Starting in January 2017 – Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Hi everyone,
    So good to read all your posts. I am feeling really down today. I have stuck strictly to the whole diet, Day 2 week 4 and my scales say I have put on 1.5kgs. I have a lot to lose (30kgs at least) so this is so disheartening. Normally, I would eat something yummy if I feel down so this feels really bad. I am not going to eat something bad because that won’t fix anything but feeling like this is terrible with no comfort. And I’m too ashamed to ring anyone.
    Thanks for being there

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Chrissie, don’t despair!
    This has happened to me countless times. I can go up 1 1/2 kg overnight! Then it literally vanishes a day or two later. But this is one of those times you have to look assessingly at what’s going on. There’s no way you have put on 1.5 kg if you have been following the plan, it’s just not possible. So it’s probably water weight, that sucker can hang on like grim death! It’s happened to heaps of us. Just keep going, check carbs are at 50g cals at 800 and drink heaps of water. You WILL lose! Bodies are weird and they all have their own rhythm, plus I think they panic a little as they try and work out how to now get fuel but you will be ok. Also remember your insides are getting healthier by the day, so that’s a great feeling to keep close to you if the scales are being unreasonable.
    It’s great you are not reaching for comfort food, so you have just put yourself ahead! Read that as a victory and immediately go and drink a glass of water and picture it flushing out the fat! Best of luck and hope to hear done good news soon! X

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hello Chrissie63

Please don’t be so down on yourself today – I’m really sorry you’re feeling like this – it’s horrid for you.

I’m only on my third week – but I know that I’ve always had problems with having the same food each breakfast and similar things at other meals too repetitively – for some reason I wonder if our bodies just get used to those particular foods and it doesn’t kickstart the metabolism in the same way as a lot of variety. I love my porridge in the morning but I’m trying to make much more effort to eat something different each morning and vary my meals as much as possible. I don’t know whether this will help you at all.

I suppose you haven’t been doing too much exercise for your calorie intake – and your body thinks it’s in a famine!!!

I’m trying to make the weight loss secondary to feeling healthier this time but that desire to lose the extra i can be more motivating than our good health sometimes.

I actually feel much less up and down mood wise – not so stressed since on this way of eating – are you finding that too? Plus more energy – I think – although it’s hot here today but the sun is shining and the sky is blue.

Hope Christie tomorrow will be far better for you in every way………

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi Chrissie63 as another poster said, it isn’t possible for you to have actually gained weight, but there are fluctuating levels of water and waste in your body, the scales will go down. I don’t know if it would help you, but in an earlier post a few days ago I described a strategy I’m using to keep me on track. I have a diary on my iPad to record how I’m feeling each day as well as weight etc. This helps to express feelings, but also good to look back on previous entries to establish patterns. I have also uploaded photographs of myself at different weights to remind me of what I’m going to achieve. I have also packed away all clothes which don’t fit, ready for when I do fit them ! The very act of doing this is quite therapeutic so not a chore. Keep going, we are all in the same boat !

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Re an earlier post on this thread, It’s important that we remember that MM is adamant that there is no scientific evidence of a famine effect from dieting. If we are following the BSD we are all aiming to exercise more than our calorie intake. Both for weight loss and for those of us with diabetes, to reset our pancreas etc.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Seasidenana: wish I’d thought of taking photos. It’s a brilliant idea and looking back on progress would be real motivation to keep on track during periods of temptation!

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good morning,

end of week 5 round 2 and I’m extremely happy to report a 2.3kg drop, I haven’t seen a number like that since the very beginning. However, cynically, I expect the scales to shoot up again tomorrow. That’s weight loss for you!

Chrissie63: I really feel for you but as others have said stick with it! On 800 calories you’re bound to lose weight. I seem to retain water very easily and can go up a kilo overnight.

• posted by Marion53
    on

Hi Everyone, Regarding dress size – I think each body is different. I’ve only lost 5lbs, most of them from my legs it seems. I’m still size20 on top. Also sizes vary from manufacturer to another and even countries. Even when I was a mere 91/2 stones my top was a bigger than my bottom and a skirt fitted nicely round the hips but not round the waist. Designers label their clothes different. UK,US and European sizing are completely different. I learnt pattern cutting(many moons ago) and size 14 was 36ins(91cms) round the bust. Imagine the famous size 0. A baby. So I think best not to get too hung up about the Size . It’s only a number. Let’s concentrate on how well we feel.
    M

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Angela06 my diary also has photos of me in the past when I was slimmer to help me visualise how nice I can look if I stick with it.

• posted by Jacks
    on

Good morning. Just a couple of comments from recent posts:

Weight loss vs dress size: perhaps it depends what shape your body is? If you carry weight mainly around your hips, weight loss is likely to come from that area and perhaps it’s quicker to drop a dress size. If you carry it all over (like me) then it will come off from all over and might take longer.

Apples: I’ve been using the BSD cookery book and there are several apple recipes in there. The apple and cinnamon porridge is a favourite but does carry 46g of carb. So I only have it 2-3 times a week and ensure I’m majority protein the rest of the day. Blueberries are also a fave of mine which I have with Greek yogurt and seeds.

I’m into week 6 and 18lbs down which I’m really pleased with including inches off my waist. It’s not as dramatic as others but I’m delighted with the results and in it for the longer term. I’m now able to wear 2 pairs of jeans I bought as ‘incentive’ purchases and have to wear a smaller belt.

Thanks as always for your encouragement everyone – it keeps me motivated and I enjoy reading your posts,
    Jacks

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi Chrissie63
    Oh bless you. I think we all have had those moments of despair. I’ve had a horrible day at work so was very tempted to have chocolate or wine. I’m also away on a work trip so eating whatever I can find in Marks andSpencer. They have LOTS of yummy things. What stopped me was thinking of my next mini targets. Rather than just weight, I’ve got targets on waist measurement, BMI, getting into nextstone. Perhaps you need to give yourself some mini targets of various types ? That way it’s less overwhelming-I’ve 4 stone to shift (5 if I want a ‘healthy ‘ BMI) on days like today it feels like a non achievable dream. But my mini 2lb goal feels doable. You’ve done the hard bit by starting the diet and that makes you amazing. Much love xxx

• posted by ScarletCat
    on

Just a check-in for my weekly weigh-in. 2.4lbs this week. Down to 250.4lb. Many miles to go but within sniffing distance of under 250lbs for the first time in quite some time. 17lb lost since start of November. I’m going slow but steady.

Blood pressure was in the normal range for the first time since I started!

I feel a bit sheepish as I’m not being strict as many of you are and know I could do better but need to take this at my own pace. I’m getting results and I’m not being tempted to eat the fridge! Need to focus on mindfulness in the next week for me. Stress about everything and reaching for the wine glass are my biggest failings.

Love all the posts, gets me through the day!
    Scarlet

• posted by Chrissie63
    on

Oh, thank you all for being so kind to me. I really was so sad yesterday, spent half the day crying BUT, importantly, I didn’t break the diet and just eat anything! And that is a first for me. Part of the motivation is that the sugar withdrawal was so awful I don’t want to have to do it again!! We went and saw a performance by the Cologne Chamber Orchestra last night and I saved some calories to have coffee after – which was a real treat and didn’t even need sugar in it (used to have 2 spoons). Small temptation to have a florentine but it was quite easy to overcome – again, a first for me. I’m not one to resist very hard! And 2 weeks not needing insulin is a big motivator too. I am not going to weigh myself again until I go back to the dietican on the 25th (she says – bet I do tho!). Thank you again, Inka, Suannah, Seasidenana, & TumTum especially, but all of you for being available and being caring. The support is amazing and really helps.
    Big Hugs xxxxx

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Chrissie – You managed your food temptations so brilliantly even though you had an upset day – good for you. Isn’t it amazing that coffee without sugar can actually be a treat – it used to be whatever went with the coffee was the treat ! The Cologne Chamber Orchestra would have been fabulous and broken that distressed and sad feeling too.
    How well you’ve done not needing insulin anymore that must absolutely be the most huge motivation for you -. And such a turnaround.
    Hope your day today will be a happy and sunny one!

• posted by Ebs
    on

Weigh in was yesterday, no loss, oh! well must have plateaued like others. My husband and I are in week 7, he had a big loss last week of just over a kilo, despite the fact that I found half a bar of Cadbury’s milk chocolate in his sock drawer when putting away his washing, I was tempted to eat a small square, but resisted, well done me. Must question him about this tonight! The plan is to stick strictly to the diet and increase the exercise over the next 2 weeks, as Michelle Bridges says the last 5 ks are the most difficult to loose, she even published a book about it. Good luck everyone and stay motivated, particularly those living in the Northern hemisphere, it is much harder for you as food is fuel and helps to keep you warm.

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Hi guys
    When we look back at pages 1-4 of this thread there is no mention of slip ups or sneaky wines or bad days etc

Everyone was totally on the ball in the zone

Myself included I think we need to re focus and have at least 2 full weeks of what we did in the first 2 weeks and I know we will see a better result

I’m still motivated but this 8 weeks programme is realistically becoming 12-14 weeks to get the goal I want lol

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

GetyourCarbon –

I probably wasn’t on pages 1-4 as I started on 9th Jan, and I wouldn’t call them slip ups personally, as I did always plan to adapt this WOE to work for me from the beginning. I am at the top BMI end of overweight and wishing to beat the sugar/carb addiction that was threatening to take over!

But I would agree with the sentiment that as I have progressed through the initial weeks I have relaxed even more.

Having now got to 2 days into week 5 and I am now (back to) the same weight as this time last week, I totally agree that if I want to continue the great progress I made at the beginning, and not regain all I have lost each weekend, then I need to be stricter.

we can all do it, long term or short, we are in control. I am back to drinking lots of fizzy water, just 2 coffees with milk per day and the rest chamomile tea, also 2 brazil nuts taste amazing when you are starving, only have 2 max per day though!

thanks all for the comments, it is great to be part of a group all experiencing this at the same time.

• posted by meg71
    on

HI. Been away from the computer for a wee while. Had plateaued around 76, but last few days have noted a drop again with the scales reaching the amazing number of 74.9!! I cant remember the last time i was at this end of the scale. I sat down with friends for dinner last night and had a roast chicken dinner. Did note though that i ate a lot less to reach my 8 (thinking of a scale of 1 really hungry— 10 stuffed full) than previously. And hubby has started quietly adjusting his meals and is very proud of his progress.
    Good luck to all. Hopefully we are heading in the homeward straight now!!

• posted by CathyM
    on

Hey January Starters!
    It’s my 4 week weigh in today and I’ve lost exactly a stone which I’m thrilled about, but more importantly I’ve lost 5 inches from my waist. I’ve not changed a dress size but because I tend to store fat round my middle and I’m quite tall it means that I could usually disguise it. But now my clothes are certainly fitting better.
    Checking my BMI, I’m now technically ‘overweight’ rather than ‘obese’ so heading in the right direction. 2.5 stone more should get me into the acceptable range.
    This is the most determined I’ve ever been to make a diet work for life and I really enjoy reading this thread and how encouraging everyone is. So thank you all for posting.

• posted by toby101
    on

Hi all

Just wanted to say I empathise with those who are stalling. I made great progress in first 4 weeks but since then I have pretty much flat-lined. I am continuing to do what I have done from day 1 – around 1000 calories (800 too little for me to make it doable) no refined carbs and some relaxation for wine at the weekends. However, my body shape seems to be changing (frustratingly my chest is getting scrawny faster than my belly is reducing) and am sure weight will start coming off again. I know I use up around 2500 calories a day so I don’t see how it cannot!

• posted by Ebs
    on

Just wanted to say how delicious the recipes are in both the BSD and the cookbook. My hubby and I were remarking today, that if we had not taken this journey we would never have experienced such flavoursome food. Its great to experiment with herbs and spices, cauliflower rice is a fantastic substitute for rice, mushrooms in place of breadcrumbs are fantastic and who would have thought that chia seeds were so versatile. Not only are we loosing weight, our taste buds are once more coming alive and appreciating good wholesome food and my blood sugar levels are gradually improving.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Ebs….that is exactly what my husband and I have said. I have a Diet Doctor recipe in the oven, just 6carbs a portion (salmon quiche).
    I don’t think we have eaten so well.

on

Question…apologies if this is the wrong place, but does anyone here know the answer?

I have a fitbit charge hr. Which has a pretty accurate heart rate monitor, I have had it for about 18 months, and I know my usual resting heart rate is 63/64, but during December when I really gained a lot of weight (about 10 pounds) and became more sedentary, I have noticed it crept up to 69/70 but as soon as I started this diet my heart rate has dropped initially back to usual rate but now, into week 5 and it’s 56/57. Is this to do with weight loss, or something else?

Associated with this I have mentioned before how I have not yet managed to do any additional exercise, other than a few half hour walks at lunch time, today I finally broke through the mental barrier and got my treadmill out and started with a 13 minute walk, speed 6, and incline 4% so fast, my heart rate got up to about 130, all good, but started to feel really dizzy, so stopped earlier than planned, But at least I have finally broken that resistance to doing anything at home. I am committing to doing 10000 steps per day as a minimum from now on. I want the scales to be showing a few more pounds off by Monday and I have a social meal out on Saturday night which is going to test my boundaries a lot!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My heart rate dropped drastically as well, into the sub 50 ‘not normal’ band at times, although it has now settled at low 50’s. I saw some speculation that the low carb diet side effect causes the bodies retained sodium to be lost so causing the lower heart rates.

• posted by Libbyohno
    on

Hi All,

Happy Friday to everyone, I hope you are all doing well and getting the results that you want!

I am looking forward to this weekend, another Sunday of batch cooking. I am also going to try and keep of the Alcohol, or at least try to keep it to two Gin&Tonics only (56 Cals and 0g carbs for 25ml of gin!)

Weekends, specifically Friday and Saturday Nights are my biggest downfall! I have been a steady 14st 10 lbs for a while because the weekend caught me off guard but this week i dropped to 14st 5lbs and i am desperate not to go up again!!

I swapped milk for Soya this week as 100mls is only 39 cals with 2.5g carbs and have been eating more pickles and salad as a snack instead of nuts.

Has anyone learnt of any helpful swaps that have worked for them as a weight loss boost after stalling? I would love to hear about them ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks,
    Libby

• posted by SusannahD
    on

I so agree about the interesting and tasty foods – I’m quite mad about those chia seeds – made a delish chia pudding just with coconut milk – made the night before – mixed with fruit for breakfast – surprisingly sustaining!

• posted by Jess_Indeedy
    on

Hi There,

My 4 week weigh in yesterday and despite my Japan based blip, super happy to report a 1 stone and 3lb loss and 9 cms off my waist! Super pleased so far, and now intending to step it up for the next 4 weeks with exercise in the hope that this continues.
    I have found this week I’ve been a lot more tired and quite achey – not sure if this is leftover jet lag or related to BSD. Also found I have very achey legs, but have seen a few salt based cures for this on here so will try adding more salt to things.

Snack wise, have you tried apple slices spread with crunchy peanut butter? Very filling, good fats and not very high in calories or carbs. I’ve mentioned it before but I find a few squares of green & blacks goes a long way too when you want that instant hit, also options cadburys hot chocolate is only 38 calories when made with water and is actually very nice! I’ve been using this in the evenings if I’ve still felt hungry.

Does anybody have any tips for making sure the remaining 4 weeks are a success? Also have many people continued past 8 weeks to get to their goal? I still have 2 stone to lose – ideally 2.5 so am thinking of continuing before going onto maintenance.

Jess x

• posted by Seasidenana
    on

Hi Jess what an amazing loss well done. I’m on week 3 with 8.6 lbs off. Nothing like yours and others with huge losses, but I’m very pleased. I have never once cheated by the way. I have another 60 lbs to lose, so after the 8 weeks is up I’m going to do the 800 on two days a week (Monday and Tuesday) and1200 the other days. I might repeat a 2 week stint on the 800 again in a few months if my weight stalls. I don’t expect to reach my goal until November, but I have Mini goals in April and July to keep me motivated.

I have found a good boost if weight sticks is to drink extra water, and reduce the calories in the evening meal, weighting them more to meals earlier in the day.

Well done everyone.

• posted by toby101
    on

Happy to report weight loss starting again after a 1 week plateaux – so anyone experiencing that frustration – don’t give up!

Now week 5 day 4
    Start 103kg now 92k – 11kg (24 pounds) loss
    Waist down from 45 – 41 inches.
    BP down from 140/90 – 120/70
    Blood sugar down from pre-diabetic to bang normal

That is on 1000 a day give or take plus some cheating with booze (wine not beer) at weekends. Followed the book menu plan for first 2 weeks but now devise my own meals using same principles – protein, fat and carb light veg – 2 small meals a day oh and 2 – 3 litres of fizzy water a day!

I have always been sceptical of “fad” diets. But boy does this thing work! Even with a bit of cheating.

• posted by GetyourCarbon
    on

Hey hey
    Weigh in
    Exactly same as last week
    Total loss since Jan 1st 8.1kg and 10cm off me belly
    I know why it’s the same and my motivation is still the same
    I am going to read the book again to stay focused
    Well done to all still in the BSD from january !

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hello Everyone – have a lovely weekend

Toby101 you have done so amazingly – your stats are fantastic – no wonder you’re so reassured with this BSD way of eating. Well done – the measurement losses have happened for you so quickly and BP -perfect –

That four week plateau seems to happen in week 3 as well. I seem to be fairly stuck – but I am feeling so much better I’m hoping those kgs will move downwards again – otherwise I’m getting new scales!!!

Getyourcarbon I agree about re-reading the book – it does help – also when I re-read last time I realised I hadn’t picked up on certain things so it was worthwhile…. – even if you stayed the same last weigh in you’ve done brilliantly!

SeasideNana my weight loss is so much slower than yours – you’re doing really really well and I like your mini goals you’ve set yourself – very motivating – some of the weight losses on this forum are just so huge – all we can say is whatever the weight loss – this way of eating really makes a difference to our health and that’s the main goal!!!!

Jess what a fantastic weight and cm loss despite that work trip to Japan….. I’m a week behind you on the BSD and I too have achey legs – I thought it might be not enough water but I’m drinking so much couldn’t drink more!
    I’ve got lots kgs to lose so I’m just going to carry on.

My GP was really supportive and interested and wants to run some tests to check out any deficiencies mineral etc in a couple of weeks. We are going to Vietnam in 10 days so heaven knows how I’ll manage resisting the French patisseries!!!! Don’t think I’ll be able to be as rigid with my 800 calories but will try and loads of walking!!

• posted by Granny
    on

Hola everyone its me, i’m still here๐Ÿ˜Š, just returned from sunny Tenerife after our hols and am soooo happy to report no weight gain๐Ÿ˜Ž. Dont panic Susannah it can be done and yes I definately did more walking so i’m sure that helped. The main thing I’m so delighted about is that BSD is changing lifetime eating habits for me and I feel more confident in making eating choices, so I’m not thinking of it as a diet. I’ve loved catching up with the forum and have been amazed and encouraged by all of the weight losses, both great and small, and most importantly how everyone is feeling healthier, including myself. Even though I have another 2st to lose my clothes feel so much better and I know I can do it this time. Have a great weekend everyone and keep posting!

• posted by ShrinkMe81
    on

Hi folks
    W4D1 for me. I’m feeling a bit down today, combination of factors. My overall loss is 7.5kg so far, so I mustn’t grumble. I have a night out tonight so hopefully squeezing myself into a dress and making myself pretty will help.

Well done all of you for your fabulous motivation. You’re all inspiring.

• posted by Shanik
    on

As one who has tried many a diet including the body sense diet, is time of the month at play here? perhaps you can monitor and have ingredients on hand to make a comforting dish from the book next time,

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Weigh in today at end of week five and I was a quarter of a pound lighter than last Saturday. I decided only to get weighed once a week but on reflection I am going to weigh myself every morning for a week to see if there are trends and fluctuations. My weight loss after five weeks is 12.75 lbs which is great for me. I have bought a fitness band and am going to try to do 10,000 steps each day- I am very lazy and have a sedentary job. . I am going on holiday in June and my aim is to lose another stone before then. I am still very motivated and really enjoy reading the posts and encouragement on this site. Thank you everybody for sharing your BSD journey. It really does help.

• posted by LizV
    on

Thanks so much to all of you for your posts and support here. It’s so encouraging to check in and read your tips and experiences! I wish I could “like” your posts because sometimes what you write resonates so much.

I’m feeling happy because my kids (young teens) are eating so much healthier now. They’re actually eating healthy vegetables and fish and soups and quinoa, etc. They still get to eat bread and carbs of course but they are eating a more Mediterranean style diet. We’ve transitioned our desserts into being more of a treat than an every day occurrence, as well as fast food, which we used to eat multiple times per week. I’ve been struggling to fix our diet for years but something about this diet and finally understanding how harmful sugar is, it’s working. I feel so relieved and thankful.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

End of week 6 weigh in-amazed to say another 4lb gone! That’s 1stone 10lb !! Lots of mini goals achieved with this loss-down into the 15 stones, 1 and 1/2 stone DONE and under 100kg. Also lost 1/2″ off tummy that had plateaued for 3 weeks-7″ gone from there.
    Actually starting to notice a change in my hips. And tummy. Also noticed skin has improved-I’ve always had “chicken skin” arms, little bumps and they’ve gone! Gone everywhere! First time in my life.
    I have surgery on my foot at the end of this week so focusing on eating nutritional foods. Also my 16 year old daughter has been so impressed she is following the diet-not for weight loss but for health. Delighted beyond words

• posted by Libbyohno
    on

Morning Everyone!

Today is the first day of week 6 for me! I am happy to report I have broken through week five with a 4.8lbs loss which is so great after 3 weeks of not shifting much! Total Loss 15st 10.1lbs to 14st 5.2lbs!

My tactics for week 6 are to split my 800 calories in to 4 sections of 200 each. Leaving 200 cals for coffee with soya milk. Coffee is my biggest ‘trip up’ at 39 cals and 2.5g carbs a pop for 100mls of soya.

I am also going to make sure I drink more water!!

I still have 26 lbs to go to target which is over 8 lbs per week loss needed to do within the 8 week timeline, So I have decided to continue on the ‘8 week challenge’ for as long as it takes to hit target. Then I will transition to 5:2 using Med Style! Excited!!

Best of Luck All!!
    Libby x

• posted by Jess_Indeedy
    on

Wow Libby & Tum Tum – you are both doing SO well!!!!!

I have my week 5 weigh in this Thursday, but cheated yesterday with wine so am back at it now super strictly in the hope that my week 5 would be as successful as yours!

Keep up the good work!

Jess xx

• posted by SusannahD
    on

TumtumP

You’ve done so well with this way of eating – it must be the best feeling to have reached so many goals – and for your 16 year old daughter to take on the BSD for good health is absolutely terrific. To motivate a 16 year old daughter to eat in such a healthy way says it all. She must be almost as thrilled as you to see what you’ve achieved in just 6 weeks!

Libby well done too – how good is this!

To all of you in this starting January thread — It’s so good to read all of your successes and also the struggles we all have when it doesn’t go so well. Loads of support to help on those calorie challenged days!!!

I’ve just started week 4 – and am also really pleased at how I’m feeling – lost 3.8kgs in the 3 weeks but clothes are already fitting better – they just must have been too tight before!!!!!! usually when I try and lose weight I’m excruciatingly hungry all the time and craving sweet food but not on the BSD……..

• posted by LizV
    on

End of week 6 weigh-in:
    Down 30 pounds today. Did my monthly measurements: have lost between 2.5 – 4 inches everywhere, waist, belly, hips, chest, even arms and thighs lost 2.5 inches.This week I did better at sticking to the 800 calorie limit. Am close to hitting the 12.5% goal. I still have sixty pounds to lose to get to a healthy BMI. Only 2 weeks left on the original 8 weeks! We’re probably going to extend the 800/ week for at least a couple weeks, if not longer.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Thanks everyone for the support. I was inspired to do the diet. Y a colleague at work who lost 4 stone in 4 months. I set myself a goal of 2 stone off in this first 8 weeks which I’m desperately hoping I make. I keep saying I’ve got 4 to lose-I need to start saying I’ve got 2 and a half! I really need to work on self motivation talk ๐Ÿ˜†
    I have been very careful about sticking to 800 calories bar on 2 occasions. 1 was a spectacular fall off the wagon, the other last week on a work trip. Very stressful day and no good choices in hotel restaurant. After both of these, I’ve tried really hard to come in at 650 calories or less for a few days to offset the calorie excess. Perhaps that’s why it’s working? I am expecting a plateau soon-so nervous every time I get on scales! I’ve decided to just stay on the 800 calories until I’ve lost 4 stone in total. Then I’ll review where I am-if I look too thin in face or starting to get loose flappy skin and ultimately what the blood sugars doing. I cannot believe how great this WOE is. If only I’d found it years ago!!!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Wow, I am totally amazed and in awe of how well the January starters have done this week. I started week 6 yesterday after a very disappointing quarter of a pound loss in week five but after reading all the wonderful weight losses this week it has made me even more determined to stick with this diet and keep positive. Thank you for inspiring me to keep going. I have two more weeks to go after this week before the eight weeks are done and there is no way I will be at where I want to be by then but I am determined that this year I will lose three stone and so until that time comes I will be doing the BSD 800. Thank you for the positive vibes coming through – they have made me so determined and focused. Well done everyone who has had a great week and be inspired those who,like me, haven’t lost what they had hoped this week. Onwards and downwards to us all!

• posted by TumtumP
    on

ClarinetCathy – I’ll still be doing the 800 come May I think. I’m expecting the weight loss to slow the nearer I get to target. It’s so disappointing when you’ve tried so hard . I try to have lots of mini goals that I can draw on. So calculating my % loss so far, how many BMI points I’ve dropped,where I’ll be in 1 month if I lost weight at same rate, cms/ mms lost. I do lots of calculations until I find one that doesn’t make me sad!!! I know lots of people weigh themselves daily-which would make me very miserable! It’s about finding what suits you and above all forgiving yourself and giving yourself a pat on back for effort not just results xxx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well said Tumtum ๐Ÿ™‚
    I haven’t lost as much as I’d hoped for, but I have been doing the same sort of thing as you with mini goals and calculations. Also every 2 weeks I use the Health Station at a local pharmacy – it checks weight, blood pressure, heart rate, body fat % ect and gives you some stats. At the start of BSD my heart age was 65 – which wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t 51! When I checked on the weekend my heart age had come down to 57, so if nothing else my heart is now 8 years younger!
    My BP & heart rate were better, body fat down so all moving in the right direction which is the main thing ๐Ÿ™‚
    Well done to all of the January starters – you are doing so well!

• posted by Ebs
    on

Wow, wow, wow, weigh in this morning after a plateau last week, my husband put on .4 of a kilo and I lost a kilo. Chris went to a party drank wine and ate pavlova, whilst I declined (too many temptations and I wasn’t in the right head space to say no) took the dog for a long walk instead. We are now in our last week of the diet and will probably follow this style of eating in the future, but add spuds (we used to live in the UK) found it so difficult to give them up. Well done to everyone with your weight losses, you are all amazing, the diet does work and dont be disheartened if you plateau every now and then it happens to most of us.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good morning,

congratulations to the January starters still on plan.
    LizV: 30lbs down that’s amazing and congratulations to TumTum, Libby and Susannah. Ebs, well done not going to the party.
    ClarinetCathy: a loss no matter how small is a loss! And SueBlue even if the scales don’t show it, something good is happening on the inside.

My end of week 6 shows a 700g loss. I’m a tiny bit disappointed as I was chugging along very nicely till dinner guests derailed me. In a nutshell, the meal itself fell perfectly into BSD guidelines but the leftover cheese in the fridge was my undoing. I can’t do that again. Ideally I’d like a fridge located down the bottom of the garden so I’d have to make an effort to get to the goodies!!!

The lesson I’ve learned is that I’ll still cave into temptation. My tastes have changed so sugar isn’t attractive anymore but dairy and all that lovely fat? Yum. I’m going to embrace the “food is fuel” philosophy again this week: it worked last week.

Wishing you all a great week 7. Angela

• posted by ly24601
    on

It’s so motivating hearing everyones results!

I started on January 16th and I’ve lost 6.6Kg (14.5lbs). I’ve loosely stuck to the recipe book, only eating meals from there but sometimes substituting foods in. I have a cheat day every week which really helps me stay on track. It gives me something to look forward to and afterward I feel satisfied so I know I won’t cheat again for another week & as long as the day after is light, there is no real change to the scales! I want to start doing more exercise as I only do around an hour and a half of walking a day but I’m scared to join a gym. I just wish I had a full length mirror, it’s so hard to track my weight loss when I can’t even see myself in a mirror. Luckily i took a picture of myself last year when I was around the same starting weight so as soon as I have access to a full length mirror I’ll be taking that picture! Hopefully it’ll keep me motivated to carry on until summer :)!

• posted by Marion53
    on

Hi everyone, Week 6 Day2 for me. Decided not to weigh until end of week 8. Slow and steady is my motto. That’s why I’ve given myself until the end of this year to reach my goal of 10sts. A loss of 56lbs. I haven’t been that weight for 30years.Havent touched potatoes, rice, pasta since the start. I now have 1 slice of low carb bread once a week. My biggest challenge has been biscuits, scones and eating 3 or more apples a day. Then this week I was offered a big iced bun and actually turned it down. It used to be ‘Just this once’ before.

As I’m now retired, so at home most of the day, keeping busy and out of the kitchen has helped as well as keeping hands busy knitting or crocheting in the evenings.

Clothes seem to fit better. Also I sleep better. Used to be up every 11/2hrs going to the bathroom, now just once and straight back to sleep. I seem to have a bit more energy in that I don’t need a nap in the afternoon.

Well done to everyone whatever the results. If we keep at it, it has to work.Love reading all the posts. Best wishes to everyone on this journey.
    M

on

Hi All,

So Although I am weighing in every day, I have decided to move my official weigh in day to a Friday as that is my lowest weight of teh week usually (or Sat) as my weekend relaxing alwasys seems to lead to a higher weight on a Monday.

I had a massively big weekend of eating/drinking too much, booze is always going to be my downfall, and to be honest the 3 bottles of prosecco I had with a friend on Saturday night (I had a really good strict day of food) meant I was so hungover on Sunday that I blew it all off and ended up eating biscuits, dark chocolate and then roast chicken, mash, yorkshire puddings, veg and gravy, I didn’t eat a load of sugar, but just needed the carbs, but I was straight back on the wagon yesterday, mostly protein and fat, and today I am back to Fridays weight, So I have still lost 1 stone and 4 pounds (8.16kg)

Today I am wearing a dress I bought a while ago, that was too tight, but I loved, I have had lots of compliments and feel positive about these last 2 weeks of the 8 weeks….although like lots of you, I am planning on continuing, as I need to be strict during the week to offset my weekend indulgences, and I cannot go back to just eating and drinking what I like all the time!

loved reading all your great progresses, too many of you to mention, some of you who are being super strict really inspire me, and the ones more like me who allow themselves indulgences and have slip ups make me feel part of a like minded gang.

long term or short term, this definitely works, still feeling guilty about my lack of additional exercise though, maybe tonight!!!

Happy Valentines, keep away from the chocs and cook a yummy steak instead! x

Please log in or register to post a reply.