'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Wow captain Lynne,
    Great to see photos of you and you look amazing! You have come so far and been an inspiration to so many of us and I really appreciate your still logging in here and letting us know how you’re doing it!
    I’m doing really great as well and I’m now down 84 pounds, 54 on BSD in the last four months I think.
    I’m trying to catch up on everybody’s post as often as I can but have been only getting in here once a week!
    Still going strong on the program and wishing everybody the best!
    πŸ’™

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

Glad the links worked. I found 2 old photos yesterday. When I go on the pc I’ll see if I can post them too. Scary!

York was great, and so was the weather – didn’t need a cost all week, and could sit in Museum a Gardens – that’s where the birds of prey were. The one I’m holding is a barn owl. He must have thought I was a mouse because he kept pecking me😱

Sounds like you’ve had a good day. I’m tired after all the walking/shopping/travelling. So went food shopping. Much black coffee later I’m awake – but ready for my bed. Just watching a rather silly Midsomer Murders!

I’ll post when that pound disappears, and start the new thread. Already prepared new notebook readyπŸ˜ƒ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks HappyLife

I didn’t have any new photos until I was in York a few days ago. Now I know how to post photos I’ll try to post the 2 old photos I found yesterday. Not too recent, but give an idea of what size I was.

You’re doing really well πŸ’ Please keep posting your progress.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

captainlynne fantastic pics. Lovely collar bones and look at the chin. I think maybe 7 stone could be TOO thin -lol. I think we need a cyber party for you
    Christine, I have a long way to go. Just getting to mini goals. I do have JOTF, one does up but is still too tight, and there are 2 others I have not even tried yet. One pair cost me $3 in a one hour sale years ago.Beautiful jeans. One $3 pair fit me and is long since worn out. The other is still in the cupboard, waiting…..

PatFraser, remember quite a bit of that 11 pounds was fluid, so the fat now has to catch up. As everyone says that was a mega start and you will go on. Just keep on keeping on.

HappyLife – enjoy Southern California

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Ruth – I think even 8.5 stone was too light (I’d been ill). I’ve a passport style photo taken at that time – I say it could be used to scare naughty children! LOL.

That’s why I think 9 to 9.5 stone. Just waiting to see how it goes when I hit 9st 7lbs.

I’ll start getting the cyber food ready for the cyber partyπŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Snoop
    on

What an inspiration you are, captainlynne. That is some achievement. Congratulations. Hope you’ll stay in touch with us here.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Lynne
    photos are great – and 1lb? – that is just a pee away!
    congratulations

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone

Unofficial weigh this morning shows that pound has disappeared this morning so I’ve hit my target of being in my healthy BMI at 9st 7lb. Total to date of 6st 7lb.

My current thoughts are to stay between 9st and 9st 7lb, so I don’t mind losing a few pounds more.

I’m starting my ‘maintenance’ notebook on Saturday – my official weighing day.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Congratulations 🎡🎡🎡🎡🎡🎡🎡
    And celebrations 🎢🎢🎢🎢🎡🎢🎡🎢🎡

Well done doesn’t seem enough! Fantastic news, captainlynne

• posted by Natalie
    on

Fantastic, captainlynne! It is so inspiring to see your results.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

WooHoo! Way to go captainlynne!! Fantastic achievement. What an amazing achievement, all from your determination and fortitude and a wonderful inspiration to so may as well.

• posted by healthychange
    on

Hi all,
    I have been following this diet for around 6 weeks now, although for about 4 of those i have been on holiday and away from home.
    I tried to restrict my calories but it was incredibly difficult with family around me munching crisps and offering me chocolate all the time!
    I was more than a little nervous to step on the scale when i got home but to my delight, i actually lost 1/4 of a lb! I know its not much but i had been expecting/ dreading a gain, and this has really motivated me to keep going.
    Now at 11st 7lb and lowest weight for 2 years. Cant wait see the scale drop to below 11st!
    Good luck everyone!
    -Healthychange

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant news, healthychange. Congratulations. You’ve obviously got strong willpower!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thats fab HEALTHYCHANGE! Can totally understand yr delight..To come back from hols with a little loss and not a massive gain is very good going! Plus youre the lowest weight in a long time..keep doing what youre doing and you’ll make it into the next stone bracket! X

on

thank you for all the positivity guys x

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Not much battery, so,
    WELL DONE! Will ‘Speak’ tomorrow.
    Christine.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hi team

Well week 14 and I’ve lost another 4lbs this week making a total of 44!

Am absolutely thrilled as I had thought things might drift down to a single pound a week by now. It looks like my body likes this and is thriving on the BSD. I am careful to drink a lot of water keep under 50 carbs and exercise most days, I can’t do the 10k steps as with my PMR I get whacked at a certain point but basically walk for 40 mins and do strength exercises for 20 mainly focussed on physio exercises for arthritic knees.

I still have a lot to lose but as I said before I would love to be overweight at Xmas but I would need to lose 3lb a week to do it which is a tall order.

Achievement of the week? Making a friend a chocolate birthday cake not eating any and sending him home with the rest. Is it me or does chocolate smell particularly divine when you don’t eat it?

Am off to the surgery this morning the nurse is doing my over50 MOT so that should be interesting!
    Have a great day everyone

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

End of week 9 and lost another 2.5 lbs. Total 9 lbs but that includes a gain of 2 lbs when I had family visiting a 3 meals out in a week. So back on track. When I look at some of the losses I think mine is not worth a mention but it is my 9 lbs, more important for me is the fact that my HBA1c went from 8.2 to 6.7 and my morning bloods are regularly around 90 to 110. Happy days.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Congrats sunshine-girl! 9lb is 9lb and not to be sniffed at. Many of us lose slowly – I’m one of them – but progress in the right direction, no matter how small, is to be celebrated. Didn’t bother posting my loss for last week as it was only half a pound, but better that than nothing and I’m pleased the reading was lower than the week before, even if it wasn’t huge.

Keep going and keep posting please, as it’s helpful to all of us to see how others are doing.

on

Hi sunshine-girl
    9lb is amazing, well done! Its hard not to be disheartened by a gain, but you’ve got to remember to persevere, we’ll all get there!
    I’ve lost another 1.5lb’s in 2 days, soon happy, only 3lbs until I’ve lost a stone!
    -healthychange

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi healthy, SunnyB and everyone else, well done to you all. I know I post my weight and my losses but, as I keep saying, it is the massive difference to my blood sugars that count most for me. I am so proud to have lost 9 lbs. Little story. Every time my daughter ends a visit (I live abroad, she is in UK) we always work out how long to meeting again and how much we want to lose. Up to now neither of us has ever reached our little goal and I am going back 6 years. Usually we lose a pound or two. Suddenly I have found BSD and lost 9 lbs and she has found paleo and lost 33 lbs. She found paleo about 5 months ago so has a head start on me. It is so nice to talk on Skype and exchange our successes.

So I will see her in 6 weeks when we will both be slimmer and healthier. Guaranteed.

Keep on keeping on.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just calling by quickly to say its day 56 and ive lost 34 lbs..2 stone 6, 15 kilo..whichever sounds best
    Average of just over 4 lb a week for 8 weeks! πŸ‘πŸ» x

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yowzer!!! great stuff, well done, that’s fab! Bet you feel on top of the world! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results Yowzer πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

End of week 2 for me, and today’s weight is a pound down!
    I lost 3 lbs the first week, then gained a pound last weekend when I fell off the diet with company over and desserts laying around. But, I’m so grateful for the grace to jump back up on Monday and get back to business with the diet. Minded my P’S and Q’s and I guess actually lost 2 lbs since then if you count the one I had to re-lose!
    Hoping not to repeat that mistake again, and really feel this is starting to click for me.

Starting: 167lbs(75.9kg)
    Today: 163 (74kg)

I know 4 lbs is not a lot but I am really excited as I have dieted and exercised hard for weeks before without losing much at all. 4lbs in 2 weeks is really encouraging to me.

Well done everyone. I’ve enjoyed your posts.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great news Tabletalk – anything lost is a positive and 4lb is excellent. Some of us lose more slowly – me for one – but if you stick with the regime, it will happen. The BSD is so easy to get back to and very forgiving of little transgressions.

Look forward to reading more positive news soon.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Read the book, spoke to GP, now getting set to start the 8 weeks on Saturday, what can I expect for the first few days/weeks?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sumo
    Great that you are taking the BSD step towards changing your life. In the first few days, some people struggle to get the calories down to the 800 mark, don’t panic too much if this is the case, it will come with practice. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint, so the whole calorie thing will balance out over the long term.

You might also get a variety of carb withdrawal symptoms – headaches, dizziness, hunger pangs, feeling cold. These all happen as the body’s way of crying out for the carbs it’s been used to. It’s fine to take painkillers for any headaches; make sure you are drinking enough and include fat in your meals, as this helps you to feel full and stay that way for longer. Use a few nuts, a cube of cheese or a small portion of full fat yogurt if you have to have a snack, rather than resort to the dreaded carbs.

Be kind to yourself, especially in the early days as your body adjusts to the new regime. And you can expect to lose weight and inches!! Will look forward to hearing your progress soon. Shout out if you need advise or support, ‘cos there are lots of great people on the forum, who will step up and offer wisdom and encouragement.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Sumo

Great reply from SunnyB. The only things I would add are

MEASURE – with a tape if you can, or with garments or a belt. Quite often your body shape changes when the weight stays level.
    WEIGH – do check weights of food you’re cooking, it takes just a bit of practice to assess how much you’re eating
    CHECK NUTRITION – try and get an app (I use MyFitnessPal but there are many others) which are free, and let you look up nutritional contents of things (often very surprising) and record your meals and also plan ahead which is really helpful
    KEEP CARBS LOW – keep an eye on the carbs as well as the calories, as if you can keep carbs low that does seem to help the majority of people with both weight and blood sugar reductions. Under 50g a day is what a lot of people try and do.
    DRINK – drink drink drink drink drink. And then drink. Washes the fat away and sometimes makes you stop thinking about eating.
    TAKE EVERY DAY AT A TIME – 8 weeks isn’t long but can seem a lifetime when you’re in it, so just do a day at a time.

Also, add a little more salt to your diet because you are flushing away sodium as well as fat, and this can leave you a bit lightheaded. You can use salt, or drink miso soup, or perhaps have a stock cube in boiling water as a drink.

oh, and I forgot

CHECK IN HERE FOR ANY ADVICE OR HELP OR SUPPORT YOU NEED – the SEARCH box top right gives you access to loads of posts from loads of people who’ve done the whole thing and got the T shirt. πŸ™‚

Good luck!

• posted by Sumo
    on

Thanks I will keep you posted, I have been preparing to do this for some time, just had to get a slot, where weddings, birthdays were out of the way.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I lost seven pounds this week, week five. I think it’s a guilt gift from the Olympian deities for jerking me around so cruelly on week four.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

End of week 38, another 2 pounds gone. AND that takes me a pound below my target weight of 9st 7lbs, and in my healthy bmiπŸ˜ƒ Total weight now lost 92 pounds.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Excellent news Captainlynne! Were you still trying to lose weight or did it still happen anyway?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Bissell. I don’t mind going a few pounds under 9.7 but not too much more, otherwise I’ll need even more new clothes. Going a few pounds under gives me some wriggle room πŸ˜ƒ But 9.7 is the top of what I want to be. Time to start the next stage, not losing much more and maintaining.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Awesome! Well done, you must be pleased with that and when you go onto maintenance you can allow those few pounds to go on, I have found that the pounds fluctuate between 3 and 0 pounds on and off over the space of the week, so there is room for manoeuvre there.
    Great news, looking forward to hearing about the trip you made, or is it top secret?
    Christine.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine

I’m starting my new Moleskin today. Maintenance instead of weight loss.

Will start a new thread later today or tomorrow. Need to wake up! Traveling home yesterday was a nightmare. East Coast Mainline had significant delays because of damage to overhead cables at Retford. Had to dash from King’s Criss to Euston to travel on West Coast Mainline. Instead of one train (with reserved seat) the journey home was – London to Manchester, Manchester to Huddersfield, Huddersfield to Durham, then taxi home😱 I should have left at 18.30 arriving home about 21.30. Instead I left at 16.30, arriving at 21.30. It was a very, very, long day. I’ll say no more at the moment!

• posted by Tizzie
    on

Congratulations CaptL,
    you have been an inspiration since I first found out about BSD.
    I look forward to hearing about how you get on in the maintenance phase and also to joining you there at some point.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Tizzie

I’ll be posting about maintenance soon – watch out for a new thread!

Looking forward to seeing you reach maintenance – do you have far to go?

• posted by greenjanet
    on

So delighted for you captainlynne. You are our role model for patience and perseverance. Amazing achievement.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Janet

I’ve always said I was at the back of the queue when patience was being handed out – I must be getting old LOL But I do have stick-at-it-ability πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Tizzie
    on

Thanks CaptL – just over 100lbs, so it will be a while yet!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

You’ll get there Tizzie. πŸ’

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Ooh captainlynne
    I keep thinking about your wonderful achievement.
    Did you just eat salads and stirfeys or did you follow the recipes in the book, I’m aware at week 12 I need to have more than salads and stirfrys, my attention has wavered a bit lately did your focus waver at any time. You have been committed for 9 months just wondering how you maintained it.
    Has it all sunk in yet. It’s so life changing isn’t it, cannot wait until I am at the goal posts also, I need to look after this old body
    πŸ˜€πŸ™πŸ˜€

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Janet πŸ˜ƒ

No – not salads and stir fries, not the recipes in the book. I found that I can’t tolerate too many veggies – they have an (err) unfortunate side-effect😱 So I have to be careful how many I eat! I started out eating a more European breakfast of eggs, cooked meat & cheese (whichever was in the fridge) – just watching portion size. Then my breakfast turned into a cooked breakfast – bacon, egg, slice of black pudding. Sometimes with tomatoes and mushrooms (sometimes I can eat mshrooms, sometimes not!). Then, because I’m genuinely not hungry, nothing until my evening meal. That is some form of protein with a few veggies or a little salad. When I have salad it’s dressed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

One thing I had to learn was portion control. Instead of a chunk of cheese, I learned to have 25g. And I recorded everything in a succession of notebooks. I’ve just started a new notebook for this next, maintenance, phase.

How did I maintain my focus? Mmmm …. when I began I decided that I could do anything for 8 weeks, but did wonder if it would work for me, even if I could do it. Perhaps I’m fortunate that I live alone, and haven’t drunk alcohol for many years. But I did love cabs in most forms. But the threat (again) of being put on Metformin gave me a well-timed kick. It’s said that success breeds success, and my results at the end of the first 8 weeks helped me to keep on going. That, and the reactions of my Diabetes Nurse! I was determined to show her that not only does the BSD work, but that it is sustainable! When social events, residential conferences and holidays happened – after all, these are part of life – I looked on them as challenges rather than threats and worked out in advance how to deal with them. It is my choice what I put in my mouth, nobody force feeds me. Yes, it can be challenging – especially away from home, possibly more so when in another country. I found Prague difficult, but that I coped well in Italy. (Italy, with no pasta, pizza or gelato!😱 – but it can be doneπŸ˜ƒ)

I think I just started this, decided to stick with it and to prove the naysayers wrong!!!! It helped me keep the focus. That, and the improvements in my health, mobility, energy and all the other benefits we notice. Oh – and the smaller clothes LOL

It is starting to sink in. It’s still strange when someone looks at me and tries to guesstimate my clothes size. And there are those, even now, who hesitate to comment in case I’ve lost weight because I’m ill. When I looked out the ‘before’ pics I even horrified myself😱 I’ve always been the one taking the pics, but I’m not quite as nervous about being in front of the camera now! I think the thing that is taking a while to accept is picking a size 12 off the rail and be reasonably certain it will fit (it does in most shops). Not long ago tops were 12, but skirts and trousers were 14. Then most skirts and trousers 12. But now even pencil skirts are a 12!!!!! That’s taking some getting used to!

Does that answer you? If not, ask again πŸ˜ƒ

Remind me, please – how far do you still have to go on your journey now?

We all have to look after our old bodies πŸ˜ƒ πŸ’

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Lynne
    Thankyou so much for taking the trouble to post all that, yes the good results of health are a great motivator, I’m okay again now I’m back on track. I have another 71 lbs to go I’m 5 ft 6in so not sure what target will be realistic for me, but I’m thinking about 10st 10lb, but I’m flexible. I find it interesting how many seem to drop of at the eight week point despite having lots more to loose. But I have your example in mind to help keep me focused, this forum has been so unbelievably helpful. To the point I never feel like I am doing this plan alone.
    I will be very interested to see you go into maintenance phase, ooh how wonderful does that sound. Hope you are having a lovely evening. And a happy maintaining week ahead.
    Love Jan 😊😊😊

• posted by shalimar
    on

Thanks captainlynne and greenjanet! I’m 5 ft. 6 in. and need to loose 70 pounds also. Just lost my first 10 pounds … so it is now 65 pounds to go actually.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Wa-hey SHALIMAR well done,ten pound is a big chunk! X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Bril shalimar keep up the good work πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jan – I didn’t realise how long it was until I posted it 😱

My target was flexible, although I did have 9.7 in mind all along. So now I’ve got there I’m trying to be flexible and not stress too much about losing a few more pounds. Like you I see different attitudes on here.

I’ve had a really busy day, and not long been home so just catching up on the posts.

I’ve already had a few surprises (non-BSD) come along for the coming week, so it’s going to be interesting to see how the maintenance goes!

Hi Shalimar – it can be done. Stick with it and you’ll get there.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Hi all end of my first weekend and the start of a long journey, at 58 it took me a long time to get to this shape, well round is a shape, started at 25s 1/2p weighed this morning after less than 48 hours I have dropped of 7lb, I know most will be fluid and at an high starting weight it will initially fall of quicker, my first ever attempt at a real life changing eating plan, my initial target will be 20s, for knee ops, then to get down to wards 15s, so know real end target yet, where I eventually settle and feel comfortable, will probably be OK, I probably passed through 15s about 40years ago. My doubters, which include my wife, think I have jumped onto the latest dieting fad, only time and effort will tell.
    I have been preparing for this for a while and am surprised at how large the meals are in the BSD book, I know I will not stick to the book but it gives reasonable guidance of portion control, what interested me was the science and logic given in the book.
    Those that have reached their target our gone beyond the 8 weeks are you still achieving the 800 cal?

Please log in or register to post a reply.