4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve been finding school holidays difficult with two kids at home – two weeks to go! – but my daughter has suddenly become the diet police. She’s nearly 13, and since Monday has been on a gluten-free diet to see if that helps a few problems she’s been having. I don’t remember exactly what I said, but apparently I promised to do it with her! Of course I shouldn’t be eating that kind of food anyway, but sometimes I’m weak. She looked so disappointed in me when I was going to have some crackers with my cheese that I had to put them away again.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hello all! I hope everyone is well, or at least improving if unwell.

NATALIE, I hope your daughter finds relief from her probs. I have quite a few gluten sensitive relatives and it is only recently that I have realised am also better without gluten. Back in Sept/Oct before I started BSD I ate bread for the first time in a while – I hadn’t been avoiding it particularly, it just hadn’t been in my meal plans – boy, did I suffer – bloating, pain, sluggishness etc. Being gluten free on BSD has confirmed my suspicions and I plan to stay away from wheat, barley and rye for ever.

Take care everyone, happy BSD Thursday!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Cara54
    That is definitely progress. I still find it amazing that your tastes change if you keep off the bad stuff. I have coffee at a cafe with an amazing range of cakes which you have to queue up alongside while waiting to be served. In the past they would have been a huge temptation (and they were at the beginning of the BSD) but now I can queue quite happily alongside them without being tempted to eat them at all.

I love not being tempted. Since last May I haven’t had one bite of the bad stuff because I just don’t want to have to go through all those cravings for sweet stuff again. Of course there is also the other issue of my phobia about the lucentis injections into my eye. Any thoughts that a piece of cake would be lovely completely disappear when I think of those injections.

Natalie – daughters make wonderful diet police. When I started the BSD one of my daughter’s lectured me on the perils of yoyo dieting (which I have done so many times in the past) and that I should really be thinking of going on a healthy diet for life. Both daughters are really impressed that I have done this on the BSD and although they are not overweight they are now incorporating BSD guidelines into their own diets.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all and welcome to Day 17 of 28

I hope you all have a good day today – keep strong – keep your goals in mind and try to awaken the carb monster. For anyone that has seen the Hobbit movies, I always have in mind Smaug the dragon when I think of the carb monster.

See ya later!

• posted by Cara54
    on

Lara. I am totally with you on the benefits of fasting. I also have the book by Dr Jason Fung and it is full of good information. I am surrounded by food when I am at work. I have accommodation here as I work week on week off. I cook every second week so it is very difficult to avoid food. I am working towards doing a 2 day fast. Probably easier when I’m at home. I have been inspired by your experience to give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    hope everyone is well – and not flooded/snowed in
    bit of sleety stuff here, it rained earlier and it’s cold, but nothing dramatic

I got the new Tom Kerridge low carb book today – I had a flick through in Waterstones and it has a scattering of non-recipe recipes (ie steak and salad – duur!) but some interesting stuff.
    If you go into Waterstones, the book is the full price of £20 – but only £13 on their website. They match the price if you ask – well Islington store did, but I’m sure it’s an organisation-wide policy.

AND – the tea tasting evening tonight! It was really good, I thoroughly enjoyed it – lots of different types of tea and information – and an earl grey gin and tonic and a matcha green tea champagne cocktail. They are planning to run them monthly, so look at Yumchaa’s website if you’re in London.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Greetings to everyone. Like FROG I hope you aren’t suffering consequences of wild weather! Where I live seems to be the only part of the UK not to be expecting snow 🙁 .

I am inching ever closer to my ultimate goal – ONLY .8lb to go!!! Only 4 days to my target date!!! I’m working out my maintenance program carefully because I’m so NOT hungry on averaging 800cals that I need to make sure I eat enough.

Tea tasting sounds nice FROG. I have gone off the taste of milk in my drinks since BSD. I used to go through 3-4pts in a week, now I buy in 1pt and it sits there going off! I use fruit teas to flavour my 2-3lts water (just put teabag in the jug of cold water for half an hour or so). I might try some more delicate blends that don’t require milk as my taste buds have changed so much.

Happy BSD Friday everyone, stay safe. Keep warm or cool, depending on which weather phenomenon you are facing in your neck of the woods.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Well done Daisiesmum that’s so exciting! You should be very proud of yourself. Especially since you seem to have changed the way you think about food and the triggers for eating the wrong stuff. Enjoy the maintenance phase!
    Frog, I was down at my daughter’s in Cardiff when the Tom Kettridge book arrived yesterday so we flicked through it over lunch. I must say it does have quite a few recipes that we will have a try of and has the carbs worked out for each. It makes a nice change to see a recipe book and think ‘I can cook most of the meals in here’ rather than have to avoid 90% like most books. I think she got it on Amazon for £12.50 (ish).
    We have approximately 0.25cm snow. Obviously I would take to my bed, but I have 1 tonne of logs arriving at 09:00 that require shifting and stacking. Extra cheese for my lunch, I feel!
    Enjoy the day, fellow BSD’ers.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Ha ha! I spoke too soon about the snow!

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all – just got to work after the gym – check me out (and thank goodness for flexitime)!

It just so happens that the glass door in the sauna (well it would be rude not to) means you can actually look outside through the main window (only one way I hasten to add!) so I was sitting in the sauna watching the snow – I felt quite Swedish….

Run, row and swim this morning before work – just off to shine my halo…..I have my positive pants on today – hope you all do too!! Have a good one and stay safe xxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Topcac – wow, you have been active this morning. I usually go for an after breakfast walk in the morning but have postponed it because it was treacherous underfoot with all the ice and now we have a snowstorm. So am catching up with the admin this morning and will do all my exercise this afternoon once the snow clears.

Daisiesmum
    How wonderful you are so close to your goal. It is great that you are working out your maintenance programme. I used to have 2 modes that I operated in. Either dieting or normal eating. Obviously my normal eating wasn’t by any means normal eating – it was in fact overeating,. I have been on maintenance for a month and have still lost a pound. I don’t mind that because it has given me some wriggle room. I would be happy to drop another pound but don’t want to go any lower.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Great for those who are active, I hoped to be. I have been suffering from a cold (and it is only a cold) for about a week. Today I am feeling considerably better but not ready to get my aerobics gear out. I don’t work so have been allowing myself to wallow, blanket round me, telly on, snuggling with my favourite cat. Real life will kick in next week when I start exercising and also need to clean the house. I have been nice being able to allow myself to be ill and not feel guilty.

I have still lost 4lbs from last week but no movement in the last 3 days, too much slobbing about. My BG is steady around 5.0 to 5.5 on a reduced insulin amount so just keeping things stable.

I have been keeping my brain active and just finished week one of The Science of Nutrition with FutureLearn, which is very dry but with a few interesting snippets. For example, I was told I would gain weight when I went on insulin and oh boy did I ever, 15kg in 6 months and still carrying about 10kg of that now. No one said why except I heard it called the fat magnet. Scientific explanation. The purpose of insulin is to stimulate the fat cells take up fat for storage, sounds like a bad thing but was for the purpose of maintaining a supply for times of famine and also clear the blood of excess, there are other purposes to do with sugar too. I am also still doing French and Spanish daily, about half an hour on each and next week I will be back to my French class at college which I missed this week.

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hello BSDers wherever you are!

Bissell, I hope the .25cm of snow didn’t cause too much travel disruption in your area and that you were able to go about your daily life as usual. We had a snow flurry which turned to sleet within a minute.

When I got up this morning I was amused to remember that I used to love getting up so I could get to my kitchen and eat something, NOW I love getting out of bed so I can weigh myself! I wait a minimum of an hour before eating, usually longer preferring to drink water and then black coffee to start my day.

Here’s hoping everyone has a wonderful BSD Saturday.

on

Lost another quarter of a pound. No I dont weigh myself in quarters, I’m not that sad, I use kilos so 0.4 is about quarter of a pound. So I have lost 4.25 lbs since 2 Wednesdays ago with a goal of losing 4.5, drat, nearly there.

Everything else is fine, in fact everything is wonderful. I am feeling much better and had a bit of a pamper this morning, shower, hair wash, epilated my legs and bikini in time for swimming next week. Won €7.20 on the Euro Lottery, just received a tax refund from the French authorities of €600, just moved my UK tax allowance to my husband saving £17 per month. Im not money orientated but living on a pension, every little helps and it just all seemed to happen today. Not only that but the sun is shining although it is still cold here in France (12 degrees) we are set for -9 next week but no snow forecast, too cold to snow. Never did understand that.

Have a good day everyone and a good weekend.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Hello again fellow 4-weekers. How are you all diddling?
    Still have a little snow here in parts and it’s as chilly as a snowman’s …. nose! On the plus side, freezy cold weather encourages faster walking so that is good.
    I have managed to lose 4lbs this week and am now back to my pre-Christmas weight. So, for the last two weeks I have managed to lose more weight than my cat. He beat me in the first week of Jan. I’m on a roll now – 2:1 to me, cat!
    So onwards and upwards (emotion-wise) and forward and downwards (weight wise).
    Have a great day everyone. X

• posted by tigs
    on

Hello all. Cooler, windier and wetter weather here in NZ too and it’s meant to be summer!

Reached a new goal at 68kg and bang on BMI of 25. It’s been 10 years since I have been here and cannot fathom why it has taken me this long haha. So round 2 of BSD with New Year start, first week was 0.6kg down and this (2nd) week 2.8kg – that included three days of the 14 where I lost my way from mid afternoon. Total 13.1kg off since started BSD late September. Waist another cm off at 84 with a total of 14cm off.

I am not that active and need to be. Joining pilates this week as need to focus on strength.

Keep strong xx

• posted by Lara
    on

Good morning all – today marks my 100th day on the BSD! Feeling happy and healthy, love this new life 🙂

on

congratulations tigs on reaching your BMI of 25, I have a way to go, and also to Lara for completing 100 days. We can stick at this and keep on keeping on…

• posted by tigs
    on

sunshine-girl you are such an awesome cheer leader! Thanks for all of the encouragement you are spreading around. AND back at you congrats for all of your wins, keep on for that .25 🙂

Lara, woohoo100 days! This WOE truly does have has in a good space.

OiMadam, impressed you are one up on your cat haha.

Daisiesmum, trust you had a fine Saturday!

topcac, you are truly inspiring with how active you are. It must feel fantastic and set you up for such a good day. Loving the positive pants and I’m putting them on today too 🙂

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fantastic results, tigs and Lara. I am on BMI 25 as well today, so snap. I feel the same, happy and healthy and why on earth did it take me so long to get here?

• posted by tigs
    on

Fabulous achievement Mixnmatch! Great to finally make it so far. Just a smidgen below and we will be ‘normal’ range. I still have quite a bit of belly fat going on so hoping towards mid BMI/a few more kilos will shift it.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am stopping nearer the top end as i have now lost most of the belly fat and the hips and thighs are going to the extent that I managed today to pull off my size 12 jeans without undoing the button 😮 thank goodness for belts! I think no more than another half stone or so.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hello everyone!

TIGS and MIXANDMATCH amazing achievements! Isn’t it a treasure to have found a new healthy and tasty way of eating that not only gives us such great weight loss results, but also produces so many other health benefits. I’m hooked!

I’m still .2lb away from my ultimate goal and still hopeful I will make that by Tuesday! I have found it helpful to put myself under a little pressure to keep me focused for that final push. It’s very exciting to be looking at a bright and healthy future with a comfortably slim body and a new confidence.

I still need to increase my overall fitness level, it’s not bad but I could do better 🙂

Have a great BSD Sunday all.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Wow.
    Tigs, Mixnmaytch and Daisiesmum you are inspiration for us all. It’s so great to read about everyone’s achievements.
    Topcac – loved reading about your snowy sauna experience post exercise. How wonderful. Your post has motivated me to get back into exercise more. I don’t naturally enjoy many forms of exercising (anyone else like me?) so really struggle to motivate myself. swimming and walking are my ‘go to’ activities so I have promised myself to up the anti and do more! Enjoy the feeling of being lighter everyone!

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, just on day 11 of my 12 days on the hurtigruten ferry up and down the coast of Norway. Have tried to mostly keep low carb and all my clothes still fit including belts so hoping that the damage is minimal. Blood sugars all normal except on waking, that’s usually in the low 6s and drops as soon as I eat. So still some work to do on the liver. I guess! Weighing in on Tuesday when I get home, fingers crossed!

• posted by Marsie
    on

Rosebery, spent a memorable week on one of the Hurtigruten Line ferries a few years ago. So stunning, but I do remember the food as being a little carb-laden…..so, well done you for staying in control. That is a good feeling👏👏👏

• posted by Snoop
    on

sunshine-girl, might you have lost more than you think? Or have I misunderstood? 0.4 of a kg is nearer a pound than a quarter of a pound.

on

Yes Snoop, it was 0.88 of a pound, my error was that it took me to 11.7 and a quarter so that was on my mind as I really wanted to be 11.7 exact.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Thanks Marsie, there is always fish and salad on the buffet and I have generally avoided desserts, potatoes,rice and bread. I have had a couple of small slices of a very dark bread that seems to be made mainly of seeds without any BG issues. But certainly more calories overall than usual!

on

Hardest thing for me today is making my husband a portion of sage and onion stuffing to go with his chicken so just done my BG to remind myself why I am not allow it, 4.8 happy face. At least he didn’t want any roasted potatoes with dinner although I am doing him mash. I am having left over mashed celeriac with horseradish sauce in it. It is delicious.

I will be allowing myself a vodka and tonic a bit later and maybe a glass of red wine with dinner. Life is for living.

Keep going everyone.

• posted by tigs
    on

Rosebery sounds like you are making good choices, even in those tempting surroundings 🙂

sunshine-girl, dinner sounds delicious!

Monday here and the weather has brightened, forecast for sun and heat finally. Time for ‘work face’.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Well done sunshine girl! I must try the celeriac/horseradish combo, sounds awesome. I had intended to have roast duck leg for lunch but neglected to check the use by date and when I opened it the smell was so putrid – straight into the wheelie bin! Note to self: use by the use by dates 🙂 My salmon lunch was delicious!
    Mmm, vodka and tonic sounds nice! I plan to include an occasional tipple once on maintenance (hopefully starting later this week!).

Well done rosebery, cruising can be a feasting minefield, well done for choosing mindfully. Hopefully you will be suitably rewarded.

Oh, mixnmatch I just read your post about pulling your size 12 jeans off without undoing them, tee hee! That’s amazing.

Keep going, we are all closer than we were at the start 🙂

on

Hi Daisiesmum, I am not at maintenance yet but have been on the diet for over 6 months so have to try and have a normal life, mainly stick with the calories, always stick with the no bad carbs but sometimes human.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

I agree sunshine girl, I have enjoyed quite a few tipples along my BSD journey but I’m being extra strict at the moment to get to my goal (also the reason why I’m weighing myself expectantly every morning) 😉

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone

Sunshine-girl my sentiments exactly!!! We do have to have a life as well! I also understand that for some there is no such thing as ‘just one’ or ‘only a taste’ so we each have to do the best for ourselves.

For me, although I do need to lose quite a lot weight, I have lost more than 10% and my HbA1c was ‘normal’ at the last review. So I’m happy to ‘go slow’.

I’ve been really busy the last few days, but would love to make the ‘last’ week of the challenge the one where I really get back properly into BSD. I’ve followed the principals of BSD for the last three weeks and have lost 3lbs in total but we have a four week trip coming up and I so need to be back fully into the swing of things before we go. Otherwise who knows what the outcome will be!!!!!

Sorry I’ve not really caught up with the thread but hope you are all doing well. Looks like quite a few more people are approaching ‘maintenance ‘ which is brilliant! Just go for it …. Lynne is managing really well so, so can all the ‘new maintainers’ . It is possible!!!!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Welcome back Verano. I think one of the (many) great things about BSD is how adaptable it is, each one of us seems to have found our own way. Sticking to the principles is more important than fast weight loss, especially if your markers are normal.

As an aside, I’m not sure what diet he followed, but a friend of mine, who I’ve only known as very overweight indeed, has been losing weight following some big health scares and said this morning that he’s lost ELEVEN STONE!!! I’m pretty sure he just did an all things in moderation approach with lots of exercise, but we’ll done him, eh?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’ve bought the new Tom Kerridge recipe book, which is essentially low-carb and BSD friendly and he has lost over 11 stone in three years – and the recipes look fabulous. And he has a serious respect for pork scratchings…..

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jules

How meat concentrated is his book? I really eat very little, maybe once a week or even less. I’m a fish/chicken person. How do you think his book would be for me??

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Quite a bit of red meat to be honest, including a section on mince, but a few soups, omelettes, white and oily fish. Might not be too good a fit and definitely not one for the vegetarian/vegan peeps on here.

• posted by Verano
    on

Daisiesmum …. 11 stone what can you say apart from WOW!!!! Proof off the pudding!!! Thing is where will he be in 6 months, 12 months etc! Not that I wish him any mallice but how many times have we all lost weight in the past only to put it back on ++++++

I watch the ‘Weight Watchers’ adverts at the moment …. eat what you want and lose weight…. think we have all been there, done that, seen the film, bought the book,and up until BSD, were still wearing the T-shirt!!!! It really does have to become a life plan not just a ‘quick fix’.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’ve looked at the Tom Kerridge book a few times but decided against it. It was the number of servings that put me off rather than anything else. I live alone and most of the recipes seem to be for 4 or 6 people. That, and the number of ingredients in many of the recipes.

I accept that I could probably make the quantity and freeze the extra portions. But that tends not to work for me – it just seems to sit in the freezer for ever.

But many of the recipes look great, so I hope you enjoy using it. Just not for me, though.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Hello BSD’ers. I have a one in every third weekend caring responsibility but a. Back. Some fab, inspiring posts here. 11.7 is my target so am excited to see people approaching that – it can be done! However, after losing every week I fear I’ve hit a bit of a plateau – nothing off this week but I reckon it’s down to NO exercise AT ALL while I’ve been poorly. That starts again tomorrow so fingers crossed for better results next week. BS seems to have settled again, so I’ll take that!

I’m planning on doing 8 week induction x 3, is it OK to do that? Now I’m in the swing I’m not finding it too hard, though stress is usually the enemy in terms of cravings, HOw long have others stayed on the 8 week plan? MK x

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Verano, yes, I’ve been there, done that and got the t-shirt in various sizes too! I hope to get the chance to talk to my friend about BSD as T2 is one of his many health issues, but I don’t feel the time is right just yet. I don’t want to upset his rhythm or to confuse him as he is in the zone on the system he’s using. But, come the revolution….

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

currently in week 23 and planning at least another couple of 8-week cycles….

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Maharani kitten

I stayed on the 8 week plan for around 9 months until I reached my target weight. But I had a lot of weight to lose.
    Hope this helps.

on

Welcome back Verano, where have you been. I have several friends who swear by SW or WW and I never criticise, it works for them, even with all those carbs that SW say you can have. If you are not diabetic then there is no need to be as strict as we are but just be careful and be aware of the future harm that can be done. I know what works for me and I try to stick with it. Funny thing is I really dont miss rice and pasta , maybe I would like a jacket potato one day and I will but not yet, not now. Bread is another thing that drives me crazy, I smell it in the French supermarket and see the crusty baguettes but, no, I have not been tempted. I am with this diet 90% and the other 10% are things that I am allowed but maybe exceed the calories by a couple of 100. Hey that makes me one day on 900 or 1000 calories, not the end of the world and I know I can control my cravings and I do, most of the time. I think they say a diet should be 80, 20, good 80% of the time and naughty 20%, I do a bit better than that. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Busybee
    on

Morning all,
    Just a quick check in as I am at the airport flying off to the sun for a week! I have lost another four pounds this week which, at last, takes me over the two stone off.
    See you when I get home.
    X B

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Busybee
    Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Yesterday I had a hungry day – ate more at every meal than normally. Maybe because it has been a bit stressful this week as I had been feeling very sorry for myself because I had been working 12 hour days 6 days a week and was doing admin on my day off (don’t feel sorry for me because I had booked all the work in my diary myself so I had total control of it).

Husband was ill with the same virus he has had since Christmas so we couldn’t go to granddaughters birthday in Kent yesterday. He was grumpy I was grumpy and we had a big row. Very unusual because we rarely row. So in the evening – instead of my usual fast after evening meal I ate even more.

I added it to fat secret and the day totalled at 1899 calories. Actually not too bad for a blow out. The extra food was mascarpone cheese, two extra squares of 90% Lindt (one of them at breakfast) and some of the Tesco finest roasted nuts. I avoided the high carb ones in the packet. So actually not bad for bad day.

So different from pre BSD days when a day like that would have consisted of a huge carb fest and lots of insulin injections to cover the carbs.

This morning woke up and was just not very hungry so had a very small breakfast. Blood sugars not too bad at 5.5. Am just working in the morning and evening today and have the afternoon off to go to the hairdressers and then wander around the city centre. So a lovely day ahead.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.. very good news from the daisiesmum camp this morning, pardon me if I shout it from the rooftops I HAVE REACHED MY GOAL WEIGHT!!! Woo hoooooo! I am blown away (not literally like last week) on previous weight loss programmes, progress was usually so slow especially towards the end, but I have lost over 2lb this week! I am now slightly under my new normal weight of 8st 12lb. I am celebrating with some rose lemonade flavoured sparkling water :D. I will save my BSD friendly celebratory meal until after I have seen my Doctor tomorrow.

I am totally convinced by the BSD as a way of life and am no longer interested in carby or sugary foods at all. So plan to maintain by just increasing calories and one or two indulgences like cream in my coffee or a bit more cheese. I’ll probably continue to keep an eye on calories and carbs until I’m on an even keel!

Have a great BSD Monday everyone!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Huge congratulations Daisiesmum!!!!!!! Or rather, not huge!!!!!!!
    How fantastic for you, I am pleased for you!
    Have a great day and an even better time at the Dr. If that doesn’t sound weird.

Please log in or register to post a reply.