4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bokkie
    on

So when is. Start date please?

• posted by Bokkie
    on

Oops just seen tomorrow?

• posted by Natalie
    on

Tigs its 11:30am where I am (Sydney) and I really really want my lunch! Yoghurt and raspberries for breakfast was nice but not as much food as my tummy has been used to lately.

Bokkie starting 27/12/16 which is today here but might be tomorrow where you are.

• posted by tigs
    on

Same Natalie, trying to adjust my stomach (and thinking) back to BSD mode. It’s tough. Meal by meal focus and plenty of other distraction needed to get through. I’m catching up on movies as showery here today. Hopefully it won’t be like starting all over with those first week hurdles. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi all, 10.30ish here in Perth (3hours behind Sydney and the Eastern Summer Time). Congrats to those maintaining and losing. For me, 63.7kg this morning, continues the recent upward trend i.e.4kg up since Xmas Eve. Starting this 4wk challenge knowing that I do better with behavioral goals rather than kg goals, my aims are:
    1a. Be happy keeping cals under 900; carbs under 60gms
    1b. Be sure cals & carbs are BSD friendly
    2. Be meticulous abt fluid intake
    3. Exercise has been a bit here and there lately, so will get back to regular gym and walking. I know I feel so much better when I do.
    Best wishes all xx

• posted by tigs
    on

Just reading The One Thing by Keller and Papasan where there is an excellent chapter about forming habit.

“Stick with the discipline long enough for it to become routine. Habits, on average, take 66 days to form.” And this sentence – “Harness the power of selected discipline to build the right habit, and extraordinary results will find you.”

Resonates for me in terms of establishing this healthy eating way of life.

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi everyone – and thanks to Verano for starting a new challenge! Count me in please ๐Ÿ™‚ I missed the end of the last challenge (“Strictly our last 4 in 2016”) as I was away over Christmas, staying at a gorgeous beach cottage, but with no wi-fi. It was a great week away, surprisingly active and all BSD friendly (well, except for one very tasty date and fruit scone with jam :-))

I weighed in this morning at 71.8kgs (now down 15.4kgs from my starting point 11 weeks ago). I lost 1.4kgs over the Christmas week while I was away, so well pleased with that. What I have found though is that my hunger levels seemed to have spiked up again. I’m craving fats at the moment and have to restrain myself from eating peanut butter straight out the jar. I love it so much! I’ve been over my daily 800 several times over the last week, but assume it the daily activity and high proportion of healthy fats that’s kept me losing.

My goals for the next 4 weeks are:
    1. Lose at least 2kgs to get me below 70kgs and hit the 20% loss overall. This will also edge me into the top end of a “healthy” BMI range (although the range for my height is an 18kg spread so definitely need to keep going as I can still see I’m overweight!)
    2. Get closer to the “magical” 80cm waist measurement. I think I’m around 90cm at the moment based on my fumblings with the measuring tape ๐Ÿ™‚
    3. Maintain a 28 day average of 10000+ steps per my fitbit (am still loving it!) – which means after posting this I need to get moving!
    4. Start to incorporate some strength training to tone up my arms and core muscles

Good luck everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by raintoday
    on

Hi everybody – am ready to start this 4 week challenge.
    Diagnosed w/ diabetes in July 2016 – weight then was 207 lb.
    A1c = 9.2. Fasting BS was 388.
    I read a bit online and learned about tactics for lowering A1c – went low-carb without much plan overnight – just get those numbers down ! Labs much better in October
    Currently weigh 165 lb at the gym today – 15 lb to go.
    GP sees no reason to do labs again till May – we are discussing that – I would like review in January, especially since I was started on a statin “because you have diabetes and research shows …….”. Also on Metformin 1250 mg per day. Would like to decrease that – maybe stop if pancreas can step up again.
    I came across Dr M. research and then this board about 2 weeks into the pre-Christmas challenge – read lots of the posts and loved the support you gave and rec’d – want to be part of this circle!
    Have kept to 800-1150 cal daily mostly – my highest cal day was probably 1600 over past couple months.
    Goals for this challenge : drop 10 lbs, carbs under 50 Gm per day, average weekly blood sugar under 120 – currently is 130, continue to feel as good or better than I feel now.
    Posting here will help me stay accountable and to stay focused – I have slid out of pattern of logging food daily and getting to the gym – and starting to feel a drag in my enthusiasm ….. not good- gotta change it up !
    One thing I liked about the meal plan in the book is it uses carbs – I was so carb-phobic for a few months and didn’t know how to eat them in some kind of balanced way.
    I log food in My Fitness Pal but they get crabby if I log below 1000 cal and start lecturing about not eating enough – anyone know a way around that ? Or a different app ? I do like FP because it recognizes everything !!
    Day 2 tomorrow !!

• posted by tigs
    on

Hi raintoday. Wow what awesome results you have achieved! Not far to go now.

I set up for daily 800 cals and percentages for macros under My Home/Goals/Your Fitness Goals on MFP and had no problem at all with reprimands – I get none.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning, to steal and adapt famous line from a 1970s/80s TV series:

“Success costs, and right here is where you start paying.” As with any discipline, the key to winning is: if you fall ten times – get back up eleven times. Having a challenge starting today is perfect for me. Having exceeded my pre Christmas weight goal by 0.08lb on Christmas Eve I was happy to relax my calorie levels (whilst eating only BSD food, with my only concession being a very small roast potat, a small portion of Christmas pud and a little glass of Port ) for three days and celebrate the feast in style with family. Time to reign it in now though!

For this four week challenge my goals will be mostly exercise based as I have reached my weight goal.

*Return to pre Christmas weight (if any gained- no scales available til Wed).
    *Do my HIIT exercises regularly
    *Do my strength building exercises regularly
    *Get up and move around more often when sitting for any length of time (I will aim for every 30 mins)
    *To aim to stop or at least reduce my blood pressure meds (I have Dr apt in 3 weeks)

It’s a good time for me to focus on generally being more active and productive, using all the extra energy eating BSD style has given me.

It’s good to share this part of the journey with you. All the best to everyone.

• posted by raintoday
    on

thx Tigs – took a little effort (how many cals do brain burn off, I wonder….) but I got it ….. I set this up a couple yrs ago w/ old goals …
    looking forward to this – thanks for your help !! onward ……

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Morning! Started well with 40 minutes on the rower at medium pace and a yoghurt and raspberry breakfast. Driving from Edinburgh to Chester this morning to stay with my aunt – she’s a veggie with two lively spaniel pups so food and exercise should be ok. I just need to get past the Tebay farm shop without stopping for the traditional bacon buttie!

Car loaded with gifts, water and nuts. See you all in a couple of days! MKx

• posted by LindaA
    on

In addition to my other goals, I forgot to mention my goal of completing at least 15,000O steps per day and with day 1 nearly over in Sydney, I can announce that I’m on track food wise and have done 26,784 steps today.

Wednesday is my official weigh in day where I record my weight, although I do weigh myself every day just to keep track of what is happening.

I now know my body well enough to know that a 2kg variation from day to day is normal and has more to do with fluid retention or toilet habits than weight gained or lost.

Now that I’m on maintenance, my aim is to fall between 56-58kg each week so I’ll report in tomorrow with my weekly weigh in.

This thread will be good for me too, even though I’m on maintenance, as I’m determined not to bounce back and gain weight like I have done in the past.

We’ve got an extremely hot week coming up so I’ll be walking first thing in the morning so I don’t get heat stroke on my walk. (That happened to me a couple of weeks ago, not pleasant!)

For those in the U.K. soon to wake up, best of luck on day 1 of this challenge!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 1 …. WEEK 1

Good morning everyone and good evening to our Australian friends

Well here we go again! We are now 32 and climbing.

We have just 28 days to concentrate all our efforts and that’s really not too long in the grand scheme of things. We’ve all stated our aims and hopes for the challenge and we can make them happen …. after all it’s only 28 days!!

There have been some encouraging quotes posted here and I have just one more to add ….

‘Do not judge me by my successes,
    Judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again’
    Nelson Mandela

We are none of us perfect but we just have to ‘keep on keeping on’.

Good luck everyone. Have a good day.

• posted by raintoday
    on

fall down 10 times, get up 11 times !

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, just about to go for a run but fighting my new Garmin running watch Christmas present and wondering if my husband was serious when he said to wake him up and he would join me. All systems go for the next four weeks, good luck everyone and thanks Verano for setting it up.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Happy whatever day it is!
    Can’t wait to start this challenge and agree that four weeks seems easier to cope with. I think I have lost 3.5 pounds since I left home (due to a nasty gastric bug I hasten to say) but won’t know for sure when I weigh on my own scales.
    My aims over the next four weeks are:
    To see my weight begin with 14!
    To lose 6.5 pounds to make my loss overall 2 stone 7lbs ( should be doable but I often aim too high and then fall)
    To start again writing a food diary, counting calories and continue eating low carb, but will wait until weight loss stalls to count carbs.
    To drink less wine.
    Increase daily walk from 30 minutes to 45.
    X B

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve had a very successful day one, even with visitors for afternoon tea, I had cheese and a little fruit with my cup of tea and resisted all the non-BSD leftover treats I put out for the guests. I did have one little slip through not being vigilant, I was given some fruity teas as a Christmas gift and shared the Turkish Apple with our guests. It was very nice, but suspiciously sweet. After half a cup I went searching. No details on the little box, the bigger gift box had ingredients but no calorie values – but sugar was number one on the list! I looked online and found one cup was 56 calories and 14 grams of sugar. 14 grams! That is 3 or 4 teaspoons. I’d made it weak in a big infused jug, and didn’t finish my cup, but still. Ironically the other two flavours in the gift box had no calories or sugar, I just picked the bad one.

I was a bit grumpy and hungry in the late morning but I’m feeling fine now, filled up on lots of veges with some protein and fat.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All,
    Im trying to get back into routine.Im up 2kg since xmas eve . I ate everything both good and bad and had a bit of wine so Im ok with 2 kg . I have slipped back into mindless snacking which needs to be controlled. So goals are to loose 2 kg in two weeks,more exercise to do at least 6000 steps/day for 2 weeks increase every 2 weeks.current fasting BGL is under 6 so goal to reduce to under 5 .my main aim is to establish a routine.As Im not working at the moment I have no routine and watching too much TV
    .Santa bought me a new scales so as soon as I get batteries ,I can measure body fat and other good stuff. I plan to post often so keep myself motivated.great to see everyone on the challenge.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Forgot to say my goal is a really modest 1lb a week. I’ve decided not to give myself unachievable goals so I can reach and better them!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Morning All,

Just weighed in and today’s weight is the same as Christmas Eve – 18st 8lb. Not bad, as had a couple of champagnes and a very good port on Christmas Day as well as a bit of stuffing and a small portion of Christmas pudding.

Had a sloe gin at the shoot yesterday and the bacon out of a couple of bacon sandwiches.

Two targets for the four weeks:
    1) to get to 18st 4lb which will get me over the five stone off in total.
    2) Stretch target – to get to 18 st 2lb – which will be 75lb off and three quarters of the way to my ultimate goal weight

Did 24,500 steps yesterday so good start for my goal of an average of 16,500 per day….

• posted by Beagler
    on

I’ve not used a forum before but this just chimes with the Christmas present from my daughter – a copy of the BSD recipe book! We had the avocado & tomato for starter for Christmas dinner, and I’m planning on the fruit sponge (though I would call it a “tweaked” clafoutis) for supper tonight.
    My aims: keep on moderate carbing, and see my weight dropping instead of staying static.
    And keep pushing the steps. I’ve worked up from a weekly average of about 5000 to about 7000, now I want to keep my daily steps over 8000. (how these super fit people do over 20,000 just beats me!). I suspect my new border collie will help there!
    My problem: I just love food. And I get awfully hungry at teatime.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Beagler,

Definitely no super fit!

But I was out in the country and busy from 8am to 6pm so the steps mount up almost by accident. I have noticed that my weight “plateaus” from time to time and that a couple of days of 15000+ steps really breaks the plateau. But then again so does the occasional bowl of porridge.

In my opinion, you’re doing the right thing working on weekly averages as single days don’t really mean much and it’s the general increased activity that is important.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret – over 20K steps is really awesome. The most I ever do is 16K so I am really impressed.

Dashed in on the bus to our nearest City centre. Found exactly what I was looking for in Rohan. Some super tops in the sale – ideal as my ‘uniform’ for teaching classes and size 10 fitted beautifully in ultramarine and French blue stripes. So as soon as I got back I put all my size 16 black tops in the charity bag.

Bought some troggins – trousers that are as comfortable as leggings apparently! Size 8 because size 10 was too big – words that I definitely thought I would never ever write!!!!

Daughter and family are here and I was so pleased that I had been given the luxury biscuits as there isn’t anything else non-BSD in the house. Which might be why they are now making a quick trip to Tesco.

Daughter was especially impressed with her dad keeping to the BSD because he was a worse carb addict than I was.

So another good BSD day – I have realised that I have to work as hard at maintenance as I did on the BSD. I still have to weigh and log my food as I don’t seem able to judge just how much I am eating just by looking at it. Also I do forget what I have eaten if I haven’t logged it.

• posted by tigs
    on

I have been thinking that a few days off (not too many though) with much higher carbs is exactly what will shock the body back into losing weight happily. After a solid 8 weeks/decent period on the plan, it would not have hurt for the body to get its routine mixed up with Christmas indulgences, for it to cooperate well once back on the way of eating for weight loss and health. I am sure I have read it somewhere (evidence base) but, most of us are here anyway.

It will be encouraging to see how quickly we lose the extra wee gains we made over Christmas. I am down by 1.2kg in a day so it must have been mostly water weight after all. And here I was with a bit of a panic on about ‘slippery slopes’ and all. Day 2 back on plan today. Going away overnight and staying with a friend. Hopefully can keep fairly closely to BSD.

• posted by tigs
    on

JulesMaigret and KrysiaD and Natalie = WINNING! Love reading about those victory moments. Doing so well!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Beagler and welcome.

Your daughter did really well mine bought us a ‘champagne afternoon tea at the Grosvenor Hotel in Chester’ ….. so, so lovely but so, so full of carbs!!! Think we will use it way on in 2017 when I might just be able to get my head around sandwiches and scones. May never get back into ‘french pastries and fancies’ !!!!

• posted by Janeyjune
    on

I am new to this site so looking forward to joining you guys from the 9th January for an 8 week challenge.. I have about 8kgs to lose . Have tried the majority of diets without great success but feel that this way seems to be the best way.
    Eat proper food and get off the carbs and sugar.
    I have bought and read the book and receipe book and have started trying to make some of the tasty dishes
    Fingers crossed that 2017 will be the year I shed those very irritating kgs.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I lost 0.4kg after day one and admit I was hoping for a bit more, so after using the bathroom half an hour after weigh-in I thought that must make a difference and weighed myself again. Nope – exactly the same. How is that even possible! Oh well 0.4 is still a nice loss for one day.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Janeyjune
    Welcome!
    Why 9 Jan, why not today?
    Think how much weight you could lose and how much healthier you could be between now and 9Jan if you start today๐Ÿ˜€
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning everyone, it’s very encouraging to read all your trials and successes, thanks for posting. If ever I feel like giving up, I read everything I can find on here and it bucks me up again.
    I put on a couple of pounds over Christmas and had a strict BSD day yesterday, but no change yet. I also did my fasting bloods, mainly to encourage myself as I’m not diabetic, and they were 6.1! ๐Ÿ˜ช
    Might it be stress related do you think? Someone smashed my car windscreen on Boxing Day night (they clearly weren’t having a good Christmas) and it’s been playing on my mind. I know it’s not the crime of the century, but it makes me feel a bit vulnerable and sad. Not to mention being unable to travel to my grandsons today, as I can’t get it fixed until tomorrow. And ยฃ75 out of pocket!
    Sorry for the grumble. Chin up Bissell, today is another day!

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 2 ….. WEEK 1

Hi everyone

Welcome Bissell as you say ‘today is another day’!!! Onwards and upwards towards your goal.

Day 1 for me was a disaster day! I only had 2 Baileys truffles but did have quite a high carby day with falafel and vegetarian koftas for lunch so lots of chickpeas. I managed to have a very light evening meal so the scales have stayed the same, fortunately.

Tigs I agree with you in that I do think the body does need a shake up now and again to get it to ‘wake up’. Probably having a carby day does that.

Today will be a better day. Hope day 1 was good for you and day 2 is better still.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning everyone, I too put on a couple of pounds over Christmas, but not from carbs, just from enjoying too much of the good stuff, macadamia nuts, double cream in my coffee, lots of delicious meats and cheeses etc. My body has definitely had enough of the over indulgence (could barely face the tea that I cooked yesterday!) so reining it in should be relatively easy. This forum is certainly an incentive!

I think this is often the trickiest part of the Christmas 12 day feast, the bit between 25th and New Year. That temptation to wait until… whenever it’s convenient, the parties are all over, the ‘treats’ are all eaten etc etc. Having a birthday in early Feb means that for me the feasting season can be extended quite easily, ha ha! It’s so great to have found a simple way to get and stay healthy.

Keep going everyone, it’s SO worth it.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I didn’t weigh in yesterday as travelling back home from the Lakes, but this morning shows the damage from my indulgent few days as I have put 3 pounds on from my last official weigh in on the 23rd. Today will be a bit carby too, but will do a nice BSD tea with a lamb stew and lots of vegetables. I am definitely not feeling as well as i was on the full BSD WOE so will be glad to get back to the ‘new normal’ routine after new year, and trying to make my new target of 10 stone 8 which is just under a stone away at the moment.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Daisiesmum – I think you are right about the body knowing when it has had enough. I upped my calories to 1500 over Christmas – only eating the good stuff and this morning my body was wanting just a small breakfast of Kefir and flaxseeds.

I absolutely could not eat the huge fried breakfast my husband made. I did think that perhaps I would force myself to eat a fried egg just to be more sociable but realised that it would be incredibly stupid as no-one was actually noticing what I was eating. I think we are much more in tune with our bodies on this way of eating. Bad carbs seem to mess this up.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I have a confession to make, we went to the beach this afternoon then to a restaurant, which should have been ok, I ordered steak and salad but I was really hungry and also ate the chips. Then because we were feeling all “summer holiday” I ordered a really bad bad sweet dessert. I was feeling sick by halfway through but ate it all anyway, my stomach is bloated like I have a balloon up my shirt and my blood glucose is literally the highest I’ve ever seen it. Feel sick and sleepy and ashamed of myself.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Absolutely don’t feel ashamed of yourself Natalie. Just think of it as ‘an off plan day’ and get straight back ‘on plan’ tomorrow. As we are all thinking of this as long term way of eating we are all bound to have ‘off plan days’ at some point.

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Just spent ages typing a post and it disappeared so trying again! 7 1/2lbs on in 2 days!!! Have lost 1 3/4lbs off of that. Days good, evening demons abound!! Following BSD as best I can, will be back strong when life returns to normality. Am having network problems so hope to catch up on the thread, see how you have all fared over this festive period.

• posted by susieb
    on

Hi, everyone,

I would love to join this thread and achieve some goals with you all for the next 4 weeks.

I have tipped myself into the ‘Obese’ category for the first time ever and it has shocked me into action as I know it’s a slippery slope from there. I am going on a cruise in exactly 5 weeks and nothing fits and I’m so upset with myself.

So, my goals are:

* Lose 1 stone (aiming high, Dr. M!) and get back into the ‘overweight’ category (ha, ha!)
    * Drop a dress size – currently wearing size 16-18 (UK). My lovely sister bought me a pair of gorgeous satin pyjamas in a diplomatic size 14, so I would love to take these to wear on the cruise.
    * Reduce my waist measurement by 4 inches. Currently a very dangerous 44″ and makes me look totally deformed.

I’m going to post everyday to keep myself accountable and look forward to getting to know you all!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

hi everyone, hope you are all well. Weight up 2lbs in total but BG is still around 4.0 to 4.6. My daughter is having a big party tonight and I am going alcohol free as I like to keep an eye on things and make sure the guests are having a good time.

I havent thought about my goals for next year yet, want to see where my weight is and will reassess when I get home on 3rd Jan.

Trelawny I bet you hit the back key instead of going to the forum link at the top of the page. That’s how I have lost posts:

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl hope you’re having a good time in the UK. Your BG is great. I’ve read so much talk lately of +/- 2kg being ‘normal’ for weight fluctuation that 2lbs is excellent really especially given the time of year. Maybe we’re being too hard on ourselves when the scales show even the slightest increase!

Hi susieb you don’t say whether or not you’re new to BSD. If you’re really strict with the carbs and calories you could very well lose a stone in 4 or 5 weeks. Good luck anyway and you’ve come to the right place for encouragement.

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi everyone. I have weighed in today at 9st 11lb, so have not gained at all over Xmas – can’t quite believe that as I have not been counting carbs at all, and have had some naughty roast potatoes, stollen cake, chocolates etc, but have been keeping overall calories around 1500. Its very reassuring as it shows that I can maintain quite well without worrying too much, I am not diabetic so carbs are not quite so critical with me.

However I would like to start losing a few more pounds and my main aim for this 4 weeks is to lose 4 pounds, to get me to an all time adult low! Goals are 10K steps every day, keeping carbs around 50g, and calories no more than 1000 – so back to the BSD recipe book. I made the cauliflower cheese recipe last night but used sprouts and cauli, and added a bit of ham – was yummy!

I have one question though. I have a new fitbit and have been recording my food on the app, but it doesn’t add up the carbs for me. Previously I was using Calorie Count, with an app on my iPad, which analysed everything . Does anyone know if I can link this to the Fitbit, I think MFP can be linked but I haven’t used that one before? How do other people use Fitbits for carb recording? Need some help here please.

• posted by susieb
    on

Hi, Verano – I dabbled a bit earlier this year but never stuck with it for more than a week, I just kept losing my motivation and focus and I got so busy with work that it seemed easier to ignore my increasing weight.

But now I really intend to knuckle down now with my holiday in sight and I have a clear run until then off work so I can focus on ME!

I am definitely aiming for a stone in 5 weeks. My overall weight loss target is 4st 2lbs to put me in the middle of a healthy weight range (according to NHS).

Just had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for a late breakfast. Am totally ignoring all the christmas leftovers and have planned a healthy tuna steak and stir-fry for tonight!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

What a lovely gift Verano. Chester is such a lovely place. Just an hour from where we live. I have heard the Grosvenor afternoon tea is lovely. Enjoy it when you go.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi everyone. Good to see so many people signing up for this challenge.
    Weigh in this morning. Have neither lost nor gained so happy with that. Aiming to lose at least 10lbs over the four weeks. Also get into some resistance and weight training.
    I’m not able to weigh in weekly as I work away from home so can’t use my own scales. I do have access to industrial scales which weigh kgs so I’ll have some idea if I’m heading in the right direction.
    Good luck everyone.

• posted by susieb
    on

Hi, Norfolkgal, I use My Fitness Pal to record my food and I have that linked to my fitbit. I can set up my macros on MFP too so I have a guide as to how to plan my meals to fit. For example, I have my macros set to 800 calories, 50g carbs, 31g fat, 80g protein and then I input my meals for the day and play around with them until they fit.

The calories in are automatically added to the fitbit dashboard.

• posted by Norfolkgal
    on

Hi susieb
    This is just what I needed to know. I have now managed to set up MFP to link with my fitbit, and have recorded my lunch on MFP. It all seems to work ok. Just to let you know a small slice of stollen has 27g carbs, so I wont be having too many of those for the next few weeks! Now need a good walk this afternoon to get anywhere near 10K steps – too much time spent on the pc this morning.
    Many thanks, and all the best for 2017

• posted by susieb
    on

Thank you, Norfolkgal, all the best to you too. I’m hoping in 2017 I can finally get things under control…
    I’m off to try and get my 10k now too!

• posted by raintoday
    on

Good Morning (here – Northern California)
    Progress here – had a horrible case of the Christmas/job stress last week – got to the gym (finally) and woke up next day feeling lots less awful – really brought home to me the whole mind<—>body connection – also helped tha the weight had stayed put; still 165 lbs (11 stone 11 lbs ?) – not much exercise but kept an eye on foods – lots of veg and protein at Christmas table so plenty to eat and didn’t feel like I had to settle. One thing that makes this a bit simpler for me is I already have celiac (15 yrs) so a lot of seasonal temptresses are off my list anyway. Thank goodness no one had a box of See’s chocolate – that would have been a problem !
    Bissell, Natalie , Trelawny – this is hard stuff to do at times – I look at my blood sugars some days and want to just blow off the whole project “right, so I have milk in a small latte and check my BS a couple hours later and it’s that high – this is too hard ! ? ” – and get back into the whole negative mindset – I am glad to have all the email notices of board posts here to get my head straight again – we can do this !
    If anyone here is dealing w/ ‘dawn effect /phenomenon’ I would appreciate info on addressing that – seems no matter what I eat (or don’t eat) I am at 120-130 each AM – I can go to bed w/ a 98 and still get up there 8-9 hours later.
    Work today – which means a 40 mile drive (sitting) then desk / computer, 40 mile drive home. Need to write a note for my screen reminding me to get up each half-hour to walk and stretch.
    Best wish for everyone to have a low-carb day !

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi raintoday.

I used to struggle with the dawn phenomenon. Before I started the BSD a year ago I could never get my fasting bloods below 7, the day I started the BSD it was 10.9.

By keeping my daily carbs very low I was able to not only get my fasting reading consistently below 7 for the first time, but now (like my other readings) it is now consistently in the ‘normal ‘ range.

You don’t say how many carbs you have daily, but some on here (like me) have to go quite low to get their bloods under control.

Hope this helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.