Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

I guess it serves 2 then. We had 180 today for me, the wife and our son.

Didn’t seem a lot to be honest. It was a small bowl full!

• posted by tigs
    on

Hi pcoventry. Great start!

Someone else asked this about MFP – I did a reset for daily 800 cals and percentages for macros under My Home/Goals/Your Fitness Goals on MFP and had no problem at all with the app since.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Thanks Tigs,

It showed it until today. I guess I will do a reset later on it – cheers for the tip 🙂

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My chia buckwheat porridge uses 20g of buckwheat flakes and 8g each of chia and a mix of ground linseed, almonds, Brazil nuts and walnuts. Add whatever you like for flavour, if made with water this makes quite a large bowl with around 12g of carbs. Use almond milk if you want it creamier, or stir some cream in. Will probably make some for tomorrow breakfast, and have with some berries and cinnamon, as I have bought a nice new porridge microwave lidded bowl that needs testing.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Grr – my mmol/l 2 hours after food is 7.7

Tested the wife’s – 4.8! And she used to pack away treble the sugar I did before I was diagnosed. Cow! lol

This says

If your blood sugar reading remained under 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) at the one hour test and all the later tests, you have completely normal blood sugar and can stop worrying about it.
    If your blood sugar did not reach 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L) an hour after taking a large dose of carbohydrates and if it was below 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/L) two hours after you ate the large dose of carbohydrate, most health authorities would also say that you are normal. These numbers, 140 mg/dl at 1 hour and 120 mg/dl at two hours after a meal are what Joslin Diabetes Clinic of Harvard Medical School defines as upward limit of “normal.”

You can see more data about what normal blood sugar levels look like here: What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

If your blood sugar is at the very top of this normal range, near 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L) and near 120 mg/dl at two hours, you may have a very slight amount of either beta cell dysfunction or insulin resistance going on. If you are at the high end of the normal range, especially if you are noticing that you are gaining weight more easily than you used to, it might be a good idea to cut back on the amount of carbohydrate you eat and begin an exercise program.

So I am right at the top of the scale, which is full on diabetes? I have always wondered where the limits were! I’ll try again tomorrow without the porridge! swap it for some eggs instead !

• posted by pcoventry
    on

But I also see this..
    A normal blood sugar level is up to 6 mmol/l (108 mg/dl) fasting, or up to 8.7 mmol/l (156 mg/dl) after a meal
    A marginally elevated blood sugar level may indicate prediabetes
    Above 7.0 mmol/l (126 mg/dl) fasting, or 12.2 (220) after a meal, indicates that you are diabetic

So at 7.7 2 hours after a meal – is this bad? I used to be 9.7 when I was first told I was diabetic – this was after a meal. But it’s dropped a hell of a lot!

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hello again

I’m continuing to read your posts with such interest – I’m learning so much.
    I’m another day closer to my Saturday start. Have my food shop list ready.

You are all going great guns, fantastic.

I’m looking forward to being healthier and being the proud owner of just one chin!! 🙂

Best wishes to all.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hey that’s good to know 🙂

My meter arrived today and I was in bed by 9:45pm last night so I am keen to see what my fasting level is – I reckon about 6, place your bets lol

• posted by pcoventry
    on

@MixandMatch – thanks for the tip about the porridge. I will make it with water when I fancy it – I have read up on Cinnamon and I aim to have a tablespoon a day in Pro Bi Yogurt or over porridge.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Good morning everyone. Your posts are so inspiring and supportive. I am learning so much which is helping me tremendously. I had my three week weigh in this morning. My loss this week was 1.1Kg ( 2lb 4 ounces ). My total loss over the three weeks was 5.3Kg ( 10lb 10 ounces ). And my fasting blood sugar was 5. So this diet is doing me the world of good. Today I begin my January challenge. All the best everyone. Keep the updates coming. I love to read them.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Can someone please have a look at this chart and tell me why I see it wrong?

https://s24.postimg.org/ljue85u5x/Screen_Shot_2017_01_03_at_21_20_56.png

If a normal person has a level from 4-5.9 before a meal, how can someone they say is diabetic also have a level of say 5.9 before a meal? Surely the normal person has diabetes too?

Personally my “2 hours after eating” level is 7.7 and they say 7.8 and under is normal. so am I normal OR type 2!?

SO confused, For it also says to be under 8.5 is also for diabetics. BUT if I am 7.7 and therefore in the “normal range” then I have no bloody idea which one I am lol

Is it as simple as, if I am between 6 and 7 before a meal and under 7.8 2 hours later I am T2D? and if I am say 5.9 before a meal and still 7.7 after I don’t have it? Also when I do the 1 hour test it will be higher but everything I read just says to do after 2 hours, where did the 1 hour come from?

Thanks!

• posted by Way of life
    on

Jo G – your post is inspiring too. Well done. 🙂

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Good Morning Jo G – and thats great to hear well done you 🙂

Keep us updated, as I am sure we will you!

Pete

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Edit from above – 3 hours after eating my level is now 6.7 so I am keen to see my fasting level

• posted by solange
    on

Well, after starting yesterday I am already minus 1 lb off my Christmas/New Year gain of 5 lbs. Hoorah! Have a long shopping list for today and must admit to feeling excited!!

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi Solange, that’s great news well done 🙂

Just did a test – my fasting blood is 7.2! HOW can it be 7.7 2 hours after – 6.7 3 hours after but 7.2 12 hours after!? is the metformin meant to keep it lower?

I am officially confused and now more determined than ever to bring that level down.

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Well it’s my birthday today and I cooked Pork and steak on the BBQ for the kids
    I had snapper on cauliflower rice with salad !
    Next year will be different when I can have more than 800 calories !
    Proud i didn’t cave in as it would be so easy
    30c lovely evening , cold beers in the fridge etc

It took massive willpower but i did it

Good luck

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Happy birthday GetyourCarbon. I’m glad you had a successful day. Well done!

• posted by Granny
    on

Well done getyourcarbonon! and happy birthday!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fasting blood being higher is due to something called the dawn effect, where the sugar dump comes overnight from the bodies stores. There has been quite a lot of discussion on it in Bill’s ‘this has to work for me’ thread. I seem to remember it was a good thing showing that visceral fat was going.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Get your carbon, Happy birthday!

Jo super loss..it’s always motivating to see those numbers go down. Good luck for next week.

Pcoventry, sunshine girl also has diabetes. You do a search on her posts…she’s very informative.

Well done to everyone who has lost and have a good day!

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Good morning everyone :o)

Well onto day 2 of the diet and I have already lost 1lb 2oz so that’s all good…!!!

Sleep was a little broken but I think a lot of that comes down to the no alcohol which will get better over time – I have wine every night so is a big change to not have any but have saved myself a lot of calories!

Lets do this day 2!

Rebecca xxx

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Rebecca
    I’m on day 2 as well. Decided I won’t weigh myself until a week. Yesterday went well. Hadn’t done the prep I’d hoped but made a quick tea with omelette and came in under 800 on food. Milk in tea will most likely make that up to 800. In a bit of a muddle about CARBS, fats, protein. Know to keep carb under 50g a day but not sure about other 2. Read that we are putting our body into ketosis which is what burns the fat-also the smelly Atkins Diet breath!!! This can be alleviated by reducing protein. Arrrgghhh!!!! Can’t be hungry, fat and smelly! I don’t remember it mentioning this in the book. Got any clue?? Best of luck for day 2! We can do this ! Mikki

• posted by aims
    on

Hi everyone, I’m Amy and I’m prepping today so I can start tomorrow proper.

For those who have started this week – how are you finding it?

I’d love to find some people at the same stage as me who I can keep chatting to – I think it will help in the hard times 🙈

• posted by Lizzibeth
    on

Morning everyone!

Well that’s me started day one, no looking back now! I’m not ready to give up my morning porridge but instead of buying those microwave flavoured packs which I used to love I’ve made it myself. 25g of wholegrain oats cooked in a pan with unsweetened almond milk and 10g almond butter on top. It’s so much nicer than the instant stuff and feels like a treat coz I took the time to cook it. And only 15g of carbs. (I’m only on 36g for the whole day so not worried about this).

Tigs – thanks for the tip about MFP 🙂 I didn’t realise I could set my target calories to 800 as it usually tells me off if I ever eat below 1000. I’ve also adjusted my targets for fat, carbs and protein and entered all of todays meals into it last night so I know exactly what I should be eating. As a severely addicted carb and sugar addict I know this might get tough but I’m hoping that being super organised will stop me going off track.

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

This morning I had basic 40g of oats with 100g of plain yoghurt and small amount of blueberries
    That kept me until lunch when I had home made celery and pea soup with garlic and some herbs in
    A small banana mid afternoon and then the small serving of BBQ grilled fish on caluflower rice and salad with small
    Amount of Feta.

800 calories and 3 litres of sparkling water !!

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Mixandmatch – thanks for the advice I will go read that thread if I can find it.

Thanks Angela, I will do that also 😉

This morning we’ve had 2 eggs right from the shell, and a small Pro bio yoghurt with blueberries and I had some cinnamon in mine. Lot of protein and just under 10G of carbs and 145Cals.

Which reminds me to do my blood sugars as it’s fast approaching 2 hours since, so thanks for reminding me 🙂

• posted by Moggot
    on

Day 3 for me, and thankfully the sweet cravings have gone, although I think I should change my username to I.P-Freely now.
    Not weight myself at all, as I don’t have any scales in the house but I can see some minor changes in my body shape.
    I’m in my early 40’s , 5’9 and last time I weight myself at the gym (Just before Xmas) I was sitting round 112kg. Never been able to get it below 109 even after 2 years at the gym. Although I have good base level of fitness carrying that kinda of weight makes it hard work and prone to injury.
    Guess I have to stop kidding myself that 5 x 30min of exercise is going to counter a poor diet.
    When I was in my 30’s I used to weight 69-72kg but this was due to me doing a lot of kickboxing (Including full contact fights), but since them Ive changed my focus, and worked on my career, moved from factory to IT and became deskbound, married + kids and its just crept up.
    I had health check up last year that showed my bloods to be 5.8 after fasting which though in normal range was bit high (Father has type 2) and my cholesterol was with the upper ranges of normal.
    Enough about me.
    I’ve managed to keep my carbs below 50, they seem to be hovering round the 20-30 mark and my cals a round the 800ish mark. My main aim is to get the weight down and restart the gym and don’t laugh Skateboarding. I started last year and really enjoy the challenge but because of my weight, I get to nervous to do anything other than roll round. So main goal is get myself below 100kg and slowing aim for 80-90kg as I am broad and when I was at my lowest weight, I didn’t look right or feel that good even though I was incredibly fit.
    I have amazing support from my wife as well. She is helping me by cooking my evening meal (Something she insists on doing) with in the BSD recommendations. Like last night Chicken stir fry with onion, pepper and some spices added to it. She had some as well as really enjoyed it.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi Moggot,

All sounds good mate, and if skateboarding floats your boat then you go for it!

I have borrowed my dads electric bike for a few weeks. I know that I can push myself and if I get really tired I can turn the power on. I did 24 miles last Saturday on it – and I got so tired on the way back that I did 18 miles on just it’s power alone – which was 15mph so slow and steady but I got back in one piece lol

Whatever works – works..

• posted by tonic
    on

Hi all hope everyone is doing well I have a quick question in the book the recipe for griddles chicken on white bean mash says it’s got 440 calories but when I put it in my Nutracheck last night it said that it was 554 alone for the cannelloni beans and that was for half a tin so my calories for the day was way over 1150 by the end of the day ,I didn’t think to check the calorie count on the beans individually.is my calorie checker wrong ??? Well I’m stearing well clear of that one and double checking recipes from now on .well today so far has been good did 2.2 miles today on treadmill and had 2 poached eggs this morning water doing well and my new best friend is the …..toilet lol well gotta go you all have a good productive day .

• posted by Rose88
    on

Hello everyone

I’m a complete newbie to low carbing and would love to join here to loose weight and improve my health.

I’ve had T2 diabetes for 16 years, pcos, irritable bowel syndrome and arthritis.

I’ve been a vegetarian all my life, no meat, eggs or fish but my food choices were always carb laden … Homemade cakes, biscuits, bread and potatoes.

I enjoy cooking from scratch as these days there’s too many foods that my digestive system doesn’t tolerate.

So I started low carbing yesterday and hope to pick up lots of tips and advice along the way.

Good luck everyone.

• posted by julygirl
    on

I am starting in January too.
    Feel a little bit apprehensive as a lot of the foods I do not like but am going to persevere and do this. I would ideally love to be free of my diabetes so here goes.
    Good luck all.

• posted by Moggot
    on

@pcoventry I used to cycle to my current work place as well, 3-4 times a week(10 miles each way).
    I have two routes, down the canal (ok for spring-summer) or the road. Even when cycling that distance my weight hardly changed.
    Once again, I think its down to diet and not my fitness levels.
    Although being a big fella, it is fun during the gym classes seeing much younger fitter looking people struggle to keep pace with me during classes.
    I’m not going to be doing any classes while on the 8wks BSD, as they can be intense, instead opting for 30 min walk at lunch then on Friday weather permitting, take my skateboard over to a local basketball court at lunch time for a 30 min skate.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

@tonic LOL!

My Metformin I took by mistake gave me bad diarrhea but I guess not as productive, thanks that made me really chuckle.

Moggot, I did no excercise last time in the 2 weeks I tested the diet and I lost 9ibs – so I would agree with you 🙂

• posted by Granny
    on

Can anybody help please? What are the calories etc for the cauliflower and chickpea curry recipe which is on the BSD site.

• posted by Kandefloss
    on

Hi everyone,
    I am a beginner and just started yesterday. I am insulin dependent type 2 diabetic and in October 2016 started a very low carb diet. Already seeing massive impact on my medication and lost 13kg so far. Starting the 8 weeks now as I want to kick start the weight loss again after Christmas. I have heart failure too so couple of extra challenges in there, but am determined. I want to lose 20kg, ideally by August as I am getting married!
    It will be tough but quite excited and looking forward to the support from this forum!
    x

• posted by pcoventry
    on

I’ve been quite active today. I’ve just nearly passed out fallen over and hit my head after going dizzy, so for now I am going to stop the diet, best of luck to you all and I am sure I will be back!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Sorry to hear that, a less stressful way to adapt your body to fat burning might be to just do the very basic version of the diet, not calorie counting, just avoiding the simple carbs for a while and then try again. You won’t lose as much weight, but the rest of the health benefits should still come. Best of luck.

• posted by Moggot
    on

Managed to weight myself for the first time tonight. I’m 18st 3/4 (blimey). Want to try get to 15st this year so least I have base line to work against.
    Had nice tea, 3 bacon medallions (Aldi) with scrambled eggs (2) plus lettuce, best guess overall Cal’s 310( unsure on eggs overall Cal’s after scrambling) which puts me tad over 800 Cal’s.

• posted by Noodles
    on

Moggot – well done for starting. There is no need to guess. Download the MyFittness Pal app and you can enter everything you eat. Each bacon medallion is 46 calories = 138 total and eggs are approx 70 each (140 for two) Lettuce would probably have been under 10 calories. I would say your total was about 288 so you weren’t far off. Good luck

• posted by Moggot
    on

I have been using my fitness Pal :), I just added few extra Cal’s to be on the safe side.

• posted by Lindarina
    on

Third day’s almost over and i’m starting to adjust to the low calories. I’ve done 5:2 in the past, so the feeling of hunger has been quite survivable. I did have to up my carbs a bit as I don’t do well on very low carb diets (previous experiences), but I’m not diabetic or have a family history of diabetes. My main goal for now is to lose weight.

Stepped on the scale today and discovered I’ve lost over 2 kg. I know it’s water weight, but it’s still motivating.
    Hoping everyone else is having a great experience so far.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Mixnmatch – thanks. I will still do the eating bit but I plan to add a few hundred calories to my day. So have even 1000-1200 would still lose me some weight I think.

And now I am used to not have many, no carbs! My levels were 7.2 again 2 hours after eating, so it seems to just be like that. But I plan to eat some cheese and milk before bed, to see if I can get rid of the dawn effect

• posted by Way of life
    on

That’s fantastic Lindarina. Great start!

pcoventry – keep going!

Well done everyone.

• posted by Linda NZ
    on

Not January, but I started on 28 December. Shopped for lots of ingredients i don’t normally use, including basics like cabbage and pickled beetroot (love pickles). I bought the Blood Sugar Diet and Recipe books and find them really helpful. I’ve had a look at the recipes on line as well and plan to make a couple in the next week or so.
    Had trouble the first couple of days with hunger pangs. Got fed up of drinking water to try and stop the rumblings! Persevered tho and my scales this morning say I’ve lost 2 kilo – absolutely thrilled. Only 13 more to go 🙂
    Big help that my husband has decided to cut out alcohol so I don’t get tempted to join him.
    Good luck everyone

• posted by LizV
    on

Tonic, I think your calorie checker is wrong. It should only be about 100 calories for 14 oz of cannellini beans. I don’t know if nutracheck is like other programs, but sometimes people put incorrect data into the program I use. (My fitness pal). Anyways, good luck! Hope you had another good day today.

• posted by Voyager
    on

Hi, I’m a newbie as well, living in the UK.. I already have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure and am morbidly obese. I downloaded the book onto my tablet in October to read while I was in hospital, but couldn’t start straight away as I was having a major operation. However, the delay has given my time to prepare; I cleared out my cupboards, freezer and fridge and given my daughter all the foods I shouldn’t eat. I’ve bought an exercise bike, weighed and measured myself and written up 4 week’s menu. I started on Monday (2nd January) – lost 4 lbs in the first 24 hours, and 1.5 lbs in the second 24 hours. I know the loss is mainly water, but it’s very encouraging. it’s now 23.19 so I’ve completed 3 full days (just about to go to bed). So far I haven’t felt hungry, and no headaches. I think this forum is a great idea, we can motivate each other once the novelty wears off, and share hints and tips about what’s working for us.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

Hi everyone. It’s great to hear all your news and views. All very encouraging. Welcome Rose88, Voyager, Kandefloss, julygirl and anyone else who has just started. I wish you all the best on your journey’s. pcpoventry so sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you get on top of it and can still work on getting your health and weight in order. Welcome Voyager. All the best for your operation and congratulations on your wonderful loss. I was a very bad girl yesterday and really ‘pigged out’. But today I’m fired up again to be the best I can be. I’m fastine until lunchtime to make up for my fall from grace. Only 45 minutes to go …

• posted by Lindarina
    on

Voyager: sounds like you’re off to a great start! Congrats on your weight loss.

• posted by Granny
    on

Great start voyager, soooo encouraging😊. Day 4 for me and as everyone says lots of water, weigh and record and stick to this forum for motivation, we can all do it 2017 is our year💪🏻!

Please log in or register to post a reply.