'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Laska
    on

Thought I’d start a WI thread , so we can see how we are doing.
    (My ‘official’ WI is Fridays ) ,

I have been doing the BSD a week and a half and have lost 8.5 lbs .. so thrilled!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Brilliant Laska….well done!
    I’m a week in and lost 7lbs…..just tried on two dresses that wouldn’t fit and they look great!

• posted by Laska
    on

and you Aliba, I’ve not tried any different clothes yet, but my ‘tummy wodge’ (you know, that bit that you notice when you sit down ) is definately smaller!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Laska, I love the phrase ‘tummy wodge’……really made me laugh….I’ve got one too….but it’s a shrinking wodge now!

• posted by bernie
    on

End of week 1 for me and have just weighed myself and lost 8lbs which I am overjoyed at. Just done the menu plan for week 2. I have found planning is the key for me so I know what we are all going to eat each day. Looking forward to week 2 which I have never said about any diet I have ever been on.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Very well done Bernie….that’s a great weight loss!

• posted by Laska
    on

Fantasic weight loss, Bernie, Yes I am looking forward to another week also ..( I think I may be another pound down now also ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Shaker
    on

I almost fell off the scales.

Lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks!!

• posted by bernie
    on

Wow! fantastic – well done you

• posted by jmjski
    on

Hi everyone,
    great to see you are all doing well. Love the tummy wodge phrase – mine seems to be slightly smaller too.
    Week 1 – 3.8 kgs weight loss, 3cm off my waist. Blood sugars back into the normal level. It was all fairly easy, not hungry at all.
    Week 2 – .4kgs loss, waist the same. This week was much more difficult. A bit of eating fatigue set in as I was eating too many of the same meals for convenience. I need to make an effort to try some different recipes. I broke down one evening and had a small bowl of popcorn that turned into the bag – so I’ve learnt how easily a taste can turn into a binge.
    I did try on a pair of pants I couldn’t fit into yesterday – and now I can put them on – so I am very determined to continue and am looking forward to this week. I want to add some more exercise in this week and see how that goes.

• posted by nettyrim
    on

Weight the same today but lost a bit of fat. My tummy wodge looks smaller too. Bsg 6.3 this morning so very pleased. Told oh off for leaving chocolate in the kitchen. Thinking about getting a lockable box for that and the biscuits!

• posted by Hedds
    on

Hello everyone,
    3 weeks in and I am 10lbs lighter and lost an inch off my waist. But the biggest news is that my HbA1c level is now 40! It was 48 only four weeks ago. My fasting blood glucose level this morning is 4.5 down from 8. The weight is probably a little slow due to not being able to exercise properly due to having fibromyalgia. But I am over the moon with my results so far.
    Good luck everyone
    Helen

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Brilliant stuff people and a real inspiration. 5 days in I have lost 7lbs so I’m really happy

• posted by Meggy61
    on

Hi all…well that went well…first weigh in this morning and lost 7lbs. Must be doing it right. I have found it quite easy as I am not a big eater. My issue is staying away from sweet things. I feel much healthier and also sleeping better. My issue is sitting in the evening watching TV and my hands are looking to fill my mouth with a bag of sweeties or a bar of chocolate…..eeeehhhh.., anybody any suggestions how to break this habit. I have been keeping a small portion of almonds handy and that seems to be working.. Look forward to my 2nd week….good luck everyone else..

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Well done Meggy. My first weigh in this morning and I’d lost 5lb in a week. Really pleased and feeling positive and like you….healthier ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by auntieambel
    on

Just popping in to record end of first weeks weight loss, exactly one stone yaaaay, I’m so happy

• posted by Salty Stan
    on

Day 1 weight 90.3kg cannot stop thinking about food. I have eaten 822cal today according to myfitness app.

• posted by Jolly Roger
    on

Hello, just joined the forum.
    I have been dieting for 3 months (2 weeks on the 8 week diet) and have lost 2 stone (13st 8lbs to 11st 8 lbs). My wife thinks I am looking like one of those POW’s from the last century but I was a keen squash player 30 years ago and my weight was steady for at least a decade at 10st 8 lbs. So, I reason I can probably lose a bit more….
    I am finding the diet tough and regularly feel hungry but I’m determined to try and avoid medications. I have already cut back my blood pressure tablets as my BP has fallen 10-15% in this period.
    My comment on the threads to date is that weight loss on a low carb diet may not result in lower blood sugars for everyone (mine have not budged in the last 3 months and have even gone up slightly at times before coming down again). I’m hoping that 8 weeks will sort it!

• posted by wobbly
    on

Salty Stan, are you drinking enough fluids? Big glass of water before every meal helps fill you up. Green/mint tea is nice in this horrible cold weather. Also, are you getting enough protein? Hang in there, it gets easier!

• posted by wobbly
    on

Auntieambel, that is amazing! A nice bit of inspiration for those of us struggling with the first few days. Great job!

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi SaltyStan, just started today also. I’ve had an oatcake before the gym, breakfast was scrambled eggs & sm salmon, lunch was nat yoghut with passion fruit & toasted almonds and dinner was chilli & cauli rice. Thatis 1000 cals so I need to sort self out. Was really ready for dinner at 5.30pm so hope will not be starving later. I’ve drunk plenty of water today so as not to dehydrate. Starting weight 14 stone 121b.

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Week 2 finished, weight loss slowed quite a bit but still lost 8.5 lb since I started on 26 January. Finding it easy to stick to and this week’s goal is to to make sure I keep enough variety so I don’t get bored.

• posted by zebbie
    on

Hello everyone,
    I’m just starting my second week. Went slightly astray over the weekend, (not too much) but lost 1.5kg the first week. My partner who is doing it with me lost 3kg!
    It’s great reading about everyones losses.

• posted by TraceyH31
    on

Hi all there are some impressive and motivating weight losses – well done everyone. I’ve lost 5lbs after 3 weeks and 2″ off my waist. Although my weight loss is slower than a lot of you it’s still weight loss and I’m happy with that. I’m not diabetic but carry all my fat around my middle and that’s what is most noticeable how much flatter my stomach is. My aim is to get my waist down another 4″ to 30″ if I can and I’m aiming for around 10st 4lbs so another 11 to go. My next goal is so get the scales showing under 11st.

• posted by nettyrim
    on

Weight losses are amazing keep up the good work.
    I have been weighing daily and have lost a pound today. Body fat down too. Waist measurement is still the same but I think I am getting a waist higher up than I have been measuring! . I’m most impressed with my fbg 5.5 !! I have never had that result ever. I have to have my Hb1ac test done in a few weeks so hoping for an epic drop!

• posted by censap
    on

Hello, I’m here to celebrate today because I’ve just finished my first two weeks. I’m 7.5lbs down. This is my third start of this diet, so I’ve lost a lot before. I know I will keep to it this time, to infinity and beyond, well… eight weeks.

Counting every calorie, mostly around 730. Keeping to low carb, high fat & fiber. I’m eating plain bio yogurt, whole milk, seeds, oily fish, avocados, eggs, green veg and spending a fortune on lovely lettuce leaves.

Walking more I average 6500 steps per day, I use a fitbit and myfitnesspal is good for calories, carbs, fat, fiber and protein.

Look at Jason Lonergan You Tube video Running A Marathon LCHF as a Diabetic & Coeliac to see how he “embraces” his t1 diabetes, very inspirational.

One change is I work very hard to drink over 2 liters. I find it hard to drink much water, so tea, coffee, redbush, oxo or hot water with milk. Keeping busy keeping my liquids up stops me being hungry. Low cal snacks for emergencies are celery, gherkins & pickled onions.

I was pushing 11st about 18 months ago, now I’m 9st 2lbs (5ft 4in female, age 58) Very Good Luck to everyone on the voyage – I’m sure this is a great plan and will serve us all well, with important lessons for the future too.

• posted by woobear45
    on

Morning, Just a week in and have lost 10 lb and 5 cm off my waist. Blood sugar is down from 6.8 fasting to 4.1. I feel fantastic and have upped my steps to 15000 a day. I am going on holiday at the end of march which coincides nicely with the end of 8 weeks so should look ok in the holiday snaps for the first time in 10 years ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by jellyang
    on

First weigh in 3lb gone , I am a little disappointed it wasn’t more but at least it is in the right direction.
    As a diabetic it has stabilised my bs but yesterday I struggled to keep it high enough & had to have sugary snacks twice to prevent a hypo. I am surprised I haven’t felt that hungry as I am normally a grazer. A have a couple of lunches out this week that could be a challenge for a diabetic, vegetarian on TBSD !

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi jellyang
    Are you on medication for your diabetes ? If so it may be a good idea to talk to your doc about reducing it to prevent these low readings. If not, try increasing the carbs a little.

• posted by Sandy44
    on

Hi Everyone
    I am starting today – had blueberry and green tea shake for breakfast. Have to go and do more shopping later to make sure I’ve got all the right food – its going to be hard cooking for the family every evening !
    It does seem a bit daunting, but all your posts are really encouraging.
    My WI day is Monday.

• posted by Katie B
    on

Hi Everyone,
    I’m in my 3rd week now and have lost 10lbs and had a bs reading of 4.4 yesterday which is the first time it has been under 5 in a very long time!
    My biggest problem isn’t hunger, it’s cravings. I have such a sweet tooth that I am literally dreaming about cake. I was hoping this would have improved by now but it just hasn’t. Although I feel really motivated, I’m worried I will slip back into old habits if I can’t get the craving under control.
    Has anyone got any advice?
    P.s. I have 4 children and it’s pancake day!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Katie I fully intend to have my pancakes tonight, made from wholemeal flour and skimmed milk and filled with blueberries and raspberries – yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Za567
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve lost over 2 kg after my first week. About to start week 2 and plan to increase my exercise. Consciously getting up and walking around more at work too. Very motivating to read this thread.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Salty Stan
    In a couple of days it gets easy.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Jolly Roger
    Welcome to the forum.
    I’m wondering- if you’re still hungry after 2 weeks and your BG isn’t going down- are you accidentally eating too much carbs? Because those are symptoms of that.
    Just a thought.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Jellyang
    If you’re having hypos, maybe need to reduce meds?
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Katie
    According to the science, the less carbs the less cravings. Can you reduce your carbs more and replace with protein and fat?
    Really inspiring TED talk on YouTube. Dr Sarah Hallberg. Obesity/ diabetes doctor. Inspiring.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Too late now Bill, but I saw a pancake recipe on the recipe section for gram flour pancakes. Much less carbs than wheat.
    Hope you enjoyed your pancakes!
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Penny, I loved them but they gave my sugar readings hell.
    I’ve seen people asking about cakes and things and I have a packet of the disaster called coconut flour. Looked around on the net and came across site
    http://thecoconutmama.com/coconut-flour-recipes/

Looks VERY interesting ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Hercules
    on

1st week done for me, also lost 8lbs and my blood sugar has been in normal range over the last 3 days on rising! I feel much healthier already!

• posted by BootsEd
    on

Do you measure your blood sugars daily.. just starting do i need to get a machine..any advice on which one is gratefully accepted x x

• posted by censap
    on

I have an a agamatrix wavesense jazz kit. The replacement strips are the cheapest I could find… about ยฃ13 for 50. I do mine daily, but I’m sure it’s not necessary, especially if your readings are consistent. Good luck with your eight weeks Ed.

• posted by censap
    on

Well done Hercules a very great first week…. you may well need to call on your Herculean powers to complete this voyage!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bill
    Thanks for the link.
    I looked at one or two recipes but haven’t found one without sugar yet. Maybe there are some!
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

First two I looked at, the grain free flat bread and the coconut flour biscuits have no sugar penny

• posted by bernie
    on

Well, end of week 2 for me and another 4lbs loss which = 12lbs loss in 2 weeks. So pleased with this, have stuck to the recipes in the book religiously. Another week for me and then on holiday for 5 days of no calorie counting but going to choose low carb and sugar meals where I can. Back on it on the 28th Feb.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

End of week 2 and have lost half a stone so far. Completely thrilled and I am enjoying the diet. Sticking to plenty of vegetable soups and raw vegetables. I am using my own take on the recipes in the book and following the mantra of making every mouthful tasty. Have enjoyed the recipes in the book for lamb, and the Spanish chickpea soup with chorizo is really good. Haven’t missed the naughty, white processed carbs! But I also managed to eat an ordinary pancake and went out for a meal and ate a starter. Off out to Body Pump. Feeling much better in myself. Good luck everyone!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Guys I came on to drop the link to the cocnut flour recipe site the other day and forgot to register the weight loss.
    Another 4 lbs gone this week so that’s 11 lb in total.
    Got to be happy with that.

• posted by Rico61
    on

I was 23 stone in the middle of last year. Started some exercise and some cutting down but kept lapsing into weekend binges. Brakes came off over xmas and I overate.

Was going to start diet in January but got a chest infection so did some on/off eating while ill but dropped to a starting weight of 22 Stone. BMI of 39.5 Started BSD in earnest on 1/2/16

Today I weigh 20 Stone 11 pounds = 17 pounds loss in 3 weeks. Trousers are looser, and am doing some walking, swimming and a wee bit of gym stuff. I also use a steam room once a week for 20 – 30 minutes which seems to help. I don’t have the energy to exercise that much more at his stage. I exercise lightly 4/7 days and know I need to up this. Touch of the fat man shame and lazy couch potato too.

I get “head hunger” more than real hunger occasionally. My fat guy brain tells me a trip to a curry house or fast food joint will make everything better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on sugar free gum as this seems to ward off the pangs when they come – which isn’t all that often. Keeping water intake up helps. That too is a discipline as I;’m used to lattes as my liquid intake. I’m determined and feel good and inspired to carry on.

• posted by paddy57
    on

Hi, I’ve just started week 4 today.

Week 1 lost 10lbs, Week 2 lost 7lbs Week 3 6lbs – so rate is dropping but 23lbs in 3 weeks isn’t to bad.

On a useful note – I was having headaches last week but I’ve upped my water intake and today is better.

Please log in or register to post a reply.