4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Verano, as a trained dressmaker, I too would advise new rather than altered. It’s not impossible, but altering tops can be very difficult and expensive because it’s almost like making from scratch, ditto dresses. I would only suggest it if it’s a garment you adore, and even then wait until your weight has settled. Just my two cents worth πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Daisiesmum, at least with the skirt it was just two invisible tucks at the waistband. I can only imagine how difficult it would be with a top, or trousers for that matter. I made a pair of very simple cotton cropped trousers once when I was a teenager (mint green and white vertical stripes, oh how my tastes have changed) but remember what an absolute pain they were.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Bissell and Mixnmatch.

I can do minor alterations myself but the top needs shoulders raising, darts making and shortening …. almost remaking!!! I had Krysia’s experience in mind when I tried the outfit on. She has said about the number of people commenting on how much weight she’s lost since Christmas but it’s just because she’s dumped the baggy stuff. I must admit I do feel a bit like a bag lady with the ‘baggy’ top and trousers, which also need taking up! You know maybe life’s too short and it will probably still look awful …. shame because it’s a lovely pale khaki green colour which looks great with a tan!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Daisiesmum I’ve just seen your post! You have made my mind up for me. Looks like the charity bag is calling!!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have a big pile left of clothes that I tried on and were too big for me, but I kept because I wanted to see if they would ‘do’. I think i am going to have to try them all on again with a more critical eye and send the vast majority of them with the next few bags going to the charity shops. I think only some of the raincoats may get a reprieve, on the grounds that it is just more room for jumpers, and if it is raining that hard no-one will notice.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Mixnmatch or anyone else who have lost enough weight. How much weight did you have to lose before you noticed that you really had to donate them? Even when I have lost around 22 pounds in the past I still could wear the same size clothes. I’m short 5′ 1.5″ so I don’t know if that made a difference. Plus my weight is all over, not in one stop only. I need to lose around 80 pounds.
    Thanks…..

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I made the drop from size 22 going on 24 to about size 18 without any problems other than a sudden awareness that I had to start wearing belts or my trousers would fall down. At that point I had started buying a few new items, although usually in sales, or from charity shops, and putting any that didn’t fit yet into my box of the future. I think it was size 14 jeans day, one of my biggest mini-goals when I started, when I first did a big clear out, trying everything on and just keeping those that didn’t look ridiculous. I still needed work clothes. I still have the odd polo neck that is size 22, but that was very stretchy, now it just drapes a bit. Likewise I still have a couple of XL tee shirts, but can get away with those being baggy.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I find that a lot of my tops are actually fitting instead of gaping at the bust button or squeezing my boobs so I have a double boob, also helps that my bras fit better too.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi happyitsworking

Your question is a bit like ‘how long is a piece of string’? I have lost 30lbs and have about 10 lose to get back to my ‘old’ normal weight. Then I have to start on the many more pounds if you see what I mean!!! Some of my clothes that looked ok but a bit skimpy now look really nice, others are still a bit skimpy and some that I bought when my weight was at it’s height are just too big. I think its a case of every now and again just go through your wardrobe and try stuff on.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Size 18 was June this year, I think I had lost about 4 1/2 stone at that point, will tell you exactly when I get back to my spreadsheet 😊 size 14 was September if I remember correctly and at six stone off. It was all rather sudden compared to my earlier diet experiences.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

For me, I go down a dress size for each stone lost. When my uniform skirt started to slip down yo my hips I did take it in (said skirts are expensive!) until I just couldn’t wear it anymore. The matching jacket had the buttons moved across until they couldn’t be moved anymore. The new uniform I bought in August is now on the bug side, but will have to do for now.

Trousers have been my major problem. Too big, straight to the charity shop. Skirts can be more easily altered (I have a few waiting to be taken in (and possibly shortened). Tops mainly go straight to the charity shops – too much hassle to alter, and they don’t look right afterwards.

Only being 5′ 1″ I easily look ‘swamped’ in baggy clothes so have to be careful.

Most of my coats are big but, still this time of year, that leaves lots of room for layers.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

I always get really excited hearing stories about dropping clothes sizes. It is such a positive experience and I love it more than just losing weight. Even comfortably wearing something that used to be too snug is a bonus and such a pick-me-up on a grey day.

Daisiesmum, as a trained dress-maker, I wonder if you could give me some advice. I have. A gorgeous leather pencil skirt that I wore over 30years ago. It is now a little too big, and it has a slight tear below the back fastening zip, so I was wondering is it salvageable? How easy is it to repair/alter a leather skirt? Will it be possible to just take it in along the back seam (in order to remove the tear)? Not sure if you are able to advise. Thank you.

Tea-related – anyone tried liquorice and fennel by Tea Pigs. Stupidly expensive I know, but well worth it for a tasty treat. And if you are a tea-bag-slag like me, you can always re-use the tea bag again. I know! How common!!!! X

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Ooooh – and Verano. Forgot to say – definitely donate all the bigger clothes to charity and treat yourself.
    You deserve it! X

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Hi everyone. Just about to finish my first week. Started well then my son came home with his girlfriend so that meant meal preparation and cooking was a challenge. They’re going home tomorrow so hope to get stuck into the programme.
    I read some posts about ginger. I’ve found frozen cubes of ginger in Tesco ( along side Asian food) . Really good for adding to cooking. I use fresh for my morning half apple and half pear juice which I have every day. I always add an inch of fresh ginger, tsp of ground flaxseeds and tsp lecithin. Sometimes use other fruit or berries. But stay from exotic sweet fruit. I find this juice every morning helps to keep colds away.
    I notice on BSD website there is a a 12 week plan starting on Monday. Has anyone followed this? Is it a good idea to join?? Thanks for your inspirational posts. X

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Oimadam, leather is easier to work with than you might imagine. If you are taking it in down the seam with the zip just proceed as you would with fabric (using stronger thread and longer stitches). You have two options for sewing 1) Sew on the machine as you would with fabric or, 2) make guide holes by sewing on a machine with no thread and then handsew using the holes created by the machine. If the seam won’t lie flat afterwards it’s advisable to use a thin layer of glue to stick it in place. If I was doing it I would probably go for method 1 for the seam and method 2 to replace the zip. Hope that helps.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Even more things I know nothing about ;).

I had my first fitting for my new suit this morning and the chap said that, as I was aiming to lose another couple of stone he would put “floating” ( he may have said “flying”) darts into the suit. I just nodded appreciatively.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Daisysmum – Thank you so much for the great advice. X

on

My daughter works for a famous chocolate manufacturer and when we go see her my husband heads straight for the staff shop where you can get a bar of chocolate for 10p or a cream egg for 10p or 10 for 50p. You get what I mean, some seconds, some getting close to sell by date etc. He comes home with about Β£20 of chocolate. I doesn’t bother me as I don’t have a sweet tooth but I am human and can be tempted, try to stick with my 85% square of dark chocolate now and then.

Tonight the idiot (sorry but he is, read on…) said, wouldn’t it be nice if we put out a selection of chocolate in a nice bonbon dish so we could just pick as we want instead of having to go and get them from the cupboard. I’ll let you know when he gets up off the floor. Bloody men. Or should I say bloody non diabetic men.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Looks like the online 12 week course costs a lot! Think I’ll stick with the forum!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Wise choice!

• posted by Frog
    on

the moving down the clothes scale threads remind me of a thread (or multiple ones) about the “perfect window” for jeans.
    I don’t really wear skirts – I’ve found the best way to keep in trousers for a longish time is elasticated waists – never had them when in large sizes, but I’ve found them a great option moving down through 16s and 14s.
    And I’ve discovered jeggings and very stretchy jeans for casual wear.

Frozen ginger – sounds excellent.
    I made my own batch in the summer because I didn’t use it that often, but currently having it every day – initially for my cold, but supposed to be great for digestion too, so I’m planning to continue with it. On one hand, using fresh would be OK if I’m using a lot, but grabbing a cube from the freezer is sooo easy – I’m not that organised in the morning!
    Looking at the website, it’s cheaper than fresh ginger, and no additives, so I will look for it next time I go in a big tescos.
    On shopping, I don’t have them often now, but switched to using ‘snap pots’ of baked beans, as only 2 portions in a pot instead of a huge tin. Waitrose have them at half price at the moment, including the low sugar variety.

Sunshine Girl – I am so glad I don’t have anyone else bringing food into the house – could not cope with a fridge full of chocolate. That’s not to say I don’t have the occasional un-bsd binge, but I do only have myself to blame!

on

thank you everyone for getting back to me on dropping clothing sizes. I can’t wait until I start dropping sizes too.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 … WEEK 2

Good morning/evening

I have made a decision to send my now ‘oversized’ clothes to a charity shop. There’s no point in making them smaller as they will never fit properly and I won’t be needing them again as they are ! So even though some are unworn they have to go.

I think I’ve discovered why green tea aids weight loss …. it’s so foul it stops you eating!! Think may try a ginger infusion instead.

Just two days of this week left and then we’re half way through this 4 week fix. If you’re still struggling to get back on track maybe reading a few chapters of the book again might help motivation or for those with pre/diabetes try and watch the Panorama program on Diabetes screened on 3rd October 2016, which I’m sure is available for 12 months from that date.

For those maintaining or losing … great!

Have a good day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – great decision regarding the clothes. The charity shop will be really pleased to get the clothes – especially the unworn ones.

I have just discovered frozen ginger at Tesco and it is brilliant – so easy to use. Plus frozen garlic, coriander, mixed herbs and also lemon zest (disclaimer – no I don’t work for TescoπŸ˜€)

Sunshine-girl – obviously your husband thinks you are Wonder Woman and would not be in the least tempted by a selection of non BSD chocolate displayed in a bonbon dish.

Clients in my last class on Saturday have known me for many years and have seen all my previous weight losses (and gains). The new non baggy clothes triggered quite a discussion and they commented that I have never lost the weight around my middle before even when I had lost weight in other areas. They said that they have absolutely never ever seen me with a small waist before.

Thinking about it – they are so right. Even though I have lost weight before it has never gone from my middle. I was still restricted to buying clothes that his the rolls of fat around my middle. So pleased that I have found the BSD as it is the only way of eating that works for me and has got rid of the visceral fat. They also said that they have never seen me look so well in all the years they have known me. Another plus for the BSD.

on

Frog / Krysia I dont even like chocolate much except my 85% very dark which I have one square per day after dinner but it is my hand that just dips when it shouldn’t. We went to Portugal with the family last year and my daughter emptied a big bag of Haribo sweets into a bowl and left them on the sideboard and I reckon I ate at least 3 or 4 a day and that can add up.

I had a bad night last night and drank about 3 glasses of wine and it showed on the scales this morning knocking off the half pound I had lost the day before. I had an upsetting conversation with my best friend and we had a disagreement, that was around 11pm on Skype so I should have just gone to bed but I cried a lot and turned to the wine. Silly girl that I am.

Anyway, I might not have a best friend anymore but I still have to think about my health instead of wallowing. BG 88 (4.8) and weight still down 1.75 lbs.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

sunshine-girl……I have just spit my cuppa out laughing about your husbands comments.

on

He is such a snob, bob bon dish indeed

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Could be worse, he could have said “bonbonniere” – very Hyacinth.

As an aside, I tried the kalettes today, raw they were OK, cooked I think I prefer kale or sprouts.

on

As an aside (to quote Jules) I have sorted things out with my best friend and everything is okay.

• posted by Verano
    on

I also tried kalettes yesterday but I steamed then lightly and then stir fried with garlic, chilli, ginger and a touch of soy and I must admit I liked them. They had a sweetish slightly nutty flavour. In saying that I think the humble sprout makes a better ‘steamed’ vegetable.

Sunshine-girl best friends are very rarely disappear after just one falling out! Glad you’ve sorted things though.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Sunshine Girl, your OH’s suggestion made me laugh out loud. Can’t be bothered to walk to the kitchen for a creme egg….? . Maybe you should suggest he changes the name to mal-mal dish ….

• posted by tigs
    on

Well hi ho back to work today! I am welcoming meal routine though and looking forward to moving again towards my goal. I have maintained my weight from the day I finished pre Christmas to now, so that feels like a victory.

Was inspired by you Verano and started a wardrobe edit yesterday. Very big job as a good sized walk in space meant years of not facing the challenge. Well done you on sorting and culling!

Have a great week all xx

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 7 …. WEEK 2

Good morning /evening

Last day of the second week and I’m wondering where on earth that time has gone! Anyway, hope everyone is back into some sort of routine now. I always think it’s sometimes harder to restart after a break than it is at the very beginning of a new plan.

Tigs you give me too much credit I only sorted out a handful of things but it has spurred me on to look at the rest now! I have a shelf full of past/future clothes, all too small at the moment, which I think I’ll also go through and maybe pick out one item to aim for. May also keep one baggy piece to remind me where I’ve come from!

My new futurelearn courses have arrived in my inbox today. The Science of Nutrition looks really interesting. It starts by asking ‘Why do we eat and what do we eat?’ Mmmm really looking forward to this. The other one is Beginners Spanish 1 which I thought might be a good refresher course as I did an OU course many years ago. Really excited about having something else to keep me away from the fridge.

Anyway, hope you all have a good DAY 14.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all

I hope we are all well this Monday morning! Working in HR I have already had phone calls from employees who are sick and won’t be in. It strikes me that I have managed to stay remarkably healthy when all around me have been coughing, spluttering and sneezing their way through the day – long may it continue!

I have a tiny wardrobe which focuses my mind on sorting on a regular basis! I have everything in there from a Size 8 to a 16 – my weight loss (and gain) story for the last 20 years. This weekend, everything but the 8’s and 10’s came out and went in the loft. The reason it hasn’t gone to the charity shop is that I have a female partner who has taken a shine to some things and, as she loses weight also, would quite like to be able to wear them when they fit her! So they stay…for now πŸ™‚

Have a good day all, official 4 week fix weigh in tomorrow!
    TC

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Now you come to mention it TOPCAC I haven’t had a single hint of a virusy type thing since BSD either! I believe all the good fats as well as being very nutritious in themselves also help certain other nutrients work more efficiently – another tick in the LCHF favour!

I am completely unfamiliar with weight loss systems that don’t slow down to a snails pace as you make your final approach to goal weight. As I am rapidly approaching mine I am having to think about maintenance very carefully as I don’t want to get too thin (ooo, hark at ‘er πŸ™‚ ) I did it once (long, long ago) and I looked revolting! A whole new adventure lies ahead, one I am greatly looking forward to. I think I will continue to keep a food diary, at least for a time, as it keeps me accountable.

Happy BSD Monday everyone!

on

Birthday girl today and thrilled to receive a lovely jacket from my OH that i’ve had my eye on for a while. It’s from Long Tall Sally, lovely clothes for us tall girls, but pricey.
    It fits perfectly now, but having a bit of a tussle with myself about whether to go one size smaller – acid test – how confident am I that the last stone will come off and stay off? Still in stock… Advice ? MK

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Happy Birthday Maharani kitten. Hope you have a lovely day

on

Hi everyone, yes I let myself down again over the weekend. I must learn to control myself. First I had a bad disagreement with my best friend which sent me to the wine, just a couple or 3 glasses. Then on Sunday I said what the hell and poured myself a vodka and tonic. Hubby was having red wine with our steaks so I had a couple of those too. That is really my only downfall, I do like a glass or two of wine.

Anyway it is in the past now and I have still lost weight though not as much as I could have. My weigh in is tomorrow so I am being super good today. My BG is back down to 4.3 and I will be dropping the insulin back down to the pre Christmas level of 22 units – I put it up to 24 just to counter the odd naughtiness.

Verano, I think we are very much on the same track. I too am doing the Science of Nutrition and I am learning Spanish in time for a trip to Alicante at Easter. I only want to be able to be polite and ask for a table in a restaurant so I am doing Duolingo. I still use this for a daily French lesson which takes around 10 mins but just acts as a reminder of things like spelling or where the accents go or is it masculine or feminine, then of course I do the advanced French class every Tuesday at a local college. I am retired and in winter there is very little to do here in rural France and it is too cold to be gardening and the ground is solid, so I spend my mornings shopping and exercising and my afternoons at college or at the computer learning something new.

Have a good day everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maharani kitten – in August I was 10 stone 7lbs and absolutely not confident that I would lose another stone so bought some lovely jeans and tops that fitted perfectly. The tops are now all at the charity shop – they were very pleased with the unworn clothes. Luckily a dressmaker was able to take the jeans in.

I never ever thought I would go down to 9 stone 6lbs – which is why I didn’t buy smaller sizes -but the BSD is not like any other way of eating as it really does work. So – I really wish I had bought the smaller size in the first place.

on

the diet is in the Sunday Express yesterday, mainly talking about Fixing Dad but with mention of Prof Taylor and a short piece by DrM. The word is spreading.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All, Happy Birthday Maharani Kitten. hope you have fun. I’m feeling good today, I have eaten too much but its all BSD friendly. ‘Im focused on my behavioral goals and I have managed to exercise for the last 3 days which is a first for me.It seems like every day I learn more about food and calories and carbs and just when I think that I have it mastered I over eat. fasting sugar is still too high but after today’s walk it was down.I lost.4 KG last week so its not much but at least its a start.I’m surprised to see all the new posts it seems like the secret is out and everyone is taking action.lets all keep it up, as we know it does work. cheers

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi Maharani

I had the same problem as Krysia – totally unworn suit currently sitting at home, a size too big, only bought it end of November. Bite the bullet!

• posted by tigs
    on

Happy Birthday Maharani kitten, hope your day has continued to be ab fab! The jacket sounds gorgeous given one you love. I too would swap for the smaller size. I bought pants recently, that I loved, and figured I would lose the weight to fit and sure enough, they are perfect now. In fact they are going to be too big soon, way this programme works. If you are on a mission to lose that stone then you will and a stone represents a size smaller, more or less. xx

on

Thanks for the good wishes and advice re jacket. Have tried it on again with better bra and slimming slip and if I’m honest, it’s slightly roomy with a thinner jumper – although it looks great. I do really love it, perfect for Spring and Autumn, or milder winter days, smart, but looks great with jeans.
    So am going to keep it, in case it goes out of stock, (this is always happening with LTS), send for a smaller size and compare then decide.
    I’m like the little engine that could at the moment – I think I can, I think I can…. It feels almost scary to believe I can truly be the slimmest I’ve been as an adult – and feel so healthy. I’ve never been this shape, either. I have a thigh gap. My stomach is flat. I have a waist! I’ve never had a waist! What a lovely birthday present! MKx

• posted by Bissell
    on

Happy birthday and yes, send for the smaller and then buy that one!

on

Maharani Kitten: Happy Birthday………..

on

Happy birthday MK, my turn in 5 weeks

Anyone who has been on this site for a while will know that I had a mini goal of throwing out some scruffy knickers. Well when I reached a certain weight out went 3 pairs. Reading your stories of clothes no longer fitting because they are too big, I bought a 5 pack of panties from Sainsburys (I can call them panties now as they are not big knicks) and picked up a size 14. On reflection I decided to take them back and get size 12. All well and good, got them home and they are too big but in this cold weather they will keep my midriff warm as well as the other bits.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Happy birthday, and definitely order the smaller jacket MK, I have sent far too many barely worn clothes to the charity shop.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Happy Birthday MK, I hope you are having a fabulous day. Sounds like you’ve come up with a plan regarding the jacket! I have an interesting side-effect in that being petite I can now shop in the children’s department (age 13/14 clothes)! There is actually VERY few things suitable for grown ups to wear because they tend to make kid’s clothing out of much thinner fabrics, but it’s amusing to think I could if I really wanted to πŸ™‚

Do any other ladies have the phenomenon with tights that are now so roomy you can tuck them into your bra band? He he!

• posted by Verano
    on

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you’re having a great day MaharaniπŸŽΆπŸŽΆπŸŽΆπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘

Please log in or register to post a reply.