4 WEEK FIX … 27th December … Welcoming 2017 with BSD gusto!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Lovely news to start the day Daisiesmum. Congratulations:-)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Have you ever woke up and just felt terrible, not ill but like there is something wrong. I have felt like that all day.

While in the Uk I bought myself a bottle of PLJ (pure lemon juice trademark) as I normally squeeze fresh lemons every day and decided to try this old remedy, I remember it when I was a teenager. Well the first thing I noticed is that is contains sulphides as a preservative, only to be expected, the next thing I noticed, my pee is bright yellow to lime green. After 4 days on it I decided to see if that was the cause and went back to squeezing lemons. Sure enough I am back to a normal colour. I will use it now and then when I run out of lemons but it is the same as all these artificial drinks, cola, diet coke, etc there has to be something in that is not really good for you.

Didn’t weigh this morning as I know I was naughty over the weekend but my BG is good at 4.7. Might be time to reduce the insulin again but I will give it a couple more days.

Have a good week everyone. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

A while ago, I was recommended Berocca tablets as a way of fending off colds. The colouring in it has a startling effect on pee. Day-glo yellow is an under-statement.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Thanks for your congratulations BISSELL and FAIRYFACE, I’m still a bit shell shocked, exceeding my weight goal (albeit by .4lb) early! I still have a few exercise goals to reach – to put it mildly.

• posted by tigs
    on

Woke up to read you fantastic news Daisiesmum! Congratulations, that is massive! Bet you feel like you are floating (in joy and because you are now so gorgeously light haha). xx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Yay Daisiesmum!! You go girl!

• posted by raintoday
    on

Very nice going – I bet you feel fabulous ! That is wonderful ! What a great inspiration to get this week rolling !

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Sunshine Girl – hope that the cold is on its way out – the lemon juice should help.
    I hadn’t noticed that with the PLJ – but I did buy a large bag of lemons as I got to the end of the first bottle. They pretty much sat on the kitchen counter, went mouldy, got thrown away, so I’ll probably stick with PLJ and not assess the colour of my pee – although I switched to drinking ginger in the mornings when I had a cold, and I’m still doing that.
    I got seconded to a workgroup once that involved periodic residential stays away. The first one I turned up to a couple of them had just got back from the states, and were chucking back berocca to avoid jet lag. Everyone else knew each other really well, so it was a bit odd to be in a room of about ten strangers with everyone discussing the colour of their pee.

I like the Tom Kerridge book, I haven’t cooked anything from it yet but yes, the large recipe sizes are a bit irritating – also the portion sizes are huge, there was a two person omelette with about seven eggs.
    I’m coming to realise that I primarily use recipe books for inspiration, rather than actually following recipes, so I’m happiest to find a recipe, asses the ingredients and make my own version without using the recipe too dogmatically.
    He does talk about having meat free days, but meat and fish do feature quite heavily; not one I’d recommend for a vegetarian.

I have just made (and eaten) my version of a Moroccan-style chicken with lentils that I found on the BBC website – very tasty, I had it with cauliflower.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Congratulations, Daisiesmum! What a delirious joy it must be to see all your efforts paid off in full. 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Congratulations Daisiesmum – what a fantastic achievement. You must have been dancing the happy dance all day.

Sunshine-girl – hopefully you will start feeling a lot better very soon. It’s horrible when you feel under the weather.

Today has been a much better day than yesterday. Husband is beginning to feel a bit better. My new website – which had been down over the weekend has gone live and looks really good.

Have had the whole afternoon off and don’t start back until 6pm. I thought I would wander through the city centre but had absolutely no intention of buying anything. But as I wandered through M&S I saw the perfect jacket in a lovely shade of red in size 10 which fitted me perfectly. So did the one in a lovely shade of teal. They were originally £45 marked down to 22.99 – who could resist that. As I walked past Rohan I thought I would just glance at the sale stuff. Saw a lovely size 10 top and small midnight blue fleece which again fitted beautifully – both at a really good sale price.

Not at all hungry today and struggling to even eat 800 calories.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Daisiesmum: Congratulation on reaching your goal weight.

I joined this thread 3 weeks ago but really restarted on the 9th of Jan. so today was my one week weigh in and I was down 7.6 pounds. This thread has really been motivating and made it easier for me to stick to after seeing how everyone is doing. Breaking it down to 4 weeks seems to make the weeks go faster.

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Good morning, just getting up on the first day after my holiday and three square meals a day. I have put on 3lb in the 12 days which I am happy about- I didn’t count calories and had the odd glass of wine and my daytime blood sugars were good though the fasting morning reading was stubbornly 6.5. This morning it is 5.6 which cheers me up a lot as I thought it was really never going to move! Phew.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Good morning fellow BSDers. Once again thank you all for your congratulations. The forums certainly helped to keep me motivated, provide hints and tips. It’s great to have virtual friends.

I was doing the happy dance on the inside yesterday and still am. HOowever my celebration was brought sharply into perspective when I heard that the father of a dear friend and neighbour passed away yesterday morning. He was a lovely man and my friend was his carer, he will be greatly missed.

Today is official weigh in, and I am still the same as yesterday : 123.6lbs or 8st 11.6lb. I plan to keep my weight just under 9st now. My maintenance plan is to increase protein (according to the fitness app I use to log my food, I need more), increase fat a little, more vegetables and slightly increase my good carbs – a few more chickpeas and lentils. I can’t imagine ever going back to carb based meals -yuk!

My Doctor’s appointment is late afternoon today. I hope that I will at least be able to reduce meds!

Here’s wishing everyone a HAPPY BSD Tuesday!

• posted by Rosebery
    on

Brilliant results Daisiesmum, good luck this afternoon at the docs.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Tuesday morning weigh in and I am pleased to report I am back down to my lowest weight since my honeymoon again, this time at 10 stone 13.2. That leaves me just 1 kg or 2.2 pounds from my ‘official’ target of what I weighed when I got married, which was 10 stone 11. I do want to overshoot that weight a little so my rebound leaves me still under 11 stone until the end of April when I have a date with my wedding dress trying on session for my 25th wedding anniversary. Delighted to have this as a new low for now though, onwards and downwards! 😀

• posted by Inka13
    on

Mixnmatch and Daisiesmum, congratulations on your brilliant results, you must be so happy! X

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Wow mixnmatch, you go girl! I was about 3st overweight when I married, so my wedding dress was the proverbial giant meringue! Well done you, such exciting news.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I had to go on a diet to fit into mine, and put on a stone on my honeymoon. (In california, huge portions! Loads of carbs.) Looking forward to a lovely indulgent time trying it on again though (I could fit into it now, I am fitter than I was then, but the anticipation is my motivation to make this work long term).

• posted by Verano
    on

LAST WEEK !!

Hi everyone

Well done Daisiesmum ….. another on bites the dust!!! Hope you get on well with your appointment.

I just heard that our ‘misery’ of a nurse has retired WHOOPPEEEE! Hopefully now there will be some encouragement from the new nurse rather than a dour nod to any progress. In fact, it’s quite lifted my mood which has been a bit low these last few days.

Last week already! It’s good to hear of all those reaching target or being almost there. Well done! Those of us who are struggling a little but still hanging on still need a pat on the back. We haven’t given in!

Just 7 days to go now so we have to …. keep on keeping on ……

Have a good day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch
    Congrats on getting back to your lowest weight since your honeymoon.

Weigh in this morning 9stone 6.75lbs. Up a quarter pound from last week – which is absolultely fine. Have been working quite hard at building more lean muscle mass so I think that even though I am maintaining my weight I am still gradually losing fat as the muscle slowly builds.

Goal for the last week of this challenge is to lose that quarter pound.

Verano – I do hope your new nurse will be really pleased with your progress and is much more encouraging of your efforts.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Ha ha, VERANO, I hope your new nurse is an enthusiast with a positive outook. A few years ago when I was going through cancer treatment I had a very dour nurse, I found out later that other staff used to refer to her as “the grim reaper”… and then there was Scarey Mary… 🙂

But hey, these miseries only stand out because of the outstanding work and attitudes of all the wonderful nurses we usually encounter. Well done nurses, we salute you!

• posted by Verano
    on

Sound like a lovely pair!!! But yes the vast majority of nurses really are wonderful.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning to all you fabulous losers, maintainers and loggers and joggers and those just starting out but sticking like glue to it!

Been frantic the last few days so apologies for not posting. Was delighted at a sneaky weigh in on Saturday (had to, as I was going out to eat and it tends to keep me on the straight and narrow) when I dipped 3/4 lb under 9 stone – fabulous. Was out for dinner on Saturday and logged everything for the day, totalling 1400 cals and 40 carbs – not bad. Back on it Sunday but grumpy to say the least that I put on 2lbs in those two days when I weighed yesterday (and today – in hope but not to be)….what the….???

I’ve driven myself mad trying to figure out why – if I can’t even eat 1400 cals on a special night out without piling on the pounds I really despair of ever going out to eat again! Wine maybe? I put my current weight and other stats into FatSecret and to maintain it’s telling me to eat 1700 calories a day!!! Fat chance (pardon the pun). I’ll be the side of a small barn if I do that. So…back on 800 for the next few days – and start again on this maintaining lark…upped my water, went to the gym Sunday and today – is it REALLY true that muscle weighs more than fat?…..keep on keeping on 🙂

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Aw, topcac, you don’t think it could just be the weight of the food in your system do you? Our bodies are funny things. I only ate 500 cals yesterday (back on a version of 5:2 now) and weighed the same this morning as I did yesterday. Over the weekend however, I had a bit of a struggle keeping within my BSD calorie count and yet still lost weight. Don’t despair, weight isn’t necessarily fat. I hope you have better news soon.

• posted by topcac
    on

Thanks Daisiesmum – no idea what it is but it’s not going to derail me – when I think of how far I’ve come and how great I feel in my clothes and in my general fitness, I’m very proud of my achievements and very thankful for all the support I’ve received from this forum – I am using the philosophy that out bodies fluctuate naturally for no reason so a couple of pounds either way is natural and I@m just going to have to get out of the mindset that a gain is bad – as long as I can lose it again I’m happy 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Topcac

You have done really well, and calories from your weekend “blowout” will even themselves out over the course of the week. As far as muscle weighing more than fat, of course it doesn’t. A pound is a pound is a pound, so obviously a pound of muscle and a pound of fat have to weigh the same, but they do differ in density. This means if you look at five pounds of muscle and five pounds of fat side by side, the fat takes up much more volume, or space, than the muscle, so it is often better to keep track of your measurements rather than just your weight! 🙂

Keep up the good work, you are doing amazingly well – I’m only just starting, so a long way (or should that be weigh 🙂 ) to go yet.

• posted by topcac
    on

Thanks Theodora for clearing up the fat/muscle issue – I’d forgotten about that – I shall get my tape measure out tonight. Good luck with your journey and keep coming on here for tips, advice and inspiration 🙂

• posted by Marsie
    on

Daisiesmum, Mixnmatch, well done both. And to everyone else posting on this thread, losing, maintaining, or just keeping on…..

I’m still circling instead of heading downwards. Weigh in this morning showed 62kg, up .3kg this week. Not much but disappointing. An eating day today, not BSD friendly. Tomorrow, and the week, will be better.

Best wishes to all as we work towards the end of this 4week challenge xx

• posted by LinD49
    on

Well done all on this thread. I am still at a standstill, really depressing. Still going tho’. Onward and downward, hopefully!

• posted by Shadynook
    on

Hi everyone, just want to share my happiness with you all. I had my first fasting blood test result yesterday after being diagnosed with T2 in October 2016. I started the BSD immediately refusing to even consider medication. I was over weight at 14st 5lb as I’m 5’5″ tall. I now weigh 12st 4lb and my result was 39 which means I have reversed T2 diabetes. The nurse was quite astonished at my result in just over 3 months and has recommended a follow up blood test in 6 months. It has taken dedication and will power but I am so proud of myself. I had the support of my partner and my two daughters and even my Grandchildren spurred me on over Xmas.
    I wish all of you the success I’ve had and I will be following the maintenance diet forever. I never want to be told I am a T2 diabetic ever again.

• posted by Verano
    on

Reading through the posts today I feel that we are so hard on ourselves sometimes.

We are human! We have good days and not so good ones, but if, on balance, we are moving in the right direction then that’s ‘success’.

Maybe we need to cut a bit of slack now and again and not beat ourselves up for the odd misdemeanour.

Well done Shadynook, no medication for you then! Brilliant. I think it’s great if you can start this plan as soon as diagnosed. Unfortunately not everyone had/has access to it.

Guess we just have to keep on keeping on ….

• posted by tigs
    on

Awesome results Shadynook and well done on being so committed and sticking with it! It must feel fantastic to have reversed the diabetes let alone do a couple of stone lighter!

And to all of us posting on this thread, through thick and thin, Happy days, the results are so worth it! Keep the faith xx

on

Well done Shadynook, you have saved yourself a lot of heartache but do keep it up, don’t let the demon T2 creep up.

Verano we are all human but sometimes we can be just stupid. I had lost 4.25 lbs but decided to relax over the weekend and immediately regained 2 lbs. I am doing my weigh in on Wednesday as that was my day after my holiday, it gives me a days leeway. Since Sunday I have lost 1 lb and hope tomorrow to be lower but why oh why do we do it. Maybe I was complacent in thinking hey I’ve done 4.25 in just over a week I don’t need any more off just yet but not thinking about putting it back on. I will say it again LESSON LEARNT…… Hopefully.

On a better note by BG is still around 4.2 to 4.7 so a am happy with that. I have not been doing any exercise as I have been full of cold, having now recovered I start by swimming tomorrow and possibly again on Friday or aerobics if I don’t get to the swim.

We do keep on keeping on… so should be proud of ourselves.

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes sunshine-girl we can be stupid, knowingly ‘sabotaging’ ourselves but hey that just makes us ‘human’ !!’m

Good to hear you BG is still good and that’s what it’s all about really.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Wow! Shadynook amazing results! It’s great to see people getting the BSD message BEFORE taking meds.. the truth is spreading; viva la revolution!

VERANO, I agree about being hard on ourselves this is LIFE, not prison. A piece of cheesecake or whatever is not the end of the world, even a slight increase in weight is not that big of a deal in the big picture, so long as we keep the faith and don’t think we’ve failed completely and give up. We are all in the process of learning a whole new relationship with food and it takes time and practice. Stick with it, it will pay off in the end.

I had a fantastic visit with with my Doctor, she has reduced my blood pressure meds by 50% with a review to reduce further in two months, woo hoo! Dr slightly increased my thyroid meds which I’m happy with, it was reduced a few months ago and I haven’t felt “right” since. I have a thyroid condition which cannot be controlled by diet but IS affected by it – I have recently learned that gluten is not recommended with an auto immune thyroid disease so a diet excluding refined carbs is excellent! I have to have an extensive set of blood tests in six weeks. I will use the interim as a time to increase my general fitness. In other words: stop THINKING about exercising and actually DO it!

I returned home to my celebration meal of pork belly and stir fried veg, 90% lindt chocolate and a glass of prosseco! (Celebrating ain’t wot it used to be!)

Take heart everyone, we’ll all get there in the end.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Wise words Verano and woohoo Shadynook and Daisiesmum, double woohoo!!👏👏

• posted by topcac
    on

Wow shadynook – those are awesome results and I bet that half the population (without T2) don’t have BS results of 39 – that’s amazing – well done!! And the weight loss can’t be bad either – you should feel extremely proud of yourself.

And Daisiesmum – I feel a bit like I’ve been waiting for this appointment with you, following your journey to target, wanting to get there before yesterday – and you did!! And it paid off in spades – doing a happy dance with you 🙂

My 2lb gain over the weekend is stubbornly sticking around – it will not derail me, it will not derail me – don’t think about the two boxes of chocolate in the office cupboard….do NOT think about them….

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone

Daisiesmum that’s really great news. Amazing how we now see a ‘celebration’. Wonderful isn’t it !! Reading through your post made me realise that I’ve lost my focus.

When I started BSD 6 months ago, it was because I have diabetes and a friend of mine , who also has diabetes, had lost one toe in 2015 and was having a problem with a second one. So I started to research and found and read ‘ the book’ and decided that I needed to lose a minimum of 10% of my body weight in order to control my diabetes and with the eventual aim of coming off metformin.

Today, I seem to be more concerned about the weight itself than the reasons for losing it. In part, I think this is because my HbA1c was ‘normal’ at my last review in late October. Since then I’ve stuck to the principles of LCHF but have only lost a further 5lbs!!! I still have lots that I could lose but seem to be on the 1lb on/off merry-go-round.

I need to get back to weighing food, logging and planning but keeping my main goal in focus …. controlling, or even reversing, my diabetes.

Have a good day.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi all, thank you everyone for your kind words and congratulations, I am definitely doing the happy dance!

VERANO yes it is easy to get singularly focused on weight loss when there’s so much more to living la vida healthy. The weight loss payoff gives us a real boost, but a gain or even static scales can send us down in the dumps if we’re not careful. For all my successes I still have a way to go in the area of fitness. I have lost my focus there completely and the occasional walk or HIIT is not where I want to be. So my goals for this next phase are to set a regular exercise routine and focus on fitness. I think it is especially important if I want to come off my bp meds altogether! I’m hoping that being able to eat a few more calories will give me more energy; that combined with my higher thyroxine dose!

I’m off to dig out my exercise gear… now, where DID I put those leg warmers…

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

I always feel so positive reading through everyone’s achievements be they long term goals, or small step by step changes. I have felt my head hasn’t been in the right place since new year. I haven’t really gone hugely off plan just a little here and there but this last week the focus has returned and I now weigh in at 9stone 12lbs just 5lbs from final goal weight.

This afternoon is my visit to the nurse for my HBA1C results, when I came in at over 9 in October and the doctor wanted to add Gliclazide in addition to my metformin, I said NO and that was when I started my BSD journey. Feeling nervous and excited! but buoyed by everyone elses good news

• posted by topcac
    on

Cleverblonde – best of luck to you for this afternoon’s appointment – hope to be doing a happy dance for you later too!!! Let us know how you get on – we’re all rooting for you!! xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Fingers crossed for you Cleverblonde!

on

Hi everyone, all the best for your appointment Cleverblonde. Don’t forget to let us know the results, i’m sure you wont.

I have had my worst result since starting the plan. I have in the past gained a pound or stuck but even during holiday I have never gone over the pound, then Christmas and New Year I put on 4.5 lb quite acceptable considering I can usually gain half a stone. When I came back I set about losing the 4.5 and lost 4 lbs in one week. Yeeee. And now I have put 2.5 lbs of that back on this week. So my weight loss for 2 weeks is one pound. It is still a loss. But now for the future.

Something is going wrong so let’s take a look. 4 lbs in one week was probably quite a bit of fluid, then alcohol, maybe half a bottle of wine on Saturday and a vodka and tonic is maybe 600 extra calories, say the same for Sunday – that means I have been having 1400 daily over the weekend. There is the answer but I can also say I have restarted an afternoon snack (only needed it if I was swimming) that’s about 100 calories and my evening snack which is planned has probably not been measured so instead of weighing out 2 oz of chicken I have just grabbed a leg or a thigh or a handful of breast (ohhh missus). There you go, on really bad days probably having 1400 cals and on good days around 1000. Problem solved.

There is a lovely French terms, a word I love – Desormais (also a song) which means ‘from now on’ and that is going to be my watch word. Today I have had scrambled egg breakfast, ploughman’s for lunch and having pork in mustard sauce for dinner. I have swum for half an hour, so I am getting back into the routine. I think many of us are finding it hard to make the transition back to everyday life after the excesses of the holidays.

Motivation. I have just looked at the calendar it is exactly 8 weeks to my next HbA1c – I can do this. I want to lose 7lbs too. I was planning too far ahead to my next holiday with 3 months to get to a goal, it is too long, needs be closer and serious.

Lets keep on keeping on….

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Aw, sunshinegirl, don’t lose heart – I was alarmed by how much time it took me to get back in the groove after Christmas with my weight continuing to go in the wrong direction. I DEFINITELY benefited from having a shorter term goal. Putting myself under pressure for yesterday’s Dr apt worked wonders and paid dividends! You can do it!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

When I was writing my post this morning I was thinking about you as well. I know we are both struggling a little at the moment but just look at your BG, which is what it’s all about really. You have done amazingly well in that area …. and surely that should be the main focus!

Like you I have made a plan for today. Back to Fatsecret for logging, breakfast was total, strawberries and 10g of walnuts. Lunch will be salmon with salad and as we speak I have a huge pan of tomato sauce bubbling away to have with my courgetti tonight. I even feel excited to be back on track.

Now I’m going to sit down and read through the recipe book for inspiration. Think I’ve just got into a rut with my food and it has all become a big boring…. but Desormais … I’ll be the new Nigella!!

Have a good day.

on

Thanks Verano, I have also realised that although I don’t have the dreaded monthlies any more I still get bloated around the 15th of the month for a few days. Also, I brought back 2 kg of Cheddar and have been having that as my snack several evenings until I realised what I was doing and totting the calories, even around 40 grams is about 160 cals. Then there is the one coffee per day which has turned into 2, and the cold afternoons when hubby asks if I want something and I ask for a hot chocolate drink (low fat, OMG)……. okay I have been making lots of silly mistakes.

Like you I am back to logging and even noticed that if I have my 10grm dark chocolate tonight I will nearly be up to 800 cals so will not be able to have an evening snack so I am swapping that 50 cals for 2 small slices of ham at around 60 cals. That takes me to exactly 800. No more mistakes. I am also back to exercising which I haven’t done since we got back as I have not felt well enough. No more excuses.

Lets all do our very best.

• posted by Cara54
    on

I’ve been trying to get to grips with this diet since the start of October. In that time I’ve lost about 8lbs which isn’t what I expected when I started.
    To all those who are struggling with it I completely sympathise. It’s difficult to find the motivation so we have to dig deep and it will be worth it in the end.
    To everyone who is getting good results at the doctor’s and on the scales I’m so impressed. I hope I can follow your lead.

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

The results are in!

I was met by the nurse with a huge smile on her face. In 3 months my hba1c has gone from 76 (9.1) to 49 (6.6) my BMI from 26 to 23 with a weight loss of 8 kilos.

My full diabetic review is March and I would love to lower this further, hopefully enough to discuss reducing my meds, so something else to aim for in the next 2 months.

I told her that I was following BSD and had no negative comments at all. This works everyone, when I am having a rough few days I will remind myself of what this is doing for my health.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh well done, Cleverblonde, so very pleased for you 🙂

Keep up the good work and we’ll look forward to even better news after your full review in March.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Cleverblond – well done you!!! I trust you are doing the victory dance. It’s such a great feeling to get tangible results other than weight loss isn’t it? Taking care of our health is so empowering, genetically I am in the High Risk category for T2D so I’m really excited to find a way of life to minimise the risk and that’s before you take all the other benefits of BSD into account. I hope you blow them away with your results in March.

Short-medium term goals are a great help to me. My tasks at the moment are to work out a sustainable maintenance plan, keep my weight under control for my birthday in mid Feb and then to have such good fitness I am able to stop my BP meds altogether!

Keep the faith everyone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.