4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

Looks like we do have similar tastes. Five weeks to your birthday does that make you Pisces!!!! My daughter is one!

Must admit the Spanish beginners 1 is really well organised. It’s a bit basic for me but it gets down to pronunciation almost immediately. Might be worth you taking a look. I remember when I first started my OU Spanish course the online tutor asked if I’d ever studied French. Basic difference is that in Spanish 98% of the letters are pronounced allthough there are odd exceptions!

I have had/ am having the day from hell today!!!!!

Have just suddenly, after 6 months, lost the plot ….. chocolates …. baileys truffles x 3 …. hero’s x 3 , cheese and onion crisps, which I HATE, end of a large bag, maybe a normal size packet, piece of fruit cake!!! Can’t believe what I’m writing here but at least there will be no more tonight!!!!

Scales will tell tomorrow!

Hope you are all having a better day than me. Good thing is now that I have ‘confessed’ I will be able to be ‘normal’again tonight!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh Verano luvvy

What triggered that one of, your insulin will be on overdrive now, and your appetite will spike to compensate, so you know the drill, shut your eyes, and avoid all the refined rubbish, it will pass, and your carb monster will rock Of back down the road again, it will be fine, I’ve found it’s just made me maintain. I’m an expert at managing a binge, but not now I’m goody two shoes at the mo ๐Ÿ˜‡ For how long who knows, thank you for sharing. It’s a good lesson for us all.๐Ÿ™‹

• posted by Verano
    on

Janet thank you thank you thank you๐Ÿ˜€

Sometimes just a word helps! Didn’t eat anymore so all good. Think husband and son started the whole thing… just need quiet and space!!! Have that now so all good.

Weigh in tomorrow will be proof of the pudding… and I feel just like a pudding at the moment!!!

Hope you have all have a better day than me!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Verano, no I am Aquarius, 7th Feb. Seems to me that we are expected to resist and resist and we do so well, but at this time of the year the bloody stuff doesn’t go away (for me the drink) and we can only resist so much until we crack. I know my thought was at least if I drink it it will be gone. You have said to me before, we are only human. Got it out of our systems and now it is time to settle down to BSD way of life again.

I am happy with the Duolingo lessons, they start with el hombre, un nino, una nina etc, so bringing in gender but keeping it simply and then brings in the personal pronouns like, I am – yo soy, you are, he is etc. By the time we go to Spain I should be able to asked for simple foods and book a table, say please and thank you. Last year I learnt Portuguese and my family made fun, everyone speaks English they said, until we went into a restaurant and the girl looked at us like we had 2 heads and said only Spanish or Portuguese, so I quite confidently asked for a table for 7. Simple but I was the only one who spoke the language. I just have to get the Portuguese out of my head and become Spanish.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Then straight to useful phrases like “si yo gobernara el mundo, cada dia seria el primer dia de la primavera”.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi all

Back at work now thankfully. I need to get back into my routine. The plan was to lose 10lbs over the four weeks. Weighed this morning and am still at the same weight as at the start of the challenge. I’ve now revised my goal and I’m aiming to lose 7lbs over the final two weeks.

Today has not been great food wise but finished dinner at 7.30pm. Going to try a fast from now till dinner time tomorrow night. I might even skip that dinner and see if I can make it to Wednesday morning!!!!!

I’ve read a few posts about whether or not to give clothes that are too big to charity shops. I think it’s a great idea. Much better than keeping them just in case.

Maharani Kitten I hope you had a great day on your birthday!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Si yo gobernara el mundo… en mis suenos! Mas cafe por favor.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’m doing Italian on Duolingo, and finding it really helpful.

But I learned French at school and do find it difficult to keep that out of the way and the Italian at the front of my brain.

Off to do next Duolingo lesson.

on

Jules it might be a nice song but not when ordering a meal in a restaurant, unless I want Spring lamb. I speak excellent French (with a Yorkshire accent) and that helps with other languages, ie. pain bread in French, pan bread in Spanish. etc.

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

I have my blood test tomorrow, so then will be the wait to find out my hba1c result. Feeling positive. I am interested to hear from those BSDers who are close to or at their target weight. I am now down to 9 stone 12lbs, I started 3 months ago at 11 Stone 2, My aim is 9 1/2 stone or maybe a couple of lbs under for leeway but almost feel like this is a huge target I feel convinced I will never reach. Did anyone else find this mindset, so close to goal? Not sure how to get my head straight and keep on track. Thanks Hazel

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Oh, Daisiesmum, how I’d love to be petite! But have always been a giantess with size 9 feet! Have learned to love being tall and strapping but would be so nice to be dainty for a day!

Thanks to everyone for your lovely birthday wshed, I’ve had a lovely day. As anyone with a January birthday knows, best not to eat out in restaurants devoid of other diners and atmosphere when everyone’s skint after Christmas, so a friend, who is an astral twin – same birthday and age – and I take turns to cook a nice meal and invite friends – lovely. So my cals n’ carbs are a little bit higher than normal today, saved them all for dinner and had lovely pulled pork and salad, a tiny sliver of banoffi pavlova, (just a taste, didn’t fancy it at all) – some cheese and celery and a sip of fizz. My favourite card said ‘may the wings of your eyeliner always be even’…!

MK x

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

MK, Ooo I have never considered myself ‘dainty’ ๐Ÿ™‚ as a child I grew big for my age and I think I was about mid twenties before I realised I was no longer ‘tall’! I am sure being tall has many advantages. Although when it comes to clothes shopping anyone other than average Josephine must find it difficult.

Cleverblond, I’m sure we must all have our insecurities when we approach our goal weight. Keep the faith, fight the fight…etc you CAN do this. The end is very nigh for me and I am feeling both nervous and excited about switching to a lifestyle version of BSD, I am currently considering my maintenance plan.

On that note, this being weigh in day: I have lost 2.4lbs this week putting me 1.6lbs from goal! I am going to do my darndest to get to goal before next week’s medical check.

Finally, all this hablo-ing en Espanol has got me wanting to brush up my otra lengua… now, where’s that Duolingo ap I downloaded about two years ago…

• posted by Verano
    on

WEEK 3
    DAY 15 of 28

Good morning/evening

Well, half way through this ‘fix’ and I think quite a few people are back to their pre-festivities weight which is all good.

After my ‘manic Monday’ the scales stayed the same this morning. So my loss this week is 2.2lb making a total of 4lbs overall. Can’t even remember what my goal was but I’m quite happy with my progress.

Will have a look at Duolingo it sounds interesting. I manage quite well to order in a restaurant and can buy most food. I understand a good amount of the written word. My problem really is understanding Spanish speakers because they tend to speak so fast! Also in The Canary Islands they speak South American Spanish which has slightly different pronunciation and the odd words are different but in the main they are the very similar. Just need to practice more!

Hope you are all ready to tackle week 3, hope it’s a good one. Have a good day!

• posted by Verano
    on

P.S. well done Daisiesmum …… so. so very near! You WILL get there by your appointment!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Well done Verano on your weight loss – 2lbs is a good loss for the week.

Maintenance is going really well and am still exactly 9 stone 6.5lbs. Am keeping carbs as low as when I was losing weight but increasing the calories with extra nuts and seeds, smoked mackerel (which is surprisingly high in calories), yoghurt, cheese and cream.

I still weigh and log my food each day on fat secret. I will never eat the bad carbs again but I am just as bad at judging portion sizes as I ever was. Luckily I actually rather enjoy doing the weighing and logging – it’s sad isn’t it.

Blood sugars are 4.8 this morning so all is going well.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My weigh in this morning shows I have also reached my pre-festivities weight at 11 stone 3, back to 7 1/2 stone off from my starting point, but not quite back to my lowest BSD weight yet, 4 pounds of rebound still to go, then onwards and downwards again for a little while. Congratulations Daisiesmum, 1.6 pounds is nothing, I am sure you will be there before your appointment, but even if you aren’t you have much to be proud of.

• posted by Catherine 1964
    on

Well wow, am a reading correctly 7 I/2 stones off? Great on you and an inspiration for me. I have 3 stones to get off. Thank you for sharing

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello everyone, well done all for the ongoing progress, whether in weight loss or effort.

This morning’s weight = 61.7kg (last week = 63.5kg) so 1.8kg down in the face of chest infection, cough, cold, antibiotics. I’m quite impressed because preBSD I would have eaten to the point of bingeing when feeling unwell – the old ‘if I eat I’ll feel better’ syndrome. This week, I’ve managed to control the impulse. ๐Ÿ˜‡

Good luck with week 3 of this challenge xx

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all – 5.25lbs off for me this week. It’s just half a pound shy of all the festive weight I piled on but since it is 2lbs under my original target I’m going to claim a victory!

I’m looking at maintenance now and am looking keenly at Krysia’s post, the last couple of days I added an extra egg, cheese, nuts and seeds but my favourite addition at target had been a homemade cappuccino (extra 50 cals and 5g carbs) from my newest ‘toy’ that my parents bought us for Christmas, a Nespresso machine with a milk aerator – loving it. Not every day but may become a regular weekend thing ๐Ÿ™‚

Great to hear of everyone’s victories this week, long may it continue! Have a good day all
    TC

on

Aren’t people doing brilliantly! Loving these tales of 4, 6 and 7 stones lost, and under 10 stone weights now from 16 before, and great to hear about stable blood sugars too. So motivating for those of us still on a longish path. We WILL get there. We WILL stay there. Because we are standing on the shoulders of those who’ve led the way. MKx

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

MK…it is indeed wonderful that there are those that have lost these impressive and massive amounts of weights….it can be done and it shows the power of mind over matter and the willingness to want to follow a healthy way of life and eating…. FAB to all of you xxxxxx

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’ve got to admit it’s the percentages of weight loss that people have achieved that astounds me.

on

Quite so, JM. Would love to lose 25% of starting weight in total, which seems unattainable sometimes until I read of people who have lost loads more than that % in a relatively short time. Think I’d look very odd much under 160 lbs but tbh, never been there, so who knows? It’s great to hear about people who are determined enough to smash their own barriers, mental and physical. Keep going, you’re all amazing. MK x

on

Hello everyone, just finished week 1 of this years diet and lost 2lbs – technically only 6 days but I want to get back to Tuesday weigh in. I increased insulin from 22 to 24 units to help with Xmas stuff and put it back down to 23 last night as I have been running at around 4.2 in the morning and 3.5 just before dinner. This morning I was 5.4.

I am supposed to be at my French class today but we (me and hubby) are both full of cold AGAIN and I won’t be going swimming tomorrow. In fact, I am being very naughty and having a hot chocolate drink. It is Cadburys Lite so only about 25 calories plus milk but against my clean eating philosophy. Hey ho.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Today weigh in down 2 pounds for the week.
    Wow congrats to everyone who has lost or maintain their weigh so far. This thread has give me so much encouragement that I feel I will be able to reach my goal in 2017. It’s amazing how fast the 4 weeks are going by.
    Thanks again Verano for starting these 4 week threads.

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi Hazel

I think we must be twins! I started at 11st 2lb about 4 months ago, today I am 9st 9lb, with my target being around 9st 7lb. I seem to have maintained all Xmas at 9st 11lb, which I was pretty pleased with considering I wasn’t being ultra strict with what I ate. I did try to avoid the carbs, but had the occasional potato, choc, piece of stollen etc. This week I suddenly dropped the 2 lbs, I have been being a bit stricter, (Xmas goodies mostly eaten!), keeping around 1100 calories per day, carbs have been around 60-70g most days. I am trying to drink more water as I think that does make a difference, and I find it difficult to remember to do it.

You will get there. Are you still recording what you eat and drink? I would recommend being stricter for a week or two if you have started to slip a bit and drink more water.

Happy new year
    Marilyn

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello fellow BSDers. I have lost 4 lbs this week which takes me back to Boxing Day low (3.5 lbs off then due to gastric bug!). I am very pleased with the loss but have to confess that I haven’t met any of my goals. We booked a last minute holiday for next Monday, and will try to lose a bit more before that. I, for once, didn’t fear getting the holiday clothes out as I knew everything would fit or be too big. I don’t want to buy anything new just yet as I hope to be a couple of stones lower by our next holiday.
    Forever hopeful!
    X B

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Wonderful reading such enriching positivity here – feels so much better than a bag of chips. Did I really just say that?
    Well, after a mega-dodgy start where I blundered and blustered through wk 1 and half of wk 2, never quite getting back on track, I then gave myself a good talking to and have managed to lose 3.5lbs this week.
    That’s down to you guys so thank you for inspiring me to get back on track. Still a bit more to go to regain my pre-festive season weight (oh yes-I did gorge myself silly) but I know I’ll get there in the next week or two.
    Happy happy x

• posted by raintoday
    on

Good morning all – I weighed in yesterday and still at 162# – so maintaining but not losing. So, spent some extra time at the gym and will return today. Took another look at diet and tightened up – portion size is my downfall – I have a great ability to rationalize “well, it’s good fats / proteins / clean food so I can eat more” ….. however, I still have 12# to lose – been reading other experiences w/ getting close to goal – I can already hear my head “hey, you feel so much better- people say that I look better – maybe you’ve done enough”. Reminding myself that I really do want to give a fair, thorough shot at reversal of this diabetes and that will take more work.
    I get lab done this week so will get a reading on the A1c – still aiming for being right smack in the middle of the 5% range.
    Clothes ! huge reinforcer for staying on this program ! I vote to give the clothes to charity shops as altering is pretty pricey – more than replacement, at least around here. I have gone from bursting out of sz 16 relaxed fit to somewhat loose sz 14 regular fit and tops are fitting as I like them to – comfortable and buttoning around front with room to move.
    Relationship w/ eating has shifted – used to think I ‘listened’ to my body and what I (thought) I needed – if I am wanting to eat these days – I usually check in and ask ‘am I hungry or do I just want to eat because I’m anxious, restless, driving (long commute)’ Doesn’t always work – I like to nosh – but keep it to nuts – those calories add up fast !
    More water, more exercise, more accurate portions – onward and downward ! Reading all your posts has been so much support !

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Marilyn I can’t believe how similar our stories are! You are right though I do need a couple of weeks of being strict. Have started drinking more fruit tea as can’t seem to find the enthusiasm to drink as much water in the colder weather. I will also go back to proper calorie logging. We are so close, just need to keep on track.

• posted by Verano
    on

It’s so good to see the stalwarts here reporting every week. It’s even better to see the weight losses!

I don’t know where I’d be without this thread …. probably back to where I was when I started!

Jules I know you have posted in the past about having an oat based breakfast occasionally when you hit a plateau. I really think that’s great thinking. I do think the body needs a ‘shake up’ or shock now and again to get it going. Apart from anything I do miss my porridge in the mornings!

I’m so impressed with all the losses. Getting back on track immediately after a festive ‘blowout’ is definitely the right thing to do. Think we’re proving that here.

For those in the UK, tonight C4 8pm ‘How to Diet well’ Dr Xand van Tulleken, who has a series this week in the Daily Mail, of a compilation of the best bits of lots of diets cobbled together. I’m still happy with BSD!!! May be worth a watch.

As sunshine-girl would say ‘ let’s keep on keeping on’ !!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Flicking through Dr Xand’s book in Tesco’s, before I finally went and bought the BSD book instead, they actually seem very similar, he works on a similar sort of three levels, where you start on one meal a day of 800 calories, or one of 600 plus a 200 snack, then add another meal if you want to slow it down, have a non fast day, and finally to maintenance of three meals a day. Same foods and cautions as well, it almost seems like diets are getting closer to each other, at least the ones that work are.

• posted by Inka13
    on

I have also had some losses this week, have stuck religiously to the plan and what do you know?? 3 pounds down this week so far! Why oh why do I let myself slip when it’s obvious how well it works?? Keeping strong now though, I feel like I have my BSD mojo back, must just get through birthday weekend!
    Lovely to read all your posts as always, keeps me going, my carb addiction has been replaced by a forum addiction I think!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning/evening! Wow! So many big losers on here – excellently well done one and all. Losing weight takes a lot of hard work and focus everyone on here is to be congratulated.

Woo hoo, I weighed in slightly under my pre Christmas weight this morning (happy face) so am losing well. After about the first 7-10days on BSD I felt so awful I seriously wondered how on earth I was going to manage on 800 cals a day, I now know what I was experiencing was most likely carb ‘flu. Now, every day I have to double check my food log because I feel as if I am eating WAY too much, but still it tells me I’m averaging around 800 cals per day (or a smidge over). The scales seem to concur!

Here’s wishing everyone a happy and successful BSD Wednesday.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.I’m having a good day. I have managed to do some form of movement, not really exercise, every day.I have missed breakfast for 2 days and tightened up my portions and success . I’m down below 84Kg and best of all my sugar was 5.5 today the best since Christmas. Thanks to everyone for the posts.It definitely helps to gather ideas and tips from everyone.
    All the discussion of clothes and charity shops sent me to trying things on and sorting the wardrobe. I have not kept anything that’s too loose. I also saw on a TV program that de cluttering helps to loose weight as it lightens your burdens and simplifies life. So I have been ruthless in donating excess sheets towels etc I had collected multiple sets of linen that I haven’t used in over a year and I did not keep stuff for” just in case” and truthfully , I feel great,on top of my life and in control of what I eat. I wonder how long it will last. Ill let you know. Best wishes to you all.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 16 of 28

Good morning/evening

Good to see how well everyone is doing. I’ve been standing still for 4 days now so I think its time to start weighing and logging again! It’s amazing how easy it is to lose the habit but I will get back to it today.

Talking about charity shops ..again… I have dress that needs shortening but I’m just not sure if it’s worth doing. It’s a clingy material but is slightly gathered under the bust. I guess to accommodate a bigger tummy, which I don’t have now! Can I ask you mixnmatch if it’s worth straightening the hem , which dips quite a bit in the front or should I just dump it!!!

Anyway, hope you all have a good day.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Dump it Verona, in my experience clothes that are too big are too big all over, so the odd nip and tuck just show up some other droopy bit.
    Dump it. Dump it. You know you want to. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi everyone!

What an interesting week it has been. Last week I reported that I had started my first fast after reading Dr Jason Fung’s complete guide to fasting. Well my first fast lasted 4 and a half days! The only reason it ended was that I got to Saturday night and just wanted to end the boredom of not eating! That’s right, absolutely no physical reason not to continue, just boredom! That experience has taught me so much about my relationship with food. Some things I’ve learned:
    – I now know that I’ve never really experienced “hunger” – not eating 13 meals in a row did not not make me feel hungry!
    – Tummy grumbles are not hunger – drinking a glass of water or tea makes them go away!
    – What I previously called “hunger” is all in the mind – the body is more than capable of surviving on stored fat. But the mind is powerful.
    – Meal times are just artificial societal norms – there is usually absolutely no physical need to eat at these designated times
    – We are continuously bombarded with advertising all urging us to eat, eat, eat – It’s no wonder we’ve become such mindless consumers. I found all the messaging increasingly repulsive. It’s frightening how much conditioning we are subject to every day
    – Eating is an incredibly pleasurable experience – I need to slow down and learn to savour every mouthful. Mindful eating is key

So now the stats – at my weigh in I was down 1.4kgs for the week, taking me to 69.8kgs (sub 70 – whoop! whoop!). I know some of that was the water weight from clearing out my glycogen stores, but very happy with the result. My blood sugars were beautifully stable all week. I ate normal BSD style on Sunday and saw a small regain overnight. I decided to fast again from after Sunday night dinner and I’ve now completed 3 days this week. I find it much easier to fast during the day while I’m active at work. The mental games are harder to resist in the evenings! I’m taking this week day by day, but have decided to end this round by Friday night at the latest.

Stay strong everyone!

• posted by Inka13
    on

Lara that is amazing!! I can’t fathom being able to do that myself, and yet.. You made it sound so doable and I found everything you experienced so interesting, talk about food for thought!!
    Definitely our mindset is more powerful than most of us know and advetising and social pressure so insidious, but now every time I feel a hunger pang ( less these days to be sure) I will think of you! And resist! And drink another glass of water!
    I look forward to hearing your next update, best wishes!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lara

An amazing achievement. I am left wondering how healthy it is to fast for so long. I assume ‘fasting’ means no solid food but plenty of water??

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Bissell

I think you could be right! It probably will never fit properly.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m here again! What a strange thing the human body is?
    Yesterday I weighed in 4 lbs down for the week and today ( I weigh daily but only record weekly) I have lost another 3.5 lbs which means I have at last passed the 2 stone barrier! I wonder if the sudden weight loss is due to lowering my steroid dose? I am down to alternate days 1 and two mgs with no symptoms of PMR and did gain two stone over the past year, and hope to stop the horrible Predenisolone before the spring.
    X B

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi Inka13 – if you’d told me 13 weeks ago pre BSD that I’d be completing a 4 day fast it would have been inconceivable! And in many ways I don’t think I would have been in a physical or mental state to do it back then. 12 weeks on the BSD has re-programmed my body away from carb dependance for fuelling my body and made me realise you can happily live on 800 calories while losing weight ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Verano – I’ve been reading a lot on fasting and there are some incredible reported health benefits associated with regular fasting, including lowering blood pressure (and I can confirm my resting heart rate has lowered in just a few days), improving insulin sensitivity, and lowering cholesterol among others. I felt no ill effects and was able to go about my normal daily routine at work and home (including my 10000 steps a day) with no issues. There was no brain fog or lethargy, which is what I would have expected. Biologically it makes sense that our bodies are designed to survive both feast and famine – we would not have survived as a species if we couldn’t store body fat during the good times and live off that stored fat when food was not available for long periods. Unfortunately in our modern lives we have taken the feasting to an extreme level and lost the balance we need from the periods of fasting we’re designed to sustain. People fast for many reasons, for differing periods and with differing levels of restriction. I drank lots of water, mineral water, green tea & coffee. I also had a cup of clear home made broth in the evenings, so many would not consider that a true fast but it’s within the guidelines that Dr Fung suggests and the calorie impact is negligible.

For anyone interested in learning more try Dr Fung’s website which includes a wealth of information
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/longer-fasting-regimens-part-7/ – includes reference to MMs 5:2 diet

on

Hi all, I weighed in yesterday as I am a usually Tuesday weigher but I didn’t start the relaunch until Wednesday, so today is one full week. I can report I have now lost 4lbs in one week. I set myself a goal of 4.5 lbs (my Christmas gains) in 2 weeks so have another week to lose half a pound, obviously that is not the aim now. Want to lose 11.5 lbs before my next holiday at Easter which will take me to a nice round figure of 11 stone, excuse the pun ’round figure’, yes I am still barrel shaped.

Once again, after a loss my BG dips up and today was 6.4 but I did reduce my insulin 2 nights ago so my body is probably adjusting to that. I also think I am eating too much cheese. I have it rarely but brought a load of full fat Cheddar back from the UK and have been having it as my night time snack. It has to stop, full fat is good but to often is not. I need to portion it out and stick it in the freezer.

Still full of cold and not exercising, I am allowing myself to wallow but keeping my brain active with 3 study courses I am doing.

Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lara

Very interesting reading. I’m really pleased that fasting seems to be suiting you and it does seem to have benefits. However, I do feel that a caveat is needed here, especially as sometimes people try things without enough background research.

I got to Fasting 7 before, in Bold Type, it says that anybody taking any medication should only fast with medical supervision. Furthermore, it does say that medication for diabetes should be adjusted on any fasting day. Dr Fung also says that fasting is ok if you feel hungry but you should stop if you feel sick.

So I guess that anybody with diabetes, and there are lots of us on these threads, should be extra careful about fasting without supervision.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

Hope the cold goes soon. Great loss for one week and now you know how your BG goes up and down I suppose it’s easier to deal with.

Have now signed up for Duolingo! It seems to be a fun way of learning and it’s great to use on the go. Thanks for the recommendation.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Lara, your fasting accomplishments are amazing. I have been doing 5:2 since Dr MM’s TV programme on fasting first aired in 2012 (I believe) and have no plan to ever stop. I came to enjoy that empty feeling I previously considered hunger. Unfortunately the overeating on my ‘5’ days, changes in my medication and giving up artificial sweeteners (and therefore increasing sugar) eventually caught up with me and I started to gain weight, much of it visceral fat. I’ve been doing BSD for about 10 weeks and still love that growly tummy feeling. I’m not sure I could ever fast for more than a day though due to medications and so on. (Well pointed out Verano).

On a less serious note, we are having incredibly high winds in the UK today and in the region where I live wind speeds over 90 miles an hour have been recorded. Did that stop me walking to the shops for berries and veg? Diditeckaslike (a clue to my region). And what exactly did I learn from my foolhardy expedition? Less weight = less resistance -doh! There were points walking to the shop into the wind that I literally had to stop, and a couple of times I almost got blown off my feet! With the wind at my back walking home was much faster, I just had to make sure I wasn’t blown into the road! I arrived home safely,though dizzy, a bit traumatised and looking like a scarecrow ๐Ÿ˜€

Lunch time now… asparagus, eggs and spinach for me.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi hope you are all good

I’m afraid I won’t be here for the next few days so maybe somebody else could take over this thread. I know there are a few very regular posters like Krysia, sunshine-girl and Daisiesmum plus probably others. Would be a shame to let it lapse!

Good luck everyone see you in a few days.

• posted by Cara54
    on

HI everyone

I’ve been catching up with all the posts and everyone is doing amazingly well. I managed to do a 22.5 hour fast from dinner time Monday till dinner time Tuesday. Now doing another one approximately 19 hours until tomorrow lunch time. I find it quite easy to do that length of time but I’m breaking myself in gently. For anyone taking medication it would be best to get advice from a sympathetic doctor. As far as I am aware I’m not diabetic but I’m sure that too much sugar is at the heart of my history of weight gain/loss.

Tonight at dinner a colleague had a waffle with ice cream and chocolate sauce. I sat with her while she was eating it and it didn’t bother me at all. That is progress!!!!!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Good going, Butterlover x

Please log in or register to post a reply.