Zoom into June with a low carb VrooOOOM!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kazzee and Cathy,
    I seem to be at a similar stage to yourselves. My scales are not changing, however I am seeing changes to body shape. I have bought one of the scales that reads fat levels as well, I know they are not very accurate, but I hope that they are consistently inaccurate so I will be able to notice trends on fat / lean mass.

• posted by carothomas
    on

Hi Zoomers!

Thanks KazzUK for your support and help. I actually do plan meals in advance already (get me!) but I’ll admit that I worked out the calories and carbs in last night’s dinner after we’d eaten it! It was a Gousto recipe we used to have and I checked the nutrition and thought “That’ll be fine when I replace the potatoes with courgette fries”. MFP gave me a very different calorie count to the Gousto one! And I was also guilty of looking at the ingredients and thinking “That’ll be low carb”. It was higher in calories *and* carbs than I expected! But for a non-800 day I was fairly happy to still be under 50g carbs and around 1000kc. I’m starting to think I’m insulin resistant – I seem to see my best blood sugar results and weightloss when I stick to closer to 20g carbs, something I’m still getting my head around. My sugars were better today, still not great, sigh. And although the scales aren’t moving much, I’m now expecting a whoosh, sometime this week, I hope! But, I am determined to KOKO – this WOE does work, I just have to be patient.

Have a good day, all!
    Caro
    x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy lunchtime, Zoomers!
    Apologies for the delay in getting last week’s total poundage lost to you all. I was just waiting to see if anyone else had anything to report like BuddhasWife. Okay, the total lost at the end of week 3 is…. 18.8 lbs and 1 inch off JGwen’s hips! Woohoo, well done every body and give yourselves a big clap! 🙂
    I guess we should start thinking about the name for the next 4 week challenge which will begin 12 June and end 10 July? Anyone like to volunteer to host?
    We’re on the final lap now, my friends – let’s crank up our engines, and fly through to the finish line with our best weekly loss possible! 🙂
    Kazzeexxxx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

This came to me, so I’ll start us off…
    I SPY WITH MY LITTLE EYE, A SMALLER SIZE BY THE 10TH OF JULY!
    YOU CAN ALWAYS RELY ON A LOW CARB JULY!
    Okay, over to you all!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi there Zoomers!
    How’s everyone getting on? You’re all very quiet! Is it still school holidays this week for some people?
    What’s for lunch? Today I have a roast chicken thigh and broccoli, asparagus and green bean salad and a home made dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and dijon mustard. Yum yum!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by carothomas
    on

Morning all!

Thanks for posting the cracker test Kazz, I’m really interested to try that. I’m on a fast day today so I’ll be having scrambled eggs for lunch as I’m feeling very lazy! Currently enjoying the first of my two coffees of the day and celebrating the slow fall in my BGL over the last few days. Still not where i want them, but going in the right direction! The scales also rewarded me with a small .75lb loss this morning but everything counts, right?! I am .5lb from moving down into the next stone – so close I can almost touch it! I have my fingers crossed for my official Tuesday weigh in!

I am so grateful for the community here – it really does help so much when everything seems like a struggle. Knowing that there are so many people out there that have succeeded and are in maintenance and feel healthy and happy is a massive incentive. So thanks to all of you for continuing to support us.

Happy Zooming!
    Caro
    x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Caro, I have no doubt you will get to the lower stone by Tuesday! Great news! Yep, every little counts! I’ve been rubbish the last 2 days drinking water so am back on my 6 mugs of warm water with lemon slice today. 3 in the morning (1 litre) and 3 in the afternoon! I don’t know if it’s my imagination but my face seems much clearer when drinking the water. I’ve been plagued with acne rosacea since turning 50. I took antibiotics for about 8 months after 3 years which cleared it up, but then that’s when I developed gut and digestive problems from then on (and on researching remedies for that, came across this website and the rest is history). I’m still prone to a few pimples now and then but I mostly manage it with a routine of acqueous to remove make up, nivea to moisturise, then an hour later apply sudocrem – every night – keeps it at bay! But less likely to produce pimples when drinking the water! xxxx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all!
    Just back from a business trip and scale today is 86.11. What!?No wheigt gain! Still can’t believe it. Eating lika a horse (ok; cut out rice on indian restaurant, and hade proper breakfast every day, and drank water, and logged all the goodies in MFP) but still.
    Don’t remember my wheigt from last week but it was not 86.11 kg!
    I realy hope to find time to read all your comments. There are so many pages! What a lively thread! What a nice energy going on!
    Guess there’s a lot of success and a mountain of anvious and intriguing work beeing done here!
    So its safe to say in advance: Good work! Congrats! Yes! Keep up the good work!
    Like to share a quote I saw on Fifbit blogg.
    “Today I love myself enough to do a workout.”
    It’s a keeper. Right? 😉

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi everyone! Only 5 days until we flip over to a new 4 week challenge 🙂 I so hope that everyone will be continuing on
    with us, newbies and maintainers alike! We all need to help Kazz out with the new title! I like “I spy…”. It makes me
    smile. You’re doing great Caro!!! Buddhaswife, I’ve missed your cheeful posts, so it’s good to know that you’re back
    in the fold, after your business trip. Thank you for putting up the Guardian link! I agree 1000% percent 🙂 The forums
    are indeed the secret weapon we all have, and it’s in the sharing and social interaction that we gain strength. When
    I finally found my way here 10 months ago, I was several months into maintenance, but I was an anxious mess over
    my constant preoccupation with my husbands health concerns. Within literally days of joining, my anxiety levels
    began to drop, and taking an interest in the welfare of others is what made all the difference! Now everyone here
    is “family” to me, an it has enriched my life beyond measure. Let’s finish up strong!

xoxo
    Allie

• posted by carothomas
    on

Regarding the title for the next 4 week thread, I like both your ideas, Kazzee! I’m rubbish at rhymes so I’m not sure that I’ll come up with anything. I’m still intending to call everyone Zoomers, though 🙂

Caro
    x

• posted by alliecat
    on

My lame contribution, Kazz! Reach for the sky, low carbs in July!

• posted by marie123
    on

I thought I’d give it a try
    ‘Flying high, low carbs in July’ – although to be honest I prefer Allie’s.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Allie, thank you so much! Hope your husband is ok now.
    Family! Yes.
    Back in routine, wheigt is down a little. Step by step, gram by gram, kg by kg, and before you know it its time for smaller clothes! 16 kg off now and just took out an old shirt that suddenly fit… 😁

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

I vote for Allie’s:
    Reach for the sky, low carbs in July!
    Because all Zoomers will KOKO in july.
    Agree with Caro, will keep calling us “zoomers”. 😄
    (Maby:
    Zoomers reach for the sky! Low carbs in july!)

• posted by JGwen
    on

It maybe difficult to keep Zoom in the thread name every month, but I do like the idea.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m with you, JGwen! We all love “zoomers”… “Zoomers, Reach For The Sky! Low Carbs in July!” I like it, Buddhaswife!

• posted by carothomas
    on

Ooh, I love this – “Zoomers, Reach For The Sky! Low Carbs in July!”. Great job, Buddhaswife.

So, I completed my first 8 weeks and lost 1stone 5lbs, which I’m thrilled about. I have about a stone and a half to go to get into my target weight. I decided to give myself a break and do 5:2 for 3-4 weeks and then do another 8 weeks 800kc/20g as I discovered towards the end of tmy first stint that the 20g carbs really does seem to apply to me. I’m finding it interesting that on my non-fast days I pretty much do the same as I was on the 800 days anyway. Not all the time, but the WOE is entrenched, even down to the amounts! My issue though is that I am *still* struggling with the no carbs thing, especially now that I have the freedom of non fast days. So yesterday, for the first time in 10.5 weeks I had half a jacket potato! And I ate some lentil crisps that turned out to also have rice and potato flour in them (I knew before I ate them). So, my question is to the long-termers and maintainers – do you ever have carbs and accept the spikes that go along with it? Or do you now choose to not ever indulge? I appreciate and accept that it’s better to avoid but I’m not sure I can do that forever. Seriously, no more sushi, ever?! I’m also wondering if there are any articles regarding the longterm effects of going low carb – is it healthy to permanently stay so low? I think I know the answers to these questions really, I just need to vent a bit and be encouraged.

Caro
    x

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello. I hadn’t realised that this challenge was almost over but I’m delighted. I so need to get back to plan and the new challenge couldn’t come at a better time for me. As for a title …. a rose by any other name, and all that. Just looking forward to joining you all next week.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Caro and everyone else! Caro, you asked whether you will ever be able to eat carbs again (and congratulations on your excellent 8 week’s) — my experience is that of course, YES, you can eat some carbs, you MAY have some sushi, BUT only as a treat now and then — if you start back on the carb wagon, and you are carb-sensitive as you have stated that you are, then regular eating of carbs will start the weight gain again.
    The research is getting more and more clear — we don’t NEED white carbs and flour and rice — we live most healthfully on a vegetable and good protein and good fat diet. Actually the research is amazing — it is supporting a completely different diet than the one we were trained to eat.
    As you already discovered in your 8 weeks, carbohydrate intake affects the speed of your weight loss — so start experimenting to find your own “carb threshold” — eat a bit of good carbs (more quinoa, a bit of potato, sushi!!, and see for yourself where that takes you.
    When you stop losing and start gaining, you will have found your own carb threshold. The only real problem is that one carby meal often leads to another and it can be a slippery slope.
    Every person’s body is going to be different due to genetic differences and even different expression of specific genes — so you have to become your own body’s expert. But you are uniquely qualified to be your own expert because you’re living inside that body!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi friends!
    As you will have seen, I’ve set up the next 4 week challenge.
    I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend? I’m away at friends in Nottingham right now and am having a lovely time catching up with the girlies. We spent a wonderful afternoon yesterday at Fiona’s studio which she shares with 3 other artists. They each have a corner each. One does pottery, another glass wear, Fi and the 3rd person paint in various mediums. It was wonderful after 3 years to pick up a brush again but I am so rusty! The building was an old abandoned warehouse once used by a carpenter. He just up and left leaving all his tools and workbenches. It also has a roof terrace, where we sat and enjoyed the view over the city in the sun. It has a wood burner, fridge, microwave, sink, kettle and bathroom so you could spend days there! Lots of comfy old armchairs grouped around with plenty of plants,lots of artwork all over the walls and the wonderful smell of oils! We got back to Fi’s and their men had cooked wonderful bsd friendly food! They’re all on board with this WOE. Back home later this afternoon and on holiday at home for the week.
    I have lots of posts to catch up on so apologies for not replying to anything specific.
    Last 2 days, Zoomers. Once last sprint to the finishing line!
    Have a lovely Sunday, my lovelies! 😁👍👍😘

• posted by carothomas
    on

Hi Californiagirl – thanks so much for your lovely, helpful reply. It’s great to have such a balanced response, it’s helped a lot 🙂 As for my carb levels – indeed, sadly, mine seem to be very much on the low side. I’m looking forward to experimenting with the levels (secretly hoping they aren’t as low as I think, of course!) and may do this on my next round of Fast800 just to see if I’m right.

Caro
    x

• posted by Sleekly
    on

I’m late reporting on Tuesday weigh-in, but here goes!

168 pounds/12 stone/ 76.2 kg, down from 170.7/12.19 stone/77.4 kg the previous week. So down 2.7 pounds.

To get out of the stall I had been in I’m trying temporarily dropping dairy and filling out the holes with more veggies, salad, etc. I think I was leaning pretty heavily on the dairy and it may have been keeping me at a sluggish rate. I adore yogurt and cheese so it’s been a bit tough but I think it’s helping at this stage.

Thanks for the welcome KazzUK and Allie!

Mariet—that was funny about you being miffed you were put as large-framed by the measurement, I was miffed that I was put in small/medium! 🙂

Marie123, thanks for the props on the NSVs!

Amarela, glad to see another broad-shouldered gal here!

Buddha’s wife, thanks for your comment on the affirmation on stepping into a different frame. Whether it’s physical or emotional or both, we’re all stepping into another frame, aren’t we?

• posted by alliecat
    on

What a wonderful observation, sleekly! I agree 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning Zoomers!
    How was everyone’s weekend? I managed two 24 hour fasts Saturday and Sunday despite being away at friends for the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how everyone has done as we end this 4 week challenge tomorrow. Good luck!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by carothomas
    on

Hi Zoomers!

Kazzee, I am in awe – two 24 hour fasts? Wow! I had two birthday parties to attend this weekend – for father-in-law’s birthday. The first day I was helping a lot and barely ate anything. I sort of made up for it yesterday although I didn’t eat loads. I did eat some food I shouldn’t have, though. Oh well, that was yesterday. Onwards and downwards! See you on the July thread tomorrow!

Caro
    x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Caro – 2 bday parties in one weekend?! Sounds like you did really well with all the that temptation around! Yes, see you tomorrow!

• posted by kaz62
    on

Good morning Zoomers I’ll start the final weigh ins with a 1:6lb loss – total for the 4 weeks 7.1lb very pleased it’s slow and steady for me bmi from 27.6 – 26.6 🎉🎉🎉🎉good luck everyone the new thread will take me to my holiday on 6th July but this is keeping me accountable I havent been this weight for 10 months and feel like I’m climbing back up the slippery slope 😀thank you Kazzuk for setting up this thread will see you all on the new one xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Kaz62 – a very good weight loss for the 4 weeks.

I am reporting a 3/4 pound weight loss this week and a 2lb loss for the 4 weeks which takes me down to 9st 4 and a half pounds which is the lowest i have been since 1969. Keeping off insulin is my goal on these challenges. So another 4 weeks without insulin – I am so happy.

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

3lb weight loss this week. High for me, but after a week or so off plan this is a great start back for me. Looking forward to next 4 weeks.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning Zoomers!
    A great start to the end of this 4 week challenge. My loss for this week is 1.5 lbs with a total of 4.5 lbs over the 4 weeks. Looking forward to hearing from everyone else!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by JGwen
    on

My final results for the last 4 week challenge are :- 3 inches off my waist, 3.5 inches off my hips, the mirror and my jeans both show a reduction in the size of my thighs and a weight reduction of 0.6kg. – Yes, you read that right, just 1.32 lbs difference in weight over the last 4 weeks.

For the relative newcomers reading this thread. So often people get disheartened because scales are not moving and forget to look for Non Scale Victories (NSV) – Please remember that our bodies are 55 to 60% water (more if we are overweight). Just ask any professional jockey about the differences on the scales that salt intake and saunas make. As you increase your exercise levels you will not only be burning fat, but building muscle.

For those who have been on the forums for longer. You may recall that a little over a month ago I posted on the Take a look at this thread a link to a podcast by Bikman. – In that the role of l-carnitine in assisting in transporting fat into muscles to be burnt as fuel is described. There is a list of the top 10 sources in our diet, of which for a vegetarian eating low carb the top 9 are off the menu. – When I researched the role of L-carnitine I came across other mention that it was beneficial for people who are insulin resistant. I decided to try supplementing my diet with it for a month. It may be coincidence, but I think this is the reason for the change in dimensions but not scales. I tried to set up new bathroom scales which measure fat levels, I know they are not accurate but should give an idea of trends, unfortunately they are not working for me. They just give an error message which isn’t listed in the manual when I try to get a reading. I suspect that the skin on my feet is too thick.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all Zoomers!
    Its nice to be at GMT +2 and checking in late in the day. Then all of you already have posted! And what a week and months!
    CONGRATS ALL!!! 👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️😁😁😁
    This week (no measurement tuesday so it’s from thirsday) down 1,42 kg and total for 4 weeks is amazing 4,85 kg /10,7 lb.
    Looking for my numbers I found that one of the the two IFTTT I use to keep track on all measurements from MFP, Whitings scale and Fitbit is lying!
    Deleted that one and will stick to the correct one!
    Very happy with the overall result and realize that I’m closing in on wheigt going from overweight to healthy. Only 10 kg to go! It wasn’t long ago celebrated going from obesity to overweight. It’s going so fast! I will do this! And so will you!
    Thank you to all of you for the lovley support!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Buddhas Wife

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Zoomers! Well my reckoning for our weekly loss this week is 9.75 lbs. without going through the last 4 weeks posts, collectively we’ve lost approx 80 lbs between us and several inches which is pretty fantastic! So I’m signing off from this thread now and will see you all on the next 4 week challenge thread. Onwards and downwards Zoomers! 😁 xxx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done all and thanks Kazz for keeping this thread going.
    I’ve been MIA the last few weeks, am on leave from work and have lots going on at home, have been away etc. While I haven’t been counting calories I’ve pretty much been sticking to on plan foods, with a few glasses of wine thrown in!
    I did manage to lose a total of 1.6kg, so over 3lbs across the challenge weeks.
    See you all in the next challenge thread 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Kazzi, I really enjoy the visualization of the grand totals for fat lost on each of these challenges! Thank you
    for keeping a tally 🙂 Like last month, I volunteer to stop by all residences and haul all of it to the dump where it
    belongs!!! I’m overjoyed to see so many continuing on to the next challenge, and I’m officially signing off from this
    very successful thread. Great effort, everyone!!!

Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Late report-in – sorry. Meant to do it yesterday evening but fell asleep instead.

Well done to everyone – there have been some great reports, especially weight losses. But wanted to give a shout out in particular to JGwen – what an amazing loss in inches – ‘well done that woman’. Fascinating info on l-carnitine – I’d never heard of it until you mentioned it.

At the beginning of this challenge I was 9st 4lb – up from 9st 0.5lb when I went into maintenance in May. Over this challenge, I’ve lost 4 lbs so I’m at my goal of 9st. I’ve dipped up and down a little (was 8st 13.5 lb on Monday morning – wow) but happy to stick to 9st for now while I stabilise myself. My cooking is just a work in progress – what can I say. My physical activity goal has taken a bit of a dip – consistency-wise – so I need to concentrate on that.

Sleekly – that is a wonderful observation – ‘whether it’s physical or emotional or both, we’re all stepping into another frame, aren’t we?’ – I think I’ve stepped into a different frame, I just need to recognise it’s mine!
    nb – just struck me – there’s a third frame – psychological!

Kazzee – a special thanks for setting up and your support on this 4 week challenge – it’s been fantastic!

Please log in or register to post a reply.