'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Yowzer: Wow you have done wonderfully. That’s over half a pound a day………

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

WOWwowWOWser Yowser!!! Brilliant!!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ†

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Yowzer!! Amazing achievement, well done!

Huge well dones to ALL losers…

So encouraging to read these inspiring testimonies of weight losses. Thanks for sharing

• posted by Lessness
    on

It’s brill reading how much weight everyone is losing with this diet. What am I doing wrong? Lost 3lb the first week nothing seems to be shifting at the end of the second week. Have been exercising and am sticking to the diet. On the very plus side my blood sugar levels are now really low. Any ideas?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Lessness

Congratulations on your 3 lb loss! ๐Ÿ™‚ And fabulous to hear about your blood sugar readings! ๐Ÿ™‚

How much weight have you got to lose? What’s your target?

If you are weighing carefully and sticking to the guidelines, then you will lose weight, sometimes it does just plateau a bit (just search for that in the box and you will find out how often it does!)

The other thing is you could try counting your carb grams per day as well as your calories. Some people here find that weight loss works best if they keep to 50g of carbs or less per day. I started by eating lots of veg including things like red cabbage. Then I started weighing and entering this on My Fitness Pal and discovered how many carbs there were. So I worked out some lower carb options and that helped with weight loss.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Lessness, you are quite probably not doing anything wrong, we are all different, and the amount of weight you have to lose does make a difference to how quickly it goes. If you are exercising a lot more than you used to you could also be building muscle and lean mass. This is a good thing as the higher the proportion of lean mass, the faster the fat will burn, so check measurements or use clothes that used to be too tight to gauge if you are losing fat but building muscle and toning instead. If you are unsure about whether you are in ketosis (fat burning mode) there are testing kits you can buy to check, and then if you are not, or only borderline, try dropping the carbs even more, as Igor suggests.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hey Yowzer – brilliant!
    That is an excellent daily average loss – I am going to have to up my game now as my daily average is only 6oz!
    My next weigh-in is Monday morning (NOT a good day right after the weekend etc) it will be the end of my first 8 weeks and hopefully (one pound to go) into another stone bracket. Then I am away for 10 days. Bit scared of what other scales may say – although that could go either way I suppose! My scales are a bit rubbish but as I am only interested in BIG shifts I’m not too worried. We’ll have to come up with a special BSD celebratory meal menu for all these triumphs ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks for yr kind words folks!
    ANTIGONE,You’re prob losing a bit less than me coz you have very likely have far less to lose x i want to lose two more stone but even then wont be back to the slip of a thing i used to be! In fact,will still be rather large,but at 66 years of age and not in good health, i can settle happily for being size 16 and feeling a lot more comfy in my skin!
    Well done on nearing your end of 8 week weigh in..i do hope ypu drop into the next stone bracket,its such a satisfactory feel isnt it! Look forward to hearing on monday x
    LESSNESS 3 lb down and great blood sugar readings are a great start! Stick with it,take on board what Igor and MIx suggest,and see what happens! Sometimes we have to be patient then we get rewarded with a nice drop in weight. X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Weighed today at 9st 2lbs – down another 2 pounds. That’s 96 pounds in total. Looks like I might hit the 100 pounds target after all. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Check out today’s Daily Mail (print or online) to read the latest article on the BSD and the new recipe book. I’m one of the ‘victims’ interviewed ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by Bissell
    on

Fab picture of you Lynne, you look marvellous!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

WOW!! Lynne

you look fabulous!! Well done….

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

LYNNE you look fab in the online Mail! That dress is lovely XX

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks everyone. They provided the dress!

• posted by Brightspark
    on

Just wanted to share…
    Had a visit to my GP this week as a follow-up to my chat with her at the start of this journey…
    She was wowed. Actually she didn’t recognise me at first which was fun!
    Had the results of my bloods etc back and she was sooo impressed and pleased for me, I felt quite chuffed.
    Weight down 45lbs
    Blood sugar down to 5.1
    Cholesterol down to 5.1
    Blood pressure 120/70
    BMI 27
    So, although I’m aiming to lose another 14 lbs or so I’m so pleased with all that’s happened. My GP is actively encouraging patients in need to follow the diet and has a copy of the book I gave her on her desk. She was quite emotional when we discussed the changes and I’m so glad she told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to take responsibility for my health and welfare.
    Since I’ve started this I’ve had no joint pain, no reflux or heartburn and I look and feel 10 years younger. I’m wearing size 10 / 12 clothes and my husband calls me Skinny-minny!
    My husband and I have found the diet to be life-changing and it’s paved the way for a healthier, happier future.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results Brightspark ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’

Good to hear your GP is so positive too!

• posted by Frog
    on

wow – a very bright and cheery outcome Brightspark – well done, that’s great

on

Lynne: I’m from New York can you give post a link so I can see you on the Daily Mail. I don’t know how to find it on line.
    Thanks…….

on

Lynne and Frog: Thank you for posting the link for me. I was looking under health so that was why I couldn’t find it.
    You look so beautiful Lynne. Oh I live in central New York near Syracuse. About 4-5 hours from NYC.
    After reading that article and seeing all of the results of everyone only encourages me more to stick with this plan. Thank you all so much for being here to help everyone new to this way of eating.

• posted by Bissell
    on

That’s amazing Brightspark, you must be so chuffed. And hopefully your determination and success will be passed on by your GP to others, giving them hope and a sense of what can be achieved!

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Well big surprise this week- week 17 is over and this week I’ve lost 6lbs! Had a plateau a few weeks back and then lost 2 lbs but now this how weird is that? I haven’t been exercising as my knee condition has been so bad I’m hobbling about. The body is a strange old thing for sure. No complaints 52lbs over 17 weeks and 71 to go it seems a way away but possible.

So keep going everyone seems like there are still a few surprises out there.

Have a good week

• posted by Sumo
    on

Hi all
    Start 25s 0.5lb
    After 2 weeks 23s 13lb
    Last week was only 3lb, looking back I took my eye of the plan, finding it so easy to let the cals and carbs drift up, last week was almost like a reverse 2:5 diet where the 2 were about 1500cals and 100carbs and the 5 were just about on the 800 BSD.
    But over a stone in 2 weeks and a 25 to 23 stone front number I will take as a bonus.
    Good to see so many happy losers on this site happy, that they are in control of the health

• posted by lmp98
    on

This is the best thread on any forum anywhere :). So much love and support from everyone โค๏ธ – and success too!

Well done everyone from newbies to our media star CaptainLynne.

I lost 2 lb last week (first week of the second 8 week block) and was hoping to get rid of another 2lb this week – and will try my best – BUT it is my birthday โ˜บ๏ธ
    and I’ve got to go away for work at the weekend so will see what’s available.foodwise…

Also, a bit odd, but I had a really busy day at work yesterday and at the end of the day I realised I hadn’t had breakfast then missed lunch, and still didn’t feel that hungry! This plan (I’ve decided it’s not a diet) does have unexpected effects ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sumo
    on

Imp98 I agree this is not a diet, but an introduction to a new way of life, that should be sustainable.

MM has put out this book from his finding of research by others into rapid weight loss, at a reasonable price. A lot of the reasons for yoyo dieting is people lose the weight and then return back to their old eating habits, and appear to be surprised when they put the pounds back on, the pounds can only stay off with permanent life style changes.
    The diet industry relies on yoyo dieters, if this BSD approach to life catches on the diet industry could be in for a shock.
    These forum pages take the place of weightwatchers weekly meeting, on here we get to chat to likeminded people without the cost, we get to use the cost on new food choices?
    At the moment concentrating on learning the card contents of food, currently losing 1lb a day, but I do have a fair bit to lose, to get to my healthy BMI range I would have to lose more than CaptL currently weighs?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

After having the weekend off and gaining 2 lbs (won’t be doing that again in a hurry), I woke up this morning to find I have lost 2 lbs since yesterday (must have been carrying some fluid). Anyway, for my weight in I am back down to 74.9 kilos.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

You are absolutely right, Sumo.

Whilst I didn’t have a great deal of weight to lose, I was very discouraged at not knowing how to start to do it – other than starve myself which I knew would not be sustainable, and might take a long time of considerable agony, bad temper, and fails.

So I think the best benefit of the BSD is understanding a bit better how my body works, and seeing it in action (particularly with the reduction of waist size) as the hormones change how we get our energy and the visceral fat melts away.

I can now ‘choose’ how I want to eat. I notice that at times I ‘want’ the mouth feel of carbs (why is this? Do I crave a sugar rush?) but I do understand that this would be a temporary win, and that eating something which is less carbs but more protein/fat will in the end be more satisfying.

I see no reason why, having learned how the body works, people who have more pounds to lose can’t continue on their journey and achieve their desired weight after a period of time. It might take a sustained period of BSD at low calories and then a brief ‘rest’ with higher calories (but still no refined carbs) to ‘reboot’ the losses, but why would it not work longterm?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Lots of us ‘old-timers’ have been on the BSD for a sustained period, staying with the 800 calories and low-carb – whatever carb limit we have set for ourselves.

After deciding I could do anything for 8 weeks, I find I’ve been doing it (the BSD) for 9 months. No, it’s not always been easy. Much of my work involves food and people can be sensitive if you don’t eat what they’ve prepared. But it doesn’t often bother them now. Each trip away from home has been a learning experience, building on the trip before.

But the benefits (health and non-health) have been great. And of course the weight loss.

After I saw the first rapid results I wanted to stay with this plan. Now I can’t imagine ever returning to eating the way I used to. I will be staying low-carb now. I just don’t want to go back to feeling like I used to!

But that’s me. Others will do it differently.

• posted by magic_broccoli
    on

๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ New here & new to the BSD! Started on Monday 26th September with not stacks to lose, and technically still – just – in the “healthy” BMI range. Doing the BSD vego with a little bit of fish, so a slight additional challenge.

I’ve struggled to lose the last 5-10kg since my early 20s. Even without tests, I know I’m carb addicted and at risk of metabolic syndrome (if not there already): I get incredibly sleepy and nauseous after almost every meal, very light-headed and cranky when hungry, and despite having a smallish frame I carry a significantly disproportionate amount of visceral fat around my middle (and basically none on my hips, butt or thighs) and have done my entire life. My cortisol levels have been through the roof since I was a teenager, and healthy weight loss has been next to impossible except for 12 months in my early 20s when I ate basically nothing but celery and tuna (that was gross and awful, don’t do it).

My goal is to look healthily (but not obsessively) athletic, to not bulge around the middle anymore — that is to not feel self-conscious about my stomach and back when wearing even vaguely form-fitting clothing. Bonuses are: it’d be great to feel confident enough to take off my cardigan in the summer time and bare my arms, or to wear a swimsuit in public. Right now, both of those are out of the question.

I started at 63.3kg, waist 79cm, body fat 26.6
    day 5 today I’m at 61.8kg, waist 75cm, body fat 25.5

My goal by 8 weeks is to get down to roughly 54kg (I’m 164cm tall so that’s still very much in the healthy BMI range), with a waist of 70cm & body fat of about 20-22%.

I’m happy to stop earlier if I’m happy with the way my clothes fit me. But 54kg is a rough guess based on the lightest weight I’ve ever been — I still wasn’t “skinny” looking so to speak, and had a pretty thick waist even then.

The last two days have been slow / standstill and I imagine it’ll be slow af for me throughout the 8 weeks, as I don’t have huge amounts to lose. I think I’ll be happy with an average loss of about 1kg per week (which is roughly 2.2 pounds). But even if I keep losing *something* each week, I’ll be happy.

Good to join the party. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

Good luck with those last few pounds.

I finally got to weigh in … and i’m at 236 pounds. This is a gain after last week which was disastrous. Even my blood sugar was up a tad over 10 a few hours back … but it’s back to about 8.4 just now.

Even though i had a cheese omelette with bacon (no bread or potatoes … just that) and some coffees with cream … i didn’t eat anything else yesterday so for the first time i’m within the calories/carbs amount. I’m hungry now but i’m just going to have a coffee and perhaps a diet Dr. Pepper. I feel more in balance and on the right track.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

So it’s the end of week 18 and 56lbs lost in total so that’s 4 stone in old money so mini celebration. Another 6 lbs and I will be halfway there. Have to stop wishing the weeks away,!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Wow Angiebabe, hardly a ‘mini’ celebration! That’s a fantastic loss! You must be so chuffed! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Sumo
    on

End of week 3 now 23s 8lb a loss of 1.5stones in 3 weeks, all I have to do is keep an eye on the carbs, the calories seem to be OK but those pesky carbs keep hiding in food when you least expect them.
    My Daughter-in-law, knowing I am on the BSD made me a Pear Crumble, uumm I thought, I saved all my carbs for the day and had a small portion, for my evening meal, Oh yum, just checked on my Fitness Pall and not as bad as I thought, I ended up Under Carbs and Calories for the day, bonus.
    It was made with fresh fruit, no added sugar and a very thin crumble with no added sugar.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

ANGIEBABE A masssive celebration..that over three pounds a week lost ! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ
    Celebrate every little victory,weight AND non scale triumphs! You should be very proud of yrself ..youve done really weel..i bet youre getting lots of admiring comments! X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I ve only lost half a pound in the last twelve days,which surprised me as ive been sticking to the plan like a stamp to a letter. Day 83 and about halfway thru my 24 week plan,but its ok,once i got over the unwelcome surprise,,i’ m into clothes that didnt fit even last week,ive had to put some clothes in the charity shop bag,so i’ m just reflecting on my non scale victories til next weigh in ..just writing this here to encourage anyone down in the dumps coz the scales arent being their friend just now! X
    Well done SUMO! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ thats fab! And you have a lovely DIL! I agree re pesky carbs..its a shock how many in some innocent seeming fruits and veg! Always check xx
    Welcome MAGIC BROCCOLI…great name! Good luck with BSD! Let us know how youre getting on x

• posted by Sumo
    on

One other little victory over the week end, went to a family party where my mother-in-law, bless her, always commented on my size, the first thing she said was, you are losing weight? Yes, I did lose a stone as part of my BSD preparation, so that the food intake was not a total shock, so since she last saw me it has been 2.5 stone
    They had Bread and Butter and Cold meats & cheese separate so you could make your own, just had the meat and cheese.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Thanks guys for your good wishes. I’m not sure anyone has noticed too much yet. My husband learnt years ago not to comment on my weight sweet man that he is but if I ask and ‘give permission ‘ he says it’s amazing. But in all honesty I have so much to lose I don’t think the first 3 stone noticed much. Am seeing my son at the weekend and he is an eagle eyed supporter so we shall see what he says bless his heart. I did discard a pair of trousers today as they were falling down which is a victory I’ve heard others talk about and envied so that was a wonderful feeling.

I would love to be overweight by Xmas but that would be nearly 3lbs a week ongoing but as I think the loss may slow over time I don’t know if it’s possible. However I am getting better at this BSD malarkey over time and have no intention of giving up. I do keep a record of the diets I’ve been on and in 2015 I gave up at 18 weeks so this is another victory I don’t think I’ve ever been this determined!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Excellent results Angiebabe. Like you I have a lot to lose (about 100lb in my case) I’ve got to 38lb off in nine weeks and most people I work with haven’t noticed in the slightest. The only comment I had was when I ate the tuna lettuce wraps and the chicken pakoras at a work lunch rather than the baguettes and doughnuts!

Unlike you I have never been on a diet (and it shows!) so the willpower is a whole new experience for me. Saying that, I think that I’m getting to the stage where BSD type eating is becoming second nature for me and I even feel comfortable, if I do go off the rails a little as I know I can play catch-up.

• posted by Lastchancesaloon
    on

Have just completed my first week and must admit that I’m a bit disappointed that I only lost 3lb as I stuck to the 800 calories a day religiously (had barely any carbs at all). I’m not going to give up though as weight always comes off very slowly but I did think that a bit more would have come off as 800 is very low…

on

Hi Lastchance, don’t be too disappointed, if you have stuck to it it will come off. I only lost 3lbs in my first week and I am still a slow loser. I put it down to injecting insulin every night. Could there be any reason. You say you had barely any carbs, okay what did you have, this is not a no carb diet but low carb, did you count everything both calories and carbs can sneak in when you are not looking, milk in tea, a piece of fruit. 800 is very hard to balance so it is easy to make mistakes.

Keep on keeping on. You will lose.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi lastchancesaloon

It’s 3lb you probably wouldn’t have lost otherwise – and over a seventh of the total weight that you want to loose, so well done!
    Many of the people posting here will be aiming/needing to loose a lot more than you are, so if they are more overweight, they will see weight drop away quickly at the start. Don’t get too wound up by comparing your weight loss to other people.
    Lucky you that you haven’t let yourself get as overweight as many people here before finding BSD!

Things to think about:
    Did you drink lots of water?
    How’s your digestive system been? – lots of threads and constipation if you use the search box in the top right hand corner.
    Can you increase the amount of exercise that you do?

• posted by Sumo
    on

my highest weight was 26s 1lb Feb of this year and since then I have lost 2.5 stones, 1.5 on BSD, the only one to notice has been my mother-in-law?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there Lastchancesaloon

I’ll do my usual comment which is ARE YOU MEASURING??????

I also didn’t have so much to lose – was after a 20 loss, but to be quite frank would have been happy with a stone.
    26 lbs or more than 15% of my starting body weight later, I am thrilled and have been on (very successful) maintenance for 2 months with no gain back of the lost weight.

However, I was frustrated early on and the thing to do is TO MEASURE and TO KEEP ON GOING and – if you are up for it – lower the carbs you’re eating each day. I worked on 20-30g of carbs which I not only enjoyed, but I think helped me kick off the weight loss. You say you hardly ate any carbs – are you measuring really thoroughly with an app like MyFitnessPal? Because some (good) veg are very carby – I ‘fell over’ with a little bit too much cabbage! ๐Ÿ˜‰

But be a little patient – your 3 lbs is a great start and you would have been hard pushed to lose that much in a week any other way.

You might like my thread “Not too much to lose…” as it records what I did. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lastchancesaloon
    on

Hi Frog and Igorasusual
    I have been drinking loads and although I hate exercise and find it completely boring I have been walking as much as possible. I am impatient and no I haven’t been measuring but I will now (as soon as I can find the tape measure). I also haven’t really considered the carbs in green veg and have eaten shedloads of them as I assumed that as long as I was under the calorie count I would be fine. Definitely something to think about. Thanks for your helpful comments – I won’t give up!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Angiebabe, fantastic – what a girl

Lastchancesaloon, you are doing so well, so little to lose compared with most of us. Think of the percentage you lost in the first week not the number of pounds. Wonderful as Igor says. And do not give up the green veg, just check (dietdoctor.com) the best ones. Igor, diet doctor says net carbs after fibre. Do you know which is the best way to work that out? ร‡os I need lots of fibre.

On the other tack I have lost 18 pounds and no-one except dear OH has noticed at all. And my shorts/trousers are starting to fall down! Ah well, I am pretty old, perhaps they think I am sick.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

We’ve all noticed ruthdownunder, especially when your shorts fall down, hehe it’s a great feeling isn’t it, great worl
    ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Re carbs and fibre:

In the UK the packets (and MFP etc) show NET carbs (total carbs less fibre). And that is the number we are counting for our “50g or under” target.

In the US (not sure about elsewhere) the carbs on the packet are TOTAL carbs so you need to deduct the fibre grams to get the net carbs to count.

Hope that makes sense. If you need lots of fibre, just look for stuff with plenty in, but less net carbs.

๐Ÿ™‚

on

My weight today is 74.3 kg or 11 stone 9, 3/4 lbs. I started at 80.9 so just over 1 stone loss. To be fair, I had lost 3lbs before starting BSD but it took me from Christmas to June to do that. So on this, in 12 weeks I have lost 5.3 kg or 11 1/2 lbs (what happened to the fraction button on computers). I know this is slow in comparison but I put that down to insulin. And if it took me 6 months to lose 3lbs and then 3 months to lose just under 12, then I am doing very well. I hope it will encourage others who are on the slow side too, we don’t all have to be losing half a stone a week. Think about previous diets (mine for instance) when you would lose 3lbs in week one and then lose at half a pound a week for ever. That is why other diets don’t work, at that rate you get bored and tired of waiting so give up. Keep up the good work ladies and gents and keep on keeping on.

I should also say my blood glucose, which is my main concern, is down to 4.5 and I have reduced my insulin further.

• posted by FatBloke
    on

Hi,

I started on Friday the BSD here is my progress so far.

Started 13st 10lbs and now after 4 days I am 13st 4lbs which is mental, I know some is water in fact I lost 4lbs after the first day so I am going to say that is probably the water.

I have eaten 800, 1000, 1000, 800 calories so two days I hit 1000 calories but my protein has been about 100 grams per day and my carbs have been below 50 grams.

I have found that I eat when I am bored and I have been very bored as I am stuck at home after surgery on a toe joint 4 weeks ago, so I have not been able to exercise including lift weights as I have a rotator cuff injury. (I did clear with my surgeon about starting a diet, he was happy as long as I maintained high protein intake).

I am very happy with the results one more pound loss and I am no longer obese!

My target weight is 11 stone which is the top end of healthy weight for my height, I am hoping next week to start exercising again lifting weights and doing HIT.

Cheers

FB

• posted by FatBloke
    on

No idea why it posted twice?

Please log in or register to post a reply.