Zoom into June with a low carb VrooOOOM!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Morning everyone,

My day was fairly good yesterday, I drank 3 litres of water ( it helps when it’s a hot day) went on a long walk, but I did go over calories a little. I definitely struggle with the hunger! Trying to work out how much of it is “ real” hunger and how much is in my mind!!!!

Sophie99 I too struggle with the same problems!! And end up resorting to laxatives a lot but you do become reliant on them. I will Mariets suggestion a try and try using the magnesium citrate tablets.

Momof2 you could log your water intake on MyFitnessPal? Or yesterday I had 2 1.5 bottles of water so was easy to keep track of that then I had lots of drinks on top of that.

Hope everyone has a great day today. I’m going to fit in another long walk, drink plenty and try my best to stick to 800 calories and 20g of carbs. 🤞🏻 Xx

• posted by treelady
    on

Morning All,
    back again after rather spectacularly falling off the wagon for the last two weeks – no-one’s fault except my own, following through on the ‘just one hot cross bun and butter for breakfast won’t hurt’ which escalated to an all out carb fest. So not surprised that getting on the scales this morning has shown a large increase in weight.
    A lot of personal issues going on at the moment, so the posts on comfort eating resonated very strongly with me. Sweet, carby, sugary foods = comfort for me, and that is something I need to explore with myself further to get to the inner reason why that is so. Also, still struggling with my ‘WHY’ am I doing this question, and have eliminated some of the shallow reasons, so that’s progress of a sort.
    But, the sun has been shining and I’ve managed to spend every spare minute out in the garden, and in my head it is now officially salad and green leafy things season, so that makes meal times much easier.
    My aim for this challenge – to get back on the BSD wagon and make some downward progress.

• posted by carothomas
    on

I’m feeling especially blue this morning – my sugars are up (7.1) and so is my blood pressure – the highest since I started this 6 weeks ago. Yesterday I worked at being low carb (I maybe had 25g?), drank loads of water, got almost 10K steps and am at my wit’s end trying to work out why my results this morning were so bad. I *did* have a small amount of low carb ice cream ( the gnom-gnom recipe posted in another thread) and that contains Xylitol. It’s the first time I’ve had that. I’m wondering if that’s off limits as well. Feeling very defeated as I really expected good results this morning. I know this is a long haul thing but it’s very difficult to remain upbeat when effort isn’t rewarded with good results. I also know that other factors play into this like stress and there’s plenty of that in my life at the moment. So today I’ll do it all again minus the ice cream and see where that gets me.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Well done, Treelady. It’s such a relief when we climb back on! 🙂 Nice to see you also, Dreams…. 🙂
    Hi CaroT – don’t fret… we’ll get to the bottom of it. Could you list everything you ate yesterday? You’re certainly doing everything you can… I’m not familiar with this icecream. Hopefully some of our more knowledgeable brethren can advise…. 😉
    It’s good to see so many people taking part…. gosh, we’re on Page 2 already!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Carothomas, as a newly diagnosed T2 you might not realise that your BG can go up for no apparent reason and not necessarily food related. Stress, infection, tiredness, change of routine and more can all have an effect. Speaking of effect – have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon – it is what happens when you are not eating so much. During the night your liver scans around for glucose in the blood and if it cant find enough it assumes you are starving so pumps out a load of glycogen (sugar) to make sure you dont die in your sleep. Sounds very dramatic but we are talking about a function that goes back thousands of years when people did starve (caveman times) and our bodies dont know that things have changed a bit. When you dont eat your body tries to counter this. The tip is to have a small snack before you go to bed, something BSD friendly like a slice of ham or chicken or cheese or some yoghurt. This should fool the liver into not over-reacting.

• posted by carothomas
    on

Thanks KazzUK and sunshine-girl 🙂 I am aware that many things can impact BG but it’s very helpful to be reminded – I have a tendency to look for a pattern where there simply may not be one! I didn’t know about the Dawn Phenomenon though so thanks for the info on that, very interesting. As for what I ate yesterday, here goes:
    Chicken Waldorf salad, from the BSD book (I put it on chopped little gems instead of wraps), so chicken, FF yoghurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, apple, celery & walnuts, amounts as per the recipe (300kc). Lamb kebabs from the recipe book (lamb marinated in oil & harissa, green pepper & mushrooms with raita – 460kc approx). Low carb ice cream (coconut milk, cocoa, xylitol, double cream, vanilla extract, xanthan gum & brandy), a small serving, so maybe 100kc. I’m just keeping on with it today and hoping for better things!

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all zooomers!
    KazzUK how smart of you to be ahead with the sallad! Nohting can stopp your efforts! Great!
    Mumof2 I have simpyfed waterlog. I pour upp water in a 2.5 liter pitcher. When its empty I log in the Fitbit app (or you can use a paper). That’s my minimum everyday but most days have over 3 liter. When I’m out from home (where my work is) I bring a (BPAfree) bottle of 500 ml and log everytime I refill. Maby that can be an idea you can tweak to suit you?
    Have a nice day everyone!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Was going to have a rest this month from posting as I seem to be struggling with maintenance but have given myself a talking to and am going to try to stay positive and get some Vroom for June. My son gets married on 23rd June so that should be enough motivation. I am really finding it difficult to stay at goal so do need to keep focused with BSD.

Today’s weight 136.4.
    Goal weight was 133. October 2017
    Best weight was 131 November 2017
    worst weight since being at goal was 138.8 April 2017

My aim is to get back to 133 for the wedding which I know I can do but I need to
    Stop eating crisps!

My daughter in law to be has arranged a cream tea afternoon for us at the next Bank Holiday weekend which I know I will enjoy. I’ve decided I’ll eat everything that day. Also at the wedding I am going to eat and drink everything. I’ve been so good for 18 months that I feel I can enjoy these two special events without guilt so I need to get back to my lowest possible weight in order to enjoy both days without too much weight gain.

I really do want to get my Vroom back. Don’t know what’s wrong with me. Good luck everyone and I will be posting my weight every Tuesday for the next four weeks whatever the result. Thanks for keeping up the positivity and have a great week everyone.

Cathy

• posted by Momof2
    on

Thanks ladies. I have now got a 750ml bottle which I will attempt to religiously use. If that does not work I will go for the pitcher.

I have also realised, I eat rather voraciously in Evenings- maybe a combination of comfort eating and not drinking enough water in the day.

Thank you so much for all your ideas and support. I feel as if I may actually vroom along into June with all of you after all!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

We’re all racing ahead! Fabulous posts!
    Momof2, I also struggle drinking 2 litres let alone 3. I just can’t drink cold water, so I drink warm with a slice of lemon! I have a lovely large bone china mug and 3 mugs equal 1 litre. So I write I I I I I I on my pad or post it at work and cross a stick off after each mug. 👍
    ClarinetCathy – you have a wonderful goal to aim for! I’m routing for you! 😁
    Need to make dinner now, garlic cheesy mushrooms with ribbons of courgette. Yum and very quick!
    See you all in the morning, vroomers! 💕

• posted by go4it
    on

Good Evening,
    I am new to the BSD diet with only a couple of blips but not too bad . I lost 7lbs first week 1/2 so far second so a bit disappointed. I have kept to 800 calories even when going out. I have my nieces wedding in 3 weeks and then on holiday for a month in France . I struggle when we go out to find things to eat and also what to snack on if you suddenly have to eat. Any suggestions would be lovely.

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi all – lots of us zooming into June with a vrooom!
    So lovely to know there are lots of us ‘out there!’
    I’ve not lost anything so far, still at 16lbs off after 4 weeks, hope to lose 2lbs a week from now on.
    I’ve done well today – on a school trip, freezing cold, resisted the cakes being handed round and stuck to my little pot of cooked chicken with half an avocado and some cucumber and celery cubes! Then salmon fillet and roasted peppers tonight … was feeling pleased with myself when I remembered my transgression …. another teacher offered me a Polo Mint on the way back as I was feeling a bit green on the coach – and I just took it and ate it – a lump of pure sugar – argh!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Cathy and DCT, lovely to have my fellow Jan 17 BSDers along for this challenge 🙂
    Cathy how exciting that you have your son’s wedding coming up! You’ve done so well so far, I’m sure you’ll reach your 4 week goal.
    Go4it, holidays, travelling and outings are where I struggle a bit too. I carry around a small tub of almonds, goji berries, cacao nibs and pumpkin seeds. If I’m out between meals I eat some of my mix. I only have 3 or 4 almonds but I find it staves off the hunger pangs. This is especially helpful when I’m travelling home from work, and is a healthier option than the vending machine snacks at the station.
    The other thing I do when I’m out and everyone is wants to stop for a snack is to choose the healthiest option I can, but according to the budget I have (both calories and $). Sometimes this won’t be strictly on plan (in terms of the 800 calories BSD), but I try and at least stick to the Mediteranean diet principles. So when at a cafe and everyone is ordering cake with their coffee, I’ll have a piece of grainy toast and peanut butter instead. Not quite to plan but I figure that at least that is filling and reasonably nutritious (especially compared to cake!).

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning lovely people!

Go4it, I second the suggestion on carrying some nuts and seeds with you. My go to’s are macadamias, 3 or 4 seem to do the trick and taste very satisfying. After 5 weeks on this WOL I can honestly say that white carbs don’t really appeal to me much and I’m actually ok just having a coffee or sparkly water in a coffee shop etc.

Regarding the holidays, my plan for this summer is to loosen up the calories but keep to the principles of BSD and avoid any refined carbs and sugar. I’m also going to keep up the intermittent fasting as it really suits me. And do a few fasting days.
    We’re staying at my parents holiday home so will have have a well equipped kitchen, and I know the shops and restaurants close by so that definitely helps. As always, planning is the key.

Go get your vroom on Cathy, wedding sounds like a great motivator!

I’m not having the greatest of weeks here so far, husband is away with work and myself and the kiddies are off sick with a cold and feeling miserable. Weather’s a bit too hot for this time of year which doesn’t help when you’re running a temperature…
    So absolutely no exercise done, no proper meal times and broken sleep, feeling yuck!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning, my lovelies! 🙂
    Am running late this morning so just popping in very quickly.
    I did plan to do an intermittent fast yesterday of 20:4 with my eating window between 4-8pm. Well, when I got to 4pm, I wasn’t hungry and too busy really to stop and eat, so ended up doing a 24 hour fast by the time I had dinner around 8:45pm. I did manage 2 litres of warm water and lemon slice, and probably another litre (3 mugs) of black coffee. 🙂 Yey! I shall have lunch today of a few seed crackers and a bit of red leicester and a babybel, gherkin and cucumber.
    See you all later! xx

• posted by kaz62
    on

Morning everyone-wishing you all a successful day 3 – my change for today is to drop the milk in my coffee so that I’m doing 16:8 I dont eat breakfast on F800 but have normal when I get up and decaf for the rest of the day but like it milky – a look at MFP made me realise how many carbs the milk is adding 😩so hoping the scales will reward me 👍

on

Great to be getting my vroom back amongst so many friends. This morning I’ve decided to have a fast day. I feel it might give me back some control. I’ve fasted before and did 42 hours but that was when I was in the zone. I’m going to fast until lunchtime tomorrow.
    Kaz62- interesting about the coffee and milk! I’m going to go back on cream in my coffee. I think that I’ve slipped into bad habits again and frothy milk in my aerocinno is one of them.
    135.2 this morning so heading in the right direction.
    Have a good day everyone. This is the only way of eating that has worked for me to lose a significant amount of weight but we have to remember to keep on keeping on otherwise it’s back to square one.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi everyone
    Well things have been going well for me the last couple of days. I’ve done my 10,000 steps both days and I’m about to go out for a nice early morning walk.
    SueBlue – thanks for the book tip. I’ve just bought the kindle version, so will give some of the recipes a go. I made a batch of Verano’s green soup yesterday. I know it’s Spring but a cup of soup for lunch is always a great standby for me.
    Caro – just wanted to add in another thing about rising bgls – as well as the dawn phenomenon etc there have been a few people who used to post on here (e.g. Bill1954 but others also) who experienced their blood sugars rising again suddenly a few weeks into the BSD even though they’d been doing everything to a T and life was on an even keel. They stayed higher for a week or two and then dropped again. It happened to me also. So, another possible explanation. Keep going, keep the carbs low and it does work. My HbA1c was almost 12% (106) when I was diagnosed in August last year and the last two HbA1c results (3 months apart) have been approx. 5.5% (35 and 36) – back in the normal range. Amazing really. You’ll get there xx
    ClarinetCathy – yes, the last bit of your post pretty much sums up where I’m at – this new way of eating and lifestyle isn’t quite as embedded as I thought it was as yet. Still, I like it better than my old way of living and I like me better now too (even though I was pretty damn good before!) so there’s to be no going back for me either – ‘not one step backwards’ (Esnecca quote).
    Go well everyone!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Kaz62 – when I first started this back in August, I used to drink gallons of tea! That was my crutch in the early days. I did used to have it with unsweetened soya milk. Now though I have switched to freshly brewed black coffee… plus it’s just easier when you’re at someone’s house to say “black coffee” please rather than having tea with cow’s milk because they haven’t got soya.

Gaff of the morning……. ok, well, I have an incredible knack of coming out with something really daft or (sometimes) amusing for all the wrong reasons…. My boss has just gone over to Belgium on the Eurostar for a couple of days. I emailed him this morning about something and then added, “must be a nice train ride from St Pancras to Brussels…”? He replied, “it’s rather boring, dark and flat, actually, being in the tunnel!” *sigh* 🙂 After 20 years, he’s used to me and my gaffs…. ! 🙂
    Catch you all later! 🙂

• posted by carothomas
    on

Good morning everyone! Thanks for all the information and feedback, it has really helped.

* marie123 – thank you for the information about the rising bgls – it *really* helps to know that I’m not the only one to experience this! It will help me to regain patience and to know that they will come back down. Today they were slightly improved, at 6.8, which although high, is a step in the right direction! I’m keeping on keeping on and trusting the programme 🙂 My HbA1c was around 10% at the end of March and my next test is the end of June – I know that the results will show improvement so I’m focusing on making that as good as I can. I am now paying a lot more attention to my carbs and trying to get closer to 20g each day.

* ClarinetCathy – good luck with your fast today!
    * KazzUK – congratulations on your 24 hour fast – that’s brilliant! Hope today goes equally well for you.
    * Amarela – hope your kids improve soon and you get some sleep.

Right, off to plan and sort my lunch – unusually, I have no idea what I want today other than it needs to be minimal effort and prep!

Caro
    xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Greetings all! I’m working feverishly to get some Spring cleaning done before the weather my side of the pond gets
    too hot 🙂 This is just a quick drive by, but I have to thank Mariet for her generous comments. You are an angel!
    I am very appreciative that you see me in such a positive light. Thank you!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Caro – another tip (if you’re in the UK) is to get access to your medical records online (or at least phone up/collect your Hba1c results) before your review meeting with the GP/practice nurse. It’s really helpful to have seen your results so you can plan any discussion e.g. about reducing meds or work out questions beforehand.

Oh, Allie – don’t go there. Feverish is just the right word.! I’ve been spring cleaning for well over a month now. As someone has been helping to sort out the garden for us I’ve had a skip at the front of the house and now have one at the back to help clear the back garden. I’ve therefore felt obliged to extend my spring clean EVERYWHERE – the garage, the loft, the backs of cupboards – I’m currently surrounded by Christmas decorations which I’ve decided need to be ‘thinned out’. Why? Please someone just tell me to STOP!

Kazz – that’s hilarious about the tunnel!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Okay, Marie..CEASE and DESIST! I’m on cobweb patrol at the moment. I’d like to just lock the door and drive 4 hrs
    to our favorite beach on Cape Cod, and forget about it all 🙂 Trying to be “responsible” and get it done before early
    June when we’re hoping to get away! You are light years ahead of me, I’m sure. I’m afraid if I even approach the
    walk in closets, everything will explode out of there as if jet propelled. Enjoy your lunch. How about some dijon
    custard with that?

xx Allie

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone

Hope all is well – sounds like some good progress going on and it’s good to share our frustrations too. Some interesting posts on here: I can’t post often but do read everything to keep inspired!

Just to say a quick hello to ClarinetCathy and wish you well on your wedding goal. It does seem that when you get to – or near to – target, the pounds become more stubborn! Also I’m sure I read somewhere on here ages ago that our bodies have a preferred weight that they will try to get back to. Not sure if there’s any basis of truth in that at all! But since getting below 10 stone and being there for several months now, I am fighting a battle with the scales starting to creep up towards it again. Apart from a big celebration week back in early April Im not aware that I’m doing anything drastically different to what I have been during those several months, but I also do feel fatter if that makes sense!

Hence why I’m making a renewed effort and also back on the forums again 🙂 Together we can do this!

Good luck to you all X

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Happy Friday, Zoomers!
    Well, I have a plan for tomorrow since a gardener came to see me last night to quote on my garden. He took one look at it and high tailed it out of there! It did say, somewhat feebly, “it’s not as bad as it looks”, but I could tell by his face that my words were falling on deaf ears! So I’ll be up early strimming, and chopping before it gets too warm! I shall catch a bit of the wedding too!
    What are everyone else’s plans?
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Amarela
    on

Hah Kazz, your garden sounds a bit like mine!
    However we have a thriving hedgehog community living in and around it so I keep telling myself that’ our overgrown garden is actually an eco friendly oasis for wildlife 😂

We do have about half of it sort of manicured so my weekend plans also include lots of garden work, tidying up flower beds and replacing some plants that didn’t survive the crazy winter. And definitely a peak of the wedding! If only this stupid cold would clear off… typically kiddies are better already and bouncing off the walls.

Whoever mentioned magnesium citrate earlier or on the previous thread, thank you! Great for the old regularity issue…

• posted by wendyq
    on

Dreamscometrue,the last 4 week challenge really kept me focused,until the last few days and I did lose a few pounds.I also seem to hover just above the stone mark and it’s hard to get below that.That’s my goal this time,to be in the 11stones,it’ll be a lot of work but now I’m at what I was before I went off a bit last week .I’m away to make the courgette soup ,Skinny-to-be’s recipe and made ice lollies last night so I won’t be tempted by all the other ones in the freezer.Hope we can all have a good day and not be tempted !.

• posted by carothomas
    on

marie123 – thanks you for the tip about getting my results in advance. I am in the UK so I’ll be able to do that. It hadn’t ‘t even occurred to me! My doctor is fully aware that I’m working to reverse my T2D and to get off the metformin and is very supportive of that (I know I’m lucky).

My good news today is the my blood sugars have dropped – down to 5.8. The slightly difficult to absorb news for me is that it’s in response to me working hard to drop my carbs to around 20g. This won’t be news to a lot of you, but I was really hoping I wouldn’t have to go quite so low! Oh well, it’s just one factor, so I’m not going to tie myself in knots over it.

It’s a gorgeous sunny day here in the South West – looking forward to getting some steps and some Vitamin D in the fresh air! Have a great day everyone.

Caro
    x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Carothomas – it’s taken me a whole year to accept that if I want to keep off the insulin I have to accept that I have to stay at 20g carbs or under. It has been easier to accept after reading the GaryTaubes and Dr Fung books because I now understand the science behind it.

It also helped learning that aggressive insulin therapy increased my risk of dying early by up to a whopping 276%. So I will do absolutely everything I can to avoid going back on insulin. I started intermittent fasting last week to improve my insulin sensitivity and reboot my beta cells so am hopeful that sometime in the future I will be able to up my good carbs higher than 20g a day.

• posted by treelady
    on

Morning All,
    does anyone have a nice, simple, tasty recipe for what to do with Asparagus?
    I’m not a great fan of it, but we have been give a large carrier bag full of locally grown, freshly picked, and I realised I don’t really know what’s best when it comes to cooking it. I don’t have a griddle pan, so I’m not able to cook it using methods that need that.
    Many thanks all.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Treelady, you could bake it in the oven with a little drizzle of olive oil and seasoning? Wrap the spears with parma ham or streaky bacon and have “soldiers” to dip in your soft boiled egg. Or poach an egg and serve on top. Yum!! I could eat a plate of baked asparagus spears just on their own!

• posted by carothomas
    on

Treelady – I’m in the “love it, can’t get enough during the short season” asparagus camp, so my suggestions may not be to your taste. They are – simply steam it for 7-8 minutes (I prefer it softer rather than al dente) and serve with some butter spread over so it melts. If you have enough calories it’s also delicious with Hollandaise sauce. I agree with all of Kazz’s suggestions too! Or, wrap a steamed bundle in parma ham, finely grate parmesan on top and then grill until the cheese melts and the parma ham crisps up. I love both methods although think I’ll be going with the second later on today, as a first course for dinner 🙂

Caro
    x

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi all,

Today marks the half way point for me – 4 weeks on the 8-800 program. It’s been a strange week. Previous weeks I’ve managed to stay within calorie and 50g carb range quite easily and often a lower intake by circumstance rather than design. This week, however? Aye-aye-yay it’s been tough. I’ve felt hungry often and had one day when I just went well over the calories but stuck to the qualitative principles. Since then I had a think and have added a slice of wholegrain rye bread to my lunch of protein and salad. It seemed to have made the difference and I can now get through to dinner without much problem. Phew!

Has anyone else had this as I’ve read mostly of people who have found it a breeze to shrink their calorific and qualitative intake?

All else is well. Am very much looking forward to the end of the 8 weeks – not so much for binge purposes – but just being able to eat when I need to eat without quite so much calorie watching. That aside, I love the fatsecret app, the good skin and sleep and the increasingly baggy clothing. Overall I feel calmer, less reactive and more settled within. It’s a lovely feeling to welcome in after a long period of stress and loss.

Good weekend all

Trundlebug x

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Hi everyone newbies and oldies. Thanks kazzee for setting this up and well done on the fast! I’m in on this one too. I’m vrooming and zooming with you all but not into June only til a week on Monday! We are off to France then in moho for two weeks and two days so won’t be strictly adhering. I’m sure there might be a bit of cheese and a little wine and nibbles creeping in, but hopefully won’t be too bad.
    Right then! Got back from Norfolk last night and sat outside 13°. Was cold but that was warmer than the daytime temperatures we’ve had since Monday! It was bloody freezing. Really cold wind and the icing on the cake? FOG all day Tuesday! On way home yesterday went to Hunstanton and it was lovely. Didn’t use our bikes once (too windy!) We walked about 15000 steps daily though in sheringham, Cromer and around west runton. Foot still swollen and sore but getting there. Not really rested it much. Got on the scales this morning and was 10 st .5 lb so a 1 lb gain. I can live with that. I still want some wiggle room to allow for holidays which, now we’ve set up carers for my mum, we hope to be doing more often. Will stick to low carb “loosely” but may sneak an odd baguette slice now and then.
    Sunshine girl I’ll be thinking of you when we’re in Limeuil and le bugue and wondering if you’re in your pool.
    Allie thank you for doing the last thread. Please don’t disappeared off the threads your words of wisdom are far too valuable to all. KOKO my lovely 😘

• posted by go4it
    on

Hi all,
    I’m really struggling I lost 7lbs the first week and then nothing. I have had no bread potato or rice for three weeks. I keep to 800 calories a day with carbs round the 50 . I use Lifesum to track . I do have 7 teas and coffees a day and try to keep water up I’m sure that it is the three ltrs. I go to gym classes plus gym and walking 4-6 times a week.
    I do fast for about 14 hours several times a week by having brunch not lunch. I tend not to use recipes in the book but have lots of salad with fish and chicken.
    We go away to self catering apartment to see Father in law who is in a home next week then back for two before going to France for about a month. I’m then going to do the 12 week program. I would love to lose weight before going to France as it is a big family wedding.
    Please has anyone got any ideas ( I’m not diabetic or pre).
    Sorry to go on.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone .

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, Go4it,
    There are quite a few of us on the forum who have had to drop their levels of carbs down to around 20g a day to loose weight. Also worth making sure you are weighing and recording absolutely everything, its easy for just and extra nibble to change the figures.

• posted by marie123
    on

Tillybud, it’s really lovely to hear that the caring arrangements have worked out so well so you can have your holidays – and congrats on managing your weight so well while in Norfolk.
    Caro – I just went straight in at 20g carbs from the beginning as I’d read on here and on diabetes.co.uk so many people for whom that level had worked in terms of reducing their blood sugar levels (always my number 1 priority) but I am going to test out the impact of slightly higher levels of carbs at some point. Will let you know what happens when I do.
    Go4it – I agree with JGwen, you might need to drop your carbs, even if you did it a little bit at a time. Just a couple of other thoughts – if you take milk in your tea or coffee that can add to quite a few carbs which might have an impact on the rate of your weight loss – it did mine so I eventually cut it out (although I do still have a nice cup of tea first thing in the morning now and again). Also, l’m not an expert on exercise at all, (only started doing any last August) but I did read that it can effect weight loss i.e. stall it or slow it down and I found that was true for me – i.e. I didn’t lose on days I went to gym. Only anecdotal based on my reading and individual experience but it might be worth considering maybe doing slightly less? Other people might be more knowledgeable about this.

Trundlebug – I can’t really help because I just stayed off the bread altogether because of my blood sugar levels but I think whatever helps you to get to your goals is good. It’s great to hear how much better you’re feeling – it’s great isn’t it.

I’m an asparagus fan so thanks everyone for the reminder its that time of year. Also, I’m gong to try the courgette soup that has been talked about on another thread – it’s part of my challenge to mix up my diet more.

Well, having avoided the whole Royal Wedding thing up to today (hurrah) I’m now watching it on telly and thoroughly enjoying watching everyone arrive – just seen Gorgeous George and Amal – and the fashion parade (apparently yellow is ‘in’ – who knew!)

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Marie xx

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi all … dare I say it? Over the past week my blood pressure has started looking steadier. Still high but less bonkers when I take my 3 readings. Whoop !

Marie123 – I agree on the whatever works front. While I am aiming for 50g total carbs per day, on hungry days I will allow that to push to 70 ish. I realise this is not the ticket for those who are reducing BS but it is still considered considerably lower carb than a ‘normal’ diet. Bread is something I’m not embracing on this diet but when I feel I need it’s heft I’m having the wholegrain German rye kind which is pretty low GI.

I am with you on avoiding the wedding. Happy for them and all that but just not my scene. Went to a nearly new sale at a primary school and decked out the littlest with summer clothes and the middlest with shorts and Tshirts to trash within hours. Spent and Lloyd of 15 quid and that included a bag of My Little Ponies (yawn) and cd stories for the car.

Have a good one all x

• posted by Momof2
    on

GM everyone! Lovely to hear from you how everyone is doing. For my part after the first couple of days I hit a glitch. Sunny weather meant I managed to drink enough water. However I really struggled keeping low carb. We spent a lot of time outdoors and key lesson for me is to plan meals and take packed lunch.

Hopefully today will be better.

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi all
    Have fallen off the wagon in real style!! 12 weeks of being soooo good but spectacular binge and crash BG reading this morning back up to 7.8 having taken 9 solid weeks to get it to normal!! Why do we do this to ourselves? Back on it today!!
    Hopefully others are having a better weekend!
    I need to focus forward, dwell on what I can change, ON THE RECOVERY not the past mistake, that has been and gone I must now MOVE FORWARD!!
    Enjoy the day everyone
    Denise xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Zoomers!
    I hope you’re all having a gorgeous weekend? I’ve spent most of it in the garden yesterday and just about to go out and do another stint although I ache all over!
    Denise, yes, just keep moving forward. 👍 I’ve fallen off more than once, but going back to how I was before bsd just fills me with dread! I just remind myself how heavy, breathless, tired and foggy brained I was and in despair! I never want to feel like that again and that helps keep me going. 😀
    KOKO! 🏎🏎🏎🏎

on

Watched the Royal Wedding yesterday and drank two glasses of Spumante and ate a lot of nuts and crisps. Then my neighbour made me and my husband a fruit scone so I ate that with clotted cream and raspberry jam. I have to say that all the naughty things I ate I chose to eat and ate them mindfully! . The scales won’t lie on Tuesday but true to my word I will be posting the shameful result. Been good today with salad and quorn for lunch and am having a few strawberries with Greek yoghurt for my evening meal. See you on Tuesday with my head held in shame no doubt. Back to it………

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi CC, yes, I went slightly awry also yesterday. Having avoided all the hype beforehand I also ended up watching the Royal Wedding. Then popped into the church next door to us, who were having a kind of street party (gave them some children’s games to raffle – spring clean rather than generosity, tbh ). I bought lots of homemade foods which I normally freeze for future visitors but then we got an invitation from our other neighbour who were having a barbecue for their friends to watch the FA Cup final (football) late afternoon so took everything there – and ended up drinking, and therefore eating, too much. Anyway, I had a very enjoyable day but it’s back to business today.

I’ve spent a good chunk of today planning this week’s menus and shopping for ingredients – I’m going to make a big effort to buy and cook seasonally, and particularly focus on creating delicious salads. I think it was California girl that commented to someone on another thread today or yesterday that you have to learn how to do this way of life. That really struck me – last year I had to spend quite a bit of time and energy on learning how to do, and enjoy doing, exercise. Now, I need to learn how to cook differently, use ingredients I’m not familiar with etc. It’s going to be another big effort for me.

There’s also something for me about continuing to move away from the food culture of my broader family which brings up all sorts of emotions for me – something like this happened last year when I gave up my cups of tea with milk which were something I associated with sharing good times with my lovely old Mum. Here we go again……. time for a long walk to work out what I’m getting so churned up about.

Go well everyone
    Marie xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Well, I’ve been up early this morning and being one of the lucky retirees (I’m sorry everyone who’s currently dashing to work) I’m about to go out for a lovely walk along the coast in the early morning sunshine.
    KrysiaD, I was away from the Forum for a few weeks over early May so I missed your post giving your latest Hba1c results but have just read about them, so very belated congratulations – what a fantastic result!
    Trundlebug – hope your BP is still doing a bit better – no more talk of weddings from me now, promise!
    Denise – I’m with you and Kazz – focusing on moving forward is the way to go.

My plan for today is to start weighing and measuring everything again to keep my portions under control, get back to recording everything on fatsecret and properly join the local gym – I’ve been on an exercise on prescription scheme since October which, luckily was extended but has now run out – it’s time to bite the bullet and pay full price – ouch!

I’ll have a small bowl of homemade soup for lunch and going to have some sort of delicious salad for my dinner (to be determined but I’m going to put time and energy into creating something new), and lots and lots of water.

Have a good day/afternoon/evening everyone.

• posted by marie123
    on

Btw, I’ve been wondering where Marsie is. Marsie, if you’re around how are you doing?

• posted by carothomas
    on

Good morning!

Another gorgeous day – we’re really not used to sun this many days in a row, here in the UK (tongue firmly in cheek). I have a question about metformin – I’m hoping that someone here has some insight, after the really helpful information regarding my BGL last week. I’ve been on metformin for about 7.5 weeks. I haven’t really had any stomach issues, which surprised me, as I do have a bit of a weakness there. But, even though I’ve not really changed food, other than trying to reduce my carbs, for the last three (possibly four) days I’ve had a constant upset stomach. I was up 3/4 times in the night on Saturday. Yesterday wasn’t too bad but both last night and this morning when I got up, upset. I know regular metformin is renowned for stomach issues, but thought I’d adjusted fine. Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any ideas what could be causing stomach upsets this far in? Today is the last day of Week 7 on the BSD so I really think I’ve adjusted to the changes (except, as I say, I’ve reduced my carbs). I know everyone is different, and I’m seeing my doctor next week, so I’ll obviously raise it with her.

Thank you!
    Caro
    x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Marie, I’ve been experimenting with salads. I was used to them being lettuce, tomato, cucumber and carrot!
    Now I love making salads. I usually make up a batch of the spicy red salad from the BSD recipe book (beetroot, red cabbage and red onion with balsamic vinegar, chilli, cumin and coriander). It lasts all week. I also love roast veg salads. So at night when I’m making dinner and have the oven on I’ll often bake some red onion, pumpkin cubes, red capsicum, Brussel spouts – whatever I have in the fridge really, then I’ll use them in my salad the next day. My lunch box often looks like a rainbow! I’ll have some of the red salad, the orange pumpkin and then the lovely green baby spinach or lettuce. Have fun experimenting!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Marie123 – thank you. Am hoping for an even better Hb1ac in August as BS are even lower now. I will then be under the care of my local local GP surgery’s diabetes nurse rather than the Regional Hospitals diabetes clinic where I see a different person every time
    – as long as it is a a good Hb1ac.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Caro,
    Sorry, I can’t help as I decided not to take the prescribed Metformin – I know it does have a bit of a reputation for its side effects but as you say it’s odd this length of time in. Hopefully someone else with some experience will have some insight.
    Marie xx

n.b. Just thought – have you been upping the dosage over time (1 tablet 1 week, 2 tablets for 1 week etc) so that you’ve only recently been taking maximum strength? The practice nurse told me that if at some point I started encountering problems to drop back down to taking the number of tablets where I was OK.

• posted by marie123
    on

SueBlue – gosh, thanks. Yes, my salads are basically lettuce, tomato and cucumber so will try the things you suggest. It’s the right time of year (and right weather here today) so it’s time for me to throw caution to the wind and experiment away!
    Btw, I’ve been reading the book you recommended by Lynette Anderson and I’m definitely going to try some of her meals. Will let you know how I get on. xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.