Marching on through 2024

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

So here we are, 1st March already! 2024 is beginning to fly past but there is still plenty of time to achieve your weight loss goals for the year. This thread is a continuation of the Leap into 2024 thread which ran from New Year to Leap Day, and newcomers are more than welcome. We’re an honest, realistic, supportive and friendly bunch and do our best to keep each other moving forward.

This thread – which we often refer to as a bus 🚌 journey for reasons long since forgotten! – will run until the end of April. So it’s a great opportunity to make a significant difference to your weight and health. Hope you can join us 😀

on

I’ve just spent a very enjoyable half hour getting myself organised for this journey. Sad I know, but I love spreadsheets! So have just been setting mine up with weekly targets, colour coding etc. My hope is to get to my long term weight goal of 133lb this journey, but as I managed to lose half a stone on the last journey I realise this may slow : so any further weight loss would be very welcome. And the bottom line is I don’t want to see any regain!

On a positive note, I seem to be on a bit of a weight loss roll, and am learning what does and does not work for me at the moment. I’m also hoping that life will be less chaotic and stressful during the next journey, so I’ll have more time for regular exercise – particularly with the (hopefully!) better weather and lighter days. My danger zone is likely to be the last week in March when I’m away with my hubby and dog for a few indulgent days in a country house hotel. I know in advance I’m likely to eat and drink too much, and do want to enjoy my time away, but also want to gear up for damage limitation!!

How about you? What are your goals for this journey?

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks again, DCT, for continuing to set up these threads. It’s a lot in your busy life and I appreciate it.

Hoping to drop 2 or 3 kilos this go round- in April I have a cruise from Sydney to Hawaii via Tahiti so no promises for that time!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello and thank you for setting up the Marching on thread DCT.
    My aim for this journey is to get below 150 lb. I weighed 155 lb this morning and so I think it’s a reasonable aim to get to 149 lb I’ve not been in the 140s for a fair while. My journey is slow and I’m tweaking all the time to get the best outcomes. Our Mediterranean cruise is scheduled for 1st September and I bought a lovely dress from Vinted which won’t even zip up even thought it says it’s a size 14. I am determined to get into that dress and all my lovely summer clothes so I’m marching on to victory.
    Because my weight fluctuates up and down I weigh every morning now and divide by 7 on a Sunday and that gives me my weight. I can see my chart heading in the right direction.
    Looking forward to sharing some success this time round.
    DCT you’re not far from your goal weight now!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thank you DCT for setting up another bus trip,good luck gang! Be there or be square! X
    Ps dont forget to tick “ notify” like i just nearly did x

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,
    Well I’m strapped in and raring to go, let’s hope I can stay that way!I wasted most of our last trip so feel determined not to do the same on this one.I’m 12 stone 4 now and can’t believe I got down to around 10 st 10 lb (about a stone from my goal)then stopped and put it back on and more.I know I could lose a stone and a half on this trip if I really gave it my all and stuck 100% to food plans(which I know I must start completing weekly again as they really help me) but I would be happy with a stone loss.I think I will create another sparkly chart as I haven’t used one for a while and hopefully it will be another tool to stop me rolling off the bus!Good luck everyone🎉🚌🎉 Dawn X

on

Hello everyone
    I did my official Sunday weigh this morning and worked out the average for the week and I weighed 156. I’ve decided on a weight countdown to my September Cruise and I am going to aim for the following weights which I think are doable over the next six months. Three pounds a month apart from this month where I am going to aim to lose 6lb! No pressure! Maybe a couple of extended fasts will help.
    1st April – 150
    1st May – 147
    1st June 144
    1st July – 141
    1sr August- 138
    1st Sept – 135
    Breaking it down doesn’t look too daunting. Let’s see what reality is like. I am the world’s slowest loser!
    Here’s to a good week ahead everyone. I’m going to be mindfully eating nutritious food, low carb and throwing in a couple of fasts. I’m meeting a friend on Wednesday for lunch and am out for a curry on Thursday with some of my old vaccination team colleagues but we have to factor in that life carries on when we are losing weight.
    What are your plans and goals?

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Good evening, I somehow got off the bus before the end of its last journey but here I am again, joining in …
    Thanks DCT for helping us keep on this lovely bus.
    Well done to those who are enjoying weight loss, it does inspire us!
    I shall weigh in the morning and am doing an online shop after I end on here..

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hello everyone I’ve jumped aboard 🙂 Thanks DCT for setting our latest journey up.
    I braved the scales yesterday and weighed in at 93.9 kilos 🙁 I added an extra 2-3 kilos during the last journey (as I mentioned in my other post, I’m going the wrong way!).
    Anyway I’ve drawn a line under that. It’s not a mystery as to how I put it on – I’ve been less active and had got into some bad eating habits – eating more fast food and having irregular meal times due to a variety of reasons.
    Happy Scales is telling me i could be at goal weight (80kg) in September, which is my birthday month, so that’s the goal I’m working towards.
    My first mini goal is to get to under 90kg again.
    I’ve decided to start this week by doing a couple of small things – eating 16:8, and nourishing home cooked/prepped meals. Next week I’ll add in exercise and focus on lowering carbs. In week 3 I’ll focus on keeping calories to under 1000 a day, and so on. I’m trusting this will work better for me
    than an all or nothing approach!
    I had yogurt, berries and low sugar granola for breakfast yesterday, a yummy sweet potato, spinach and feta salad for lunch, and lentil Dahl for dinner. Today iim having overnight oats at 10am during my morning break at work, then leftover curry for lunch and corned beef salad for dinner – I cooked some corned beef silverside in my slow cooker on the weekend.
    I’m typing this on the train on the way to work so will leave this here but hope everyone else is off to a good start 🙂

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Hi SueBlue, your approach seems good, so should work for you. Love the sound of your menu too…
    I did weigh in and was happy to see 2lbs down! Off to a good start!

on

Hello everyone. One week in – how are we all doing? At the end of week 1 I’m the same wight as I started, but seeing as I started from a low weight that’s a bit of a relief. Indeed last weekend I had gained, and that song “The only way is up” filled my mind! But then during the week my weight came down again, in fact to 1lb lower than I started. And now I’m back to where I started again. But the overall trend is good – maintaining and dipping down – so I’m happy with that so far.

1960SMP welcome back on board and you’re off to a great start! I agree with you about Sue’s approach, especially the meal planning. It’s something I’ve always admired you for SUE, the way you are so creative and resourceful about putting together nutritious low carb meals. I really need to learn from you : I can do time restricted eating, and low carbs, and low cals, but I don’t think my overall nutritional “nous” is that good, and I do wonder sometimes if I’m getting the right balance of nutrients.

DAWN have you done your sparkly chart yet? I hope so, and am really cheering you on to start making progress towards your goals on this journey.

CATHY you seem very focused on your goals and they look very realistic. How great would it be to achieve them by your lovely cruise in September! And I take a similar approach to you in weighing. I like to weigh myself every morning to see the daily fluctuations and understand better what factors affect my weight loss and gain. And then at the end of the week I compare my lowest weight during the week against my weight loss target for the week to see if I’m roughly heading in the right direction.

YOWZER so glad you’re traveling with us again and hope it’s a successful journey for you too x

MARIET good luck with your goals for this journey. I’m sure you’ll achieve them all ready for your exciting trip in April. Sydney, Hawaii and Tahiti sounds fabulous!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and look forward to hearing how you’re getting on X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone and thank you DCT for your support:) Well done for maintaining.I HAVE made my sparkly chart✨ I will only be able to partially fill it in this morning though as our scales are playing up😡 I got on them and the display was going up and down with around a 2 stone variation!!!They’ve been playing up for a while so I got a new set whilst I was out shopping this morning and intended weighing myself before breakfast but I now can’t find the right screwdriver to open the battery compartment😩 I’ve had a really good week eating so measured my waist and I’ve lost 2 inches off it since I last measured it so at least the bloat is going so I will write that on my chart and maybe leave my weighing until next Friday.Hope everyone has had a good week.Dawn X

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone!
    Great going Dawn, 2 inches is a fabulous result.
    I have maintained this past week but that’s ok, I’ve dropped half an inch on every measurement so I’m happy with that.
    DCT, maintaining on a low weight is massively good. I usually get to a new low then spend a week or so dancing around just above it again ☹️
    SueBlue you sound way more organised than I am. And your meals sound yummy as well! I should do some cooking so I have delicious leftovers like that to eat.
    1960, good to see you again and I hope you have the results you’re trying for this bus trip.

Cathy, I know it’s been a hard slog for you but those figures you’ve posted from now to September look very achievable and you’ve been so singleminded. I hope very much that you get the results you are working for.
    Best wishes to us all for a great week ahead.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Happy International Womens Day all. Sorry this is a bit late,especially for our pals down under,but its one of those days..cat at the vets,Beau at the dentists! XX

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hello eveyone, I’m checking in after week 1. I’m pleased to report that I’ve shed 900g or almost 2lb (1.98 to be exact!), so happy with that.
    I haven’t been counting calories, but have been getting back into the swing of eating healthier meals at regular meal times. It hasn’t been perfect -we had wine and takeaway pizza last night for example, but I ordered a thin crust vegetarian pizza, and drank wine mixed with soda water.
    Another positive thing I did this week was listening to tracks on my mediation app most days.
    With this coming week I’m going to continue with healthier eating and also add in exercise (walking). I plan to go for a 1/2 hour walk each morning this week, in addition to my usual/incidental walking to work, shops etc.
    All the best to everyone for this week!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done SUEBLUE! I’m same,2 lb down,through being more careful and eating healthier. Also,moving more.X
    To all UK Mums,happy Mothers Day tomorrow!💜
    “ life is a mystery to be lived,not a problem to be solved “ 💕

on

Well done to Sue and Yowser for getting off to a great Marching On start. A 2lb loss is fantastic. Well done to Dawn for losing 2 inches. Like DCT I’ve stayed the same this week. I’m disappointed. I did two 36 hour fasts but I went out for lunch on Wednesday and had a curry on Thursday evening with a glass of beer so I really wasn’t expecting to lose a lot this week. That does increase the pressure for the next three weeks though if I am going to make my April target of 150! It’s virtually impossible now! Anyway, this week I am doing alternate day fasts and have no planned meals out so am going to stay low carb on my eating days. If I can lose 2lb this week there is a chance I can hit my target.
    I’ve been upsetting myself by reading people’s fasting weight loss progress on Reddit – one girl has lost 2 stone and 7 lb in three months. I’ve lost 5 lb so I’m not going to read Reddit anymore to wound myself further. It’s totally unreasonable to compare myself so I will plod on and tweak and see how I do this week. Have a good week everyone.

on

A new week and a new start for me. I’ve ditched intermittent fasting. I’ve been doing it since 1st January. When I weighed this morning I weighed 159 lb! I started at 161 lb. When I do a 36 hour fast I lose 3lb and then when I eat I put it all back on! What a load of rubbish! So, I’m back to basics doing low carb and I am going to give it my all! I’ve given IF my best shot- I believed in the process, did clean fasts and got nowhere! What a waste of time! Anyway, let’s see how I get on. It’s so frustrating to be yo-yo-ing up and down the same five pounds!

on

YOWZER and SUEBLUE well done on your 2lb losses and DAWN your 2 inches. We seem to be on a 2 theme here!!

CATHY I think you’re right to ditch the IF and go back to low carb. I was thinking the other day – when you said about Reddit – that why not go back to what worked in the beginning. You achieved great results then, and I’m sure you can do so again.

I’m seeing a bit of a regain at the moment but nothing too much. Just a bit conscious that I have lots of events over the next couple of weeks and then the few days away. So I need to be careful. But as you said Cathy, life goes on even during our weight loss efforts.

Good luck everyone. I love that on this forum we are all dedicated and committed but also live in the real world!

I’ll post again Friday. Look forward to hearing how you’re all doing X

on

Been shopping today and bought lots of cottage cheese, avocado, eggs, olives, hummus, walnuts, beetroot, salad and vegetables. Will make some home made soups and tonight I’m having field mushrooms with garlic cheese and mozzarella from the keto cookbook. I don’t think I’ll weigh 150 lb by 1st April but I am determined I’ll be as near as I can be. Am feeling positive and motivated. Heel is still very painful so walking is out of the question at the moment. I am going to look through alll my MM books tonight for some recipe inspiration. I am Marching on and hopefully downwards.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy you sound like a woman on a mission! Good luck and I think it’s a great idea to change tactics. Something I thought about when you mentioned people on Reddit losing large amounts of weight is that it is all relative. So someone who needs to lose 10 stone and they’ve lost 2st has lost 20% of the weight they need to lose. Whereas a person who only needs to lose 1 stone will reach 20% of their goal after losing only a few pounds.
    I’m having a good week so far, managing at least 10,000 steps walking each day. Last night I went to see The Human League perform, it was a great concert but I’m very tired today!
    I’ll check in again at the end of the week 🙂

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Love Human League SUEBLUE! and “ Temptation” should be the theme song of every dieter! 😄
    3lb down for me,but im fearing that will return with the arrival of Easter! Still,its damage limitation. Keep marching on!

on

Hi everyone, hope you’ve had a good week. Just checking in quickly in between coming in and going out again!

I’ve seen a small loss this week. Slightly behind where I wanted to be but I’m definitely not complaining as there have been a few times when I’ve veered off plan. Well done to all who are also moving in the right direction. CATHY I hope your determination and change of strategy really pays off, And SUE, well done for your daily steps. Glad you enjoyed the gig too. My husband plays bass in a band and we’re off out shortly for a gig tonight. YOWZER, well done for your loss and here’s hoping it continues.

One final thought to (hopefully!) inspire you. I saw a headline on the BBC website today that the new editor of Vogue views getting dressed as one of the most joyful things in her day. Now for me that has not been the case recently at all! In fact not for as long as I can remember. So many of my clothes don’t fit properly, that even if I get them on they don’t look nice. I may be being too hard on myself here, but I know I’ve drifted into the pattern of wearing the same few things over and over again, hoping they’ll disguise the bulgy bits. Meanwhile, I have other lovely things that I just can’t wear, but equally can’t bear to get rid of. So when I read that comment I was initially irritated, but then thought hell yes . . . I want to be at the point where I feel positively joyful about getting dressed because I have things that I love, that I want to wear, and that fit. Here’s hoping I’ll be in that mindset by the end of this journey 🤞

Have a great weekend everyone xx

on

Hello everyone- another week of disappointment for me. So I’ve gone low carb and 19 hour fasts all week. No bread, pasta, rice or sugar etc- back to BSD basics . I’ve had salad, yoghurt, berries, walnuts, feta, etc etc. however yesterday we went to my visit my mother in law and my sister in law made pasta bake for lunch and I ate it! I did not eat any birthday cake! I’ve not drank any alcohol all week and today I am 0.2 lbs up on the week. I know it will be water weight after the pasta yesterday. I hoped to lose 2lb this week. I really am struggling to find a weight loss diet that works for me. I would love to show you my chart which is up and down the same 4 lbs since January. I’m becoming slightly obsessed and I don’t feel I’m in a healthy mind set at the moment. I’ve not been walking due to the plantar fasciitis and I have an appt in two weeks at the heel pain clinic so I am hoping I can get some tips and start walking after my appointment.. I’ve no choice but to keep chipping away and finding out what will work for me. I’ve had no breakfasts this week, salad style lunches and low carb evening meals. I know the pasta yesterday has screwed my data. Another week beckons and I will see how this week goes. I’m not putting on any weight but I’m not losing any either. I’m going to retract my desired weight plan for April as it is not achievable to be 150 lb by 1st April. I will just be what I will be. Today my average weight for the week is 157.1 lb. I was 155 lb on Thursday – I’m doing rubbish! Oh well- here I go again.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Cathy

Have you started to read Andrew Jenkinson’s book yet? It might just give you more hope.

I’ve re-listened to his first book and in its crudest form he argues:

He says obesity rates started to rise in the 70’s as the Heart Health diet became popular and saturated fats were demonised. Our diets changed from fresh home cooked foods to UPF’s.

– Low calorie diets in fact all ‘diets’ don’t work.

– We each have a ‘weight set-point’ and our bodies will always return to that. How many ‘diets’ have we all done only to regain the weight and more. He names them, to mention just a few…. Weight Watchers, Slimming World, South Beach, Atkins, Lighter Life, Cabbage Soup, Keto, etc. etc. I’m sure somebody can name a few more! He suggests that each time you regain weight + more, your ‘set-point goes up.

– His answer is low carb but using the Glycaemic Load as a guide rather than carbs per se. He gives an example of water melon which has a high Glycaemic Index but a low GL.

– He also says 16:8 works to lower your ‘set-point’.

– He suggest a that it’s the ‘quality’ not the ‘quantity’ of food that affects your ‘set-point’. So the least processed a food is, the it is better for you.

– He argues that reducing insulin, by reducing carbs, ie. avoid, sugar, wheat and corn, will lower your ‘set-point’.

– He also says ‘dump the scales’, doubt I could do that, and be ‘realistic’ about your weight loss.

Obviously there’s a lot more in the book especially about flawed ‘research’ funded by Big Business and Big Pharma. Apparently, the statin industry was worth $35 billion in 2010!

In a ‘nutshell’ he says a diet of grains, vegetable oil and sugar leads to obesity. So it would seem if these are cut out then all will be well.

Now I’m onto the new book which I’m sure will reiterate some of ‘Why We Eat (Too Much). We shall see!

on

Morning and thank you for your inspiring post Verano. It looks like I’ve reset my set point to 159 from 161! I’m currently reading his new book which is about choosing healthy, non processed foods. I’m only a short way through the book. I did listen to him on a well being podcast with Liz Earle. I think many of us were conned back in the 80s. I know that my issue is that I’ve dieted too many times and messed up my metabolism. I’m up on the scales again today and the advice to ditch the scales seems very sensible but I worry that I would go out of control weight wise. I wonder if I might be better going for some counselling to like myself more and stop obsessing about my weight. I do have health issues and I feel that I am wasting month after month trying to be a certain weight. I might be better to eat well and relax more. I am enjoying the book and am focusing on proper food, nourishing my body and maybe I am programmed to be this weight now. I am 63 this year. I am a size 12/14- maybe this is me! It would make sense to accept who I am and enjoy every day. I have also bought The Obesity Code. I hope I can crack this code and if I maintain by eating well then I think I can accept myself. Maybe I am never going to be who I think I should be.

• posted by Verano
    on

“ I do have health issues and I feel that I am wasting month after month trying to be a certain weight. I might be better to eat well and relax more”

“I am a size 12/14- maybe this is me! It would make sense to accept who I am and enjoy every day.”

Yes! I think you have worked it out! From what you say you’re clearly not overweight. Maybe, as you say, you should just relax!

Actually, Jenkinson says that when his patients want bariatric surgery he warns them before hand to be ‘realistic’ about their weight loss. I can’t remember the exact figures but he says that if a patient is 21stone they shouldn’t expect to reach 9stone after surgery, 13stone is more realistic. If they don’t reach ‘their’ expected weight they often feel like the surgery has failed when in fact it was their expectations that were ‘unrealistic’.
    I think maybe lots of us have ‘unrealistic’ expectations!

on

I am definitely overweight Verano with a BMi which is currently 29. I didn’t feel that my expectations were unrealistic but they’re proving to be very unrealistic. I hoped that fasting and eating low carb would result in a few pounds of loss but my body has other ideas. I am going to concentrate on eating a healthy whole food diet. I’m vegetarian and have been for forty years. My working ground is accepting myself and learning to like myself. Once my plantar fasciitis settles down and I’m currently on the waiting list for more steroid injections into my toes I hope I can walk more over the spring/summer. I am also working on not comparing myself to others. The How to Eat book is hopefully going to educate me that dieting won’t work but eating healthy non processed food will improve my overall health and maybe help shed some of my excess weight. I’m going to try a more relaxed approach and try to not be so hard on myself.
    Have a good week everyone. Lots to think about as we March on

on

Morning all. Hope your week has been going well so far.

VERANO thank you so much for that post about Andrew Jenkinson, who I’d not heard of before. Your summary is really interesting and CATHY his new book sounds good too. I’m certainly making the effort to eat as few processed foods as possible and make everything from scratch. Quality rather than quantity sounds right – though like you VERANO I don’t think I could ditch the scales as I enjoy a daily weight-in : even if it sometimes goes in the wrong direction at least I’m aware of those fluctuations.

CATHY I think you’re right to prioritise self-acceptance. I’m sure your weight will come off, but it’s all too easy to fall into the trap of only being willing to like ourselves once that has happened. It’s as if we pin all our hopes and dreams on the “after me” rather than realising that many of the good things we hope for can apply to the “now me” as well. We need to view our life and weight loss journeys as parallel processes not before and after.

And CATHY I hope that you see some positive change soon. I’ve often thought it’s worth you just going back to what you did in the early days and see how that goes, rather than all the long fasts. I think there’s a lot of truth in the principle “do the things you did at first” if you find that various other things don’t seem to have worked. And I hope you get all your foot problems sorted too. I was wondering if there is any seated exercise you could do for now, or perhaps some floor-based yoga or pilates routines, just to keep you moving and boost your morale. Good luck with everything, and we’re all here rooting for you X

And did anyone notice a bit of controversy in the media this week about intermittent fasting, specifically 16:8? Apparently recent research indicates that it could increase the chance of death due to cardiovascular disease. The research points out that 16:8 does not in itself cause cardiovascular death, just that there is an increased risk of cardiovascular death, particularly for people with existing heart conditions or cancer, from eating in a shorter window. I’ll be on the lookout for more on this story as it seems contradictory to what I thought I knew about IF. And no doubt more research will follow.

Hope everyone else is ok? Do post and let us know how you’re doing.

• posted by Verano
    on

DCT his new book is really interesting. I’m listening to the audio version which I think may be a little easier than the written version. I’m sure Cathy will comment on that.

I’m only up to chapter 2 where he’s describing the ‘modern kitchen’ of 2040 with its row upon row of E number jars. I won’t spoil it for Cathy if she hasn’t got that far yet, but suffice it to say if you take a look at the ingredients in a pack of those ‘potato’ snacks in tubes, either ‘sour cream & onion’ or ‘prawn cocktail’ flavour, you will get an idea of what the chapter is about!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, that book sounds very interesting, I’ll have to search it out.
    After good progress earlier on the last few weeks I’ve been up and down the same kilo. Last Friday was my best weigh in for a while, down half a kilo. Hopeful it continues because it’s three weeks till my cruise and it would be good to be a bit lower to start off 😁
    Cathy I’m hoping you get some good results really soon. You’ve certainly been trying hard! I’ve done intermittent fasting for years and haven’t really found it much different from eating three meals a day, for me anyway. I am not one for breakfast so usually only have lunch and dinner anyway. I need to really reduce volume to see any difference, I wish it wasn’t so but for me it is.
    On Tuesday I’ll get my blood results and see if the 8.5kg I have lost has helped my liver trouble.
    Hoping for a good week for everyone.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everyone and a Happy Easter. Ive lost 3 lbs which im sure will go back on over this weekend,have had yummy hot cross buns today and will deffo have goodies Sat/ Sun.
    Will start afresh and undaunted on monday 1st April.😄 In the meantime,i hope you all have a fab holiday weekend.
    🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳XXXX

on

Hi everyone
    Sorry for lack of posts this week. I’ve been away for a few days in a hotel which was lovely. Not going to step on the scales for a couple of days as I’ve been rather off piste so don’t want to discourage myself. But like you YOWZER I’m planning to do a reboot as from Monday. It’s been a tough few months and I want to make a fresh start : get fully back on board with both healthy eating and exercise. We still have a month of this journey to go. So let’s make the most of it!

MARIET I hope your blood test were all good? Not long till your cruise now – and I hope you get to where you want to be by then.

VERANO thanks for the info on the new Andrew Jenkinson book. As part of my reboot I want to completely cut out processed food. Even if that means just eating something very simple in the evening – when I eat my main meal – I’d rather do that than buy processed food, even when it is more convenient.

Have a lovely weekend everyone, and remember there are still 4 full weeks to go on this journey so plenty of time to see some results!

on

Hello everyone
    I’ve been to stay with my son for a few days in London over Easter. Didn’t have one hot cross bun!! I am not having any success with my weight . I was 156 on Thursday and today I am 159. I have made an appointment to chat to my GP next week: my cholesterol was raised in Feb last year but I didn’t do anything about it because of all the nerve pain issues I was having and my raised cholesterol was the least of my worries! I’m going to ask him to check my thyroid and liver function tests and to repeat my cholesterol so I can try and get healthy. I wonder if there is a hormonal issue scuppering my weight loss?? I’ve only lost 2lb since January 1st. I’ve enjoyed the How to Eat book but it hasn’t really changed much for me. My set weight won’t reset!!! I’m eating all the right foods and making an effort to cook from scratch and to eat mainly non processed foods. I have been vegetarian for over 30 years. I have enrolled on a NHS weight loss programme in my area and my first appt is tomorrow. I reckon I’ll be more knowledgeable than the teacher! What can I do to lose weight? Let’s see what she says. I’ve recently read The Obesity Code, Fast feast repeat and How to Eat. It will be interesting to see what I am advised to do tomorrow. Maybe I will have to accept my weight and just aim to maintain Am still troubled with heel pain so walking is still out of the question. Ive seen a podiatrist who has advised strapping and exercises but it could take time!! Once I can move more then I can hopefully walk some weight off.
    How is everyone else doing?
    I’ll report back after my ABL (a better life) session tomorrow! Six months to my cruise. Three months into my weight loss journey and only 2lb down is incredibly disappointing!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I really feel for you CCATH. So frustrating! i almost hope tests show you have an underactive thyroid so you could go on meds and maybe solve the problem. I hope you get something from ABL. I have a feeling that,like you said,you prob know a whole lot more than they do. But you never know,they might just say one thing that you need to hear that really helps. Ive got my fingers,eyes and legs crossed for you. I admire you SO much. You have tried so hard,and I know everyone on the bus will join with me in saying we really want you to be where you want to be weight wise,and your health probs sorted, when you go on your cruise XX sending love and hugs to you and all the bus gang xx

on

Thanks for your kindness Yowser. Just back from my ABL weight management class. To be fair it was well done. I was weighed and they set small targets of 3% and 5% goals initially. It was a talk about food groups today. We had to pick out from the various food groups what we would choose for a meal or a snack. I chose cheddar cheese/nuts and an apple. She said is that a snack and I said no it’s lunch! My personal goal for this week is to increase my protein. I don’t think there is anything else they can tell me that I don’t know about diet! They didn’t promote three meals a day which I was pleased about and they did mention about restricting carbs unless you were doing physical workouts or long hikes etc. We then had a 20 minute simple exercise class. I’m going to do a food diary this week. I’m hoping my blood tests will reveal some simple hormonal issue that can account for my lack of progress . I know I am restricted with walking at the moment so once I can start walking that might also help. Anyway, it was ok but I didn’t learn anything I didn’t already know. I have to attend for 10 weeks. Keep trying everyone!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi CCATHY! did you have to travel far for the ABL class? I know your walking is restricted.
    Frustrating that there was nothing new for you to learn, heartening to know that at least theyre starting to make some reference towards restricting carbs – at long last!
    Were there many people there? I have a feeling many of them would be a lot overweight ( like myself 🫤)xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy I’m sorry to hear of your struggles, I can only imagine your frustration when you are doing all the right things!
    At least if you see your course through for the 10 weeks and follow all advice and you still haven’t lost weight then I guess you know it’s not “you” 🙂
    I read all about weight set points about 20 years ago. There’s a doctor here in Australia, Dr Amanda Salis, who wrote books about it (Don’t go Hungry diet was one of them).
    I’m still pretty much the same weight that I was a few weeks into this journey, but to be honest I haven’t been trying that hard, with Easter too we were entertaining family. And now I’m away on holidays with the family for a few days. We’ve been walking everywhere and doing 17-18 thousand steps each day so keeping active. I’ve been eating fairly sensibly too, so hopefully will see a small loss or at least be the same weight when I’m home on Sunday.
    Hope everyone else is doing well!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just to jump in here. Cathy, have you seen the Glucose Goddess podcasts. I hear you when you say you cant lose weight and you don’t know why and you are eating all the right things, maybe just not in the right order. This is exactly what she tackles. It is all down to insulin resistance – it has nothing to do with diabetes just anyone who is struggling to lose weight. How we eat and what we eat always seemed a bit airy fairy to me until I listened to what she has to say. You can watch her most relevant podcast here – https://youtu.be/HEEUrIQ_3O4?si=xu4XAXDBkuMneFe-

She has 10 rules for eating/losing weight and I can’t remember all but the first 4 make so much sense. 1. Start the day with apple cider vinegar in water. 2. Always have a savoury breakfast, like scrambled eggs, even if you want something like toast with it, eat the eggs first. 3. Always eat the leafy green veg first as it creates a mesh over the gut opening stopping fast transit foods like carbs from passing through and causing immediate glucose spikes. Obviously I cant remember the whole 10 and number 4 has gone from my mind for now but I will watch again. Started yesterday and lost 1lb after being on a plateau for about 4 weeks.

Take a look, it might help.

on

Thank you so much sunshine girl for taking the time to post about the glucose goddess. I’ve just watched her and she is very inspiring and obviously well read about the subject. I am a big fan of pre dinner apple cider vinegar and the video reminded me to start drinking it again. I tell myself I’m having a cider before dinner. I mix it with sparkling water. I haven’t come across her before so lots more information to help me on my way. I hope that when I can start getting in some steps I’ll feel better and shift some excess baggage. Strapping my foot has definitely helped this week and icing it so hopefully it will start to heal. I refuse to give up. This week I am fasting til lunch to give my insulin time to settle and eating low carb and unprocessed food. I am following the eat well guide and am eating more protein. So I’ve been putting chickpeas on my cottage cheese to bulk it up and eating an extra egg here and there.
    Thank you everyone for your support. I am like a scratched record of failure! Am chatting to my GP next Tuesday and asking if he will consider some blood tests. I do wonder whether my cortisol levels have been high during the last twelve months as I’ve been investigated for the nerve pain in my ankle which may have impacted on my inability to lose weight. I am honestly trying so hard. Looking at my Fitbit trend since January 1st when I started my weight loss journey it says I have lost 0.3 lb per week!! It’s a loss! It’s ridiculous! I won’t give up! I’m no heavier than I was in January when I started! That is a win. Onwards and slowly downwards. Thanks everyone and keep trying!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I haven’t been posting, I appear to have lost the plot again😩Hope you are all doing better than I am!
    Dawn XX

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

SUNSHINE GIRL thanks for the link and the info…very useful X
    SUEBLUE,I just came across an article by Dr Salis thats been in my favourites for ages,Im going to go back and reread. X
    DAWN I feel for you,its not easy to get into the zone. As the saying goes..the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. It defo applies to me,I can keep going for a while,but I find it difficult to stay in the zone long term. However,yesterday,I took a deep look at all my clothes,I had forgotten about half of them,and there are so many items that are lovely but no longer fit. And some items still with their tags on 🫤I’m reluctant to leave them just hanging up in the wardrobe or folded in drawers,and I dont want to sell them or give them to charity,so Ive got an incentive to lose the weight and wear them again. So I need to get going with the wet lettuces,give my head a wobble,grit my teeth and get on with it!X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Yowzer.That’s a good idea about looking at my clothes(same as yours, some still have tags on) and maybe that may give me a bit of a shove in the right direction🤞Dawn XX

on

Hi Dawn
    You’re still here and still trying. Well done for being open and honest about your struggles. With warmer weather hopefully around the corner it will be nice to put summer clothes on but they don’t hide the bulges so we need to get a wiggle on and get the fat moving! It’s so much harder than it ever was. I’ve just had a chat with my GP and told him I’ve lost 3lb since 1st January and he has kindly agreed to do some blood tests which I am having on Thursday. I’ve got my first weight in tomorrow at what I call “fat club” the NHS weight management programme I joined last week. I’ve eaten really healthily all week and have enjoyed eating from a healthy perspective rather than towards a body image perspective. I’ve done some walking with my heel strapped up and am feeling positive that I will make a difference albeit slow.
    Keep trying and keep trying and keep trying everyone.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks for your kind words Cathy, I hope your first weight in goes well tomorrow.Dawn XX

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh thats great news about getting blood tests CCATHY! And i join DAWN in wishing you best of luck with the weigh in!X

on

Hi everyone – just catching up after a hectic few days.

CATHY good luck with your weigh in and blood tests. I hope you find some answers as to what’s going on. Great news that you’re getting out and about a bit better too.

DAWN it’s lovely to hear from you, and hang in there. And like you and YOWZER I hope that our summer clothes will be an extra motivator (it’s funny, I’m sure there was a similar discussion around this time last year? Let’s hope it’s the last time and this is the summer we nail it!)

SUE and SUNSHINE GIRL thanks for the info and the links. I’ll take a look. Sometimes I find it a bit overwhelming the sheer volume of stuff that’s out there re diet and weight loss. There seems so much to remember . . . but at such times I just take a deep breath and try to go back to what has worked for me before. Which Is good self-talk for me right now as I’ve gained 3lb this journey so far. I did start it on my lowest weight for a long time, and I know that for various reasons I’ve not been as strict as I need to be, so I’m not beating myself up about it, but equally I hope to see an about turn next week when I’m back at work and will be in more of my normal routine again.

Good luck everyone, and I hope the rest of the week goes well for you X

on

Hello everyone
    I lost 1kg this week at my weight management class. I followed the nhs eat well food guide, increased my protein and veg and stayed low carb but did throw in a 36 hour fast in Monday so a combination of everything! Today we talked about intuitive eating. This is about trusting your body to make food choices that feel good for you without judging yourself! Very interesting indeed for me!!! They recommend a non diet approach to changing eating habits and a no rule approach to eating. I realise how many rules I have around food and how many food groups I’ve cut out and how hard I am on myself. I’ve got my blood tests scheduled tomorrow- let’s see if they’re Ok. This morning at home I weighed 155 lbs. They weigh in Kg and I was 71 kg. I enjoyed the class and we do 20 minutes of exercises after the talk. I’ve had cheese on toast for my lunch today!!!!
    I will continue to fast until lunch time if it suits me or have an egg for my breakfast. I will continue to eat low carb and am going to work on trying a non dieting approach to changing my eating habits.
    DCT- when you get back to work you’ll get back into a routine and soon lose the gain.
    Have a good week everyone.
    Let’s all make good food choices, focus on health and be kind to ourselves.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiiii CCATH! Thats great news about 1kg loss! You must be so pleased.🥳🥳
    Ive heard of intuitive eating..theres a woman where i live who runs courses in it. Im not sure I could trust my body enough to make good choices,but I love the idea. Like DCT said,theres so much info out there on diet. Intuitive eating sounds so straightforward and simple by comparison. As a kid in the 50s/ 60s,,i dont recall anyone fussing over food or talking about carbs,calories and diets,and nobody was fat!
    Best of luck with your blood tests!XX

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Congratulations Cathy! That’s wonderful news 🙂 it sounds like the NHS plan is sensible.

I’ve also decided to re-focus on nutrition rather than being restrictive. Now that we are back from our short holiday I’m getting back into cooking and eating fresh foods. I managed to stay the same weight while away, although we ate and drank out a few times, we balanced that by walking around 15,000 steps each day.

Yesterday I made a big pot of minestrone soup in my slow cooker. Yes it has pasta and potato in it, but I cooked and cooled the pasta separately and just added it in when we were ready to eat, that way I could control the amount of pasta in my serve. I read that cooking and cooling pasta makes the starch resistant which is good for the gut. Anyway, eating it felt like having a huge vitamin pill as it was full of veggies and red kidney beans, we really enjoyed it. I had salad for lunch and boiled egg and avocado with a piece of low carb toast for breakfast.

Hope everyone else having a good week so far 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.