Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Strawbs
    on

Love the fruit Antigone..
    Good start to the day so far…….got to get through a working lunch………..Then I should be home and dry…
    Quite excited to see the results though.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Hi everyone! Back from the beach and I’m rushing off to a long school day with the kids early this morning, but if I don’t post I’ll regret it. So did well for first 6 days of vacation. But the last 4 days of coming home I’ve nibbled a lot and exercised none in the last 2 days. I’ve been over calories and definitely over in carbs and indulging in sweets this weekend. So I’m not going to inspire anyone..but just need to get back on track. I was at 162 in Tues and am now 168 lbs. A little frustrated that in 4 days I can pack on 6 lbs, and I ate well for breakfast and lunch, just went overboard on snacking and dessert at night. So! Logging today, not giving up. It’s just the old me struggling to get my head right and say no to temptations. Thinking a lot about my frame of mind and setting expectations about food, etc. Good to hear you all are doing well. Keep up the good work!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sorry, eternallyoptimistic, how do you access these posts? Via a link in an email (which ought to take you to that post) or via the website?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Tabletalk, you’ll soon be back down. I’m a terror for giving things up at the first sign of failure, but I’m pretty determined this time to keep going. One relatively minor deviation (in the grand scheme of things) shouldn’t send us completely off course. Once you get back into the rhythm, it won’t be long before you see those pounds come back off.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hi
    I’m on week 18 and things are going well weight loss wise. I was interested in your post as what I’ve learnt over the weeks has I think affected my long term way of eating. To begin with I was only interested in losing the pounds and it seemed like it was a success or failure issue no room for grey areas. But over time I tackled some of the issues that have lead me to give up on diets in the past..such as being comfortable refusing cakes puddings etc in front of carb loving friends I found it a pressure to be different. I now check out restaurant menus on line and plan ahead of time. I never drank much but find I’m better not drinking at all no decisions to make on how many glasses to have. How to cope with falling off the wagon I no longer catastrophise the event but take time to try and work out why it happened and plan accordingly for the future and then do it again until I get this right. How to set goals short and long term. How to deal with medics ..I go heavy on the positive early on to avoid the negatives.

My next issue is going to be how to deal with success..in the past I get so far and people start gushing how great I’m doing/looking and then I give up? Why is this I know it sounds crazy as that should be the good bit? Anyone got any ideas?

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hope your day goes well Tabletalk. You’ll soon be back on track. When so little (extra) food makes such a difference to weight (gains any way!) it makes you realise why we put it on in the first place. My carb count on Saturday was 62! Usually I keep it around 32 but when I look at my weekly averages on MFP I’m way under 50 per day so I’m not too worried. Just have to be extra good this week! It’s good to post about slip-ups as well as triumph because you can be sure there will be others who’ve fallen off the wagon too – and we are here to support each other ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’m a long way off having to worry about anyone noticing my success, Angiebabe, and I’m no shrink either. But I hate being the centre of attention, especially if it’s anything to do with my appearance. Even if my OH says something about a colour suiting me, I don’t like it. It just reminds me of all the things that are wrong!

Maybe just a boost to your self-confidence would help. Have you looked to see if there are any assertiveness courses offered in the area where you live? Your local library or health practice might be able to point you in the right direction.

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

Thanks for picking up my question Snoop. It’s OK when I go in via the email link – it takes you straight to that particular post. It’s when I login to the website (when I want to post), it always takes you back to the first post of page 1. I just thought there might be a shortcut somewhere that I’m not seeing it, that would take you straight to the most recent post/s. I’m probably just being picky;)

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’ve saved this thread to my favourites. When I go into my favourites, this is more or less what I see (in two separate columns, but the copy and paste doesn’t copy it over in columns):

Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me
    Started by: 54andfatnomore in: Welcome to the BSD
    Go to page: 1 2 3 โ€ฆ 6 7 8
    ร— Remove from favourites
    358 posts Thanks for picking up my question Snoop. It’s OK when I go in via the…
    18m ago by eternallyoptimistic

It’s not obvious here, but the “18m ago” bit in the last line is a link that takes you to the last post added to the thread, in this case, your post.
    The same is also true of the minutes link in the “Recent forum posts” section down the right-hand side of the screen.

(Took me a while to work it out too.)

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

Great thanks. I’ll see what I can do. It’s no biggie, just a minor niggle!

• posted by bloke41
    on

Thanks Snoop & Antigone. Congrats on your pending wedding Snoop. We got hitched last year, lost over 25kg for it, then bloody went on a year long honeymoon, food wise, and back to square one again. You have done well at your folks, not to go overboard. I have the same test near end of next month when I fly down to see my folks and family, going to be very testing comming from a eurpeon back ground, and a eat eat mentality laced in with heavy carbs and rich protien. oh the pain to refuse the croation cakes, will take alot of willpower to say no. Great effort to all!

• posted by Arthurconandoyle
    on

AFTER DAY 12

Weight 72.8 kg
    Walking 10,000 steps.

AmyA – Welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š

Tabletalk: you’d be wrong about not being inspiring, actually. Real life is out there for all of us. We will ALL have times when we struggle to stay on the BSD. You give us a great role model of NOT allowing lapses to scupper the whole project. We can all think to ourselves “Well, Tabletalk coped with this kind of situation without giving up , so I can too.”

Angiebabe – well said. I loved your sentiments and the word “catastrophise “!

Snoop – CONGRATULATIONS on your coming wedding. Sorry about your parents. For what it’s worth, I think you did the kind thing. You were kind to let your mum be her nurturing self, and allowing her to do something special for you. And you were kind to yourself by having some cake etc but not going totally overboard. Kindness is often underrated, but really important. I think you did really well with your compromises.

Bloke41 – my godmother is Italian, so I have some idea what awaits you when you go to your family. She never pushes food on me, she doesn’t need to! It’s there, it’s delicious… What can I say?๐Ÿ˜‰ One trick that I use is to keep some food on your plate, so when more is offered you say” It’s delicious but I’m still going with this lot!” Hopefully, then they move on to asking someone else if they want more.

How to deal with success is an interesting question. Thinking about it and my own past experiences, I wonder whether it is a form of self -sabotage or is it simply that when you get close to the goal, the problem doesn’t seem like a big one any more, so you relax the discipline that it took you to get there? Will reflect on this … It’s a really good point to bring up.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Arthurconandoyle, very thoughtful and encouraging post! Wish I had more time to chat on all the ideas you and the others bring up.

Snoop congratulations on the upcoming nuptials…hope you are happy and blessed for a lifetime : )

Angiebabe, your post was really helpful…im giving lots of thought to it. I seem to struggle with casting a long term vision for eating that I like and can live with for health reasons and just liking it in general. I’m happy with this diet, but I struggle with stress eating and then just maintaining a balance in treats. I seem to need to focus very hard on the diet in order to succeed, and if I’m not paying attention, my habits aren’t what they need to be to allow me to autopilot. I’m thinking about habit training a good bit and very interested in coming to a peaceful compromise with myself on food. Sometimes I just wish it were as simple as abstaining (as in alcoholism) but of course we must eat! I have a friend who has never struggled with weight problems, but once she found that she had gestational diabetes, she gave up sugar and breads forever. She’s doing great and has lost her sweet tooth, but I seem to start and stop. Anyhow, I am just going to work on today and right now and pray for wisdom in the weeks to come.

Had a much better day. Posting here really helped me through some temptations today and to work harder at conforming to the plan.

I am just overwhelmed by everyone’s encouragement today. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and truthful but kind words! Really…thank you all so much.

Best to you all.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

I forgot….

Today:

782 calories
    26 carbs

• posted by Snoop
    on

So, end of week four for me this morning. Of the 1.2 kg I put on at my parents’, I’ve lost 900 g. I’m very pleased with that but more so with the idea that I can step off the wagon and get back on without struggling too much (though I did wake up feeling hungry at 4.00 am this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep).

This morning’s figures:
    84.5 kg
    -0.4 kg
    Overall change -4.0 kg

So an average of a kilo a week. It was getting on for 1.5 kg till I went away, when I gained rather than losing. With any luck, I’ll speed up again a bit. I had set myself a mini goal of 83.5 kg by the end of the month. Looking a bit unlikely now, but never mind.

Yesterdayโ€™s food and exercise
    776 cals
    46 net carbs
    Short walk with the dogs and an hour and 15 minutes gardening.

Thanks for the congratulations, guys. We’ve been living together for 35 years, so not much will change except legally. Even so, I’m looking forward to it. It’s a very informal do. Somewhat speculatively, I tried on a skirt yesterday that I thought might go with a blouse and cardigan my mum gave me. Amazingly, the skirt fitted me: the last time I put it on was maybe twelve years ago, and it didn’t fit me properly then. So that was good news all round.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

I seem to have hit a plateau – despite my strict 800 or less since my epic fall off the wagon last week. And the Good Food Magazine plopped through the letterbox this morning. Thats not what I needed to see right now. And I suppose that it reinforced my lifestyle – I used to love cooking but in the last three weks it has become so ‘mundane’ that I am eating out of rote and not out of pleasure. I still have around 10kgs to go so am trying to remain strong. I know that I have lost a good deal of weight (around 6-7kg) so am not that disheartened as yet….

The OH bought me some swanky digital scales. They tell me muscle mass, water etc. So if my muscle mass is 57kg and my bone mass is 2.5kg and my target weight is 70kg……will that actually work?!!??

We shall have to wait and see!

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Good attitude Snoop. Glad to see the scales are moving in the right direction for you.

Chookymama, all that sounds like me! I love getting creative with food. It works well for dieting, but I also am quite busy, and trying to resist a lot of things, so the less I think about food the better. Makes for some boring or weird meals sometimes. This week I’m returning to my sit down rule for eating. No standing up eating while I’m doing other things. Trying to get excited about herbal teas. If we do this long enough it will become a habit and a preference….

I don’t know about the percentages… interesting though! Depends on your height too. Do you have a healthy weight to return to that you were at before or is this unchartered territory? I’ve stayed in the 160s (lbs) for almost 10 years, never lighter so I don’t know what my goal should exactly be. You seem to be really active too, so all that muscle will skew things a bit.

Hands to the plow again today everyone : ) best to you all. Pumpkin season is here…and that’s a friendly ingredient to work with…

166 this morning ๐Ÿ˜‚
    -2 lbs since yesterday

• posted by Snoop
    on

Chookymama, how did you calculate your target weight? If your muscle mass is 57 kg, 70 kg doesn’t sound like it leaves much for bones and internal organs… I must admit, I can’t even begin to understand how scales can work all those things out.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

I used to be 70kg Snoop – back in the day – well actually not that long ago (my OH was diagnosed with a life limiting illness three years ago. Very well meaning friends sent me chocolate by the TRUCK LOAD. Rude not to eat it. I put on 2.5 stones in 2 months. Three years on and it had not budged despite particpating in many foolhardy sporting events but finding them incredibly hard work with my new body size!)

SO – 70kg is my target. It is also at the higher end of the range for my height so I know that I am not being unrealistic. Quite a few websites that have BMI/weight calculators.

• posted by Snoop
    on

I hope your husband is doing OK, Chookymama. I know all about well-meaning friends… we have one who spends long periods of time with us (he has a place very near us but almost no facilities – at least at the moment – so when he’s in the area, essentially he’s with us). During his most recent visit, I put on 6 kg, eating more but above all drinking more because he buys lots of wine and beer in ‘recompense’ for our generosity. When he arrived, I weighed 83.5 kg and that’s why it’s my mini goal. I’ll be going ‘properly’ downwards from there on. I have set myself a target of 25 kilos overall but probably ought to lose a few more after that. Good luck with your target.

on

AFTER DAY 13
    Weight: 72.6 kg
    Exercise: I didn’t have my pedometer on, but had a reasonably active day. Not 10,000 steps though, I shouldn’t think. Note to self : FIND pedometer!!

Good luck everyone! May today be a good one for us all.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Arthurconandoyle, you’re showing some steady losses there, it seems. Good stuff!

84.3 kg
    -0.2 kg
    Overall change -4.2 kg
    778 cals
    73 net carbs
    High carbs because I had an apple and peas yesterday. Using up veg and fruit in the house before buying some fresh stuff in today. My note to self: more leafy greens!

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Oh brothers and sisters I have sinned. Went away for a Baptism on Sunday and arrived back home late yesterday. Watched what I was eating (and drinking) and managed to keep calories to an average of 1200per day and expected to be the same weight this morning as my weight was on Sunday morning. Alas, this was not to be and I managed to put on one pound (gutted).
    Glad that I will be able to get back on the 800 diet but a bit worried that even when I have got the weight off if I go for the recommended daily calorie allowance of 1200 I will start pilling the weight back on.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Grrrr…I feel your pain mental4ever. It seems like very little (compared to what we ate before) makes a massive difference.
    Day 2 of my holiday and I’ve already had 500 calories of stuff I didn’t want and didn’t enjoy. I haven’t put on so far but I dread to think what will happen later ๐Ÿ™ I’ll have to pretend I’m travel sick!

• posted by Snoop
    on

mental4ever, it’s a difficult question. Captainlynne has moved over to maintenance and has upped her calorie intake but is finding it difficult to stay at the same weight because she’s still losing. So who knows?

Either way, I’d rather find out at that point than give up now. I’ve just had a look at the NHS figures: when (I’m determined it won’t be if) I hit what they describe as a healthy weight for my height, I’ll be able to eat around 1300 calories if I’m inactive, more if I’m moderately active. I have no idea how I’ll manage it. Short of eating lots of buttery courgetti!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Mental4ever and all

When you say the ‘recommended’ 1200 calories, where have you had it recommended from? (apologies if I’ve missed this).

When I finished BSD I checked what my base metabolic rate was using the following website
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You enter in your details, height, weight, (guess at)body fat(unless you have scales that measure it), activity level and it tells you how many calories per day you need to maintain your current weight. This can be a little bit less than you imagined – mine is 1500 calories per day.

So I’ve been maintaining weight by understanding this overall target, and so far have been going up 1 lb and then down 1 lb again just round my final weight. No refined carbs except very little and very occasionally, but don’t find that a problem.

I would also go well over that target calories for a special occasion (have big birthday dinner coming up in next couple of weeks), as I am confident that this is unlikely to make very much difference.

But if post BSD anyone thinks they can go straight back on diet consisting of pizzas and doughnuts (I exaggerate for effect, but you know what I mean) or more likely cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, biscuit or two in the afternoon, dinner with large portions of rice and/or potatoes, dessert with lots of sugar in, many large cappuccino type coffees with loads of milk, and bars of chocolate more than occasionally – then I think the weight will go back on.

But I am definitely NOT suffering on maintenance. Enjoying it!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sorry for hogging this thread, guys. Just wanted to say thanks to Bissell for mentioning the OXO spiraliser. I bought one and used it today for the first time No idea how it will cope with other veg but it works a treat for courgetti. Miles better than trying to cut by hand and much more appetising due to more even cooking. Total success, in other words. OH enjoyed them too.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Snoop.
    I bought a spiraliser a few weeks ago and I must say it is the best thing I have bought to date. My OH will actually eat omelettes and curries with courgettes used to ‘pad’ them out. Like you I have not tried anything else but looking forward to learning what else I can use.

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi Igorasusual.

Thanks for posting the link to check your metabolic rate. I have just dived in and checked my rate and it came out with a reading of around 1550. Many mountains to climb before I can safely look at going for this daily intake but the fact that I can enjoy 800 cals a day makes me more determined to reach my goal weight.
    Any ideas on what other vegetables can be spiraliser would be appreciated.
    I have bought an aubergine today with a view to expanding my OH’s palate even further. Glad to say that he has not rejected any of my meals so far, with the exception of an avocado. I am looking for ways to disguise this within other vegetables as the BSD poached egg and avocado just did not work for him (can’t say here exactly what was said, as you all have very sensitive ears – ha ha)

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Today:
    167lbs this am
    765 calories
    70 carbs

Working on eating habits in the home with everyone. Super busy day schooling, so that helped me resist the urge to nibble. Mental4ever, you’re holding fast in spite of a few days away. Doing great to have only added a pound. It will soon be gone!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Fantastic food yesterday and still not many calories. Could have done with a piece of fruit, to be honest, to up the fibre, especially as I had room for it in the calories and carbs.

Figures for today:
    83.9kg
    -0.4 kg
    Overall change -4.6 kg
    691 cals
    31 net carbs

All the weight put on at my parents is off, along with a little bit more. Even if I don’t hit my mini goal for the end of this month, I will before we head to Gibraltar.

Antigone, it’s not easy to make good food choices when you’re on holiday with other people. I found it very hard when I was with my parents. I cringe at the thought of some of the things I ate with them, just to be polite (I was amazed at just how unpalatable I found chips, for example). Good luck.

Mental4ever, there is a YouTube video for the OXO spiraliser and for lots of other spiralisers too. You might find they will give you inspiration. The OXO one, if I recall rightly, says you can do carrots (if they’ve got a large diameter – 1.5 inches comes to mind), beetroot, apple and squash. I imagine you could also do parsnips, potatoes and sweet potato if you’re eating those. Might be hard work with a hand-held one though. On the downside of spiralisers, we’ll be spending a fortune on courgettes this winter when they’re more expensive, as we had them for lunch and supper (OH even requested them instead of spaghetti, though he did have lots of bread too).

On the poached egg and avocado front, I didn’t think my OH would go for that either. Mushrooms or tomatoes maybe, but not an avocado. I presume they do actually go together, but it’s not what people are used to for breakfast. Maybe if you omelette the egg, it might seem a bit more conventional.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Snoop – re avocado.

Just got a really lovely ketogenic cookbook written by two ladies who used low carb whilst they were being treated for cancer (some research about the benefit of low carbs slowing growth of cancer cells, which could be v helpful if proved correct)

Anyway, saw a good recipe for a rich salad dressing of purรฉed avocado with some chilli pepper mixed with yoghurt – you could experiment with spices and I thought might be good with some finely chopped spring onion – works over salad but they were suggesting over cooked broccoli. Sounds yum to me. Very rich.

Made me hungry! ๐Ÿ™‚

on

AFTER DAY 15

Weight: 72.6 kg
    Walking : 9250 steps.

I bought a spiraliser a few months ago but was a bit disappointed. Maybe I should watch the YouTube videos – it was probably me not using it properly. Will do that right now!๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Snoop and Igorasusual I’m inspired by your carb counts! I need to put some more effort into it, although today’s was lower than yesterday’s. Eager to be back down to where I was last week. Stress has been rough this week, so trying to manage the kids better and work on stress responses… fighting a knee jerk sugar craving all week long. It’s better during the day, but is hardest at night. I never used to snack after dinner, but in the last 2 years it’s become a temptation I fight a lot.

Anyway…
    Today:
    Calories: 868
    Carbs: 25

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Tabletalk, I shouldn’t go looking at my figures for inspiration! My carbs are usually quite high and I didn’t do so well on the calories yesterday, in part because I had two nibbles off a new packet of cheddar cheese before grating some for omelettes. One – and half the size – would have been more sensible. Better still, a pinch from my grated portion. Arthurconandoyle, I need to get up to your number of steps. I went out for an hour’s walk with the dogs yesterday. I really enjoyed it, but it was no distance in comparison with your step count.

I’ve decided to regard today as the last day of the month for dieting, not the last day of the month for my weigh-in. Talk about cheating! At least it’ll give me a spur to see if I can still make 83.5 tomorrow morning. Still very unlikely but you never know. Crossed fingers I don’t go up. If I manage to get through my work before it gets too late, the dogs could be in for a longer walk this evening.

Figures for today:
    83.8kg
    -0.1 kg
    Overall change -4.7 kg
    899 cals
    37 net carbs

How are you doing, strawbs?

• posted by mental4ever
    on

Hi All. Weighed this morning and have managed to get off the 1lb I put on over the weekend. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„.

Thanks for all the information on suitable veggies for spiralising and will be looking into them and info on YouTube. I have also been looking at some of the recipes on BBC Good Food website as you can nominate the main ingredient you are going to use. Like a lot of you here myself and OH have discovered the benefits of corgetts and I make sure that I have some available at all times.

Will probably not have good results on my Monday weighin as off for a meal with friends for their 45th wedding anniversary tonight and with my own daughter and son-in-law on Sunday for their 1st wedding anniversary. Will have to be extra good from Monday to next Friday as don’t want these little glitches to knock me off the diet wagon.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Mental4ever well done! Snoop, you’re so close! It’s good to have a little motivation towards a smaller goal. Hope you see 83.5, but if not you’ll still be there in no time.

Hoping I’ll lose this weekend.

This morning’s weight:
    -2lbs
    Still not back at mid vacation weight of 162. Trying to go for it as hard as I can.

Will be working on getting some fresh recipes this weekend, and exercising more. Have only been for one walk this week.

Have a good Friday everyone!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’ve just had a re-read of the early pages of this thread. Sad to see so many names that don’t crop up any more. Maybe they’re posting on other threads and I just haven’t spotted them. Hope so. One thing I did come across is Verano’s recipe for courgetti with tomato, anchovy and caper sauce. Now that will definitely appeal to OH. He’s supposedly not dieting yet (starting end of next week) but he’s already losing weight simply because I’m not cooking the usual carbs, though he’s still having bread and wine with meals. I’m going to be green with envy when he gets going for real.

Tabletalk, you’ll have hit your 162 pounds by the time I get back from the wedding, and I for sure will no longer be anywhere near 83.5, even assuming I make it. But never mind. My next aim will be to get into the 70s by the end of October. At that point, I’ll be in nigh-on uncharted territory. I have no idea when I last weighed anything starting with a 7.

• posted by pgates
    on

Hello everyone! just starting today and thrilled to see a group to make the journey with. Took a 2 day prep time while reading the book. Have myfitnesspal and pacer pedometer apps on phone. 4700 steps starting point from yesterday. Let’s do this!

• posted by pgates
    on

A successful first day. 827 calories, 56 carbs. 6470 steps. Need to work on getting more water in. Have weight loss shakes and plenty of salad veggies as back up when pressed for time. Some hunger, but overall feel good.Reading the threads interesting and inspiring.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Snoop, you’ve been losing steadily! I’m sure you’ll do fine, and even a setback you’ve figured out how to bounce back from. Hope you enjoy the wedding festivities : )

I agree it’s sad to be missing some folks from the start of the thread. If you’re out there, friends, and want to jump in again we’d love to have you!

Welcome pgates! Glad you’re off with a bang! I’m interested in your shakes…what have you found? A backup plan would be nice. The cabinets get bare fast around here, and I sometimes realize I’m existing only on eggs and greek yogurt…and nibbles of my kids bread : / or, heavens, I dug a few of the raisins out of the raisin bran today…who’s carb addicted?
    Today:
    582 calories
    42 net carbs

Went to a ladies’ meeting at church tonight with loads of desserts spread out. Made it through with only a bite of snack mix! ๐Ÿ˜€ So grateful they put it all away by the time my resolve had weakened towards the end of the meeting! Saved from sabotage!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Lummy, Tabletalk, you had a very low-calorie day. I’d have found it very hard to resist all the goodies at the church, having eaten so little. Well done, you.

Hello pgates. Good to have you join us.

Well, I didn’t make 83.5, but never mind. It’ll happen some time this month for sure! Keeping this inspirational thread in mind will keep me at it:

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/5-stone-loss-in-4-12-months/

Figures for today:
    83.7 kg
    -0.1 kg
    Overall change -4.8 kg
    790 cals
    58 net carbs

Verano’s suggestion of courgetti with anchovies, capers and tomato went down a treat. And very few calories considering the flavour punch. OH loved it. So we’ll be having that again. Thanks, Verano if you read this. So few calories, in fact, that I had 50 ml of red wine to go with it. Disgraceful, I know, so I thought I’d better own up!

• posted by Dorybach
    on

Hi all, I don’t post often but saw someone comment yesterday about many people appearing to be missing. I’m still here, still sticking with it. Always do 10000 steps minimum, keeping my carbs under 50g. So far I have shed 16lbs and am feeling great. Well done to all who are keeping on track and good luck to all that fall off occasionally.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Snoop

Glad the ‘puttanesca’ went down well!

To make life really simple I make a batch of tomato sauce and freeze:
    4 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes, cherry are nicer if you can get them
    2 large chopped onions
    1 grated carrot
    Garlic, 3 cloves or as much as you like
    1 large sliced green pepper
    1 large sliced red pepper
    2 bay leaves
    Salt and pepper and 1tsp sugar

Put some olive oil (2tbs) in a pan, sweat down onions, add Garlic, chopped, then the rest of the ingredients except sugar.bring to a bubble and then turn light to the lowest setting and cook for about 1-1/12 hours until some of the liquid has evaporated . Add sugar if needed. Remove bay leaves. Blitz.

This makes 16 good portions , 57calories and 8.6 carbs a portion. Freezes really well!

I add the anchovies, capers and sometimes sliced black olives to the sauce when I’m reheating it. Add the courgetti and hey presto ! a meal in minutes!

• posted by Verano
    on

P.S. Snoop great weight loss!!!! Well done !

• posted by pgates
    on

Good morning/afternoon. It’s 6 am here. Tabletalk, The shakes I use is “Idealshape” 100 cal 11 carbs 5g fiber per serving. I blend vanilla shake powder with frozen strawberries, and unsweetened almond milk and keep in freezer. Then just microwave a bit when want. Makes great smoothy for about 200 calories.

• posted by pgates
    on

Day 2. Carb cravings today. Tried to keep busy. It takes considerable effort to get. More than 6000 steps with my size and arthritis. Goal to be doing 10,000 before 8 weeks is up. 6446 steps today.
    Cal 868. Carbs 56
    Going to try hard to stay under 800 tomarrow. Hope to try out more of the recipes. Made a homemade taco salad for lunch with lots of veggies in it, (no shell). Really enjoyed that.

• posted by Tabletalk
    on

Thanks for the shake/smoothie idea pgates, I’m always excited for something new. Carb cravings are tough! Hang in there… sounds like you’re doing well. Mine gradually decrease over days to a week. They come back with a vengeance if I indulge. Water helps a ton…and like you said, distraction! Two days under your belt! Great start!!

Today: 749 Cal’s
    56 carbs
    Weight the same this morning

• posted by Snoop
    on

Well, I had a disastrous day yesterday. No exercise but lots of mad rushing about and unplanned food eaten in a terrible hurry. No idea how many calories.A seriously bad day, as shown by my weight this morning: 84.4 kg. Scary how much can go wrong in one day!
    Anyway, I’ll be back on Saturday, an honest woman and a bit heavier. But I’ll be back on the bandwagon immediately.
    Good luck everyone.

• posted by bloke41
    on

Week 5 done and dusted, went for long walk along east ballina beach with wifey and the pooch 6 this morning, while watching the whales jumping about, pretty awesome for a labour day long weekend. Weigh in result 147.4 kg, waist 146cm, 1.2 kg loss for the week. Start weight 159.9, waist 158cm. Total weight loss to date 12.5kg. Great recipe verano will have to try the sauce freezing thng. Have a great week all. Keep it up!

Please log in or register to post a reply.