Why I feel like crying after doing meditation?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mantishugo
    on

When I do meditation for 15 minutes, then I feel like crying. I get very emotional. I don’t get that. Could you please tell me why do I get such emotional after-effect of doing meditation?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Mantishugo — although I cannot answer your question directly, I have a couple thoughts on this issue based on my own journey so far (about 14 weeks on BSD). One of the things I have noticed is that I have changed as much mentally as I have physically — an outcome I never expected and I find surprising. I know that every person on these posts has struggled with weight for a long time or we wouldn’t be here! We all have had the frustrating experience in the past that good intentions and the best goal-setting aren’t enough because we either didn’t lose weight or we lost it and then regained the weight. Or we just went in circles day after day feeling terrible physically and terrible about ourselves for failing. It all feels so out-of-control and defeating. The BSD gives us a place where we can finally set that whole conflicting mess down, commit to a new and workable plan and calm our scattered minds. The warm support from all the other people posting here also reminds us we are not alone and the diet we are following is both “doable” and effective. All of that brings on some strong emotions and it is my guess you are responding to all of that. And, also, now that you aren’t wasting all your mental energy on the frustration, your brain is freed-up to think about new things — a wonderful, liberating outcome.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

mantishugo
    Perhaps because meditation gives you a rare and focussed awareness of you? You are focussing on the ‘breath of life’ after all so you can’t get much more in tune. Importantly meditation teaches you to “let go” so clearly can allow emotional release. It’s also why meditation has a spiritual dimension for many – you can feel in touch with the universe [whatever that means!].

With practice you *may* get used to the emotional side, but be aware that not everyone is comfortable with that aspect of meditation, and perhaps get personal guidance if it is troubling. I have a friend who is frightened of doing it because he literally doesn’t want to be alone with his thoughts. There are other forms of mindfulness, like yoga, or simply practising an activity with focus that might be more appropriate for others.

On a simple breathing level meditation can be very moving as the breath holds many emotions. I surprised myself recently doing the MBSR course and trying a ‘Loving Kindness’ meditation, where you bring to mind those you love, by getting teary during the meditation. I have another story about a guided meditation and being given a gift a the end of a journey which felt all too real and was a [longed for] child … 9 months later guess what? [tears right now at the memory]. So for me that enhanced emotional awareness and release is a very positive aspect of meditation.

• posted by FabEllie
    on

Hi Mantishugo, I don’t think it’s an unusual reaction, maybe it’s a way for your body to release subliminal tension. Sometimes we get so used to the presence of stress in our life that it almost becomes a normal feeling and we stop recognising it. I find meditation helps to remove that conscious barrier and helps expel stubborn negative energy. At my most difficult times I often found a good cry was therapeutic.

• posted by mantishugo
    on

Thank you guys for the explanation. I will keep doing the meditation and will share my experience here. Another question that arises in my mind during the meditation that I should give up eating non-veg food. But in my family it is a tradition to be a meat eater. I like the taste but I also feel guilty of eating such food. Why?! I don’t know… I have started eating fruits and juices I had never heard before, such as organic noni juice! I think the meditation has already started changing me from inside out.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

I have a friend who also doesn’t like being ‘alone with own thoughts’, instead of mediation they set aside time for those adult colouring -in books. She says its relaxing but not as emotional for her as mediation.
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with a good cry either, well stated FabEllie.

• posted by Avila
    on

The colouring is a good option – it involves enough concentration to take you away from other thoughts and worries. Not all sorts of meditation suit everyone – and the stillness can allow difficult past emotions through, the kind that we lock away for sanity’s sake. Whilst it can be good to process those, usually alongside someone counsellor if linked to a traumatic time. Of course not all ’emotional’ moments in meditation are due to that, but it is always worth baring in mind.

Find the quiet spaces and ways that suit you, rather than push yourself into a pattern that doesn’t fit.

• posted by Haylie
    on

Hi mantishugo,
    I have experienced the same you have – I also feel like crying after meditating. I think it’s also connected to being really relaxed and allowing yourself to feel all the emotions. In my opinion that’s a good thing and can be really helpful for letting go the negative things in your life!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am currently doing an online university (Monash Melbourne Australia) course and the first thing they tell you is the possible effects. I can release strong emotions especially if you already have some problems. It tells you not to do it if you are severely depressed or psychotic. I assume you are not these but maybe you need some guidance. Log onto FutureLearn.com and see if you can register for this 4 week course, it only started on Monday and it is totally free. I am not advertising as I have no vested interest but I have also done courses on The Diabetes Epidemic and Nutrition for Healthy Life and so on. All courses are well respected educators, no catches, no charges and no bulls%%t

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Feeling like crying after meditation should not be a surprise. Meditation by it’s very nature, is a route into our deep mental/emotional and spiritual levels and so we cannot expect the only outcome to be peaceful relaxation, but that emotional release may also manifest as tears, anger, or agitation as negativity is released. As a Reiki practitioner, these are often seen as an emotional reactions in treatment – reiki correlating to meditation in that they both work on a mental/emotional/spiritual level. As you progress with your meditation, you will hopefully find this settles and the experience will become a more relaxing peaceful experience.

Meanwhile, no reason not to mix it up with other things which offer a route to mindfulness though – colouring, exercise, simple breathing exercises, etc.

• posted by LisaMerlo
    on

In some way it may be god for your health…mental health as well. If the meditation may be a course of your tears, that mean it works for you. Anyway, some people can’t meditate at all, so, you are a lucky one.

Please log in or register to post a reply.