Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Welcome Rose88 Voyager, Kandefloss, Julygirl and good morning to all the BSD january family, the level of commitment here is really inspiring for me..this is my go-to place when my motivation slips and the fridge beckons!

I joined up for the 1000 mile walk and have been chugging my way round the park. The first 8 weeks I dixn’t add in exercise…becauae basically I’m lazy, but this time round with just some walking, I’m really noticing a difference. And I’ve printed out some of their posters and put them round the kitchen to remind me if I forget!

Have a great day everyone. Angela x

• posted by duploon
    on

Hi all, I also started on the 2nd of Jan. This is my 2nd go at it and hopefully this time I can get over the initial hump. I enjoy the food, I enjoy the feeling that not eating rubbish gives me, such as not bloating and sugar spikes/drops etc. Instead I have a clearer mind, sleep better and feel more comfortable in my tight trousers.

I tried this for about 6 weeks last year Aug/Sep -lost 6/7kg – but got a bit fed up with all the faffing with cooking and cleaning up and having excess ingredients building up. That might more because of the type of person I am than anything else. This time I intend to stick with it as long as possible, hopefully until the end of Feb at the very least and then long after that. Have already lost 2kg and it is not even 1 week yet. I realise most of it is water but it is a good morale boost.

Anyway, I believe it will help to have somebody else to make the journey with. Look forward to having much success with all of you.

Noel

• posted by solange
    on

Morning all
    Day 3 for me. Yesterday I admit to a craving for hot buttered toast but resisted! I am holding out hope for this working to get me over my plateau. Over a year on 5:2 with the odd lapse has seen off 14 lbs. Here’s to another 14 fingers crossed. have all the food ready. The only problem I have is making dinners that I can bulk up with carbs for my underweight husband!! I am planning on adding pasta, rice, pots etc to his.
    Thank heavens I am already into 5:2. It really does help. Good luck to all, we are on a journey together. x

• posted by Granny
    on

You’ve motivated me Angela! Where can i find out info about the 1000 mile walk? I too am lazy but want to see a difference quickly, as you can see impatient too, lol

• posted by Moggot
    on

Day four, and noticed some minor changes in my body shape again. T-shirts being a little loser round the belly and something that isn’t mentioned in the books. My teeth feel clean all day!!
    Although falling to sleep still takes me a while, I am sleeping a lot deeper and not waking up during the night which is something that doesn’t happen very often for me.

Today I decided to have chopped apple with my Greek Yogurt, while tucking into my breakfast.
    I added the foods in myfitnesspal app. The Apple has 19g of carbs in it. Oh well lesson learnt but as my carb count for the last few days has been sitting between 20-30 carbs overall. Im not to worried.

• posted by solange
    on

Hi Granny, me too, would like to have a focus like that. Look forward to hearing from Angela!

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Morning all,

Day 3 for me and the aches and pains are starting…!! Have a sore neck this morning and my tummy is quite bloated (sorry) but I can feel my body making changes inside which I know is good….

I have overnight oats for breakfast today for a change and left over ragu with boodles for lunch. Dinner tonight is a really low calorie chicken and veg curry.

Day 3… Bring it on!!!

Hope you are all ok today :o)

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hi granny and solange, the 1000 mile walk challenge is organised by Country Walks magazine, I think. I saw it mentioned on these fora by captain lynne and avila so i googled 1000 mile walk UK 2017 and it took me to the site livefortheoutdoors. Once you register, it’s free! you can sign up to the facebook page and meet such nice people a bit like here really, nice, like minded people with similar goals. Of course you aren’t obliged to walk a 1000 miles but it’s a good objective. I wear my tracker all day so it encourages me to clean my house!

Buffylover: what are boodles?

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Going well
    Day 5 finished
    I know I’ve lost weight around the middle
    Day 3 I spent having a number one almost every 45-60 minutes but been a lot less since
    My favourite is oats with natural yoghurt (the lowest sugar yoghurt there is on the shelves) with blueberries
    Trying to be diplomatic here but my labido has disappeared for the moment lol
    I feel a bit slower and occasionally really in need of carbs
    However my wife and I are sticking to the 8 week plan and we’ve both lost weight around the middle
    Will have main weigh in on Day 7

• posted by Granny
    on

Thanks Angela that sounds like something I could get involved with, I will look it up. Getyourcarbon…. oats are yummy with the thick greek yoghurt too, and so filling! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Hello Everyone
    You all seem to be doing wonderfully well and are an inspiration to me. I intended to start my journey on Monday, but am bringing it forward to Saturday as I just want to get on with it – urged on by all of you. This time I’m going to do it and all of you are helping me. I hope I can be of help also along the way somehow. The big shop tomorrow afternoon (visitors in the morning). Now going to plan the weeks menu and shopping list. This forum is great. Thank you all for your input and well done to those of you who ae already on their way. Keep it up!
    Kate

• posted by Granny
    on

Welcome Kate! Good luck with your shop and your journey๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by jane c
    on

Hi everyone,
    I did 3 weeks of the BSD800 last year and lost nearly 2 stone and my blood went back to normal ๐Ÿ™‚ I couldn’t have done it without this forum. Have never been on a diet before but it had to be done as I’m now officially diabetic but have no plans to use meds. I then just kept my carbs as low as possible, but the odd treat started increasing… I’m definitely addicted to sugar and possibly even carbs.
    I’m a veggie and was basically eating far too many carbs for years, plus alcohol. This diet can be done by vegans, but I found eggs to be really helpful for filling me up during the dieting phase. There’s only so much tofu and lentils I can eat.
    The last few months I knew I was slipping and this has now been confirmed ny BS readings (plus I’ve put back on half a stone). So I’m going to do it again. It’s been great to see lots of messages popping up recently.
    I’m also going to see a hypnotherapist to tell my subconscious that sugar is toxic- I know that rationally but still see sweet things as treats.
    Good luck everyone, we can do it! Recipe ideas are always welcome.

• posted by toby101
    on

I am currently following the week 1 plan in the book – day 4 – going surprisingly easily – everything tasty so far- save for the blueberry and green tea shake – but when I look up the calories involved in each ingredient they tend to come out quite a bit higher than the calculation in the book – is this just my poor maths or has anyone else found this this?

• posted by ValerieRob
    on

Hi all. I weighed myself on Monday and then again today and I’ve lost 4.5pounds. How good do I feel today ๐Ÿค— I am finding it difficult to eat 800 calories but it’s working

• posted by Angela06
    on

Toby, I think quite a few people have mentioned that the book is on the light side re the calories..best to do the weighing yourself. I rarely use the book now as we prefer some simple grilled fish or meat with lots of lovely veggies. Certainly my tastes have changed and I find the less time I’m in the kitchen the better…

• posted by topcac
    on

I did find the calories a little confusing because when I added up the separate ingredients I couldn’t get them to agree. However, I just followed the meal plans and recipes in the book, one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner and I lost weight steadily and quickly, hitting a 23lbs loss in 15 weeks, with only that to lose. I’m now on maintenance (well I will be when I’ve lost the pesky Christmas weight!)

My advice would be that if it’s working for you just stick to the calories in the book.

• posted by PaintThinner
    on

Started 1st Jan. Armed with the book I am following it to the letter. Food quite tasty except the nasty green tea and blueberry yoghurt shake for breakfast. Last night’s chickpea frittata wasn’t that nice either but I will tweak recipes to suit. My husband and I are both doing this for four weeks prior to a trip abroad. He has T2 diabetes and I am a bit fat. He wants to get off meds eventually and I want to lose a few stone. We will recommence in earnest on our return in March. Call this a dry run. We have given up booze for January.

• posted by PaintThinner
    on

Yes, that shake was very watery. It could possibly be quite nice with less liquid.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

The best thing has just happened – I have got the Michael Mosely book which I am working to, but my boss (who told me about the diet and he has lost a stone and a half), has brought me in the recipe book to borrow!!

How amazing xx

Inspiration a go go ! :o)

• posted by 54togo
    on

Hi All

Day 3 for me. I’m on a mission to lose 54lbs this year. Can’t remember what led me to this site, then the book and the cookbook but MM makes sense with the lose it quick to help liver and pancreas etc work better. The visceral fat I carry is a big concern to me but I am a binger and drawn to sugar and carbs like so many.

I can’t say I’m finding this easy as I’ve been following a plan of 3 meals and 2 snacks (supposedly to keep blood sugar levels stable). I get a bit confused with all the conflicting information out there and am missing my snacks but I’m determined to give this a minimum of 2 weeks. 9 years ago I did Lighter Life – complete meal replacement plan and lost 4 stone in 3 months but then, as usual, I put it all back on and more.

Look forward to chatting to you all throughout our journeys ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi 54togo

Well the excellent news is that 54lbs in 52 weeks is very doable! It may even take you less time than that ๐Ÿ™‚ and, I hesitate to add, it’s MUCH better than Lighter Life.

I am your age and had 24 lbs to lose which I did in 15 weeks. I have a sedentary job and really have to work at the exercise part but it is really worth it.

Good luck – you will find this forum is invaluable so come here for tips and tricks, when you’re feeling crap, or great – there will always be someone here to help or advice or send you a cheery wave.
    TC

• posted by 54togo
    on

Thanks TC

Totally agree re LL.

I’m feeling really positive about this year and my journey and believe that groups/forums like this can be a huge support ๐Ÿ™‚

24lbs in 15 weeks is impressive – well done!

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

Hi there everyone ! Virtual wave !!!! I’m also a newbie planning to start this weekend ( the 7th Jan) I have about 3.5 stones to lose…..I’m only 5ft 2ins…..I’m now utterly sick and tired as to how I look and what I have become , lazy demotivated and unfocused ! I drink far too much wine and eat sporadically ! Usually ready meals which I’m ashamed of as I’m a very good cook! I used to have a handspan waist , caught sight of myself in the supermarket mirror the other day (whilst walking to the alcohol aisle) and was shocked to see a puffed up shiny red face on a grey rolly poly body !!!!!
    I am a nurse and have asthma, depression , and am at risk if T2D so I should no better surely?????
    Anyway this site and forum is a godsend to us and will be our friend/ counsellor/ motivator and Inspiration as we are all in the same boat with the same goals and fears.
    Let’s make 2017 the year of change !
    Best wishes and Good Luck my darlings
    Alex x

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi lexy4france

Think positively now – We can do it!
    I start on 7th too (only a few days behind the other guys).

Will shop for food tomorrow. I’m trying to think of what I can eat as opposed to what I can’t eat.

I’m a sugar/binger too. You are not alone.
    See you on the 7th
    Best wishes

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Evening lovelies
    Day 3 for me. Not been too bad – but was doing 5:2 before Christmas. Seem a little hungrier today. I try to hold off eating as long as possible and then aim for either 2 or 3 meals depending on my hunger level after the first. Feel abit tired and spacey but I read somewhere that someone else had felt rubbish on day 3 but woke up feeling incredible day 4. After today it’s nearer the end of week 1 than the start! I keep telling myself THIS IS NOT A CHOICE now. This diet is not about my figure, it’s about my health. It’s about not getting retinopathy, heart disease, nerve damage etc etc. So in weak moments I remind myself of this. And it’s 8 weeks after all. At the end I can do it 5:2 style if I’m famished all the time. But I will not be reverting to old habits cos it’s not a choice!!!
    Love to all, now what’s for tea?!?! Mikki x

• posted by topcac
    on

Thanks 54togo – it took me a year to lose that on Slimming World!! and, like you, just put it all back on – this way of eating works for impatient people like me who like to see immediate results – in my first week I weighed after three days and I was 5lbs down – imagine!!

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

Thank you Way of Life! And to everyone on this forum …..it’s like joining a family!
    The stories, the weight losses, tips and recipes are very motivational!
    I did the Cambridge diet with my hubby some years ago and we were very competitive each weighing in in the morning….he inevitably lost weight quicker than me but overall we lost 5 stone….
    I’ll never forget the energy I had and how great it felt to put on a pretty green linen size 10 top I was ecstatic!
    I feel so ashamed that I’ve become a lumpen, wobbly size 16…it’s really stopped me going out ….so I stay in and drink wine! It doesn’t help that my hubby is working overseas……but the dogs help !!!!

I think Michael Mosely is a wonderful credible and interesting journalist and doctor ….I always watch his programmes as everything is researched and evidenced based ……..I wish more GP’s were inspired by him.
    My hubby went to see a GP recently and this is what has triggered us to really get cracking and get healthy and fit…..his triglycerides, cholesterol and Liver function tests were high, higher than they’ve ever been and he has a belly fat so very at risk! All the GP said was ” you’re an intelligent , articulate and educated man you should know what to do” well I was so aggrieved ! ……..where was the counselling, empathy and understanding ? None of us want to get overweight, be unhealthy at risk of chronic debilitating disease ……..this is WHY this forum is so great we can really bare all and be ourselves and be honest….facing overweight and ill health challenges us to open up and share……Good Luck on our journeys everyone ! I’m starting on the 7th ordering the shopping on line ( no wine clicked into the basket will be very difficult !) love Alex

• posted by Sweetalice
    on

Hi everyone. One day to go then I’m starting Saturday. Just doing some menu planning and shopping list for tomorrow. Still very nervous about it, but this forum is great, really encouraging. Just been reading the post from Alex about no help from GP. Mine is the same. Told I was diabetic 5 yrs ago. The only dietary advice I’ve received is “you can eat exactly the same, just less of it. Losing weight is the key”. I’ve never checked my blood sugar levels myself, and they’ve only been done twice at the Drs since. I have no idea what you’re all talking about with regards to amount of grams of carbs to have each day. I’m just going to follow the diet from the book to the letter and see what happens!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Lexy

Whilst I completely understand your view, actually I would have preferred your husband’s doctor’s response than that from mine, whose first reaction was to go for medication. I had to tell him that that wasn’t going to happen. I didn’t, and don’t, want empathy and understanding (if I needed that I’d buy a dog), I want a sound and reasoned medical opinion. My diabetes nurse on the other hand is brilliant, she is totally focused on measures and outcomes. She has heard of BSD but has never had a patient on it before but is open but sceptical – which is great (she has concerns about getting the right vitamin and mineral balance on only 800 cals per day, particularly over a prolonged period – and I understand that concern). I’m seeing her in a fortnight after the next set of cholesterol and HBA1C tests and I’ll be interested in her view.

I guess we’re all different.

• posted by Claregetsthinner
    on

Hello ,
    I am hoping to start in a weeks time . Have reached my heaviest weight ever ( including pregnancies ) , I want to lose 6 stone , I need to lose 6 stone . Not expecting to lose it in 8 weeks though ! Don’t have a sweet tooth , but do love bread and pasta and potatoes . Fortunately I also love everything green . Have read the book once and was impressed by the science . Was hoping to change to a semi vegatarian diet , so vegi recipes would be very welcome .

• posted by Happygirl1970
    on

Hi all ( some reassurance for the newbies)
    I am a newbie to this and started for the first time on Monday . I also gave up diet drinks at the same time as my consumption of Pepsi Max was beyond ridiculous ! Tbh I have really struggled , my brain has been telling me to give into the awful 24/7 headache and mindfog !! My stomach has been yelling at me !! And friends have been telling how silly I am.
    However I woke up on day 4, the headache has gone , not sleepy, I don’t feel cold and sore . And wait for it ….I am 6lb down from Monday.
    To think I almost caved!! Just believe you can do it , view the first few days as the flu ( if you do get symptoms) and you will soon see results .
    Love this forum, you lovely people have got me through a tough few days , thank you xxx

• posted by Marion53
    on

Hi all, Starting on Monday but reading this forum every day and feeling that maybe, maybe this time I’ll do it. Planning meals and cooking some batches. Keep me out of the kitchen as much as possible. Also dreaming up a complicated crochet project to keep my hands busy and my mind off food. Roll on Monday.

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

Well done HappyGirl1970….. you got through it ! And to lose 6lbs that’s a wonderful result ! Thats why VLCD like this one show results so quickly the ones we need to see to keep us motivated and strong! Just think you’ll be in an Itsy bitsy string bikini by the summer !!!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘™
    I’ve got this Ted Baker floral swishy skirt I’ve had for two years ( 2!!!!!!) and every few months I look at it and just wish ! Now where is the effort in that ! Hope to get into when I go to New York for my birthday in March! I’m determined!
    Like you Marion53 I need to keep busy especially at night when the dreaded demon wine stares at me! I’ve booked myself into sewing classes to keep me occupied and plan to sew a kimono !
    Claregetsthinner – you’ll lose it probably just time to get into summer dresses ….but you’ll lose a significant amount to make you happier and healthier in 8 weeks !
    JulesMaigret – I was a practice Nurse and ran a diabetic clinic and I was so happy when my patients were focused and motivated to lose weight and reverse their diabetes ….many needed empathy to keep going…….some hated it but they were the ones motivated enough to turn their health around! However I’ll never forget a London cabbie an insulin dependent diabetic with very high sugars who wouldn’t stick to a diet he just didn’t care enough …in the end I just gave him a short sharp shock and said he was responsible for people’s lives when he was driving and he was heading seriously for a hyperglycaemic coma possibly at the wheel……..that made him change !
    I am so looking forward to starting this on Saturday …..Good Luck everyone !

• posted by lozzer57
    on

Hi everyone
    Only started on Wednesday and every thing going OK. Did six weeks before Christmas by following the plans at the back of the book. This time so many of you say your planning your own meals so today I have made soup but when I calculate the cals and carbs ( which takes a while ) they seem to be higher than in the book. Does everyone do this for their meals or am I missing some easier way of doing it. Help needed please.

• posted by Granny
    on

Thats amazing happygirl, well done and so helpful to us newbies! First weigh in foe me is in the morning, feeling lighter, definately less bloated so fingers and toes crossed for good results.

• posted by ScarletCat
    on

Hallo all, good to see the enthusiasm and losses already. With you on that! Christmas weight gain (plus a bit) gone in 3 days – back in new weightloss territory! Hard going at work – not hungry really just bored and sometimes a cuppa just doesn’t seem to be enough.

Good luck to everyone avoiding the vino, I feel your pain!

• posted by DeterminedDeb
    on

Hello everyone.

I am new to both the diet & online forums (I’m not even on Facebook!), but having read through the posts so far they are really helpful & are keeping me motivated. Admittedly I am only ending day 2 of going sugar-free, but as my name suggests, I am determined to change my eating habits & lose my rather large spare tyre!? My books should arrive tomorrow & I can’t wait to get stuck into them!

Good luck everyone, we can do this.

• posted by dusdavi
    on

Hi Guys
    I am 45yrs, 190cm and on Monday 130.5Kg at the moment not any health issues (apart from the obvious) but basically a ticking time bomb, I drink far too much and my diet is terrible, so here goes..
    This is my first stab at the BSD although I have tried many others without much success, this is now day 5 and I have to admit I am feeling hungry most of the time and only willpower getting me through . I am using the Myfitnesspal as a counter but using the recipe book mainly for my meals, the Myfitness app keeps telling me I am not eating enough calories, it says between 1000-1200 for a man???
    My biggest downfalls are breakfast cereals, crisps & bread which up to now I have had none of any.
    Yesterday I had apple and cinnamon porridge, tuna salad and home made beef kebabs with med veggies, with around 3-4 coffee’s and a lot of water throughout the day, this totalled up to close to 800 cals. No bread, no crisps no ‘junk’ food, I really miss them but trying to stay positive, does this sound like a correct day’s diet?????
    Good luck to everyone that is doing this life change and I will keep posting my weekly weights..

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

Well done for starting and keeping going and not reaching for the bad stuff !!! It’s hard to stay motivated if you feel hungry I know!!!! I also drink too much wine !!
    It sounds like you might need more complex carbohydrates as they release energy more slowly , hunger is caused by a trough in your blood sugar causing you to feel empty, headachy, tired and irritable …the aim is to not to have peaks and troughs in your sugar levels……do you think you had enough carbs? Or perhaps too much ? Mostly people in this forum say 50 gms a day although I think one person has 60gms and is still losing weight…..the apple with the porridge have quite a lot of carbs ( try and download a carb /calorie tracker) did you have milk in your coffee ? I was surprised myself when I counted the carbs !!!! The aim really is to feel full with good quality fats, slow energy releasing veg which is low in carbs , and protein …..do you like Full fat Greek Yoghurt ? You can have this with dark berries such as blueberries …do you like eggs you could have two boiled or scrambled with avacado…there are lots of great recipes on this site or you can google ideas for BSD breakfasts ?
    Water water and more water is they key I drink 3 litres a day…..sometimes one can mistake thirst for hunger !
    I have fizzy water with lime in a wine glass!!!!
    I think read MM book thoroughly ‘digest it’ excuse the pun !! Having scales, and a calculator is a must , shop for the week and a meal plan for a week ….having storage boxes to divide your food portions is another good idea.
    My hubby is going through exactly what you are ….he works abroad in a demanding stressful job and as I’m not there to shop and plan for him it’s really hard ….he absolutely hates cabbage, celery most forms of egg, most pulses and adores rice, pasta, bread and potatoes so I’m emailing him ideas for meals ….the supermarkets where he is have limited choice as well !!!!!!!!! He can’t afford to be hungry or tired as he needs to decisive and thorough in his job …….so I can tell you I’m on every websites there is looking for ideas !!!!!!๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿฅ“๐Ÿณ๐Ÿ—๐Ÿง€๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿฅ’๐Ÿœ
    I hope this helps a little ? Keep us posted and don’t hesitate to ask for ideas Alex

• posted by dusdavi
    on

Thanks Lexy4france
    I’ll try the scrambled eggs and avocado for tomorrow brekkie, I’m having salmon for Tea/Dinner what do you recommend along with it ???

• posted by Lexy4france
    on

Hi there There’s a great recipe for teriyaki salmon on a bed of mange tout and courgetti in the recipes section at the top of the page just type it in ! I didn’t use honey !

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Davi- I tried this and loved it
    Buy a packet of chicken noodle low salt soup
    Boil that with 5 sticks of celery chopped up and half a cauliflower and 2 good sized garlic cloves
    I know the packet soup is against ‘fresh’ but the whole packet is 85 calories and there’s enough for 3 Big soup bowls and each soup bowl is 60 calories max I reckon
    When soup and veg cooked then blitz it and have with some Tobasco or similar if you like the spice
    The best 60 calories you can have lol

I haven’t used a recipe yet in the book as I weigh and work out Calories from the internet and the packet etc

2 egg omelette with garlic ginger small tomato mushroom chilli and onion with a sprinkling of cheese is a 275 calorie delight and fills you for about 3 hours , use spray oil.

Tabasco on top is optional lol

I drink 2 litres of carbonated water with lemon or lime in and about a litre of water via peppermint tea or decaf black fresh coffee a aday

My weigh in is Sunday 7th after a week in and I know I’ve shed a lot of water already as my clothes already feel better

My wife’s the same

Stick with it as it is physically impossible to fail until you give up
    As you control whether you give up or not then decide not to give up and it’s a done deal

It’s tough but this forum helps a lot as does reading the whole book

It’s too tough to do without reading the science I reckon

Roll on Sundays weigh in

• posted by dusdavi
    on

Getyourcarbon thanks for the help, Stuart

• posted by Lindarina
    on

Today is going to be a though one. Every friday is family pizza and boardgame night. I ned to find a pizza that fit into the diet. Maybe pottobello or aubergine as the base?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

To be honest most of the alternatives to pizza have neither the taste nor texture – I would suggest that you just have something different and leave the pizzas to the others.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good morning BSDers and welcome to all newcomers,

Dusdavi, I was ravenously hungry the first week probably because of giving up carbs. Trust me, it gets better quite quickly and the fast weight loss is immediately rewarding…it’s one reason why I choose to weigh everyday.

I use the recipes from the book mostly at weekends. I still have a huge appetite which I assuage with lots of green veggies which I eat with plain grilled meat or fish. Our bbq is under cover so we bbq a lot. Having said that pork with mustard sauce is one of our favourite dishes. I also love stir fries but use a small amount of sesame oil and no sauces.

My husband has found his evening red wine difficult to give up just now so he hasn’t but is still losing weight (neither of us are disbetic, just fat and unhealthy). He eats eggs for breakfast..omelette with mushrooms or ham or cheese, or scrambled with a little bacon. He eats lunch and dinner with me but he doesn’t snack at all whereas I do.

If you like fish, it’s a winner, so filling.

These are just things I’ve found out on the way but in many ways the process reminds me of giving up smoking and I’ve adopted the same coping mechanisms.

Lindarina, I feel your pain…pizza was my favourite food, used to love family pizza nights. You could make something different for you but personally I would change the menu…mexican night with chili con carne or indian night..lightly spiced kebabs etc or home made burger nights! Good luck.

Granny, good luck with the weigh in!

The Long Read from The Guardian is an extract from the Gary Taubes book on sugar.

Have a good day everyone.

• posted by toby101
    on

4 days in 3 kilos down

I know this rate will slow but so motivating!

What is even better is that apart from some hunger pangs in the middle of the night I am actually finding it very doable – following recipes and trying loads of meals and food I have never tried before (eg beetroot felafal) definitely helps.

• posted by Ange67
    on

Hi everyone, I started on 3rd Jan, my first day back at work thought that would be easier as I can only eat what I have taken to work. Enjoying it so far but find the evenings difficult especially watching my partner and stepdaughter still enjoying the Christmas left over goodies. Could do with some healthy snack ideas.
    Had a sneaky look at the scales this morning and I am down 4 lb so I know it’s worth it, determined to keep going.
    Good luck everyone I’m sure with the support of these forums we can all reach our goals.

• posted by solange
    on

Well here I am starting day 4 and already 2lbs down. Getting into the swing of it now and very grateful I have been doing 5:2. This is obviously a little step further but enjoyable!
    I just had to read back as so many posts from yesterday morning. Wow quite a lot of people and so interesting tips!

Please log in or register to post a reply.