"SWING INTO MAY, THE LOW CARB WAY" 4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 15th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi M2M
    I’m not participating in this challenge, having a bit of a rest, but just read your post. Don’t worry too much about being stuck, pretty much everyone experiences plateaus of some length or other. It’ll all come right in the end. Great news about the inch loss . My measurements are still the same as the last time I measured, but if and when they change I’ll post them on your thread.

Hope you, and everyone else, has a great day. xx

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Dear All – some help needed here I am away this weekend of my first week on the challange and so far I feel really pleased 6lb off in 5 days ( I started on Sunday) I am now scared that I will put this weight back on – disaster! I am wondering whether to take my 0.5 litre drink bottle in my handbag so I can keep a tab on how much I drink – hope nobody thinks it’s all Vodka!! Can I sit there and pick at my food without appearing rude? It’s a corporate ‘do’ with my husband’s company so lots of food and drink. Any advice?
    I think this thread is fab – so motivational and emotional we are all on this journey together because losing weight is soooo hard, but as I look like an ‘Umpaloompa’ something needed to happen. My husband has been great and because I love jewellery he has promised me a ‘stone for a stone’ so really need to knuckle down and stick with this.
    Good luck all and have a great day! Xx

• posted by Kirstily
    on

I’m in! Started on 15th April and I’m having a bit of a confidence crisis as I’ve not lost any weight at all … I’ve stayed at 148.8lbs EXACTLY for the past four days ☹️

Does anyone want to start a WhatsApp group?

• posted by Kirstily
    on

@milliemoo

If you don’t want to tell them you’re on a diet you could say that you’re feeling a little under the weather so don’t feel like eating much or that you’ve just started some new medication which has made you lose you appetite?

• posted by Verano
    on

Millie Moo … don’t worry too much we are all very self conscious about this way of eating when we first start. Saying you don’t eat potatoes etc. often gets a response such as …. how can you live without bread, or potatoes or whatever…. but we all do! The reality is that most people are so engrossed in what they are eating and drinking themselves they won’t even notice that you are leaving anything on your plate. You can always ask not to be served potatoes or whatever if you don’t feel strong enough to push them to one side. This is a whole new way of eating/living just enjoy!

• posted by Amarela
    on

Hi Millie Moo! I’m in the exact same position as I’m away on a work conference this weekend and also dreading it… I’m going with a few colleagues and really don’t want to discuss my eating/not eating with them.
    So far my plan of action is to skip breakfast both days and try to pick the least damaging options for lunch and dinner. Hoping at least lunch will be buffet style.

Nothing to report here weight wise but will step on the scales tomorrow morning to check on the progress.

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Thanks great advice – fingers crossed!
    Kirstily I think the secret is to drink loads and also try just before you eat also try eating no later than 6pm if you can and eat slowly so your brain can catch up with the hunger pains. Also don’t lose heart it could be that your body is getting rid of the fat floating in your bloodstream before it moves onto the ‘hardcore stuff’. Keep at it and the weight will start to come off. X

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Millie Moo
    I agree with Verano – everyone is so engrossed in what they themselves are eating that they actually don’t notice what you are eating. I felt very self conscious in the beginning – before I realised that almost nobody noticed what I was eating.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, everyone! Milliemoo and Amarella, we’ve all faced the dilemna of how to manage this WOE in a professional
    setting/social setting, not wanting to feel that “all eyes” are on us 🙂 I do agree with Verano (Hi V.!), most are too involved
    in conversation and what’s on their own plate to notice what may be on yours! “Food allergies” sometimes works, but
    “Antibiotics” is always a reliable standby, particularly when used to explain why you aren’t drinking. It may sound
    counter intuitive, but alcohol can cause some nasty surprises on the scales because it precipitates fluid retention. I
    did a very strict 10 months on the Fast800, and on the 2 holidays where I did drink wine, next weigh in showed a gain
    of 1.5 – 2lbs, and it took 5-7 days to shift. Basically, I had lost an entire week of progress each time! Lesson learned,
    and I didn’t do that again 🙂 🙂 🙂 Millie, I just love the concept of a stone for a stone! Having the support of loved
    ones makes a big difference. So much easier when you can just sweep the house clean of the “bad stuff”, par-
    ticularly when it’s early days. You are both already on the right track in bringing your concerns here, so try and
    enjoy the weekend, and most importantly, let us know how your strategies work for you!
    Sueblue, I’m very happy that you’ll be with us! You, too, clarinetcathy and greenjanet. These threads “sing” when
    more experienced BSDers participate in the 4 wk. challenges! Please forgive me if I’ve left anyone out, old timers
    or new members to our community. When I began this thread, I never imagined it would be this popular, but I’m
    very excited to see what we can accomplish together!
    Have a great day, all

Allie

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

This is the most positive I’ve felt for quite a few weeks! I am 100% focused on getting back to goal! Yesterday I drank four litres of water. This morning I have been for a very very long walk without any breakfast and my legs are actually aching. It is 65 days until my son gets married and I plan to be below goal weight for his wedding day. I have maintained my weight since November last year but slowly and surely the odd pound has crept on. When I saw that I was 4lb over goal I knew I had to go back to basics and hence have joined in with this challenge. Like many on here I am a strict vegetarian and although my weight loss wasn’t as fast as others, I did lose 3 stone in 11 months and that was without any exercise. My top tip for this way of eating is not to be inpatient with your weight loss. I often compared myself to others and felt disappointed when I didn’t have a loss on the scales. Often, the scales didn’t move but my clothes felt loose. As a dieter of 30 unsuccessful years with the usual WW and SW I can tell you that with patience this way of eating definitely works for those of us who have struggled to lose weight. I still weigh myself every morning and that keeps me in check. Good luck to everyone who is on this thread whether you are beginners to this way of eating or long timers who are still plodding on with our success, Patience is a virtue and I am a prime example of the tortoise who kept on going and did eventually reach the end. My journey was definitely slow. This is not a diet but a way of life now and that’s where so many of us went wrong over the years by thinking we could go back to “normal” once we had lost our weight and ended up even bigger.

Thanks Allie for being our guru and inspiring us all on our journey.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

“My top tip for this way of eating is not to be inpatient with your weight loss” – thank you Cathy I will try to remember this

• posted by alliecat
    on

ClarinetCathy, your post today illustrates my point that old timers have so much to offer this community in terms of
    wisdom, knowledge and experience. Great post!! I couldn’t possibly agree more that this is a WOL, and not another
    diet 🙂 I’ve had 22 months to consider it all, and the conclusion I’ve reached is that what is “normal” eating eludes some
    of us, and there are also others who define “normal” as that which is normal for friends and family that are blessedly
    free from insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome or diabetes issues. We have to find what the “new normal” is for
    us to be successful, and those tools are all readily available in MMosley’s books and on this forum. There is more
    than enough flexibility to suit any lifestyle with this WOE, and anything is possible 🙂 🙂 🙂

Great day, all

Allie

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Hi all

I struggled yesterday, not really sure why – but there I was hiding in the fridge eating. Why do I do this, I only end up feeling worse. And guilty which I do not like at all lol.

Anyway today is a new day and the sun is finally shining in Scotland and that always makes me feel brighter. So I planned and prepped my meals today, so I could potter in the garden, and now I’m going to read in the sunshine. I will WI tomorrow even though I started Monday as I like Friday’s for WI day.

And to have patience – I find this such good advice, as it took years to get to this weight therefore it won’t be lost in a short space of time. This I often forget.

Enjoy your day😊

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all, I’ve always found these threads super supportive and so today I’m looking for some help! I had some blood tests done and got the results yesterday, they’re all good except cholesterol. I was vegetarian (with periods of being vegan) for 12 years and only started eating meat again last summer. I’ve never really worries about cholesterol and this is the first time I’ve had it tested. I have searched the forums for cholesterol and have read a lot of posts.

From reflecting on my own diet, I think I had completely missed the point about good v bad fat. I’ve been eating a lot of meat (making up for lost time!) and as long as I’ve been on target with calories and carbs, and eating lots of veggies, I haven’t given anything else much thought.

What I think has been the problem is that I’m eating the fat on meat, and probably too much processed meat (sausages and bacon). I also need to start exercising whichbwas recommended to me with my results.

I’m basically just looking for some clarification that I’m on the right track now. I have to say I feel pretty foolish for getting the whole ‘fat’ thing so wrong 🙁

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Mylastrolo – Sister – it’s out of the fridge and looking fabulous! – my advice would be to try and not have anything naughty in the fridge if poss. I have always been a great hooverer so training myself to throw away is difficult but did it last night and really tested the will power. Have made the tuna,butter bean salad for lunch then realised that the cal measurement was per portion ! so have divided it into 3 portions it was really tasty so I would recommend it. Because it is so warm (I’ m not complaining!) it is easier to drink the water so keep it flowing ladies and thank you to all you ‘Old timers’ – for your wisdom xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

You are NOT foolish, Nicki! There is a profound learning curve to master with low carb, moderate protein and a healthy
    fat diet. My husband and I had very high chloesterol readings when we embarked on this WOE, and we were able to
    reverse that and reach optimal levels within 6 months. Wild fish, free range chicken breast for our proteins, as well as
    the elimination of all cheese (ouch!) seemed to be the changes that were the most beneficial for us. O/h has advanced
    coronary artery disease, so this fact was foremost in my mind when making changes. Research on eggs has reversed
    previous recommendations, and we continue to include them on most days. I’ve also seen research on the benefit of
    exercise. There is a lot of new thinking with respect to what actually causes elevated chloresterol, as well as the
    significance of HDL and LDL in the equation. We currently follow the advice of the cardiologist, who has told us “no
    processed meats”, so we are too afraid to experiment on this score. I’m sure that others will chime in with their
    advice, too. Good luck,

Allie

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi 4-weekers
    MtM – 1 inch loss is a great result. Our bodies do strange things sometimes, no idea why inches go but weight doesn’t but it does show this is working for you.
    Millie Moo – there are already lots of helpful posts on this thread and I can’t add to it. I hope you enjoy your weekend. I love the idea of a stone for a stone – I like your husband! Now… did he specify what kind of stone… 😉
    I tried to do something similar for myself – I like jewellery too so I bought myself a new charm bracelet and decided to add a new charm for every half stone I lost. I bought the bracelet and 5 charms. But sadly – my self sabotage got the better of me and I had to remove one of the charms – I’m looking forward to putting it back on – hopefully when I weigh-in next week. It acts as a visual reminder of what I’m doing every day as I wear it all the time. I felt rotten removing the charms so I’m glad I’m back on track.
    ClarinetCathy – thanks for sharing your story – it’s always good to hear from those who have been doing this a while. We all have our own journey but it is inspiring to hear how others have succeeded – those 4lbs will soon be gone. I’m a veggie too and a GP told me should give that up if I want to eat low carb – I’ve been vegetarian for 24 years – I don’t think I could eat meat/fish if I tried.
    Mylastrolo – sunshine in Scotland – good news. We all have days when we struggle – I’ve had 6 weeks of struggling! But back on track now – there really isn’t any value in feeling guilty. Sounds like you’re having a lovely day today – keep at it – you can do this 🙂

I have a weekend away to look forward to – I’m going to an 80s themed party. I can’t wait. The menu is full of carbs but I’m just going to do my best and dance away any extra calories I eat. I’m very excited about it and can’t wait – I was a teenager in the 80s, so it’s my era 🙂 big hair, shoulder pads – what’s not to like 🙂

Enjoy the rest of your day all
    XX

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Nicola12,
    I was reading about cholesterol this morning, on my fathers side of the family all the males in the last 3 generations died of heart attacks when they were in their late 50’s. Could you supply a little more information – the numbers for HDL and LDL levels?

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Hi All – thanks to JGwen for looking into the science and the research.
    Gatinna – have harped on about a Tanzanite for some time so hopefully that’s what could be coming my way. The bracelet and charms is a lovely idea because I think we need to reward ourselves as an incentive – it doesn’t have to be jewellery it could be anything. It would be nice to hear how others have treated themselves. Overall I don’t need to lose too much about a stone and a half and maybe fingers crossed the half might be gone this week, but it’s still a challange and impressed with all those ladies out there who have lost loads. Xx

• posted by Gattina
    on

NICE… Millie M …that’s all I’m saying… 🙂

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi!
    I started at the same time as Millie Moo and have also lost 6lbs.
    At the moment my life is up in the air with where I’m living and I can’t often get on the internet, so my posts may not be frequent but I’ll be sending ‘good luck vibes’ to you all!
    I probably need to lose 3 stone but would be happy with 2 stone. I joined SWorld recently and thought there was far too much food, more than I normally eat (i have insulin resistance and PCOS and have struggled with my weight all my life, could never eat the same as my friends without gaining weight rapidly) and sure enough I put on half to a pound of weight each week. Was advised to stick with it but after a month and gaining 5 lbs over that time, I dug out my old book about this diet. Started Sunday and am pleased I’ve lost the weight I put on at SW!
    I’d like to lose 10lbs over this month’s challenge to add to the 6 I’ve lost … good luck everyone, will check in here when I can! x

• posted by Verano
    on

JGwen apparently the ratio of the two numbers is most important. I have always had a cholesterol level of 5.2 but since following this WOE it dropped down to mid 4’s. My last test showed it had gone back up to 5.2 but apparently the ratio between HDL and LDL was only 2.1 and anything less than 3 is good. Sure somebody will correct me if my figures are out. Anyway, my diabetic nurse was ecstatic with my cholesterol so maybe it’s not quite so simple as we’ve been led to believe in the past.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Thank you Allie for your helpful response! I was worried you’d all thing I was a BSD idiot and banish me!!

JGwen – sorry should have included the numbers, though they don’t mean much to me!
    LDL 5.51 (should be 3 or under)
    Non HDL cholesterol 5.94 (should be 4 or under)
    Triglycerides 0.94 (normal)
    HDL 1.63 (normal)
    Cholesterol ratio 21.53% (normal)
    Cholesterol 7.57 (should be 5 or under)

• posted by Kirstily
    on

@milliemoo

Panic over! Day 5 and I weighed myself…magically lost 2 lbs overnight?! So odd!

Cathy – thanks for the sage words of wisdom re patience 🙏

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Does anyone use My Fitness Pal btw? Can we talk about how ANNOYING it is that it won’t let you enter under 1000 calories without a ridiculous warning message saying you’re eating a dangerously low amount? I bet there isn’t a warning message for eating what is actually a dangerously high amount….

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Post glitched and duplicated, admin please delete this 😅

• posted by Millie Moo
    on

Hi All
    Greeneyes – Hi wondered whether you would pick up this thread , welcome – good weight loss , congrats I had a headache yesterday and didn’t feel good was very hungry but stuck it out with some headache pills and feel ok this morning with another 1lb off can’t believe that’s 7lbs in 5 days obviously I know it won’t continue at this pace but it is such a booster to keep going . I too did a stint at SWorld but didn’t enjoy it , can’t understand why more people don’t look at this diet . I haven’t heard anyone talk about it and it should be more out there for people with diabetes to try before having to take medication. My father in law is type 2 and on tablets and although they told him to cut down on carbs they definitely didn’t suggest that he give this diet a go first.
    Alli – thanks for starting the May thread I think it’s great fun reading all the comments, they really make me smile !
    Have a fab day !

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kirstily,
    I use my fat secret. It doesn’t have the warning message about cals, and also it shows carbs the UK way taking fibre out of the figure.

• posted by Verano
    on

Gattina I love you idea of having a charm bracelet that you add a charm to for each 7lb loss. Brilliant! What I find even more inspiring is that you take a charm away if you gain. I’m sure we could all use that principal. It must really hit home if you have to remove one and as you say it’s a constant reminder to stay on track!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Well here in the UK on radio 2 on a Friday it’s serious jockin so we can be serious BSD ing 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉💃💃💃💃💃💃🎉🎉🎉💃🎉🎉🎉🎉

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Good Morning

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it really is appreciated. I WI this morning, Monday I was 15st, and today 14st 9.4. So in four days I have lost 4.6lbs! I have never lost this amount when I’ve been at WW or SW!

Milliemoo – I took your advice and cleared the rubbish out of my fridge – it was surprisingly easy, I put some in the bin and some into the kids fridge for DH (I have my own fridge/cupboards because I was recently diagnosed with coeliac disease) so clearing my cupboard was also easy and straight into the bin. I only buy crisps that I cannot eat without being ill, so really there’s nothing naughty for me now. Apart from a glass of wine I will have this evening 😜

Gattina – I also love the charm reward, although I will do it per stone since I have around five to lose. I really wouldn’t want to remove one, so hopefully this will be another incentive to stay on track. And have a fab time at the 80s party!

Have a nice day everyone

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Morning everyone. What a difference the sunshine makes! Feeling really positive as have stayed on track since I started out on Monday with no real wobbles. Politely turned down the offer of chocolate hobnobs at work, feeling virtuous lol.
    I am 2lb down already so really happy.
    My challenge has always been finding suitable lunch options, especially once it gets out of the soup time of year, as I am not a salad fan. So far I have found just putting a smaller portion of what I have had for dinner aside and taking it into work the next day has really worked well, not every day but enough so I dont stress about messing up on choices at work.
    My other challenge will now be avoiding the cupboards, as with a 3 year old in the house there will always be a few naughty snacks lurking (my daughter is only working through her easter eggs a few nibbles at a time, so I have hope she has her fathers mentality towards treats rather than mine 🙂
    Hope everyone has a happy and positive day

• posted by wendyq
    on

This is the first 4 week challenge I have been in the right mindset for.We were away for 3 days at the beginning of the week but I was determined.While my hubby ate a nice filled roll and a cream cake in the car I munched on a bag of spinach and had some nuts.I took food with me so that I always had something suitable to eat.I had a big salad when we went out and sneaked a tub of cottage cheese onto the plate .So far this year I’ve lost 19 pounds,a very small amount when compared to many people.I lost a bit ,put a bit on,you know how it goes but recently things have changed.I have been going down and down,albeit very slowly but it’s progress.This morning I weighed a tin and it came to just under a pound and put 19 of them in a bag.What a weight!I’m going to keep my bag of tins and add to it so I have something visual to remind myself of how much I’ve lost.
    Hope we can all stick to our plans over the weekend as I know what the weekends can be like.I’m going to a friend’s birthday party on Sunday ,there’s always something going on .I’ll ask for a glass of water and will politely decline the cake but will enjoy being with all my friends.

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi all!
    Nothing lost today, but I’m still 6lbs lighter than I was on Sunday. Drinking lots of water and last night I read The Book (BSD!) from cover to cover.
    Got a bit organised too and poached some salmon fillets to have both last night and today. I also got a microwave last week (behind the times, I know!) and used it this morning to poach an egg – really quick and a lovely breakfast with a little salt and pepper!

• posted by pkd2004
    on

I’m joining in too please. I’ve joined the four week thread too, but reading through this have found it additionally motivational so want to do this as well! I am 6 lbs lighter than on Monday (started Sunday but forgot to weigh that morning and if I go by a previous worst weight I’d have lost 10lbs to date) I have approximately another 1st 9lbs to go. I had a bad sleep last night and I think I hadn’t drunk enough during the day. I’m trying to improve on that today. Good luck all

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, WELCOME, pkd! I’m delighted that you’re finding this a positive thread 🙂 There is something very
    motivational about these 4 week challenges, and the positive energy here! We chat about everything under
    the sun, and have an excellent time doing so! Really happy that you will be with us, and I’m looking forward
    to getting to know you!
    Very best of luck. You’re off to a great start! Let us know how you do over your first weekend 🙂

Allie

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi alliecat and JGwen thanks for advice…I am now joining this forum for the 4 week challenge will be great to get the support from the ‘oldies’ and ‘newbies’ to the BSD😃
    Mandy

• posted by alliecat
    on

Great to have you with us, Mandy 🙂 I wish I could answer your questions about BSLs that are bouncing about,
    but I was surprising not pre diabetic or diabetic. My dubious (embarrassing 🙂 ) claim to fame is that I think I’m
    the “Biggest Loser” actively participating on the forums at the moment! I off loaded 140lbs in 10 months doing
    the Fast800. Lost another 8 lbs in maintenance, which I’ve maintained for a year. Trust that someone will be
    along on the thread very soon to share their T2D story with you. You are in very good hands with all of
    us. We’ve got you covered 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Wow Allie that is amazing. I started dieting in December the traditional way low cal low fat lots of carbs…following instructions from diabetic nurse. Yes I have lost weight but at about 1lb per week and was to say the least soul destroying loads of effort with little reward and no change to T2D my GP and diabetic nurse basically said I would eventually need insulin. I came across MM book by chance read it and it seems so obvious that it will work that I cannot believe that clinics don’t use it for all diabetics!!I currently weigh 201lbs and am aiming for 126 and am inspired that so many of you have and are doing it so well😃😃
    Mandy

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi All,
    I would like to join this challenge, and hopefully it will be more productive for me in terms of weight loss than the last one. I will be trying a 5:2 approach on this one so that I can keep pushing my iron levels higher on the non-fast days. I’m feeling much better after 6 weeks of supplements, so I’m ready to get back on plan in a more dedicated way. I had my first fast day yesterday for ages and I lost 1.2kg! I’m sure that was mostly water weight and that I won’t continue losing at that rate, but at least it is progress. Despite my higher carb intake these days, I wasn’t hungry at all, so that was an unexpected bonus. My aim is to maintain on non-fast days so that I don’t sabotage the weight loss I’m getting on fast days. I hope to get back down below 80kg on this challenge. I am attending a conference at the end of May and it would be nice to fit into some of my nice smaller size summer clothes that I bought when I was smaller 6 years ago. They are nicely cut and timeless in style, so I don’t need to worry about them looking out of date, and they are in much better condition than my larger size clothes that have seen much more wear in recent years.
    Good luck everyone! I’ll try to keep up with all the posts, but it looks like quite a busy thread already!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Articfox, I do remember your username from several months ago. I’ve never done the 5:2 for maintenance, so
    I’m curious as to what you do in terms of counting carbs during maintenance days? Are you doing the 5:2 strictly
    for maintenance, or do you expect to lose weight in the process? Thanks!

Always curious, Allie 🙂

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Just wanted to check in today to say I’ve weighed in and have officially lost 20lbs in 2 months (with around 2 weeks lost to going off plan and struggling to get back on it again!) I have never ever lost this much in one go, so for anyone struggling in the early days, know that it works! Two thirds of the way to my target weight 🙌🏻

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, Nicki! What a great way to start the weekend 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi All I checked my weight this morning and have lost 6lbs in 3 days!!! I’m thinking it probably mostly water but on my GP recommended diet this took me 6 weeks!!!
    Mandy

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Congrats Nicki and Mandy! These success stories are giving me a lil bit of hope as I’ve only lost 2lbs in the first 6 days!

Almost fell of the wagon yesterday but I just had a handful of cashew nuts instead, I figure it’s about damage limitation 🙏

This weekend is going to be tough as it’s my brothers birthday so I’m going over to see my family! Hopefully I stay strong.

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi Kirstily I think most of mine is water stay strong any loss is great 👍 I found
    myself really hungry this morning and had a hard boiled egg with spinach and the hunger disappeared!!!
    Mandy

• posted by alliecat
    on

He Kirstily, and welcome to “the family”! There can be a wide discrepancy in the carb and calories of different
    nuts. I’m including a chart from dietdoctor for you (if it works!)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Best of luck,

Allie

• posted by Greeneyes
    on

Hi again
    Checking in to say I’ve been going for 7 days and have lost 8lbs. I’ve been quite hungry today I have to admit, but it’s worth it to see the scales going down – as I’ve said before, on previous diets my weight loss has been slow, non-existent or I’ve actually gained weight, so I’m pleased. My face is looking thinner and my bra isn’t quite so like a cheese-wire as it was last week!
    Arcticfox, I’m interested in what you said about the 5:2 for maintenance – I was wondering about that! Or even doing a 4:3?
    Anyway, I needn’t think about maintenance yet, that will be a lovely ‘problem’ once I shift another 2 stone!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Allie and Greeneyes,
    I think I may have caused some confusion with the way I stated things. I’ve been maintaining over the last 6 weeks or so, but I’m still only 1/2 way to my target weight. I had to stop the calorie restriction for a time so that I could get my iron and b12 levels back up as I was struggling with a severe deficiency. The b12 is likely better now as I’ve been able to supplement at a high level and my main symptom of pins and needles in my hands and feet has gone away, but I still have a ways to go with my iron. I have a target level of iron from food that I’m supposed to meet every day so that I get into the habit of choosing high iron foods regularly so my levels don’t fall again when I come off the supplements. As a vegetarian, I have had to increase my calorie and carb intake significantly to meet this target. I’m still not at a place where I can calorie restrict every day, so I’ve decided to experiment with the 5:2 to see if I can start shifting a little bit of weight again. When I said maintaining, I meant that I want to eat to maintenance on non-fast days, i.e. I don’t want to overeat so that I can continue to lose on fast days. I’m giving myself the 4 weeks on this challenge to see if this works, if not, I’ll have to re-evaluate. I’m not counting carbs at the moment as it would be far too frustrating. I am keeping very close tabs on my calories, iron, calcium and vitamin C though.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you Articfox, for clarifying. I see that you have a lot of variables to take into consideration, and I hope your
    new strategy helps. I can very much relate to what you’re saying, because my husband’s advanced coronary artery
    disease and 2 previous heart attacks make it very important that he not only maintain his weight loss, but also get
    the correct balance of calcium, potassium and magnesium each day. Some days it feels like a high wire act, and I
    serve him some very unorthodox looking meals in the process! I hope you start to feel better very soon 🙂

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.