Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HealthierMe
    on

Hello,

newbie here. And a nervous one at that. I stumbled over the book on Amazon, have now read through it and want to follow the diet for 8 weeks, starting 13th of January (so that the first two days are on a weekend!).

As I am so nervous and fearing horrible headaches, I would love to link up with someone who also is starting up in January.
    So if that is you, let me know, please and we can support each other!

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Hi. I’d like to join you please! I’m away on holiday from 7-14th January but aim to start as soon as the plane lands! I’m reading the book at the moment and I’m excited to get back in control with my eating. I’m vegetarian. It would be great to be able to support each other.

• posted by Pippas77
    on

Hi. Yes I want to start mid Jan too. Lots of visitors beforehand. I’d love to be part of support.

• posted by Ari
    on

Hi!

I’m starting 2nd January and am a newbie to the BSD with far more weight to lose than I like to think about, but mostly my health is so poor right now I just need to get healthier even without thinking about the losing weight part! Would be more than happy to buddy up and cheer each other on – I know I’ll need a good kick up the backside from time to time lol!

• posted by Jd1961
    on

I’m starting in Jan too, I’m a vegetarian as well so I’m a little bit worried as lot of the recipes are meat ones, I just have to adapt them as best I can

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Hi everyone. This is going to be fun! Jd1961 I have bought a book from The Book Depository called ‘The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet’ by Rose Elliott. it cost ยฃ6.95 including shipping and it really helpful for Veggies. it doesn’t have pictures but has just under 200 pages of recipes and a lot of introduction and explanation. Good luck everyone!

• posted by Louise05
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m also a newbie and plan to start in January. I have read the book and also a bit nervous about the 8 weeks but the extra support and knowing I am not doing this alone is just awesome! Looking forward to the journey and seeing the results! Best of luck everyone!

• posted by HealthierMe
    on

Hello HeatherJane, Pippas77, Ari, Jd1961 and Louise05!
    So glad to see that we are a bunch to start up in January. Great job, HeatherJane for already giving the first tips. This is going to be fun and together we will be stronger.

Let’s continue to use this thread especially in our first couple of weeks. I understand afterwards it get’s eathier ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck with the preparations!

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Well, I’ve just made myself proud. I went to Morrisons this afternoon and didn’t buy anything at all ‘naughty’. Hooray! I’m starting to get into the right mindset.

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Hi to everyone
    I’m a newbie too
    Planning on starting in January
    Would love to share tips and support too.
    Can feel a bit daunting at the beginning I’m trying to plan from before to help myself stay on track. Also have got rid of all forbidden foods. Planning first food shop soon.
    Good luck to everyone who’s going to start next month.

• posted by 3CS
    on

Hi I hope to start the 2nd week in January as i am away on a break right after the bells for a few days. I follow a vegan diet so adapt recipes if I can. Did well on 5:2 this year but have fell away last few months. Need to get back on track again.

• posted by Lizsouthfwb
    on

Hi there, I am in Australia and starting in Jan too. I am ready now but will get through a few more social occasions and houseguests this week and NYE. Also on holiday Jan 10-24 but thinking I will start Jan 1 or 2 and then try and power through the holiday as best I can without stuffing up too much. Food won’t be a problem so much for me. Although I have never been a practicing Nutritonist, I have a BSC in nutrition so understand the science and generally eat quite well (just too much) but I am a social creature and love my wine and parties and tend to over indulge in all the good stuff then. I am a bit of an all or nothing type! My BMI is 25 so the high end of ok and no blood sugar problems. I have about 10-13 kegs to lose depending on my start point next week, (bit scared to get on the scales after the last few weeks of fun!) . Look forward to connecting up with some other Jan folks for support.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi All,

I am starting in January too – 4th of January in fact.

I am looking forward to regaining my health back as I know that my body is beginning to become unhealthy, my knees are sore, I get aches and pains, I don’t sleep particularly well and my skin has lost its glow.

My food isn’t that bad generally but I’m a sucker for a sandwich from the work sandwich van if I feel lazy and I’m also a wine drinker (too much and too frequently).

I am determined to do this – I will have 6 weeks between beginning and going away in February, and then when I get back I will have another 8 weeks between that and another trip so some good time frames to work with. I live with my parents and they are really supportive. They are away until the new year now which will give me time to do a good food shop, do some prep and get some recipes printed off to get some menus planned. They will eat whatever is put in front of them so I am really lucky in that sense….

OK – 2017 is the year… I need to re-read the book (read it just before Christmas) and get going!!!

• posted by Thisisit
    on

Hi guys, I have already completed eight weeks which finished Christmas Day! I lost 16lb in total.
    Planned on being fairly good over the few days of Christmas before resuming another eight weeks…I have just weighed myself and in four days I’ve put 7lb back on ๐Ÿ˜ญ.
    So I’m not waiting for January, my eight weeks start today. I’ve given myself a goal of losing 32lb by 19th April, so I will have two blocks of eight weeks to do.
    The diet plan really works if your determined and stick to it. Can recommend the app fitnesspal for jotting down and keeping a record of your daily calorie intake. It’s also an eye opener when using this tool, the amount of calories I was actually consuming was considerably more than what my head thought! So recommend this app to help keep you on track.
    Drink plenty of water…be prepared for frequent visits to the loo, possible headaches to start with and feeling tired as your body adjusts.
    Totally worth it when you jump on your scales and see the results :).
    Right, I’m off to get rid of any left over Christmas naughty food in cupboards and fridge. Our visitors leave today so I will send it off with them ahahah.
    And so it begins (again) ๐Ÿ˜Š
    The support on these forums is brilliant, it really does help, so keep us all posted.
    Good luck everyone

• posted by Lairdybird
    on

Hi guys another newbie here, I plan to start in Jan but have not set a date it will be great to be able to support eachother Becky x

• posted by Luv2danz
    on

Hi everyone. I’d like to join you i’m starting now. Recently read the book and did a week before Christmas and lost 5lbs (having just returned home from a trip to OZ). Went a bit off track for a few days and actually felt off kilter over Christmas….so much so ive got straight back on it! My aches and pains disappearing already. Ive a couple of social events over NYE which i’ll have to handle as best as i can. Best of luck everyone.

• posted by Freyanighteyes
    on

New to this, have the book on my kindle and starting 8 weeks on the 1st Jan , I have been doing 2:5 and lost 8.5 kg but have stalled for past 4 weeks and been eating junk for the past 2 weeks Christmas feasting. Looking forward to sharing my journey and supporting each other. I am 60 and hope to lose another 10 kg to get to goal of 66 kg I am 157 cm tall.

• posted by Hollands70
    on

Hello,

I’ve ordered the book, so hopefully it will arrive for me to start on the 02.01.17. I feel awful, my stomach hurts all the time, I have heartburn all the time and i’m so unhappy in the way I look.
    Weighed myself and I was 13st 7lb and I am only 5′ 5″ at best.
    I want to feel better, look better and be healthy for my wonderful family.
    Both my parents have had stokes early in life
    I eat and drink for emotional reasons, as I suffer from Depression, but I have weaned myself of 40mg of Prozac and want to stay off it, it’s an emotional roller-coaster as I hate myself, so I eat, get fat and hate myself more!

• posted by Sheila1954
    on

I am starting on 1st Jan as that seems like a fresh start. I have been on all the diets you could think of and have arrived at 62 at the heaviest ever. Too many trips to the scales and I get really hung up, so will be brave the first time ( with the tape measure too) and then once a week only.
    I suffer from a rebellious nature and dislike being told what to do. This is not a helpful personality trait!
    My husband is also inclined to tell me what I should be eating so this is also not helpful given my stubborn side.
    But I am keen to give this a go as my eating has become very erratic and lazy recently. Holiday in March so a good goal to aim for and it would be nice to fit into the clothes I wore last time.
    In my defence I have fibromyalgia which doesn’t help things but not using it as an excuse, just worth a mention
    Good luck everyone
    Sheila1954

• posted by Allana16
    on

Hi I am a newbie just wanted to get started in January
    I have been looking at all the posts since September and have been with you all on your weight losses
    And also your gains it’s a fantastic group and everyone’s so friendly
    So I would like to join in

• posted by Orangespider
    on

Hi
    Newbie also..doing mine for cholesterol and weight loss and to feel and look better for big birthday in April and beyond. Would love to buddy up with a fellow dieter.

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Hi. I’d like to have a buddy Orangespider or anyone else who wants support. I am away from 7-14th January but want to start asap and be as good as possible whilst I’m away! I’m a 56 year old vegetarian with approximately two stones to lose. Good luck to everyone.

• posted by joy4life
    on

Hello one and all,
    I am planning to make that new years res!!!!! I cannot keep eating the quantities, poor food choices and sedentary lifestyle (we know what we shouldn’t be doing)!
    All the posts sound like you guys are in the same position as myself. I have scrutinised the book, made notes, got the recipe book, listened to the Australian link of Micheal’s talk on a show.
    I like the idea of the book suggested as would like to go more veggie too, as red meat doesn’t seem to agree with me anymore.
    My better half is very supportive and never judgmental, given that we have been together 30yrs and my weight has been creeping up and up!!!
    Let’s all just motivate each other – this is a plan that has everything to loose and all to gain – go for it!!!

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Well said, joy4life!

• posted by ruthie123
    on

Hello Everyone
    I’m also starting in the next day or so – as soon as I can get my head around what shopping I need. The leftover mince pies and stollen have already been dumped! I was going to chuck the creme freche but it looks as though I can use it – amazing! It will be great to be “on a roll” – and lose some rolls at the same time. Ha!
    Look forward to hearing how you all get on. All the best.

• posted by Orangespider
    on

Hi Ruthie…let’s go!!!

• posted by Bollynix
    on

Count me in, same time frame for starting. Good luck everyone!

• posted by lilacdiana
    on

I too will be starting in Jan. I have the book and recipe book. I think it will be hard to start but determined to succeed and hopefully with support on here we will all achieve great success!!

• posted by Happygirl1970
    on

Hi
    I am a newbie too ! I am waiting for my books to arrive but have been doing a lot of reading online. The time has come for me to make some big changes. I am 47 this year and totally addicted to eating rubbish ! I go out of my way to eat junk and often have no appetite for decent food. This is going to be a real change for me and I need some quick wins to get me going ! Tbh, I feel anxious and excited in equal measure . I am not only overly IT savvy but would love to get (and give) some support and company on this big journey !! Xxx

• posted by Janeyjune
    on

This is a first for me too. I have tried numerous other diets., GI, LCHF 5.2 which was tough for me. Read the book and have started to try out some receipes from this site which were really good ( Moroccan chicken and red peppar curry). I wonยดt be officially starting until the 9th January. On an 8 week challenge… hope to lose at least 8 kgs before my holiday in March. Feels great that there are so many others out there who are battling with their weight too.

• posted by Hollands70
    on

You sound like me! Must be because we were born in 1970!

• posted by Pishki
    on

Hello please may I join you?
    Have played around with starting loads of diets but need to knuckle down.
    Love the idea of improving my health, not diabetic but AM addicted to all things sweet!
    Aiming to start on 1st Jan x

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Hi Everyone,

I am starting up again on January 1st, 2017! This will be my second 8 week-800 calorie BSD. My first one started on October 9th, 2016 and ended the first week of December, 2016. I lost 19.5 lbs.
    I took time off during December but mainly tried to stick to low carb eating. Currently I have been able to maintain the intial loss.
    I am actually looking forward to continuing on with the BSD. I plan to lose another 10 lbs. and then go on maintenance which I know I’ll have to work really hard at since that is my downfall in weight loss.

So excited about starting again and looking forward to reading your posts! It helped me so much to read other BSD participants posts during my first 8 weeks. I know it was a big part of making it through for me!

Happy Holidays!

Janet :–)

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hello! I’m another one born in 1970! Started the plan in October and have fallen off a few times but still 4 kilos down from my start weight so pretty happy! Restarting the 8 weeks in the next day or so, and would love to be a part of this thread too.
    Good luck everyone, this diet really will change your life!!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

So nice to “virtually meet ” all of you who have posted so far! Looks like a great group :–)!!!!
    I’m getting ready to start on January 1 by trying to stick to low carb foods and eat no more than 1000 calories. I have to once again get myself used to not eating very many calories.
    One of my downfalls in my first 800 calorie-8 week BSD was drinking wine. Even though I lost a decent amount of weight, I feel like I used alcohol to get through it. A glass of wine in the evening seemed to make it tolerable for me to go without carbs. The problem is it used up a good amount of my calories and so I’d really only eat 500 to 600 calories a day. The wine was my substitute for bread, pasta, rice, potato’s, cake, cookies, pie, candy, ice cream and so on. I also had a morning cup of coffee with half and half and that added up to at least 100 calories. So if I can limit my coffee with cream and limit how often I drink wine, I’ll be able to eat more food this time around.
    I don’t do well with telling myself I can’t have something. When I do that, I usually end up bingeing on it! Not good!!! So this time around I am going to work hard on limiting both of these drinks from my daily calories. If I have to have either one, I will, but I plan to have a lot less of both this time around.
    In the next day or so, I’ll be going through the pantry, refrigerator and freezer and tossing the holiday foods out! No need to tempt myself! Then I’ll make a huge pot of chicken vegetable soup and divide it into 1 cup portions. I’ll freeze most of it and use it for work lunches and quick dinners. The individual portions were simple to defrost in the microwave and it really helped me get through the BSD last time around!
    I have a doctor appointment coming up next week that I scheduled during my first 8 week BSD. This will be the first time my doctor has ever seen me this low in weight! I am eager to weigh in! ~ Janet :–)

• posted by Samantha1970
    on

Hi…..I’m another newbie born in 1970….in fact its my birthday today….2017 I have decided is going to be my year for looking after me….I need to realise that I can’t eat like I could when I was 20…..
    I am also someone who needs to see quick results so this way of eating appeals to me and I am beginning on January 1st….
    I am also hoping that being part of a like minded community will make things a bit easier and I lack will power…
    Good luck to everyone, Let’s hope we have an easy ride….

• posted by Fifi and Flo
    on

Happy Birthday! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I am starting in January too. I will be 52 in March and am about 4 stone overweight. A slightly high blood sugar test 3 weeks ago has made me keen to change my lifestyle and eating habits. I also like the idea of a rapid weight loss to hopefully help with some aches and pains and tiredness. My husband is joining and supporting me so I am quite excited for 1 January to arrive! Good luck to everyone and a Happy and Healthy New Year x

• posted by Troods
    on

Yes starting 2nd January, good to have others on the journey. Lets do this!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Happy Birthday Samantha1970! So glad we are all going to be here to support each other.

• posted by Hollands70
    on

Happy birthday! ๐Ÿ˜€ My books have arrived! My husband made the most amazing cauliflower, spinach and chick pea curry for tea! It was amazing! ๐Ÿ˜ฑUnfortunately though true to form I ruined it by eating 4 M&S luxury chocolate buscuits! Not after the 1st of January though! This year I am going to lose weight and be healthy and keep the weight off!!!

• posted by Hollands70
    on

Omg Samantha1970! I too am called Samantha!

• posted by Lizsouthfwb
    on

You Samanthas have found your true BSD buddies. How fabulous! Love the name by the way, I have a wee one called Samantha. I am 1971 not 1970, – spring chicken ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to starting on Jan 1 and a great 2017. Great to hear everyone’s stories and mostly I am looking forward to us all posting our results and cheering each other’s successes.

• posted by sue126
    on

Hi all

I’m starting Jan 2nd (maybe 1st if I can get myself organised in time).
    I’ve had a few health issues this year that would all improve if I lost weight.
    Could probably do with shedding about 4 stone to get into normal bmi range. I’m a serial dieter – most recently with slimming world but I’ve done them all (more than once) and have never got to ‘goal’. I have tried lchf before but I’m convinced that I really need to control the calorie intake as well as the carbs so although I will use full fat products they will definitely be in moderation. I also need a break from alcohol.
    There are some inspiring members on the forums and I hope I can emulate some of their successes.
    Good luck everyone – I’m looking forward to sharing our experiences over the next few weeks!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Count me in too.
    Have tried BSD before but need to change whole mindset this time. Saw it as a temporary fix. It needs to be a way of life for me from now on.
    I’m kicking it off in exactly 48 hours time.

Good luck one and all ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Thank you Nedds mum! Glad to see you on this forum. 2017 is going to be a successful year for all of us here on the BSD website. So glad to be part of this wonderful group of people trying to work on getting healthy. We can do this!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

So I am having this experience with a box of chocolates that is tempting me! My husband was given a two pound box of chocolates for Christmas–See’s Candy- Assorted chocolates. My very favorite! I resisted this chocolate the entire holiday season–every time I was out shopping, I would avoid this store. When someone came to the office to sell this chocolate for a fundraiser, I told myself I had to say no because I wouldn’t be able to resist it. . . and then he brought home a gift from a co-worker and when he opened it, it was a box of these chocolates. I didn’t tell him how much I’d been wanting to eat this chocolate! I pretended as if I was okay with the box of chocolates–that I wasn’t tempted at all by it!
    I did really well resisting it until tonight! Tonight I wanted to break into the box. I thought of lots of ways to deal with this temptation. Part of me wanted to open it up and eat as much as I could until I got sick from it and never wanted to eat it again-part of me wanted to throw it away. I thought of giving it to someone else as a late gift or driving it away from the house and dumping it in a garbage can. I thought of opening it so no one would notice and taking just one piece out. Finally I decided to get a ladder and put it way up high with some of the other foods I’ve been tempted by during the past couple of months. I told myself that after the next 8 weeks, I could open the box of chocolates and eat a few pieces if I felt like it but if I opened it before the 8 weeks was up, I’d have to throw it all away. It worked!!! I feel much calmer about it now. It’s still available and eventually I’ll get the chance to have some of it if I want to but not now.

I often do this type of thing right before I start a diet. . .I eat too many calories as I prepare to start the diet. I act as if I must eat all the foods I won’t be able to have on my new diet. I think it is usually the time I gain the most weight in my life. . .right before starting a diet. Then I go on a diet and if I don’t last on it, there I go again gaining weight. Does anyone else have this problem? This is something I want to work through because these temptations will always be there. If I can’t deal with them, then I’ll always be starting another diet because I won’t be able to maintain my weight loss. If this happens to you, what do you do to resist the temptations? I don’t want to gain a few more pounds before starting the next phase of the BSD on January 1st. It took a lot of work and effort to lose the weight I did on my first 8 week stent. Why would I want to sabotage my efforts? ~ Janet :–)

• posted by MeredithP
    on

hi – I am in Western Australia and have signed up for the 8 weeks starting 2nd January. Have tried before but stress got the better of me and only lasted a few weeks. I enjoyed the food though. I’m hoping since it’s summer and hot that it will be easier to eat the lighter foods. I need to lose about 50kg total but would be happy with anything at this point. I’m a little worried my medications are inhibiting my weight loss, generally speaking. I’m 56 and heading for gastric surgery if this weight doesn’t start to shift. Limited mobility as well.

Anyway, bring on 2017 and some new lifestyle habits. Oh, if you have the 5:2 cookbook, there are some great low-cal recipes in there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy New Year, everyone!
    Meredith

• posted by MeredithP
    on

oh tips –
    1. Drink a LOT of water. I have a soda stream and carbonate my water and add a lime slice to help getting it down. Try to get 2-3 litres a day in. Can be in the form of hot herb tea or ice herb teas, as well.
    2. PLAN your meals a few days ahead. I bought some plastic boxes and actually put the ingredients and recipes in the box and put them in the fridge, so I just pull out a box and cook. Saves that “what’s for dinner” angst.
    3. Make friends with your slow cooker. Lots of things can be started in the morning ready for when you come home from work. Again – less temptation.
    4. Use leftovers to take to work for lunch. Most recipes are for 4 people so my daughter and I always take leftovers to work ๐Ÿ™‚ Saves money, too!
    5. Myfitnesspal is a great app to both track calories and track exercise. A lot of the BSD recipes are already loaded into their database, so don’t feel you have to type in every single ingredient in. Just do a search with BSD or another key word of the recipe.
    Good luck.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Nice to meet you all **virtual wave** :o)

I have got the food shopping ordered for Monday (starting Tuesday 3rd) including lots of lovely vegetables and meats and fish and eggs and good fats (love an avocado!)… Have got the house to myself that day so will do lots of food prep for the week – I’m going to make up the majority of my breakfasts and lunches for work if I can, and then make a big batch of cauliflower rice and freeze them in individual portions so they are easy to go to. I will have the menu planned for the week and a shopping list for the following week will be created towards the end of the week after trying what works and what doesn’t work…

I am going to try and go snack free – I don’t snack at home, only at work but then I’m tied to a desk so a lot of that is routine and boredom. I need to get myself a decent water bottle for work as currently I have a rubbish old water bottle that’s manky so a treat for the new year will be lovely. Every little helps so going to reach for that instead of the fruit that I normally have!! I eat a lot of satsumas etc during the day so will be weird giving these up but they are high in sugar so will be a good thing to cut out.

I’m hoping that this planning will help me in my goal…. First milestone is holiday on the 18th February so 6 and half weeks to do as much as I can…!

Lets do this people – New Year – 2017 is going to be THE year!!!

Rebecca xxxx

• posted by HealthierMe
    on

I really love these tips! Thank you to all who posted them. I am really not good in pre-planning let alone cooking and kfreezing in advance. So thank you for the tips. Are there recipes for the slow cooker in the 5:2 book?

I am actually considering to do meal replacement the first two weeks. This way I don’t have to deal with a lot of preparing and the hunger / adjustment at the same time. Though I imagine that only drinking liquids will be tough as well. I will want to chew someting. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I guess it will be learning by doing!

Thanks everyone. We will mabe it happen!

Please log in or register to post a reply.