"SWING INTO MAY, THE LOW CARB WAY" 4 WEEK CHALLENGE ENDING MAY 15th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Skinny-to-be
    on

Good afternoon all,
    Although I haven’t posted anything since last week I have been ‘reading’ you all.
    I wanted so badly to lose some weight but it appears, according to my new scales (exactly as treelady), I have rather put on about 1/2 lb. It being two things: a) the new scales being the new scales and they just don’t know me yet so wanted to give me the shock of my life and b) it being the new and more precise scales hence the number shown.
    There is also another thing creeping in my mind and it being that before I returned to BSD I was doing a nutritarian diet and have switched to BSD because I plateaued (and missed meat and oils, terribly) and the body is still in a sort of plateau state and would need to revisit whatever I’ve been eating over the past week. Also, this was the time of the months when usually every weighing in is coming higher than any other weeks as for any lady.
    Will try to be more watchful of what I eat this week and hopefully next week Tuesday I can report of some number with the minus in front of it.

I have loved every single posts from you over the past few days and find them very inspirational.
    Congratulations to all ‘losers’ as I envy you from the distance and clap and cheer you on.
    All the best you all,
    S.

• posted by Verano
    on

Some of these losses are really great . 5.4lb Mylastrolo you must be feeling really good. Keep on keeping on …….

• posted by alliecat
    on

Drum roll…………..and here comes Mylastrolo! Over 5 lbs..? Look at you go πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Fantastic losses for your first
    2 weeks! I think this way of eating really likes you. Hope that you’re enjoying it too!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Treelady,
    I find my scales change their reading depending on the weather, if its raining I weigh more than if its nice dry day. (Typical welsh farm house, not draft proof). Also they change if there is a coin on the floor near them. Obviously battery powered scales, are slightly delicate on accuracy. – Lets think positive, if the changes in weight are a percentage, as we get the weight down, the variation will change.

• posted by Mylastrolo
    on

Thanks Verano and Allie ☺️ Have to say that I am surprised how well this works – I’ve been a half-hearted serial dieter for erm 18yrs or so. I feel that I have actually found a way of eating that suits my body, and I am enjoying it also – I already feel brighter if that makes sense? Really like this way of eating, and feel positive that I’m not going to give up like I usually do 😬

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Mylastrolo, what an inspiring result. Really well done πŸ™‚

• posted by caronl
    on

Congratulations all losers, particularly Mylastrolo. I have been a bit quiet on this forum, but will report in with a loss of 1.2 kilos over the first two weeks. Since I am not sure whether I am trying to stabilise or lose (!), I am quite pleased! Wishing you all success for the coming week.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Posting just before bed, have had a lovely evening out with OH and #1 son in a newish riverside venue which would be a wonderful daytime spot if only the food lived up to the promise of the locationπŸ˜•. Feeling bloated but I think that’s the lentils not the quantity.

No loss for me this week, 300g up this morning. I’ve had an emotional few days and given that I’ve been a lifetime emotional eater maybe there’s a ray of hope that, as it was only .3kg, my excess eating is now way less than in the past. I’ll live with that.

Good luck, or better yet, good management everyone, for our next two weeks.
    MFODAAT

• posted by alliecat
    on

Wonderful to hear from you caronl! I kept losing, as you are, when I started maintenance, too πŸ™‚ Have you started doing
    the reverse diet, or just continuing with the BSD? I know that this is a crazily busy thread, but we’d still like to hear from
    you! Congrats,

Allie

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi ladies
    It’s a gain for me too! It’s 0.25 lbs so not bad considering a fraught week. Other issue is not drinking enough water but like JGwen I feel a whose coming on.
    Better day today had to take my little dog in for surgery yesterday after emergency dash to vet on Saturday discovered she had a large polyp that has been removed.
    Just going to collect her now
    Well done everyone some really inspiring news from you all
    MM

• posted by alliecat
    on

There you are, Madmare! (I confess that I always keep an eye out for you πŸ™‚ ) What’s most important is that you’re
    still here with us. The whoosh will come, don’t worry! Any downward movement on the scale matters… I
    introduced a new term on another thread, “wine creep”. I’ve been a bit too generous with the libations of late,
    so I need to reign that in this coming week! How are you doing?

Allie

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi All
    Bit delayed in posting today due to really early start at work….weigh in this morning was 10.5lbs loss in 2 weeks I can hardly believe it on previous diets it would have been more like 2lbs. I’m expecting less over next week as it’s my birthday tomorrow and am going out with friends and family for a meal and couple of drinks but will get back on it in earnest on Thursday!!!
    Well done to all those who also lost this week πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    Mandy

• posted by alliecat
    on

Mandy, you are another star in our firmament! So very well done πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Enjoy your birthday (within reason, of
    course!) Many happy returns of the day! Look what you’ve accomplished in just 2 weeks…Splendid!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie Thanks for replying. How do you find the time??! You asked how I am starting maintenance. I would like to sound really organised about this, but the change has been creeping up on me! I am just relaxing the calories to around 1000-1200, and being less strict on carbs to allow eg oranges, tomatoes and some root veg and pulses and will see how my weight responds. I think it will be trial and error. I wouldn’t mind losing a few more kilos if it happens, but I am starting to look a bit scrawny in places. I have reached my goal of a healthy BMI and wriggle room (of 7 kilos!!!!!). My aim now is simply to look as good as possible in size 14 jeans.

I think I shall move over to the maintainers thread soon – but it feels as if I should do so in disguise! It is taking me time to embrace the difference of nearly 3 stone loss – and, even more, of being thinner and lighter than I have been in 35 years. This diet truly is a life-changer.

• posted by caronl
    on

Mandy Many congratulations on your loss – 10.5lbs in two weeks is a great start. Will you be changing your name to happyteacher soon?

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi caronl
    Maybe when I lose another 60lbs!!! Then I will be veryhappyteacher πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ….long way to go yet!!!!
    Mandy

• posted by alliecat
    on

Beautifully said, Caron. This WOL is truly a life changer! I completely agree that maintenance is basically trial and
    error for all of us πŸ™‚ Weight loss is relatively straight forward, compared to this stage. The “scrawny” comments
    do come, don’t they?? Being about 15 lbs inside a healthy BMI is a great place to be! I sit at about 21.5 lbs inside
    of mine, but my Dr. says “no more weight loss”. Who ever thought that we’d reach the point where we weigh ourselves to be
    certain that we haven’t lost any more weight??? I haven’t had time to get over to the maintainer’s thread in the past
    several weeks, so it will be wonderful to see you refreshing it! I’ve been planning on an update now that I have a
    year in maintenance to share. Truthfully, I don’t know HOW I keep up πŸ™‚ I think one answer is that I never sleep
    more than 4 hrs a night, so I can be found out and about after 3:30am most mornings. This is when I can be chatting with
    early morning posters in the UK! Mostly though, I’m just very committed to this way WOE and want to share it with
    others, and make a contribution in my own small way. You must be having the same reaction to seeing yourself
    in a full length mirror. It’s been a year, but I still ask “Who are you, woman?” Haha

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie You make a huge contribution to this website and I am so grateful to you and others who have shared their experience, success, and ups and downs along the way. Though I wish you were able to get more sleep at night! Yes I do do a double take in the mirror – and on photos. I don’t recognise myself yet! Looking forward to sorting and renewing my summer wardrobe soon!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done everyone some great results here this week.
    I can report a 700g loss, I’m happy with that, just need to keep going.
    i read all of the posts this morning and there was a question about recipe books.
    I love the BSD recipe book, my copy is very well thumbed! I haven’t had a bad recipe yet, although still have to try loads more as I tend to make my favourites over and over again.
    Another book I can recommend is one called β€œSlimspirational Grub”, it’s availabe on Amazon in Kindle and book form. It’s written by a lovely lady called Lynette Anderson. Lynette is a busy mum, so the book is full of family-friendly BSD recipes.
    I haven’t seen Dr Moseley’s new book yet, although I will probably buy that too! I’ve got the Clever Guts book, also some of the β€˜I Quit Sugar’ book range. The thing I need the most is time to cook and try all of these lovely meals πŸ™‚

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Great losses everyone! Apologies I’m a little bit late to the party but I weighed myself yesterday morning and I’ve lost 3.4lbs this week, making a total of 7lbs in 2 weeks 😊 Very motivated to keep going!

I did want to ask (another!) question… Does anyone struggle with not feeling at all hungry or going off their food on VLCD diets? I really struggle with this and often don’t eat until I absolutely have to because I’m feeling lightheaded because the thought of food just doesn’t appeal? Yet if I eat normal calories I’m hungry all the time and want to eat all the food!? Whhyyy? It’s like I’m all or nothing??

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello Kirstily I am having the opposite problem! I struggle so much with the restricted calories – whhyyy do i feel hungry all the time! If I eat more calories it does stave the hunger so its not as though I’m craving carbs but then the weight loss is much slower and less motivating.
    Must be quite nice to not feel so hungry, lol

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kirstily,
    It took me 12 weeks to reach that point, of simply not fancying eating for eating sake. From what I have read I think its because you have your insulin levels under control. If your insulin levels are high then your body cant burn fat for fuel so its needs you to eat to provide fuel. Your body has plenty of fuel available in your fat and low insulin levels means it can access it so you don’t need to eat to provide fuel.
    I had a lot of weight to loose and I worried about loose skin. research suggests that if you have a 16 hour plus gap between meals loose skin isnt such a problem. Occasionally if I have had a very energetic day I get hungry by mid afternoon but normally I eat in a 4 hour window late afternoon/early evening each day. That also means I have the cals in hand to have quite a tasty meal. So far 78 lbs down and no unsightly folds of skin other than my stubborn spare tyre so it seems to be working.

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

That’s great news about loose skin JGwen as this is something I worried about I hope I have the same luck! I too am having a 16:8 hours fast between 2 meals as I struggle with eating breakfast early so I tend to now have brunch at about 1130-12 then evening meal around 630. This seems to work for me but I am often not hungry at 630 so have to β€œforce” myself to eat something even if it is just berries and yoghurt…..I think this could be due to all the extra fluid I’m drinking?
    Mandy

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi maidtomeasure. It took me a number of weeks to adapt eating low carb. Because of reading about the successes on this forum I decided to follow the lead of others and aim for 20g of carbs. I tended to do a batch of chores then have breakfast and because of going for the 20g target, I had a couple of scrambled eggs with some cream cheese or pepper or spices most days. Gradually my break for breakfast moved back later each day until it was mid afternoon before I ate anything. Thats when I realised that what I had thought of hunger was actually carb cravings.

• posted by wendyq
    on

Gradually I’ve started eating later in the day,now it’s between 11:30-12:30 I have my first meal and then something around 4-5.It’s amazing that I don’t feel hungry on so few calories and not having eaten since about 5 the day before.This has just come naturally as before that I was having 3 small meals a day.3 litres is some volume of fluid to consume every day ,so far I’m managing but have to be really on the ball.
    Alliecat,imagine being told you can’t lose any more weight,that’s incredible.I’ll be so chuffed to reach a healthy BMI,it seems so far away but I keep telling myself that if other people have done it then I can do it as well.
    Hope we can all have a great day and stay on track.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Thanks JGwen, it’s useful to know that it probably is a carb craving after all. The trouble is, I have quite a demanding job and leave early – I do enjoy my job – and I used to try leaving breakfast or just having a coffee. It never worked either way, by 9am I am too hungry and brain-fogged so I would then have to break my fast. It works a bit better on non-work days.

Calling Gattina? Missing your interesting posts, hope you are doing well πŸ™‚ xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, everyone! The concern over loose skin is something we all consider I think, and I’m no exception.
    I have read that IF can help to minimize it, and autophagy achieved through extended fasts once a month seems
    promising, too. However, I think that the main factors really are 1) age. We lose our ability to produce collagen
    with each successive decade, so youth is always on your side. 2) % of body weight lost. Someone who has 3
    stone to lose will of course have tighter skin than when the total is 10 stone. I’m in the latter category, and
    skin can only contract so much! I’ve lost 21″ off of my waist, for example, and I do have some loose skin πŸ™‚
    It does completely flatten out under clothing because there is absolutely no fat beneath it, and I consider it
    a small price to pay for losing just over 50% of my body weight (148lbs) and restoring my health. I don’t
    remember giving it much thought until I was at least 100lbs down, though. 3) genetics have to be considered
    too, and the type of skin we have, i.e., fair and fine grained, etc. Strangely enough, my face seems to have
    mostly escaped this fate, with the exception of a bit of a “turkey neck”, only noticeable in profile πŸ™‚ Previous
    to the BSD, I lost 60 lbs at the age of 50, and no loose skin appeared. It’s an interesting subject, and I look
    forward to other opinions. Oh, in the interest of full disclosure, I began the BSD at the age of 67!

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.some of you are posting some really positive results.well done.I’m happy to be 82.7kg today after a mixed week.I had transit issues .not drinking enough and some stress at work so a couple of unplanned meals but over all I’m slightly down.the good thing is Ive gone back to checking my bgl daily and whenever I think I’m hungry .. measuring all my food .I really feel like Ive got my mojo back.Those of you struggling don’t give up A few weeks ago I thought I would never regain control but I have .most of the cravings are gone and Im really motivated.Hopeful to be down 1kg this week. Koko

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Maidtomeasure,
    I am sorry if this comes across as trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but I am aware that there will be newcomers reading this exchange and lurkers thinking about starting this diet who will be reading our discussion so I wanted to reply in a way that helps them.
    From the research I have read and my own experience the brain fog is a result of high insulin levels. Once you get your insulin levels down so you are in a state of ketosis you not only don’t suffer from the brain fog but have more energy and feel more alert.
    I understand that it can be difficult juggling work demands with times for eating, and hopefully someone with experience of this will jump in, but I would suggest its worth trying to tweak your carb level down a little more even if you stay with three meals so you get beyond the carb cravings.

I watched an interesting illustration of the importance of getting into the keto state by Jason Fung that I would like to share with you.
    Picture your body as a coal power station, each day more coal is delivered than is needed to generate the amount of power needed for that day so the excess is put into the stores. But there is a special lock on the door out of the coal stores. So if the amount of coal delivered isn’t enough for the power demand for that day, but the lock on the coal stores isn’t opened, then power station can’t generate the power needed. It doesn’t take long before the management of the power station start to design efficiency savings so that the power station can generate the power needed with less supplies. But when the coal supplies increase again, they don’t remove these efficiency savings so the coal supplies grow. – If however the key is found to the coal stores, before the efficiency savings are made, then they will never be made, and the coal stores will gradually be emptied until the fuel supplies are increased again. –

In our bodies low insulin levels are the key to the stored fuel. If you stick on the BSD for just 8 weeks, then probably the body will not make efficiency savings, but, if you have more weight to loose and don’t want to end up on reduced calories once you have lost the weight then in my opinion, getting carbs low enough to get into a keto state is important. What that level of carbs is will be different for each person. But the food/carb craving is a clear sign that you are not there.

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Hello JGwen
    Thank you for your informative post. I keep my carbs between 20 – 30g a day but I guess I can try and reduce this further if I want to be less hungry. Apparently I am in ketosis – but maybe there is higher levels of ketosis?
    I haven’t had a problem with insulin levels but because I have/am addicted to carbs it may be key. More to the point I have had a lot of digestive issues in the past and still battle them so maybe my hunger feelings may also relate to this. One GP told me once to eat little and often to combat the problems I was experiencing. He asked me an interesting question. He said – who invented 3 meals a day anyway? Why not just do what suits your body?
    So why not have 2 meals. Or two larger meals? I realise “little and often” isn’t necessarily very good advice for those trying to reverse diabetes. My point is though, why eat when your told or because it’s the right time, rather than when you’re hungry? It does seem a little ludicrous doesn’t it πŸ˜‰

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Maidtomeasure,
    Hopefully there will be someone else along soon who knows more about ketosis than I do and can help answer your question about the benefits of different levels of ketosis and carb cravings. What I have read is that Insulin and ketones are mutually exclusive, the presence of high levels of insulin blocks the production of ketones. – As to the fine details of levels of ketones and carb cravings, that’s what I am trying to work out myself in preparation for the day when I get to maintenance.

I have been wondering about buying something to be able to measure level of ketones, but I am coming round to the idea that I could simply use the difference between carb craving and hunger combined with my determination to not put the weight back on to keep me on the straight and narrow. – Last week I had a larger than usual pack of frozen cherries in the fridge, (supermarket didn’t have the usual size, it hadn’t occurred to me to put them in the freezer and remember to take out a portion in a morning so they are defrosted ready for the evening. ) One evening it was late, I was hungry but didn’t feel like cooking anything so I grabbed the remains of the pack of cherries and remains of a carton of double cream for my meal. – I noticed I fancied eating more the following day than I normally do, not craving carbs, but wanting to snack throughout the day even though I wasn’t hungry and it faded after a day. – So I think for me that I can use the difference between these feelings to help guide me on what level of carbs I can cope with long term and just a small difference in carb levels can make a change in how I feel.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi, I’m right at the point in the Taubes book where he writes… “Even before we begin eating, insulin works to increase our feeling of hunger. Remember, we begin secreting insulin just by thinking about eating (and particularly eating carbohydrate-rich foods and sweets), and this insulin secretion then increases within seconds of taking our first bite. It happens even before we begin to digest the meal, and before any glucose appears in the bloodstream. This insulin serves to prepare our bodies for the upcoming flood of glucose by storing away other nutrients in the circulation – particularly fatty acids. So our experience of hunger actually increases just by thinking about eating, and then it increases further with the first few bites we take.”
    Just thought I’d post that para as I read it only this morning and I thought it may help explain the hunger thing or not feeling hunger…
    Kazzeex

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

JGwen I just started using keto sticks to check for ketones. I get them free through my insurance. Like some of you I just bought the Taubes book.

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

So I am determined so see the scales go down this week and today I have made a conscious effort to up my water intake. I now feel like I am using the loo every 30 minutes! it seems excessive vs the fluid intake, is that normal?
    Things have also “moved” on another front if you get my drift without going into graphic detail!
    My food/carb intake is on track as it has been for the past 1 1/2 weeks so don’t think I can do anything further, am I missing something?
    It’s interesting reading peoples notes about hunger. The weather is cold and wet today and I definitely feel more hungry, is this the bodies natural response to cold, wanting to re-fuel or is it all in my head?!! I am not craving carbs, rather anything to relieve the pangs. I cant go off plan anyway as unless I leave the office in the car, I can only eat or drink what I have here which is exactly one small piece of cheese and a fruit tea!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi KazzUK,
    That point is very well worth repeating on the forum. It set me off pondering a couple of issues which I guess you could only answer with research if there was a way of constantly measuring insulin levels. – So carb craving becomes a vicious cycle, where because you fancy eating something your insulin raises. – but by how much? Is it significant enough that it means that taking up a craft that you focus on rather than sitting there in an evening thinking about going to get something to nibble on is an important technique for weight loss.

What does it mean for weight loss in terms of how many carbs you can have. – Is this why some of us need to get below 20g of carbs to loose weight, because we are thinking about food during the day?

Does it mean its harder for people with families where they are preparing food for the children at separate times, or different dishes to loose weight.

I was off down so many rabbit holes with this snippet of information.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Very interesting discussion on the keto state. Have kept to 20g carbs since 3rd September because my blood sugars were rising with a bit higher carb intake – so assume I am now in keto and am really surprised at my energy levels. It feels like I am jet propelled with a brain working 100% – so basically everything firing on all cylinders. No hunger whatsoever.

Allie – I can’t believe it has been two years either – the time has just flown by. I often forget that I started this because health issues and not because I enjoy swanning around in my size 8s and 10s. I was looking through my notes from pre-BSD and saw that my right foot was at moderate risk. I was too scared to ask what was my foot at moderate risk of? It was already numb – I didn’t want to hear that it was at risk of amputation – it was too frightening.

Foot has no numbness now and blood sugars are brilliant on 20g carbs.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Fantastic post, Krysia! (or as my British friends would probably say, “brilliant” πŸ™‚ ). One of the things that I find
    hardest to communicate is how being in ketosis provides us with limitless energy and a highly functioning
    brain. “Jet propelled” it IS, then! We do retrain ourselves to listen to our bodies, and at this stage, ketostix are
    not necessary. If they provide additional confidence though, by all means, use them πŸ™‚
    I have a learned appreciation for what hazards await with T2D, so for all of you who have reversed it, much, much
    respect! I can certainly understand the fear that resides within at having a numb foot, and not wanting to
    know exactly what that means. When I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart), I wasn’t too
    receptive to reading much about congestive heart failure, particularly the fact that I may not survive emergency
    surgery. These days are well and truly behind us, but I never want to forget where we have come from either.
    Watching newcomers gaining the confidence to completely alter the course of their lives is akin to seeing
    a rainbow open up in the sky everyday, and I never tire of the experience!

For all of you who are 2 weeks in, you’ve made it past the hardest part! This WOL can take you anywhere
    you can imagine, so enjoy the journey. It’s profoundly worth it πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Great day, everyone!

Allie

• posted by Kirstily
    on

Thanks for your responses on my hunger question M2M and JGwen.

M2M – I guess that just goes to show diets really aren’t one size fits all, we all respond in different ways! I’m sure as you acclimatise it will get more bearable ❀️

JGwen – Thank you, that is super helpful and definitely makes sense for me as I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic so it would make sense that my insulin levels are low, hence my not feeling hungry.

Really interesting discussion on ketosis, hunger and energy levels. I have definitely noticed a huge increase in my energy levels. I was really worried that the diet would affect my performance at work but it’s actually been the opposite!

Finally – Allie, I went ahead and calculated our total loss for week 2 and (for those that reported their week 2 loss) we have lost 3st 1.9lbs between us!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Kirstily! I think “I love you” πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ About 44 lbs. for the group is fantastic!!! If you can picture that in
    terms of 44 lbs. of suet leaving the clubhouse, it is an accomplishment of mega proportions! We are unstoppable!
    This is the all-star team πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by Verano
    on

I have reported the post above

• posted by alliecat
    on

thanks, V. we need to kick these opportunists to the curb πŸ™‚

• posted by Verano
    on

Looks like it’s already been debunked Allie!

• posted by Kirstily
    on

No problem Allie, it was just too tempting to know that stat…So motivating too!

I genuinely feel like I’ve been told some huge secret with this diet, I’ve never found something so easy to stick to and so effective, it’s literally changed my life. I am getting married in July. It’s very short notice because my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer and everyone was telling me ‘don’t bother trying to lose weight by then you won’t be able to do much at this point’. How wrong they were. I’m going dress shopping at the end of May and expect to be at least a stone lighter than when I started!

In other news, weather is turning in the UK, we’re actually going to have a nice bank holiday, so my aim is to drink tonnes of water over the next few days and get out and about in the sunshine!

• posted by Maid2Measure
    on

Kirstily, sorry to hear about your mums diagnosis.
    No wonder you are super pleased to be finding something that works πŸ™‚
    xx

• posted by Marsie
    on

Loving thoughts with you and your mum, Kirstily. With this WOE you’ll slay ’em in the aisles πŸ™‚ xx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Kirstily – so sorry to read that your Mum is so ill.
    You have done so well – I am sure you will look stunning on your Wedding Day.

I have copied my post from Verano’s thread because I am so happy with my visit to the Diabetes Nurse today. So please ignore it if you are on Verano’s thread. It is a bit long.

Am so happy – have just got back from my Diabetes Nurse appointment at my GPs Surgery and have got my HBa1c results.
    In October it had gone up to 42 – which just took me into the pre-diabetes range. Today it is 41 – so I am back in the non-diabetes range.
    Talked over what I had been doing with the super nurse who absolutely supports me in this way of eating. She wasn’t even fazed by my 20g carbs a day. We went over my meal plans and she approved of my food choices. It was such a good appointment.
    What is really good news is that – if my next HBa1c is as good in 3 months time – she will take over my care from the Diabetes Clinic at our Regional Hospital. This is such good news as she is a superb Diabetes Nurse and so knowledgeable.
    She went back over my records and said that my HBa1c was 125 when I was diagnosed in 2012 – which more than likely means that I had undiagnosed diabetes for years and years before that.

It now makes perfect sense that I have to drop to 20g carbs to get good blood sugar readings and stay off insulin. Prof. Taylor’s research showed that people who had diabetes for years were not as successful at getting of the meds and insulin. As well as having all the issues with carbs that are explained by the Taubes book – I have also damaged my pancreas from years of having out of control blood sugars. So it is not surprising that I have to keep even the good carbs low.
    My HBa1c would not have been good today if I hadn’t dropped carbs to 20g at the beginning of April and then joined Verano’s one week challenges and Allie’s four week challenge. My goal now is to have an HB1aC of 39 in 3 months time. I feel it is absolutely do-able.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Krysia! I’m “walking on sunshine” for you today!!!! Fantastic news, and thank you for posting it here, too πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    This is truly an inspiring day for everyone who has had diabetes hanging over their head for some time. I’m sure
    that you feel blessed to have such a great nurse who didn’t bat an eye with your eating plan, and has supported
    you along the way. Congratulations, dear “Taubes Woman”! There are more and more of us each day πŸ™‚
    Salvation! Miracles DO come true, don’t they? I couldn’t be happier for you!

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Kirstily, I am sorry to hear about your mum, but glad to hear that she will be with you as you go through the excitement of preparing for your special day.

Well done KrysiaD, you should be so proud of yourself and your achievement. Its not only your own health that you have improved, but also think of the legions of other people your nurse will be advising in the future. She will undoubtedly be considering your example when she advises other patients about what is possible.

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

I am sorry to hear about your mum too Kirstily but exciting plans together for the wedding. Well it was my birthday yesterday and went out for meal with family and friends I must confess that along with my steak and salad I did have some chips and a couple of glasses of wine….resisted temptation for garlic bread ….my guilty pleasure ..had terrible nights sleep as a result….bad indigestion and headache….so no more of that 😬😬 back on it today and it’s fantastic news about weight loss totals for the group. It’s clear that this woe really works and I’m more determined than ever to lose my next 60lbs…..half way through the 4 week challenge (I started on the Thursday) and 12lbs down…….keep up the good work everyone πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    Mandy

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello everyone! Trying to keep up here and some fantastic achievements πŸ™‚ Very busy so not able to post much but am reading as many posts as I can and cheering everyone on. I’m determined this next few weeks to crack on and get to my original goal and beyond, so will check in here as and when I can. So keep on keeping on and it’s lovely to hear how well you are all doing X

Please log in or register to post a reply.