Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Two days to go until I start round 2 of the BSD-8 week-800 calorie plan–1st weigh in for me will be January 1st, 2017.
    Feeling a little nervous but excited!
    For breakfast this morning I had 2 eggs with some butter, 1 piece of bacon, a bit of sour cream and medium taco sauce with a cup of coffee with half and half.
    The box of chocolates is still high up in a box in the pantry! I’m not feeling tempted anymore.

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Lovely to hear all the stories and motivational comments. Was supposed to start in january but thought ill just go for it now. Been doing for about 4 days now so not much, having smaller portions, no junk food lots and lots of herbal tea and water and i have lost 4 pounds so far. so excited as i have pcos and it makes it difficult to lose weight never had such quick results.
    i use myfitnesspal to track too really excited for everyone to reach their goals too. i have struggled with my weight for years since my early teens, really happy with the loss so far. i have about 4 stones to lose so a lot. hopefully we all reach our goals. We can all do this will be worth it

• posted by Anna.hoff
    on

Sweden here and I’m starting 2nd January. Not much weight to loose but I badly need to change My eating habits. Binging potato crisps and ice-cream is not a good idea with heart decease and diabetes running in The family.

I’m aiming for 800 kcal mediterranean-ish diet with one Day of fasting every week.

So looking forward to trying this out and hoping it Will give me a fresh start 2017.

• posted by k8
    on

Hi All,
    I’m looking forward to starting up too! I tried this back in the early fall for a few weeks, then hubby accepted a new job and we just finished our relocation before the holidays. Time to get back on it again. I only did it for about 2 weeks but saw immediate results and was pretty comfortable. I especially loved the support of everyone in these forums. Pretty wonderful!!!
    I’m also a vegetarian and just received the cookbook. Looks like lots of great veg recipes in there!
    I just jumped in today, using My Fitness Pal to track carbs, etc.
    Good luck Everyone!!!

• posted by Happygirl1970
    on

So many people in the same mindset! This is fabulous…. I received my books today and got to say the recipes look brilliant and fairly easy too !! However the book that explains the 8 week plan has scared the life out of me !! I really do feel that this is no longer about fitting get into a pair of jeans but totally about staying alive !!!! Big shopping and prep day tomorrow and then starting on the 3rd. Also giving up Pepsi Max at the same time ( I drink it by the bucket load!!) Eek !!
    Good luck everyone
    Sharon xxx

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello to everyone

I am starting my 2nd eight week plan tomorrow 1st January…lost 11kg quite comfortably then put on 1kg over the last week in spite of my determination not to. So tomorrow is another day and a new start.

Being successful the first time round was down to being hyperorganised, preplanned menus, shopping lists and logging every calorie and over Christmas that was forgotten. Not feeling guilty or blaming myself just acknowledging what I have to do to be successful.

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow!

• posted by asecondautumn
    on

Hello folks! I’m planning on re-starting the diet from the 2nd of January, and it looks like I’ll be in good company ๐Ÿ™‚

In total, I’d like to lose just over 40 lbs, but I know that’s a long-term goal and not something to fix in 8 weeks!

I’m also vegetarian but cook for my meat-eating husband so meals need to be quite adaptable for us both. He’s been doing the conventional 5:2 for the last few years so we’re used to slightly unusual diets ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve got the 2 ‘official’ books, but I’ve also recently bought ‘Low carb, gluten free and vegetarian’ by Celia Brooks and there are some super recipes in there. The things that woman can do with an aubergine!

All the best to you all ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Granny
    on

Hi to you all, soooo glad i found this thread as lots of hints, tips and encouragement. I’m starting tomorrow so doing my ‘prep’ shopping today. Although i am not on meds for diabetes but am in the ‘at risk’ category and as someone has already pointed out, reading the BSD book is a real eye opener and its all about getting healthy rather than fitting into a size 10! So roll on tomorrow virtual family!

• posted by Speedy
    on

Yes, I’m trying – again!
    Been a member for years and fooled myself that being a member and liking the science would in some way work. Well I know it wont and so trying again. I have a huge amount of weight to lose that will take years – but on 5:2 before I lost 20 kilos and felt great.
    I really need to succeed so happy to start again in a group. I’m veggie and I know that doesn’t help but doesn’t make it impossible.
    Looking forward to being in a bit more control. Going to use My Fitness Pal for calories as well as carb totals.
    Going to try for 50-60 carbs.

• posted by KayLynn
    on

I just ordered the book and plan to start January 7th. Looking forward to getting to know other BSDers!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Happy New Year to all of you in places where it is already January 1st, 2017.
    Here is the USA, it is New Years Eve morning.

Wishing you all a great start if you are starting today. I’ll be joining you tomorrow!
    My twin sister has decided to try the BSD so I’m really excited about that.

Janet :–)

• posted by Ari
    on

I’ve now done my first week’s food shopping ready to start Monday! Tomorrow I plan on a low carb day (but no calorie counting) making a slow ease in ready for Monday.
    Feeling very excited to get going and also nervous about being hungry – I have a few no calorie drinks and very low calorie snacks in mind (celery anyone?)
    Happy new to you all!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Everyone
    I’m starting on 3/1/17. I knew I’d gained weight after a couple of ops this year but when my GP said I needed a fasting glucose test I knew it had hit crunch point. The test has been repeated and I’m waiting the results. By getting started now I feel reassured that no matter what the result shows I CAN reverse it.
    I’m a vegetarian too. To prepare, I sat down and wrote out 10-15 meal recipes that I calculated the calories for. I based it on things I like to eat, reduced the carbs, bulked them out with veg etc. Then I drew a grid of meals for every day next week and fitted in meals based on keeping to 800 calories a day. I started on evening meal and worked backwards- no meal has more than 450 calories and if I had a higher calorie evening meal, I looked at lower calorie lunch and breakfast. I’m hoping it works!! I travel a lot for work but have figured out where my nearest Tesco and M&S are as I know they sell a few things I can have. No more cooked breakfasts!
    I also did some rudimentary calculations on how many calories it takes to lose a pound of fat. I reckon I can lose up to 45lbs in 8 weeks!!! THAT motivates me ( spaniels ears boobs not so much!!) What happens if you aren’t at target weight at the end of 8 weeks? Do you just carry on?
    Support buddies gratefully received- please say hi!!

• posted by Pompom60
    on

Hello, I’m starting in January too. I’ve got about a stone and a half to lose and have lots of diabetics in the family so I’m wanting to lose some weight and get myself into shape a bit more and keep diabetes at bay. I’m 60 and, although I don’t have any medical problems, I’m starting to have aches and pains and to feel old and fat! I’m not quite sure which day I’m starting yet as I’ve got family staying for another week but I might go ahead anyway and let them do their own food! One particular problem for me is lunch as I’m in my car all day and tend to eat ‘on the run’. Any portable lunch ideas would be great. I’m looking forward to some mutual support on the site. Good luck to everyone and happy new year!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Pompom
    LUNCH ON THE GO:
    M&S and Tesco both do a protein pot with boiled eggs and spinach. About 150calories and you should be able to find one or the other at service stations. A bag of almonds, banana are good to have in the car. As is a punnet of cherry toms or bag of sugar snap peas and Tin of tuna. Good luck

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

I stopped the diet for a few weeks whilst I clarified something with my doctor. None the wiser I am starting it again as of midnight and doing the full 8 weeks. I only got a headache for about 1/2 a day and then I was fine. I still drink my coke zero and it has zero effects on my weight loss.

We have a slow/pressure cooker and we use it to make porridge every day – we have home made soup for dinner and some meat and veg for tea.

You can just by slimfast or weight watchers stuff for the 2 weeks if you want. I pigged out on a WW meal the other day and felt bad, only to find out it was nder 1/2 the daily goal so I had a treat instead. Left feeling stuffed and still under 800 calories!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hello again to all

Not a great few weeks but that’s in the past.

I’m restarting tomorrow. Have been trying to think differently and change approach. Last time I took a day at a time (good move) but kept telling myself that come Xmas and at end of 8 weeks I would stuff myself again with high sugar foods. That’s what I did.

This time I have to see this as a way of life from now on. I’ll still take a day at a time but not look to a time in the future that I can lapse. When thinking that I obsessed about it every day planning what I’d eat and I went mad and ate enough for a family of four….truly i did!

So tomorrow it’s all change.

I’ll post when I can but will try not to obsess about doing that too. I’m an all or nothing kind of girl and this hasn’t served me well in the past.

I wish everyone well on the BSD journey. I look forward to reading about how you are all getting on.

Have a fabulous evening and happy new year.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi Nedds Mum,

I was inspired by your story and I wish you luck also. I am starting tomorrow but I started to drink my water a few hours ago after we ate.

My wife does the diet too.

• posted by Sally30
    on

Wow some of your stories sound so familiar! I am 13st7 and feeling rubbish about it. Lots going on in life and food / wine is a comforter. No longer. Now it’s time to find me again. Can’t wait to get there and lovely to know there are lots of you right there with me. Bring on 2017!! Xx

• posted by Natalie
    on

TumtumP I am intrigued by the comment (spaniels ears boobs not so much!!). What does it mean?!

Granny good to see you still around!

A new year seems like a great time to refocus and make a fresh start, all mistakes in the past.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Natalie
    I’ve a lot to loose and I’m worried about loose skin! Never goes from hips and thighs- pretty sure I’m going to end up with no boobs! Flying squirrel is not really the look I’m hoping for but if it’s a choice between flappy skin or Type 2 Diabetes I’ll take the skin!

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Hi all. What an interesting thread. TumtumP your earlier post is really inspiring about how you prepare. Please count me in as a support buddy. I’ll send you a friend request. I could Dunwich support myself. In holiday 7-14th January and going to try to start as soon as I can and try and lose a few pounds before I go.
    Heather

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Oh I can’t send a friend request. I forgot that I wasn’t on my Fitness Pal!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Heather Jane
    Thank you for comments. In it together -happy new year to you. I’ll keep you payed and you do the same x

• posted by tigs
    on

Hi Angela06 reading your post and thinking we have similar stories. I too am starting round 2 today 1 Jan and lost 11kg last round. Put on a kilo over Christmas 10 days not really on plan, but fired up and ready to get to goal this year.

Go well everyone with your new year BSD start xx

• posted by Angela06
    on

Happy New Year, BSDers everywhere…may 2017 be kind to us all.

Hi Tigs, nice to meet you, it’s so comforting to have company on this journey.

Well, here it is 1st January and I weigh in at 100.6kg. I would like to lose another 10kgs in the next block of 8 weeks but my main aim is to attack the fitness part. I’m a real couch potato so to get myself moving I’m going to try the 1000 mile walk. Considering my normal exercise consists of some basic housework this really will be a challenge but it’s worth a try. I just have to figure out how to record the distances and I’ll be away.

Am skipping breakfast this morning. I was quite restrained last night in what I ate (it was quite hard to say no to the black forest trifle) but I ate way too much and there were two glasses of champagne!

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by Granny
    on

Good post neddsmum, i tried the BSD for 6 weeks before christmas and felt great, then of course the obligatory pig out๐Ÿ˜’, why o why do we do it๐Ÿ˜–, so……….change of mindset from today, onwards and upwards, happy new year all BSD’ers x

• posted by Granny
    on

Thanks natalie, we did so well last time and as you say time to refocus, know we can succeed this time.
    Hi Angela06, would love to know what the 1000 mike walk is, never heard of that one, my initial aim is to achieve 10000 steps EVERY day. Good choices today everyone.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! I’m a complete newbie going to start on Wednesday 4th but a bit scared that I will last about 5 minutes :@ I’m brilliant at making plans but not so good at following them through. It’s as if by the act of making them the weight will drop off and I’ll suddenly magically be slim and fit again. But I’m now in my fifties and the weight has gradually crept on and as others have said earlier something has got to change. I hope that by checking in here regularly I can keep going and also help encourage others to do likewise. Thanks for all the tips so far and see you soon …….

• posted by Barders
    on

Hi everyone, I had done a couple of days before Christmas and like some, then pigged out and undid the good work! I am back on it for 8 weeks from today and will keep going this time, as I know the benefits will definitely outweigh any challenges.

I need to lose 7 stone this year, but aim to get most of shifted by July. It’s will be tough sometime, but being in good company like this will help :0)

Good luck everyone and wishing you all a Happy and Healthy 2017!

• posted by MeredithP
    on

In terms of movement – I have downloaded the app Fast Exercise which can get you moving slowly. The other thing is my chiropractor told me to start doing some tai chi every day (I’m really burnt out!). So I found this 8 minute Youtube tutorial I can easily fit into my morning routine – “NOTIME” is never going to be my excuse this year.

https://youtu.be/PNtWqDxwwMg?list=PL4Jg0sycPcbqunVPp_NZkAAELK45wvGtd (edited with correct link)

I have an exercise bike and the BSD consultant that did my dexa scan told me about interval training. Here’s the link. It’s also a short time span.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-17177251

Good luck – my official thing doesn’t start until the 9th but I am starting a ‘practice’ week on Wednesday when I head back to work.

Happy New Year

• posted by Sara-Louise
    on

Hi all, I’m starting today, and I’m really looking forward to being healthy and fit from here on in! Good luck to you all!

Sara

• posted by Hollands70
    on

Just had my breakfast 2 eggs scrambled with a little smoked salmon and a pint of water. ๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by Mari1003
    on

Hi everyone,
    Newbie here also !!
    I’m diabetic type 2 also !! On insulin !!
    I want to do this diet and look forward to feeling better and have better control of my blood sugar!! I want to give it a go myself !!
    Good luck everyone xx
    Mari

• posted by Goforit76
    on

Hi there.
    Just sitting down for a near year sort out and decided to come online whilst doing the diet in January. I did a few weeks before Christmas to ease me into it – lost 4 kg without really going for it but now wanting to do it properly. I found starting the days with eggs was a real hit for me as staved off carb cravings at work and didn’t feel hungry, and also putting sugar stuff away into cupboard ( I have 2 small children so not able to rid of completely) really helped. I am veggie too so will look into that book suggested for more ideas.
    Lovely to meet you all and look forward to the next few weeks and beyond. 2016 was not the best for me so wanting to start the year off with some positivity. To sugar free and beyond…Good luck everyone.
    Louise

• posted by Happygirl1970
    on

Hi Dreams come true ( love that!)
    I feel a bit scared too !! Starting tomorrow (2nd) I have read the books and cleared out my cupboards . I have weighed and measured myself and even got my blood sugar checked at the local chemist ( normal range thankfully but won’t stay like that if I carry on eating as I am)
    I have tried and failed on so many diets and used every excuse imaginable not to see things through. I desperately want this to be different and will need to take a one meal at a time approach . I am hoping that if the weight starts to shift a bit quicker this will give me some confidence and self belief that I can succeed. I have around 4stone to shift so need to be in this for the long haul. Sending good wishes to all you lovely people for success and happiness in the coming months !! Xxxx

• posted by HealthierMe
    on

Happy New Year everyone! I am excited about this support. Thank you for all the great tips and thank you MeresithP for the links!

• posted by Mad4
    on

Hi Everyone,
    newbie here too! have spent most of my adult life overweight and i really need to take back some control as im over 16 stone at 5,8″. i lost loads of weight on slimming world years ago but it didn’t really teach me anything about portion control and i just ate mountains of pasta and rice. As soon as i went off plan the weight piled back on ๐Ÿ™ I use food as a huge emotional crutch and am far too dependent on alcohol.
    reading the BSD book was a huge eye opener for me, it makes so much sense and i can understand now why i was never satisfied and constantly craving sweet treats. i also checked out my fasting blood sugar at work and it was 9.6! eek!
    So im determined to do this. starting today. Im sure its going to be pretty tough initially as im so carb addicted and alcohol dependent. but i have to do it. im so glad that i found some like minded people and hopefully we can support each other. im off to record my starting weight and measurements now, this is not going to be pretty….

• posted by Neela
    on

I’m starting the diet on 9th Jan. Must lose one stone followed by another! I have trouble sticking to diets and my problem is portion size and hunger. I can eat even when I’m full. It’s my 70th year this year and I must keep to it. I would really appreciate help and support from a group would be just what I need. I managed it with stopping smoking and giving up the alcohol but this one always defeats me.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi
    I think being vegi is a bonus with this diet as veg has fewer calories so you can really bulk up your meals to fill your tummy and stave off hunger pangs. Do you eat Quorn? I brought the recipe book but didn’t see much I fancied in there so I’ve made my own recipes based on what I like to eat. I thought of the ingredients I wanted to use and used ‘MyFitnessPal ‘ app to work out the calorie content. I made up 10-15 recipes per meal and then just slotted them into a menu plan for the week. Have a go- it was surprisingly easy. I’ve got curry, bolognaise ( no pasta but served in peppers) tortillas – little gem lettuce leaves instead of the wrap, stew . By knowing calorie content of 100g of my most used ingredients I’ve been able to mix and match to get to 800 calories knowing I can both cook it easily and enjoy it. I can also bulk cook so that the family can eat the same by multiplying the recipe accordingly. I really hope this helps. Lots of love and luck xx

• posted by CysterBSD800
    on

Some very helpful tips TumtumP Thank you and thank you for telling me about protein pots too very good for staying on track in busy times.
    Ive weighed myself again today down another pound so good progress so far. Hope everyone is doing good too take care.

• posted by Kjb21
    on

Hi and a happy new year to all! I started the plan today – did it last summer and felt great, losing 7 kilos…and then life got in the way and I’ve put it all back on and more. Why do I do it to myself?! Anyway, new year and new job so am determined this time to make a change for life. Glad to see so many other new starters.
    Good luck all!
    Kirsty
    x

• posted by Neela
    on

Great start thanks TumTumP. I have now signed up with MyFitnessPal.

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi All,

I am using the MyFitnessPal, The wife is doing the recipes and cooking (our agreement)

First day – nearly 1.5L water down (soda stream with cordial, win!- although my doctor tells me Coke Zero is fine for anyone who still wants to drink it, it’s basically the same)

Porridge for brekky – Michael’s perfect scrambled eggs for lunch with loads of mushrooms. Med Chicken casserole in the slow cooker for later – total for today 778Cals. Not hungry, not dizzy, so far so good.

I think because we did it a few months ago and did have the headaches etc then for about a day we missed it this time?

I am determined this year my Diabetes will sod off!

• posted by Luv2danz
    on

Happy New Year (Start!) for everyone.

My weigh-in is tomorrow. I’m a WW goal member for the last 10 yrs. However, the last year I found my midriff was growing although the weight only fluctuated up or down by a few pounds. Having seen a friend do really well on the BSD I got the book and read it while away. I returned from a 10 week trip to Australia just before Christmas and followed the book for a week and lost 6 of the 8 pounds I put on whilst away. Although I relaxed a couple of days before Christmas by Christmas Day I felt uncomfortable. So much so I cut back immediately and feel much better for doing so.
    So my challenge is to lose my belly fat and reduce my weight down as I’ve always been at the upper end of my target for my height.
    I’m glad everyone is sharing their experiences…this helps with the motivation. I came on here now as I was beginning to think about what I could eat!! Having read through the posts the urge to eat is passing…..thanks.

So we’ve got this ….2017 we can smash this!

• posted by ana_m
    on

hello to all the nice and supportive people here! I think I could do with some support too as I am starting the diet tomorrow Jan 2nd… my family is the truly negative type (“we don’t see you losing the weight any time soon”) and my friends are not very supportive (“but you look alright, what’s the problem?”).
    I am female, 39 yo. I want to lose 26 pound (12 kilos) by mid April which is when I have a holiday coming up. I am 5’3 and currently 159 pound (72 kilos). My long term goal is to be 123 pound (56 kilos) but if I am 132 pound by mid April I will be very happy. My motto is “rule yourself” and I will do my best to stick to it even without help from close friends and family. I am also planning to do more exercise but that’s for March, after I have gone through the initial changes in diet etc.
    If anyone would like to buddy up for the next 2 or 3 months, it would be great. Good luck to all!

• posted by Sweetalice
    on

Hi I’m starting the 8 week plan on January 7th, having been told 5 yrs ago I was borderline diabetic, and now recently being told blood sugars out of control and have liver damage. Very nervous about it all, and, having very little self confidence, not convinced I can make it. So glad I’ve found this website, hopefully will keep me going!

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi everyone, I am committing of this for January and will see where I get to. I am 9st but a TOFI so I want to lose another 1/2 st to get rid of the midriff! I have been doing the low-carb Mediterranean diet since October and have lost 10lbs but I seem to have hit a plateau and I still don’t like my belly so I’m bringing out the big guns – BSD 800! I am also doing a ‘dry’ January because I know the alcohol just mounts up the calories and I also want to challenge myself to do it – I have a suspicion that might end up being the hardest part.
    Good luck to everyone- we can do this.
    SSB

• posted by harris1825
    on

Hello, I’m starting today. It’s going quite well so far. I saw the book, and having been on the 5:2 previously but with little thought and planning involved I want to do this right this time, so a read and a think later here I am. I’m quite a fussy eater, very much a pasta sort of woman, so I’m hoping this diet will help reprogram my taste buds!

• posted by MickGarrod
    on

Hi Alice, I decided to start yesterday as I couldn’t eat anymore starchy crap, l think I would have exploded. I have done the 5:2 diet previously and really liked it, it is surprising that once you have got used to telling your stomach that it is not in control but your head is it simply stops giving you a hard time. Hunger simply comes then goes, in the end the hard bit is deciding if you should eat now or in an hour because you are in total control, all the carb cravings vanish, you do have to be a little patient at the start but it is liberating. Initially make sure you have things like marmite or cup a soups just to pacify your urges. Anyway good luck and don’t over hipe the start it’s no big deal.

Please log in or register to post a reply.