Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Thanks for checking on me Snoop!

I’m struggling. Actually not fighting as hard as I should. Wobbly on the plan this week. Up a pound.

I can think of lots of reasons why this is just too hard, but am trying to stay positive and truly adjust myself. I haven’t exercised in the past 2 weeks except for yesterday. I think my new solution is to work on training my kids to run and doing workouts all together. It sounds like a simple fix, but it’s actually hard to find the time and wait on everyone to be ready.

I am just crazy busy with teaching the girls. Have 2 first graders, a fourth and sixth grader all day, plus housekeeping and cooking, and, not that I am complaining, but it is tough to stay ahead enough to stay on top of food and exercise perfectly, and a little lapse means no progress. But! I know I can do it! Not giving up!

I wish I were in the place of just needing to implement new information, but I’m fighting habits!

Will log and post. Goodness, that seems to be the only thing that keeps me on track.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’ve not been doing too well these last few days. Up 0.5 kg. Have been too busy to plan food and have been nibbling too much. Usually healthy things but not in healthy quantities. Good to see other people posting. I was starting to feel a bit like I was hogging the thread and getting a bit lonely!

• posted by bloke41
    on

Hi all, just been catching up on posts. Had to fly down to melbourne 2 weeks ago to spend time with grand dad in pallative care. Rip deda will miss you always. Been a very tough time overall, not very many carb free meals in hospital canteen, which has been hard to stay on bsd way off life. Havent had a chance to weigh my self, hopefully havent put on anything. Flying back home in next couple of days, will get back on the wagon. Have a good one all.

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Whatever you have achieved will be great, + o -. Been through similar recently, whenever its the right time, make it a new start for you. Take care, you will succeed,

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi All. I know that I will probably be putting on some weight this week as it is half-term here in the U.K. and we have our 6 year old granddaughter for about 10 days.
    Unfortunately we cannot dictate the same meals or mealtimes as we would normally adhere to as her body clock and tastebuds are totally different from ours.
    Also, we will be interacting with other members of the family who also have young children and whose families like high carb food. Will be trying as hard as possible but will be very difficult to resist.

bloke41. Sorry to hear of you recent loss. I lost my mother in June at the grand age of 95. Still coming to terms with it as she only lived two doors away for over 40 years but for the last 4 years lived in a nursing home which was only 2 miles away.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Very sorry to hear about your granddad, bloke41. And your mum, mental4ever. The reason I keep making such frequent trips back is that my dad isn’t doing too well either. It’s my mum’s 80th birthday coming up in November and I’m going back for that. But also because I think it might be the last time I see him alive. Very sad.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Couldn’t talk about dieting in my previous post, so I’ll start here. If I’ve calculated it rightly, I’ve reached the end of my first eight weeks, most of it but not all on the BSD. Weigh-in this morning was 82.4 kg. I started at 89.2, so a total loss of 6.8 kg, of which 6.1 kg is on the BSD. Given that I’ve had at least nine days when eating along BSD lines was difficult and five when it was nigh-on impossible, I regard this as not bad going. This is the lowest I’ve weighed for at least the last two years, possibly longer.

I’ll be carrying on, as I’m pleased with the results. With any luck, the idea of restarting will spur me into doing it more strictly than I have been in the last few days.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Sorry to hear of the losses in your lives everyone (and your father’s declining health, Snoop). Praying you all have peace and comfort.

Snoop, I’m so proud of you for sticking so faithfully to the plan for 2 whole months. One or two weeks of difficulty is still so great compared to the 6 weeks of strictness. Well done. You must be so pleased to be down to new numbers!! Keep up the good work.

I have lost and kept off a measly 3 lbs!!

I think this forum has helped me with not giving up, and am grateful to have not regained. I was in a season of gaining weight, so am grateful to have halted and reversed some of that. Progress….pursuing that….

Thinking about sitting down to eat and mindfulness rather than being on the go so much (even though I’m mostly always at home…it’s just busy around here!)

Mostly I popped in to say great job!!!

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Hi everyone, I am still here too. Been following everyone’s posts and love the successful days as well as the slip ups. It’s the same for a lot of us. Very pleased to say I have lost 18.8lbs now (sorry I still like old money) and still going. So pleased with the results and the new recipe book, I make 3/4 meals from it every week. I had bought a dress (deliberately too small for a family wedding on November 25th) and this week have managed to get it on and do the side zip up! So with about 4 weeks left to go, hoping it will look even better on the day.
    If anyone hasn’t seem captainlynne’s posts/journey, look her up – she is an inspiration. Keep going everyone, it’s hard explaining to friends and family as the normal response is – just 800 calories? That’s not enough but you do seem ok?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Denisesunny, that’s a fantastic loss. Congratulations, and brilliant news on the dress. You’re right about captainlynne’s posts. Krysia is another one who’s had a tremendous success recently. And I also love reading Lucia’s thread for her humorous approach to things.

Good to hear from you Tabletalk. Three pounds is still three pounds down. If you fancy keeping us company again for the next few weeks, that would be great. I’ve given up thinking my weight loss is going to equal everyone else’s. Cumulatively, I’m quite pleased, but I remember 54 losing more in one week than I lost in several! So, one step at a time is good. You’ve also been through a lot. A hurricane would have set me back big time.

OH has lost 2 kg in the last two weeks. I thought it would be more as he is visibly shrinking. He’s not sticking to 800 cal, more like 1100, but that’s still quite a reduction. He said he has felt light-headed on a couple of occasions, so I’m sending him off to the doctor’s for blood pressure and blood sugar tests. Unlikely that his medication would need adjusting already, but I suppose the reduction in carbs might have an impact on his metformin.

My figures for today:
    82.1 kg
    -300 g
    -7.1 overall
    Yesterday’s food:
    762, net carbs 47

• posted by littlepete
    on

Hi All
    So I’ve finished my initial 8 weeks on the BSD.
    I’ve been pretty good through out and I feel like I’ve changed some of my relationships with food and drink and also got a buzz back for exercising.

Back at the end of August I felt like I was a wreck, having had several months of poor health, symptoms of out of control blood sugar and a shock when I got my blood glucose tested and it was at 20.00 mmol. This spurred me on to do something and I found the BSD.

So 8 weeks later and what has happened. Well, lets have some stats first.

My start weight was 127.3kg – today i’m down to 119.5kg – a loss of 7.8kg (or 1.22 stone!)
    Blood glucose started at 13.0 mmol – today my reading is 6.9 mmol and tends to average at about 7.4 mmol
    Blood pressure was very high averaging 176/118 (often alot higher) – my most recent reading is 146/98

All very encouraging and really pleasing results. I couldn’t be happier with the progress over the course if the 8 weeks. There is still a lot to do and I want to improve my results further, this for me is just the start.

There were some other noticeable changes. I am sleeping much better and generally get a good full and undisturbed sleep. I feel more energized and mentally sharper. I got rid excessive wax in my ears and noticed an improvement in my toe nails of all things!

I tried to stick as closely as possible to the 800 cals a day and I used the recipes in the book for the majority of my meals. The first couple of weeks were a struggle as I felt like the meals were so small and it took a bit of time to get used to. But I soon adapted, and started to try a few things I thought I did not like – like aubergine (egg plant), courgette, butternut squash. Some of the food has been amazingly tasty! I have slipped occasionally in the later weeks – I had a pizza, occasional cake and a couple of times a meal at McDonalds – funny thing was though that I felt like I lost a bit more weight after having this junk.

I’ve not really followed the exercise plan in the book, but I started walking about 2.5 miles a day, 5 days a week and in the last 3 weeks I’ve returned to the gym and started doing the body pump class again for the first time in over 10 years! I’m really enjoying my exercise once again.

I’m going to carry on for now as I don’t feel deprived in any way and I’m loving the food – and I’ve a lot of weight to still loose. This first 8 weeks was just the start!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Result!
    Well done, littlepete, on every front. Weird about the ear wax, less so about the toenails, as someone else reported much better fingernails.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Littlepete that is awesome! Well done.

• posted by Snoop
    on

My figures for today:
    81.6 kg
    -7.6 overall
    Yesterday’s food:
    881 cal / 66 carbs / 13 fibre

• posted by bloke41
    on

Good to be home finally, been a tough 4 weeks or so. Haven’t weighed by self for the last 4 weeks.
    It’s week 9 of my journey, and was not sure what results would bring considering a lot of time spent in hospital visiting and not weighing in food intake and having meals out a lot.

weigh in result: 141kg
    waist 142 cm
    weight loss for last 4 weeks 6.7kg

starting weight 159.9
    waist 158cm

total weight loss after week 9 : 18.9kg

Will be going for a well earned, week end break with my OH in the next two weeks, will splurge a little but will be back on the bandwagon.
    99kg in sight but still seems so far.

Have a good one all, keep on keeping.

• posted by TeddyBear
    on

Bloke41 you’ve been doing really well. You are a similar weight to me, so it shows that even big guys can do this. Hopefully I can get similar results to you once I get past my month 2 write-off!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Good to hear from you, bloke41. That is some result. I wouldn’t have managed to keep the diet up under such difficult circumstances. And your overall loss is amazing. You have far more willpower than me, that’s for sure. 99 kg is indeed in sight.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Today’s weigh-in: 81.3 kg, so down 0.9 kg in the last week. Had a significant upward blip in the last few days, so glad to see a drop this morning to a new low for me.

• posted by bloke41
    on

Great stuff snoop keep it up, any goal in mind? If you put your mind to it Teddybear im sure you can do it to, i have found as time goes on, you get more benefits, more energy, better sleep, less feeling crappy and no more having a bloaty gut. Though there has been one minor draw back, had to buy a bloody leather puncher for the belt.. Have a good one all.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I couldn’t find a leather puncher, I used an electric drill…..

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi bloke41, yes I have an end goal in mind, but it’s so far off I try not to think about it. Except when counting down the payments to the end of the mortgage, which will happen around the same time in April-May.

As for our clothes, Mr Snoop had to tighten his belt another notch yesterday. So that’s a good sign. Also a good sign – but a relatively expensive one – is my trousers I bought just three weeks ago are now a bit loose. Bit daft buying new trousers while on a diet, but my other ones were wearing thin and I was getting worried about them going through while out in public! So, not much option.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Teddybear, when are you re-starting?

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi everyone. Restarting my diet tomorrow after two weeks of having endured half term with 6 year old granddaughter, Halloween and Guy Fawkes night all of which encompassed large amounts of Carbs which I tried to limit. Luckily when I have weighed I was still the same as when the insanity started. Looking at my calendar to the new year I only have 7 family, friends, birthday, wedding and seasonal meals booked but at least I hope they will be at venues where I may be able to swap the carbs out to a certain extent.
    Keep you posted how I get on with my Friday ‘weigh in’
    Love to all

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi mental4ever, that’s a good result, staying the same after two weeks off. You must have been quite strict with yourself over the carbs and calories. I’m hopeless at that. Glad you’ll be rejoining.

My figures for today:
    80.7 kg
    -8.5 overall

Another ten days to go before heading back to Britain for my mum’s 80th birthday. Return suitcase will include not just the usual teabags but also nonpareille capers, which have become an essential foodstore item for Verano’s puttanesca sauce.

How are you doing, bloke41?

• posted by bloke41
    on

Doing good thanks snoop, have a safe journey. Week 10 done and dusted.
    Weigh in result 138kg
    Waist 142cm.

3kg loss for the week

Start weight 159.9kg
    Waist 158cm

Total weight loss to date 21.9kg
    Been more strick than usual got our weekend away next weekend. Next weigh in 2 weeks, dont dare to weigh my self on foreign scales, little superstitious. Have a good one all.

• posted by Snoop
    on

bloke41, that is some loss! Congratulations.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Bloke41, I agree with Snoop that you have had a terrific weight loss. Keep it up.

I only hope that I can get back on the straight and narrow as my OH keeps looking at all food ‘seasonal’ and I think is getting fed up at me saying “Christmas is only one day”. I don’t want to still be finding and eating ‘Christmas’ goodies through to Easter 🐣. 😩😩😩

• posted by bloke41
    on

Thanks mental4ever, I dont stress as much if I have a bad day, as long as you get back on the bandwagon, will be interesting if I can keep the weight off in the future, never have been able too do so. Decided to do early weigh in on friday before I go away with oh to kingscliff. Have a good one all..

• posted by Snoop
    on

mental4ever, my situation this year is completely different. Mr Snoop has joined me on the diet in the last few weeks and although he’s not being as strict as me, he’s really giving it a go. I can’t believe the change in him. We were discussing Christmas food yesterday. He asked for something healthy. Then he laid out the complete menu: a healthy vegetable soup to start, fish for the main course, maybe we could have some mince pies as our blow out, maximum one bottle of wine, maybe a glass of port in the evening. This is unheard of. Oh, and it will only be one day! In the past, we’ve had Christmas Eve and Boxing Day feasts as well as Christmas Day. Then there’s New Year plus Epiphany, which is the big present-giving day in Spain. I really think we might have turned a corner with this. I’m over the moon.

Anyway, not my ‘official weigh-in’ (that’s tomorrow), but 80.5 kg this morning. Not very different to a couple of days ago, but it’s still in the right direction.

And yes, bloke41, that’s my philosophy. I’ve started calling it January-thinking, like getting back on the wagon after the seasonal festivities. Looks like I should be calling it Boxing-Day-thinking instead though!

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Snoop. So glad to learn that OH has taken the bit between his teeth and giving you the support you need. I feel as though I have been flogging a dead horse for years in the amount of food we buy and then are still eating months later. What really makes me miffed is that I am NOT the prediabetic it is my OH, so I am trying to do this for him. 🤔🤔🤔
    Got my own back today as I weighed and have lost another 2lb while he did not have any weight loss.
    Forgotten what my main stats are except that I have now lost 22lb and down to 12 stone

Started booking my Disney Vacation Club holiday for Oct 2017 so I am determined to get down to at least 10 stone by then. What an excuse to buy new holiday clothes. Ha Ha.

• posted by Arthurconandoyle
    on

Hi everyone.
    Back on board tomorrow after having lovely houseguests visiting. Went off the diet track a bit but not regretting it, I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with them. Looking forward to catching up with all your successes, large and small. Will have my own to add next week, hopefully! 😊
    Cheers!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi guys, good to hear your news. I’ve been heading in the wrong direction in the last few days, so I’ve got four to get back to where I was on 8 November (somehow put on 0.8 kg in four days!) before a trip to Britain. Then I’m back on the case with you as from 20 November. Will post before I leave.

• posted by bloke41
    on

Week 11 done and dusted, just back from our relaxing weekend away, have indulged a litte past couple of days. Todays weigh in 137.7kg
    Waist 139cms
    Total weight loss for the week 0.3 kg

Start weight 159.9kg
    Waist 158 cm

Total loss to date 22.2 kg
    Have a great week all,

• posted by bloke41
    on

Hi all little quiet here. How the birthday go snoop? Been increasing the steps this week, had a new record yesterday 23, 271 steps, feeling tad ginger this morning. Been very quiet this week on the home front, with the wife holidaying with her mum in Cambodia and Hong Kong. My ears think their on a holiday too. Hope shes not reading this lol.
    Well week 12 is done and dusted.
    Weigh in result 134.8 kg
    Waist 136cm
    Loss for the week 2.9kg

Start weight 159.9kg
    Waist 158cm
    Total weight loss to date 25.1kg

Have a great week all, keep on keeping, bloody hell wish I had a spa bath

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi bloke41, yes, I abandoned my post there in absolutely every respect. You’ve achieve some fantastic results, there.

Weight put on. The only thing can say in my defence is it could have been worse! Anyway, I’m going to give myself a week and weigh in next Monday. At least the trousers I bought at the beginning of October are still too big, so there’s hope for me yet.

• posted by bloke41
    on

Gday all, week 13 done and dusted, been a big week of walking heaps and big session in garden today
    Weigh In result. 130.5 kg
    Waist 134cm
    4.3kg loss for the week, very happy hard work paid off

Total weight loss to date 29.4kg

99kg goal, still feels miles away.
    Have a great week all
    Ps snoop hope ur weigh in goes well

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi bloke41. What amazing results. Your target isn’t much further off than what you’ve already lost (I’m sounding a bit Ernie Wise there). That is one heck of an achievement.

My results are feeble in comparison but anything is better than nothing.
    Now 80.4 kg, total loss 8.8 kg.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Losing very slowly at the moment. Last week’s weigh-in was the same as the previous one due to lots of celebrations. This week am down a bit to 79.9 kg. Determined not to head back into the 80s again!

• posted by bloke41
    on

Great stuff snoop keep it up. Week 14 & 15 done for me, work xmas party and 8 beers or so, probably more & 3 course dinner later, I put on 2kg for the two weeks taking my weight up yo 132.5kg, though for some reason my waist reduced by 5cm to 129cm. Back on course, definally harder in the silly season have a good one all

• posted by Snoop
    on

2 kg isn’t much in comparison to what you’ve lost. At the rate you’ve been going, you could lose that again really quickly. That said, given the great result on your waist measurement, is it possible the 2 kg is muscle?

All my pre-festive season events are over. Christmas day itself, we’ve been invited out to an Italian’s for lunch. So the food should be pretty good and perhaps not too unhealthy. He was talking about making ravioli, but even if pasta is on the menu, it will only be a small amount, especially in the case of ravioli. Certainly there’ll be no Christmas pud! He’s asked me to make some mince pies, though. At least we don’t have lots of visitors to keep the binging going on for days, which is what really sets me back as I find it difficult to get back on track afterwards, not so much with the food as the drink.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Tabletalk, mental4ever, Arthurconandoyle, anyone else… you still out there? Fancy joining back in, maybe in the New Year?

• posted by denisesunny
    on

I’m still here! Very lazy posting but read all the posts. Follow captainlynne’s posts avidly. Very inspirational journey. I’ve almost lost 2 stone now. Got to my cousin’s wedding and fitted the dress I’d bought deliberately small. Now setting other small targets to help keep me going.
    Not counting the calories at the moment but still eating low carb and I know most days will still be eating around 8-900 calories as they are the same meals I was eating early on. This way of eating really suits me and for whatever reason my head is in the right place. Although in the middle of a week of Xmas lunches and two big Xmas meals out I’m not worried about it. Just feel confident it will all be ok and once my birthday (2nd Jan) is out of the way, I’ll just carry on. I don’t mean I’ll be eating badly on all the days until 3rd Jan just hoping the indulgent days will be balanced by the good ones.
    I’ve been wondering about the others in this group too and hope they, like me are still there lurking in the background. Merry Xmas and lets hope 2017 is a good year for us all. Denise

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum and hope you don’t mind me joining the conversation here. I’ve been reading all your comments and I’m finding them really helpful and inspiring. Yesterday I started my first 800 calorie day and was amazed that I didn’t feel deprived. I am very overweight and usually eat over 2000 calories a day. So I couldn’t believe I didn’t feel deprived in any way. Today I am doing very well too, so far. I have ordered the book from fishpond and should receive it in the new year. So I’m doing my own idea of the diet until then. I’m a 68 year old, type 2 diabetic with hypothyroidism and really hope that I can get to the stage of coming off the metformin. I was diagnosed 12 months ago and my HbA1c have been 5.3, 5.6 and 5.8 so far. I’ve lost 20kg in that time and need to lose a lot more. I live in Australia and I’m addicted to sugar, cream and carbs. I’d dearly love to get over that.

• posted by bloke41
    on

No idea snoop, l would’nt think so, maybe more fluid retention thing, l was little bemused and while out shopping it got the better of me and tried one of those coin operated weight things and that was higher than at home, will stick to the scales at home. Welcome Jo, best of luck on your journey, and good to hear from you denisesunny. I have my week 16 weigh in this Sunday will try to post, got the wife away interstate for the weekend at friends, so hopefully my temptations dont get the better of me, considering she already bought the ham couple of days ago, l cant bare to look in the fridge…… Have a merry Christmas all.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Thanks for the welcome bloke41 it’s good to have found the forum. Good luck with your weigh-in on Sunday. Although I do realise it has nothing to do with luck. It’s all dogged determination. Resist that fridge lol. Merry Christmas to you too.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi denisesunny. Good to hear your news. It sounds like you’ve got this thing cracked! Brilliant.

bloke41, good luck with the ham. The tradition here (I live in Spain) is to buy a leg of cured ham. I thought about it, but finally have decided not to get one. Just too much temptation sitting there, inviting me to slice a bit off when passing. Each slice might be relatively small, but pass by often enough and they soon mount up. Good luck!

Jo, welcome to the show. I bought the books (diet and recipe book) but in the end, I’ve done the same as you: sorted out my own recipes or adapted my own (which mostly means leaving out the starchy carbs) and then logging intake on fatsecret to make sure I don’t go too far over.
    I’m not diabetic, so I can’t comment on your HbA1c readings, but there has been a very interesting discussion about that on the Strictly thread among a number of people who are doing a Future Learn (online) course on diabetes. If you haven’t already read this thread, here’s a link to what is currently the last page of that thread. You’ll have to go back a few pages to find the start of the discussion. Future Learn courses are free and people all over the world can sign up. If a course is running, I understand you can join at any time.
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/strictly-our-last-4-in-2016-nov-22nd-lets-go-out-on-a-high/page/16/

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome Jo.

Interested to see your HbA1c readings – they’d be classed as ‘normal’ here in the U.K.

Many folk on here have successfully come off Metformin so hopefully you will too. I was at the stage where it was being threatened again, but now a year and a lot of lost weight later, my blood results are normal. And have been for many months.

Best wishes for a successful BSD journey.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Hi Snoop. Thanks for the welcome. Thanks also for the link to the Strictly thread. I’ll have a good look at it. I didn’t realise people did this diet even if they don’t have diabetes. I thought it was a diet to beat diabetes. Obviously it has other benefits too. It sounds really interesting. I can’t wait to get my book.
    Thanks for the welcome captainlynne. I’m glad to hear that many have come off Metformin. I’m so glad your results are normal. Do the doctors consider you’re cured of diabetes then, or is it always something to be fought off? I’m thinking it’s something we will always have to be aware of.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Jo Gardner

The situation with doctors here in the U.K. seems a bit of a grey area.

Some of those who have returned to normal blood sugar levels on the BSD have been taken off the diabetes register while others, like myself, have doctors who refuse to do that. The diabetes nurse agrees I should come off, but the gp refuses (this is the doctor who said I was being overtreated for diabetes when I was on no medication at all for it, and who has never seen me!)

I’m now saving the NHS even more time and money by not cluttering up the waiting room on a fairly regular basis.

I’m curious to see if I will still get letters to go for HbA1c test, retinopathy appointment and foot appointment.

I think we do need to be aware of the diabetes for one reason. If we revert to our old way of eating it is likely to return too. Those nasty carbs must have no place in my diet now or in the future. But all the benefits of not eating them far out way their absence.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

That’s interesting captainlynne that there doesn’t seem to be one plan of action for treating diabetes.
    I did rather suspect that I would have to stay off carbs for good. I really am addicted to them but I will have to do my best to live with it like the rest of us. Plum pudding and custard on Christmas day is going to be so hard for forgo. Still it is all a state of mind so I need to toughen up … and begin to look at some low carb options. I’m sure I can find something. Last year I had the pudding plus a fruit mince pie and still only had a sugar reading of 7. But this year I’d like to be firmer with myself.
    Thanks for all your information.

Please log in or register to post a reply.