'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shaker
    on

4 weeks today
    25 lbs lost ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Jo51
    on

Hello,
    Just joined the forum but completed my first week of the diet yesterday……..weight loss in the week was 9lb. I’m beyond thrilled. I’m realistic enough to know that it’s unlikely this kind of loss will continue every week but it’s a very pleasing start. I’m definitely encouraged and looking forward to week 2.

• posted by Tracy Fish
    on

OMG, I am so happy lost 10lbs in week one and my blood sugar reading is down from the 9’s to the 5’s. I have found the diet quite easy and am looking forward to another week. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi Bernie, just started week 2 today. Lost 8lb last week, coping quite well with diet and enjoying differnt range of food eating.
    This week will be fine but next week going away and staying in a hotel with breakfast and evening meals. I want to enjoy my break away but want to do the best I can in a situation I don’t have full control. Breakfast should be easy enough but not looking forward to making difficult choices. If I have another week of good weight loss that should be a great insentive. Need to be able to enjoy life while not going crazy. Let me know how you do, we can compare strengths and weaknesses!

• posted by Oakley45
    on

Just starting week 3 and have lost 12lbs so far.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Rico
    Sounds like progress!
    I think Michael says sugar free gum is fine to use. I think he might even use it.
    Re drinks- I always have a marmite drink at bedtime.
    Penny

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi All

Great to see everyone doing so well. I’ve just finished week 3 and total lost to date is 10.7lb which is my lightest in years!

BMI has dropped from 29.6 to 27.6 and I’ve lost 2 inches off my waist.

Unexpected benefits – my blood pressure dropped from 127/79 in week 1 to 113/ 75, and resting heart rate dropped from 88 to 77.

Only slight disappointment is my fasting blood sugars are creeping up after stopping the gliclazide – I’ve had a 2 or 3 readings above 8, but through the day they are usually between 5-6. I’ve been diabetic for 8 years so I don’t expect an immediate improvement.

Roll on week 4!

• posted by Magiek
    on

I am on the 5:2 with a reduction in carbs the other days. It has taken me over 4 weeks to lose 10 lbs but my Blood sugar has been dropping steadily. It was only 4.4 fasting this am and I had omitted my Gliclazide the day before. My daughter bought me a FitBit and I have been using it to keep an eye on my calorie intake and exercise. It is a wonderfully motivating little tool and the food recording certainly makes me think twice before eating anything. It is surprising what the calorie count can be on some innocent looking foods.

• posted by censap
    on

Well done Paddy!, I’ve just started week 4 today, but my weight loss is only 8lb in three weeks, I haven’t got that much too lose, so it’s not a real problem.

I’m motivated to continue because I don’t want to have to start from scratch again in the future! Also, I really really really don’t want to be a diabetic, especially if it’s my diet that is the cause……

• posted by bernie
    on

Hi Niffer – you’ve hit the nail on the head with ‘enjoying life’.
    I am confident that when on holiday I can control my carbs and not even have any on most meals but I am going to have a dessert on one of the days as we are booked into a very fancy restaurant on one of the days, which we have been waiting for 2 years to go to.
    I have also already written my meal plan for when we get back which has helped me to see the holiday as a ‘treat’ and a temporary break from calorie counted meals and back to business when I get back.
    Also planning on increasing my exercise on holiday as we will be doing loads of coast walking.
    Enjoy you’re holiday and don’t beat yourself up if you have some nice meals – you are on holiday. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sandy44
    on

Hi Everyone – you are all so inspirational. I love reading your messages – they keep me going. I finished my first week yesterday and have lost 5.5 lbs so am really pleased. It was so hard to cook a roast meal for the family on Sunday and then only eat meat and veg. Still on track and am feeling great. Keep up the good work everyone, we can do it !

• posted by Reynards
    on

Well done! I’m on day 8 and lost 1 and a half pound yesterday even though I went over 800 cals – it was one of those days when nothing seemed to satisfy me although I stuck to no carbs. Feel better today. Total lost 7 1/2 – I’m so chuffed!

• posted by AnnaJennings
    on

Hello everyone, great to hear all of the weight loss stories! It’s exactly 3 weeks today for me, and exactly one stone lost. The last few days have been slow, only a pound a day, but from reading the forums a slowing of weight loss is not unusual. I haven’t found the diet particularly difficult due to the tasty recipes and complex carbs we can eat. I must admit my favourite breakfast is egg and avocado, which I seem to have stuck with, it’s easy to make as my husband has two eggs on toast at the same time ! I haven’t taken measurements but am now able to get into clothes that wouldn’t fasten before I started, so I’m really pleased. Keep it up, everyone, good luck!

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Really pleased with this lifestyle change so far, its day eight and 11lbs of weight has fallen off. My jeans love me again, but the way this
    is going they will have to be replaced with some smaller ones! unless i can find a seamstress.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi bernie
    It sounds great what you have planned. We plan to walk whilst away and hotel has pool and gym so no difficulty getting my exercise. Not sure of plan re puds. May have one, or just have a taste of hubbys each night! Love your idea of having your return week meal plan sorted before you go. I will use that idea myself, thanjs for sharing.

• posted by peanutbutty
    on

Hi everyone,

I am in week two and have lost 4 kilo in total. I’ve not lost anything for a few days, but this morning my blood sugar was 5.8 – the first time it’s been under 6! I have found it hugely motivating to know that just because numbers aren’t moving on a scale, good things are still happening internally. Plus I have to keep reminded myself that 4 kilos is over half a stone, so not bad even if I am stuck for a bit.

I like to imagine maybe the scales haven’t moved because there was some initial weight loss from water which is now being replaced with “real” weight loss from fat? Who knows! But I definitely feel better – more satisfied and in control of myself, less governed by crazy sugar cravings. Down we go!

• posted by blacklab
    on

Hi, This is my first post. I have lost 4.9 kilos in three weeks. I am pescatarian so really have to think carefully about what to eat as the recipes are primarily meat based.
    Nevertheless, I have found the weight loss motivational and the concept of the diet easy to live with. I am not diabetic, just need to lose 3 stone in total.
    My favourite lunch is the cottage cheese with pear and walnut, really tasty. I have made my own soup, incorporate lentils and tofu in my meals. I log everything on my fit bit app, which is invaluable for calorie counting.

This is my year of finally losing weight or bust!!! I aim to get off the blood pressure tablets, which I have been on for one year and in getting back to a size 10 by September.
    It’s very encouraging to read everyone’s experiences – WELL DONE TO YOU ALL!!!

• posted by censap
    on

Posting to Celebrate my first four weeks are done, downhill from here-on…. only 10lb lost, but I don’t have too much too loose.

Blood sugar’s not as good as I’d like, but I’m not giving up, it’s a long eight weeks, and I don’t want ever start it again.

I’m planning to continue 800 cals per week for four days a week and low carb always. If the my liver isn’t losing it’s fat, then at least this diet does keep my blood sugars low.

I think this web site is brilliant, well done everyone! especially those struggling, it’s great to see people taking so much responsibility for their own health ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by zt9612
    on

Hi everyone, I am new to the site. Began on a trial basis last Tuesday 16th Feb, and officially started on Saturday, however I have lost 2.3kg since last Tuesday, that’s around 5lbs in old money! Really pleased and feeling so much better in myself!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Well done zt9612 and censap
    Keep us updated on your progress, it’s great to see others doing well, even if a little slower than some.
    Your experiences will add to the info that others are already finding invaluable.

• posted by zt9612
    on

I only have another 11kgs to lose, so to have lost 2.3 in 7 days I think is pretty good ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by censap
    on

Well done ZT! sounds like you’re in with a good chance of reaching your goal in 8 weeks! – Keep it up ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Time4Change
    on

Hi all, I’m on week 2 day 2, down 6.8lb! Going well although very few true 800 cal days but I’m managing with what I’m doing – aiming to keep to under 1000 for most of the week. Enjoying it greatly

• posted by Essentially Jane
    on

Wow I’m so impressed these weight loses.
    I chose not to weigh myself but only to measure every week.
    I get really obsessive about scales and the smallest move in the wrong direction can send me off into the doldrums for the whole and/or I will keep going back to the scales every couple of hours. At least this is what happened to me several years back and I really don’t want to go there again .
    So after the first week I had lost 5cm from my waist, 2cms from my chest barrel, 2cm from my lower belly and 1cm from my hips.
    I’m now on day 11 and starting to feel myself moving more easily and my trousers are certainly getting looser. Yah!
    I am waiting for the Rose Elliot Low Carbs for Vegetarians as I find the veggie recipes in the book are few.
    I have successfully adapted quite a few but would rather have a wider selection.
    My husband is also on the path with me and he lost 3cm from his belly. He’s a man who loves his potatoes and bread and he is doing amazingly well.
    Onwards and upwards.

• posted by blacklab
    on

Hi All
    I have been on diet for 4 weeks, lost 5.6 kgs. I am absolutely thrilled and feel so much better. However, weight loss,my main purpose for the diet, has slowed this week.

Felt a bit miffed about this so increased my exercise on the rowing machine in the hope of kick starting the weight loss again. I am counting all that I eat, using fit bit app and do not cheat. Well done everyone for your successes and I would value any other advice to maintaining the weight loss.
    Regards all,

• posted by Bill1954
    on

blacklab, could just be a plateau as your body adjusts to this new lifestyle.
    You have done really well up to now, just keep doing what you’re doing and, like others report, the weight loss will start again.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Blacklab
    You could have a look at Jenny Ruhls book ‘low carb problems solved’ (ยฃ3 on kindle)
    She deals with this.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Justabloke
    on

53 yo male – At start of BSD: 178 cm, 109 kg, Fasting Blood Glucose 6.8, BP 147/83
    End of week 7: 99.7 kg, FBG 5.2, BP 125/76

Haven’t been religious about calorie counting, ( sticking to the breakfast suggestions, lunch is tuna and salad and some ricotta or hummus, dinner is a little bit of protein chicken or salmon and steak once a week, with unlimited salad of veg,legumes, seeds and a matchbook sized serve of feta with dressing or unlimited steamed veg. Still enjoying a couple of glasses of wine each night and exercising 2 or 3 times a week on a stationary bike. Weight did plateau a few times but then there was a big drop the next week, so just believe in the science. You can’t help but lose weight on a calorie restricted diet with exercise. there have been times when I craved a biscuit or slice of cheese, but I’ve just drunk more water or had an apple or a carrot and been fine with controlling the evil urges. But they are few and far between.

So far, so good!

• posted by woobear45
    on

End of week 4 weight is down 18lbs waist measurement is down 8cm and FBG down from 6.9 to 4.8 blood pressure also down. Have stuck to it like glue and am thrilled. Going on holiday in 4 weeks and for the first time in years I wont be hiding from the camera! Well done everybody keep up the great work

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi, Just about to start on week 5 – have lost a wonderful 1stone 6.2 lbs so far – and fasting blood sugar down to 5.4 so thrilled to bits. Have to say I love the food on this diet and am following the diet really well except for the odd glass of wine! Was stuck in a bit of a plateau for a week losing nothing but seems to have righted itself now. Each week I’ve had to travel away and stay in hotels for 2 -3 days and still I’ve managed it! Feel energised and actually look forward to standing on the scales! My aim is to have lost 2 stone by the end of the 8 weeks – hmmm, can I do it????? Have made my own smoked mackerel pate which I just love!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Week 4 weigh in and another two and a half pounds gone even though I was innactive with a bad back and had a cold too.
    Fasting blood sugar remaining in the 5 – 6 range so everything heading in the right direction.

• posted by Time4Change
    on

Well done to all the “losers”๐Ÿ˜€ My scales isn’t my friend right now. I’m up 2 pound since Friday, I know it’s not real- just water/salt retention but it’s messing with my mood. Feel very frustrated, I’ll just have to keep on keeping on I guess

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Time4Change, on two occasions I have put ‘weight’ on. Once two pounds, once 1 lb. Then suddenly one or two mornings later there will be a ‘loss’ of 2 lbs or more. You could be right about water retention so don’t be disheartened, ‘keep right on til the end’

• posted by Fi
    on

Hi, weigh-in day for me is Monday morning. Just starting Week 3 today and a bit disappointed as I only lost 1lb (was expecting more of a loss as I have really stuck to the no carb rule). But I will stick at it and perhaps next week will give a better result – from reading the other comments it can be a bit up and down. My BS reading though was 5.5 this morning so very happy about that!

• posted by AllieBee
    on

Hi there

Just finished my first week.
    I don’t have diabetes that I am aware of but am doing the plan to lose weight (30kg to get into a “healthy” BMI) and reap the health benefits of that.

I am delighted that I have lost 4.1 kgs (9lb) and 1 1/2 inches from my waist.

It’s great to see how everybody is getting on I have found it encouraging reading about everybody s journeys so far

• posted by paddy57
    on

Hi just started week 5 today. Now lost 42 lbs my BMI is 26 now (was 32) interestingly this weekend I went over 800 cals twice (About 10%) but lost 9lbs over the week & 3lbs over the weekend – Maybe it was shouting at the tv whilst watching the rugby?

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Everyone. End of Week 4 and have lost 11 lbs so far. Really pleased as have been away in hotels for a few days last week and the greatest achievement….. went to a cheese and wine tasting evening! Tasted all eight wines with no spitting-out involved! In truth just two or three sips of each wine, about the equivalent of a small glass and a half altogether. With two matchbook size pieces of cheese I felt completely part of the social situation without too much jeopardy to the diet. Only downside… it spoiled my alcohol-free February!
    Hoping for an alcohol-free March. Good luck to you all.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Monday weigh in, starting week four and 12 lb down – 8lb week 1, 2 3/4lb week 2, 1 1/4lb week 3. Happy as away last week Monday to Friday in a hotel with delicious food which I think I managed quite well. Did have a treat a taste of my husbands deserts two nights, but only a tiny taste. I went to the gym before breakfast (husband stayed in bed), swam and we walked miles so that helped. Really enjoying variety of new recipies.

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi All – great to see everyone doing so well.

I”ve just finished week 5 and really pleased with progress. Dropped 15.5lb so far, over 10% of my starting weight. BMI down from 29.6 to 26.7, 4 inches off my waist and really feeling a difference.

One unexpected benefit is my resting heart rate (measured with my fitbit when I’m sleeping) has significantly dropped – was between 95 -100 the week before I started which is awful, and between 75-80 now which is definitely going in the right direction.

My fasting blood sugar levels are still on the high side but the rest are fine, and I have reduced my medication.

All going well, but ironically I’ve been quite hungry today, most unusual for me, and I’ve been having some cravings for naughty stuff! I’ve had a few much seeds and a little cheese and I think I need an early night so hopefully it will pass!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi justabloke
    Fantastic results!
    Penny

• posted by Justabloke
    on

Thanks Penny!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi time4change
    I had water retention too. I got some hawthorn tea from Amazon. Amazing! I make it at bedtime and drink two glasses in the morning. No water retention at all.
    Penny

• posted by Oakley45
    on

Just started week 5 today and 17lbs lost.
    This eating plan is great!

• posted by Graemesmith
    on

I’ve just weighed in after 3 weeks. 21lbs lost so far. Fasting blood sugars at 6-7 every morning. Blood sugars below 7 before bed.
    Feeling amazing. I look healthier I feel even better.
    I can’t believe how easy I have found it. I don’t feel hungry I can’t find 1 single negative point.

Visited doctor last – not required insulin for 3 weeks and have been taken off one of my meds. Doctor well please, cholesterol back in the normal level, blood pressure spot on.

Thinking about it – I have a negative point ….. I’m now having to braces to keep my trousers up !!!

I might be a diet bore but I don’t care. It’s simply amazing !!!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Graeme, awesome results. You must be so pleased with that. I love hearing the huge difference this lifestyle is making. The medical profession has to sit up and take notice now. There is going to be a revolution in diabetes management I hope.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Great idea!

I was 12 stone 3 (172lbs) when I started.
    I’m on day 22 and I’ve lost 14lbs.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic news, Natasha, go girl go!!! I don’t know why but the weight seems to be falling of faster the more weeks I do this. I thought it would slow down! Perhaps it’s having more energy to be more active!! Whatever the cause it’s wonderful when you get on the scales. I stepped on twice this morning because I didn’t believe what I was seeing. I thought I might have put a little on or at least stayed the same because I ate just over 900 calories yesterday – but no…..another 10 ounces off overnight! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

wonderful news, graemesmith! bet your gp is pleased too. I have the trouser problem myself – fortunately I had kept all the ones I had grown too fat for and have had to pull them out of retirement. Two sizes down already!!! Treat yourself to a new pair, you have earned it. Once I stopped wearing the baggy slipping down ones I actually looked slimmer. Buy cheap ones though as they too will soon start slipping!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Thank you Hashimoto! I’m loving your excitement and totally feeling you!

I’m trying not to become a ‘diet bore’ but I cannot stop myself going on about it! It’s not just about the weight loss, it’s about the ridiculous energy I have. I literally cannot stop moving and the house has never been as clean, tidy and organised – and believe me, I am not the most organised person – I just have to keep moving and active.

I can feel how much lighter I am on my feet, there just isn’t as much of ‘me’ to lug around any more.

I left a post yesterday about a 1lb weight gain. When I stepped on my scales this morning I was 2lbs down! so you are right in what you and others said about weight going up and down. What I notice is that when I don’t drink enough water not only do I feel bad, but I think my body retains water, so as from today I’m going to make a big effort to drink between 2 and 3 litres, as advised.

Well done Hashimoto and well done everyone here. Loving the support and encouragement here so much. It feels very safe, and that’s so important to me. xxxxx

• posted by Time4Change
    on

Week 2 day 3 weigh in – down 9.4 pounds. I had 2 gains since last Friday, up .8 of a pound, sts for 2 days, day 3 I was up an additional 1.2 pounds ๐Ÿ˜ก But I’d been very constipated so I had to go with sow medicine. Since then my gain has gone plus another pound!
    Of course the downside is that since I took the medicine I’m probably heading back into a bunged up cycle but I’m trying alternatives to manage it.
    Love reading everyone’s good news ๐Ÿ˜

Please log in or register to post a reply.