Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lindarina
    on

Hi, I’m so glad I found this forum. So many helpful tips and inspiring stories.

I stumbled over this book after reading an article, read it and prepared for the diet during the Holidays. Today was my first day and so far so good. I’ve been eating mostly vegetarian for a few years and will add more legumes to the diet than some of you, but will stick to 800 kcal a day.

Breakfast was a kale smoothie, lunch the plowman’s platter and dinner was homemade minestrone. Evening snack will be greek yoghurt with blueberries.

After a rather rough year, with my father diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s with me as his main caretaker, I know find myself overweight for the first time in my life. I’m also more out of shape than ever. My goal is to lose the weight, focus on healthy foods and start excercising again. On step at a time, though ๐Ÿ™‚

Linda

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am 50, but Captainlynne, our resident celebrity maintainer reported similar and is both older than me and lost her 100 plus pounds faster than me. Don’t borrow trouble and wait to see if it becomes a problem before worrying about it would be my advice ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Mad4
    on

evening all,
    day 2 here, going well so far.
    it feels really strange to be doing without bread, crackers and pasta but im finding ways around it.
    cooked a spag bol for the family tonight and i had mine with courgette noodles ๐Ÿ™‚ weird, but not unpleasant.
    then i took our dogs for a big walk whilst everyone else had pudding.
    i feel i have to be very cautious to not really say “diet” as i have a 6yr old daughter who watches my every move :/

echo the huge thanks to those sharing their top tips up thread, these are super helpful and shows how i can work it into my life so it feels like less of a massive challenge. Hope everyone else is going well so far. love the thought of boiled eggs = no dishes ๐Ÿ™‚ that is certainly something i can get behind.

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Thank you again Mixnmatch. Very sensible. I am soooo good at putting blocks in my path.

• posted by Cowpat
    on

Hi pcoventry (Pete) and Mixnmatch, thanks for the replies. According to the book prediabetic sugar levels are 5.6 to 7.0 so at 6.4 I fall into that group, that’s why I said too high. I’ll be able to keep an eye on it properly when the monitor arrives. I’ve just checked the skimmed milk again it says 4.9g carbs of which 4.9 are sugars. Full fat isn’t much better at 4.7 carbs of which are 4.7 sugars. I like the idea of cream in coffee and tea but I suspect this would put a massive dent in my daily 800 calories.
    I’m using the myfitnesspal app as a diet diary and it’s great. Only had 500 calories so far today from lunch and dinner. Did 1 hours walk this morning and burned 579 calories, so had a promising first day.
    Good luck everyone

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If you just use a splash in tea or coffee it isn’t that significant. Latte’s and cappuccinos are more of a problem, but just count in your 800. If you have the problem that some people have where they psychologically don’t recognise drinks as nutrition, then have it on top of your 800, it is still good nutritionally. I do sometimes use skimmed, but more often semi-skimmed but my regularly daily beverage is herb teas so the overall quantity is low.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

When Tesco has gone I will have green tea and cinnamon to enjoy – looking forward to the health benefits of both of those ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Ann60
    on

Just had a huge stir fry and tried cauliflower rice, spread it out in a baking dish, drizzled with a chilli oil and lots of pepper, surprised at how nice it was, anyone else any ideas what to have instead of potatoes, rice and pasta,

• posted by pcoventry
    on

I scoff curly kale and cabbage as theres nothing in them.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hello

An overweight, unhealthy vegan here. Yes, I eat lettuce but also overindulge in high sugar foods.
    As a result, my mirror and I are no longer acquainted ๐Ÿ™ Can’t bear to look.

I’m a couple of stones overweight and have been advised by my GP that I am well on the way to non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Hoping I can do something about it.

Have been reading your posts with much interest. Very inspiring.

Am currently trying to find low carb vegan proteins.

Will start my new way of life on Saturday.

Best wishes to all.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Have a look for the 101 things to do with cauliflower thread. I don’t think we are up to 101 yet, but whole roasted or spiced roasted cauliflower steaks, rice, mash (various recipes) and even pizza crusts are options that have been suggested from this humble vegetable. Many also work with broccoli. Get a spiraliser as well and the skies the limit for pasta replacements.

• posted by 3CS
    on

Hi way of life. I am also vegan and proteins I use are natural smoked tofu, seitan, nuts,seeds. Quorn also do vegan fillets but I have not checked carbs on them yet. I get my tofu etc in Wholefoods health store but other health stores stock too. Protein powders can be low too and I add to shakes which I count as 1 meal and not as a snack. If you have any tips please let me no. Thanks

• posted by Happygirl1970
    on

Hi everyone! Well that is day one done and I didn’t half make it harder than it needed to be. So anxious that I won’t be able to do this that my ‘gremlins’ in my head have had a field day ! I missed breakfast , my choice but I don’t think I will miss it again. Hummus and salad for lunch and then gammon and cauliflower cheese for tea. All normal food , minus the 2 ton of junk that I would usually have as snacks. However in the course of a day I have almost joined Weight Watchers and Slimming World !! I guess it is just my gremlins’ way of telling me that I can’t succeed.
    From tomorrow I plan to read all your stories on this forum as soon as the negative talk starts. I know I only need a few good days to get me on my way. Given up diet pop today too (.was drinking it almost every exclusively) Very bad headache today and not sure if it is the lack of pop or drastic carb reduction?
    Take care xx

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Hello everyone !
    I completed about 3 months of the 5:2 about 16 months ago and went from 94kg to 86kg but didn’t touch a drop of my beloved alcohol in that time.
    I then went to Bali for a 15 day break and you just can’t say no to a cold happy hour Bintang.
    Slowly over 8 months the 8kg went back on and by Dec 31st 2016 I was back to my stupid Best of 93.1kg and feeling sluggish.
    I had had Gout for the 4th time in 8 years so gave up meat in Nov 2016 as that is what causes it.
    I give up meat and don’t get it for ages, then I slowly go back to it and Bang-Gout, it’s back.
    My Auntie was diagnosed Type 2 at age 65 and we have a family chat group on What’s App. She showed a photo of herself and she had clearly lost 15-20kg and she totally recommended BSD diet and book.
    I bought the book in early Dec and decided that Jan 1st was the day. My wife has agreed to join with me as well.
    It’s our 3rd day today and it’s been tough.
    My wife weighed 90.7kg and our ideal weights are 77kg and 70kg respectively.

I’ve nearly read the whole book and these forums are so inspiring. Why can’t doctors get inside with this BSD concept ??

My wife isn’t a great reader but I will help her read the book in full and enjoy the success stories on the forum.

It’s my birthday tomorrow (49) and I’ve since decided not to have a meal out etc and I decided yesterday that I will celebrate by having 800 calories.

We are going away to a friends house for one night on the beach so we have said there will be about 3 days where we have about 1600 calories and they’re built in. No carbs just protein and veg:salad:quinoa and fats on those days.

We also have a Concert at a winery in early Feb seeing Simple Minds with 5 couples so that will be a challenge but hopefully we will be so into the BSD that it’s only one of the 1600 calorie days that we had to factor in.

It’s morning on the 3rd day and yesterday was tougher than the first day. I played golf and cutnthe grass and felt faint in the afternoon, in fact I took a nap which was great lol.

Lots of carbonated water with lime in keeeps me going and the 2 egg omelette with mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, chilli and spinach is a belter of a breakfast.

Bean salad was nice as was roast veggies for dinner last night.

10,000 steps a day is crucial for me as I work in an office. Thankfully in Aus you can wear trainers with a suit so I have some great Adidas black shoes that feel like a trainer and just about go with a pin stripe suit lol. Just about.

My wife already seems to have more energy so I’ll check in in about a week with out first weigh in on Sunday mornings.

Be strong and determined

You can’t have your Carb and eat it

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thanks 3CS
    Great advice
    I’ll check out the quorn. Didn’t know it’s vegan as thought there’s egg in it.

Not a fan of seitan but will eat nuts, seeds, tofu.

I also drink soya/almond milk and coconut yogurt. I sprinkle hemp seeds on to the coconut yog. They are high in protein too.

– Have just re read what I have just written above. I sound so healthy. If only. I’d love to get the carbs/sugar out of my system.

Best wishes to all.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi WAYOFLIFE, this is probably the advice equivalent of coals-to-Newcastle, but nuts are highly recommended on BSD, but do check for the carb content. Macadamias are the lowest (tho high in calories) and cashews are among the highest in carbs so best avoided (except occasionally). You are probably more aware of phyto-proteins than us omnivores, just remember to keep the good fat (extra virgin olive oil, coconut etc) levels up for satiety!

All the best to you on your BSD journey.

• posted by 3CS
    on

Hi Way of life the vegan quorn is quite new and does not contain eggs. I also use alpro unsweetened soya milk in my redbush tea, Alpro unsweetened almond milk and almond yogurt. You can put alpro natural yogurt into a seive with kitchen roll and drain overnight which gives you a soft cheese which I add chives too. I did well on 5:2 but not been good lately and put some weight back on.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Just got the books and getting started on 9th, be great to have some fellow beginners for mutual support! Seems there’s a lot of us starting off in January. Good wishes to all. Never been part of any forums but really committed to changing life with help of this eating plan!

• posted by Way of life
    on

3CS – thanks again. I’ll try that with the almond milk.
    Just out of interest, does the approach almond contain sugar/have a high carb content?

Daisies mum – thanks for the nut info. It’s almonds not cashews that I’m partial to, so I’ll need to check carb content for them. Crazy I know, but had forgotten about the olive oil. Will add to my shop list.

Mara – I start on 7th when I return from travel. Will shop for appropriate foods Friday and commence Saturday.
    See you in the 9th when you start.

Best wishes all.

• posted by Kitte Nole
    on

I have book and recipe book- ready to begin tomorrow 1/3/2017- I live in Florida- need to lose 30 lbs before a wonderful Africa trip in September. Want to feel better, have more energy and not hurt my knees, hips, and not develop diabetes. Working out with a trainer for 30 minutes 2 times a week. I am 68 years old, female- anyone else older on here? Ready to get started.

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

I’m starting my 4th week tomorrow and was feeling hungry, really hungry all the time until Captainlynne suggested I eat more carbs while keeping the calories under 800. My daughter-in-law is really into the LCHF diet and I discussed it with her too. She has helped me get the balance right. I’m not hungry anymore by eating upto 50 carbs a day and under 800 calories. Can’t wait for my weighin tomorrow morning. My blood sugar levels are wonderful and my early morning fasting level was terrific at 4.9 this morning. I’m really pleased with this and would love to join in here. Enjoy your journies people.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Yes Kitte Nole quite a few people over 68 who are doing or have done BSD. I was 68 when commenced at end of August 2016. Lost 10.5kgs in the eight weeks and another 4kgs since then doing 4:3. Best of all have reversed my diabetes for the time being at least, (research to date says if people had diabetes for more than 5 years it may not be as successful longer term). Age is no barrier to good health via BSD.

• posted by LizV
    on

Hi all! My husband and I officially started our 8 weeks today. I started a couple days ago because I didn’t want to wait. Overall I’ve been feeling great, but today (Day 3) I had some angry irritated moments. I felt angry that I couldn’t eat almost to the point of rage, which was startling. I have been addicted to sugar for a long time and typically eat lots of carbs, pasta, potatoes, chips, bread, etc. I believe in this and am committed to sticking with it for my health, but today was rough! I ended up cancelling evening plans. Anyone else experiencing this or have any tips?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi LizV
    All part of the ‘carb flu’ I’m afraid. Not everyone suffers from all the symptoms, but this one has been noted before.

Do what you can to get through it, it won’t last long. Go for a walk, have a bubble bath, read a book, go to bed early. It will pass.
    Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

LizV – I did 8 weeks BSD in the run up to Christmas (starting end Oct) and, yes I had the grumps too, it was towards the end of week one. I honestly thought I wasn’t going to be able to continue, I was EXTREMELY miserable – a serious case of “stand back everyone”! Then literally overnight it changed, I woke up one day feeling like a completely different person, full of energy, even tempered, calm, alert, clear thinking etc etc. I can honestly say I feel 20 years younger than before I started BSD.

I have always known I was a (refined) carb addict, but this experience has shown me just exactly how much! Since going through the “carb flu'”, I haven’t been remotely tempted by sugary carby stuff, even mince pies, stollen (a very particular former favourite) and all other Christmas sweeties didn’t tempt me one iota.

I hope your symptoms vanish soon, and as suddenly as mine did. (When it was at its worse I ate slightly more calories; to be THAT miserable, AND starving too – no thanks. My body soon adjusted to less food, and the hunger pangs diminished) Persevere, I’m sure you won’t regret it.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Morning everyone
    Today’s the day!!! Just weighed myself and measured my waist. Completely horrified but feeling more motivated now I’ve seen the results.
    I notice lots of people talking about carb content and keeping under a certain amount of grams a day. I had interpreted the diet as veg, bit of fruit, protein and very limited/no pasta, rice,bread. Have I got it wrong? Do I need to count carbs in those things and stay under a certain amount as well as the 800 calories?
    Have a great day everyone

• posted by Jo Gardner
    on

TumtumP I try to keep my carbs down as it’s the carbs that put my blood sugar levels up and I want to keep them as healthily low as I can without going too low. I don’t know what the diet book says yet as mine hasn’t arrived yet.

• posted by On-a-Mission
    on

Hi, I have been on this for just under a week now. I would like to join in though. Lost 5lbs so far. This forum is quite difficult to navigate isn’t it. I cant see where to go to send a message. Or am I being silly!

• posted by pcoventry
    on

TumTumP

Under 50G of carbs a day – I try to stick to 25 and under for my T2D. I don’t have any pasta or bread of potatoes.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

On-A-Mission,

Well you’ve sent us all a message but if you mean to another person, then no me neither.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all,

So I have started today. Weighed myself this morning – 14st 13lbs and I’m only 5ft 3in so have quite a lot to lose (BMI 37). I have just had my breakfast of 2 hard boiled eggs and half an avocado (apologies to everyone in my office for the smell when I opened my lunch box haha!), I have tuna salad for lunch and basa fillet and cauliflower rice with feta and veges for dinner tonight. I have the same brekkie and lunch already prepared for tomorrow as I made it in bulk yesterday, but will mix it up again later in the week. I love a tuna salad but don’t want to get bored!

Fizzy water with lime is to be my saviour!!

I’m looking forward to getting to know you all – we can do this and 2017 is going to be our year!!

:o))

Rebecca x x

• posted by Moggot
    on

I started yesterday, had minor slip up with cal counting. I didn’t weight 2 tbsp of Heinz mayo. I weight it this morning to add to my chicken salad. A whopping 360cals. So had to put some back ( boo ). So for a rough guess I had about 950 cals yesterday rather than the 800ish I was hoping for.
    I did find the craving for something sweet was tough going yesterday morning, so I had some Pepsi max and that took the edge of it (I don’t drink sugary fizzy drinks as rule and haven’t done for over 20 years).
    This morning, I didn’t notice any sweet cravings but I think my Greek yogurt with blueberries may of helped there.

• posted by toby101
    on

Starting today, 43, 6 foot man, 16 stone, prediabetic blood sugar levels want to go down to 14 stone and normal blood sugar.

Following the week 1 diet in the book so blueberry and green tea shake for breakfast (not to my taste if I am honest), pepper with feta stuffing for lunch, and lamb and aubergine for dinner.

My biggest worry with this diet is my frequent weekends away – first one coming up this weekend – staying in a hotel – how do people cope with these?

Second biggest worry is booze, giving up my favourite foods AND my daily couple of glasses of wine at the same time seems like a big ask

Anyway good luck all

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

MOGGOT – I mix my full fat mayo with equal amount of full fat greek yogurt and add a pinch or two of dill and a few drops of vinegar. It gives a lovely buttery flavour and keeps the calorie count down. It might be worth a try (I know we all have different preferences, it might not be to your taste). There’s no big portions in 800 cals (unfortunately) and it takes time to adjust to eating so little (especially if you had a big Christmas feast or two ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

Getting into the swing of BSD is an individual process, stay positive, the penny drops eventually!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Toby101
    I face a similar problem as I work away a lot and there are too many opportunities for hash browns!
    I’m thinking that sticking to mushrooms,tomatoes and eggs at the breakfast is an option?
    Alcohol is to be avoided – boohoo! Although it suggests just doing so for the 8 weeks initially. I suppose it’s time to find a good alternative? I’m just going to keep focusing on my end goal and hope I don’t get tempted.
    Good luck!

• posted by solange
    on

May I join in? Just starting today and not looking forward to no wine on this but hey, it has to be worth it. Need to lose 14 lbs, maybe a little more. I’ll see!

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello all January starters…there are quite a lot of us now which is good as we can support each other.

This morning I had dropped my Christmas kilo but a part of me wonders if tomorrow I’ll see some back again as a kilo overnight is a lot to lose. Still it bucked me up no end…

I walked about 3.4kms yesterday and am off to investigate fitbits this afternoon after my walk round the park.

I also registered for the 1000mile walk and love, love the facebook page almost as much as I love these fora!

To anyone just starting: take heart it really does get easier.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Healthier me – you can actually prep lunches for the whole week with a few mason jars or large jam jars in about 10 minutes flat. I do several greek salads at a time, layering the cucumber, black olives and feta cheese etc. Saves weighing and logging the calories each time, and there are loads of lunch ideas like that which keep well in the fridge (check out mason jar lunches on google) for several days. Does mean you have crunch factor in your diet which I find helps me – couldn’t manage liquid only!
    Julia

• posted by solange
    on

Hi Julia
    Thanks for that tip. What a great idea! Just making a shopping list for tomorrow. I have some large jam jars I was about to recycle so I am ready to roll.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Cauliflower Rice = yummy.

Need to avoid Porridge, Just fond out 60G of oats takes me over my daily carb limit ๐Ÿ˜•

• posted by ww
    on

Hi everyone,
    I am starting today. I am 47, 5′ and 85kg so not drinking for the 8 weeks to give myself a decent shot at this. I started exercising more and tried to become familiar with the BSD in December, have had a fab Christmas and New Year and stayed the same weightwise so I’m pretty happy with that. I think it will be challenging for me not to have any alcohol as that is my passion (or should I say downfall?)
    Looking forward to supporting each other during the coming weeks.
    Let’s rock and roll…

• posted by tonic
    on

Hi on second day starting just a quick question husband is finding there are lots of nuts in the recipes so is not enjoying it much can I change that and leave them off or would that change the diet too much . Also I have just picked out different meals and not gone for the planner at the back of the book.

• posted by Marion53
    on

Hi,I May I join. I am 63 (64 v soon) pre diabetic with strong family history. I am starting on 9th Jan after the guests have gone. I’ve been on every diet known since my twenties and overweight for ever. This is definitely the last one. 198lbs and looking to loose 50-60lbs. Will take this week to re-read the book and plan meals and strategies. Apprehensive but lots of people have done it. Lots of inspiration and support on this site. Post next week

• posted by pcoventry
    on

You are ALL welcome to join us! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tonic, I also just did my own planner from the meals.

Today was 2 eggs. Simple Egg Muffins for dinner (yummy) and tonight Quorn chicken with cauliflower rice – todays total 798 Cals ๐Ÿ˜€

I am not a nut person and so I don’t have them, and it’s working for me..

• posted by Lizzibeth
    on

Hi. Hope I’m not too late to join! I’ve been reading the books, working out a shopping list and I’m planning to start tomorrow. I’m 35 and not diabetic but there’s a family history there and I’ve got other health issues that aren’t being helped by my weight. On Sunday morning I was 14st 2lbs so 2017 needs to be the year I lose 5 stone – eeek!!!
    There are some amazing success stories on here. Looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi everyone and welcome. For everyone new here may I suggest looking at LindaA’s post on page 3 of this thread (about half way down the page). There’s some really good, sound advice there. And have a good look around the site, there are plenty of inspirational people and posts.
    Good Luck to everyone starting, or returning to, this way of life.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

pccoventry – you have 60g of dry oats at a time made into porridge? just asking as I occasionally (used to be most days) have 26g made with 200ml soya milk (other milks available ๐Ÿ˜€) and can keep to a low carb day. I also make “overnight” oats with about 12 – 15g of oats, up to 80g yoghurt, bit of grated aple and berries and some seeds which can be a bit high carb-wise but is very filling. I generally put it together in the morning and have for lunch. Personally, I find frozen berries to be the most convenient and cheapest to add to things like this.

• posted by LizV
    on

Linda and Daisiesmum, Thank you so much for your encouragement! I’m really looking forward to when this passes! I went to bed early and though I still feel a bit off, I weighed in and have lost over 9 pounds since this time last week. I think I’m just going to treat this like a regular sickness and get extra rest, etc until it passes.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hey Annie,

I follow the recipe, so I guess so?

Hi all, can I clarify something please?

I started Monday 15st 10, I thought today I would just weigh myself and my weight-watchers scales say 15 7 1/2 so I am like yippee 2 1/2 pounds gone. I always weigh in the same place. So I put this into MyFitnessPal and it has pushed my daily calorie goal to 1640!

Is this a malfunction of the app? Or is it because the max setting is 2ib’s a week and because i’ve hit that it wants me to do a maintenance diet for the rest of it?

I am going to ignore it and do 800 a day but I just wondered.

Cheers!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

60g is a hell of a lot of porridge oats, are you sure the portion is not serves 2? Genuine question. I usually use about 25g or occasionally 20g if I have other carb sources planned. It can be bulked out a bit low carb by nuts and seeds, I often use chia seeds.

Please log in or register to post a reply.