"SWING INTO MAY, THE LOW CARB WAY" 4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 15th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, everyone! I’m excited to see what we may all accomplish on the new challenge,
    and huge congratulations to everyone who has contributed to this one and is still “hanging in”!
    The current one ends on tuesday, so let’s Carry On into May, together. I hope new friends
    will join us, too! Who’s in? 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie,
    I am in, and I would like to start the thread off by asking about others experiences of the whoosh phase, and if there is a way to discourage large whoosh build ups.
    I have found just recently that I seem to be going through cycles where I am very thirsty and input of water isn’t matched by output, each day my weight goes up a little over a week plus, then there is a whoosh event and all the gained weight plus a little more flows away in one night. Its become quite dramatic since my body decided that the inches should be coming from the spare tyre region, with a gain of upto 2kg before the loss.
    I wondered if people who had a lot to loose found that the size of the whoosh went up depending on the area of fat the body was working on, my thinking is that it sort of stands to reason that a circle of fat around a leg is going to be smaller than the outer layer of fat of your spare tyre.
    What I can’t work out is why the whoosh always happens over multiple visits to the loo at night time…… Not that I have worked out if it would be better to have a day a week where you can’t go far from the loo instead of a night of disturbed sleep. – But as you can imagine 2kg of water is a lot of waterfalls in one night.

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Hi Alliecat and JGwen – joining for the first time actually started on Sunday and so far finding it OK was a bit tired today but did also walk 3 plus miles so maybe that was why. Sadly away this weekend on a corporate do with my husband and dreading it as I feel that I am so in the mode and this weekend could undo all the good work – now I know what foods to eat/ avoid hopefully I will be fine. I notice that I am actually quite thirsty on this diet and am not finding drinking the 3 litres too hard has anyone else found this? Will weigh in tomorrow and update you all on the 15th. Fingers crossed that a new me is emerging then!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie. Many thanks for setting this up. I have been taking a breather and maintaining for a month, but will join you all for another push. Onwards and downwards! Sorry JGwen, but can’t help with whoosh experiences. Do yours coincide with particular foods that have a diuretic effect – asparagus, green tea, berries..?

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Hello

I’m new too and would love to join – have been reading up over the last few days, and decided not to put it off any longer and just start! I have around four stones to lose, so may be here a while. I have downloaded the lose it app to count calories and keep track of fat/protein/carbs, so hopefully I’m doing it right.

Jgwen, can’t help with the whoosh, as I haven’t whooshed yet lol but I’ll be hoping I do.
    Millie moo, I too been more thirsty today, am sure someone can let us know why, and good luck with your weigh in.

• posted by edwinamerryweather
    on

Hello!

I am very excited to join y’all!
    Currently doing the online program, and enjoying the recipes.
    Feeling a bit rough these first few days, but hey, that’s okay. It will pass.
    Finishing my degree next month, so need to get into the ‘swing’ of this pretty sharpish, get the habits nailed,
    and graduate looking fabulous!

Looking forward to getting to know you all…

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

JGwen, I am also seeing some odd days of “weight gain” where there should not be any (per eating according to BSD). And it doesn’t seem to be clearly linked to GI transit issues. Everything just seems a bit odder now that I am tapping into deeper layers of older fat (have lost everything I gained over the last 10 years….so we are mining the older stuff now). Beats me as to what is going on….certainly requires more patience and faith in the process.

I did read an interesting Aussie article from researchers at U of NSW. They found that on average we drink about 3 kg of water and day and we pee out the same 3 kg of water. But on top of that, of the 1.1g of food we eat or fat we burn, another .280kg is also excreted as additional water in our urine along with .035 kg of urea solids. The remainder, or .740kg (the majority of it) is actually exhaled as CO2 (carbon dioxide).

This leaves me still wondering how you can go days with no weight loss and then overnight 2 lbs comes off. I had always thought it was probably sitting as water replacing the volume of fat lost and “whooshed” away down the loo. CO2 certainly does not weight 2 lbs.

Ah, the mysteries of science and weight loss. Clearly something else is going on that is different from the “norm”.

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

JGwen been thinking about the whoosh – on the try to lose weight campaign I came across a Japanese breathing technique which was supposed to help with weight loss – weird I know and I ended up with a red face but anyway the claim was that fat cells are made up of oxygen, hydrogen and fat when the cells break down they break into carbon dioxide which you breathe out and water maybe this is the whoosh effect the fat cells breaking down and disappearing. I generally wee twice a night anyway and have had disturbed sleep for a couple of years now , think that it is menopause so hoping that this diet will also help with those symptoms.

• posted by LLFT
    on

Hi Everyone!
    I would love to join your 4 week challenge, please.
    I have been doing this diet close to two weeks now. I am actually generally feeling really good and not hungry at all. However, yesterday, I was hungry the moment I woke up and then all day, too, and I felt quite light headed all day. Happily, that seems to have passed and Ive woken today feeling good again. My only complaint is that I’m quite tired, but I have young kids so it could be more something to do with that 😀
    I haven’t had the “whoosh” as you’ve described it, JGwen, but I have had two days of not losing anything then, suddenly overnight I lose a pound! It doesn’t seem to make sense. And then, weirdly, yesterday I weighed myself during the day as I had to weigh my dog and she wouldn’t stand on the scales. I had already put on 1.4kg (3lb) since my morning weigh-in, and I hadn’t even had lunch. I guess it was the water, as this morning I weighed again (concerned about the 1.4kg increase!) and had lost half a pound compared to yesterday morning. No idea where it all goes!! 🙂

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, I’m in again. Thanks, Allie, for setting this up.
    My goals for this challenge are the same, to settle further into maintenance and try to embed better ways of dealing with social events. Maybe we’ll have some cooler weather here soon, this hot autumn has encouraged barbeques and gatherings in the beer garden of the pub which encourages too many bubbles.
    Starting at the top of my maintenance band and my aim will be to get a little wiggle room over the 4 weeks.

• posted by lalala
    on

Hey all, and thanks Allie for setting this up – and for everything!
    I’m in week 8, and so far have lost 9.8 kgs – weighing in at 82.2 this morning. My goals for this next 4 weeks are to finish off the 8 week sprint by losing 12 kgs, and hopefully by May 15 I will have lost another 5 kgs to take me to 75kgs.
    JGwen – can’t say I have much experience with whoosh events – my weight loss is inconsistent, but my eating isn’t 100% consistent either in terms of calories or carbs, so I put it down to that mostly and I’m ok with that (now, finally). I’m trying to just focus on the trend – downwards. The last few weeks have been slower than I would have liked, but still trending down, and probably consistent with how strict/relaxed I am on carb and calorie intake, which really I need to reign in to see maximum loses. In my case, I have lots of hormonal issues, so trying to get comfortable with the fact that there will be fluctuations throughout the month in line with my cycle. Sometimes they’re unpredictable which is frustrating, but trusting the wisdom and evidence provided my many forum members that this does work if you stick with it! Just trying to keep up the water, keep the carbs low and keep an eye on calories.
    Love your work crew. Hoping the next 4 weeks are productive and insightful 🙂

• posted by Gattina
    on

I’m in, thanks for setting this up Allie.
    My goal is to lose 14lbs over the next four weeks. I’ve had some weight gain but I have still lost 2 stone overall and another 14 lbs will take me to a 3 stone weight loss.
    I’m feeling very motivated now and started another 8 week round yesterday so I can do this.
    Here goes…

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Morning all, I would love to join you too.
    Im looking forward to healthy eating again having not really got back on track since Christmas. Christmas 2016! I know!
    So thanks Allie for setting this up. I would love to have shifted between 8lbs and 12lbs by the end of the four weeks (hopefully the latter).
    Oimadam x

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello everyone! I too would like to join this challenge, thank you Allie. My goal is to loose a stone in the next 4 weeks. This is quite tough but I am going to break it down into chunks – total 16lb and aim for 4lb a week. This will take a lot of focus. I will try and help myself by watching other people’s successes! I seem to be on a mini-plateau at the moment and really need a good “whoosh”.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Morning everybody! I’d love to join this challenge too. This is R1, W3, D1 for me and I’ve lost 6,8kg/15lbs so far, most of it on the first week.

My goal is to lose at least 30kg/66lbs more which would take me to a healthy bmi, so a long way to go still….

I’m happy with the weight loss so far and even happier that I’ve managed to stick to the plan!
    My usual modus operandi is to start a diet, lose some weight, reward myself by eating too much of something I shouldn’t and then decide there’s no point, I’m doomed to be fat… so for me to strictly follow the diet for 2 weeks seems like a victory in itself. As hard as the first week was, it was so worth it since I seem to be mostly over the worst sugar cravings now.

My mini challenge for myself this week is to find a good fat/protein/carb ratio that keeps me and the scales happy. Looking forward to chatting to you all!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Allie glad to see you’ve taken over the ‘mantle’. I’d love to come along for the ride so that I can keep in touch with everyone. It’s good to see so many new comers and I wish you all a great journey to good health.

My goal for this challenge will be to take ‘one week at a time’ to improve different aspects of my diet. So to that end I will start a separate thread to run alongside this for anyone else, like me, who puts everything off until the last minute. I find that because I have 4 weeks to achieve my goal I am lax for the first couple because I have plenty of time. Then I make a proper start but time is running out so I give up and I don’t meet my goal! Crazy but there you go. But I’m looking forward to a 4 week run anyway.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Allie
    Am joining this challenge also – but definitely will join Verano’s one week challenge as well as I need all the help i can get to keep up the momentum. My goal is to lose another. 5lbs over the challenge so I have some wriggle room and continue to maintain the excellent blood sugars that I achieved last week.

• posted by OiMadam
    on

Amarela, your usual modus operandi sounded just like mine. 😂

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Thx Alli
    May I join, I’m aiming to loose 6 kilo this month starting weight 111.8 so take me down to 115.8 so all planned, off we go
    Verano hi there what’s your thread called, glad you are back 😊
    Good luck everyone
    🙋jan

• posted by Marsie
    on

There we go, Ms Alliecat, easy peasy. Thanks for setting us up.
    Starting this challenge at 60.2kg
    I’ll also be using Verano’s one week challenge to keep me interested/focused, instead of tailing off as the 4 weeks draw to a close. My goal setting starts to sound repetitive after all this time but here we go:
    Goals:
    :Staying hydrated as our weather cools will be an issue so therefore a goal. Minimum 1.5l water, topping up with my usual cups of green and herbal teas.
    :Only Mediterranean Diet friendly foods, as per the M Plan from the book. On a small plate to be aware of portion sizes.
    :I’ll weigh and track everything on at least 2 days/week. I get so tired of doing it that I know now that I’ll never do it every single day, but I will endeavor to eat as though I were weighing measuring tracking.
    :get back to my low weights (the challenge before last!) in the 58kg range.

Exciting to see some well known names, some returning names and some new names. Wishing everyone success as we journey on together.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Allie, Marsie and everyone

Just wanted to say I’ve decided not to join this challenge. I’ve reached my 9st goal – well, 9st 0.5lb, but employing Marsie’s grandson’s strategy (another thread) I’m going to call that 9st. I know I still have too many inches around the waist, visceral fat etc so I’m going to switch to monitoring health markers other than weight from now on, so still moving forward, but for now I’m going to take a wee break from the Challenges.

I’ll still be lurking though, keeping an eye on how everyone’s going and cheering as you go. Good luck everyone.
    Marie xx

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Hi there – I am in. Have also joined the 1 week challenge on another thread as I enjoyed that ladt week. Hoping for 8lbs over the 4 weeks.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Oh Marie, I’m looking at that strategy with new eyes now, and I’m all for it.😃 You go for it Marie, doing absolutely the best you can for you. We’ll miss you so pop in for a cuppa and a chat any time xx

• posted by jojodoodle
    on

Interested in the whoosh effect as it is something I have experienced. My view now is that I generally average a certain amount over a period if time – say 1.5-2lbs pet week. But that can be some weeks virtually nothing then 3lbs the next. Why that happens no idea but I am perimenopause so my body constantly surprises me. 😉

• posted by Oh2bthin
    on

Hi all – count me in too, looking to lose 7lb during this challenge and up the exercise.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I would like to join please.
    I was part of the last challenge but I haven’t done that well until the end!
    So my mission is to lose 10lbs over the challenge – that would take me to my lowest weight for 10 years!
    I really need to do this and more importantly I want to.

We are promised some good weather in the UK from tomorrowso onwards and downwards (for the weight that is!!)
    MM

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Hi everyone, I would like to join in this challenge. I want to lose 12 pounds and get my carbs under control. Plus I will join Verano on her 7 day challenge. I have a wedding to go in a little over 5 weeks and would like to lose as much as I can.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, I am formally signing up to the challenge to help me stay on track by having a weekly weigh in, but am not going to set a target weight loss.
    Thanks for the comments about whoosh factor guys. – I didn’t want to be specific before because I wanted to see what each persons story was, but I seem to go through a cycle at present of sponge days drinking 2 or 3 litres, very little urine, and a weight gain of around 0.4kg a day, and then after a few days there will be a “waterfall night” with 1.5 to 2 kg weight loss and a loss in waist/hip measurements.
    I am coming to the conclusion that this is just a stage in my journey, moving from decades of high carb, low protein, and lots of coffee, to low carb, high protein, and adding lots of soda water as well as coffee will involve a range of adjustments. I have a few ideas to research further and if I come up with an answer I will pass it on, but I suspect its simply down to the size of the area of fat my body is using as its energy source which means there is a large area of fat cells to fill with water as the fat is used up before the cells collapse and the water is flushed out.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Thanks Allie for setting up this challenge, I’m not I’d have stuck with it without these four week challenges!

Today’s weight: 150.5lb (though I’ve been down to 149 recently)
    Current loss since 10th Feb: 17lbs
    Target for the 4 weeks: 140.
    2.5lb per week, let’s do this!

Goals:
    *DRINK MORE WATER! This has really slipped for me recently.
    *Exercise! I intended to start this on the last challenge but I didn’t.
    *Gratitude! I’m going to start checking in on the positive thoughts thread too.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Not quite 9:00am my side of the pond, and I’m overjoyed to see so many joining in on this new
    challenge! I see that I’m going to be busy 🙂 A big welcome to our new members! There is always
    something magical about the mix of old timers, those well into the journey, and newbies excited to
    learn what this WOL (way of life) can offer. It’s sometimes difficult to choose a thread when just
    starting out, but I’m more than convinced that the 4 week challenges offer more opportunities for
    success than individual newbie threads.
    We’re all seemingly very focused on our goals, and it IS wonderful to share them! Day 1 en route
    to achieving them 🙂 🙂 🙂 More personal posts will follow, but I dare not attempt it today for fear
    of missing someone. I’m delighted that so many names I recognize are here too! Let’s get “fierce”
    and marshal our collective, considerable resources. Anything and everything is possible when
    we travel this road together!!!!

Allie

• posted by vegelante
    on

Hi Everyone!
    I’ve been trying out the low carb lifestyle since December, following mainly the advice on dietdoc.com. I lost 20lbs, but have regained about half of it having slipped the last few weeks. Now getting back on track with renewed determination but saw this site and thought it maybe suited my needs more. I am vegetarian (no meat, fish or eggs) and have struggled to keep to a low carb/keto goal. I’m now hoping to find the advice and inspiration on here to help steer me in the right, long term direction 🙂
    best wishes and good luck to you all during the next 4 weeks x

• posted by Bumblebe999
    on

Hey All,

I’ve been following these threads on and off since the beginning of the year, and am excited to join such a supportive and creative group of people.

Today’s weight: 62.4kg (137lbs)
    Target for the 4 weeks: 58kg (128lbs)
    That’s a little over a kg a week (2.4lbs)

A little bit about me: An international move, a broken hand, and wonderful German beer and bread had adversely affected my weight. As well as rather enthusiastic involvement in the admittedly slothful student lifestyle. Now I’m not complaining, I’m pretty much living my dream right now so it was all worth it. However this WOE has given me tools to control my weight (my parents had a lot of success on it). The new semester has given me a new beginning, I’ve been able to sign up for some sports. Also not dealing so regularly with the German bureaucracy has done wonders for my stress and general well being which has resulted in the weight fading fairly easily. I’m in utter awe of all of you for working so studiously together towards your goals. I’ve been a little intimidated to post because I feel that my weight loss goal is so modest, but I’m determined to be the healthiest and happiest version of myself I can! So glad I finally decided to join you and keep myself accountable.

• posted by Gattina
    on

The first day of a new challenge is so exciting – lots of determined people posting and committing to improve their lives. I’m looking forward to this challenge – and the weekly one to complement this one! Welcome all newbies – I hope you find this helpful and enjoyable 🙂
    It’s mid afternoon here in the UK and I’m at work feeling bored with what I’m doing – so easily distracted by all the posts here. On a positive note I’m feeling much more motivated to follow this woe and feel able to stick to this. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about those magic questions: what do I want and why? I’m not sure I have all the answers yet but I do know that I want to be healthier and more able to enjoy life – losing the weight will help me achieve it – as well as controlling my diabetes and hopefully going into remission.
    I started this at 18 stones
    I stuck to it for 10 weeks and got down to 15 st 3 lbs
    I lost it completely for 6 weeks and my weight has increased to 16 st
    On my weigh-in next week I will be 15 st 7 – I’m determined
    Good luck everyone and KOKO

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Everyone. I’m here again with some new energy
    current weight 83.4kg
    goal to loose 1kg per week. and to finally join an exercise group.
    Thanks Allie for setting this up, great to see we have a great mix of new and old friends.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello everyone
    Am joining in this May challenge because things don’t seem to be going too well with my maintenance. This morning I weighed in at 4lb above my goal weight. I have let crackers into my life and have suffered the consequences of crackers and cheese and crackers with peanut butter. Apart from the crackers I have been right on track but slowly my weight is creeping up. I’ve been doing more walking and even bought a weighted hula hoop and have learnt to hula hoop after watching how to do it onYouTube. So, I am swinging into May the low carb way with you all and my aim is to get back to my target weight of 133 lb.

Cathy

• posted by JGwen
    on

Welcome vegelante,
    It is much harder to keep low carb for vegetarians than for meat eaters.
    There has been a thread for vegetarians where people have shared recipes, as well as a general recipes thread which may give you some ideas. It is a very supportive group of people on the forum generally so just sing out if you have a question.

• posted by wendyq
    on

My goal for these 4 weeks is to lose 10lb which will bring me to 12 stone.Ive been following this woe for a few weeks now and have lost 10lb,it was coming off more slowly than most people and I was getting a bit discouraged but realise we are all different.Last week I lost 2 and a half pounds,my best week yet.It has taken me these last few weeks to get into it properly and learn a lot from reading the forums.Something always seems to crop up to sabotage my efforts eg people coming for dinner,going away for a couple of days but this next month is pretty free so I can really go for it.I eat a mostly vegetarian diet ,although eat fish occasionally.A book that I’ve found really useful and read it all the time is the Low Carb Vegetarian Diet by Rose Elliot,you should get it Vegelante for ideas and inspiration.I have learned so much and gained so much inspiration from these forums,thanks everyone for posting.I know I can do it and be slim again .

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Hi everyone,
    Im joining in with this. Always appreciated the motivation ive got from others in the same boat. I did Bsd last year and it worked really well but have let things slide. I am currently 10stone 13 and looking to get nearer 9 1/2 stone. I am getting married next year, so want to start trying dresses around July, a great motivator! Over 4 weeks I’d be happy to lose half a stone.

Lets do this!

• posted by MirandaG
    on

Hopping over from April to join you lovelies in May! Thanks Allie for setting this up.
    I’ve just started week 6 and have more determination than ever before.
    JGwen, really wish I could add something useful to the whoosh question but it’s not really something that has happened for me. I can only honestly say there hasn’t been any pattern or trend to any of my good moments on the scales. In fact, the better days I’ve had have been on the back of getting out of bed feeling bloated and fat!
    Looking forward to the next few weeks in all of your company
    Miranda x

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes, Yes, Yes, Wendyq! You CAN do it! JGwen is our resident vegetarian BSD success story, Vegelante and Wendy.
    She will find you, if you don’t find her first, and I know she will be a great help with suggestions. Welcome to
    the forums and our family. I’m looking forward to following your progress 🙂

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendyq,
    There are so many flavours of low carb diets, with different views on what counts as low carb. I have a copy of the Low Carb Vegetarian Diet by Rose Elliot, but have found that at my current stage of weight loss most of the dishes are too high in carbs for me, maybe something to go back to once I head into maintenance – I am down 33kg so far, and now my targets are about dress size.

I started on this journey in October 2017 and lurked on the forum listening to the advice that the people who have been successful in both loosing weight and keeping it off were passing on.

For that reason I used one of apps (I use fat secret) on my mobile phone and log everything each day. I know its really difficult get very low carb without meat or fish, but my experience is that by setting myself a target of staying in the 20 to 30g carb range each day has been central in changing my appetite and reducing hunger. So helping me get to the place where I don’t think of this way of eating as a short term fix and I can now take or leave bread, and other carbs.

There is a thread where people have suggested veggie recipes, as well as some others on the website that you can find using the search option but I am sure Luvtocook will be along with suggestions if you need extra advice.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi everyone,
    Wow this is such a busy thread already!
    Lovely to see both old and new names here 🙂 Thanks Allie for setting it up.
    I didn’t do too well at all in the last challenge, with a net gain of 200g over the 4 weeks. I just haven’t been able to get back into a weight loss rhythm since Christmas! And now Easter has come and gone…
    I’ve decided this challenge that instead of setting a goal weight for myself I’m going to set some non-scale goals instead. We’ve all heard of NSVs, well these are my NSGs 🙂
    1. Stick to 800 calories for the 4 weeks, especially on weekdays, and no more than 1000 calories on weekends.
    2. Move more – I currently walk on average 9-10,000 steps per day. I’m going to increase this by going for a longer walk at lunchtime, the weather has started to cool here thankfully, making the thought of a lunchtime walk more appealing. (35 degrees centigrade in April, when it is supposed to be Autumn is a bit much!).
    3. Record my fluid intake to make sure I’m drinking 2-3 litres per day.
    So essentially it’s back to basics for me! I’m certain that if I work on these 3 goals and not get side-tracked, then weight loss will follow.
    Starting weight: 93.7kgs
    Good luck all!

• posted by SarahChebel
    on

Hi Allie and everyone!

Hope I can join this thread? Ive just done my first two weeks…. it’s not been easy but I think Its starting to get a little easier now. I was so hungry to begin with but I’m managing to control it a little better!

It’s so great to have a 4 week challenge! My birthday is at end of May and I would love to loose a fair amount be then, 🤞🏻
    Today’s weight: 64.3kg
    Goal weight for 4 weeks: 60kg
    This is a bit ambitious for me but I’m going to stick to the plan, read through everyone else’s experience and exercise more! Oh and drink lots and lots of water!
    Good luck everyone!!!!
    Sarah xx

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Hello

End of my second day and I was 903 cals😬 On the positive side I noted and counted everything that I put in my mouth, whereas before I would not have done that, and also my total carbs were 28g. I wonder how often people weigh in? I may have a peek mid week, but not sure if this is a good thing as I know how much weight can fluctuate.

Oh well onwards and downwards, hopefully in both weight and calories consumed tomorrow!

• posted by wendyq
    on

Thanks JGwen for your support .As I lowered my carb intake to about 20g a day it was amazing to not feel hungry and my sweet tooth has pretty much gone away.My hubby can’t believe it, how I still have loads of energy despite eating so little compared to what I used to eat.
    I like the idea of non scale goals as well.Ive upped my fluid intake to 3 litres a day which has made a difference.Sometimes I can’t stand water anymore so drink herbal tea, also bovril occasionally.I need to keep tabs on my calories better but find logging everything in to my fat secret a bit tedious but I’ll have to get over it and just do it if I’m going to reach my goal.Good luck with your goals everyone.

• posted by vegelante
    on

Hi all
    Thanks for replies and advice so far. Rose Elliot does do some lovely recipes! JGwen – your 33kg since October is really inspiring!
    I initially managed to keep to under 20g carbs a day, and lost a lot over the first month, then Christmas came along but I managed to maintain the loss despite the festivities 🙂 Since January though, I decided to up the carb limit to between 30 and 40, as that leaves room for meat alternatives, which make recipes with no meat/fish/egg a little more interesting. I was using Myfitnesspal to record daily intake, which showed that my calories were never usually above 900, but then they had a security breach so not been on there for a few weeks! It’s interesting to see some other ideas on here as to where we can carb count. I also try and keep to a 16/8 fast which is easier than I thought it would be.
    Looking forward to the next few weeks…

• posted by treelady
    on

Count me in for this challenge – forgot to sign off from the last one, and despite many ups (and ups) and downs with my weight in April, I am pleased to report a 4lb loss overall. More importantly, as JGwen already mentioned, the last challenge raised some very interesting internal questions for me, some of which are still not resolved.
    I think for this challenge I will set some non scale goals to follow through with the self reflection stage I am in at the moment rather than a weight loss goal. Weighing myself everyday last month was a real eye-opener in terms of what your body does, but I found I got very down when the scales showed an increase, and then over-confident when they showed a loss – self sabotaging myself with a ‘treat’ because the scales said I could. I was amazed at how strong my inner negative voice could be, and how often I would listen to it without realising (such as when I went to the garden centre and automatically went into the cafe for coffee and cake, because that’s what I always do when I go to the garden centre).
    I have dropped one trouser size last challenge, and want to drop another this challenge, and I need to add in some exercise because last month was frankly woeful on that front. But Spring has finally sprung here, so much more walking and gardening beckons.
    I have got used to meals without rice / potatoes / pasta / bread etc, and I want to spend this month focusing on creating a stockpile of new recipes with green leafy things that can become my go-to recipes for the summer now.
    Oh, and drinking water, water, water – I so do not do enough of that.

• posted by pkd2004
    on

I’m joining in again. I did very well, very briefly two years ago, but didn’t stick with it. I’ve got into an even worse weight situation now, so am trying again. I started Sunday this week, weighed myself Monday and was 70kg (11stone?). I’m looking to get to under 9 stone (I’m short!) but for a four week slot I’d like to get under 10 stone (fingers crossed). This looks a really supportive thread, I’m glad to be a part of it.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning all lovely people – hope this post finds every one well. The sunshine these past couple of days has really lifted my spirits.
    Treelady – JGwen certainly did raise some interesting questions and I’ve been pondering them too… this is such a massive life-changing process that it will inevitably get us thinking about our motivations, belief systems, habits in all areas of our lives – at least it has for me. But it’s lovely being part of a supportive group who can share these thoughts and encouraging to know others are struggling with similar issues.
    Vegelante – I’m a veggie – have been for many years and I am sticking to 30g of carbs a day. I really can’t go any lower and have any kind of variety in my food. I’m the sort of cook that likes to throw things together and see what comes out – but that doesn’t work for this woe so I list the ingredients I want to use on MFP and tweak them to fit in with my daily allowances before actually cooking. I’m very reliant on eggs for protein, tofu, cheese, soya beans, nut, seeds and Linda McCartney sausages/burgers. I did start taking some protein powder to boost the protein intake but I don’t really like it so I don’t have it very often. Chia seed pudding is a revelation – I love it 🙂
    One of my favourites at the moment is to fry some tofu then add to a casserole dish with lightly steamed kale and broccoli or asparagus and add grated cheese on top. Bake in over for a few minutes to melt the cheese and just dry out the veg – it’s a very easy standby but seems to be hitting the spot for me at the moment. You can easily add any herbs and spices to your own taste.

Have a good day everyone
    xx

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello all – another beautiful day, Gattina, to keep us Brits encouraged!
    I have weighed the same since this time last week and am feeling a bit confused as I am doing what I can. I drink more than 3ltrs of water a day and can’t really see how I can do much more. I am really keen not to give up as I feel so unwell when I eat too many of the bad carbs.
    I did measure myself this morning and do seem to have lost an inch round my waist, nowhere else. Isn’t it strange how you can loose an inch but no weight? To make sure I measure seems to be my way of KOKO.
    Hope everyone is doing well xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.