"SWING INTO MAY, THE LOW CARB WAY" 4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 15th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Ai sorry to hear about your mum Kirstily. Unfortunately we’re in the same place with my sister… every day is a gift!

Not having the greatest of weeks here, awful hormonal bloating, transit issues, spotty skin and constant food cravings. Making sandwiches for the kids and trying to inhale the carby temptations! I’ve managed to stay on the BSD foods so far but too much of them and definitely over 20g of carbs.

I’d be very happy to lose even 100g this weeks.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have posted this on Verano’s thread also – but would like to thank you also for all your kind comments – but actually it was a group effort and you should all be congratulated because I couldn’t have done it without your help. I have learnt so much reading about everyone’s experiences as we all work out what really works for us as individuals in our journey to better health. The BSD book is the blueprint but it is this forum that is the magic that really makes it work – especially for someone like myself as I would have really struggled on my own.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Amarela – so sorry to hear that your sister is terminally ill. You are doing well though in resisting the bad carbs when there is so much going on.

Allie – you have done tremendously well overcoming your heart issues. Was that your reason for starting the BSD?

JGwen – your comment really made me think. We are ambassadors (if that is the right word) for this way of eating. Or maybe we are trailblazers. We are definitely a force to be reckoned with and our good outcomes must help to change the views of the medical community regarding the role diet plays in health and especially with regard to diabetes.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi KrysiaD,
    I remember someone on the forums mentioning that their diabetes nurse whispered MM, blood sugar diet as she left her appointment after being diagnosed.

– Some of those who succeed with this WoE will also have nurses and GP’s who are prepared to recognise our success and while they may hand out the NHS produced leaflets on just counting calories, will join in the whisper. – If we presume that each diabetes nurse sees 16 people a day, 5 days a week with 3 months between appointments. That’s 80 people per week, or 960 people in 3 months for each nurse who spreads on the word. –

I have been thinking about how much to say about my own journey to people. I have started to feel embarrassed by how much weight I had to loose, and have only been sharing the numbers with a couple of close friends plus this forum. I thought when I got to the same weight I was pre broken ankle I would be slim again, but my body has found all sorts of fat stores I didn’t know about, so I am going to be in the 100lb loss club before I head over to maintenance. – I don’t like engaging in gossip, but maybe sharing numbers will help others to follow the same path, and save someone from loosing a limb or their sight.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Amarela and Kirstily,so sorry about your sister and mum,that must be really hard.
    I think more people are looking at what they eat as an attempt to cure illnesses than ever before.It’s important to be educated and pass the information on to others.When our boys left home,(we still have our disabled son with us) we made a decision to eat more healthily and watched videos on youtube about all kinds of eating.We decided to drastically cut down our meat intake and rarely eat it now,although my hubby has the occasional steak bridie and I drink bovril to help me in this woe.Hubby has quite bad reflux and it has improved loads since he stopped eating as much meat.Even when he fancies something meaty and I make it for him he says it wasn’t as good as he thought it would be and goes for months before wanting it again.He loves greek yogurt now,thought it was disgusting before and eats 70% dark chocolate rather than the usual bars of chocolate.A good friend has endometriosis and was advised by a nutritionist to go gluten free and she was able to come off strong painkillers and not get the surgery she was told she’d need.Then there’s this woe which has improved the lives of 1000’s of people.When you try and new woe it can be difficult getting used to it and we can all have setbacks but we just need to be plugging away and know why we’re doing it.As I read old threads on here I realise that it isn’t plain sailing for most people ,we can all help each other.It’s so good having these forums and I’ve benefited hugely from them.
    As we approach the weekend I hope we can all be strong and resist temptation which is often harder .We can do it!Have a great weekend everyone.We’re going to be working in the garden if the weather holds out.What are your plans?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Kirstily, I can well relate to the bittersweet time associated with your upcoming wedding, for I was in similar
    circumstances when I got married 100 years ago. You are giving your Mum a great gift in moving up your date,
    though, and I wish you all a blessed wedding day 🙂 I think your weight loss goal of a stone lost by then is very
    realistic, and you will surely maximize the outcome by keeping your carbs very low and water consumption high,
    3 liters a day if you can manage it! Very best wishes.

Krysia, I’d very much like to say that my heart condition was responsible for my taking control of my health, but
    that all got pushed to the back burner because my Mother had a massive stroke shortly thereafter, and the
    next 5 weeks were spent out of town seeing to her care, then funeral arrangements, legal details and finally
    the mourning process. It wasn’t til 4 months later when OH was diagnosed with stage 3 congestive heart failure
    with evidence of a silent heart attack, and then 2 complicated stenting procedues to wait for, that I went into
    overdrive and began the research that lead to where we are today. One of his coronary arteries is totally occluded
    (blocked) and 2 others are choked with plaque. My objective wasn’t to reverse his condition, but to do anything
    and everything to try and prevent it from progressing. Weight loss was a mandatory recommendation, and the
    BSD was the way to get there! Next appt. with the cardiologist is coming up soon, and I hope everything goes
    well for him. It looks like he won’t be teaching this summer, so if I have anything to say about it, I’ll be getting
    him out at least 5 days a week to accompany me on my neighborhood jaunts. Everyday is a gift, so I try very
    hard to stay in that headspace 🙂

Enjoy the weekend and the 3 day holiday. I hear that it’s suppose to be sunny 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, hopefully the wedding will be a little light in the darkness!

Amarela – so sorry to hear about your sister, please be kind to yourself and don’t push yourself too hard, you’re doing great just to stick to the BSD foods 💕

KrysiaD – awesome news on your blood sugar levels, that’s incredible, I’m so happy for you!

Allie – Thank you, sorry to hear you went through similar, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone ☹️

Just did my meal plan for the next week and it’s looking tasty, however I am now absolutely starving!

Quick question – has anyone found that their period affects their weigh ins?

Hope everyone is doing well.

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Oh and good luck with your husband’s cardiologist appointment Allie! I really hope it shows an improvement.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re very sweet, Kirstily! Thank you 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie – you did so well to do all the research into the best food choices to make and then putting it into practice – while there was so much stressful stuff going on. I do hope that your husband’s next cardiology appointment goes well.
    JGwen – you are right – our diabetes nurses see so many people. Wouldn’t it be great if they spread the word because they have seen our successes. I do feel sad that some people will be losing their sight and their limbs because they don’t realise they could do something about it.
    Wendyq – I agree that we do all help each other in this forum and that it does help to know that other people have had setbacks also but have overcome them. My plans for the weekend is to do some lovely walks with our two Labradors around the grounds of some National Trust properties here in Norfolk as, at last, the weather looks as though it will be glorious.
    Kirstily – I do my meal plans in advance also. It does really help – even though doing them can make you feel hungry.

• posted by lalala
    on

Hi Kirstily, I hope the wedding is a beautiful occasion and the whole family feels the love despite everything else that’s going on.
    Your comment is so timely – I find myself sooooo thrown around by my cycle. I’ve previously been diagnosed with pre-menstrual dysphoria disorder (PMDD) which is like extreme PMS. From about day 18 to 20 through to the beginning of my cycle I get highly emotional (depressed and anxious – to the extent that I’ve been medicated), serious cravings (anything starchy, carby, salty or sugary) and physical symptoms like sore breasts, constipation and bloating, and this definitely has implications for what I see on the scales. A large part of my motivation to try this WOE was to see if I could repair some of these issues by leveling out my blood sugar and giving my liver a chance to clear some of these hormones that my body seems to struggle with. I’ve seen massive improvements with all these symptoms and now remember all of a sudden when the cravings kick in… I tend to allow myself some little indulgences even though I know it might stall my progress and require a little bit of discipline to get back on track. Once my cycle starts my body tends to right itself and I have a good 2 weeks where it feels easy before the whole thing begins again… It’s all part of the fun really. I’d like to think my experience of this is an exception, but I imagine it is very typical to see some ups and downs throughout the month depending on where you’re at in your cycle. Don’t let it get in the way of your progress though!

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Good Morning everyone!

Kirstily and Amarela I am so sorry to hear about your mum and sister, that’s just so sad. It does make you realise how each day we have is precious. I think you are both an inspiration being able to do this under such difficult circumstances.

I really am hoping for some advice, I am a nurse on a busy ward and have my first night shifts coming up since starting the BSD and I just don’t know what to eat! I feel like I’ll be have double the calories! But I know that to keep myself going I will need to eat something. Does anybody else work nights? Grateful for any advice! Thanks.
    S xx

• posted by Amarela
    on

Thank you for your kind words everybody 💓
    My husband doesn’t get why I’m so into TWE right now but I find that it helps to have something I CAN control, IYKWIM?

Kirstily and lalala, I find that period and especially pms affect my weight a lot. Like lalala, I also get rather horrendous pms but I’m on antidepressants full time now that it’s definitely not as bad anymore. But yeah, I’m feeling better in just about every way since starting this way of eating so I figure hormonal issues should improve as well.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi SarahChebel, I worked nights as a midwife in a frantic birth unit for many years and I sympathise. Especially as often the night staff in those wards are sharing, caring types who bring in carb laden food to share, helping get through the busy night. I mean that in a very loving way, I often found the night midwives were more generous with their help and support than the day staff- we all relied on each other, there was no other help available. But that meant crisps, cakes etc lying around ad lib and there is always ‘hitting the wall’ at 4 or 5 when a quick fix of toast kept me going.

It’s not easy but my suggestion would be to relax calories if you need to but keep carbs low- perhaps a snack of hommus and crudités, take some hearty soups that you can heat and drink quickly, and stay away from the staff room or wherever the goodies are left out! Getting through the first shifts successfully gives great confidence that you can do it.

I should take my own advice 😔 Not that work is such a problem for me any more but I am creating goodies for my daughter’s bridal shower and she wants it to be a cream tea. I suggested having it catered (less temptation for me) but her face fell and I am a sucker where she is concerned so I am in the kitchen baking cakes, brandy snaps, lemon meringue pie and the next project is a layer cake with butter cream filling and a mirror glaze. I am not one of the lucky ones who now find these things distasteful so it’s temptation all day long.

I haven’t been around much lately because my head just hasn’t been in the right place and I somehow unsubscribed from the thread. I haven’t read back over all the pages- busy thread! Clearly you are all hanging in there whether struggling or sailing through, well done, that’s an achievement by itself.

I’m thinking of restarting the Headspace app and see if mindfulness will help me get my mojo back. And maybe deal a little better with the wedding prep and stupidly busy work, both getting me down a bit at the moment. It’s a beautiful sunny morning here and I have a full day planned so I’d better get into it! Have a lovely weekend and good luck all.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Mariet
    I know exactly what you mean about your ‘head not being in the right place’. It actually isn’t at all surprising as a wedding is such a huge undertaking – especially as you are so busy at work. How lovely that your daughter has such a high opinion of your cooking skills that she would rather you made the cream tea rather than getting it catered – but all that temptation all day long. Hope you survived relatively unscathed.

I had issues with my ‘head not being in the right place from September to beginning of April. And although sticking absolutely to the BSD principles was eating way too many of the good carbs. If course my pancreas couldn’t cope with that and I was heading at breakneck speed back to the deadly diabetes. The spectre of an HB1aC test and visit to my wonderfully supportive Diabetes Nurse jolted me into action. My head was suddenly completely 100% in the right place’. Every day has been effortless. If course other things that happened at the same time helped enormously – especially Verano’s one week challenges, Allie’s 4 week challenge and reading the Gary Taubes book – Why We Get Fat. Weight has just fallen off and more importantly I am back to super low blood sugars.

A really good idea to go back to the headspace app and hopefully you will be able to relax a bit over the weekend before things get really hectic again.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi all,

Hope i can join for the last leg of this 4-weeker. Having completed 2 weeks of the 800 yesterday I am astounded that I’ve managed it and also daunted at the prospect of all that could help me fall off the wagon during the next 6 weeks : /

I am using an app to chart my daily intake and have foubd if really helpful . Am also introducing the diet and the WOE to my partner and the kids. So am hoping this will mark a shift in our diets.

Have been reading Fat Chance by Robert Lustig which is all about the factors that underpin this diet. He is both experienced in the field of obesity and very erudite about the ways in which the modern industrial diet is loaded against our society’s health. I have found it very motivating.

Any other reading suggestions?

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi – back again! I’ve just read through the posts I’ve missed while I’ve been ‘sleeping around’ (!!!!!) – everyone is doing so well and some of us are facing tough times while doing this. Sending you all my good wishes.
    I’ve been going 3 weeks now – lost 12 pounds in the first 16 days, but have stayed the same this last 6 days. I have had one day, or evening, of ‘not being good’ – but I wasn’t bad either – home made soup, one piece of rosemary focaccia bread and a small piece of sponge cake with a little custard when visiting a friend I’d not seen for years and made cake and custard especially for me as she remembered I loved that at school 47 years ago! So maybe that stalled my loss. Funny – I said to my husband that even though I didn’t over eat my tummy felt really uncomfy after those carbs.
    Not being put off by the ‘zero loss’ – still thrilled at being 12lbs lighter than i was three weeks ago. Back on it tomorrow for a big push in the last week of the challenge with a target of 3lbs. I’m hoping it will be easier for me as we’ve finally moved in to our own place – surrounded by boxes but at least I’m ‘home’ now and not sleeping on a combination of lilos, settees and sofa beds!

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re more than welcome to join in, trundlebug 🙂 Later in the week someone will come up with a name for
    the June 4 wk challenge, and you can be apart of as many consecutive challenges as you wish! Sometimes
    breaking the 8 wk BSD into 4 week segments is less daunting…Very happy to have you with us 🙂 🙂 🙂

I like your sense of humor, greeneyes! Sleeping around? Ha 🙂 It must feel great to be “settled”, with
    your own bed to retreat to at night! Inspite of the confusion, 12 lbs is quite the accomplishment for 3 wks.
    Congratulations! I think you “have this”!

See you all tomorrow!

Allie

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Thanks Alliecat! 🙂

• posted by lalala
    on

R2W1D1 – weight 82.5 (0.5 lost this week) 9.5 kgs lost in total
    5 cm lost this week – 14.5 cms lost in total
    Had a really positive week and kicked back into ketosis easily with fasting and low carb / low cal. Was losing about 400gms a day but then had a big stumble for book club on Thursday evening (off plan crunchy salty corn chips and definitely too much on plan food) which put me back 3 days – which isn’t much in the scheme of things but I was so keen to try and undo my mistakes of the past couple of weeks so I’m disappointed in myself for my lack of control. That said, I realised I’m at peak hormonal point, so that is definitely a factor so trying not to beat myself up too much. I just really want to get under my goal of 80 kgs, I seem to be self sabotaging somewhat, while simultaneously making ebay purchases which just don’t quite fit me yet. What’s up with that??! Oh hormones my old friend, you really are a massive pain.
    It makes me a little worried about maintenance because I’m really bad at moderating myself in “nibbles” type situations, and then I can fall off the wagon if I give myself even the slightest permission. Probably the smart thing to do would have been to take a plate, eat enough and stop. And maybe have some of my own protein handy, or eat beforehand and not have any snacks. All learning I guess, but you can’t help but feel sometimes that even with the best techniques, in place your body will do what it wants – and sometimes that is EAT!

So I’ve decided I’m drawing a line under the past 2 weeks when I’ve been a bit wayward and calling today the start of a new 8 week sprint with renewed focus and discipline.
    Hoping to still get under 80 by the end of this week, and maybe reach 77 by the end of this 4 week challenge – optimistic and ambitious but possible… I’m also adding in some running goals for this sprint – aiming to get a 10 km under my belt, so starting out slowly with a 3 km non stop run on Sunday and adding 1 km to my distance each week to meet my 10 km goal.
    In happier news, I’ve resigned from my job and will be finishing at the end of June. The move will coincide with the end of this sprint so really hoping I’ll reach my 70 kgs target – back in the healthy weight range. Sticking to the positives, looking forward. 8 weeks to a new house, new life, new me!

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Morning everyone! Can I just say kirstily and amarela I am sorry to hear the news of your mum and sister. This 4 week challenge will try to focus your minds on something else and everyone’s here if you want to sound off.
    Now, I am 10 st and a quarter pound again this week although I have to say I got weighed on Sunday morning AND I WAS 9st 13 AND THREE QUARTERS OF A POUND!!!!
    Ooh sorry. I feel much better for that! I just had to shout. So I know I can do it. One more week to go. We are away from Mon – Fri next week. Cromer in the moho again. So mum’s having the carers again. I’ll post my weight Monday next week as I won’t have scales on Tuesday. So fingers crossed!

Hope everyone is going to have a good weigh in todayvand can I say also it’s lovely to see all the newbies mingling in. Just think we were all newbies once! ….. and look at us now.

Take care everyone. Go easy.
    Luv. Tilly x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

This week a 2.50lb drop – which is the biggest drop so far on this challenge. I find it really amusing that my goal at the start of this challenge was really to bring down blood sugars to get a good HB1aC and the secondary goal was to lose the remainder of lbs I had put on since Christmas and get some wriggle room. By focussing on the carbs and the blood sugars the weight just took care of itself and is just melting away at breakneck speed.

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Well done KrysiaD! That’s great news.
    I think that’s what people lose sight of. The fact that this diet is for blood sugar and not just a “lose weight” diet.

I’m not diabetic so was looking just to lose weight (gained from red wine and steroids for five years) and I’ve done 2.5 stones but the last few pounds are proving the hardest because I know I’m not doing it wholeheartedly. But I’m more than happy now with where I am. My steroids are down to 4 mg daily si if I can get off them completely I’ll be happier still!
    Good luck on your journey
    Luv. Tilly x

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Good morning everyone,
    Well after a 10 day stretch of being stuck and losing nothing I lost 2.5lbs this week so very happy with that. At 10st 101/2 I am smack bang on the top end of healthy bmi, so onwards and downwards.
    This hot weather certainly makes it easier to up the water intake and I think thats made the difference this week

Have a good day

• posted by MirandaG
    on

Morning everyone
    Cleverblonde, such a wonderful, satisfying feeling to have a drop like yours after a pesky plateau like your 10 dayer.
    Tilly, now that you’ve seen that loss on the scales you may find that you boing back down quite quickly (possibly taking a bit more with it)….I found a similar pattern going on. Great news on the steriod reduction too
    Krysia, well done to you! A record drop is certainly one to be proud of.

Hi to everyone else!

News from camp Miranda…..my 8 week stint ended yesterday and rewarded me with a 56.5kg weigh in and a waist measurement of 25.5 inches!! Began at 66.6kg and 31 inches so chuffed to bits. This is very slightly over my initial goal but gives me a little room to play with whilst I experiment in to maintenance
    Love to all
    Miranda x

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Not the best week for me – zero loss. But onwards and upwards. Good luck everyone!

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi all
    Sorry flying visit. 12.9 today not due to weigh in till Thursday (3lbs this week so far only 1lb last week) but that is a total of 2 stone in 10 weeks. Finally in ketosis and FBG is 5 – 5.2 so a very happy bunny!! Not all plain sailing but have got here finally just another 2 stone 9 lbs to go. Walking 5 miles a day, sticking with the 2 minute plank, still not sleeping well but in bed trying to break 22 years of very disturbed sleep. In the zone at the moment but learnt last week no number of biscuits are really what I want, I just think I do. Distractions and water mean I get more achieved and a great weekly weigh-in is ‘ what I want, what I really really want!’ Long may this positivity last!! Have a good last week all aims for last 7 days – a) keep FBG in normal range b) stay in ketosis c) 3lbs Love to you all xx

• posted by wendyq
    on

Congratulations everyone on your weight and inches lost.I lost a pound this week,not as much as I’d hoped but still going in the right direction.We had loads of people around last night for a bonfire-marshmallows galore,everything you can think of!I managed to resist everything but one pringle as we were clearing everything away at the end so not too bad.My task today is to do painting in the garden:decking,a bench and railings,we’ll see how much I can get done.Hope you all have a good day.

• posted by caronl
    on

HI lalala. Congratulations on 9.5kg loss. You will soon be into double figures! I sympathise with your book club temptations – I get the same after choir rehearsals. Since I find it really difficult to resist a snack at such social occasions, I take almonds and small blocks of cheese to share. Otherwise TUC crackers etc become irresistible. Best wishes for the reboot. You are definitely on the right track.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello to all of our challengers, some very good stories today, end of week 3, and commiserations to those like jojodoodle who didn’t lose but well done for koko.
    A quick note as it’s getting late here. 59.8kg for me, means I’m just fiddling around. I’ll do better this week even with a couple of significant distractions (but when was there not?)
    New title? Hopefully someone can improve on this….. Croon To The Moon “Low Carb Toward June”

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi no change for me again this week but will still be back for the final weigh in next week. Just keeping on keeping on…. my fasting blood sugars are my priority at the moment so paying more attention to carbs than calories.

• posted by JGwen
    on

No drop for me to report this week, but I sort have come to expect a cycle of plateaux and inch loss which then shows up on the scales. – My success of the week is that I bought a couple of new swimming costumes during the week, which are 3 dress sizes smaller than I was wearing 6 months ago.
    Having hit my initial target weight last week, which puts me to the point of having achieved my driving WHY I wanted to loose weight, I have spent part of the week thinking about the next WHY(s) – I had thought I would hit my target weight and target dress size at the same time, but my body has found areas of blubber to get rid of before the spare tyre. I can see more fat on my legs as well as having another couple of dress sizes I could lose by carrying on with the BSD. For me, while I know that reduction in weight will also bring with it improvements in shape and energy, what this enables me to do/achieve, is more important than the reading on the scales. So I have come up with one target with regard to my shape. – To eventually reach a shape where I would be comfortable in a bikini, and another target on fitness levels.

I haven’t dropped the plans to start my own youngster and to go on a riding holiday in Montana. Which were my WHY for my initial target weight. – I am working on those projects, but I needed another WHY to to aim at to keep my resolve for KOKO.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I like your title for the next challenge Marsie – I can’t believe it’s thay time all ready!
    How about ‘Low carb towards June, – success will be ours soon”
    As for me, not really a successful week, but not a bad one either with a 0.5kg gain. I say not bad as I’ve hardly stuck to plan, a lot going on at home and work at the moment.
    Am going to refocus for the week ahead!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Some great results here, congratulations to all the ‘losers’ and koko to those, like me, staying the same.

Krysia, I am feeling chuffed that I got through my baking day without scraping a bowl or a spoon! I had hot water in the sink and every implement and bowl went in immediately 🤗
    It was a tryout day so my finished cakes and all went straight in the bin after my daughter approved the results- I agonised over the waste but no one I know wanted them and I reasoned that they were no less wasted if I ate them as I feared I might if I kept them for work. So I have to do it all again and more before Saturday but feelng like I can do it without weakening.

My weight is largely the same, just within the range I want and that’s a good result. The Headspace app seems to be helping me feel serene.

I like both names for the new challenge, can’t come up with any suggestions myself. Stay strong everyone 👏

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning everybody. Forgot to post yesterday, I’m down 1,3kg or a about 2,5lbs since last week, I’m always hoping for bigger losses but it’s good since I had awful pms last week and we celebrated my youngest’s birthday twice over the weekend so I definitely over ate on a few days. That’s 12kgs in 5 weeks, much to go still.

JGwen I love your idea of a riding holiday in Montana! I haven’t been on a horse since I was pregnant with my “baby” who’s 8 now 😄 and it’s definitely something I’d like to get back into once I’m a healthy weight.

• posted by Kirstily
    on

-1.2lbs this week, not as much as previous weeks but considering I had a major blip at the weekend I feel fortunate. Frustratingly stuck at 10st 0.8lbs… Can’t wait to be into the 9s!
    I’ve done quite a lot of physical exercise this week, so much my muscles hurt. I’ve been reading about how the body tends to retain water in areas where you have made micro tears in your muscle by exercising in order to repair them! Definitely explained for me why my weight loss seems to plateau and then drop suddenly a few days later after I do lots of exercise!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mariet, what a brilliant strategy for coping with the cake mix left in the bowl and on the spoon. Also, what a good way to think about the leftover goodies – they were no less wasted if you had eaten them than if you had thrown them in the bin.

JGwen, your post really highlights the importance of the WHY. I must admit that sorting out my WHY at the beginning of April has really helped me.

Amerela and Kirstily – well done for your losses this week.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Mariet,when I’m tempted by cakes etc,rather than throwing them out I put them out for the birds.They get all kinds of things from us-pasta,rice,mash,chips(not mine I might add,birds get them to prevent me eating them),bread,crackers etc,anything.We have a dog but he’s not one of those greedy types that eats everything .Also sometimes I freeze cakes and get them out when we have people coming round.It doesn’t matter what we do with these things,as long as you don’t eat them.We had a bonfire the other night,loads of people came and you should have seen the leftovers!So many marshmallows,but I didn’t even have one which is amazing.It wouldn’t be too bad to have one of something but I always want more so the best thing is not to have any at all.Some friends came the next day and I was able to give a lot to them.
    I hope today will be a good one for all of us and that we can stick to this woe,only one week left for this challenge.I knew my goal was unrealistic as I’m a slow loser and I won’t achieve it but if it wasn’t for this challenge I might have been yo yo ing between a couple of pounds rather than keep losing.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, everyone! I was out of computer range most of yesterday, so just getting a chance to
    read through tuesday’s results at 6:00am here. So so happy to see that everyone is making
    progress at the beginning of our last week! I’m always a fan of the 4 week challenges for
    dual reasons; a) a chance to catch up with the “old guard”, as well as b) the pleasure of
    meeting newcomer’s to the community, and witnessing their confidence grow in this WOL.
    It doesn’t take long, does it? 🙂 It puts a smile on my face that usually stays with me for
    the entire day. For those few that don’t feel that they had a “good” week, these things usually
    even out in the end, and most often the following week make’s up for it. Just stay with it,
    this IS the answer, I promise 🙂
    How many would like to participate in a new challenge to follow this one? As Marsie
    suggested, it would be about time to consider naming the next challenge! I like “croon
    at the moon, low carbs in June”. I do wonder if “howl at the moon, …etc” might suit me
    better, though. haha. Think of the different breeds of canines we could choose to
    represent us! Could get rather loud, I imagine!
    Finally, best luck putting everything into our final 6 days. We’ve all got the tools to do
    this. Congratulations to all big losers this week, and thank you all for joining me 🙂

Alle

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Hello

I was -1lb for this week, I was a little disappointed, but it was expected. I had a couple of evenings with friends who had cooked, and for some reason I didn’t want to say I’m not eating carbs, thanks. One was a curry night and she had specifically bought me gluten free naan and wraps, so I felt like I had to eat some 😬 So I tried to limit but it was difficult, and as I noticed it really set the scales back, which in turn annoyed me lol. Am sure in time I’ll be able to decline gratefully 😊

It’s great reading all the positive posts, really keeps me motivated, have a good week all.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Mylastrolo! These social situations do get easier with time..You might try telling your
    friends that you are insulin resistant and don’t process carbs in the same way that others
    do, so you have committed to going low carb to manage your weight/health. Most friends
    are supportive if they know that this isn’t a fad diet, or an indictment of the way they eat 🙂

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi guys! Feeling a bit disappointed – 8 days with no weight loss 🙁 Wondering if this lovely hot weather means that we need to drin even more than the 3 litres – although I find it hard to get near that amount whatever the weather!
    Hope you are all having success and working towards the last 6 days – I set a target of 3lbs this week, but nothing so far! Resisted the cupcakes that were left for us all at work by a colleague, resisted the offer of an ice cream when I popped over to see a friend tonight and resisted hubby’s Ben and Jerry’s Peanut Butter cup ice cream in the freezer when I went in there for frozen blueberries!
    What did you resist today?

• posted by lalala
    on

Belated thanks caronl. Already feeling so much better – over that little hill of the first few days and more than 1kg lost this week so far. You’re so right about the temptation if you don’t have other tools so almonds and cheese are a great idea. My go to is usually green olives (salty) and celery with hummus (crunchy). Anything to keep on track! My resolve completely withers when I’m hormonal… Feeling very clear headed and on task right now so hoping to get to my goal of under 80 kgs by end of this week / challenge. Have found my head wandering back to what motivated me when I first started – kind of less about the aesthetic end point (looking good) but more about all the other benefits (not feeling self conscious, being able to comfortably fit into clothes, seeing improvements in my weight training and runs, being able to keep up when we go hiking on a family holiday in October). Eyes on the prize!

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Morning All
    Sorry to hear that some of us are having * a ‘trying time’ keep smiling and whilst it’s the ‘cycle of life’ that doesn’t make it any easier.
    I’ve been AWOL this last couple of weeks with weekends away it has been hard but yippee I’m down 11 Lb over the 3 weeks and the scales are showing 10:0.5lb so I need to keep going as I desperately want to break the 10 stones the other way! I’m hoping to eventually reach 9:3 which is what I should be but over these last 2 years I think that my hormones have made me eat ( sorry to blame them – but since doing the WOE I don’t feel so emotional or stressed.) Also have decided to ‘retire’ from work this summer and I think now that I have made the decision I feel that I can focus on my eating and I feel happier ( I am a teacher but we have employed a Business Manager and I think life will become even harder so I’m bailing out! )
    Keep going everyone any loss however small is an achievement, but if it is of any use to newcomers I have found every recipe in the book so far very tasty and so for me it is much easier to stick with – the harder part is the water consumption but hopefully with the good weather arriving it should become easier.
    Have a great day! Xx

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Well done Millie moo! That’s great going. I’ve enjoyed every recipe in the book too. Hubby and I love the chick pea chili. Can’t believe how filling and tasty it is and no meat! It was a revelation to me as we are meat eaters and vegetarian stuff always seems to have something missing but this didn’t so it’s a keeper. Falafels, burgers, fishcakes all keepers too. Luvtocook has some fab recipes on the sites too x can recommend retirement too. My dad used to say he didn’t know how he’d found time to go to work! Bless him.
    Love Tilly

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,
    Well done to those of you with losses this week! I’m envious of your commitment when mine has wobbled. No loss for me this week, actually more like a 2lb gain, but I’m confident that’s water as I didn’t drink anywhere near enough water over the hot weekend.

I’m back on it now, KOKO. I’ve had a good few days now and I am confident that I can carry on, albeit with slower losses.

Thanks JGwen for bringing up the subject of WHY. I have struggled with this myself. I have my eyes on 135lb, but rather than just the number, it’s because I want to look and feel how I did back when I weighed that much. I want to be able to climb mountains and do other outdoor activities without carrying around an extra 30lbs. I want to look better in clothes and feel comfortable about the way I look again. I was ‘skinny’ from 0-18 years, and always identified with being slim. Then I went to uni and went from 8 stone to 10.5 in 3 years. Then I yo-yod between 10 and 11.5 stone for the next 10 years, before finally getting to a high of 12 stone before I started this WOE. I want to get to a place where I felt in control of my weight again, to get some power back and know that I have the tools to be able to lose weight and maintain when I am happy with my size. I finally feel with this WOE that I’m getting there!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Here’s an offering, bit naff ….. Lets zoom into June, with a low carb vrroom!

Kxx

• posted by wendyq
    on

Some of you have mentioned the book by Gary Taubes and last night I got it on the Kindle and started reading ,it’s really interesting and I’ve learned a lot already. Looking forward to reading the rest of it over the next few days.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, gang! Milliemoo, don’t hide your light under a bushel 🙂 You are really rocking this!
    Congratulations, and very well done. Finish up strong, my girl 🙂 🙂 🙂

Kazz, this title makes me smile! Great suggestions so far….

Wendy, do let us know what you think when you finish the book. Simply the “Bible” for
    me, and utterly life changing in every respect. No going back, afterward 🙂

Allie

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi everyone – great to read your posts and see how upbeat you are. I’m so sorry some of us are going through tough times. My thoughts are with you x
    MillieMoo – great to see you again, I wondered where you were and a great loss too.
    I’d not lost for 8 days but a pound shifted today so now I’ve lost 13lbs – need to get to the stone mark though! And then of course there will be another 2 stone to shift!
    take care everyone x

Please log in or register to post a reply.