"SWING INTO MAY, THE LOW CARB WAY" 4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 15th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Everyone
    I’ve been AWOL for the last 2-3 weeks. Having reached my target of 9 stone (well, 9st 0.5 lbs) before I took a break I’ve managed to gain 6lbs over the time away, so I’m reporting back in at almost 9st 7lb. Bummer!
    While I stuck to BSD food the whole time, I stopped weighing my food, my portion sizes got bigger, I went back to eating more than I should and exercised less.
    But, the positives are my bgls are still within the normal range, and importantly, I’ve realised I enjoy this way of life – not just the food but being more active and healthier than I’ve been in years. So, I’ll be joining in with the new challenge starting next week and am here for the long-term.
    Also, I’ve missed my friends here.

Hope everyone goes well ’til Tuesday.
    Marie
    xx

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

KazzUK
    Like your ‘vrooom’ for June idea!
    The best I can come up with is
    Stride smiling into June – we’ll all be fitter soon!
    Groan, I know!

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

We’re over the moon – to low carb for June

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

I think they are all good titles – Allie as you started this perhaps you should choose!
    Another 1 lb down this morning so have broken under the 10 stone marker – just another 11 to go! Had the risotto last night – delicious. Have my parents coming this pm for supper and have told them it will be a BSD lasagne as I’m not falling off track now for the rest of the 8 week term!
    Greeneyes – fab weight loss keep going – I know 2 stone sounds a lot but look 13 lb in 3 weeks – you’ve got this just keep going because it’s great to look in the mirror and see a slimmer you!
    Marie I agree it has to be the normal way of eating now with maybe the odd treat along the way, I think my stomach must have shrunk as the portion sizes are not too small and I try to drink a couple of glasses of water half way through eating to give my brain time to catch up with my hunger.
    Keep going ladies and here’s to another good eating day! Xx

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Today marks my 3rd week of the 800-8 week plan and I remain amazed that I’m sticking to it.

Even my bad days have involved OD-ing on nuts or berries rather than a large bag of crisps. If you knew the state of my crisp fetish you would be amazed by this.

I’m looking at cookbooks such as A Change of Appetite by Diana Henry to get inspired for meals now and in the future and boy is it inspiring.

Have yet to take my blood pressure for the week which is my main reason for doing this diet. I’m so hopeful it will drop and so worried that it might not. I believe week 3-4 is when the BP drop is seen so am preparing to not be derailed by a lacklustre reading.

I’d love to hear of others who have had BP success on this diet to help keep me pepped up for a longer stretch before success.

Have a good day all.

TB x

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Ps – vroom for June I love.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Here is a list of our zany suggestions for tuesday’s continuation:

1. Croon to the moon “Low carb toward June
    2. Low carb towards june – Success will be ours soon
    3. Let’s zoom into june, with a low carb vroom!
    4. Stride into june – We’ll all be fitter soon
    5. We’re over the moon – to low carb for june

Would anyone like to host the next challenge? The only important thing is that we get it
    rolling! I’d be happy to set it up monday, if there are no other takers 🙂 Let me know your
    thoughts….
    Have a glorious weekend, everyone!

Allie

Marie, I’m particularly cheered that you’ll be on board. I’ve missed you for the past
    several weeks!

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks Allie – see you Tuesday xx

My favourite title is also number 3 – Let’s zoom into June, with a low carb vroom!

NB Greeneyes, if I may, I’m also going to adopt your phrase and ‘stride smiling into June’ – love it

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Everyone sounds really positive with some great losses! For anyone struggling, put it behind you and get back on track 😊 I can’t wait to join the June challenge, I think all the name suggestions are awesome and I thought I’d add my own into the mix, ‘Go low carb for June, your body will be in tune!’

I’ve FINALLY got through the 10 stone mark and into the 9s, the lightest I’ve been since April 2016 😊

Also I made this on Thursday evening and it is literally the best thing since sliced bread, so I thought I’d share!
    http://pinterest.com/pin/AY_7W0lxjJpfpCETMZkE_NapTAYxEScS_M2j2GxZe47L2I1qkJcd_iA/?source_app=android

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Wow well done Kirstily for ‘getting past’ 10 stone … I haven’t been 10 stone since I was 19 years old ….! Like your pinterest page!
    MillieMoo – you are doing so well, I’m so pleased!
    Marie123 – go ahead and ‘steal’!
    Trundlebug – I’m looking forward to your bp reading – hope it has dropped!
    I’ve been able to read other posts on the page for the first time …. internet has been so slow it won’t ‘show’ other posts much of the time, hence my posts have always just been ‘reports’ on how I’m doing rather than responding to others! But I’m sorry if I’ve ignored some of you – not all posts show!
    I got good news today – I’ve lost a stone. In just under 4 weeks so I’m pleased and plan to carry on for another 4 weeks. Whatever the title for June turns out to be, I’ll be there! 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Everyone, if no one minds, I’ve set up the next challenge thread ready for Tuesday with Vroom. I’ll do my best to host although my participation may be scant some days,! Good luck and see you on ‘the other side’!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Kirstily – that recipe looks great and I’ll be exploring it later today.

How’s the weekend going for everyone? I do find it difficult as that’s when usually we have a drink or two and enjoy long brunches etc. But my WHY has kept me on track mostly. After a long cycle of stress and multiple bereavement, I developed high blood pressure. Never really thought myself a candidate for it – although Type 2 and dementia is in my family – and was very resistant to meds. It’s taken a few months to get tooled up with the information and the dietary structure that I should follow but, now I have my plan, I feel I must stuck to it to give myself the best chance of reversing this 1st stage of metabolic syndrome. I have lost loved ones to these diseases and I need to try my best to avoid them for my own children’s peace of mind.

Have been cooking lots of yummy stuff so that the whole family gets into this way of eating. I like food and convivial dinners so this aspect is important to me. I really hope I stay on track for the next 5 weeks and see that BP drop.

Keep up the good work my friends.

TB

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Kirstily, and fellow challengers! I know that I responded to your question about other’s experience
    with improving BP, but my post seems to have disappeared into the ether 🙂
    When I began this WOE, my BP was 160/90. Chloresterol was very high, as well. I saw my Dr. 6
    months later, and BP had fallen to 120/70, and all of my bloodwork was in the “optimal” range.
    To the best of my recollection, I had dropped in the vicinity of 90-95lbs. over the same time period.
    Just anecdotal, I know, but hopefully encouraging news for you! Congratulations breaking into the
    9s 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Thank you for the cloud bread link. I haven’t eaten bread in any form, low carb or otherwise, in
    approaching 2 years, but this recipe looks interesting! I’ll have to give some thought to whether
    or not I want to “risk it”!
    I’m really happy that so many of you want to “keep the ball rolling” and sign on for another 4
    weeks. Confidence and Energy, always a winning combination!
    Have a great day all,

Allie

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie, it’s 4.50 am for you! Can’t sleep? Just wanted to say A BIG thank you for your fabulous hosting of this challenge. Xx👏👏

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re very sweet, my dear friend 🙂 Yes, I’ve been wandering around like a nocturnal creature since
    1:30am. Time to just give up and put the coffeemaker on…The positive side of things is that I can
    “speak” to you all in real time, and get caught up on world events and the latest in American politics.
    I like to separate the “wheat from the chaff”, and not buy into all of the fake news that circulates 24/7
    from mainstream media!
    Happy to pass the baton to you, Kazzi. Thank YOU for stepping up. I know that you’ll bring your
    own unique sense of humor and good judgement to the journey 🙂 I would have cast my vote for
    the great title that you came up with, so you see, there is a certain symmetry in having you at the
    helm for the next 4 weeks…
    See you there,

Allie

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Kirstily and TB,
    Just to add to what Allie said I also had high blood pressure when I started BSD in August last year although I wasn’t taking any medication for it (hadn’t been to the GP for years so they discovered it at the same time as discovering the diabetes and high cholesterol).
    My BP wasn’t as high as Allie’s – it would sometimes veer down into pre-high blood pressure even in the first few weeks (I have a home BP monitor and used the NHS BP tool to check my results https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/blood-pressure.aspx ) but it is now consistently in the normal BP range. I lost the weight and took up exercise (walking 10,000 steps initially from a very low start, then including gym/exercise classes from October) so not sure what had the impact – you probably know more about that than me, my big focus was on my blood sugar levels – but hope this helps.
    Marie x

Allie – politics, politics, politics – what an omnishambles! xx

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Greeneyes – Thank you! I am only teeny (5’2”) so whilst 10 stone might sound small, for my height it’s not too great! I’m also only 24 and never had a kid so no excuses really! Massive congrats on your stone loss, that is truly incredible, I’m glad I’ll be seeing you in the next 4 week challenge!

KazzUK – Thanks for setting up the next challenge thread, not all heroes wear capes! 😋 See ya there!

Trundlebug – Honestly, try it! It’s so easy and you will be amazed (and possibly slightly puzzled!). I also find weekends tough because of the social aspect and also I always want to eat if I’m bored. I find keeping busy with DIY or housework really helps. I watched Eurovision last night with my bf and we were sooooo tempted to order a Dominoes but we resisted!

Allie – Thanks for the info on BP, not sure if it was directed at me or just generally! I think my BP has always been pretty solid (if a little low at times, I’m quite fainty) but I was very interested in this diet due to weight, GI problems and a hormonal imbalance. I’ve noticed a HUGE improvement in my skin which is an added bonus I’m absolutely loving. I really encourage you to try the cloud ‘bread’ – it’s not actually bread, it just tastes and feels quite like it! It is literally eggs, cream cheese and some seasoning, that’s IT! Crazy huh?

GENERAL UPDATE: I have got one of my friends to try out the BSD, she’s even bought the book! I also weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost another 2lbs which takes me into the ‘healthy weight’ BMI range for my height. I did a little dance.

Tried this recipe for breakfast this morning but swapped the heavy cream for 25g of cream cheese instead, delicious! I also added some finely grated vegetarian hard cheese (veggie parmesan) on top 😊 http://pinterest.com/pin/472526185897433787/?source_app=android

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sorry, Kirstily, I meant the BP results for Trundlebug 🙂 Don’t mind me! Sometimes my fingers work
    faster than my brain…

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Thank you, Alliecat, Marie123 and Co,

Your BP successes are really heartening to read and will help keep me on the straight and narrow.

I just bought this book – A Change of Appetite by Diana Henry and made a few things this weekend from it. Bloody hell, it’s good – the kids, partner and myself were in heaven. All the recipes are planned around the BSD principles and range from simple fast stuff to slightly time consuming stuff. I highly recommend it.

X

• posted by marie123
    on

Trundlebug – Well that’s quite funny – as part of my Spring Clean (which is going to still be happening in Autumn at this rate) I’ve just put Diana Henry’s book into a pile of books for the charity shop – somebody bought it for me (along with another of hers)and I’ve never really looked at it. Following your comment I’m going to have another look at it. Cheers

Kirstily, – Oops, I’m the one who’s made the mistake about your BP – sorry, but what fantastic news about getting into the 9s and into your healthy BMI range (well, ours actually – I’m also 5ft 2in) that’s such a great achievement. Big congratulations.

See everyone on Tuesday.
    Marie x

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi everyone, so glad we’re going to keep each other company on the next 4 week challenge!
    I weighed myself today as it is 4 weeks since I started my Fast 800 challenge and I’ve lost 16lbs.
    I’ve also moved from being 15-stone-something to 13 -stone something – well 15st 1 to 13stone 13 lbs, which makes it sound more than it actually is!
    So I’m feeling happy – especially as I have been determined to lose weight for a while and joined Slimming W and actually put ON weight and wasted time and money doing that.
    Looking forward to seeing how well you’ve all done on this challenge, and see you on the next one! x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Greeneyes, what a spectacular result for your first 4 weeks! I’m putting my dancing shoes on,
    and taking a turn about the room for you! Or would you prefer a celebratory virtual cartwheel or
    backflip? Zoom forward with us into June…You have every dream in the palm of your hand 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Congratulations green eyes! That’s a fab weight loss. Don’t deounce it – you have gone from 15-13 (the figures don’t lie). Look forward to June!
    Luv Tilly X

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Bloody Hell, Greeneyes amazing job! Totally inspiring to hear of your success.

I bet you are raring to go for the next 4 armed with that victory.

X

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Woo hoo!! I’ve done it! 9st 13.25 today. On weigh day too!. I’ll join June challenge and hopefully lose another couple of pounds (for wriggle room) off to Cromer in about an hour so we’ll see what I weigh when I come back.😬
    Good luck to everyone for tomorrow and KOKO! See you next week xx
    Tilly

• posted by pkd2004
    on

Well that’s been successful – 12lb loss. Very happy to report that. Another 1stone 6 lb to get into top of healthy zone so that’s still my aim 🙂 got a better grip on calories now – logging what I eat. Good luck to all, see you in next 4 week challenge.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Greeneyes and PKD – that is a fantastic result! You both must be over the moon! Fabulous!
    Tillybud – congratulations to you too, you did it! 🙂 Wonderful! Have a fabulous holiday in Cromer and see you next week! 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Hiya ladies
    Well done all on results and fab result greeneyes! Tilly I’m the same as you now – what are you hoping to get down to? Me I need to be around 9 stones preferably a couple of pounds under ideally. Loving the threads and Allie I felt that Happykangaroo was a little harsh on you but group therapy isn’t for everyone!
    Hopefully weigh in will see another lb down fingers crossed, but as I haven’t moved off the deckchair today – listen we don’t see the sun enough not to enjoy it- not holding my breath. Will now move to the Vroom into June thread and hopefully see you all there. Have a great evening xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you Milliemoo, very sweet of you to say, and it means a lot to me. Fortunately, this is a very open
    hearted and generous community, and this sort of thing is exceedingly rare here. Enjoy your sunbath! Some
    times we just have to “seize the day”, Carpe Diem!
    Very happy to hear that you will be continuing on with “the gang” into June 🙂 🙂 🙂 xx

• posted by lalala
    on

Hi all,
    Weighing in today was satisfying – a 1.9 kgs loss this week to take me to 80.6 and 11.4 kgs lost overall. Though looking back over the 4 week challenge I realise this past week has really been the only week I’ve been on board over this period. At any rate, I’m happy for the loss and hoping to keep up a good rate of weight loss over the next few weeks to hit 75 by June 4. I’m not a great 4 week challenge participant so I might give the next one a miss but I’ll be watching on from afar. Well done to everyone, particularly over what seems to have been a challenging period for many. Well done to Allie for hosting in a beautifully empathetic and encouraging way.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I’m with milliemoo, Allie. You were very polite and the funny thing is that HappyKanagaroo thread has become just as busy!

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning and congratulations on the fab losses!

I haven’t seen the other thread but please keep on doing what you are allie, you’re a wealth of support and knowledge.

I’m checking out of this challenge with a loss of 2,6kg , onwards and downwards in the next challenge, see you there!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Reporting a 3/4lb loss which is 5 1/4lbs over 4 weeks. Have got my wriggle room back and blood sugars are brilliant.

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Final loss was 11.4lbs over the 4 weeks! Bit frustrating that I’ve been at the same weight for two days, so it’ll probably come off tomorrow! Congrats to everyone who made it to the end, being on this forum really gave me the motivation, camaraderie and accountability that I needed to keep going. Ignore the haters Allie 😊

See you on the June thread.

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Between 1-1.5lbs this week. Slow and steady as she goes. Loving the forum and ready for the next week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

No loss to report this week. – Which in itself is a positive.
    Its been a challenging week, with carrier bags of bread, packets of scones, boxes of breakfast cereals and jars of jam left by guests in the holiday let, a stressful week in terms of work, happening at the same time as the mental hurdle of having reached my initial target and feeling lost on my WHY for carrying on.
    My resolve has broken a little for a few days in a row, with a few buttered scones, a slice of toast, a bowl of cereal and on the really bad day a crisp sandwich. – But on the positive side, it was kept under control. – I realise that the things I talked about wanting to experience, such as being fit enough to enjoy an experience gorilla watching in the jungle, just isn’t a strong enough desire to be a WHY. – A reward to myself for hitting a target, yes, but not a strong enough desire to stay on the path when its difficult. – I am still working on that.

Before I started on this way of eating, I would have dived into the cereals for late night snacks, sandwiches every day, and the occasionally round of toast. So not a fall off, but a controlled step off the wagon while I was stressed and a good experience when considering what’s important to me. Two days after the stressful period ended I have lost the small amount of weight gain made during this time. – So it’s good.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JGwen – well done for your controlled step off the wagon and equally controlled step back on it. Hope you find your strong WHY for difficult times.

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi all
    What an amazing set of results!! I carefully read through the thread and wrote notes to each of my new friends on here. 2 weeks ago I lost the post (took too long!! I think) then yesterday I threw out the notes to the dustbin men!! I thought ketosis was supposed to clear the mind!! Says a lot about me!! I have read all your posts and will try to get more involved in june.
    My progress continues to be positive although a couple of me blips (we are only human after all!!) but also some strange anomalies when my scales went mad +4 for no reason then took days to sort!! With focus and your support I just ploughed on and with Thursday on the horizon I am 11.25 lbs lighter for the challenge my FBG are now normal and afterfood all in the normal range. BP still higher than I would like but with 33lbs still to go I am not surprised.
    Thanks again all for being there. I had a target of 8lbs and by Thursday it will be 12 great news BMI 30.6 so near to being just!!! Overweight!!
    See you all on the other side xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Last day of this challenge, and what a wonderful set of accomplishments to see in black and white! I repeat
    this each and every challenge, but just have to say it again, can’t help myself 🙂 Something magical happens
    when a group of us at all points on the journey pool our resources, and we become fierce and greater than the sum of
    our parts! For anyone who lost focus briefly, no harm done. This is a marathon and not a sprint, and the
    overriding positive is that you haven’t given up. 🙂 I can’t begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed making
    new friends, and continuing on with old ones. I certainly plan to be on hand when you reach each and
    every goal. We like partying here, and I see many on the horizon. I’ll sign off from this challenge, very
    proud of you all, and I’ll leave you with this visual image…Imagine that I’ve sent a meat wagon to each of
    you to collect all the kg/stones of fat that have been discarded during the past 4 weeks. It is at this moment
    en route to the garbage dump, where it belongs! Imagine bells ringing, and sirens blaring. Hooray for us
    all 🙂
    Vroom, vroom! Leave the light on Kazz.. I’m on my way!

xxx Allie

• posted by Mariet
    on

I’m a Day Kate to finish up on this challenge, 100g above target and about half a kilo up on the start. I’m putting it down to the kitchen tea on Saturday. The graph in MFP is showing a small but discernible upward trend so back to basics on the next challenge! I seem to have said that a lot 🤭

Great results for so many of you! Congratulations all. See you over there, and Allie, you have done such a marvellous job here this month, well done you. You really give of yourself.

Please log in or register to post a reply.