'Strictly' our last 4 in 2016 … Nov 22nd … let's go out on a high!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Mixnmatch, when people start telling you not to lose anymore weight it often says more about them than you (in some cases it’s the green eyed monster speaking), also people have become used to identifying us as chubbly and they are having to adjust their mindsets. In other words, see it as a sign that you are on track and only take it to heart if it’s expressed as a genuine concern from someone who genuinely cares about you!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Mixnmatch, does this mean that effectively you are at your target, maybe not in kilos or BMI but in body composition? I’m not sure I’ve understood.

• posted by Peapod
    on

All your posts are keeping me well entertained while I struggle to hang on. Managed to lose 2of the 3 pounds gained in my ten days off plan but boy what a headache I have. Must have knocked myself out on Carbohydrate Corner ! Determined to still be on the sleigh as I have an appointment on Monday for blood test and weight check , I want to show the practice nurse that I can lower my weight and blood sugar by following the BSD.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – that is so interesting that your boditrax analysis shows you as being between muscular and thin muscular – and well done for that fantastic achievement. The combination of the BSD and adding some exercise is an awesome way to get rid of the fat layers.

I have had large boobs since having children and no diet in the past has decreased their size. But now – much to my delight – they are significantly smaller. Blouses now button properly with no unsightly gaps.

Verano – I must be the slowest loser on this forum. I started on 1st May and since then I haven’t eaten one mouthful of starchy sugary carbs. I lost just over a stone by 1st September when I realized that I was so bad at guesstimating the weight of the good foods I was eating and also that I do better with lower than 50g carbs. Since using fat secret and weighing my food then I lost another 1 stone 10lbs to take me pretty well to target.

This slow loss was good for me because my head is in the right place now. I no longer feel deprived because I can never go back on the starchy sugary carbs. I feel now that I choose not to bring them back into my life and it has set me free from the carb monster.

I would absolutely definitely not have got my head sorted without this forum.

So in 2017 I will continue with what works for me – keep doing the challenges, keep logging food on fat secret and keep off the starchy sugary carbs.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia

I think this our equivalent of a ‘slimming club’. When you think about it we replicate the notion of having to ‘weigh in’ once a week, to keep each other on track etc. However, I think we do a much better job.

First of all we have far superior ‘tools’. The Blood Sugar Diet is better in every way to any other ‘diet’ I’ve ever tried over the years primarily because it works!!!

Secondly, we can be online 24/7 to help each other not just once a week at 7pm!!!

Finally, there are no recriminations here just help and encouragement. If you are falling there’s somebody with advice to help pick you up and when you’re winning there are always plenty people applauding your success.

These forums are what we make them. As far as I can see we make a pretty good job between us!!!

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all sleigh riders

So good to hear everyone’s non scale victories – Krysia, so pleased for you, you must be delighted. I bought a Size 6 (in the US I hasten to add) and they are now the only trousers that fit me. Do need to find a dressmaker like yours – otherwise I’m going to have to buy 4 new suits!

For those who came adrift at Carbohydrate Corner (love it!) glad to hear you are clinging on – apparently full fat dairy is good for your fingernails so keep hanging on!!

Mother nature is visiting me today so I have put off my normal mid week weigh in and will wait for the ‘Strictly’ Final weigh in on Tuesday – nothing before then. Half a pound from target so fingers crossed!!

Have a good day all – must dash (er) ๐Ÿ™‚
    TC

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano
    I totally agree – we are doing a pretty good job between us on these forums. It is sheer genius for MM to have written the book and then given us a platform to support each other on these forums.

Topcac – wow, Size 6!!!!

Today have taken out 6 pairs of clown work trousers from my wardrobe and they are now on the charity shop pile. I also found a pair of small size 12 Next trousers that I was hoping to get into before Christmas. They are much too big and they are on the pile also (a shame because they have never been worn).

Tomorrow I am off to our nearest City with my sister for a shopping trip. I am going to pick up another 2 pairs of the size 10s for work and look around for a nice bright jumper – today it is catching up with the admin.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am sat at my desk (at home) doing the next part of the FutureLearn course on diabetes when a phone call comes, hello, I’m calling from (muffled American voice) course to welcome you etc. I told her I was currently on line and how I was enjoying the course on diabetes when she said, oh I am from the French course at Comme Une Francaise you have signed up to BUT my mum has just been diagnosed with T2 and I would be interested in the course you are doing. Funny old world. I also gave her the BSD website address.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Snoop, I suppose it does mean I am currently regarding this as being almost at my goal. My original goal in my head was to get to mid BMI but since I am right at the top end at the moment and due to my fitness level would have to lose way too much more fat to get to that goal, assuming the machine was accurate of course. It is almost certainly more accurate than my 15 year old Salter body fat scales, and seems to agree with the level of fitness I feel. I would still like for completeness to lose the three pounds I need to get me to the weight I was when I married, which is coincidentally eight stone off in total from where I started. 8 is just such a nice round number ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Daisiesmum, to be honest very few people have told me to not lose any more, and most of those that have, like my mother for example, I trust their motives. Mum is slim and always has been, I am sure for years she wondered what was happening to me and started to get worried that I might be causing myself sufficient harm that she might end up caring for me. It never got anywhere near that, but she is always going to worry a bit because she is my mother.

• posted by Snoop
    on

8 isn’t so much a round number as an hourglass number! What an achievement. Congratulations.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi Mixnmatch, it’s wonderful to have people who genuinely care! When my sis lost weight a few years ago she got SO skinny it seriously worried me (I was slim at the time)she became very gaunt – it all balanced out in the end and now she maintains a healthily low weight; I meanwhile…gained, now I’m losing perhaps she’ll be the one telling me to stop soon!

When I had significant weight loss many years ago I had “friends” who never spoke to me again! Gotta love the human race ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

That’s an extraordinary achievement. You are my hero! I’m coming up to a 6st loss but have 42 pounds to go to my goal that’s 3stone in old money but will keep on keeping on. I still feel strange saying it out loud as though someone else has done it.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

6 stone is a brilliant achievement as well. I lost my last three stone very quickly compared to the first five but then I approached this diet in gentle stages. 5:2 (800 and 1600 calorie days), then 4:3 then 2:5 before finally going for an 8 weeks. It has worked brilliantly and I have dropped straight back into 5:2, although given my Boditrax data I am switching to 800 and 1900 to try not to lose any more just yet. With the occasional Christmas indulgence day with alcohol on top I think that I should just about maintain at that, although on a site I checked today my TDEE is closer to 2200, so I’d have to have non-fast days of 2500 or more. I haven’t had one day yet since the end of my 8 weeks including my work Christmas dinner and dance where I’ve managed to get close to that.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – what a fantastic achievement. Almost 8 stone lost – you must feel so good to have done so well.

Angiebabe – congratulations you have reached the half way mark (if my maths are correct). I know what you mean when you say you feel strange saying it out loud as though someone else has done it. I still feel strange when I look in the mirror – its as if my brain is saying ‘who is that person’.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Angiebabe – sorry, I have completely misread your post. Six stone lost is amazing – no wonder you feel strange saying it out loud as though someone else has done it.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

What an afternoon! Had two meetings back to back two hours apart in San Francisco Bay Area — it is POURING rain for the first time in four years — I lost my cell phone at the post office and stood in line for twenty minutes to mail a not-very-exciting Christmas present — traffic everywhere — dinner seemed a huge logigistical nightmare — welcome to the holidays!! Super fun.
    Then got home and started a fire, poured some wine and turned on the television and lucked into the movie “Love Actually” — saved me from eating the contents of the fridge and I am now much happier laughing at movie — if you are struggling, put on this movie — can really help!!! “…if you really love Christmas, c’mon and let it snow…” (Ps — got phone back!) which idiot thought we needed to carry around a phone anyway??? Although… I can write to my sleigh pals on that stupid device…๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

• posted by Natalie
    on

Pouring rain in Sydney too. I was Christmas shopping and drove round in circles for 30 minutes to find parking, a kind stranger held his umbrella over me as I waited to cross the road with my arms full of parcels, and I got home to find I’d missed a delivery. But mostly I loved it. Christmas music playing, cheerful crowds, choosing presents for people. “Love Actually” is a great movie, I’m sure they’ll show it here as they do every year.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Thanks guys for the support. Am feeling a little nervous today am going for my pre op assessment for my knee surgery in January. I am still hoping to get out of the obese category before then I weighed this morning so I can compare a bit with the hospital scales. I have 8 pounds to go in just over 3 weeks so maybe ..maybe close but then there is Christmas! But it’s not just about the scales I know all my other blood tests are good in particular liver and chloresterol are great and blood pressure is according to my GP ‘perfect’. Anyway will let you know.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Angiebabe, you are amazing. I hope pre op assesment goes well. You should be so proud of yourself!

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 4…. LAST WEEK …. just 4 to go!

Good morning

Just catching up and have to say a huge WELL DONE!! to Mixnmatch and Angiebabe. Together with Lynne, and I’m sure others, you have all achieved wonders. This really is the place to be!!

I think one of the best things we can say about BSD is that it seems that maintaining is also possible and that I suppose is the real secret of success.

Sorry to hear about the rain in San Francisco and Sydney!!! Sure it will be dry for you soon unlike the U.K. where rain is part and parcel of life!!!

Welll last 4 days and I know as we all get busier BSD becomes more of a challenge so we just have to do our best.

I’m still standing still so really pleased. I’m happy that I can be away, with all it’s temptations , and still manage to follow a loose BSD. I’ve not been using Fatsecret because I can’t see the point of depressing myself with numbers. I’m unlikely to ‘count’ again now until the 27th but am really looking forward to getting back into my usual routine.

Hope you are all on track. Have a good day!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good luck Angiebabe!! Let us know how you go.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning Verano

After being told by the nurses at my surgery that this way of eating was not sustainable I was even more determined to stick with it.

Call me stubborn, but …..

• posted by Trelawny
    on

Hรฒpe your assessment goes well Angiebabe, I am sure that with your wonderful achievement all will be well. Mixmatch, Krysia, Topcac you are all doing so very, very well, gives me hope for the new year. I am 1/4lb up this morning but pleased as it’s been a picky week. Still maintaining the ‘M’ plan. My go to favourite recipe is Pancetta, broccoli and tomato gratin. Have always loved cauliflower cheese but this is way better!
    Have a good day everyone.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Angiebabe
    Good luck with your pre op assessment – I am sure it will go well.

Verano – yes you are right – maintaining is the key and is so possible on the BSD. When I look back at my weight loss chart over the seven months it has been weight loss then maintain over and over again. My longest maintain was for a whole month over August when we were away a lot.

Yesterday wore my new trousers all day long because it was so lovely to wear trousers that you couldn’t take off without undoing the zip and didn’t flap around your legs when you walked. They fitted so well and were so comfortable. Am off with my sister for a day’s shopping and to take my jeans to the dressmaker so she can take them in.

Am going by bus so don’t have to worry about the parking.

Hope everyone has a great BSD day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Trelawney – that sounds really nice. Is it from the New recipe book?

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Capainlynne, ah the doubters strike again! Even the fitness calculator I use is suggesting it’s not possible to reach my goal by Tuesday… OH YEAH! Motivation indeed! Who me, competitive? I don’t know what you are talking about ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cleverblonde73
    on

Good morning everyone,

Good luck Angiebabe we are all rooting for you.

This morning is for me the official 8 week mark, so reporting in results as follows

Start weight 70.8kgs current weight 63.4kgs so total weight loss of 7.4kgs very happy with that. In stone terms its a minute fraction under 10stone but seeing as the last time I was 9 stone something I cant even remember I will take it! The happy dance has reached Sussex this morning, I hope it doesnt upset the reindeer too much.

My fasting BS are now between 6.0-6.5 and when i started were between 7.7-8.4 so delighted with this. I’m on 2 metformin in the morning and 2 in the evening but when I started 8 weeks ago my hba1c was up and the doctor wanted me to add Gliclazide which I refused and started BSD instead.

Blood pressure 112/71 and has always been 120/80 pre bsd

I’m keeping on with the 800 as want to get to 59/60 kilos but know it will be a slow process.

Looking forward to a healthy xmas and new year, thanks for all the posts and support on our forum.

Have a great day Hazel

• posted by CaroleH
    on

Well, for me today is the 7 week mark and I’ve lost 21.4 lbs (So a stone and a half), so I’m doing the happy dance here in Essex. Still another 43.6 lbs to go to reach my target but I’m 1/3 of the way there.

ANGIEBABE – Nearly 6 stones!!! And in only 7 months?! That is truly incredible!! Very inspiring that I too, can do this. Good luck with your pre-op assessment. xx

MIXNMATCH – Nearly 8 stones!! Again, absolutely amazing!! You guys are really inspiring me!! Thanks you so much for your posts.

CALIFORNIAGIRL – I just love “Love Actually” and you just have to watch it every Christmas, don’t you? (Glad You found your phone, so we can hear from you.)

Go for it, DAISIESMUM! I use MyNetDiary to track what I eat and it keeps telling me I can’t get down to my target befor 21st May……well, it did but now it says 18th May, so it adjusts as I go along but still says 2lbs per week is the maximum, though I’ve managed 3lbs per week, on average.

CLEVERBLOND73 – getting JUST under a stone mark is brilliant, isn’t it. Well done.

Only 9 days until Christmas and we are all going to get there slimmer and healthier, even if our fingers ache from having to cling on to the sleigh, especially going round Carbohydrate Corner! (I love that!)! So keep on keeping on, everyone!!!! ๐ŸŽ„โ›„๏ธ๐ŸŽ„โ˜ƒ๏ธ๐ŸŽ„

• posted by Snoop
    on

Good luck, angiebabe. Hope it goes well for you.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Turns out they are going to show “Love Actually” on Monday here. At the same time as “Die Hard”, another peripherally Christmas-themed movie, on a different channel of course. Both good.

Everyone is doing so well losing or maintaining in this tricky time. I feel like I’m going to be surrounded by unhealthy treats for the next ten days! Well yes I am, and I know this because I am the one buying it. D’oh!

• posted by Lara
    on

Hello sleigh riders – just have to share some amazing news! I’ve been on the BSD for 10 weeks now. I had an Hba1c test just before I started, which came back at 8.4 (and usually between 7 and 8 in previous tests). I was on nearly 200 units of insulin a day, weight and appetite out of control, depressed and desperate as I could see no way out of the cycle.

Fast forward to 10 weeks later and another Hba1c this week. Drumroll pleas……6.0!!!!!!! My doctor actually phoned me at home about 1/2 an hour ago (9:30pm Australia time!) to give me the news. In her words “that’s a normal reading!” She was so excited for me as she’s been my endocrinologist for nearly 12 years. I am absolutely thrilled and a bit overwhelmed. I’m still on some medication (including about 8 units of insulin overnight), but hope to reduce that further over the next few months.

This program is life changing and life saving. I’m so grateful for finding my way here and all the amazing support on the forums.

on

Good luck to Angiebabe, and well done with weight loss. Also, big congrats to mixnmatch 7stone, wow.

I read someone said they went into a shop and tried on clothes without thinking and realised they had picked up size 18’s. Funny how we perceive ourselves. I was lying in bed and had a feel of my midriff and decided I must have put on loads of weight as I felt so big and bloated. Got on the scales and I am still 72.6 kg, so nothing changed. I fear getting weighed and finding this has all been a dream, so I will just keep on dreaming

BG was 122 yesterday for no reason except I have reduced insulin. This morning I am back to 90 (the perfect 5.0) and I will be leaving it there until after Christmas. My daughter tells me she has ordered a standard pie (pork pie with egg in middle), really bad of her as she knows it is my downfall. Anyway, I can eat the meat and the egg and just leave the pastry but very naughty of her.

I think I am about to stop counting and measuring as I have a fridge and freezer so, although my meals will be BSD friendly I have not planned out. Fish tonight, chicken tomorrow, beef stew on Sunday and don’t know what on Monday but we go away on Tuesday just after lunch. Keep on keeping on….

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

LARA, well done, BIG round of applause and a massive cheer for you. Awesome news! Your Doctor is obviously astounded too – keep spreading the BSD word, the revolution is growing!

on

Trelawny, what exactly is the recipe (or where) for the pancetta and broccoli, sound yum. I am doing canapes for my daughters party between Xmas and New Year and will make things I can eat. One favourite is line a muffin tin with some extra thin pancetta or Italian cured ham, make a mix of egg, cooked onion, garlic and cheese, pour into the meat mould and cook. You have mini quiches without the pastry.

on

That should be proscuitio ham not pancetta (which comes in bits)

• posted by Snoop
    on

Wowee, Lara! What a result. Congratulations. You must be so pleased.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Sunshine Girl: that sounds really nice………do you mix in any cream or cream cheese with the eggs? And on which temperature and for how long? You could guess I’m not a cook ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi sunshine-girl, in case Trelawny doesn’t see your message in time, there’s a recipe for Pancetta, broccoli and tomato gratin on page 151 of the new recipe book. Anyone know if I can copy out the recipe on here?

on

Thanks Snoop, I have the book. Yum

on

Angela06, I cook by the seat of my pants, chuck in whatever I want and just try it. Yes I would probably mix in some cream or cream cheese or ricotta, I would give it a sprinkle of some other cheese like cheddar. As for timing, 15 to 20 mins at 190 Celsius.

The cook book will be going back to UK with me so I can get my daughter on some low carb, although she does follow paleo but she is not a cook.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Yum indeed, sunshine-girl. I’ve not made it yet. I’m still getting to grips with full fat, let alone soft cheese, cheddar and sour cream all in one go. I reckon that could be a treat over the coming weeks. Still, I’m getting better. About to do lunch: courgetti cooked in butter and garlic with tomato, smoked salmon and creme fraiche. Still can’t get my head round eating this while on what others would call a very calorie-restricted diet. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello to all Strictly follower’s.

Everyone seems to be hanging in there and for me, it the great (and funny) suppport found here.
    Well done to all you big and small losers and to myself who for the first time ever, has not put on at least 7lbs BEFORE Christmas has arrived! I have resisted all offers of festive foods but this afternoon is a big test as I am to make 6 dozen mince pies.I will just keep telling myself that the mincemeat will upset my innards and it only takes one taste to say “hello” to the Carb Monster!
    Well done and good luck Angiebabe and I’m sure having your family around you will help take your mind off thoughts of assessments and operations.
    The Sleigh Ride has another week to go and I will be hanging on for dear life as our Christmas starts on Monday when all our family meet up for a two week get together. Bliss!
    X B

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Hello all,
    Well I’m still here, clinging on for dear life. Have been reading all your posts but not had the chance to update.
    I’ve been sticking rigidly to the plan however today was our end of term lunch. I work in a school and we had our Christmas lunch on Wednesday. Wednesday I was OK, had turkey, veggies and 1 roast potato but not any pudding or wine.
    Today I didn’t fare so well. Strangely after dinner last night (beef stir fry with asparagus and sugar snap peas from recipe book & Bare Naked Boodles) I was still hungry. Was hungry in the night, which woke me up too. Skipped breakfast as I knew I’d be having a good lunch but by the time lunch came, I was starving. I pre-ordered the veggie option (meat option roasted belly of pork & crackling) which was mushrooms stuffed with spinach & cheese, celeriac mash (not sure how bad this is?!) and roasted vegetables. I also had a small glass of bucks fizz.
    There was dessert and cheese & crackers. I got some cheese and a couple of crackers but was tempted by the array of desserts and ending up having a small toffee caramel cheesecake. Now, I could beat myself up about it but I’m not going to. It’s one bad meal in 6 weeks so I’ve decided to not berate myself as I usually would do and accept that I’ve eaten it, really enjoyed most of it and move on.
    Finish work today so can spend the next week concentrating, properly, on staying on track, doing a bit more exercise and getting ready for Christmas.
    Glad everyone else is hanging on it there too.
    Nicky

• posted by jmarie41
    on

NickyH43, from what you wrote it sounds like you are doing fantastic! This time of year is especially difficult because there is so much food, so many parties to attend, and Christmas time has so many rituals of which food has always played a big part in our celebrations. It hasn’t been easy for me either! I’m trying to get through it as best I can knowing I won’t be perfect. If I don’t lose weight in the next couple of weeks, then if I can at least keep from gaining any back, I’ll feel good about getting through the holiday. Seriously, you are doing great! I haven’t had much time to write on the forum but am thinking of everyone. Regardless of where you are sitting in the sleigh– front seat, middle, back or just hanging on—you are still part of the ride and doing the best you can. We’ll get through this trip together!

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

NickiH, sounds like you did brilliantly today, an occasional ‘treat’ doesn’t ruin everything (unless we let it). Nearly everything you had was within plan. Celeriac is brilliant, 2.5g carbs per 100g – and it’s delicious! I could just wolf down some celeriac mash with butter, yum!

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hi Team
    The assessment went really well although I won’t have all the results until next week – in fact they only get in touch if there is a problem. They did bloods ECG MRSA urine etc. The sister who did everything was wonderful and was explaining why they needed what information and really listened to my concerns – you can tell when they do I think.She said the big emphasis is on treating me as an individual and nothing is more important than my health and safety through the process. She made me feel so much more positive about having the op and was really keen on the skills of the surgeon I’ve chosen. She said he is in at 5.30 every morning and sees me every day I’m in hospital.

What was interesting is her comment about weight – that she was not there to make any judgements she just needed all the info to make sure I got the best care and even if I was seriously obese they would manage the situation. My weight was the same as at home just included an extra pound for clothes.

Finally for us mature women (58 and counting) all her team are women in their late 50s early 60s! So experience really counts they’ve seen it all.

So thanks for your support I now feel soooo much better

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lara – what good news. Your doctor must have been so pleased and probably couldn’t wait to ring you up at home to give you the good news. It must feel so much better injecting a significantly smaller amount of insulin now.

Cleverblonde73 – congratulations for getting into the 9 stones. It is so exciting – especially so if you can’t remember the last time your weight was so low.

Had a lovely day shopping with my sister. I picked up the size 10 trousers I had ordered, met the dressmaker who will alter the size 12 jeans and found a lovely jumper in Monsoon. The jeans will only cost ยฃ15 to alter which makes me feel a lot better about spending so much money on them as they should now last for years.

The jumper was a cowl neck which I was looking for and a bit longer than a standard jumper and in a lovely sort of muted blue grey. More importantly the only size that fitted was SMALL!!! I looked positively slender in the mirrors.

Sunshine-girl – you say you fear this has all been a dream and I feel like that also. I was prancing around the fitting room marvelling at how slender I looked and almost felt that I should pinch myself just to check if I am dreaming.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Angiebabe – good news that your assessment went so well. It sounds that you will get superb care from your medical team.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Count me in to the ‘am I dreaming’ club. I can still hardly believe the change in only six months after my first few tentative steps onto this diet framework. I love the way I feel, I grin at myself every time I catch my reflection, I have just completed a 45 minute boot camp session at the local gym and it didn’t kill me. This whole experience is the best 50th birthday present ever, I just wish it had happened a few decades earlier, so I didn’t have to go into training for several months just to be fit enough to climb a mountain with my family and a bottle of champagne on my 40th birthday, or have to have a half an hour headstart on the party on my mum’s 70th! (family tradition, among the female half anyway). That was one of many wake up calls, that started me dieting seriously in 2015, but so often have I got so far and no more, then put it all back on again, that I am convinced the same would have happened without this WOE and the science behind it entering my life.

Please log in or register to post a reply.