Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by toby101
    on

I am particularly impressed with you people who do this staying at home all day.

I find weekends really difficult and I worked from home yesterday and ended up picking far too much out of the fridge!

I find 8 hours a day in an office where it takes some effort to acquire excess food (provided you ignore the sweets/cakes people bring in – easy for me as no sweet tooth) makes this task much easier!

Sympathise with the Prosseco Mumofcrazy. My biggest downfall is booze – but by restricting it to weekends I don’t think it is slowing loss too much – I remain convinced that while it obviously does not help it does not quite have the same impact of equivalent calories in food..

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Toby, I agree, picking at home is the hardest, working full time helps, but we have half term holiday next week (I work in a school), so that’s going to be a test, I absolutely have to increase exercise then if I am going to survive!

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

I find the opposite. I could never succeed on any ‘diet’ (sorry to use that word) while I was working. Now retired happily. But, I do live alone which must be easier. I just struggle when shopping and have long discussions and arguments with myself. What a good job no one can hear what’s going on in my head – would have been locked up long long ago! I have finally got it into my head that even if no one can see me eating sinful food (so it doesn’t count) – I really am only letting myself down. I don’t buy it, so can’t eat it!

• posted by Thisisit
    on

End of week two and lost 2lb! Not a great deal compared to my 7lb loss in week one.
    This is my second lot of eight weeks.
    The first eight weeks I followed to the letter especially avoiding any alcohol as this is my downfall, because after wine (usually when I’ve starved myself all day thinking I can enjoy the extra calories), ‘extra’ calories…inevitably staying on track goes completely out of the window whilst intoxicated, and invariably I wake up the next morning to see the evidence of cheese being eaten, crackers, butter, cake, chocolate….was that me I ask myself!? Almost wishing it had been a fat fairy burglar that had invaded our home and raided the cupboards. I then find myself frantically cleaning up any evidence in a way to brush it under the carpet and pretend it never happened (whilst secretly beating myself up about it, vowing that the day ahead will be one where I’m extra good, which I usually am).
    Then weigh Day, and shock horror, when the scales either show no loss, small loss or worse, gain! At this point I find myself jumping on the scales at least five times in the vein hope they might suddenly alter, trying to balance on the balls of my feet or the sides of my heels (am I mad doing this lol, it even sounds ridiculous writing it, to think that my digital scales will alter if I tiptoe on them, who am I kidding?!).
    So, to cut a long story short, I don’t think there is room for, relaxing weekends of alcohol, cake, cheese or whatever is the vice of choice, ‘if’ we want to see those big results happen quickly.
    It is hard sticking to it, keeping the motivation, but thats the same with any diet. All diets will probably work if they are stuck too long enough, and that’s why I have not succeeded at losing weight in latter years.
    So here is a plan, the BSD, that cuts the chase and speeds it all up, eight weeks….ONLY eight weeks to stick it out and be motivated :). Yet, as week three goes into week four, etc etc, weeks can start to feel like an eternity, but its not!
    Despite my relaxed weekend of wine followed by the visit from the fat fairy, I have still managed to lose some, but I know reaching my goals will take longer.
    So I have made myself a promise to stay off any alcohol for the next six weeks, which should keep my willpower in check. Not easy, but six weeks is a lot better than six months!!
    So for any of you out there determined to see goals hit sooner rather than later, make yourself those promises not to allow for any cheating if you possibly can, the results and hitting goals will happen a lot quicker.
    So here’s to a weekend on fizzy water to keep the fat fairy away ๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Start weight: 17st 8lb
    Day 14
    Just got back from weigh-in at WeightWatchers – loss for week 4.5lb, making a total loss for the two weeks of 12.5lb.
    I am very happy with this result.
    Took my valentine, Tia the labrador, out for a romantic G&T at lunchtime. Asked for diet tonic and was given Fevertree tonic ‘naturally low in calories’. I looked at the label to find the little bottle contained 8g of carbs, 6g of fructose sugar and 30 cals. I was a bit annoyed.
    We are all doing so well on this healthy regime – keep going everybody!
    Nancy x

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi all,
    I’m half way thru week 5. I have been pretty strict – one beer when it was 43 Celsius last week which took me close to 1000 cals for the day but many days under 800 anyway. I’ve lost 8kgs but have about 30 more to lose so, while it’s good, it’s not fabulous. I agree with Thisisit that no alcohol is easier (for me) than one glass that becomes two etc!! And its only 8 weeks and I’m almost to 6 weeks anyway. We are going to the UK at the end of April for 6 weeks (a research and speaking trip for me) so that is a big motivation. Although I will probably need a wheelchair to get around most places, I will be much more comfortable – especially on the plane – and healthier. So my plan is to stay on the BSD until we leave. Even now my taste buds have changed so much it’s hard to imagine I will go back to lots of carbs (but intending to have a Devonshire tea!).
    Love the idea of “naturally low in calories” Nancy. The things I think of as meeting that description are lettuce and celery!!
    Thanks to you all for being here – makes it so much easier.
    Chrissie

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Thisisit yourpost made me laugh thank you ! I think the fat fairy has lived in my house for years ! I have lost a lot of weight in the past and gained it back. Now I’m 61 I feel this is my last chance to get slim while I’m still young enough to enjoy life. Right now I don’t do what I would like to do because of my size. I had a difficult divorce a few years ago and need to move on from it, I’m hoping the weight loss will give me the confidence to finally do that.

I am half way through week 4 and I have lost 9lbs. That is quite good for me, I don’t lose weight easily. I’m sticking to 800 cals a day, although sometimes a bit over and sometimes a bit under, it works out under on average. I have not had any alcohol, because it would derail me. To be honest lack of wine on a night out is the hardest part.

My weight has stuck and even gone up in the last few days, despite sticking to the diet and going swimming. I know it’s not possible to have gained weight, so it must be fluctuations. I’m hoping for a big whoosh down very soon. I have 60lbs to lose, so the 8 weeks will only give me a little start, the eating plan has to be long term. I’m planning to do 800 on two days a week after the 8 weeks, with 1200 on the other days. I’m feeling a bit fed up as my clothes are all still the same size, just a bit looser that’s all. Measurements on the hips are the same. I have lost a bit from bust and waist, but not much, maybe half an inch. Very very slow !

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Nancy, Chrissie and everyone else who had lost this week. Thisisit thanks so much for making me laugh – I can SO identify with your behaviour on the scales as I do a similar thing ๐Ÿ™‚
    Seasidenana I’m thinking along the same lines as you. I still have over 50lb to lose and obviously this isn’t going to happen in the next 3 weeks… I’m thinking that I could stick to 5 days at 800 and 2 at 1000-1200 quite easily long term.
    And Chrissie how lucky to be going to the UK in April, I can’t wait to go back there (was born there and moved to Australia 36 years ago). Maybe next year..
    And to everyone who like me had small losses last week, every bit counts. A few days ago I made corned silverside for dinner and before I cooked it I trimmed off all visible fat. Out of interest I weighed it, it was 125g. I then realised that it was a sizeable lump of fat – so the weeks I only lose a few hundred grams is still a few hundred grams of fat gone ๐Ÿ™‚
    I love reading these forum posts – always someone I can identify with, and others experiencing similar things, don’t feel quite so alone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by toby101
    on

Laughed out loud at Thisisit!

Well I have done 6 weeks and I am going to officially call it a day. I was pre-diabetic and am now not, I had high blood pressure and now do not. As a 6 foot man I was pretty fat (16 stone 3) now only overweight (14 stone 6) and 4 inches off the belly. My target is 13 stone but I now no longer feel the necessity for such a strict regime and to be honest am starting to feel a bit run down with frequent hunger. While I have only lasted 6 weeks rather than 8 and cheated to a degree (1000 cals on average plus booze at weekends) I consider the diet to have been an outstanding success. I will now switch to a moderately low calorie (1500ish) and low carb (as in avoiding obvious refined carbs like bread rice pots and pasta) until I reach the desired weight and continue to follow the principles to stay there.

Thanks to all on this thread for sharing the journey and best of luck to you all.

on

Toby, Well done! thats amazing, wishing you lots of luck with your next stage of weight loss, and maintenance of lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels, You know where we all are if you need inspiration and support, I think maintenance is always the hardest part for me, so mentally hard not to go, Yay, I reached my goal and now I can relax, please pop back and let us know how you are doing in a few weeks/months.

My plan after reaching goal will be to relax more at weekends (the booze and social food enjoyment) with still really strict weekdays to try and counterbalance.

on

Best of luck Toby and I agree, it would be nice to hear how you are getting on from time to time

I am one of those here for the long haul as I have nearly nine stone (126lb more to shift (that’s a very long term plan of course). We just have remember that any loss is a, sometimes, very small step in the right direction, but it’s still a step closer than we would have if we weren’t following this WOE.

I am deferring any thoughts of maintenance for when I am a lot closer. I have never reached a stage where I have needed to maintain before so that’ll be a new experience.

I find you all very motivating – great support on here, many thanks.

• posted by Theodora
    on

K8, as you say, 126lbs is a lot of weight to shift, but others on here show it can be done, so good luck.

And you mentioning a small step in the right direction reminded me of one of my darling dad’s favourite catch phrases – haven’t thought about it in years, but it is a good one, I think – as children, whenever we were having to try to do something we thought was too difficult, he always told us just to start anyway, because “the smallest step in the right direction could turn out to be the biggest step you ever take in your life” – not a bad adage to live by, and very appropriate for BSDers I think. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well done Dad – been gone for 18 years now, but his good advice lives on ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Thank you Theodora. How wise our parents were!
    K8

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Fastfitness – I have just reported your post as it is advertising and not allowed on this site

• posted by CathyM
    on

Hey January Starters!
    It’s the end of week 5 for me and I’m down another 2 pounds, so a total of 1 stone 2lb. Still heading in the right direction albeit more slowly now. I’ve also lost 5 1/2 in from my waist which I’m thrilled with as this is my problem area.
    I’ve been really strict the whole time, and to be honest I’ve found it fairly easy to stick to up to now. But I had a major wobble mid week when I was preparing sandwiches for my grandchildren’s lunch. The smell of the bread was so tempting I could have eaten the lot right then. I literally had to take a step back and give myself a pep talk. ‘You’re only cheating yourself’ ‘Think of the end goal’ …I only hope I keep listening to myself!
    The only thing that hasn’t stabilised yet (and I’m sorry if this is TMI) is going to the loo. I drink 2-3 litres of water a day and sprinkle chia seeds on yogurt, eggs, salad etc but I can still go a week without a visit to the smallest room. Any suggestions? It can’t be good to have that hanging around the lower intestines for so long!
    Stick with it. I love reading this thread as it gives me so much encouragement to carry on. Everyone is so supportive and positive.

• posted by Tigerjc
    on

I am the same as most people on this forum. I started on the 3rd January when I had to go back to work. I have currently lost 6.4kg just over a stone and really really over the moon.
    My main question is once we have done the 8 week mark – how long would you leave it before starting again?
    Im looking to do the 5.2 in between for approximately 4 weeks then back on it again
    Does this sound about right
    I am so suprised how i have not even wanted the high carbs like bread, potatoes etc but thoroughly enjoying the substitutes I use.
    I love this WOE and web page and get a lot of inspiration from the recipes added on here . So thank you all
    I am not diabetic just doing this for myself still got a way to go but loving it

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I don’t think that there’s a right answer to this. In my case, I felt great after 8 weeks so just carried on, I’d play it by ear and do what feels right for you.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi CathyM – Well done for resisting temptation.

I’m mid-week 5 and, like you, am sticking pretty rigidly to BSD800 and have lost 7.2k. And, also like you, have encountered the same as far as visits to the smallest room are concerned. I probably pay a visit every 4 – 5 days, but certainly don’t “feel” constipated in between, though I feel I should be more regular. I drink about 4 litres a day, use chia seeds etc, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect in this department. I can only assume that, because we are eating less, and FAR less indigestible rubbish, we have less “waste products”? But I shall be interested to hear everyone else’s experiences / tips etc……………..

• posted by Tigerjc
    on

Thankyou Julesmaigret I think i will do that.. feels good why stop can only do good

• posted by Abbado
    on

Well Thursday is my weigh in day and I am please to say at the end of week 3 I have lost 5.5kg. Very happy and well on my way to my 10kg in 8 weeks total. Only part of the weight I need to lose but a great start. I actually brought new scales at the start but now I weigh on both. There can be up to a 2 kg difference but strangely the loss is with in 0.1kg of each other. I don’t know if its ok or not, but occasionally I really need to crunch on something and will have a small papadam cooked the the microwave. Nothing on it but a great crunchy snack. Good luck to everyone.

• posted by CathyM
    on

Hi Theodora

I was wondering that too, about the fact that I’m not eating unnecessary rubbish anymore. No one who knows me can believe that the person who could pretty much polish off a tin of Quality Street at Christmas single handedly has absolutely no desire for chocolate.

So perhaps once a week is the new norm?

• posted by Libbyohno
    on

Hi All,

I have had my first ‘Gain’ on BSD! I moved my weeks around on the excel spread sheet I made so that my “week” runs from Friday – Thursday for the 7 days and weigh day lands on a Thursday instead of the (Dreaded) Sunday Morning! (ps. is this cheating?!)

I noticed that my weight jumps up over weekend (Ha, surprise) and Monday is generally heavy, even though if you look at my week over all it ends with a loss…

So, Tomorrow, judging by my new weekly layout, it is the first day of Week 7!! I gained 1.5lbs this week so will be working hard to shift this. And I am already focused on the idea that the 8 week diet will go on longer for me – I will reach my target however long it takes!

Total Loss to date 17.4lbs

Luck and Hugs to all!!
    Libby

on

CathyM
    Well I have to congratulate you on resisting the bread. Not sure I could have done that. Happily I don’t have to have it in the house, but I have a friend staying this weekend and am hoping she won’t want toast. As for the visits to the bathroom, I have the opposite problem. It is far worse if I do a fast. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have a lot of weight to lose. (One day I won’t have to say that anymore).

TigetJC
    I’m just going to start a new set of 8 weeks at the end of this first set and will continue to do so until I am a twiglet (now that will be the day!!!)

Libby
    You have had a good loss so far overall and everyone seems to have little glitches from time to time. I was static last week. Next week will probably make up for it and you will continue on your downward weight spiral. Best of luck

on

Yay! I did it, I finally broke through the exercise barrier, joined a gym yesterday with my friend from work who is also doing the bsd with me, we both need someone else to motivate us and we have similar schedules with ex’s who have the kids the same alternate weekends with a weekday evening too. So we had our induction, paid our membership worked out for an hour, nearly killed myself and according to fitbit, only burned an extra 350 cals…but hey, that’s 350 cals I wouldn’t otherwise have burned!

Have booked a pilates session for tomorrow and clubbercise for next Tuesday, plus hope to get to the gym on weds afternoon.

2 pounds down this week so far, hoping for another one tomorrow.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi all
    What a week! I’m going into hospital tomorrow for foot surgery. Been very preoccupied and yesterday was a carb car crash! Sandwiches, a pasty, potato wedges and wine. Was going to weigh tomorrow before going in to hospital but too scared!! Had really been looking forward to a bit of toast when I came round but now worried. I’m so close to getting 2 stone off by end of these 8 weeks. If I’ve gained when I next weigh it will make me so down whilst recuperating after the op. And today have been extra hungry . CARBS are the devil !

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

TumTumP
    All the best for tomorrow’s surgery. And I wouldn’t worry about the weight – there may not be much extra weight after the op as often the body puts extra effort into healing. Not that this is a reason to keep attacking carbs, mind you! But we are all human some of the time evwn though there are such shining examples of super special folk on here -yourself included๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Ebs
    on

Hope all goes well with the op TumTum. The temptation of carbs is enormous, my daughter cooked fruit toast yesterday and made half a dozen chocolate muffins, they were sitting on the worktop looking delicious, but I resisted and had an orange instead. Cathy and Theodora, I have always been regular every day infact, this diet has been a real problem for me with regard to going to the loo, even though I drink heaps of water. I have always eaten loads of fruit and think this may be the problem. I eat loads of veggies but still doesnt help. Now on week 8 and have added more fruit, berries, apple, mandarins and fresh figs (in season at the moment) to the diet along with psyllium husk on the fruit and yogurt, hopefully this will help as it is a real problem being constipated and can cause piles. Good luck to everyone.

• posted by gilliah
    on

Hi everyone, I know it is now the end of February but I just joined. Wondering how people are going with their weight loss and blood sugar levels. I started a week ago and have lost 3kg. I am type 2 diabetic and have to have a hip replacement this year and this was all due to me being overweight for so many years, although because I am tall the weight does not seem so bad, but my BMI tells a different story as does my health.

Last week I had day surgery to help with the pain in my hip until I quality with my private medical insurance and my blood sugar levels went crazy, I felt totally sick for the week following the surgery and have only just started seeing the levels coming back down even with sticking strictly to the diet, but at least I am still loosing weight, hopefully the BSL will follow.

I found making up a batch of home made baked beans and taking them to work, keeps you really full and is actually delicious, I also bought a series of small plastic pots, think they are for babies by a very well known plastic company (can’t name them on here) and I put in the little pots yoghurt, nuts, hummus, cut up vegies (cucumber, carrots etc), this makes me feel like I am having much more than I actually have – it is really all in the mind. So now I have given up the wine, lollies (my favourite is jelly lollies) and large portions of anything, it seems to be working.

Will keep you posted but I went from 90.6 to 87kg up to now. I also have a bracelet that records your steps, sleep etc (again can’t say the manufacturer’s name, but you probably know what I am talking about), this keeps me honest and even though my sore hip prevents me exercising as much as I would like, I do try to get my steps up to 5000, hopefully by the end of the year I can be back to doing 10000 again.

Anyway, hope to hear more from you all, keep it up, it is worth the effort and really works ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Gilliah – glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better after your day surgery last week and that your blood sugars are dropping.

I have bought quite a lot of small plastic screw top pots and have found exactly the same as you have – because the pots are fairly small it makes me feel that I am eating a lot because the pots look quite full. They are also stackable so don’t take up a lot of space in the cupboard.

I also find my Fitbit invaluable. I have lost count of the times that it has made me put on my coat and do just one more walk to reach my 10K steps goal when I really would have liked to sit and read a book or just felt too tired or lazy to walk.

P.S.: I think that we can mention products that we have found helpful to us as long as we are not selling them or have any connections to the company that makes them. I often report posts that are blatantly using this site to advertise another diet plan but giving advice on say – which food logging app people find easier to use is ok and very helpful. I would never have found fat secret if it wasn’t for this forum.

on

yay, new official weigh in day at the end of the week feels much better, so have now lost 1.5 stone/21 pounds/9.5 kg since the 9th January

3 pounds this week, I am 2/3 to goal, hopefully with the new gym membership, I can up the rate of loss, or at least inches loss, if not weight. unlike others i don’t seem to have lost as many inches, only 3.5 from round my waist, 1.5 to go to get to the ‘safe’ recommended 31.5″

Happy weekend everyone, my friday night includes a pilates session followed by taking the kids to the pub for dinner, and it will definitely involve a large glass of wine!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Weigh in this morning week six and I have lost 1.75 lbs bringing my six week total to 14 lbs i.e. One stone! Not as great as some weight losses on here for but me a massive achievement as I don’t lose weight easily. I had to buy myself some new work trousers this week in a size 14 as my work trousers were looking ridiculous! My jeans are all sagging at the bum too so it shows where the weight has come off. I am going to Harrogate for two nights at the end of week eight and am apprehensive about eating out. It’s difficult being vegetarian and low carb to find something suitable. Breakfasts will be fine!! Once I get back I will start phase 2 of my three stone weight loss plan. If I can lose one stone every eight weeks then I should be at goal by my June summer holiday. Wow that would be great!

I have loved being part of this January thread and would never have imagined that I would be at least one stone lighter by the end of my first eight weeks. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. This beats going to a diet club hands down- we have our own diet club here and it’s fantastic! Good luck everyone.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi Clarinet Cathy well done on your weight loss. I’m really relieved to read your story as some people seem to be losing huge amounts and I’m not. It’s good to know that others are experiencing a more steady loss. This is still a great achievement and in the right direction. I have just completed 4 weeks and have lost 9.6 lbs. my weight has “stuck” this week and I’ve only lost 0.2lbs. It has gone up and down a bit even though I have stuck to the diet. I was really hoping to hit 10lbs today ! I’m going to Spain in 7 weeks time, so really want to be a size smaller by then. I have bought some incentive clothes to take, so if I don’t do it, there will be a problem ha ha !

Keep going all you January starters with a slower loss. We will get there in the end, although it’s going to take longer. I have 60lbs to lose, with mini goals to break this up, first target is in April for my holiday. Fingers crossed.

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi all, can anyone help? I have just done 4 weeks and for the last two days I have felt really awful, incredibly tired. I have been sleeping a lot. I’m on the BSD 800. My carbs are usually under 30g but always under 50g. I’m eating plenty of fat within my 800. I sometimes go to 850, but balanced by days at 750 ish. I do think I’m maybe not drinking enough water. I have read up on “carb flu” and I’m hoping this will pass soon. Any thoughts please ?

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi ClarinetCathy

Well done. I too am losing slowly but surely. I’m doing the med plan rather than 800. I have been in Harrogate whilst eating BSD. Had to eat out for a week with work. I even went to the infamous Bettys and managed to eat relatively BSD friendly. Also had delicious food at the Orchid. Again I ordered BSD friendly and they were so accommodating (I ordered veggie that night) Had omelettes for breakfast or variant thereof. Enjoy.

on

Clarinetcathy- whoop whoop, a stone is a great milestone to hit, and would you have achieved it on any other diet?

Brilliant you are buying a size smaller too, I need to go to my mums to get back some clothes I had loaned her that were too small for me as I should be getting back into some of them by now.

How’s your inches loss going? And are you doing exercise? Maybe some of you who have slower losses are gaining muscle which is heavier, therefore the scales aren’t the best form of measure?

I am wondering now I have started at the gym whether the loss will slow. End of week 6 for me. So hoping to lose another 7 pounds in the next 2 weeks and make my 2 stone target, this will so make it all worthwhile. But I know it could go either way, I might only lose 2. Just have to remain positive that it is going down and will Continue to while I stick to it.

2 egg omlette with Parma ham and a grating of cheddar cheese for brunch, a whole pot of coffee with milk (I resent the amount of cals in milk as I love my coffee and tea, but afternoons and evenings now chamomile tea)

Dinner will be steak and mushrooms with kale and a garlic and wine cream sauce plus half a bottle of wine. At least I am now drunk on 2 glasses of wine, makes things easier!

Half term for me and kids so busy doing lots of things. Happy weekend everybody x

on

Seasideanna- I think carb flu usually hits in the first week as it is the withdrawal to sugar, so seems unlikely you could be feeling it now, you could just be coming down with something else? Sounds like you should up your carbs for a day give yourself a break, but try not to go for simple sugars, if you are ill you may need more easy access energy for your body to fight it? Saw a nice looking recipe online for banana and egg pancakes….simply that, mashed banana with whisked eggs, cooked like pancakes served with strawberries and yogurt or bacon? Take care of yourself xxx

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

HI everyone and happy weekend!

SeasideAnna I wonder if you need more salt? I know this has helped me on the occasions where I’ve felt weak and weary!

I’m in my 6th week but doing a bit of a combination of strict 800 during the week and relaxing it a bit at weekends. As others have said though, even on days when I’m not being as strict I just don’t want to stuff my face any more! At the beginning of the diet I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to stick to it – and also that even if I did I might not lose weight – but I have found it surprisingly easy and plan to stick with my regime till I’m at my target weight. I’ve lost a stone already and have another one and half to go, and will just keep going till I get there ๐Ÿ™‚ I am enjoying the new WOE so it doesn’t feel like a chore – I honestly have no more cravings for bread or cakes or anything sugary. I do have the occasional glass or two of wine on my relaxed days but even then am not knocking it back as I used to. Seems like someone else has taken over my brain!

Hear what you’re all saying about weight just being numbers too. Even though I still have more to lose I definitely look slimmer and my clothes are looser. Hooray!! More than that I feel well and also feel slim in my head – so even though I still have a way to go to my target weight I’m enjoying the journey. It had got to the point just before I started the diet where I was the heaviest I had ever been, had hardly anything nice that fitted me any more and just hated seeing myself in the mirror. So I’m feeling much more positive – this forum really helps!

Re the thread about constipation etc this hit me too about a week ago. I think we probably just need to drink a lot more as we get further on in the diet – I guess if there’s not as much going in it needs more help getting out ๐Ÿ˜‰ I did some research last week about how the weight actually does leave your body as I realised I had no idea. Was amazed to find it’s mostly through your lungs – who knew?! So I confess to a bit of sneaky panting and blowing when no-one’s around!!! Hey maybe someone else really has taken over my brain!

Well done everyone for doing so well – and keep going even on the bad days: we’re all here for each other!

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Weigh in on this fresh morning in Melbourne

Start Jan 1 93.1kgs

Now. 84.4 kgs. Total Loss. 8.9kg. 19.5lbs

Waist round button of me Belly

Start. 110cm

Now. 99cm. Loss. 11cm. 4.3inch

I’m 5′ 11″” or 180cm. Aged 49 male

I’m not T2 but probably would have been in 5-10 years time

I have not exercised and I average 8000 steps a day with my office job

I may exercise soon as weight coming off is helping my osteo arthritic knees a fair bit
    My 9 year old plays tennis 5x a week so I’m on the court a lot hitting back to her or collecting balls in her lessons lol

Next week is my last week so I am so determined to make it to 83kg

That will be 10kg loss

I currently weigh less than I have in 20 years

I have nearly finished a great read in That Sugar Book which follows up That Sugar Film

Incredible read and will change you more than the 8 week BSD book
    Damon Gameau – buy it Asap

I have certainly not followed the 800 every day
    I would say. 800 x 2. 1000 x 2. 1250 x 2 and a wine induced 1600 x1

My BIGGEST loss was in first 2 weeks also coincided with 800 x 14

800 is 800 and that’s my mantra for next 7 days as I try and see if truly sticking to the 800 x 7 gives a great result 7 weeks in with this plateau thing in the background

I am totally delighted with the 8.9kg loss and the 11cm as I am new belt shopping today

Also my Blood Pressure is down amazingly and my resting pulse as I type is about 53 which is a result as well with No Exercise

Suppose looking at the last week I think the education and impact of no sugar is incredible

Our cupboards are just about empty of processed foods and my 2 kids are slowly being weened off crap

Yesterday my wife made ‘ I can’t believe it’s Broccoli Soup’ from Damons great recipes

I can tell you now that it is incredible

She also made eggs spinach and tomato wrapped in bacon baked in muffin cases in the oven. They were an instant hit for all except me as I don’t eat meat.

So hats off to all the tryers out there and here’s to next week weigh in

Malbourne

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

I thought you may all be amused to hear my exercise story. I struggle to walk very far as I have MS, but I’m also very unfit and overweight. I need to exercise in addition to the diet. My friend suggested I get a rowing machine, and it arrived on Friday. I am an absolute dunce at assembling things, but was determined to make sense of all the nuts and bolts and instructions. Among the reviews on the website, people were claiming they had put it together by themselves in 30-60 minutes so I thought maybe 2 hours for me ?

Anyway, it took me 40 minutes just to get it out of the box ! It is very heavy and it was securely packed. I was tearing my hair out trying to assemble it, taking each step one at a time and trying not to get overwhelmed. After 2 hours I had managed to get most of it assembled, but could not get the last bolt in. I finally gave up and left it until Saturday. After struggling with it for another half hour, I decided to tap it gently with a rolling pin ! It went in after that and I was able to finish the assembly off within another 15 minutes and set up the computer. Phew !

My exercise journey begins ! I only managed 10 minutes on the first day as I was exhausted enough assembling the flipping thing ๐Ÿ˜‚. I’m going to do 15 minutes a day, building to 30 minutes. I’m also doing a gentle exercise DVD. I’m keen to know if this exercise helps my weight and inch loss. I currently do no exercise really so must build up slowly. I will report in after a week to let you know if it has made any difference.

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Oh that made me laugh! But seriously, you have done heaps of exercise (especially cardio) just assembling the damn thing. I hope it works well for you. Does it take up lots of room? I have been thinking of an exercise bike but don’t really have the space. I need both knees replaced but I am too young and too fat so I am trapped by my own weight and pain in terms of exercise. Very frustrating. But this morning’s weigh in was 9.5kgs down. 20kgs to go! Tomorrow begins week 6 but I think I will stay on this WOE as long as I can. I have eaten out a few times and by ordering fish or veal, not eating it all, not eating the potatoes or carbs and drinking lots of bubbly water I have stayed under 800 every day except one. I’m pretty proud of that!
    Could not have done it without the support of this group. So happy to have “met” you all!

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi Chrissie63 I bought a folding machine and hoped it would fit in a cupboard. It is much bigger and heavier than I imagined, so it will have to live in the corner most of the time. At least it folds. I have arthritis in both knees, so this is a good solution for me as it puts no strain on the joints. I can feel it pulling on my stomach muscles already, so I hope it will help reduce my tummy and also strengthen my legs.

• posted by ShrinkMe81
    on

Hi all.

W5D2 here and I’m into the next stone bracket – hurray! 13st something for the first time in years. I’m now in the moderately obese BMI category, which doesn’t sound like something to celebrate really but it’s a big improvement! Another pound will take me to 1 and a half stones off so far so I’m really happy with that.

I’m inspired by your rowing machine wrestling Seasidenana ๐Ÿ˜‚ nice to be able to exercise at home though, you can put on some music or a DVD and relax in privacy. I’m struggling with the exercise side of things a bit – I go mountain biking once or twice a week for a couple of hours max, and I walk a fair bit, but I could do with something more regular. I must I must …

Anyway, off in to work for a bit but hopefully it’ll be quiet enough for an afternoon cook up for the coming week. Soup for lunches and a big pot of stew for tonight’s dinner.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

End of Week 5 update from me, only 200g loss this week, which is a bit disappointing. I think the steroids I have to take every day may be affecting weight loss as I kept to 800 cals most days last week, except for 1 where I had a 1000. Am re-reading the book this week and trying to re-focus. I’ve lost 3.7kg in 5 weeks, but was really hoping to lose 8kg in the 8 weeks, which means I have 3 weeks to lose 4.3kg. I am certainly going to try!

• posted by meg71
    on

Hi.
    It’s great to read everyone’s progress. It’s challenging changing a lifetime of thinking on food. I fell off the wagon last week. Had a rotten tummy bug, which the kids then came down with and this all coincided with hubby being away for 3 days. So needless to say diets were the last thing on my mind. But i’m sitting comfortably at 74 kg, down from 81.8kg, which still has me overweight according to bmi. apparently i need to get down to 72, but i’m ok where i am. have a fitting for a new work uniform on wednesday, so if that’s not motivation to maintain my weight, i don’t know what is!!
    I have been using the fitness pal to track my food but have stopped as i was starting to focus on the calories of everything a bit too much. I could see how easy it would be to really whittle down my eating to not very much. i understand a lot of folk with anorexia use myfitnesspal and i can see why. So i have pulled back on that for the time being.
    I have noticed my thighs are a lot less dimply, even my 10 yr old son has commented. I am tempted to try on some clothes from the back of the wardrobe but don’t want to be disappointed if they don’t fit yet. I cleaned out the closet of a lot of things i thought i’d never fit again but now wishing i had kept them.
    Not quite sure about where to from here. I’ve found the 800 so manageable, i’m almost tempted to keep going, but feel for my head space i need to move on from here. Interested in 16:8, which is quite do able when the shifts are manic (public maternity hospital, when arent they manic!!) or 5:2. Have to muse on that. As i’m not a huge meat eater, and cant do dairy, i need to play with my options a bit to find out my right level. Anyhow, off to sort out the washing. Good luck everyone. it’s been fun travelling with you all!!

• posted by Ebs
    on

Hi All Ebs here tomorrow is the last day of our 8 week diet, between hubby and I we have lost 14 kilos in the 8 weeks which is amazing. Chris has gone from a size 36 to a 33 trousers. He hasn’t been this size since a teenager and he has just had his 72nd birthday. I have really enjoyed the food, the recipes are great, I plan the menu for the week and buy all the ingredients in one go. All our meals are from the BSD book and the BSD recipe book. I dont like pasta or rice, bread cakes etc give me cronic indigestion, I am not celiac and have tried gluten free but still indigestion. Since being on this diet no problems which is fantastic the reflux everyday has been awful for years, no longer need to take anything to control it. There are so many plus’ I feel healthy, fit and I can fit into a size 10 from a 14, I am only 5ft 3″ and a small body frame. We intend sticking to the diet but increasing the portion size, as we love the food so much. I have recommended the diet to heaps of my friends, one of which has bought the book but is just about to go through chemo so she isn’t in the right head space at the moment, but being 30 kilos over weight will give it a go later. The other friend is just about to start 20 kilos over weight and also Type 2 diabetic. Well good luck to everyone, keep supporting each other, this forum has been great and a wonderful support for me.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Ebs ๐Ÿ™‚ how wonderful you have both done so well and are inspiring others.
    Wishing you continued good health ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Juliet
    on

Wow Ebs – really well done! Fantastic that your health has improved so much and you’ve found solutions to ongoing problems. Reading this and all the other posts – struggles and all – is so inspiring.

Well I’m on Week 7 Day 1 and have just weighed in at a loss of 1 stone!! I’m so delighted and it will take me the rest of the day to actually get this new weight in my head and all that it means in relation to my next target, keeping motivated etc. I have had flu so hope I’m not going to see an increase, but only weigh once a week now which has helped enormously as I’m focussing on other changes I see and feel, rather than numbers (which I’ve never liked anyway! ) I am now well into my healthy weight range – haven’t been this weight for 10 years – and panicking slightly about how to stay here, as I still have sugar cravings. These next 2 weeks I think I’ll try and focus hard on making meals from the BSD Recipe book that all the family can eat and that I enjoy, to try and build them into our eating habits before I start trying to maintain.

The future does worry me as any time I’ve lost weight in the past it’s gone back on in no time. Is there anyone out there who has done the 8 weeks and has found a good way of maintaining long term? I could carry on with the current WOE but I suspect it’s designed to be 8 weeks for a reason?

Anyway – it’s Monday – fresh start for us all, well done January starters, let’s keep up the amazing work : )

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, Ebs and Juliet – fantastic results for both of you.

Ebs, it must be great to be able to do BSD together – my o/h is one of those truly annoying people who never stop eating (anything and everything) and drinking, and yet never puts on an ounce – been together nearly 50 years and he still weighs the same as when we met! To be fair, he is being quite supportive of me doing BSD as long as he doesn’t have to go without. He still expects all his normal carbs etc, but will have a beer with his supper (which won’t tempt me) instead of opening a bottle of wine (which would!)

Anyway, week 6, day 1 for me today, and I seem to have plateaued again – came home from holiday last Tuesday to the unexpected surprise that I had lost a creditable 3.5lbs whilst away (not bad considering we seemed to spend half the 10 day holiday eating and drinking) but, sadly have only lost 0.5lbs since ๐Ÿ™

I was hoping to lose 28lbs in the 8 weeks, and so far only 17lbs have gone, so that target is looking way out of reach, at least in this first round of 8, as I only have 2 weeks left, but I shall keep on keeping on, and in fact I am now hoping to lose a total of 32lbs (but am saying that quietly as I don’t want to frighten the Whoosh Fairy away ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hmmm, just posted in this thread, but it seems to have disappeared! ๐Ÿ™

I’ll try again! Well done Ebs and Juliet, fantastic results both of you.

Ebs, it must be great to be doing BSD together. My o/h is one of those truly annoying people who can eat and drink whatever he likes (and, believe me, he does!!!) without putting on an ounce. We have been together for nearly 50 years and he still weighs the same as the day we met! To be fair, though, he is supportive of me doing BSD as long as he doesn’t have to go without, so I cook 2 meals most evenings – and he always has 3 courses! He does, however, make the concession of having a beer with his supper (which won’t tempt me) rather than opening a bottle of wine (which would).

Anyway, Day 1, Week 6 for me, I have lost a total of 17lbs, but I am sorry to report that I seem to have plateaued again! I came home from a 10 day holiday last Tuesday to the lovely and unexpected surprise that I had lost 3.5lbs whilst away ๐Ÿ™‚ Not bad considering we seemed to spend half the holiday eating and drinking! However, since then – and despite the fact that I have been sticking religiously to BSD800, and doing 16/8 to boot, I have only lost 0.5lbs which is rather disappointing.

I was hoping to lose a total of 28lbs in the 8 weeks but, as I only have 2 weeks left, this is looking way out of reach, in this round at least. But I shall keep on keeping on until I reach my target. In fact, I have now decided to make my target 32lbs, but I am whispering that as I don’t want to frighten the lovely Whoosh Fairy away ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope everyone has a good BSD day, and well done everyone, whether losing or not – it is the trying to take control that counts.

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi All

As a newbie of 1 week and 1 day, I have been following your thread with interest. I started reading from the beginning and then couldn’t stop! Well done to all of you, you have done so well and you have been very supportive of each other. I lost 6lbs in week 1 which I am delighted about and now I just have 15lbs to lose. I have found following the diet pretty easy. I don’t have breakfast and start eating at lunch time following the 16:8 fasting regime. It works really well for me as breakfast has always just made me feel hungrier. I am still exercising doing 3 spinning classes and some weights (I find weights so dull) and I have been fine. As the weather gets lighter I will also do more cycling and kayaking too. My aches and pains in my knees have improved and I’m hoping my sleep will too at some point. I struggle to do the 10,000 steps as my job is very sedentary, although the frequent loo visits do help a little! I’m not diabetic but getting near retirement and I want to make sure I am as fit as possible so I can do the activities I love as long as possible. I love chocolate and cake but I know this is not the way to go health wise. Luckily I also love healthy food which is a bonus. Thanks for inspiring me as you have. I feel sad that some of you are coming to the end of you 8 weeks as I guess this thread will get quieter however I am of course delighted for you too. jackie.

Please log in or register to post a reply.