'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sumo – in fact you should find that you sleep better with this way of life. I have certainly found I sleep more soundly and only wake if I need a bathroom visit. Think most people find this to be the case.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I deffo sleep better on this diet..but i also take magnesium a few hrs before bed..maybe that would help you? X
    SUNNYB how are you doing? Am sure i read somewhere yesterday that all’s going very well for you x ( sorry but i ger mixed up sometimes coz so much to read!) i hope thats right? X

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Having had a wobble last week and a few days off the plan (though still eating low cal, low carb) I have lost .2 of a kilo. I don’t quite know how to register this on my chart as it it less than quarter of a pound. But I have reached 75 kg, a nice round number. Looking forward to seeing the 5 (as in 75) disappear and become a 4.

When I say ‘off the plan’ I mean wine was involved.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Yowser, yes it’s going okay. Has been a bit slow, but in all honesty, I have taken my eye off the ball over the last couple of weeks, so an average loss of half a pound per week is fine. I have six weeks of non-observance coming up, with a wedding in Edinburgh at the end of this week and then five weeks in Turkey. Will be sticking as closely as I can to the BSD principles, but not expecting to lose anything between now and beginning of November. However, I will be back on the BSD bus as of the 2nd November and back to strictly counting cals and carbs, in the hope of getting down to 9st by Christmas.
    I know what you mean about so much to read, it all gets a bit scrambled in the head doesn’t it? It’s great to draw inspiration and support from the forum though and I always appreciate the interaction with fellow BSDers, which gives me a boost and helps me stick with it – especially when things are getting a bit shaky.
    Hope things continue to go well for you too. I will only be reading and posting sporadically over the next six weeks, but I’ll still be keeping the faith and hoping everyone is achieving great things.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi SUNNY! I knew there were good things happening for you and i remember now – the wedding and the holiday!
    Isnt it fab to have exciting things to look forward to?!
    I Like that you seem fairly laid back about the break and just plan to be careful foodwise,then right back onto the bus soon as you return πŸ‘πŸ» X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Yowzer – having done ten weeks away early this year, with just ketostix to tell me how I was doing and it not turning into a disaster, I feel quite comfortable about this break. Have ordered an extra supply of ketostix, so I’ll be ready to roll.
    HavingK been on the programme for so long now, I kind of have a fair measure of what I can and can’t get away with and to be honest, my attitude to food/drink and my appetite has changed so much now, I’m not nearly as fearful as I was before, of not having that tight control, measuring and quantifying everything before I consume it.
    That’s not to say I’m not going to do that again in November, but for now, I feel comfortable backing off a bit and only dropping a little or nothing each week for this more relaxed period.
    Have achieved the lions share of my aimed for loss and although I still have an ultimate goal, I’m happy to get there at a more leisurely pace.
    Will catch up and post when I can, but it will get more sporadic after tomorrow.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

For anyone who is interested my new thread (on this forum) is ‘Keeping calm and carrying on – my low-carb maintenance journey’

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Thankyou everyone for your encouragement, well weekly weigh in this morning have smashed through the 100kg barrier I am now woohoo 99.8 kg ooh joy of joys doing the jiggly dance.πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ
    End of week 11 loss this week 2.6kg total loss so far 16.56 kg, this week was very committed from Friday, so excellent results for five days, fully back on track now, feeling amazingly well, just wish I hadn’t mucked around loosing the plot for about 5 of those weeks, I would be much further down the weight loss path. But never mind focused now.
    So day of today, accounts, meal plan list for the week, and shopping.
    How are you doing and Verano weighed in yet, come on back seat girls, jump in we are all of for a lovely journey on our BSD bus. Beep beep🚌🚌🚌

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Great Lynne will be following you there, delighted for your achievement. Keep posting here to keep your focus, I have never got to target, but I’ve been told it’s the part that requires even more commitment and focus, and staying in touch with all of us will assist you with this I would imagine. Hope you have a happy week. 😊😊😊 jan

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JAN you have smashed the 100 k barrier! You smashed it,crashed it,took the joint and trashed it! Wa- hey!
    That is a very good feeling psychologically to be under 100!πŸ‘πŸ» x
    SUNNYB Keep in touch when you can and look forward to hearing all yr news x
    CAPTAINLYNNE altho am far from maintenance ,will be v interested to hear The Continuing Story of CaptainLynne!
    Xx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Yowser
    Thankyou luvvy, I must admit I’m feeling very floaty today, you know in a wafty way, not dizzy. How are you doing.
    😎😎😎

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh JAN thats lovely having a floaty feeling! Ive had a few floaty moments over the last 9 weeks!
    Doesnt It feel nice!!! I want more of them..sometimes these days i feel so light that I get a surprise when i see myself in the mirror looking…weelll,as my dad would say…rather stout!
    Horrid word that!
    Anyway lets sing the Nimble loaf song Jan! And fly off in our hot air ballloooons!
    🎀 She flies like a bird in the sky -y – y !🎀 🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈 xx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I agree Janet. Found that posting on here does help. We don’t get face to face support from a slimming club leader or members, so the support of these forums is great. It’s certainly helped me to stay on track and that’s one reason why I’m continuing to post πŸ˜ƒ

Happy to hear your news, and that you’re back on track πŸ˜ƒπŸ’

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yeaaa Yowser
    🎼🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀

• posted by Sumo
    on

I think as my first target is 5stone I should break this down in to stone goals that way the next target is never too far away, and give me more chances of the yes feeling?

• posted by Frog
    on

Wow Jan that’s brilliant – congratulations
    sorry, I missed your post this morning, I must have been looking at another thread

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sumo – you may want to try even smaller goals – half stone, down into next stone number, clothes size etc. Each success helps along the way πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sumo, there’s a brilliant mini goal thread. It’s always good to feel like you’ve achieved success. My first one is to reach the weight that I was at the start of the year. In my mind, I set myself the target of reaching it by the end of the month, but in fact I might achieve it with a few days to spare. Anything that’s meaningful to you will do, just don’t make it too big.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/whats-your-next-mini-goal/

And congratulations, greenjanet. You must feel really pleased.

• posted by LainieUK
    on

I don’t post much but I love reading all the posts.

I’m on day 39 and have lost 18.7lbs in that time (17st 12.6-16st 7.9). I cannot believe it. I never thought I could stick to 800 calories and I never thought I’d have such a high weight loss.

I’m loving 800 calories – I’m having really healthy and tasty meals and not having calories for snacks means I don’t even think about them. At last I feel that I have a really effective route to getting down to a healthy weight. Even my hubby has noticed the loss – he says in my face (so noticeable), my backside and my arms. It’s so nice to fit easily into my clothes, it’s so nice to have choice. I’m really excited about the future and even if my weightloss drops off, I know that by Xmas I’ll be in the 14 stone bracket – I’ve not been there for almost 8 years.

All those fad diets that are constantly promoted and here is Michael Mosley selling a book for just over Β£3 and no cost to use his website and forum. That man needs an award for what he’s given me and others. I know this might sound over emotional but I really feel SO grateful that I stumbled across this approach. I cannot believe I didn’t come across this earlier as I follow all his programmes. But at least I found it eventually.

And finally thanks to everyone who posts – your successes have really spurred me on.

Elaine xx

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Lainie I think you speak for us all! More and more of my friends are trying it and loving it.

• posted by Tizzie
    on

Lainie!
    I feel pretty much the same way.
    Exciting isn’t it?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Glad Youre Enjoying it LAINIE and seeing great success!
    Yes thank goodness forMM! X

• posted by Snoop
    on

Likewise, Elaine. I’d never have thought I’d feel so satisfied on 800 calories. When it’s good food, it’s a real pleasure and I’ve easily turned down temptation (so far). One of the other benefits I’ve noticed is a significantly improved sense of smell, probably from not drinking alcohol. And how much better I feel and sleep for that!

And yes, three cheers for Michael Mosley!

• posted by healthychange
    on

Hi all,
    Firstly congrats LainieUK, what a fantastic loss!

I woke up this morning to a 1.25lb loss, so IVE FINALLY LOST 1 STONE! If you can’t tell, I’m pretty excited about that!
    Today is day 41, and although my weight loss is slower than others, I’m so proud of my progress!
    Only 2.5lb to go until the next stone bracket, can’t wait to see my weight start with a 10.
    Hope everyone has a great day
    -Healthychange

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Hi all, need some advice on carbs and fiber. I’m finishing week 3 on the diet, and am sliding into all of my clothes much easier, but have only lost 3-4 pounds. And 3 were in the first week! The fourth pound came back on after I had dessert at my folks house on Sunday. I lost it within 2 days this week. It’s back on now because I’ve got my monthly, er, visitor, though I’ve had no treats except some dark chocolate that I counted. I have been keeping my carbs under 50 for the past 2 weeks (except on that Sunday) and calories between 750-850 on average. My fiber is usually pitiful at around 10 for the day (yesterday was 4!)

I am determined to stick with this diet, but feeling impatient today. I’m sure I’ve got water retention due to hormones, and BMs are 2-3 days apart now as opposed to daily in the past. I love fruits and veggies, but have cut out most fruit, and no grains. Maybe a flax pita a few times a week which only has 60 calories and 4 carbs. Haven’t had beans in a while…maybe I’ll try having a heavier carb day once a week…from veggies and lower GI fruits? Water consumption has been pretty good.. I exercised every day last week with HIT workouts, walks and runs alternating throughout the week. Exercised yesterday and the day before, but missed Sunday through Tuesday.

I started at 75.9kg and am now at 74. I’m tallish at 5’8. I feel that I’ve been pretty strict, and I bet the scale will move in a day or two once my hormones settle, but oh this feels tedious!

Anyone have thoughts on which direction I should go? Up a little on carbs or down? Or stay where I’m at and be patient? I don’t know how to improve the fiber situation if I go down to 25-30 carbs as I’ve seen some do.

Anyway, still very committed, I’m sure patience is still needed. Have redoubled efforts in the last 2 days to be sure my measurements for foods are exact.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am looking at how to increase my fibre myself, I’m on a bit of a mini-plateau with my weight that may be ‘digestive transit’ related and fibre seems to be quite low when I look at my averages. I’ve consciously started to try to add higher fibre foods to my diet and fingers crossed that will help.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Tabletalk I feel your pain. Cannot bear problems in that department myself and introduced Psyllium husk since I have been doing this. If you look at it it looks a bit carby but you do not digest it. Introduce it gradually if you do and keep up the water

Other points.

You are not very heavy, so won’t lose as fast as those of us who have more pounds to lose, and I remember ‘lady pounds’ could be as many as 5- more than 2 kg – when I was young and SLIM. Your BMI is normal or almost, so I think you have to be a bit patient.

My other suggestion is more low starch vegies, cauli stalks and broccoli stalks as well as the flowers. If you look at Prof Taylor’s original experiment he used shakes for the protein and fat but they had to eat 200 calories of low starch veg, which is quite a lot

Good luck
    Ruth

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Lainie, congratulations, and healthychange also. I never lost a stone before except after childbirth so it is pretty exciting.

greenjan yeah!

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Thanks ruthdownunder, I will look into the psyllium and I think I’ve gotten into a slump of few veggies or lots of lettuce but not enough other veggies to make a difference. It is a challenge to eat that many veggies for sure! But I love them, so it’s not a bother, just work to buy and prep it all. Also encouraging thoughts on the “lady pounds” and slow weight loss.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

This week, first of maintenance, I’ve lost another 2 pounds – total loss now 94 pounds – taking me 3 pounds below target. *thinks* – need to work harder at maintaining 😱

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Lynne
    Yes, I’m having the same issue. Target was 63kg, weighed in last Wednesday, 1 week later and I’m another 1.5kg down!!
    I must admit I’m struggling to eat more of the same foods and wondering if I need to introduce more carbs and just cut out the sugar??
    I’ll be interested to see what you do next.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Linda. *waves*

On a different thread someone said I was a ‘maintenance loser’ – so are youπŸ˜ƒπŸ’

Like you I’m finding it hard to eat more of the same foods. Bought more low-carb veg and some berries and Greek yogurt this morning. I’m reluctant to increase the carbs at the moment because I don’t want to risk raising my blood sugar. When I’m more settled into maintenance I’ll start experimenting again and testing foods to see what (if any) effect they have on my blood sugar now.

I’ll be commenting on my ‘keeping calm and carrying on’ thread on this forum. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by lmp98
    on

Hi everyone,
    Well done on all the successes, and thanks for all the support. Like Lainie, I don’t post much but do read everyone’s comments.
    End of 8 weeks and I’ve lost 15lb. Not as much as some but I’m now 12st 4 so as some of you have pointed out to others my loss is likely to be slower.
    Also I was on holiday so had a couple of weeks in the middle where I had a lot of meals out with friends and managed to stick to the principles and still lost 1/2lb each week. I had a bit of a blowout last weekend for a friend’s birthday and danced the night away so although the scales say I’ve lost 1/2lb this week I know I’ve also lost the 3lb I put back on!!

Finding it easier now I’m back at work, although I’m not logging everything on an app but doing the principles – aiming for 800cals and not beating myself if I do have an extra slice of cheese of couple of walnuts so I’m sure it could be faster but this feels not too stressful!

Target is to try to get to 11st 7 by half term in 5 weeks time. 11lb to shift.
    Can we do this? YES WE CAN!!

Come on BSD team, keep on keeping on 😁
    L xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Congrats IMP on completing 8 weeks! Its a great feeling of accomplishment isn’t it!
    I wd LOVE to be yr weight! Good luck with yr next goal ..i am sure you’ ll reach it,just keep focused x

• posted by Sumo
    on

Good morning, my starting weight was 25s and 1/2lb, my weight after one week was 24s and 2lb total loss of 12.5lb, I am both pleased and gutted at the same time, I had reached this weight by day 5 and thought I was on a run for a stone in my first week but took my eye of the ball and drifted up a bit, endeavour now to get into the 23 stone bracket this week?.

Those in maintenance congrats in achieving your goals, you first aim is to achieve a stable weight, which even though you have upped your intake may take a while, once achieved then you get to decide, stay lower than target or increase input a little and see where that settles, the science I understand it is putting into practice where I have been lacking

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Hi everyone. I lost 3lbs this week (week 5). Total loss 21 lbs. BMI down to 36.9 started at over 40. I have to confess I have not increased my exercise much so that is my focus this week. It has been so motivating reading all your results and it’s great to know weight loss keeps going as you get lighter.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hi guys

Week 16 another 2lbs lost so off last weeks plateau

Really bad arthritis flare up in my knee so no exercising this week, very annoying as have been doing all the right knee strengthening exercises over the last months which is supposed to stop this sort of thing. Don’t like the pain and lack of mobility looking sadly at my lovely trainers,

• posted by Sumo
    on

First few days felt really hungry, this eased a bit through the week, but still there.
    I weed for Britain for the first 2-3 days which is probably most of my weight loss; I had oedema of the lower leg which seems to have gone? Not sure but maybe sugar aids the body to retain fluid, there is some research that suggest high sugar and salt intake can cause water retension?
    Even though my wife is sceptical she has started cooking again, as she has been of food for some time, due to one of her migraine medications has that side effect.
    She is cooking low cal meals, her normal Chilli/ Bolognese, curries etc. are skinnier than those in the BSD book, the big difference is my wife can get fantastic balanced flavour, where I cannot? A skill passed to her from her grandmother, who learnt her skills whilst in India as an Army wife pre WWII
    So even though my wife remains sceptical she is helping me anyway?

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Hi LindaA *waves from Castle Hill*

I’m the one who called Lynne a ‘maintenance loser’, it’s a bit exciting that you’re one too! I have aspirations in that area πŸ˜ƒ

I’ve followed your journey with interest. I started 3 months after you, with very similar goals, so thanks for leading the charge!

I think you’ve read Sweet Poison? I’ve been thinking about 5:2 and maintenance -still in the future for me (13kg down, 7kg to go) and wondering if Mediterranean with an eye on low fructose might be the way to go? Have you considered/tried this? Or do you think it’s better to just stick with an ‘all sugar’ or ‘all carbs’ rule?

When I think about increasing calories to stop losing, more healthy fats always seems like the easy answer – though it is hard to throw off years of programmed guilt!

I’ll be very interested to read how you decide to manage maintenance. And again, thanks for forging the way! x

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hey Kookaburra
    Thank you for your kind words. I feel like I’ve breezed through this way of eating and if I can help others by my example, I’m happy to do soπŸ˜€
    We’re practically neighbours, I’m in Warrawee!
    Yes, I’ve read Sweet Poison, Eat Real Food and Toxic Oil, all by David Gillespie and now that I’m on maintenance (still not very successfully I might add as I’m still losing weight!), I’m trying to follow the no fructose, no polyunsaturated oils regime and eat like our great grandparents would have. I didn’t like the idea of 5:2 and decided to just eat the same way 7 days a week.

My problem as I’ve said before is that I’m still losing weight (now down 1.9kg from my goal weight of 63kg) so I’m now trying to increase my fat levels by eating more nuts and full fat yoghurt and I’ve increased the amount of rolled oats I have in the morning from 30g to 45g. I also seem to have olive oil with everything I eat at dinner, either with veges or salad.

I’m still avoiding all potatoes, pasta, bread etc, although I admit I made some banana bread with wheat flour for the tradies that were here the other day (with dextrose instead of brown sugar) and I had a small piece with butter. I was a bit worried that after so long without flour it might react badly, but I was fine!

I’m still walking every day as well as there are other benefits besides the weight loss. Do you walk/exercise much?

7 kg to go, you’ll get there well before Summer starts, woo hoo, keep it up.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Linda, I am taking my fitbit flex for its 10000 steps a day. If it is daylight (ie: not today, going to be in the dark!) then I walk in a nearby reserve with lots of kookaburras, hence the name (and also I like that it’s Aussie and expresses how happy I am with this WOE!). I try to do some runs up any steps during the walk, and some pushups and dips on benches every now and then, but that’s about it for exercise at the moment. Feel like I should get more serious and add HIIT and more BSD book strength exercises at some stage, but I probably won’t grit my teeth on that one until I hit the next nasty plateau!
    Don’t you love that your ‘problem’ is that you’re eating well and still losing weight?!? Did you ever image yourself saying that! I think I’d like that problem πŸ˜ƒ
    Off for my steps now, cheers!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

(lost my post by pressing the back button so here goes again)
    Looks like I have stuck this week and still weigh in at 75kg. When I look back on my diet chart and see the 80.9 I was (I lost 1kg before BSD but it took me 3 months) I am so happy at how far I have come. Most important my blood glucose this morning was 100 (5.5) so nearly perfect.

Keep on keeping on

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Hi Sunshine, I love your user name. Brilliant on the blood glucose! Keep on keeping on, the beastly 75s will be behind you soon! x

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Good news SUMO!ANGIEBABE! and SCHNITZEL on the weight losses x and SUNSHINE on blood glucoses! X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done everyone who has recorded a loss this week. I have just come home from 5 days in Edinburgh and am content to report no movement up or down, despite meals out and a good few drams of good scotch malt whisky! Tomorrow we head off to Turkey and five weeks R&R I’m hoping to be able to maintain through that time and then get back to losing on my return – wish me luck. I will dip in and see what’s happening occasionally whilst away, but I won’t be posting very often, so hope everyone continues to make good progress and I look forward to reading all the news.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

SUNNY well done on enjoying some treats but still not gainingπŸ‘πŸ»
    Have a fab time in Turkey,see you when you get back x

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just had my 10 wk weigh in ..have lost 39 lb ..2 stone 11 lbs in 70 days and gone down into another stone bracket,which is always a great feeling! Woohoo onwards and downwards! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ x

• posted by Imogen
    on

Congratulations Yowser – great lossπŸ†πŸ‘πŸ’

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well done Yowzer. Great result πŸ˜ƒπŸ’πŸŽˆ

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fantastic results Yowzer, congratulations πŸ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.