Zoom into June with a low carb VrooOOOM!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning, Zoomers! 🙂
    Mariet – a virtual hug from me too! I echo everything SueBlue has said. Also, don’t put any more pressure on yourself by feeling you must lose the 2kg by your daughter’s wedding… just do the best you can, knowing that once the big day arrives, that pressure will disappear. I’m sure if you have to ask a colleague to cover, under the circumstances, they will understand and be only too supportive. Maybe start now in trying to get cover in place? Meanwhile try to get at least a 20 min break at lunch time rather than working through. (I should take my own advice!) Meanwhile, deep breaths and try to enjoy the build up to the wedding as much as you can. 🙂
    Must dash to get ready for work now – I’ll pop in later! 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by kaz62
    on

Morning Zoomers – (I like this name can we keep it?) Mariet add another hug to your circle of support xx If my IT department is anything to go by another delay will come along to ease your stress but if not I agree with KazzUK – time to lean gently on a colleague you sound like someone who will have helped someone else out so time to call in a few favours xx As for the veil I’m with the offer to buy!! If you go ahead with making it don’t agree to embroidering all the flowers of the Commonwealth 😂I wish you luck – and a wonderful dayxx
    Budda’sWife loving your posts and to everyone we’re over the hump and a bank holiday for everyone in the UK – Zoom Zoom xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Mariet,
    Sorry to hear you are feeling stressed. – With regard to making a veil, how about a compromise with your daughter, if the issue is that she wants a decorated one, but can only afford a plain one, why doesn’t she buy the plain one she likes the shape off and you help out with decorating it, rather than making one from scratch?
    I used to manage the testing of IT systems, and a technique I would recommend to take the stress out of this situation is to add an extra level to your integration test plans. – I presume you have gone through the process of working out what tests are needed. – If you add to the assessment of each test required an assessment of its priority, maybe ranking between 1 and 5, what would go wrong if that test was not carried out. Then you have a document you can use to gather agreement that your assessment of priorities is correct, and that either work load within the department has to be scheduled to cover the tests or the outcome of the tests not being carried out is acceptable. – This moves it away from asking people in the department to take on the work, to getting it put on formal footing that the work needs to be done any you will not be there. Don’t forget to add either a section for your boss to sign on the document, or set it up with emails that there is a clear documented trail that your boss has made the decision. So you don’t feel the stress is on your shoulders.
    Finally, I heard an interesting article on radio 4 yesterday regarding easing stress. – It has been identified that spending 5 minutes before the start of an exam just writing about how stressed you feel reduces stress so much that it results in an average half a grade improvement on results. (So a B+ becomes an A) – Apparently what they saw was that students started off writing about how worried they were and then moved on to how they had done the best they could in revision, and faced what the reality of the impact if they didn’t get the grade they wanted which calmed them so they could focus on doing the best in the exam. – The professor who ran this study was so convinced on the benefits that he now has a blank page on the front of all his exam papers and incorporates this process in every exam he sets his students.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello DCT

When you get your new digital scales you will be able to track your weight loss. As long as the weight is heading in a downward direction I don’t think it really matters what the numbers say. I bought some digital scales last year and there is an app on my phone so I can see the weekly/monthly/yearly trend and it’s very interesting. Like you, I too am a bit all over the place and although my intentions were really good, events have scuppered my plans too. I have a hen party at the weekend but my plan is to do very strict days around events where I feel I want to indulge a little and then keep to plan at all other times. Today I am fasting again for 24 hours. You’ve done so well dropping three dress sizes; that is an amazing achievement. The fact that we are still here since our start in January 2017 is testimony to how much we want this and we know how hard we had to work to lose our weight so there is no going back. Looking forward to you seeing the digital downward graph and sharing your progress with us.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Dreams
    Yes, invest in a new pair of digital scales. Just be prepared to weight slightly more though! (or you may weight less if you’re lucky!) Both myself and Tillybud bought new scales around the same time and much to our dismay, I weighed 2.5 lbs more and Tilly around 5 lbs I think! It really irked us and for a few weeks! LOL. Eventually we just had to let it go and accept the new number but yes, as you say, you’ve still lost the same number of kgs, regardless of the correct starting weight.
    BuddhasWife – we call that a light bulb moment! 🙂 Like you’ve thrown off the shackles and a bright, healthy future awaits you! 🙂
    JGwen – that’s a brilliant idea regarding the veil! Interesting info about stress. We could apply that to all walks of life. You’re BSD’s walking encyclopedia! 🙂
    Kaz62 – were you born in 1962? I was just wondering as I was! 🙂
    I shall return later, mes amies … 🙂

on

Mariet – sorry to hear that you’re not in a good place. I bet that daughter has not realised what a stressful situation she may be putting you in. Might be time for a chat with her and hopefully you can come to a compromise regarding the veil. Stress affects us all in different ways, I lost my voice through stress and was shocked when my speech therapist pointed out that stress was the cause. I had no idea. Take good care of yourself Mariet, the wedding will be a wonderful occasion.. I hope that work come up with a solution so that you don’t have to worry about it whilst you’re away. Fingers crossed that there may be more delays that hold up the software integration testing!

• posted by kaz62
    on

Hi KazzUk yes born in 62 hence the unwanted pounds and night sweats 😳funny that both the Kazzes are 1962😂 JGwen will be adopting your idea around IT testing for my job xx great ideas in here on all aspects of life 😃

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thank you so much for all the support and the very good advice. I feel better after doing more investigations and making plans today. A couple of work colleagues have offered to tag team to cover the integration testing while I’m gone- if it even goes ahead. All IT people seem to be good at over promising and under delivering- no offence meant to you, JGwen, I’m sure you ran a model team 🙂
    Neither has ever done integration testing before but hopefully with ultra basic instructions and support from the project manager they’ll get through it.
    I had also a heart to heart with my daughter about the veil. The problem isn’t that she wants it particularly heavily decorated, she just wants 2 tiers, ivory, fingertip length, with satin ribbon binding. If she’d organised it weeks ago no problem but to get one off the shelf so close to the wedding they are charging an arm and a leg or so it seems to us. $330 or 185 pounds which seems a lot for something she will only wear during the ceremony. I can buy bridal quality tulle and make it for less than $50. A long as I don’t make a mess of it. She is extremely indecisive, unlike her mother, and likes to go away and mull over things before making a decision but she’s left it a bit late for that luxury. Still, we’ve agreed to go on Saturday morning and she has agreed to at least look at veils without the edging which seems to be what pushes the price up. I’d be very willing to contribute to the cost just so that she is happy with how she is looking on the day.
    Foodwise another good day today, there were lots of cakes and things on offer today, leftovers from a big morning tea in the Birth Unit but not even tempted. Forgot to eat until 2 and had supper at 6.30 so a very short eating window today. I’ll continue weighing every day but I’m determined not to let the scales get to me and realistically, the couple of kilos won’t show under my dress. I’m really looking forward to two weeks holiday!

Keep on keeping on everyone and thanks again for your kind words.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Mariet, I hope you don’t mind me hopping in. I made both my daughters wedding dresses and have quite a lot of experience in sewing. I have been making clothing and other stuffs since I was 12…I am now 61.

To have a two tier veil, it does not have to be made in two pieces. One folded in the right place and attached to the headpiece is the way to go. The ribbon only has to be sewn on around the netting and will not be needed to be sewn on both sides of the tulle as it wont be shown in that much detail up close or on photographs. The biggest problem is that satin ribbon and tulle are difficult (slippy) fabrics to work with. There are special sewing machine feet that you can buy. It is difficult to pin the ribbon on place. Also I would recommend only sewing at the edge of the ribbon. I apologise if I am giving you information you don’t need.

I was immensely proud on my daughter’s wedding days. Much was made of the fact that the dresses were made by me and as mothers don’t get to do much in the wedding, it made me more of a part of it.

The most important thing is to enjoy such a joyous occasion. I wish you well and your daughter every happiness in her future married life.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

No offence taken Mariet, all my work was on safety critical computer systems (aircraft systems or communication, or power stations) so much more formal techniques applied to the management of development and testing compared to your average IT department.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy Friday, Zoomers and a long weekend end for us in the UK and the US …..
    I hope the weather forecast is better for you than here in the UK? Today starts 9 days of rain forecast, at least here in the Midlands!
    I’m not complaining, we’ve had a couple of great weather weeks and for that I am grateful! 🙂
    What are everyone’s plans for the weekend?
    Kazzeexx

• posted by zinny
    on

I will be battling the garden, my how the grass grows!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Mariet – glad to read you have a plans in place for work cover and your daughter’s veil. I bet you feel loads better today? 🙂
    Mary – how talented you are! 🙂 I bet your daughters’ dresses were amazing! They must have felt very special!
    JGwen – you really have changed your working life around! What you’re doing now, was that your dream? I must confess, I have very restless spells. The company I work for has grown from just one office and 350 people, to offices practically worldwide and despite the message they keep repeating about how important and valued everyone is, when the chips are down, you’re just a number… There are are people on my floor who’s names I don’t know! There’s progress, and there’s progress! After nearly 21 years, I don’t recognise the place and the name changed. I liked the quirky original name! Call me an old fossil! 🙂

• posted by Amarela
    on

We could do with some of the rain over here Kazz, having a historically hot May and my grass is starting to scorch. I can’t remember ever having to water the grass here? But I’m not complaining!

I decided to do a 24 hour fast to see if it would kick me out of this plateau and it’s going surprisingly well, 4 more hours to go. About to go walk the doggo hope I’m still standing afterwards 😄

Have a nice weekend everyone!

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Sorry I’ve been rather AWOL zoomers – I’ve been really busy and stressed and fallen off the wagon a bit… Well a lot.. It included a dominoes, alcohol and malteasers 😂

Lovely to read about all of your successes, particularly those of you who have reached goals or crossed important milestones such as BMI categories. Sorry to those who are struggling – I was interested to read about the link between stress and weight gain, what a vicious circle that could get you in to!

My first week loss was a very disappointing 0.6lbs but I have weighed myself this morning and lost a further 1.6lbs so I’m feeling a bit better. Only have myself to blame anyway! I’m currently sitting at 134.8 which puts me 2.8lbs off one of my second target – I would love to reach that by the end of week 2, so I’m going to ramp up the exercise and try and be at least a little sensible at my friend’s birthday tomorrow.

Adios amigos

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi, I’m a little late to the party ! Can I still join you ?. This is day one for me, so early days. It’s going to be 1 day at a time, I’ve got a week off work which is great, so I can concentrate on getting my head in the right place. Over the next 3 weeks, until the end of the challenge, I’d like to lose ‘some’ weight, I know I will but more important is to get regular eating patterns and come off the dreaded carbs. I’m taking it easy at the moment and being kind to myself !

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hello my friends!
    Mariet, great to hear that the stressfull situation seem to have calmed down! You’re realy doing your very best all the time and more can not be done. God luck with the wedding to you and your family!
    I’ve had a wonderful time that includes a unexpected “carbparty” yesterday. Last meeting in a workgroup ended with a piece of the classic Swedish “prinsesscake”. Thats my favorit no 1 so I decided to eat. And what a joy! It was so delicious and every bite gave me maximum culinary enjoyment. The night before I overeat a herbstuffed rosted chicken I cooked. It was so good that I decided to never again by chicken that’s grilled in the store. They have a lot of strange chemicals with e-numbers we try to avoid. Even arooma! Thats so stupid! I will keep to my ecological home-cooked instead. Maby by 3 or 4, cook all at once and freeze in portions.
    I’ve gone upp 200 g but honestly, it was so worth it. It will take a week more to get to target but considering I have been obese for so long its ok. I’m still in overweight range. This weekend I even eat more of that kind. Tomorrow is a big medieval banquet with friends. It start with lunch and goes on the whole day and night.
    I will enjoy! Monday morning I hope I still can stay positive even if wheigt is up a bit more. 😌
    Beeing positiv makes it easier for me both to stay on the wagon and get back up when I chose to eat wheigt adding food. As long as I’m honest and make conscious decisions I’m at peace with myself.
    Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend with whatever food you choose to eat!
    ❤️

• posted by Momof2
    on

Hello fellow zoomers,
    Mariet- so lovely to hear things have calmed down a bit. Good luck with the wedding prep.
    Kirstily- sorry to hear you have been stressed, hope things resolve for you soon
    Seadog- looks like you have got it sussed in terms of when to start on the journey

As you all know I went back to the drawing board. Dividing the calories over two meals has mostly solved the “snacking” in the evening problem. So, huge thanks for that suggestion.

With the help of my fitness pal app I have spotted another problem. I am eating far too many carbs in a day- easily over 100g a day. I have cut out bread, pasta, biscuits etc. However, I am a vegetarian who is allergic to eggs, so, when I try and get enough protein I also seem to have excess carbs. Most people here seem to limit is to 50 or even 20g a day.

I would be really grateful for some advice on what may help. My husband has suggested substituting one or two meals with a high protein meal replacement but, it feels too unappealing and also not really sustainable when it comes to thinking about longer term. At a total loss. I have tried using salad recipes and just omitting the meat but I then get hungry very quickly. Would drinking water when I felt hungry after a meal help? What have your experiences been?

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Momof2 – Have you tried tofu? It’s low carb high protein! I know what you mean though… A lot of vegetarian sources of protein (pulses, nuts) etc are also relatively high carb. Also don’t underestimate cheese, which is basically zero carb!!

• posted by Momof2
    on

Thanks Kirstily- will look into tofu. Never had it before or cooked with it so here’s to some learning….
    I love cheeses and have been asked to avoid them due to impact on cholesterol. Perhaps I can revisit them and find one that is allowed….

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Mumof2.

First of all have a look at the ingredients you were using which added up to 100g of carb. – Perhaps you can swap some for lower carb options?

Then as well as tofu , also there is a particular black bean which is very low carb and I know luvtocook shared a recipe for using it in hummus. If you do a search you should find that. – Also probably that particular species of black bean could be used in pulse dishes. Greek yoghurt is high protein.

I would be interested in discussing why you are focused on a target level of protein. – As a vegi myself, who has been on this WOE since mid October, I haven’t found any problems in just focusing on carbs and cal intake and not worrying about the ratio of protein to fat on a day to day basis. – I am down around 6 stone so far, and am gently keeping on keeping on with the aim now of getting down one more dress size. (Still have some of the old spare tyre).

Perhaps what would help you more is to look at some of the research about this way of eating and how the body uses food. – This is very different to other diets where you are cutting calories and then trying to fight the bodies methods of compensating for being in starvation mode and using its muscles for fuel. – If you get the carbs right down, you get insulin down and the body can just change to using your fat stores for fuel, it doesn’t need to turn to the muscles for a fuel source. There’s a link to a youtube video of a presentation by Dr Bikman on the Take a look at this thread that I posted which may help explain this more.

I would be really interested in hearing from anyone else who has views on the importance of the ratio of protein with links to the research that helped them form those views. But to my mind we are using the mechanics of a system designed to allow us to continue to be effective hunters even after we haven’t eaten for a few days. We are going low carb to put our bodies into a fasting state, and when fasting you wouldn’t be having anything. Providing we keep the carbs down so the insulin is down, so the body can access its fat stores our low insulin levels will mean we will benefit from autophagy.

• posted by Momof2
    on

Hi JGwen!
    Thank you for your detailed reply. Will look at the links suggested and revisit how this way of living really works.
    With respect to protein- my understanding was that the feeling of satiety and protection of muscle came from ensuring adequate protein intake. In hindsight that is clearly not correct esp if it has not bothered you.
    I will try substituting lower carb options and reducing portion sizes focusing more on calories and carbs and see where that gets me.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Momof2, just to expand a bit on JGwen’s very knowledgeable post…In the past, pre-BSD, I had some hair loss when
    going too low on protein, so I did some research before adopting this way of life 23 months ago. I discovered this
    formula, which I’ve used throughout, and even though I’ve lost 50% of my body weight, I feel that I haven’t sacrificed
    any of my muscle mass: “.5 – 1.5g of protein for every kg of IDEAL body weight”. I decided on 1g per kg of ideal body
    weight. Just something else to consider…. I fully realize that my results are purely anecdotal. You will surely arrive
    at what’s best for you. Wishing you every success,

Allie

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Momof2, I agree with the advice Allie and JGwen have given.
    I’m not vegetarian but like to eat non-meat meals as much as I can. I love tofu as it’s so versatile. It’s lovely in stir fries.
    Also I wanted to mention the importance of eating healthy fats, as fat helps with keeping you feeling full. Avocados, olive oil and nuts are some examples.
    With cheeses – there are lower fat (and therefore lower cholesterol ones) you can have – ricotta and cottage cheese spring to mind, and I think feta is too.
    I’m not sure about haloumi, but I find that is very filling, so I use it as a protein source.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi all but especially Marie123 just popping into say hi and well done! I know we’ve kind of mirrored each other going on down the scales.

I’m not posting much now as I’m firmly embedded at 9stone. I would quite like that number to begin with an 8, but all I am doing is the 16:8 and sticking to low carb high fibre high fat and it is slowly edging its way down – a real gradual decline, however at this weight every llb has a noticeable effect. I order dresses etc online and refuse to let myself buy anything that isn’t a uk size 8, always expecting them to be too small, but they always fit (apart from white jeans, they seem to be my nemesis!)

Anyway, keep on trucking guys, it’s worth it!

PS: has Esnecca gone for good? She was such an inspiration and help when I started – along with Theo and Alliecat and California Girl and Verano and SunnyB …. ha, sounds like an Oscar acceptance speech and i’m Sure I’ve missed someone out, so just like an Oscar speech!

• posted by Momof2
    on

Thank you Allie and Sue for adding to JGwen’s knowledgable post.
    All very good ideas. I have started incorporating them and dare I say it definitely notice difference in hunger.
    I am now confident I can get there with all of you.
    Thank you ever so much all of you for your support and patience.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all!
    Mumof2, I think all abowe said is safe and sound!
    When i learned on this forum you have to drop carbs to 20 to make 800 effective I went to internet and the calculator I liked the best is this
    https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    It makes all the math and I check in now and then to see if I need to recalculate. As Allie recommend I shose 1.4 g protein/k bodyweight.
    Its easy. Just follow the steps.
    It will probaly warn you in red highlighted text like this:
    “That is an enormous deficit and extremely hard. Start with 20% if you are unsure.”
    But keep to your numbers! We all know that this way of eating is working! I have a deficit of about 50%.
    When the calculation is done go to your MyFitnessPal and put in the numbers. Done!
    I to use MFP and its my way to keep track of everything. (Love it so much I decided to pay for the premium witch open up more options I like.)
    Allie, I have chosen protein
    according to my present wheigt so that the muscles stay intact. Why should one take the desired weight? I think I’ve might missed something important here!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good day, everyone!
    Buddhaswife, it is my understanding that excess protein each day gets stored as fat, just the same as carbs. All we
    require is the amount necessary to maintain an ideal body weight. Some research suggests that only .5g per kg of
    ideal body is all that is necessary, and 1.5g is the figure to use if one engages in heavy weight training to build muscle
    mass. When I began I was too disabled to do much exercise, so I chose the middle of the road 1g 🙂 Even today, in
    maintenance, I don’t come up to the 62g a day that the charts say I should for a 5’7″, 138lb woman. I simply can’t
    eat that much! It averages out to be @ 52g per day. Another source stated for individuals on a reduced calorie diet,
    woman should consume @ 50g of protein, and men 60g. I would be happy to post links, but I did the research almost
    2 years ago, so I don’t recall my sources. Sorry 🙂 I’m not a gym bunny, so I basically just do brisk walking, as well
    as use 5lb weights, on a very haphazard schedule, as my form of exercise. What form of exercise suits you?
    I hope that I haven’t managed to confuse you further by attempting to answer your question 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy Sunday afternoon, Zoomers! 😁
    Apologies for not being around yesterday. I spent a very satisfying afternoon in the garden, chopping and clipping away at the jungle. Now though, I can see much more clearly what else needs to be done! I’m planning on having a go at growing some veg in large bag containers starting with courgette, green beans and lettuce.
    How’s everyone getting on? Its always challenging for me when on holiday or just a long weekend but having planned meals in advance, I’m finding that very helpful!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Thanks Allie!
    That explains why I think it so difficult to reach my proteins! I was about to ask about this in the forum and then you posted an answer.
    I will try it your way!
    Mumof2, You might consider this change if you use the keto Calc-link! Hope I don’t confuse you either!
    Gym bunny. Another nice expression!
    So much to learn on this forum!
    Hi KazzUK!
    I’m also having a garden day! Sun is allover the country and farmers are really worried about the drought. Our garden though is in a moist sloop so it will be ok. 😄

on

Got down to 134.4 earlier in the week and so was on schedule for this week’s target of 134 lb, got on the scales this morning and weighed 137.8. Went to my daughter in law’s hen party cream tea yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly but didn’t over eat and actually brought the cakes home for my husband. Today I am going to drink 4 litre of water and fast until lunchtime tomorrow. There is no way I will hit 134 lb tomorrow but I will aim for it at some point next week. No regrets about partaking of the cream tea- back to it again today. Hope everyone is having a good week. Got sixteen drinks of water to drink today- already had two!

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hello my friends! Hope you all had a very nice weekend!
    At the medieval party I eat a lot of meat cheese nuts and salad. No potato bread or wine.
    So last monday the week began at 87.88 kg was down, up (prinsesscake), down, up (medieval party) and finaly down and today landed on 87,29/192.4 lb. It’s down 0,59 kg/1,3 lb. I’m a bit surprised (and very pleased 😌).
    I wonder if its working because it was still low in carbs but very high in fat, protien and calories?

Allie, thank you so much for the protein info! I did some searching and found it on a swedish site. Feel much more relaxed now when the protein mysterium is solved. Thanks!
    Next thing to learn is what ketoneparticels are and how they work. Any link will be greatly appreciated.
    I wish everyone a beautiful day!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, JGwen! I’m always looking for ways to increase my knowledge, and you come through for us with another
    link 🙂 It may have been before you joined us here, but I had an interesting discussion with Esnecca on how to integrate
    the wt. of loose skin with scale loss. If you recall, she lost 200+lbs following a strict version of the BSD…Using calipers
    to grab fat must be different than using them to measure deflated skin? I actually asked my doctor one day what he
    thought the loose skin weighed, and he estimated 10-15lbs! That might be reasonably accurate, because today I
    look much the same as in the past when I weighed @ 125lbs., although I actually weigh 138lbs., which according to
    BMI charts is an ideal weight for my height. Conclusion? If I where to lose anymore, it might just create more loose
    skin! Essie and I didn’t reach any conclusion other than there was really no way to measure this short of skin removal
    surgery when they actually weigh it 🙂 I HATE the bingo wings, so I press on with 18:6 to see if that makes a difference!
    Any thoughts?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Alliecat, I sent you an email this morning on just the same topic. I thought I would bounce some ideas off you as part of the process of trying to join the dots for myself. But at the same time being respectful that the purpose of BSD is about helping people to get their blood sugar levels under control. Sometimes I worry about those of us who use repeated cycles of BSD to loose large amounts of weight muddying the water.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I haven’t checked my mail yet, JGwen, but will do so this afternoon. I appreciate that we can be divided into 2 groups, also!
    I think I try to square that circle with the belief that insulin resistance is heading toward prediabetes and T2D, so it’s all
    part of a continuim anyway. I have so much respect for Krysia, Verano, Marie123, sunshine-girl and others that have
    kicked their disease to the curb! What a frightening diagnosis, and yet they remain here and educate the rest of us!
    More, later 🙂

Allie

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Stop worrying JGwen, Alliecat and all of you who have had a long journey are amazingly inspirational and so supportive of newbies to this WOE like me.
    I will read ANYTHING that furthers my understanding and the science that underpins it. Yesterday I read Clever Guts which makes abundantly clear why cheating is just self-sabotage and now reading Grain Brain by David Permitted. I’m even switching the dogs over to a low carb diet. I’m a real convert and so grateful for the knowledge shared by those of you with a wealth of experience.
    Maggie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JGwen and Allie and Maggie
    I absolutely agree that we are all part of the same continuum and are just at different stages on the same journey towards T2D. This forum is so interesting and never boring. It’s great to be able to discuss our progress and the science behind this WOE with like minded people – I think my husband, family and friends often wish I would just stop talking about it, but are just too nice to say so.

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very Happy Birthday, Krysia! I will be following you over the mountain to my 7th decade when Oct. rolls around 🙂 It
    seems fairly irrelevant though, when we feel so healthy and full of energy and life. Family and friends don’t really under-
    stand where we have been, do they? Fortunately, the community here does though, and we can ramble on forever 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning, Zoomers!
    I hope everyone had a lovely extended weekend?
    Halfway through this 4 week challenge, I’ll kick things off with reporting 1 lb loss. Like last week, it was more yesterday but I’ve fluctuated up again over night. So how has everyone else done? 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by zinny
    on

Just completed my first week yesterday and I can report a 10 lb loss. Woooooo hooooo! I know it won’t continue like that but I’m hoping for 2 lb next week. Just got to say the forum is a great help, reading about others tips and experiences is very interesting and helpful. Thank you to all

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Good morning everyone,

I had a lovely long weekend, we were so lucky here with the sunny weather.

These last 4 days I’ve been fasting until about 4 then having a small snack at 4 and having my dinner about 8, it’s definitely helped me with regards to snacking during the day. I would never have thought I’d be capable of fasting I’ve always struggled with feeling keeping my blood sugars stable, they always go up and down which makes me feel faint and lightheaded and sweaty at times. Anyway this has been working really well for me, so I’m happy 😃!
    I’ve lost 1kg this week, like you Kazz it was more yesterday but I’ve fluctuated also over night ( frustrating) but I’ve not paid a visit to the bathroom for quite some days now so that will also help. ( sorry probably tmi!!!)

Anyway good luck everyone with your results this week, I love reading everyone’s posts even if I don’t post very often myself!
    Xx

• posted by Momof2
    on

Belated birthday wishes Krysia.

JGwen- thank you for the link

Pleased to report a 1lb weight loss this week.

Thank you for the inspiration, conversation and support everyone.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Good morning everyone, no weight change…….. Again…… 🙁 But continued inch loss. One inch off both waist and hips, and a substantial increase in squidgyness. My body has moved on to working on my spare tyre so a large area of fat to work on.

Last week we had the number of bikini’s lost, I would like to suggest we also need to come up with a standard measurement of how squidgy an area of fat is for the weekly tally of losses.

on

Am in the middle of a 42 hour fast that ends at lunchtime today. This morning I am 135 lb so two off my original goal weight. . Was 137.8 yesterday after my daughter in laws hen party cream tea! Aiming to be 130 by 23rd June, the wedding day. Going to try two 24 hour fasts a week- Sunday and Thursday and see how I get on with that. Have a good week everyone. Some nice steady losses coming through. Keep plodding everyone. We know this way of eating works.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning zoomers! Great losses in weight and measurements.
    I’m pleased to have lost 3kg or about 6,5lbs this week after completely plateauing for the week before. My goal was to lose the first 20kg by the time we leave for hols, I’ve 10 days and and 3kg to go to that 😬

Of course I am very aware that losing weight of paramount for health reasons but I find it easy to focus on something easily measurable like the the numbers on the scales… but I can honestly say that following this way of life has improved my life in every way!

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi all
    Sorry have been busy traveling and my phone took a tumble into some water but reports are generally good after my fall from the wagon I got back on track and yesterday was -1lb but similar to so many that was yesterday!! Today back up!!
    Water whilst traveling is impossible for me, so I know that is the missing piece to my puzzle and traveling to London again today & back tomorrow.
    Stress we all know & as trying to help sort my son and his numerous medical issues which have all gone awry during his exam period it has been difficult but no gain and in the zone so happy
    Good luck to everyone xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Thanks for the message MaggieBath,
    It brought me up short a little while ago when I saw someone posting about banana pancakes for breakfast. It turns out that this is one of the recipes in the BSD book. Which set me thinking and I flicked through the BSD book again the other day. – It struck me that the BSD is about dropping the big white group of carbs, and cutting cals for a short period and then going back to a gentle weight loss program. So those of us who are using apps to log carbs, setting targets, discussing insulin resistance, discussing research on autophagy, protein targets etc and staying on fasting mimicking diets for better measured in years than weeks have gone way way beyond the aims of this forum website/forum. I know of a couple of people who’s health is suffering because of their eating patterns but found the idea of the BSD too daunting. – It worries me that seeing the chat on these forums about the even more intensive eating patterns some of us are following may be putting off other people who venture far enough into the BSD WoE to read the forums.
    On the other hand, if I was one of the staff managing this website, I would have a full research project on the go by now, monitoring who was achieving what, which research was being discussed, etc etc.

• posted by Mariet
    on

I came to this WOE by way of a work mate who suggested it for weight loss. I’ve been on the forum for 16 months and my focus has really changed in that time. I’ve taken on board the low carb, incorporated elements of the Clever Guts diet, tried to increase my incidental excercise and overall, formulated a way of eating that suits me and largely fits BSD. I’m pretty happy to have lost a quarter of my body weight and kept it off for a year- I dropped lower and came back up but still a quarter is gone.

I think we’re all trying to find our own equilibrium going forward and I’m so grateful to have found this WOE and for this wonderful supportive forum.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Zinny and Amarela – fabulous losses! 🙂 Nothing will boost you more than those! 🙂
    Denise Susan – yes, it’s difficult to drink water when travelling, particularly as I don’t like using public lavs or particularly ones on trains! I forgot my lemon today so am drinking warm water without the slice of lemon, but that’s how I manage to get my water intake up … warm lemony water!
    JGwen, what percentage of squidgy? 50% more? 25% more? !! Good idea!
    Sarah, Momof2, CCathy – excellent work also!
    I’ll post the tally for this week later today once everyone has finished weighing in! Right, back to the grindstone… 🙂
    Kazzeexx

Please log in or register to post a reply.