Zoom into June with a low carb VrooOOOM!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello lovelies, I’ve set up the new challenge thread ready for Tuesday! Thank you Allie for the last challenge. You can put your feet up now! Good luck everyone.. Got your foot on the gas? Ok, let’s ZOOOOOMMM!!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Kazz and thanks for setting this up.

This challenge will bring me to my daughter’s wedding and my need to fit easily into the dress I bought in January – her wedding but in my mind all about me.

So the goal and challenge is to lose a kilo or two if I can but at any rate to remain where I am. I do fine day to day but even after 16 months I am liable to give way in a social situation. Good luck to all challengers!

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Thanks for setting this up, KazzUK.

See you all on tues x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING 12TH JUNE!! [date edited by BSD]

Should have added the above to the title! Sorry!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Kazz
    VrooOOOM, VrooOOOM – I’m in for this Challenge. I’m going to have a think about what my goals will be and will post them on Tuesday but I’m looking forward to spending the next 4 weeks with everyone – thanks for setting it up.
    Marie xx

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi Kazz,

Thanks for setting this up! Looking forward to starting this next four weeks. I had a shocking last four weeks, but I’ve got my head in the right place now, and am more determined than ever!

See you all Tuesday! Xx

• posted by Sophie99
    on

I’d love to join this challenge! I’m half way through my 8 weeks so this should see me through to the end. I’ve lost 15lb so far and want to lose another 6. Losses have stalled recently but I think 6 pounds in 4 weeks is definitely doable if I stick with it! See everyone on Tuesday 🙂

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi – thanks for setting this up Kazz!
    Sophie99 – we’re diet twins as I’m half way through my 8 weeks, and have lost about the same as you – 16lbs, but the scales flickered and faltered before settling on that, so it’s 16 by the skin of my teeth! I was wondering what a reasonable target would be for the second half – I like your idea of 6lbs. Lots of challenges in the next 4 weeks for me diet-wise though in terms of ‘stuff happening’ where there will be a lot of food on offer … eeek!
    Let’s hope I can zoom past those temptations! 🙂

• posted by Dolly
    on

Count me in – need support and motivation 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Looking forward to seeing you all on Tuesday, whether you are revving, coasting, idling. It doesn’t matter! Everyone welcome. 😀🏎🚲🛴🚁🛳✈️
    Kazz

• posted by Inka13
    on

Lovely to see you at the helm, Kazz! I’ll join in too and look forward to all the successes and stories to follow!
    Inka

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am in also – looking forward to zoom into June.

• posted by seapumpkin
    on

I am brand new at this so please count me in to get some positive thinking behind me.
    I am nervous but excited to begin this.

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

I’m in too – greeneyes and sophie99 it’s triplets!! I am also 4 weeks in but not showing such a good loss only 12lbs down but I’m thrilled with that. Onwards and upwards and thanks Kazz for taking the helm and steering the ship! see you all during the week xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thanks Inka! Glad you are joining us. 👍
    Hi Seapumpkin. You are very welcome indeed! Any queries or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask. 😁

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Thanks for the new challenge Kazz!

Looking forwards to the next 4 weeks zooming by x

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Thanks KazzUK!
    I’m in to. Is it four or two weeks then? (stupid question).
    I found this treads extremely nice to join!
    And big thanks to JGwen who sorted things out for me (in a nother tread) that after first 8 weeks its totally fine to just continue this WOE.
    Love to see our stories.
    See you tomorrow!

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning!

I’m hopping into this challenge straight from the May one.

This is my week 6 of fast800 and total loss so far is 14kg or 30lbs. Aiming for another 6kgs in the next 4 weeks.

I’ve been very down lately over the weight I still have to lose and beating myself for gaining so much in the first place so the non-scale challenge for me is to try to be more positive and focus on the good I’m doing for myself now… oh and get more exercise! It’s amazing how much more appealing exercise is when you’re 14kgs lighter 😄

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning campers! 🙂
    Looking forward to seeing you all later today once you’ve posted your outcomes on the May thread.
    For me, I’m not going to state what my goal is in terms of lbs, cos I self sabotage when I do that! but I am on a roll so my goal is to keep going like I am for the next 4 weeks, posting any losses on a Tuesday.
    Buddhas Wife – it’s 4 weeks, ending 12th June. I’ve made a right mess of it, forgetting to put it in the title and I think I posted at the beginning that it finishes on the 19th! So sorry,! I’ll get it sorted!
    Good luck everyone!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Amarela, 30lbs in 5 weeks is an amazing achievement! Don’t spend another second feeling down about how much more you have to lose. You are on a roll, just embrace it and be relieved that you’ve found the way back to the sunshine! I have around 80 lbs to lose and have lost about 38 lbs and that’s since middle of last August! We just keep on keeping on! 🙂

• posted by Momof2
    on

Thank you KazzUK. Looking forward to joining you all on this journey. First time on the forum and with BSD so will really benefit from inspiration from all of you.

• posted by kaz62
    on

Morning all can I join you please I have a holiday in 8 weeks and need this challenge to get me on track 😉some amazing losses posted above – am struggling with menopausal weight but I know this works if I stick to it so here goes. I’m rebooting so aiming for 10lb
    Good luck everyone x

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Morning everyone,

I’m jumping straight to this challenge from the May one, although no losses for me I self sabotaged all month! 😒
    I had different things going on, starting a new job and other stuff. But today I’m in the right frame of mind to do this!! 😊

I’m starting this month weighing 66.5kg and my aim is to loose 4kg this month. ( I’m not a quick looser so hopefully this is realistic)

I find it really motivating reading everyone’s posts and I’m wishing all of us the best of luck for the next 4 weeks…… 🤞🏻😊 xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi folks, I would like to join the next call to arms for another 4 weeks.
    No fixed targets on weight again, just KOKO towards my target dress size.

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Thanks KazzUK for setting up. I am in for zooming.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Everyone
    Glad to be back and joining another challenge. I missed out the last challenge as I wanted a rest. I’d been doing 800 cals/20g carbs since the beginning of August last year and had reached my 9st goal (well, 9st 0.5lbs) in April.
    While not posting I stopped weighing my food and while I stuck to very low carbs my portions got bigger and bigger and I ended up 6lbs heavier. I also stopped exercising (pilates/gym/exercise classes) although I have still walked a lot. I think I just let other priorities take over (or is that part excuse – I can hear Esnecca’s voice in my ear!). Having managed to shift from a zilch activity achy-jointed but happy couch potato in August to an active and energetic exercising person, (not a natural journey for me) in April, I really don’t want to go backwards.
    Anyway, I’m now back to 9st 4lbs. That’s still a 5 stone total weight loss (not all since last August I hasten to add – I’d already lost some before I was diagnosed T2 diabetic in August). My blood sugar levels are still back in the normal range so that’s all great.
    But what I’m not good at is cooking/preparing a wide enough variety of BSD food. I’ve never been a great cook, the few things I did learn to cook well I can’t now eat (bugger!) and since August when I started off pretty well my meals have got narrower and narrower until I’m eating the same things day in and day out.

So, my goals for this challenge (and probably quite a few more) are:
    1) to eat as wide a variety of BSD foods as possible keeping to 20g carbs and reasonable cals (to be determined to maintain weight)
    2) to improve my cholesterol/triglyceride levels through researching & copying the diets of people on here who’ve done it e.g. Allie,
    sunshinegirl, eliza52, etc
    3) to get back to 10,000 steps daily and regular exercising

This is the first and last post all about me, promise; I just wanted to introduce myself to those who don’t know me.
    Good luck everyone for the next 4 weeks.
    Marie x

• posted by pkd2004
    on

I’m in – I lost 13 lbs in last 4 weeks so would be very happy to do the same again. I would then only be 6lbs of target! That should help motivate me to keep strong. I know I’m fortunate not to have the diabetes problems to deal with, which many people on here do – I’m working for weight loss and health gains. I’ve yet to up my daily exercise (I am quite active though so usually 10k steps at least per day), I’ve taken up yoga again, and I want to do more exercise at home – HIIT with Joe Wickes!. Good luck all.

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi – starting today realise I need to keep calories to 800 per day but should I also count carbs and if so how many should I have. I am an emotional eater going through family traumas at moment so hoping we can all get support from each other xx

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi all
    Goal 1 8lbs in the 4wks
    Goal 2 keep water & walking a focus
    Goal 3 Blood sugars in normal range
    Goal 4 Be more involved
    We can all do this thanks again everyone nice to know we are never alone in this journey. Denise

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Amarela

I just wanted to support what Kazz has said – you’ve done fantastically well. Please don’t be downhearted.

If I was to give one big tip to anyone (and how this weight loss journey (yuk!) has differed from others for me) it would be just don’t look at the big picture, i.e. your ultimate goal, until your close to reaching it. I’ve managed to lose 70lbs in total. When I began I didn’t believe it was possible and losing 5 stone was just too big a number for me to think about – so I just didn’t. I focused on small, achievable and meaningful-to-me targets, e.g. dropping into the next stone down, losing 5%, 10% of body weight, reducing my BMI from 28 to 27 (or 27.5) – anything that was within easy reach from where I was. Ticking these off one by one (and yes, I did literally tick them off – if I’d had gold and silver stars I’d have stuck them in my book, too!) helped keep me motivated.

You’ve done bloody marvellously and you deserve to be singing and dancing all over the place (as should we all). Well done that woman!
    Marie x

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi Dolly
    I think most here would say yes to both but I guess it is up to you. My first 10 weeks this rotation I didn’t monitor either too closely, I weighed most things, as I had a lot to loose.
    As I am getting closer I have dropped the carb and aimed for ketosis due to just feeling under the weather and not this amazing buzz everyone talks about but I also know water for me is the key but bladder issues don’t make things easy there as need to be always close by!!
    You need to balance your ability to make this your way of life and exceptable success to keep going, as this is a journey not a quick fix.
    Sorry was trying to help but that seems to be as clear as mud!! Hopefully you get my drift!! Xx

• posted by carothomas
    on

I’d like to join please. Today is the start of Week 7 for me – I’ve lost 1 stone 1lb although haven’t stuck rigidly to the diet for the entire 6 weeks. Life has intervened occasionally! I have 2 stone to lose to get to my ideal weight range. My issue is that my blood sugars are still tending to be in the pre-diabetic range, even spiking into the diabetic some days and I think some accountability to stick to it whatever would help me! I may extend the 800kc a bit beyond the 8 weeks – I’ll see where I am at that point. My goals:

Stick to 800kc each day
    Try to reduce carbs – I’m not counting those as yet although think I’m around the 50g/day mark. I’m starting to wonder if I need to aim for closer to 20g, as so many people have mentioned success with that.
    Lose 2lbs per week
    Reduce my blood sugars further

Thank you!
    Caro

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Amarela, I think Marie123 has hit the nail on the head about looking for the small steps, rather than just the final end point.
    I would suggest also having some mid points where you reward yourself with something that will be a regular reminder of your success. For me, after the first 3 stone it was replacing my car. I had to anyway, but I instead of going for something that would be good for getting from A to B. I rewarded myself by getting a vehicle which would also make me feel good every time I get in it, or see it. to remind myself of my success. I then set a ‘reward’ for 4 stone, and when I got to my initial target, and have worked out rewards for extra weight loss that I can see is possible now I have reached my initial target weight.

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi Denise and everyone

Thanks – was helpful – have 2 stone to loose so think will count calories and carbs and see how I go – doing this cos want to be more healthy and feel good

Dolly

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Dolly, Welcome.
    Yes you need to count carbs. – You need to keep your carb intake down to a level which keeps insulin levels low. If you don’t then your body will simply adapt to lower calorie intake and as with every one of the common diet programs you will regain weight more easily after your diet. Keep the carbs low and your body switches into fat burning mode, and doesn’t adapt to the lower calories.
    – What level you set for Carbs depends on a lot of variables. Some people use 50g a day, others find they have to go down to 20g. – Use one of the apps on your mobile phone. fatsecret or myfitnesspal, and enter everything you plan to eat to keep yourself on target. (Better to check first and then eat rather than eat and then find out you went over target).

• posted by Amarela
    on

Great post marie123 and one I wholly agree with! Sometimes I just lose the run of myself and allow my mind to drift back to negative thoughts, another journey I’m on… As the former queen of self sabotaging comfort eaters 😂 I’m just so happy that I’ve managed to stick to this diet and make it into the start of a new lifestyle.

Dolly, for me carb counting has definitely helped boost the weight loss, having said that I just focused on the calories for the first few weeks and then started paying attention to carbs. I guess the amount of carbs is a personal thing, for me my daily max would 50g but sticking to 20g a day is better. I vary the amount of carbs I eat but don’t exceed 50g.
    I don’t really eat fruit other than small amounts of berries at the moment and try to focus on the low carb veggies and nuts to keep carbs low.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Oh and speaking of victories and rewarding yourself, I bought myself a new pair of workout pants today in size large, no x’s in front of the L, felt great 😄

• posted by seapumpkin
    on

Thanks KazzUK.
    Hello everyone.
    I am doing this for the first time with the aim to reduce my blood sugars ( currently 6.4% HBA1c) and to not progress to taking diabetes medication.
    Also to reduce cholesterol 6.1
    I need to reduce my girth as I am pumpkin shaped (hence the name) and reduce my BMI.
    I have got into this mess by eating large amounts of rubbish processed food and I am determined to change my habits over the next few weeks.
    Good luck everyone with your goals and it is good to read your motivating posts.

• posted by Momof2
    on

It has been really motivating and inspiring to read everyone’s posts. Well done to all.
    In keeping with most I am going to try verbalising my goals:
    1. Drop 0.5 in my BMI by end of 4 weeks
    2. Drink enough water daily. 3L seems to be the advice.
    3. No highly refined foods for next 4 weeks.

Thank you for the support everyone

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, my lovelies. We are here to fight on together, wherever and whatever those personal goals might look like!
    These 4 week challenges might at first appear to be a support group, but they accomplish something far beyond
    what MMosley envisioned, I think 🙂 Friendships are born here that extend to life itself, and it gives me great
    joy to see so many familiar faces and long term friends on board already! In some respects, I probably should
    not even be technically here, as I’ve been in maintenance for over a year? But I just can’t resist being part of
    such wonderful positive energy, and sharing in the confidence building and new friendships that are available
    to all that have chosen to be part of this thread. A new day, a new challenge, and very best wishes to all
    who have chosen this way of life. It has been nothing short of transformative for me, and that is within the
    grasp of everyone who travels here. I’m looking forward to meeting each challenge with you, and sharing
    my story of a 10st5lb wt loss with those that are newly here. Dolly, Seapumpkin, and Momof2, the very
    warmest of welcomes to “the family”! Looking forward to getting to know you 🙂
    For everyone who has left personal messages on the previous challenge for me, I treasure you all!
    Start your engines, everyone…We can accomplish it all 🙂

xxx Allie

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all of you!
    Thanks again KazzUK! Ok, four weeks here we go!
    I lost 12 kg in my first round with 800 ckal and 20 carbs (about 10 weeks).
    I started with 5:2 mid mars but find Moosleys BSDbook and got it from the library. Changed my mind directly and started 800. At the same time I found this fantastic forum! A miracle! Soon I learned from the beautiful people here, and dropped my carbs to 20 (which I sought was absolutely impossible). Can’t tell you all how grateful I am! Mosley does not state(?) how many carbs in numbers and that is a pitty.
    My longtime goal is to lose 30 kg total with all of what that meens in health and fitness. I dont plan when it should be done. One steps at a time for me. I want to stay positive and thankful all the way.
    My goal for this 4 weeks is to do my stretching, workout and walks. I must get my disabled achilles tendon fit for the planned (and payd!) mountain phototo hike in end of june. 😲
    I think I’ll set weight goals for one week at a time.
    First week I love to drop BMI from obesity to overweight and then I’m also halfway to 72 kg. Its close!
    Lets celebrate the good life and good luck to all of us!
    Buddhas Wife

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Oh I forgot, I log everything meticulous in MyFinnessPal. Its just as helpful and important as this forum. 😍
    As a reward a few weks ago I bought myself a fansy Fitbit Charge 2 wristwatch for mesuring steps and hart rates. I connected the watch and MFP with my Whitings scale for weight every morning. Did I say I’m a tech and app nerd? 🤓

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all,
    Nice to see a mix of ‘old’ and ‘new’ names on here 🙂
    Thanks Kazz for starting this challenge up.
    I didn’t do too well at all in the May one, got totally derailed in the last 2 weeks and the end result for the 4 weeks was a 900g gain 🙁
    I’m drawing a line in the sand under that though and having a fresh start for this challenge. I’m on leave from work for the next four weeks so that will help, I’ll have more time to plan and cook meals.
    Marie – I can recommend a really good BSD friendly recipe book, it’s called “Slimspirational Grub’” and it’s written by Lynette Anderson. You should be able to find it on Amazon, or through the Facebook page of the same name. Lynette is a mum of 2 from the UK who has been following BSD for a while and created her own recipes using BSD foods. The recipes I’ve tried include toad in the hole, butternut squash and chorizo soup, fish and chips, Singapore fried ‘rice’, eggs Benedict (with a lovely hollandaise style sauce), and there are loads more. One of the things I plan to do on my leave is to try more of the recipes 🙂
    I’m not going to set myself a specific weight goal for this challenge, if I could wave a magic wand though it would be 5kg!
    What I do want to do is use the next 4 weeks to go back to basics, record all
    Food, count calories and stick to 800 on at least 5 days per week, drink 2-3 litres of water daily and walk 10,000 steps.
    Basically what it says in the book! My problem is that after 16 months I’ve become a bit lazy and complacent so I’m giving myself a kick up the backside this round!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, I just lost my post in the May thread so I’ll write it here 😊

Firstly, Allie, what a brilliant job you did on that thread. You give of yourself so unselfishly and are so supportive, go you!

I start this challenge 100g above my target and half a kilo above starting the last one. I’m putting it down to wedding preps but it has to stop here! So, yet again, back to basics. I haven’t put down a weight goal the last couple of challenges but a small but discernible upward trend on MFP graph tells me I’d better.

So, today 64.1, goal is 62 by early June. I have to concentrate on managing the social events the way I used to, no little relaxes because ‘just this won’t hurt ‘- for me, it does! I’m going to try to post more frequently as well for accountability.

Good luck everyone.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Looking forward to a new challenge.I was doing so well,don’t know what happened at the weekend.My hubby wants to take me out for a meal tomorrow night,I’d rather do without it and get back on track but may just write the day off,I won’t go mad, and start on Thursday as I mean to go.I’ve been reading the Gary Taubes book,it’s so interesting and I’m learning a lot.I was hoping for this challenge to be in the overweight category at the end rather than obese but that’ll be for the next one.I’m annoyed with myself but will say this,carbs are addictive and I don’t like the feeling of being so full and yucky.These past couple of days I’ve been on plan and the weight will come off.I’m going to stick to 800 calories and 20g of carbs a day.I did that for 3 weeks and felt great.Funnily enough,strawberries were my downfall and one thing led to another.Please continue to inspire me!

• posted by Sophie99
    on

Evening everyone, I’m looking for a bit of advice… I know there has been plenty of discussion about ‘bathroom issues’ on the forum before, but I really feel like I’ve tried everything now! My weight hasn’t moved in over a week and I know it must have something to do with the fact there hasn’t been any um.. movement.. in 10 (!!!) DAYS NOW. And even that one was helped along by a senna tablet. It can’t be healthy. I’ve tried prunes (although I can’t really have enough to make a difference because of the carbs/sugar), always have loads of veg, avocados, rasberries, chia seeds, coffee, water. No wonder my weight is stalling… I’m resisting taking another senna because I’ve heard your body can become reliant on them. Can anyone suggest anything else?? Sorry for the subject matter!

• posted by Mariet
    on

I found Magnesium citrate tabs did the trick. They were advised by someone on the forum when I was quite desperate, about 6 weeks in. Two tabs daily if needed and not had a problem since. Don’t seem to create dependence, I’ve used them on and off for a year.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning!
    How was everyone’s day yesterday? I had a busy one with a “lunch and learn Mindfulness” session at lunchtime. Very interesting and something I’ve never tried. It was, however, provided with an array of sandwich, wraps, crisps and pots of fruit salad. Not a bsd friendly thing to be seen! Fortunately, I wasn’t expecting there to be, so I had a small salad from our salad bar in the restaurant. I did have to try the “coronation slaw”. A tablespoon, being mindful! It was delicious but no idea how to carb and cal count that. I must look up that dressing and work out how to do it myself. I’m going to attempt a 20:4 fast today to give myself a bit of a boost! I’ve got two boiled eggs to have at 4pm.
    See you all later, fellow zoomers! xxx

• posted by Momof2
    on

Morning everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Not a bad first day. Hopefully it will continue like that today.

Buddhaswife thanks for the tip about my fitness pal. I may try that and see if it helps me keep track of calories.

One thing I really struggled with is keeping on track with water intake. Any suggestions?

KazzUK- sounds like you really achieved mindfulness about your food with your option at lunch 🙂

Mariet- thanks for the tip about magnesium citrate. Will keep it in mind if I need it.

Sueblue- will check out the recipe book you mention.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone. I’m in!

Really interesting posts on here already. I resonate with a lot of what has been said.

Quick summary of where I’m at: started BSD in Jan 17 (hi SueBlue!), did Fast800 a couple of times and have been on and off since then, with slow (sometimes very slow) and steady weight loss for the last few months. Until April 🙁 Currently 138lb and my original target was 133lb but I’ve since revised that to 128lb. I did get to 136lb – touching 135lb – by beginning of April but then had various family celebrations and a few pounds snuck back on.

My self-discipline is not the best! I tagged onto the end of the May 4 week challenge and am beginning to get back in the groove but the sunny weather in the UK inevitably finds me sitting in the garden after work with a glass or two of wine. Not beating myself up – life is for living after all – but I want to move forward and shed some more pounds. My body is ready so I just need to get on with it.

When I say “my body is ready” I do mean that literally. I do seem to go through phases of plateauing then the weight comes off again – seemingly unrelated to what I am consuming. Weirdly what I have struggled with most is (a) breaking through the next stone barrier (why does it take much longer to lose the pound you need to do that than any other pound?!) and (b) re-losing weight that has gone back on again. This is really the case for me at the moment: I had been 136lb for ages but am seemingly now stuck on 138lb.

Anyway I hope that being part of this 4 week challenge will give me the impetus I need to start losing again, and wish the same for all of you too. Look forward to celebrating our successes – and helping each other through our frustrations – together 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.