Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pgates
    on

Hang in there Snoop. Historically in past when I fall off the wagon I’ve let it derail me completely. This time needs to be different. After so many failures it’s hard to have faith in the process. Am trying to be positive and concentrate on changing the way I eat. Still haven’t quite managed to stay under 800 cal. Suppose need to plan out and add up the whole day ahead. Don’t really care to do that. Or perhaps at least a short period doing just meal replacements. I’m in the ballpark so not worried yet as down 5 lbs counting my 2prep days.
    Today. 6392 steps
    846 cal
    53 carbs

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Have been catching up with threads posted over the weekend and like to welcome pgates 😄😄😄. Looking forward to trying your smoothie/shake. Also, Verano’s sauce looks terrific and I cannot wait to make and try. Well done everyone, even people like me who go off the rails occasionally and get depressed.

Phew… weekend over, survived 2 meals out with family/friends and still managed to lose 1lb. Total weight loss at 4 1/2 weeks is 13lb. I have to do more exercising as I have not done much over the last 3 weeks and my OH has managed to lose 16lb over the same period.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Snoop – feel your pain – it took me almost 2 weeks to regain my epic wagon roll!

I think I have just started to start losing again. Had a takeaway curry on Friday night – no rice or carbs, purely chicken but I guess that my diet has been particularly bland of late. Two hours later it left my body….

Weekends are difficult – I spent yesterday making chocolate chip cookies and ropped scones for the family. Not having any is DIFFICULT! However, the figures as they stand today are:

Starting weight: 87.6kg
    Today: 79.8kg

Loss seems to be slowing down but so long as it is not going up then I am sanguine. I am feeling that it does not take me long to fill up. I was going to have soup and salad yesterday. I was full after the soup so the salad went back into the fridge. Soup is a lifesaver! That and sugar free jelly!

Have a good week everyone….

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Yesterday’s intake:
    816 calories
    55 carbs
    Loss is slow, but clothes are fitting great.
    Happy that though the weekend brought temptations, they weren’t too bad. As long as I keep counting carbs, I seem to be able to have the odd bite of a sweet. The tricky part is not waking up cravings, and sticking to a bite. I know I’m flirting with the edge of the cliff, but I feel in control if I’m counting the carbs/calories. Really enjoyed savory tastes a lot this far into the plan. I don’t miss the sweets unless I’m tired, hormonal, or dehydrated (ha! And those things pop up constantly, but I feel I’m learning to manage it). Definitely keeping things out of the house is a salvation.
    Anyway, Snoop, I find it’s hardest out of my element and with lots of distractions. It helped me to read the forums while I was away, (all my weight stacked on the last 2 days of my trip and over the weekend when we were coming home and hustling to unpack and get ready for a busy school week. I know just what you mean about rushing around and having no idea what you ate). Stick to it as you’re able, and just know that you can tackle it head on when you’re home. That said, it calmed my nerves to set some goals while away and feel that I wasn’t slipping into a free-for-all foodwise. Anyway, enjoy the time!

Well done mental4ever on the weight loss over the weekend!

• posted by Arthurconandoyle
    on

AFTER DAY 19

Weight : 72.8
    Steps:10,025

Been on a plateau weight-wise for a few days. Social life has made it hard to accurately keep track of calories. Took fresh apple slices in a plastic bag and a bottle of water to the movies. I have been trying to choose wisely when out but have not resisted a couple of bread rolls. Eating out again tonight -will try harder.

Welcome, pgates. Verana’s courgetti is going to be on tomorrow’s dinner plate, I think. Sounds delicious! 😃

• posted by littlepete
    on

The end of week 5!
    Weight loss now stands at 5.7kg (12.5 lbs) and I’m happy to he wearing shirts for work that were bursting the buttons just a few weeks ago. I’ve noticed too that I’m much less achy and stiff, especially first thing in the morning.

Blood glucose levels continue to hover around 7.1 to 7.9 mmol.

I saw a programme on TV tonight here in the UK about the diabetes crisis. There were a couple of cases shown of people having foot and leg amputations. Very sobering stuff and certainly a great motivator to keep going with this plan.

• posted by pgates
    on

Reading the posts here and how you all cope with the day to day distractions has been very helpful. I’m not great at planning out my menus, but trying to keep appropriate choices available, with meal replacement shakes as last minute backup. Ordered a Tai chi DVD today. Have started out practicing with you tube videos. Find it relaxing. Not sure how such slow gental movement can tire me out, but it does.
    Today 6576 steps
    706 cal
    65 carb
    Lost 6.6 lb/ 2.9 kg so far. Looking forward to the one week total.

Stay strong all.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Littlepete
    well done, that’s great
    was it the panorama program? I’m going to watch it on iPlayer when I get time
    Avila also posted a thread with a link to a BBC wales program on low carb/high fat eating that was interesting – not BSD specifically

also I recently enjoyed BBCs “The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs” – good results from regular walking

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Frog and Littlepete

I watched Panorama last night (carefully avoiding the more gruesome scenes of surgery!). Perhaps it should be required viewing for ‘non-compliant’ type 2 diabetics. I was going to ask how we have reached the point where a child has cirrhosis, and more children each year are being diagnosed with type 2 – previously unknown in this country in 2000. But we know, don’t we!

Interestingly (or scarily) there seemed to be a thought that the childhood type 2 is more aggressive 😱

Well worth watching. Not seen the BBC Wales programme yet – tonight. And I also enjoyed the one a Frog mentions “the doctor who gave up drugs”. 😃

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Captainlynne.

Just watched the Panaroma programme and I agree wholeheartedly that this programme should be shown to all non-compliant and prediabetic people, who should then be given a free BSD book and BSD recipe book. I am sure that the cost of this would be far cheaper that the cost of the surgery shown in the programme.
    I realise that there are some individuals who would still not take any notice and change their lifestyle (we have a close relative who would easily fit into this category) but at least they would have been given the opportunity.
    Sorry if I have offended anyone but I don’t believe that the cost of operations to fit gastric bands or removing parts of the stomach is the way to go when it is obvious that the person could have lost the weight themselves. I think in the programme it states that the lady lost weight in order to have the band fitted!!!! There are so many people out there who are desperate for operations for conditions they have no control over and their operations repeatedly get cancelled.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

I think this is such an interesting question. I got the impression that the op was offered almost as a realistic cost saving alternative to the financial costs of treating a future 40 years of diabetes. Much of what is currently being written about weight loss is that it is not just a question of willpower but a complicated hormonal issue complicated but a culture that pushes sugar and white carbs at every opportunity. But (I don’t have diabetes so have no first hand experience) what a lot of BSDers suggest is that the diabetes diet advice is currently just plain wrong so I have sympathy for those people to some extent.

What does seem clear is that we don’t have the money or organisation to tackle early diabetes and reverse it. But then I also believe in personal responsibility too and what would be interesting to know is what changed for us as a group that made us ready willing and able to change our way of eating? I for one have been overweight for years so why now? But also I was sad to see the young teenage boy who had been bought a drink by his sister who appeared unaware that he shouldn’t be having surgary pop- surely the family received enough diet education to know this was wrong.

It is so complicated. Hurray for the film which I think was great in raising the true awareness of what diabetes involves. It made me even more determined not to get it. Sad it didn’t look at the BSD

Finally do you think there are diabetics out there who are still in denial watching the movie saying things like amputation will never happen to me?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I watched the Panorama programme and it made me very sad. Sad that people are not being offered this diet or, failing that, proper dietary advice. But I do know that Birmingham Endo and Diabetes department are running a trial on this diet as my daughter met a nurse on the plane over to see me and they started discussing it. Big tick for a step in the right direction.

If you read the paper by Public Health Collaboration UK and their recommendations to NICE (www.phcuk.org search for Advice for Health etc etc) the main reason NICE are not willing to implement this dietary advice is mainly one of cost. They are not looking at the big picture of how much diabetes and heart disease etc are already costing and how much money they could save once they have trained the medical personnel to advocate LCHF, not necessarily 800 calories, but the principle of it. That would more than outweigh the costs of training.

Lynne, I think the reason the childhood diabetes is much more aggressive is because it is more difficult to get a child to control their eating, exercising behaviour, they are too young to understand the future implications so carry on with the soft drinks. Think of the mentality of smokers, especially young ones, the young are going to live forever. Yeah. Also if you get complications at age 60, 65 or 70 you might have another 10 or 15 years to live and get to 70, 75 or 80. If you get complications age 20 you might not see 30. Terrible. The programme made me cry and I used to be a nurse, but I have never seen an amputation and its outcomes. Bless the chap who was cheery to be called Hop Along Cassidy, what chance did he have. Bless the young chap whose sister thought his sugary drink was good for him as it contained Vitamin C. Bless the woman who said she did nothing to help her husband, she fed him decent meals and found chocolate wrappings in the car and pasty wrappers all over the house. Can you really blame her.

And, finally, yes we should all take responsibility for our own health but when we are given such rubbish advice how do we help ourselves.

This is the start of a revolution but it takes strong will to take up this challenge, this diet is not an easy solution, it is hard work and takes guts and motivations to do it properly and we are doing it. So bless all of us too. (By the way, I am not religious).

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi mental4ever

They said on that programme that those going for bariatric surgery had to go on a restricted calorie diet (800-1000) to reduce fat in their liver. Exactly what the BSD does. It did not show what nutritional advice they were given as to what they should eat within that calorie allowance. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Angiebabe.I think it would be a cost saving alternative against potential future costs – if people continue to eat unhealthily, running the risk of type 2 diabetes, and those already diagnosed are either non-compliant or follow the existing dietary guidance even with at leads to increasing medication.

Prior to the 1960s diabetics were advised to be careful with carbs. People wanting/needing to lose weight were told to avoid bread, potatoes etc. Then came the low-fat revolution. When manufacturers remove fat from a product they have to replace it with something to add flavour. So they usually added sugar. When we look back, it is clear that the start of the problems we now face with obesity and diabetes date back to that time.

Like many other diabetics, I’I’ve found that the only way for me to normalise my blood sugars without resorting to medication is to restrict carbohydrates. I have seen folk suffering from the effects of uncontrolled diabetes and do not want to go down that path. Perhaps that is why the timing was right for me to go on the BSD. And to stick with it.

We are all responsible for what we eat and drink. But we are conditioned to listen to the experts. Even if what they are saying is harming us. I originally decided that I would do the BSD in spite of the medical professionals. I was (and still am) doing it for me. I don’t want to lose parts of me to gangrene, I don’t want to go on kidney dialysis, and I don’t want to lose my eyesight. I want to be around for a long time yet, as fit and healthy as I can be. I have family and others who need me to be as fit as I can be for as long as I can be. It’s not always easy, but the consequences of not doing it are far worse than any difficulty or inconvenience along the way.

But, yes, I think there are still people who will not take responsibility. There will still be the ones who prefer to take medication that lets them eat what they want, then wonder why they need increasing medication. My diabetes nurse has told me about patients who go for the so-called easy option! And, yes, there are the ones who think it will never happen to them.

Looks like I’m turning into a campaigner😱

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I think what you say is very sensible Captainlynne

The other thing to note is that once you are accustomed to eating refined carbohydrates you become literally “addicted” to them. This high blood sugar spikes and the resulting falls leave you desperate for more of them to eat.

This is the body changing the way it obtains energy and leads to excess calories and less fat burning.

So we have now been educated to call people “greedy” when really they are driven by the desire for carbs. Not helpful to blame and shame.

It can indeed be hard to give up refined carbs especially if you are used to eating them regularly at each meal.- and them worsening the effect with sugary drinks, biscuits, slices of cake, Cappuccinos and (worst of all) 0 fat foods.

But getting through that initial period of difficulty and finding the huge variety of food you CAN eat – and how delicious it is – cam be a total revelation as many people here have found. And life-changing.

Fantastic to see so many trying the BSD in recent threads. Please carry on, newer starters, even if it feels tricky. Get back on the bus if you fall off. – as you likely will – the control over your life is invaluable.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

sunshine-girl

That may be true about children. I”be worked in various areas of the NHS (office, not nurse) and seen patients with many kind surgery of problems. But I was upset last night watching Panorama.

I was full of respect for ‘Hopalong Cassidy’ and wish him and his wife well for the future. The male nurs who was going for bariatric surgery certainly had an interesting breakfast – 4 weetabix, topped with Shrddies, washed down with a pint of tea. And all the chocolate he ate😱 I did feel sorry for the girl who bought the Ribena – she thought she was doing the right thing How many times have we done something similar in the past?

How do we help ourselves? We listen to our bodies. For diabetics, if we find carbs raise our blood sugar we cut them down to a level that does not affect us regardless of what ‘they’ say. The medics want us to be proactive in our treatment, but are reluctant to give us the tools. So we buy the BSD books, we come on here, we support each other. Together we can do this. It takes a long time to gradually turn a big ship and it is possible that it will take a long time before what we are doing becomes mainstream and the routine advice given. But it will come. It has to!

Right as usual, igorasusual 😃

Sensible! Me! Those who know me might disagree LOL. But thank you 😃

Food manufacturers have got us hooked on their products. I remember from the early days on these forums that people were describing withdrawal symptoms from carbs that were likened to coming off hard drugs😱 And the slimming clubs are not free from blame either. Their branded products are far from healthy. Most of the time they do not actively encourage healthy eating. It seemed to be ‘eat what you want as long as you stay on plan, within the points allowance’. So many people at the clubs planned their intake around their ‘treats’ whether it be alcohol, chocolate or whatever. Once they’d factored that in, they’d work out their meals. Hardly healthy. And of course one club says you can eat ‘until full’ – but many of us had difficulty with that concept. And that included almost unlimited carbs!

To everyone – old-timers, newbies, and those in between – keep on keeping on. Never give up.

on

AFTER DAY 20

Weight: 72.5 kg
    Steps: 12,450

I saw a documentary recently about Ireland. Apparently it has gone fom the thinnest country in Europe after WW2 to projections that it will be the fattest by 2030. Sugar seemed to be the issue. The narrating doctor’s voice was annoying but the information was very confronting. I will look out for the other documentaries. Thanks for the heads up, everyone.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi all.

The problem is ‘where do you start’.

School – when I was is school (many many moons ago) we had cookery lessons but what did we make? Sponges, puddings, crumble etc. because these were not things that could easily be bought and were considered as treats. At home we ate healthy filling meals.

Doctors Surgery/Hospital – as previously mentioned dietary information between them is often contradictory. My OH and I found this out firsthand as information the surgery nurse gave us was totally different from that given by the hospital dietitian..

It’s a pity Hospitals could not run some sort of daytime/evening weekly meetings on the same lines as Weightwatchers/Slimmimgworld to get the message over about diet, whatever your medical problem is. BUT once again everyone has to be singing from the same sheet for it to be of any good.

I am lucky that no one in my family has diabetes but out of my OH 5 sibling 4 of them are pre or diabetic.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

PS. Where do you start ….cont’d

Just a note to say that I have started by word of mouth. The friends we went out with on Friday & other friends who visited us on Monday all had the BSD ‘talk’ when they remarked about their weigh and the problems they had trying to lose it.

I will be contacting our friends in London on Friday to see how her diet is going as she started Weightwatchers last Friday. May get a little competition going to compare our weekly weight loss. 😀😀😀

NB. Ordered my BSD recipe book and cannot wait to see what goodies it containes.

• posted by Barry Pearson
    on

I too watched the BBC Panorama program about T2 Diabetes. I specifically wanted to see if the concept of reversing T2 Diabetes via diet was recognised.

I didn’t see a hint that anyone in the program was aware of the possibility! Was this an editing decision by the program-makers, or ignorance by the medical practitioners, or what?

The talk was about calorie-reduction. I didn’t spot a hint that reducing refined carbohydrates was essential. Just about every person who was in serious trouble talked about their diet, and they didn’t suggest that they realised that part of the problem lay with refined carbs. The medical practitioners talking to them appeared to know they were eating them, but instead of guiding them away from them, they just talked about the importance of calorie-reduction. One of the men talked about his breakfast, full of refined carbs, but his self-criticism was about his chocolate “habit”. He thought that is where the trouble lay.

I think at one point there was a shot of a woman representing Diabetes UK, with a poster of the PHE Eatwell Guide behind her. That sort of guide, with its emphasis in getting a significant proportion of energy from carbs, has become institutionalised. I wonder whether it has been recommended to these patients along with calorie-reduction?

By the end of the program, I felt that there is a long way to go before the Obesity and Diabetes pandemics can be halted!

on

AFTER DAY 21

Weight: 72.3 kg
    Steps : 12,540

Still going, with ups and downs but mostly “downs” on the scales. Looking forward to breaking through the 70 kg barrier, it’s my mini goal. Big goal is 60 kg. No, that won’t be too thin, I’m a shortie.😋

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Interesting thread going on the documentary. It’s fascinating how they leave out facts.
    I feel like I’m trying to turn a massive ship with this diet, and I keep going 2 steps forward, one back. So this week was a step back. Had snacks in the house for the kids, but I couldn’t stay out of them. Stressful moments of schooling are my worst temptation, so I flew to the pantry instead of prayer. Didn’t work!
    I seem to do fine if there is nothing in the house though. Also haven’t exercised in almost 2 weeks. I don’t seem to lose at all without that. Trying to figure out a schedule at home that will work.

I came across this little quote this morning that lifted my spirits some:

“Failures, repeated failures are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.”
    C. S. Lewis

So, one could make a case that failure is just failure, and sometimes it is, but I think this pertains to onr having a will to achieve and move on, but stumbling.

I can say that we as a family have come a long way in the past few weeks with stepping away from baking and making food our treat on date nights and family times. I think we’re all getting used to home life not being made cozy by sweets. We already love reading, games, walks, etc, but doing those things without sweets has been a withdrawal time. The kids aren’t totally without sweets…they are dragged into every social event, so they have ample opportunity. I’m grateful for hanging on by a thread the last few days. Had some high carb days and was up to 1000 calories some, but my digestion has definitely gotten more sensitive, and I do like the BSD way of eating. I feel so much better on the diet. Keeping the treats out of the house seems pivotal, as well as not giving up.

Keep up the good work all! Your stories are inspiring!

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi all. Guess that the Panorama documentary left us all a bit numb that no direction was given to the patients about the diet they needed to follow. Aren’t we lucky that we have managed to find it and I admit I will keep plugging it to anyone who wants to know about a diet that is satisfying, easy to follow and not full of gimmicks which cost a fortune.
    We were out visiting family yesterday and they could not get over the OH’s look as the shirt he chose was a bit baggy on him. So another talk about BSD even though they are slim she knows a few people who are struggling with their weight so it may filter through.

Stats to end of week 5

Total weight loss 1st 2lb (current weight 12st 6lb)

Had a target 🎯 weight to take me up to Christmas 🎄 of 11st 8lb but determined that this figure will be even lower by the time that holiday comes around. ❄️❄️❄️

• posted by Snoop
    on

Am back, an honest woman after 35 years! Anyway, food was totally disastrous. No access to kitchen, so ate out three meals a day for the last five days. Dread standing on the scales. Will get back into the swing of things over the weekend and weigh in on Monday. Looking forward to rejoining you all. OH, now husband but will continue calling him OH, is definitely up for joining in. The pair of us feel a bit poisoned after these last few days, if the truth be told.

The documentary sounds as if it was interesting. Certainly got a debate going, and that has to be good. Tabletalk, you sound like you’ve made some positive changes in your family. Sounds like we’re all going to make good missionaries. Is anyone else reading Lucia’s thread? She’s doing a brilliant job of encouraging people. Her recent post about getting people exercising on the bus was hiliarious.

OK. Off to bed. Didn’t get home till 5 am and am now flagging. But wanted to check in and say hello.

• posted by pgates
    on

First week down. I’m not diabetic, but with my family history and weight could end up that way if I don’t make these changes.
    Week one loss 9.2 lbs/ 4.18 kg
    Goal for this week, continue 800, and increase steps to 7000/d. Wondering how low need to keep carbs for this to continue to work? Know that will inevitably will slow down this week.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Congrats Mrs Snoop! I’m starting again (week 9 for me) on Monday too (after a naughty week off-plan!) It is interesting to see what ‘normal’ people eat and realise that that was us not so long ago! Good on your OH for wanting to join our merry band – my OH (who would benefit from a little weight loss) is keen but not yet committed enough to give up his daily bread.

• posted by Snoop
    on

OK, I couldn’t resist it: I weighed myself this morning. Back up to 85.1 kg (so up 1.4 kg), but given what I’ve drunk and eaten these last few days, I’m very pleased it wasn’t more. Party today to celebrate but back on the bandwagon for real as from Monday. See you then. Have a good weekend.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Congratulations Snoop. Hope you had a fabulous time. Get back on the diet wagon and you will soon get that weight off. ❤️❤️❤️

• posted by Snoop
    on

Well, if anything, this weekend has been worse diet-wise than while I was away. I’m really looking forward to getting back on the diet. I’m feeling even more poisoned than I did on Friday.

Weight: 84.5
    Change: – 0.6
    Overall: 4 kg

Yesterday’s food
    1688 calories (far, far too much wine…)
    109 net carbs (spaghetti, not courgetti…)

No idea how I lost weight in this morning’s weigh-in. Presumably the wine hasn’t yet settled as fat.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I came across this TED talk on the Web yesterday by an American obesity specialist:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
    Title: Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU
    Over a million views.Dated May last year. Confirms the BSD hypothesis. About 18 minutes long.

Weight: 83.5
    Change: – 1.0
    Overall: 5 kg
    Yesterday’s food
    755 calories
    39 net carbs

So that’s all the wedding weight and a tiny bit more already gone! Seems unlikely, but there you go. Probably go up a bit tomorrow.
    Either way, this is the lowest I’ve weighed all year. I seem to lose weight more slowly than everyone else (even allowing for holidays), so I’m setting myself a target of getting into the 70s by the middle of November. I won’t have weighed that for at least 15 years. Talk about turning the clock back!

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Congratulations Snoop on the weight loss!!

I came across this Ted talk as well, and was encouraged. There is so much evidence for this type of eating, but I don’t know why it seems to be such a secret to everyone. Someone posted a while back about the old days when people knew that bread and carbs were the culprit and they could maintain weight better. Seems we’ve tossed out some good wisdom as a culture.

Been very busy lately…lots of friends with power outages and flood damage (we live in NC) due to hurricane. Doing well as far as that goes, but haven’t been on the diet. I am surprised that I lost weight/maintained over this last week even though I have cheated quite a bit. I read somewhere that a cheat day increases leptin levels (I think?) And temporarily tricks the body into shedding some weight. I need to get back on track though.

Goal for today…water!!

And Snoop, it’s absolutely true about feeling poisoned when off the diet! My body reacts much faster to being stuffed and eating carbs. It’s been a great deterrent, as I know how yucky I’ll feel! That never used to happen! What a mercy!!

• posted by Antigone
    on

Good news Snoop! We’re about the same so I’m with you on reaching the 70’s by mid November 🙂
    Tabletalk – everyone says drinking water is really important but I don’t :{ I drink a lot of black, no sugar, de-caff coffee but should I drink water as well? I’m spending plenty of pennies! Interesting about the leptin too.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’ve just been reading about leptin, as I knew nothing about it, Tabletalk. Insulin resistance, leptin resistance… It’s no surprise that so many people are overweight. We’re not meant to be living in times of food oversupply, that’s for sure.

Hope you’re doing OK, Tabletalk. Not surprised you’re having difficulty sticking to the diet. I bet you’re run off your feet.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Antigone, off the top of my head, water has been one of the top things to fuel weight loss. For one thing, my thirst mechanism is weak (and diminishes the more dehydrated I become) so I often feel the urge to snack instead of the urge to drink. Its an urge, though, not physiological hunger pangs. I can make it with no snacks as long as I’m drinking. It also really improves my energy levels in the afternoon. I don’t need coffee if I’ve had a liter or two by midday. Another liter in the afternoon keeps me energetic (which is usually when my sugar cravings begin). It also helps me with portions. I feel full and can stop at smaller portions when I really drink at dinner. I aim for 3 liters a day, but even 2 is good if I get it in by dinnertime. Makes a huge difference in how I feel, which keeps me away from the kitchen! And just getting used to plain water has served me well. I love seltzer, it’s my treat, but hubs just told me the acidity of the co2 erodes tooth enamel!

Best to you all. I hope to go down this week. Been hanging out at 165/164 lbs all week. Praise the Lord not gaining!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Weight: 83.4
    Change: – 0.1
    Overall: – 5.1 kg
    Yesterday’s food
    694 calories
    61 net carbs

High on the net carbs, but could be worse, especially as the Fat Secret figures are usually higher than on the pots/packets I get here. Bit under on the calories, but we have yet another celebratory do this evening, so will probably go over a bit.

OH eating more than me but still considerably less than he ordinarily would. But he is extremely active in comparison with me. I can see his midriff shrinking already in just a couple of days.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Am finding it hard to stay on the straight and narrow. OH has joined me but isn’t being very strict. So I’m lapsing more. He’s doing his best, but I need to do better.

Today’s weight: 83.5
    Change: +0.1
    Yesterday’s food:
    1083 calories
    90 net carbs

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Snoop. I am sure that things will settle back down and you will soon be back on track. Give OH a dig in the ribs when he tries to tempt you with another glass of wine or better still have a glass of water next to your glass of wine and every now and then take a sip from this and not the wine.

Had a look at the video you posted earlier and once again amazed that the doctors know how the cure/reduce the problem but it is not filtering down.

Stats to the end of week 6
    Lost 3lb this week
    Current weight 12st 3lb
    Overall weight loss 1st 5lb

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Mental4ever, thanks for the encouragement and advice. The fact of the matter is that getting married and dieting don’t really go well together. Yet another supper with friends to celebrate this evening… Yesterday wasn’t brilliant either, but less than I might normally have eaten.
    And yes, the doctor in the video is trying her best to get the message across, but you can tell from the feeble response from the audience that they’re not that convinced.

Today’s weight: 83.2
    Change: -0.3
    Overall: -5.3
    Yesterday’s food:
    982 calories
    100 net carbs

on

AFTER DAY 30

Weight: 72.7 kg
    Steps: 12,400

Well, I have kept up the activity and I must say that I do enjoy the walks out in the fresh air. Weight wise, I seem a bit stuck. Not really putting on weight but not really losing it, either.

I know that I need to stick more closely to the diet.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Me and you both Sir Arthur!! 🙂

• posted by Snoop
    on

Last meal out for a bit last night, but yet more friends coming round this evening. Shame we can’t have all our celebrations in one go.
    Yesterday’s figures include restaurant meal with friends that we haven’t seen for months. Told one we were dieting, so we wouldn’t be going totally mad. She lives in the UK and asked us if we knew about the latest medical info on dieting. She pretty well described the BSD. Good to hear. The news is getting out. Anyway, no weigh-in for me this morning. Not chickening out, but a visitor arrived while I was still in bed and I didn’t have time.

Food: 1309 calories
    Net carbs: 91

• posted by Snoop
    on

Today’s weight: 83.1
    Change: -0.1
    Overall: -5.4
    Yesterday’s food:
    640 calories
    28 net carbs

Just need to step up the activity levels…

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hope you guys are out there and still doing OK. Tabletalk, are you still caught up in hurricane recovery? If so, hope it’s all going as well as can be expected.

Today’s weight: 82.6
    Today’s change: -0.5
    Yesterday’s food:
    953 calories
    85 net carbs

Have been eating lots of complex (and not so complex) carbs recently, but the fibre is doing my stomach good. Chickpeas are a winner! This is the only thing I can think of that has helped this morning’s weight loss.

• posted by Snoop
    on

The end of my week seven.
    Today’s weight: 82.7
    Today’s change: +0.1
    Overall change: -5.8
    Yesterday’s food:
    1059 calories
    68 net carbs

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Haven’t posted in a while – I seemed to be stuck too for a bit ArthurConanDoyle. However I think it was at the 6 weeks age and (apparently) this is the point where your body realises that this is not just a fad and this is actually a lifestyle change. Since then my weight has started to come down again.

Today’s weight: 77kg
    Starting weight: 88.7kg

Body has definitely shrunk. New size 12 jeans are inbound!

• posted by Cassandra021
    on

I have been off line for a while and have slipped a little, still loosing weight but around 1-2 lbs a week. Definitely need to keep on this site to keep focused. I am into week 9 so I lost 17 lbs in the 8 weeks and 4.5 inches off my waist, moved from a very snug size 16 (UK) jeans to bravely trying on size 12 (the ones with a bit of stretch) this weekend, fingers crossed! Still have at least 20 lbs to loose but the day I went from Obese to Overweight on the BMI was a wonderful feeling! Planning on keeping up the 800 cal until Christmas (and probably a few weeks after to make up for any damage) and then maintaining.

On a possibly interesting note, my daughter gave me some of her frozen yogurt at the weekend and I felt I had to eat it (stupid I know), within 20 minutes I was actually in a rage, I rarely get angry, but for about an hour I had to ask the kids to leave me alone as I didn’t trust myself not to shout. Is it possible that I am so unused to the chemicals in processed foods now that its having this kind of reaction?

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

Well done Chooky. I too have struggled the last couple of weeks. I’ve maintained, but not lost. However, I think I’m back on track this week. I’ve lost a stone so far and would like to loose another half. The stone is enough for everything to fit easily again, with fewer wobbly bits and no overhang! I have lost the stone before but always struggled to get more off, but the extra half stone is a buffer and I am determined to do it this time. It’s great to be able to open up the half of my wardrobe which has been hidden for about 5 years! Whilst I sometimes struggle keeping to 800 calories, I must say I am impressed at how easy it is to cut out the starchy carbs. I think that is something I will definitely be able to sustain long term. Onwards and upwards…..

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant result, Chookymama. You too, Cassandra.

Cassandra, maybe there was an additive in the yogurt that had an effect on you. I presume it wasn’t a plain yogurt if you describe it as processed. Maybe a brand to avoid in future.

I’m going to be carrying on for a bit, too, as although I’m starting week eight, I’ve had ten days out for trips and I have a lot more weight to lose. Will be carrying on till mid-November at least, when I have another five days away as it’s my mum’s 80th birthday, and will probably start up again when I get back. So I’ll carry on posting on this thread. Hope you’ll keep me company, Cassandra, and anyone else who started around the same time.

How are you doing, Arthur?

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi eternallyoptomistic.

Only just had a chance to read both articles and once again must agree that the correct information is not being filtered down at source. 😩😩😩

One day soon I hope that the correct ‘hymn sheet’ will be used. 👍👍👍

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Not a very good week this week as only lost 1lb. I think the main problem has been that I have been very busy sitting on my bum painting, waxing and then buffing up a farmhouse kitchen table and 6 chairs, so apart from my very weary arm (and a numb bum) my excercise has been NIL.

Stats to the end of week 7
    Lost 1lb
    Now 12st 2lb
    Overall weight loss 1st 6lb.

Please log in or register to post a reply.