Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Verano
    I’ve had a bit of a play with fatsecret – it looks a lot better than MFP – I think that I’m going to switch over
    Also, I hadn’t realised that there’s a UK and a US site – my sign up a few years ago was on the US site, but I can log in to the UK one too.

• posted by Frog
    on

Doing it that way worked well for me EO – if it’s not the right amount you’ll soon notice!
    Don’t forget to estimate any drinks away from home too.
    I work as an interim, so have phases of working then take a break – when I start a new assignment I always forget to switch to smaller bottles of milk (until I’ve made a cup of tea and have globs of yogurty milk plop into it from the bottle).

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

I like it mainly because of the options you have for various weights and measures. I found MFP too difficult. Just couldn’t get to grips with it.

Try it and see. It’s also great for checking out the recipes in the book. Just pop the ingredients into the cook book and out come the carb and calories etc

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Verano
    it’s a million times easier to use – I’ve entered today’s food, and a haven’t found anything like the wild variations that I do in MFP.
    Great to know its all UK nutrition data, so don’t need to worry about net or total carbs – and as you say, tons easier to find the item and enter the quantity in the measure you want to use, rather find the item, then realise the one you’ve chosen is only in the dreaded “cups”

Today I had cheese and tomato for breakfast (odd I know, but deliciously runny cheese, and I’d forgotten to put it back in the fridge last night
    Lunch was steak with courgette, spinach and carrot
    – feeling quite full!

• posted by ewalk
    on

Hello! I have just started today, back from my holidays and all is going ok so far ha! Planning on following the 4 week menu plan and see where I am in 4 weeks. Also about to check out fatsecret as the “cups” measurement on mfp drives me nuts too!

Worried about my weekend night shifts coming up…. thats usually a sugar and carb field day!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Frog

Don’t know if you are using the app or the PC version but they are slightly different. In ‘Diet Calender’ in the app version you can see you daily average calories each month BUT in the pc version you can also get the average daily number of carbs each month!!!! That should give you something to pay around with !!!!

• posted by Ren65
    on

How’s everyone getting on that started today? Apart from bit of a headache I’m doing fine, drinking plenty of water to help! I have finished eating for today so my count is 700 cals, 51.8 carbs and over 12,000 steps. Had a few week moments but stuck it out as I know I can do this!

My starting stats
    Weight 12.12 1/4
    Waist 38 1/2
    BMI 34

• posted by Antigone
    on

Well that’s one day done – everyone behaving? I’ve been struggling with MFP a bit too – it’s not easy to submit recipes etc. Will have a look at FS – thanks for the tip πŸ™‚

• posted by Dorybach
    on

Well done Ren65 πŸ˜€. I have also finished eating for the day. Total calories 739, total carbs 47g, total water 3 litres. I have been fine today and really enjoyed my meals. Hope everyone else has had a good day!

• posted by Dorybach
    on

I’ve been using MFP for several years and don’t have an issue with it so will stick to that. Each to their own.

• posted by Karen19
    on

Well day one over! 850 calories gallons of water and a weak moment in the middle of the afternoon that got me busy doing the housework!! Roll on day two well done all x

• posted by PatFraser
    on

Good Luck!! I got first weigh in tom – what sort of things have you put on shopping list? ‘

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Verano
    I’m using the PC version – but may get the app as well at some point.
    I played around with entering a new food this afternoon (the divine epoisses cheese!) I’d just used an existing entry for brie at first, as it’s a similar type of cheese, but it turned out to have slightly different values. – and I liked the feature where you could browse recipes that others had uploaded, and save them to your own ‘cookery book’ to try later.

• posted by Autumn Rain
    on

Great job everyone! Your progress and especially number of steps have encouraged me to get a walk in this evening. I did 895 cals, 15 g carbs, 8,500 steps for day 1 today. Looking forward to staying under 800 cals tomorrow and moving forward with more steps this week.

• posted by Shaboom
    on

I am also 54 and determined to be “fat NO MORE!” I kind’ve started Sunday, but officially on Monday. I am pleasantly surprised that I am satisfied on this diet, not having constant cravings. It is still a day to day struggle not to indulge – but know all the little treats is what has put me where I’m at – Sugar can go to the Devil as far as I’m concerned ! I’m kinda sticking to the recipes in the book this first week or two, but glad there is a recipe section on here – just not sure which recipes are allowed on the 800 plan. I did make the cauliflower rice with the vegetable curry – it was just fabulous!! I want to try the Pho soup, but haven’t found the packets to make it in stores. Luckily there is a new Pho restaurant that opened not far away, may try it out this week. I find that a hot cup of water with 1/2 lemon every morning really helps me.

My starting wgt: 270 (5’8″)

• posted by Cloudynibbles
    on

Hi everyone, sounds like you are all starting out really well! I am hoping to start in 2 weeks time, after speaking to the Dr and actually getting the book delivered πŸ™‚
    Every ones enthusiasm is awesome! πŸ™‚

• posted by Antigone
    on

Day 2.
    How did you do yesterday 54?
    I was tired yesterday but didn’t cheat – not sure I have the energy to increase activity levels but we’ll see……early days πŸ™‚

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

ok Day 1 over

AFTER DAY 1

WEIGHT NOW: 21 Stone 9 pounds

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 1: 3 Pounds !!

GOSH 3 pounds already

Yes been back on scales and still same !!!

so mini win !! Yes I know its mainly water, yes long way to go. but still very encouraging

(a three week loss on weightwatchers !!)

Enjoyed the food, did a long walk, mowed the lawn (much to everyones surprise)

Fingers crossed for day 2 !

Good luck all
    Good luck every one

on

I think reading all these posts is a great encouragement for me]

Thanks to everyone

• posted by Antigone
    on

Well done 54!

on

Hi Antigone

The answer is surprisingly well thanks.

No headache, not hungry, drank loads.

My son is dragging me to the gym tonight which will be a laugh !!

What gear should I wear as a 50+ year old ‘pounding’ the tread mill is my first thought !!

(Probably something sensible )

Keep on going

on

How did it go Karen ?

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi am starting today so hope you don’t mind me joining you all – have read through posts and feel inspired. 3 stone to lose and plan to up my exercise as well as doing 800 calories a day πŸ™‚

• posted by Cassandra021
    on

I had my first serious sugar craving yesterday (day 8 of the diet for me) after a very stressful incident, unfortunately it happened in the middle of tesco! Managed to stick to 1 square of lindt 70% dark choc, and by eating it “mindfully” (with difficulty) I found I was actually completely sated! under normal circumstances I would have eaten a take away and 2-3 deserts. The scales have stalled a little for me over the last few days but I am conscious it could be just stress, can’t believe I seem to be on the way to stopping stress eating, which is an even bigger win for me than weight loss. Best of luck everyone today

• posted by Puhutakawa
    on

Cassandra well done! Indeed changing your mind is changing your life! Thanks for sharing, it gives me strenght to fight when cortisol rises.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Also started Monday. My main concern is exercise – I do quite a bit and regularly burn over 1000 calories on a bike ride. Worried that I will fall over! If anybody else has this worry let me know. My cycling has not made a jot of difference to my weight – I did a London to Paris ride last year and no weight lost. Since then I have only continued gaining weight and this cannot go on. SO. Here’s to 800 calories…

• posted by cojo
    on

Started yesterday and was so hungry before supper that I could not think enough to pick which recipe to try. Had a lovely meal of steamed salmon and vegetables ( peppers/tomatoes) and felt much better. I have cooked the bolognese sauce for supper this evening and cannot wait to try it. I thought that I would be discouraged and hungry today but I feel great and I am still excited to try this.

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

Hi Chookymama. I also cycle but not as much as you! Last year I did a big two day event and trained for it all summer. I lost maybe 3 or 4 lbs but that was it! I convinced myself that I was turning fat into muscle which apparently weighs more. Some of the ladies I cycle with lost weight without intending to. I don’t track calories on my bike, but I do track hours in the saddle and distances. Now that I’m not training for anything, I try to get out at least once a week and do around 30-35 miles, and I also play tennis 3 or 4 times a week. I’ve done this for years and still put on weight. Hence I’m trying the 800 calories/low sugars for the next 3 weeks before I go on holiday. Really hoping this works as it all makes so much sense to me.

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Love the name eternally optimistic!

I think that I am just getting to desperation stage. I know that I am fit yet the weight keeps on coming! I too have friends that have started cycling and lost stones in weight! So unfair……However, I have to stick with this as I refuse to buy any clothes that are larger. I also saw my mother at the weekend and don’t want to end up that way!

• posted by eternallyoptimistic
    on

Yip, that’s what got to me too – do I go out and buy new trousers and jeans a size up, or do I try a bit harder to loose it? I’ve got one brand new pair that are wearable, but horribly tight. I keep them hanging at the front to motivate me to get (comfortably) into them before I go on holiday and not have anything hanging over the top!!!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi – if you stick to BSD you’ll be whizzing down thru sizes very quickly – don’t buy anything larger
    for inspiration, there’s a whole thread somewhere about “the jeans window”

• posted by Jooles
    on

Thanks Verano for recommending My Fat Secret UK … I had been using My Fitness Pal, but this is much better as it has UK brands!

• posted by Verano
    on

Suits me I just couldn’t come to terms with MFP. Glad your finding if easier to use!

• posted by Frog
    on

Lots easier isn’t it, Jooles!

• posted by denisesunny
    on

Hi, I have been lurking in the background for a while. Read the book, believe in Dr. Michael Mosely and ready to start tomorrow.
    Had an awful August with my mother-in-law on end of life care. It took a horrible 2 and a half weeks, funeral has now taken place. A friend has been staying for a week and just seen her off on the sleeper train. We live near Fort William (Scotland).
    So have a clearish schedule for 8 weeks and off I go. Reading posts from some early starters of this woe (particularly captainlynne) I’m hoping to really feel the benefits of this change in lifestyle and stick to it for a lot longer as I have too much weight to lose in 8 weeks.

on

hey denisesunny… welcome on board.

I too have loooooooaaads to ose and expect to be here for way over 8 weeks.

lots of inspirational stuff posted here which has been great for me to read and hop encourages you also.

I have stuck to the menus and not found anything I don’t like yet (mini bonus)

Good luck on your weigh in

on

Chookymama

I have been ‘exercising’ like mad for months. I swim 3-5 times a week and am going up not down

Dr finally tells me no good for weight loss but great for relaxing the mind if enjoy it !!

End of life care is not good to watch so I do feel for you, must be very trying and sad.

Years since ive been on a sleeper train , holiday to Cornwall long ago I believe !!

Please do keep chipping in here as I find the stories and tips very encouraging

on

I love a coffee and love milk in it

Mind you now down to 4 cups from 12 !!

and I too weigh out 50 ml each morning to have in it

• posted by Jooles
    on

Yep – Lovin’ it @frog … It’s great that I can even choose specific products … Makes life so much easier. I also like that it shows percentages of fat / carb / protein. I had thought I was being relatively low fat (not intentionally) yet on average I’m 40-50% each day on fats! Which I’m pretty happy with.

on

Hi Cojo

I am sticking to the menus and have no hunger pangs yet !!

I am having some 2-3 litres of fizzy water with lemon so this may be helping !!!

• posted by Autumn Rain
    on

Day 2: not the best in meeting my cal goal today. After already reaching my 800 cals, I snacked on watermelon & popcorn. But I’ll do my best tomorrow to keep the emotional eating out of the picture.
    Calories-956
    Carbs-40g
    Steps-8,000

• posted by Dorybach
    on

Went to bed without posting my day last night as I was pooped (busy day is all). So far, I haven’t felt hungry at all and have been experimenting with different menus which, so far, have all been good. So, Day 2 looked like this for me: total calories: 907, total carbs: 32. I have lost 1.8lbs so far and have also managed to stay off the tea. Early days I know but so far, so good πŸ˜€

• posted by Ren65
    on

Morning, I forgot to post last night as well but doing well apart from slight headache still, probably sugar withdrawal. Totals for day 2 cals 784, carbs 31.6, steps 12,000+. Not as hungry yesterday and I’m a daily weigher loss yesterday 3.5lb, today 5 3/4! Really pleased definitely holding a lot of water! Day 3 everyone we can do this!x

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jooles – there’s a keto something site that someone here has posted links to that let you work out personal targets of nutrients for weight loss (possibly igorasusual?)
    I did mine, and with calories of 800 and carbs of 50, fat came out at 45 and protein 50 – although to be honest I have it in my head as 50/50/50 for simplicity – but essentially, I focus on calories and carbs and let the rest fall out of that.

And of course although 50% fat is relatively high compared to standard RDIs, if you cut out the carbs, % of everything else increases – and the absolute fat intake is still not that high, because calories are so low.

I’ve had a bit of a plateau the last few days, but a kilo lower than the 88.4-88.6 that I’ve been hovering at for a while – 87.5 today.
    I must do lunch out with a glass of wine and low carb ice cream taster sessions in the evening more often!

on

ok Day 2 over

AFTER DAY 2

WEIGHT NOW: 21 Stone 7 pounds

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 2: 5 Pounds !!

GOSH 5 pounds already

Yes been back on scales and still same !!!

Couldn’t face day 3 morning breakfast so good old trusty hard boiled eggs for me !!

Done some more lawn so didn’t make it to the gym (booo!)

Had long bath with candles for ‘mindfulness’ thing .

Good luck today everyone

• posted by Alli W
    on

Just starting the 8 week plan TODAY. So terrified that I won’t succeed. Can I join please – just been reading all your posts and feeling more positive now. Mushrooms with goats cheese for breakfast – pretty nice. Worried about working through the hunger and the never ending lure of wine and G&T. 😰

• posted by Chookymama
    on

Alli W – once the weight starts to drop I am sure it will be worth it. However I had one eye shut when I got on the scales this morning – I hate the thought of getting on there and there being no difference or even worse that it has gone up – then I would be really vexed! I am losing weight although I am cautious as my weight can fluctuate wildly from day to day.

I was Day 2 yesterday and was hungry last night. The diet itself is not a massive change for me but the quantities are a joke! I looked at my teeny tiny amount of porridge this morning and wanted to weep! However – it will be worth it and am quite determined. Good luck!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Chookymama

Maybe you could try eggs or yogurt and berries for breakfast it will probably look far more in a bowl!

• posted by Alli W
    on

Chookymama – thank you πŸ™‚ Yes I think portion control has been the things that’s got out of hand for me – I just LOVE tasty food and certainly eat way too much of it. I just saw Verano’s reply to your post – I think they may be right. Tiny portions are so depressing. Although I have to say the mushrooms and goats cheese served on a smaller plate did actually look quite a lot – thankfully! Good luck too 😊

• posted by Verano
    on

Have you discovered courgetti yet?

I keep banging on about courgetti in a home made tomato sauce. Add, capers, olives, anchovies and Parmesan for a really tasty meal and very low carb/cal. Add any protein you like or just more Parmesan. Life savour when your hungry because it’s looks like so much food and it’s only maybe 1 large cougette!

Please log in or register to post a reply.