'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Sumo
    Welcome and congratulations for starting, believe me, one of the hardest things to do is start and you’ve done it and you’re doing phenomenally well. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I reached my goal weight 2 weeks ago after losing 26.9kg over 20 weeks. All of it doing 800 cals per day. Since then I’ve actually struggled to eat much more per day and have lost another 1.4kg in the last 2 weeks!
    I’ve decided to continue with not eating sugar as the research that I’ve done indicates that this is what got me obese in the first place and I’m determined not to go back there again. I’m upping my fat, complex carbs and protein consumption, but I’m just not that hungry!
    Once you are over the first week, you should find this relatively easy if you stick with the plan.
    What helped me was that I weighed, measured and recorded everything I ate and drank.
    I drank at least 3 litres of non calorie fluid per day, mostly herbal teas.
    I stuck to under 50g of complex carbs per day and stayed well clear of all the simple carbs eg everything white!
    I did a minimum of 10,000 steps per day
    I ate fat without being afraid of it and kept away from all low fat/lite products.
    Most importantly, I read the forum every day and got lots if inspiration from those that came before me.
    Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions as there is always someone that will help you.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

What a great post LindaA ๐Ÿ™‚

Well done on your stats, you must be absolutely thrilled ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you covered all the main points BSDers should think about, fab summary. And I would only add – as I’ve done on another thread this morning because I think it’s so important – that anyone here should MEASURE either with a tape measure, or with clothes. (Clothes can be better, because you can never find a tape – or at least I can’t – but you can always find a pair of jeans that you’d love to fit in, but are too tight…..)

Because one of the odd things that does happen is that the weight doesn’t necessarily move but the measurements – particularly on the waist – do. This must be the visceral fat melting away (and being washed out of the body by all the fluid ;)) and since it’s what we’re all here for, what good news is that.

Prepare to have a very different figure than you started with!

Good luck to all ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sumo
    on

โ€ข Thanks for the replies forgot to add, even though my wife is a sceptic, she took my starting measurements and photo and saved them on her complicated phone, I am sure it can be used to make calls? My waist was 60.5inches, as I said round, not quite as round as tall but not that far off? I am not counting my steps, as I have a dog to walk for an hour each day and have taken up aqua fit twice a week, as my knees are both cream crackered, the aqua fit suites me at the moment until the weight loss makes other exercise less painful, my wife and son are also trying to keep to 800cals but not avoiding the sugary carbs, so an ideal test of the science?
    โ€ข Just started a note book, thanks for the reminder.
    Inside me is a skinny guy trying to get out?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Igorasusal
    Yes, you are right about measuring. I didn’t do it with a tape, but I wish I had, although it was nice to see the clothes getting bigger. I’ve gone from a 16 to a 10 in jeans and I can hardly believe it yet๐Ÿ˜ฑ. It’s like my mind hasn’t caught up to my new body and I recognise that I’m going to have to be careful and consciously focus on maintaining and not to continue losing.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Sumo
    Can you manage to download a calorie counting app? (I use EasyDietDiary, but a lot of others use My Fitness Pal). It will make your life a whole lot easier to keep track of not just calories but carbs as well.
    Linda

• posted by Sumo
    on

Linda
    Thanks will take a look when I get home

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Linda re the size 10 jeans!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I recognise the ‘just can’t quite believe it’ syndrome and the shock when you catch sight of yourself in a mirror.

I can proudly state that I bought a pair of size 8 Zara jeans over the weekend, but found that when I got them home that they weren’t as snug as I’d thought, and I still need to wear a belt as they kept slipping down. :0

Keep on keeping on, everybody! Look forward to seeing the skinny guy getting out from in there, Sumo!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Linda
    Brilliant maintenance ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ delighted for you, keep us posted re your maintenance plan. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

• posted by Sumo
    on

I am hoping that the headaches are sugar withdrawal and will stop soon? I am drinking plenty.

• posted by lis1234
    on

Hi all,

i went of the fast800 BSD diet after advice from my doctor because of high blood pressure (but not high enough for medication). I’m just heading in to my third week and wanted some feedback on the weight loss i’ve had so far, is this normal or should I expect more?

Week 1 – 3.6kg weight loss
    Week 2 – 0.7kg weight loss

I’m a vegetarian and struggling to keep protein content up and carbs lower – does anyone have any tips?

Lis

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Lis1234
    Firstly, great news that it was your doctor who directed you towards the BSD. Secondly, please don’t measure yourself against anyone else, we all lose at different rates. Thirdly you are looking at over 4kg in two weeks and I would say this is worth celebrating. You can expect to lose quite a bit more in the first week than in subsequent weeks and you can expect the rate of loss to change week on week – sometimes more and sometimes less.
    You don’t say if you eat dairy and eggs, if so these are a great sauce of protein with both cheese and eggs being a good sauce of protein and offering lots of options for adding protein to meals. As for the carb issue, only use small amounts of pulses and root veg as these are carb heavy. However you can use plenty of leaf veggies and those that grow above ground, as their carb content is lower.
    Hopefully others will come forward with suggestions too, to give you more options, but keep doing what you have been, as you are seeing results and this will continue as long as you keep an eye on calories and carbs. Good Luck!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thought I would post my weekly result. Again only half a pound lost this week, but again, a lot going on over the w/e, which whilst it hasn’t completely derailed me, has not helped with keeping to the BSD as tightly as I would like. That said, I’m happy to have made a loss again and am now concentrating on spending the next three days sticking strictly to BSD.
    Thursday we fly up to Edinburgh for a four day visit and a friend’s wedding. Then we have two days at home, before flying to Turkey, so after this Wednesday, it will be a case of best endeavour for six weeks! I am determined to come home on 2nd Nov pretty much as I left, but am not going to stress about putting on a pound or two, as I know on my return I can get back on track and lose that and more. Wish me luck though!!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Good luck, SunnyB, and have a really good time.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Week 15 but no loss this week for the first time. Obviously disappointed but I think I can pinpoint the reasons – firstly my carbs have been drifting up to 60s rather than under 50, secondly dinner at friends threw me as they are veggie and it was carb heavy- remember pastry! -thirdly my knees are playing up very painful osteoarthritis so less walking saving energy for essentials like running the house and fourthly feeling generally off colour.

So taking a few days to be kind to me and try and regroup. It’s a shame as I’ve been feeling so well up to now and have at the back of my mind is the autoimmune stuff rearing its head again- you know that feeling waiting for the other shoe to drop? Will go shopping and buy a few food treats low carb of course I’m thinking crab with avocado so I don’t drift back to sugar etc.

It’s about learning to deal with the bad days as well as the good I guess

• posted by Hiho
    on

Just completed week one 10.5 lbs lighter cannot quite believe it I am seriously overweight so hence the big number but still I’m super happy to start week 2. Loving this chat page

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the best wishes Snoop.

Angiebabe – it sounds like you know where the problems lay and it is often the carb thing that makes us plateau. Yes do be kind to yourself and take sometime to refocus. Isn’t it great that we start to think of food treats in terms of yummy low carb options? Crab and avocado sounds delicious. Was at a tea party for my grand daughter’s sixth birthday yesterday and although there was a chocolate fountain, I went for cocktail sausages and cheese dip! Seems to me you are dealing with the bad days very well indeed. Keep us posted on your progress and I hope you will soon be feeling fitter and in control again.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Get that crab and avocado Angiebabe – so sorry you’re not feeling well.

Great loss Hiho!!

I’m loving the chat too!!

• posted by lis1234
    on

Thanks Sunny B! Yes, I eat dairy eggs/cheese etc… but I find they’re also quite high in fat so I’ve been trying to eat more pulses but I guess that’s why I’m struggling with the carbohydrates! Congrats on your continued weight loss by the way!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Jan, will do๐Ÿ˜€
    If I can do it, you can too!
    The only thing between you and the end result is time and that will progress either way. May as well make it a positive result!โŒš๏ธ
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Sumo
    The headaches are due to carb withdrawal, and possible caffeine reduction, to counteract this drink at least 3 litres and try to add in a bit extra salt. As your body will be depleted of salt at the mo. Hope that helps.
    Regards jan

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi lis1234
    Don’t be afraid of fat, it’s more important to keep your carbs down and fat is no longer the enemy!

Sumo
    Headaches are normal in the first couple of weeks, just take some Panadol and be kind to yourself. They won’t last long.
    Linda

• posted by Sumo
    on

LindA

Salt and fluids some told me about the other day, I did not realise it was caffeine free as well?

• posted by Sumo
    on

LindA

Thanks I take enough drugs, so I will take the head ache as part of the process.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

lis1234 – as long as you include the calories in the 800, fats are recommended. You will find eating full fat, that you need much less food to feel satisfied and will stay feeling sated for longer. For me, it has benefited the condition of my skin as well, when compared to how it was on low fat intake. Don’t be scared to sacrifice some of your pulses to include some cheese or an egg in some way, I’m sure you will find it helps.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Sorry sumo, no I didn’t mean the plan is caffeine free, what I meant is some people will have possibly reduced their tea and coffee consumption because of the calorie count in the milk, I for ex reduced my cups of tea from 8 down to 3 so as not to waste calories, but a caffeine withdrawal headache is always in the front of your forehead and feels like a tight band, but either way just keep your fluids up add a little extra salt, for a few days, and if this doesn’t doo the trick take a couple of paracetamol if you are permitted to take them.
    Sorry to have confused, hope hat clarifies.
    Regards jan

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The headache shouldn’t last too long Sumo. Lots of people complain of this symptom early in the process, but it will pass as your body becomes used to the new regime. Hope you will soon be feeling fitter and that you will be posting more great results soon.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh Linda
    Thankyou that is a very uplifting thought, just time passing thankyou, I’m on it now so all good, it’s such a relief to be back in the zone again
    Love Jan ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Well done, looking forward to reading your maintenance post! I think I will try to lose more than I want to so that I have some wiggle room,
    I am hoping to start today on my next bout of 800/50, I’ve only had three cups of tea today, I’m not feeling great, whenever I’m under the weather it always affects my stomach, I have had a headache since Saturday, and I have flue symptoms, so no or less food won’t harm me in the least!
    It sound intriguing, a few surprises, I hope you have recovered from your trip, sounds lik it was a bit of nightmare getting back home?
    Looking forward to,hearing from you soon.
    Christine.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Christine,

Sorry that you are feeling a little under the weather…hope you feel better soon.๐ŸŒป

• posted by shalimar
    on

I am having fun trying different types of tea … because i can drink them plain or with a little xylitol. I have to break my coffee habit because i like coffee with tons of cream (not afraid of the fat or caffeine just the calories) … going to try and cut back to 1 large cuppa in the morning!

I have had the headaches too!

I also love the sea salt crystals … from a grinding mill. You can get dollar store mills very cheaply with sea salt in them here in Canada … although trying fancy sea salts is also good.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Imogen,
    Every rainbow has a silver lining, I don’t feel like eating! I’m sure I’ll be ok soon. Thank you.
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Sumo.

Just adding to earlier replies – I’ve just got to my target weight after losing 6.5 stones in 38 weeks – all of them being on the 800 calories a day, low carb. Looking forward to seeing your results ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Christine ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Still trying to think of a name for my new thread – had an idea earlier, just need to remember what it was๐Ÿ˜ฑ Watch this space!

• posted by Sumo
    on

After you epic achievement I can think of a few
    Life after 800
    Maintenance for life
    Starting my new life (with one eye on carbs)

• posted by Sumo
    on

how much did your exercise change?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne

“Sage Lynne” would do it I should think!
    According to Dictionary.com “someone venerated for the possession of wisdom, judgment, and experience”

D

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone – thanks for the suggestions ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Sumo – my exercise didn’t really change that much. I’ve always walked, some days more than others, just going about my normal routine. What did change was the ease of walking, especially hills and stairs. Before BSD I was using a walking stick to help me get about at airports when I was going on holiday, even sometimes to help me climb the stairs at home. On two holidays last year I realised just how my mobility was becoming impaired. A few weeks ago I was on a short break – the first afternoon I walked over 4 miles, the other 2 full days I walked over 6 miles each day. With no difficulty.

Frog – makes me sound like a herb LOL๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’

How about ‘keeping on keeping on’ or ‘keep calm and carry on (low carb)’ or ‘low carb for life’ or ….. ?

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi captainlynne – congratulations on reaching your target – great result.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Orchid ๐Ÿ˜ƒ *waves*

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi all, as of Sunday I have now reached the goal I set myself in March when I signed up for the Shine 2016 Marathon Walk – I wanted to be under 70kg and 80cm waist. On Sunday the scales came in at 69.9kg. The Marathon Walk is the 24th September, so ahead of schedule.
    I am taking a break from low calories for the coming weeks and will reassess in October. My final endpoint is 69kg, BMI 23, and a dress size 12.
    I started on the 2nd February and have lost 27.6kg (4 stone 5 lbs or 61 lbs) and 27 cm (more than a quarter of a meter) or 10.6 inches off of my waist. This has been on 800 cals, 60g carbs daily and a 10 weeks stint before a 6 weeks break, then another 10 weeks stint and upping the calories to 900-1000 a day in August with 70g carbs as I was finding the activity level I was at was leaving me light headed and I needed the extra food. I have come down from a size 18-20 to a 12.
    The next focus for October will be on overall fitness, working within the plan and a likely maintenance approach of 5:2. I want to be able to do a park-run by end Jan (preferably December, weather permitting).
    Oh yes – and to the veggies and vegans on the forum – yes you can do it!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results Orchid ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒน๐ŸŽˆ

• posted by wendyq
    on

That’s brilliant Orchid,you’ve lost all that weight in such a short time!When I read stories like yours it makes me feel motivated.If you can do it so can I!Good luck for the marathon walk!

• posted by orchid
    on

Thank-you very much captainlynne and wendy.
    I still don’t recognise myself in the mirror or realise just how thin I have got. I did a spinning class today and was too late to get at the back so was at the front looking into the mirror, I look normal, fit and trim. I am so used to seeing bulges here and there, hidden if possible under baggy clothes that seeing me wearing a tight lycra shirt and bottoms was a shock. I am still a stone heavier than I was when I was in my 20’s upto mid 30’s, but I was very thin then, so I am not unhappy at this weight now. I also got a skirt out yesterday evening thinking I could make a few adjustments to it and wear it in the autumn (it was a sales buy a couple of years as a ‘target’ to aim for ago and not worn). I need to take so much off of the waist that it is not worth doing! I really will now need to empty the wardrobe. The last throw out in April was not enough. I have things that I kept thinking I could wear them in the autumn, but they are just hanging off of me now! Nice problem to have if a bit pricy. The charity shops will be getting some great stuff!

• posted by Frog
    on

Wow – got to your goals AND all your clothes are too big! that’s brilliant, well done

I’m volunteering on that Cancer Research walk, so may see you then!
    I’m a “course volunteer” – possibly near hyde park, but it could just be meeting there & then dispersed somewhere around the course!

If I don’t see you, hope that your training is going really well, and good luck for the night!

D

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hi all,

Sumo you are in the right place and will do really well after such a great start. Your significant others need to give up the sweet treats otherwise they will not have enough good nutrition with the 800 cals. Don’t give up coffee, it is not necessary, and makes life worth living. No sugar in it of course!

on

lis , you are doing really well. Lots of successful vegetarians on this plan

JaneA and Orchid, many congratulations. You are keeping me going, along with CaptainLynne and Bill and others of course.
    Gavin – fabulous!

• posted by Lety007
    on

Hi All just finished week 1 of the 800 calories…was able to limit my cofee to one cup with a dash of sugar free creamer..yuck!! Good news is I managed to lose 8lbs.. and got my husband to join me and he lost 5lbs..yay

on

Lety007 that is fantastic for you and OH. Why not put a dash of real whole milk or cream in your coffee, so there is no yuck factor?

Keep up the good work.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Orchid.
    Absolutely delighted for you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ and very systematic approach, I expect you are on cloud nine, enjoy your maintenance stage, cannot wait to get there myself. Keep us posted.
    Regards jan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi ruthdownunder
    How are you doing hardly ever see you on here.
    Love jan

• posted by Sumo
    on

Thank you all for your replies
    I have a splash of skimmed milk in tea and have drunk black coffee since my teens. I have a selection of herbal green teas and caffeine free herbal teas, and caffeine free tea, so lots of choice all sugar free, I have never been a fizzy drink or juice drinker so avoiding them is no problem, I will look forward to a daily glass of red wine once in maintenance?

Is sleeplessness an issue with this life style change?

Please log in or register to post a reply.