4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone

As promised a new 4 week challenge! Starting next week when, hopefully, everyone will have had a great Christmas, without too many over indulgences!

But if you did have that extra mince pie or chocolate or two, other than Lindt 90%!!, no worries because we now have 4 weeks to ‘fix’ all those extra pounds.

The ‘Strictly’ challenge that took us up to Christmas was so successful, mainly because we all kept posting, so we now need that same resolve and determination to get us into the New Year and beyond.

Early New Year’s resolutions please!! Make them realistic but challenging.

I’ll start with ……I’ll tell you next Tuesday!!!! See you next week and in the meantime ENJOY!!!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Verano

Count me in for the “reto de invierno”.

New Years resolutions
    * Six million Fitbit steps in 2017 (16500 per day on average – ooh!)
    * Start HITting the gym a bit more regularly
    * Get BS, BP and Cholesterol well into normal
    * Get to 100lb off by my birthday in June and come up with an approach to maintenance that includes porridge (my weakness)
    * Still after improving the dance moves (low likelihood!)

Will confirm start weight on Tuesday

Have a good Christmas everybody.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Well done Verano, losing weight on holiday, bet you do feel good.

Count me in for the ‘4 week fix’ please. See you on the other side!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Jules like your style … “pero el retro es para cuatro semanas solo”!!!!

Very impressed with your resolutions!!!

Welcome aboard Trelawny hope you two are just the first of many!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m in too Verona. Coping alright with the family holiday and keeping off the white stuff whilst having a few more calories and the odd glass of fizz. I will be happy to stay about the same weight will meet up with you all on 27th, though I can’t see me starting the big push until after the New Year when the family go back home.
    Love to all BSD er’s and a Happy Christmas to everyone.
    X B

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am with family and already eaten out 3 times and managed to lose 2 lbs so I am doing well. I keep making lunches of courgettii and chicken while others are tucking into pork pies and mince pies. still plenty of time for some treats but I dont even know what I fancy anymore. Maybe a drink tonight when all the family are out for a meal as I have volunteered to stay home and wait for the shopping to arrive.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

I’m in Verano.
    Will keep on keeping on over the hols as I don’t want to have to shift pounds again that I’ve already shed.
    New Year’s resolutions will include specific exercise targets, thinking about those now.
    Exercise sessions are the first thing to get ditched when I get busy.
    Have just naughtily had some salted roast almonds from Lidl. I have one small tin, and when they’re gone, they’re gone….. I’m such a naughty! Lol.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

I’m in Verano! I developed a thing for 30 day challenges in 2016, great idea to kick the New Year off with a new challenge!

BSD is a way of life for me now (I’m hooked) so I ‘ll be looking to include some of the other wellbeing ideas in Dr Mosely’s book. Will post my intentions next week!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am in also Verona
    Goals for the 4 week fix are:
    Weight to stay between 9 stone 4lb and 9 stone 7lb. 9.4 is the floor and 9.7 is the ceiling.
    11K steps a day which includes an average of 45 active minutes logged by my Fitbit.
    50g or under of total carbs a day
    At least 25g of fibre a day
    Start HIT training on my static cycle to improve muscle strength plus more planks and press ups for arm muscles
    Stop doing sudokus when I should be doing my admin work, lesson plans or completing my case study for the qualification I am supposed to be working on at the moment (that might be the hardest one)

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’m in, although the first week is still in prime family party territory for me so like a mirror of my last four weeks, first week still maintenance, then three weeks to try to make my new target weight of 10 stone 8 pounds, giving me a little wiggle room so I can then try to maintain that until April for my 25th anniversary. The keto calculator is refusing to give me an 800 target at this body fat level, so I will be doing 4:3 and 1000 calories on the three days, 1400 on the 4 other days. Hopefully this will be enough to get me into fat burning if I keep under 50g carbs. If I don’t lose enough in the three weeks I will join in the next one as well 😊

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ll definitely be here. My NYR will include getting to my goal weight in 2017 using all the BSD principals (diet, exercise and mental health). I’ll have to think about what I want to achieve in the four weeks.

KrysiaD how do you plan to get 25g of fibre a day on 50g carbs? I’ve struggled with that. Were you able to do it while still on 800 calories?

• posted by New start2017
    on

I’m a newby to the BSD.
    Count me in for the 4 week fix.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie
    When I was doing the 800 my fibre intake was appallingly low. When I started getting closer to target I upped calories to between 1000 and 1200 – but fibre still appallingly low.

So to get more fibre into my diet I added Inulin powder which is full of non-soluable fibre. I started on 5g a day and gradually built up to 20g.

20g a day gives 17.6 Fibre 1.60 net carbs and only 42 calories. Pure Inulin Powder from chickory root is more pricy than Inulin FOS powder which is a lot cheaper but I found it gave me enormous amounts of wind – not ideal when you are trying to teach a pilates class so I prefer the pure inulin powder – a lot less explosive. Inulin definitely fits into the 800 calories easily.

I also use ground flax seeds, 20g a day gives you 5.4g fibre 0.38g net carbs. I add it to soup as a light lunch (or to Fage yoghurt or Kefir) so I think it could fit in to the 800.

I often have 10g of Chia Seeds. 3.8 fibre, 0.58 net carbs and 48 calories. Again that goes well in soup.

Flaxseeds and Chia Seeds have both soluble and insoluble fibre.

40g of Avocado gives you 2.6g fibre 0.82 net carbs and 64 calories – so it is quite surprisingly high in fibre.

Hope that is helpful.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi, yes count me in! After my holiday carb blowout it was such a relief to get back on the BSD, the scales showed a gain literally of 3 kilos in a week but after a few days of BSD it had dropped off, can only imagine it was massive water retention mainly!
    Thanks do much for starting this new thread, it will keep me on track over the next few days!
    Best wishes to everyone and a very merry Christmas!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Thanks KrysiaD that is helpful. I guess it’s a bit disappointing that you need to use an additive but it hard to get enough without it on 800 cals. I did buy some chia seeds but haven’t tried them yet, I’ll get onto putting them in my yoghurt (no soup in summer). I have a fibre supplement powder in the cupboard, Benefibre, but it’s made from wheat so I’m not sure about that one.

• posted by raintoday
    on

Signing on for this challenge ! I have been following the posts from the earlier “going out on a high….” and have enjoyed reading all the support. Been too swamped to do more than lurk . However – no big distractions after the 27th so I am in ! I have been doing a few days a week at about 770—> 900 cal/day over past 6 weeks – and have not been able to get to gym – I think that’s why I haven’t gained (currently 169 lbs – 12 stone 1 lb (?) ). Will think about my goals and jump in on the 27th. Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday of Your Choice, everyone ! Let’s do this !! And thank you for setting this up, Verano.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, I’d like to join in too please. I have managed to be on a ship for a minute 5 day cruisette with all inclusive drinks and am lighter than before I left so very pleased with that. (Only .6 of a pound but every little helps!) However, still got to survive 11 days on a ship in January with tons of food available so this challenge is just at the right time.

Resolutions: 1. Get to my previous best weight before the end of Jan- that’s losing 8lb

2. Get into the normal range by the end of march- that’s 20lb

3. Try to reduce my stress levels- I carry my own around with me

4. Avoid any kind of diagnosis! I had a pre diabetic hba1c resultand the doc is waiting to do another in march which I am determined will be in the normal range.

5. Keep running and dancing.

Think that’s quite enough!

Sue

• posted by topcac
    on

Yay!!! I’m in!! Thank goodness for you Verano 😊 Weighed in this morning just to keep me on track and another 1.5 pounds gone!!! So now my weight starts with an 8!!! So….NYR will include trying to figure out this whole maintenance thing, to start rowing( in the gym ) to keep up the swimming so that I don’t have to do the running which I hate! That’s all for now but I may have some more. Have a brilliant Christmas all 😘😊😘

• posted by Verano
    on

Great to see so many ‘Strictly’ travellers here and welcome to the newbies as well.

Have a good day!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie – a correction to my post – inulin is a soluble fibre not insoluble fibre. I am sure that -because the BSD is so healthy – we shouldn’t worry too much about fibre as long as we eat lots of non-starchy vegetables, seeds and some pulses.

I eat industrial amounts of kale and other green veggies and I love flaxseeds so I really don’t know whether upping my fibre intake with inulin has any benefit whatsoever so I might take upping my fibre off my list of goals for 27th December.

Rosebery- I bet you were the only person on your cruise to have left the ship lighter than they were when they stepped on it at the start of the cruise. Very well done.

I am finding also that the hba1c is proving to be a useful tool on the BSD. Knowing that to get a good hba1c I have to keep my b.s. in the healthy range all the time for months on end really keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Raintoday – great that you have maintained your weight. It sort of gives you an insight on what you need to do when you get to the maintenance stage of BSD.

I had the first of my Christmas food treats yesterday – a slice of superb stilton after our evening meal. It was lovely.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Topcac – just seen your post. Weight starting with an 8 – absolutely brilliant.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hello one and all

Definitely going to be joining you on the 27th though one last meal out on the 29th with my family all together then that’s it and back to normal. Ha BSD is now my normal how strange that those are the words that automatically come out of my mouth!

I was thinking about the last 7 months and what a big difference this woe has made to my health and weight it’s just amazing. I’ve still got another 3 stone to lose and there is the knee surgery in January but I am positive for the outcome in another 6 months I aim to be leaping around and hopefully at target. I think what it has taught me is that there isn’t an instant fix and it’s OK to do this gradually as this is life and it’s a good life!

Merry Christmas and a special hello to Frog and Lucia who have so made me smile this year.

• posted by LainieUK
    on

I’m in! I did so well on BSD up until I returned to working in October. Since then my food intake has increased, my clothes are tight and I don’t even know where my Fitbit is. I did 8 weeks of BSD ‘perfectly’ and it made me feel great. So now that I am settled into my job, I want to get back to being healthier. 4 weeks feels less daunting. I may start a couple of days late due to celebrations but I will be with you by 29th latest.

Elaine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Not been posting much because so busy, and now got the virus that’s flying around, so just found you again.

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy Christmas.

See you all soon.

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Yes yes yes please.
    I am in.
    CAN’T wait for the 27th.
    Have been off plan a month or so due to circumstances.
    Almost craving to get back in the zone.
    We are on our way to May.
    We will not fade away.
    We take it day by day.
    And then we scream Hooray!
    Tattiescone xx

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, might seem a bit sad posting today but my first present is that the scales have dipped below 160lb this morning AND are registering visceral fat as 9 rather than the 10 that they have been stuck at for weeks. Merry Christmas Everyone!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Happy Christmas everyone. Well done Rosebery – what a lovely Christmas present. Tattiescone – I loved your poem.

I had a lovely breakfast – topped my breakfast of Kefir, flaxseeds, Inulin and mascarpone cheese with 20g of clotted cream. Delicious and very indulgent.

As we are on our own this Christmas we have no bad carbs in the house. Although have just opened a present of two tins of Tesco finest biscuits! Have tucked them away at the back of a cupboard for when we have visitors to stay. They look luxurious and will be great to hand around.

Today I am doing very low carb but higher in fat and calories than usual. Looking forward to more of the clotted cream plus some lovely stilton cheese and Tesco finest roasted nuts. Not forgetting a piece of Lindt 90%.

So a really indulgent day – a Christmas present for my pancreas which is doing a heroic job of coping with the BSD with no injected insulin. 4.7 fasting b.s this morning – well done pancreas!!! My aim for Christmas and 2017 is to keep to low carb BSD to help my pancreas continue its recovery throughout 2017.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Merry Christmas everyone! I’m posting while I wait for my brother to tell the kids a bedtime story then leave (he’s the last guest) so I can crash into bed! So tired after a big day. And doing it all again tomorrow as it’s my father-in-laws birthday on Boxing Day and everyone comes back for a BBQ. The challenge will be getting back to BSD after that. Have to make sure all the bad leftovers are out of the house by the end of tomorrow.

on

Nothing bad to report but did try a mouthful of stuffing and found it too dry. The dessert is still in the fridge as no one seems to want any chocolate cake although the boys are sniffing round for snacks. Last night my daughter made me a turkey and sprout omelette. Happy days. Merry Christmas everyone

• posted by Avila
    on

I’m in.

Need a new start. Tomorrow I go to parents for a week – which will actually be good for the plan as mum has been asking about what I need so she doesn’t lead me astray, and I won’t have access to the things that just fall into my shopping basket, and too shamed to chain eat the biscuit packet. I fell off the wagon with winter blues but girding my loins for a fresh 8 weeks.

Aims –
    To get to parkrun as regularly as possible
    To do 10k steps a day
    To do 8 weeks at 800 cal, starting on 1 Jan (once I am back home and in charge of food)
    To lose 15 kg in 2017

oh and jump out of a plane…..

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi

I’d love to get into this challenge. I’m away from home at the moment. Heading back on Tuesday so will weigh in on my own scales on Wednesday morning and then decide on my weight loss target.

My plan is intermittent fasting. 16 – 20hrs, 2 or 3 days per week. More if I can manage. Also lots more walking and resistance training.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hello everyone, I’m in,
    My first goal is to continue on maintenance and for once in the history of my yo yo dieting life, not put back on all the weight that I have lost. (So far so good, started the BSD in April, reached goal in October and maintaining since then).

Secondly, to get more into a state of ketosis so that I am a fat burner rather than a sugar burner so that I won’t have to worry about the sugar cravings ever again. I’m pretty much there now, but I need to up my fat intake a bit more.

Christmas Day in sunny Sydney 🇦🇺 was a glorious 28 deg C day with lamb shoulder, pork belly, cold leg ham, coleslaw (with homemade mayonnaise) green salad with avocado, nuts and cheeses followed by fresh strawberries and double cream for dessert!😀

No one can say that this way of eating is not good for you or a trial. I’ve never been healthier👍

What did everyone else have?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Natalie
    on

Although I’m “starting” (re-starting) tomorrow I did my usual Monday morning weigh-in and was amazed to find I was 0.1kg down. I’ve been eating a few treats all week and then lots yesterday at Christmas so I thought I’d be up, but I seem to have achieved maintenance for the past five or six weeks. Today I’d planned to eat whatever I wanted (father-in-laws birthday BBQ) but that’s turned out to be not much. Bit of garlic bread, small piece of lemon cheesecake, but mostly meat and salad and didn’t overeat there either. It just doesn’t appeal. Yesterday was enough! Have a lovely Boxing Day and I’ll see you all tomorrow.

• posted by LinD49
    on

Well done Verano, another great plan! Yes, am up for next stage. Hope everyone coped with the festivities. Am just getting over second bout of the cough/cold bug doing the rounds. Food intake not too bad considering goodies available. Not keen on alcohol anyway but not much alternative, apart from water or black tea. Will weigh-in probably Thursday when I can use own scales. Aim to do 800 16/8 bsd. So different to last Christmas am eating more consciously. Tummy feels a lot happier now! Have fun!

• posted by Verano
    on

Morning everyone

Hope everyone is enjoying the festivities. We have a quiet day today with more ‘mayhem’ tomorrow!

I have been in charge of catering so have had plenty BSD friendly foods. Did succumb to Christmas pudding , two portions, with Cointreau cream!! But only one tiny roast potato and that was it, apart from the bubbly and red wine!! This morning I thought about not weighing, I do everyday, but I did and I’m exactly the same as yesterday so no damage done!

Even if you have overindulged just remember that any weight gain is probably water and will go very quickly if tackled immediately …. hence the ‘4 WEEK FIX’.

Hope you all have a great day and see you tomorrow with your ‘plan’ if you’ve not already posted.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Thanks for setting this up Verano.
    Count me in!
    I currently have a Christmas pudding belly to rival FC’s, in fact, I’m convinced Storm Barbara is actually in there rather than in Scotland, so I am totally ready to jump back on board for our new venture.
    Great to see both new and familiar faces. We done to those who lost, and to those who gained, like me, no worries. We can do it!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hope everyone had a lovely day yesterday. I decided to continue with fat secret yesterday and also weighed everything I ate. It sounds a bit over the top but I wanted to know what an indulgent BSD Christmas day with clotted cream etc would add up to and also it makes me much more mindful of what I am eating.

Surprisingly it came out at 1512 calories and as I am now aiming for between 1000 and 1200 my indulgence came out as 300 calories. Obviously this was the 20g of clotted cream with both my breakfast and dinner. So probably something to keep for special treat days or when we have visitors.

Jumped on scales this morning – 9 stone 6.5lbs – so exactly the same as last Tuesday. Did a happy dance. At the moment I am looking through the Rohan sale leaflet and have chosen a couple of things to replenish my rapidly dwindling wardrobe as the charity shop pile is getting bigger.

This morning – after the high fat day yesterday – I am just not hungry. How different from my previous 68 Christmases.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Happy to report weighing the same today as yesterday 😀

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello everyone,

Count me in for the new challenge, please. I haven’t strayed far from the BSD path over Christmas (a small piece of Christmas cake, 3 Belgian chocolates and a slice of bread) and, much to my surprise, was the same weight this morning as yesterday but I know how quickly that can change…and I could easily have eaten all the chocolates!

I finished my 8 weeks just before Christmas and have lost 11 kilos. But that’s just the beginning and I’ve still got a long way to go so for my next mini goal I’m going to say 5 kilos in 4 weeks starting tomorrow. I’m pretty well back on plan today in fact except for portion control which has always been my problem, no off switch.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

The family have now all left and I am 1lb heavier but I am sure that is going to disappear in a day or two- still registering 9 on the visceral fat scale so still less than I have been for weeks. Just going to watch dr who with a weak black tea and chill. Well done everyone who managed to control Christmas.

on

gained 1 lb over the last 6 days but BG is 4.6. I have discovered it is not what i eat at one meal i.e. christmas dinner, it is what i have the rest of the time. I have gone straight back to omelette lunch then soup lunch and today more soup made from more left overs and tonight the obligatory turkey curry, family are having it with jacket potato and i am having cauli rice. I might be boring but i have had 2 liqueur chocolates and serveral glasses of wine so it is not as if i am not enjoying myself. We are going to a party tonight and i will be eating before we go to avoid the sausage rolls and crisps.

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Asked husband today if he would tell me what jackets can now go on charity pile – these are my smart going out jackets that I team up with trousers. Have already put on the pile the really too big stuff but wanted advice on the ones that are a maybe.

Not sure if he was the right person to ask – because each time I tried on a jacket he said they were absolutely fine – all I needed to do was put on more jumpers underneath them. Maybe I should wait until my daughter visits tomorrow evening for advice on clothes.

• posted by KarenGrave
    on

Hi Count me in! Have been off plan for a month or two due to a bad back and general sulking over the bad back. Have relatives around tonight and plan on sending them home with anything that is left and BSD as I am drawing a line under it and moving on. It also helps focus the mind that in 42 days I am flying off to a dream holiday which requires swim wear.
    Reading through the posts provide a significant boost in motivation as I hear about you all losing and adding clothes to the charity shop pile!
    Karen

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi, I’m in too. Have been maintaining around 9st 11lb for a few weeks after the end of my first 8 weeks. Not sure what has gone on over Xmas, had a big meal with my partners family yesterday. Will weigh tomorrow and would like to lose a few more pounds, aiming for below 9st 7lb which was my weight before I had children. Daughter is now 28!
    Treated myself to a Fitbit for Xmas, so plans include 10k steps each day .

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Welcome to all our new faces …. great to have you on board.

Well done sunshine-girl 1lb is neither here nor there and your BG is great! Just shows we can actually ‘live life’ and enjoy!!

We are now a band of 27 and I’m sure we will be more.

So I now have my goals for the next four weeks …

1. Back to fatsecret and record everything that passes my lips … aiming at less than 50g carbs and 1000 cals maximum.
    2. My new 5-a-day … plenty of water, less wine, more green vegetables, fewer oat cakes, more exercise.
    3. Try some chair based exercise and ‘walk’ more.
    4. Make more BSD recipes rather than ‘quick’ food out of the fridge like cheese and oat cakes!
    5. Keep logging on to this thread and on to ‘2017 mini-goals’ to keep me on track.

I am so looking forward to logging my food again as I’ve not done that for well over a month. The good thing is that I’ve maintained quite happily over that time.

Just want to get back on track!

Good luck to all who are travelling along this route.

• posted by Natalie
    on

It feels so good to be back! I’ve been reading and posting anyway, while not really sticking to BSD over Christmas, but from today am putting the wobbles behind me and heaving a sigh of relief that the season of constant temptations is over. Found out last night that friends are coming over this afternoon and my first thought was “oh no” as it means more food but then I realised it’s a perfect opportunity to get rid of some of the leftover snacks. I’ll be eating a little nibble of cheese and fruit, they can have the biscuits and chocolate!

I would love to lose 5 kg in this four week challenge, but I am not in control of that. What I can control:
    1. 800 calories a day with no processed or starchy carbs, lots of veges, and tracking every mouthful
    2. Lots of water
    3. Starting to exercise after a long hiatus

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have revised my goals slightly for the next 4 weeks:
    1. Maintain weight between 9 stone 4lb and 9 stone 7lb by keeping to 50g or under of total carbs and calories
    between 1000 and 1200 a day
    2. Every day to follow the BSD, log onto this forum, weigh and log all food into fatsecret and weigh myself
    every day
    3. 11K steps a day which includes an average of 45 active minutes logged by my Fitbit.
    4. Start HIT training on my static cycle to improve muscle strength plus more planks and press ups for arm
    muscles
    5. Plan my diary better to include more ‘down time’ to relax

Am posting tonight because tomorrow I am out really early to catch the bus for a shopping trip to the sales.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Hi everyone: I would love to join in. I have tried the BSD off and on since July but the most I lasted was one week. It makes me sad to think of where I could be at now with my weight if I had stayed with it.

The first and last thing I do everyday is come here to this forum and read everyone’s posting. Which are so encouraging.

My goal for this 4 weeks is to lose 12 pounds and get back into the gym.
    take care

• posted by Bokkie
    on

Hi there, I’d love to join the 4 week challenge, goals are. To lose 1 stone and do10k steps per day, if the weather is vile , an exercise DVD. Bit ambitious but will post daily and stay accountable.

• posted by tigs
    on

Hi all and wishing you lovely times over this season.

Yes, I am IN too and thanks so much Verano for your rallying call. It’s 27th here already and trying to last till lunchtime so on the forum to get inspired and back in the groove…the last 5 days were well off plan and a bit of a weight gain was the result. All expected. Family still here off and on till the 8th but I will do my very very best. My goal this next year is to get to around 62kg (9 or so to go) and then to work out how to maintain successfully xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.