Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

I am starting my 8 weeks Monday 29th August. Have a long way to go

Is anyone else reading this and looking to start at same time ?

if so perhaps we can all ‘buddy up’ here and help each other along by posting here as we go.

Provide help, support, someone to listen to, share our success etc etc

Please do join and lets make it happen

on

Have sorted shopping list for next week !!

• posted by Karen19
    on

Yeah I’m doing the same although not sure if doing the 800 or the 5:2. I already exercise and don’t think I will have energy to do so on 800 calories so wondering about doing the 800 on days I don’t exercise. Good luck !

on

Hi Karen

I exercise already too.

I swim 3-4 times a week for 30 mins or more, but don’t feel its doing good and I am told by my GP Ill never lose weight by swimming’ so looking to do the fast exercise with this plan.

I am doing the 800 and I have NO disciple and will go ‘off piste’ badly with the 5 ‘off ‘ days.

But fingers crossed for you

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just to say, Karen, you might give the 800 a try. For many people energy levels go up, not down – your body changes to get its energy not from refined carbs (with resulting bs spikes) but from fat.

So I would give the 800 a try – you should commit to say a week to give your body a chance to kick the carbs – and you may find that your energy levels increase! Mine certainly did!

Hope that helps!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi 54 a group of us are starting a new 8 weeks on the thread 2nd 8 weeks starting Tuesday August 30th.

We’re a group of some on the second set of 8 and some newbies too. Come and join us if you fancy company.

• posted by Karen19
    on

Thanks you’ve encouraged me I’m going to give it a go x

on

Great you are having a go Karen

I’m ready and have a final shop to do. Have sorted trips to gym and have found mindfulness tape. no excuses now,

• posted by GemGem
    on

Hi Karen, I’m one week ahead of you (started last Sunday 21st Aug). I’ve officially lost 5.4kg (11.4 lb) in seven days! The first week’s loss is quite incredible. Everyone says it slows after the first week but what a lovely kick off!!

Here’s my two cents for you: Two things I learned the hard way I didn’t do in Week One but if I could go back in time I would, are:

1. Plan ahead what you will make
    2. Have some meals Already prepared so you don’t have to cook when you’re ravenously hungry! This is particularly for Day 2 and 3 when I was soooo hungry.

The hunger subsides after Day 3 – by Day 4 I was fine! But there’s nothing worse than being super ravenously hungry, wanting to eat a horse Now, but having to slowly measure out and count up calories and figure out what you can have right now 🙂 🙂

The other thing I did do which worked really well for me is keep a very very detailed food diary for each meal, including measurements an calorie count for each ingredient. MyFitnessPal website and App has a Food Search function which is invaluable for telling you how many calories in everything. I didn’t record mine in the App thought, I’ve gone for the writing-it-down option.

Good luck starting off and read this forum it is absolutley fantastic there are some inspirational people on here who’ve done so so well and offer their advice and support! 🙂

• posted by Dorybach
    on

Hi Karen,
    I am also starting tomorrow (29th) and would love to buddy up. I have done the 5:2 for a while which worked for me but then I got lazy and fell off the wagon so thought I would give this a go to kick start me before returning to 5:2.

• posted by eagerhaggis
    on

Hi

I am starting on Tuesday when I return to work after a week’s holiday. I think with the support from this group and also the FB group we will all succeed. Good luck to you.

• posted by Healthy Again
    on

Hey count me in! Have ‘dabbled’ with this diet for a couple of months. Hard core when working dark to dark; time consuming to prep. Now ready to do it properly. Love the flavours and foods on this. Will keep you posted. Today weigh 130kg, 5ft 10″, bs 15.

• posted by Sandrea1981
    on

Hi Karen, I will join you. I am restarting after taking a week off to go on holiday. I am very active, exercising for 45+ minutes 4 or 5 times per week. I was fine on 800 calories. Drink lots of water, make sure your meals are filling and you will be fine. Seeing the results will keep you on track.

• posted by Ren65
    on

Hi I am also starting my 8 weeks from tomorrow! Getting everything ready for the big day! Have been on it before but became too confident and fell off the wagon in the middle of week 5! Ready to start again and actually finish the 8 weeks on the 800 calls! I know from past experience how much better I felt and want to get back to it! Hope you are all taking your measurements as this is an even better guide to fat loss than weight! Hope we can spur each other on!x

• posted by twinklyt
    on

Go for it! We’re week 4 in, and following the menu in the book.
    The recipes (in the main) are delicious.
    You have to shop ahead, and have weighing scales/ tablspn measurinng spoon on hand all the time!
    But dare I say Im actually enjoying it

Have family from NZ visiting shortly so that may slightly affect things – but know that even if it does – we’ll be back on track in no time.

So I may be joining in your thread on a relatively even footing at the end of September!

Good luck… and enjoy your journey!

• posted by bloke41
    on

Gday all,

We have started our 8 week journey today. My mother-in-law stumbled onto the book while serving a customer at the library, asking to renew a loan on a book, Having taken insulin for last couple of decades and with the threat of losing her eye sight, she decided to have a crack on the bsd. And omg, half way through, she no longer needs insulin. My wife was talking to me about it, and as you do was curious what all the fuss was about. Doing a google search on the book l realised l had watched a documentary on the author about doing fast burst exercises. It got the better of me and ended up getting the bsd book. Read it all last week, we did the big shop yesterday and here we are day 1. My wife is a type two diabetic who is on the verge of having to go on insulin. Im a morbidly obese 42 year old husband who has yoyo dieted all of my life, losing all my excess weight several times during the years and always putting it all back on and some more. Day 1 stats, weigh in 159.9kg waist 158cm. Goal 99kg. Felt very hungry around 7:00 pm, a ginger/lemon grass tea helped a little to stop the cravings and a you tube clip l watched few days back about doctor oz explaining the feeling you get when you think that your body is craving food or hunger pains, is actually your metabolism working hard burning your fat, that one thought helped me tonight. Good luck to everyone on their journey .

• posted by Karen19
    on

Thanks for your post – yeah happy to buddy up. Not sure how this works think there was a buddy system somewhere. would be nice to have some support x

• posted by Karen19
    on

Interesting that you still exercise ok – very encouraging. I do 2 x session weights and cycle 75 miles (with hills) a week so am interested in how it goes, thanks for your reply x

• posted by Healthy Again
    on

Hi bloke 41. It sounds like my husband’s and my stats are parallel with those of you and your wife. I know we can achieve this with your wife and I reversing our T2 (my husband doesn’t have it). Hope you enjoy the food. Let us know.

• posted by Puhutakawa
    on

Hi, my name is Julia and thanks for starting the group, and yes, happy to join in with my friend, we both start our diet tomorrow, however I had a day 0. today fasting – just taking in water and running 6.25 km.
    I have been dieting all my life. From being an obese teenager (cca. 100 kg/176 cm) I have lost all my excess weight in 6 months (to 65 kg), but with some ups and downs over the past 10 years, all has crept back up (especially during the past, very stressful 2.5 years).
    I’m no longer happy with my life and when I look into the mirror, I don’t recognize myself anymore. Besides the aesthetics (which are very important for a single, 30 year old woman), I’m growing more concerned about the long term health implications of carrying excess weight, given my family history of diabetes and morbid obesity. I have been dieting more intensively in the past 2.5 years, but caught myself dieting to fatness, as one cheat-day became 2 or 3, then came the guilt and self-loathing, drastic cutback on calorie intake and daily aerob exercises, until became overconfident or felt lonely and lost control completely.
    So here I am, once again, still believing I can break the vicious circle and kick-start a happier life and happier self with the 800 BSD.
    Good luck for all of us!!! IT’S ON!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Puhutakawa

This isn’t a ‘diet’ it’s a new way of eating which will revolutionise your life!

May take a week or so to get into it properly as you could have ‘hunger’ in the first week but after that you will just start feeling better and better.

Yes you could ‘cheat’ but you have to persevere . Once you ditch the high carb foods such as bread , potatoes and rice you will soon start to feel like a new person and any low feelings will start to recede.

Good luck!

• posted by Sarahj54
    on

Hi
    I’m starting tomorrow. Also 54, and really need to get life back on track. Feel like there’s a long way go but going to embrace it all! Lists made, shopping done, here goes.

on

Hi Sarah

Yes me too, lists made, food in fridge, tape measure ready… long way to go for me too so heres good luck to both of us.

on

Gem Gem

Great advice thanks, thanks for your post

Will remember to plan. I am a write it down person also,

Dory Back, Healthy again , sandrea

Great to have you on board , we can do this

on

Hi Ren65

Thanks for joining us,

would be great to get your advice on how to ‘survive’ week 5 !!

on

Thanks Twinklyt

Good to see you made it week 4 and beyond. Encouragement for us all I think !

on

Hi Bloke 41

Good to see you on here with us. I’m the same loads of weight to lose… full starting stats revealed tomorrow day 1 !!!

on

Puhutakawa

Great to have you n board with us

on

Good luck all other new starters for tomorrow.

Think ill post weight every day and hope it will encourage me

I am going to try and stick to the menus for first 4 weeks and see how it goes.

I may then switch to own 800 cal options

Good luck again

• posted by Lucy
    on

Morning everyone!
    Please count me in. I am 53 and I managed to lose a substantial amount of weight earlier this year doing the eight weeks. While I have kept the weight off so far, my doctor thinks I should keep going until I reach the correct bmi.
    I would love to have back up this time, as I feel I am in danger of becoming complacent because this time it is his idea, and not mine. Good luck to you all.

• posted by Autumn Rain
    on

Yes, I’ll join and start my 8 weeks tomorrow too. I’ve been doing the 5:2 low carb Mediterranean diet for almost 8 wks. I have lost 20 lbs (~9 kg) and 2 dress sizes, but I have hit a plateau and need a push especially with getting my bs levels back down so that I can continue to stay off my meds and/or insulin. Best of luck to all of us.

on

ok here we go

Scales polished off

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

WAIST SIZE: 57 inches

Gosh !!!

(not been on scales for months !!)

Good luck every one

• posted by Dorybach
    on

I’m in. I have weighed and measured and I have had poached egg and avocado for breakfast. Watched Fixing Dad last night as a bit of added incentive. If you haven’t seen it then I highly recommend that you do. I have also decided to give up tea (don’t drink coffee) so might be making this doubly hard for myself. I am a teacher and the 8 weeks will take me to the end of October half term so I can already see the finish line for the 8 weeks and know that (normally) it will be here in no time.
    Good luck everyone!

• posted by Antigone
    on

Can I join in please?
    I have just completed 4 weeks and lost one stone 🙂 I had a fall (horse riding) in week 3 which curtailed my activity so I feel like I’m starting over!
    Good luck everyone 🙂

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

Hi everyone.

This is my first ever post in any forum so forgive me if I’m not as slick as some! I usually do things in groups and have never attempted to go solo, so hoping my ‘group’ will be in this forum.

I heard Michael on Radio 2 last week and so much of what he said made complete sense to me. I am 52 and have about 20 lbs to loose. I know it’s not a huge amount, but as most people know, weight-gain is a slippery slope, especially in middle-age, so hoping to nip it in the bud now. I am not pre-diabetic (at least I don’t think I am), but just fed up trying god knows how many different diets, to no effect. I play tennis, ride my bike, walk and do gardening, so exercise is not a problem. My OH is Type 1 Diabetic, and as I am chief cook and bottle-washer in our house, I do have a pretty good knowledge of diabetes, blood sugars etc. He is about 2 stone overweight these days, but is in denial. I’m hoping that by embarking on this ‘lifestyle choice’ (not diet) some of it will rub off on him. I will give him the book, but to be honest there are some parts of it which are very scary for him, as his diabetes is not life-style induced and there is nothing he can do to reverse or improve it (in my opinion the two types should have completely different names, to avoid confusion). However, he could certainly benefit from the weight-loss.

So, I did the shopping on Saturday and started yesterday. I’m going on holiday in 3 weeks, so hoping to see some loss before then. I’ll do my best on holiday but that will be hard – easier if I’ve lost half a stone by then, to give me some motivation to be good!

Made the skinny chilli last night with cauli-rice. OH even enjoyed it. Think I maybe ate more than 1/8 of it, but it’s hard to measure exactly. Just had the apple, mango and hazelnut yoghurt for breakfast. I often have fruit and yoghurt but would usually add honey and oats. Found that I didn’t miss either. It was delicious – and sweet.

Feeling optimistic……………

• posted by Minnie48
    on

Hallo eternally optimistic. I like you have 20 lbs to lose but am quite a bit older and not nearly so active.
    I started a few days ago and have not progressed very far due to eating out and a bit of falling off the wagon but am back in track now so will join you in weight loss journey. I will probably be a bit slower than you but the tortoise still finished the race so that’s what I am banking on.
    I too am going on holiday in September and also would like to be half a stone lighter so let’s enjoy the journey together.
    Minnie

• posted by Minnie48
    on

Count me in. The more the merrier.

• posted by Piper
    on

Good Morning – can I join you all as this is my Day 1. I have been on and off a diet for most of my life – now aged 64. Need to loose 3 stone so that I can enjoy better health and improve my arthritis……fingers x.
    Love reading all your blogs it certainly does help knowing there are others doing this journey too.
    Just about to start doing my menus for the week – this morning had glass of warm water with lemon and scrambled egg with tomato and chives really enjoyed it……hope everyone has a great week and happy Bank Holiday x.

on

Hi Minnie and Piper. Does anyone know the effects of tea??? I’m an addict and there is no way I can do without at least 4-6 cups a day. I sometimes drink decaff coffee but will be ok with giving that up as it’s got too much milk in. But does a wee splosh of milk in my tea make all that much difference?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi eternally optimistic
    I drink a lot less tea that I used to (heat and soooo much water now) and don’ have a lot of milk in it anyway, but for the first eight weeks I just worked out how much milk I consumed in tea on an average day, and logged that quantity for carbs and calories every day.

I couldn’t be bothered to count the number of cups, how much of each I actually drank….

• posted by Minnie48
    on

Hi eternally optimistic and piper. I have tea with a little semi skimmed milk and I counted 20 or 30 cals depending on how big a splash at first but don’t bother now.
    I used to drink a lot, about 7 or so cups a day but I have cut that down to 3 to 4 and added water to drink instead.
    I have a a friend who has tea with a splash of milk, doesn’t count it and still loses weight so I don’t think it is too important in the long run. I am only started counting it to see how it affected the 800.
    Hope that helps and nice to hear from you.

on

Thanks Frog. Brilliant idea. I’ll measure it out in a jug and see what I get through. Will probably be more than I thought. Does anyone have a good site/app for quickly counting carbs/calories?

• posted by Puhutakawa
    on

Thanks Verano for your kind, encouriging words!

I have been on the slow-carb diet of Tim Ferriss (4-hour body) which also builds on similar principles, so i have already cut carbs like bread, rice, sweets etc, however, it has a cheat-day once a week to spike blood-sugar which is supposed to invigorate your metabolism. It worked well for me, lost 12 kgs, but since then stress and loneliness crept up on me so the weekly cheatday became 2 or 3 days of unlimited splurge… Then all the weight piled back in with some extra on top… 🙁
    Im used to self-restriction, can go on a juice fast for a week even when travelling internationally on the job.
    Im trusting in the power of a group to fight feelings of loneliness and futility when the going gets tough, and to take me further towards my goal this time.

Day 0. Fasting (only water + 6.25 km run) completed.
    Now onto day 1, started with 6 km run, 10 mins yoga and 20 mins mindfulness which i find fundamental in controling physical and emotional hunger.
    Next up is preparing gazpacho (only veggies and spices without bread) to last the next few days so i dont have to think about what to eat. 🙂

Starting stats:
    Weight: 94.1 kg
    Waist: 110 cm
    BMI: 30.02

On we go!!

• posted by Piper
    on

Thanks Minnie – can see you had a few replies regarding to your cuppa – I tend to drink mine black so don’t have a problem with milk, though like a splash of milk in my coffee…….I am trying to drink more water than hot drinks, though I have always tended to have about 8 glasses of water a day. Be in touch soon x

• posted by Puhutakawa
    on

I found My diet coach pretty handy so far, even if the graphics are targeting teenage girls, it still helps a lot in tracking daily calories, exercizes in kcal, measurement tracker and before-after photo organizer.
    Here is the link for iOS: My Diet Coach – Motivating weight loss for women, smart diet tracker & calorie counter – FREE by InspiredApps
    https://appsto.re/gb/hcb7G.i

• posted by Verano
    on

My Fitness Pal seems to be used by quite a lot of people. I use Fatsecret uk suits me. Guess you should just go with format you like most .

• posted by ElCee
    on

Hi, I’m starting today. I followed BSD for 2 weeks in July and it was surprisingly easy and the meals were tasty, but then holidays and life got in the way so I’m back at it. I use MFP to log what I eat and I’m hoping to get into better eating habits by following this.

• posted by Cassandra021
    on

Hope you don’t mind me joining, I started last Monday so this is the first day of my second week. I even managed to cut my coffee habit down from 6 cups a day to 1, just to save the calories! I had a dull headache for 3 days but otherwise, no light headedness and more importantly, almost never hungry. So excited to have lost 6 lbs in my first week and 2 inches off my waist. Good luck anyone in week 1, push through to day 4 and it will be plain sailing

on

Well done Cassandra021 that’s amazing in one week.

I have now measured out 200ml of milk to use in my tea and added 100 calories to the daily count. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before.

Now sitting with a large bowl of Prawn Pho. I just can’t believe how tasty the recipes are. This is my 2nd really good meal from the book today. I don’t normally ‘do’ breakfast, but with an almost empty nest I seem to have more time, so enjoying preparing the food.

I highly recommend the Pho – it’s so good.

Please log in or register to post a reply.