NORTH OR SOUTH, NO CARBS IN OUR MOUTH: 4 week challenge ending 13th June

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi all,
    Have put on my thinking cap about the 50g carbs. I agree that there is nothing this specific in the BSD book and following on from sunshine-girl’s quotes I’ve gone to p113 and the “M Plan”.
    “Cut right down on sugar, sugary treats, drinks and desserts …….”
    “Minimize or avoid the starchy ‘white stuff’ …….”
    “Switch instead to quinoa, bulgar ….etc…….”
    “Avoid most breakfast cereals: ………”

These are only the first 4 headings of 13 paragraphs outlining the M Plan which has been worth reading again.

Further, I think the 50 carb total arose fairly early in the life of this forum, don’t know now which thread, and really was an “imported” idea from posters also using other schemes eg the keto diet. As more and more people then used the specifically low carbs with success, it became generalised. Don’t want to be quoted on this but it’s my sense of how it came about. Hope it’s helpful.

Personally, the naughty child within has been it’s defiant self this last few days. Hopefully my “adult self” can reassert tomorrow.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi all,
    Have put on my thinking cap about the 50g of carbs that has become almost ubiquitous on the forum. Going on with sunshine-girl’s reference to the BSD book, I agree there is no such specific number given, but I’ve gone on to p113:
    “Cut right down on sugar, sugary treats, drinks and desserts …..”
    “Minimize or avoid the starchy ‘white stuff’ ……..”
    “Switch instead to quinoa, bulgar. ..etc. ……..”
    “Avoid most breakfast cereals ………..”
    These are just the first 4 headings of 13 paragraphs in the M PLAN. Has been worth reading again.

Further, I think the 50gms carbs or less became known in the early days of the forum, I can’t remember which thread, when some posters were also using other plans, eg the keto diet, and had success with the very low carbs. As they wrote about it, more and more people tried and found it helped, and so the 50g more or less became almost ubiquitous on the forum. I wouldn’t want to be quoted on this, but it is my sense of how things developed. Hope it’s been helpful.

Personally, my inner “naughty child” has defiantly surfaced these last few days.
    Hopefully, my adult self can reassert tomorrow.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sue126
    There is definitely hope for you. As a serial failed dieter since 1967 (and if I was ever successful at a diet I would fail at the maintenance stage) I was probably the least likely person on this forum to succeed when I started the BSD in May last year. The BSD is brilliant – and so is the support on this forum.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi North and South’ers,
    I think the lower carb idea came up as it is directly related to appetite and for good reason — carbohydrate is a driver of insulin production and high insulin levels shunt your blood sugar away into your fat cells, which results in out-of-control appetite because now you have low blood sugar (and your body is demanding food).
    Most people struggling with weight already have high background levels of insulin, so it makes total sense to restrict carbs (as low as 20 grams per day) to get control of the hunger problem.
    Once that has been managed, I think the research shows you can add carb back in until you reach your own personal threshold — and that is going to be different for all people. The markers of too much carbohydrate are out-of-control hunger and/or weight gain.
    Obviously low-glycemic fruit and small amounts of complex carb are the logical next additions — not flour or potatoes or any sugar.
    Everyone has to work out the perfect solution for themselves and their unique metabolism.

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

I wholeheartedly agree Californiagirl – everyone has to do what works for them. I only eat a plant based diet and yet I have manged to lose 32lbs in 3 months – just wanted to point out to those who are worried about going over a certain % in carbs that it does not necessarily mean that it is not working for them. I certainly wouldn’t be here if potatoes, pasta, rice, bread etc had not been my staples in my diet.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Californiagirl – yes – that is such a great explanation of what happens if you eat large amounts of carbs. It makes perfect sense that we will all have a different personal tolerance to carbs (both good and bad carbs) once we get over the hunger problems.

I agree that we all have to find the perfect solution for ourselves and our own unique metabolism.

• posted by Falldown7times
    on

Really interesting discussion about carbs. Thank you everyone.

I made a fatal mistake yesterday of moving the fruit bowl back on to the dining table. It is my habit to eat the fruit while we sit around talking after a meal. Combine that with 2 glasses of wine (which now makes me drunk) and a social lunch and then dinner the damage was 2 mandarins, 2 feijoas and a pear. I feel like I once would have after 3 helpings of Christmas pudding!

However, the health effects of good company are v pro Mediterranean…

Not at work today. The plan is:
    Move the fruit bowl. Or only put lemons in it.
    Yoghurt and nuts for breakfast if I ever feel hungry, a long walk, leftover soup for lunch, French fish stew for dinner. And make Chilli for later in the week.

Happy Monday!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Day 1 of week 2 weighed in and lost 1.3 kilos pleased with that as I have been of the rails for 3 days. New week so new motivation, anyone else weighed in yet, or is it tues you all weigh in
    Anyway hope it’s a successful week for you all.
    ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ™‹jan

• posted by Juss_185
    on

Well done greenjanet! ๐Ÿ™‚

I weighed myself this morning and have lost 4lbs. Imagine what I could’ve lost if I stuck to the plan properly :-/ I had a weekend of bad eating.

Good luck weighing in tomorrow everyone.

Juss xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

My final word on carbs is, I know what they do to my blood glucose so I dont eat them. If you are not a diabetic and you are using this plan purely for weight loss (although you will discover lots of other benefits) then the carb question is really one of can you take it or leave it. I have heard people say they are addicted and once they eat one they have to have more. If the plan is working for you do what you know is best for you.

Happy Monday everyone, I have been very good over the weekend and will report my losses tomorrow. Nearly slipped up last night when we were sat out on the patio having dinner and hubby was savouring his glass of wine, why does he do that when he knows I would love one too. Oh this is so fruity, full of body – get lost I don’t need the pressure, anyway I was strong.

BG 5.7, no reason but it is still good. Only 6 days to family arriving so big push until then. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

So my news!!!!!

I had my 6 month review this morning and my HbA1c had fallen again to 33. I’m almost more normal than normal now!!!! My liver function had improved. I have an impaired kidney function and that’s improved, must be all that water! In fact all my bloods are fine.

Medication has been halved with the view to being drug free in 3 months! That was my reason for starting this plan in the first place. I don’t take any other tablets, although the medics are desperate to get me on statins. My aim is to be completely drug free by the end of the year and that includes all the painkillers for hip pain. I know I can do it.

Today is Day 6 of 7 for me.
    I really appreciate all this talk about carbs. S-g I agree with you about the effects of carbs on blood glucose for those if us with diabetes. I decided yesterday to just count calories and stay below 1000 a day and stay away from simple and refined carbs. So my first day saw me within my calorie goal but also my carbs were pretty low. I do believe that on a low calorie diet the carbs will take care of themselves.

My week has been very mixed but I’m back on track again now, glad you are too s-g, and will weigh in tomorrow.

Have renewed enthusiasm now and am just working towards no more metformin from August!

Have a good day.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh well done, Verano – what fantastic news to get on a Monday morning. Well, any morning really ๐Ÿ˜œ I’m doing the happy dance for you. Also great to hear what a positive state of mind you are in – I’m sure that, with that amount of positivity, you will achieve your goal and be med free by the end of the year – and what a triumph that will be. ๐Ÿ˜‹

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Fantastic news Verano. You are actually truly normal. I bet your doctor was pleased about your results and how good that your doctor is planning your withdrawal from your meds.

Greenjanet and Juss_185 – congratulations on a super weight loss.

SG – I really do agree with your view of carbs for those of us with T2D.

My sister has just text me to say that her lovely dog has just been put down. They did an X-Ray this morning and found she had an aggressive cancer. Am sitting in a cafe trying not to bulb.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Verano! Well done you!! And how nice to have that meds plan laid out now. So happy for you:)

Well done, greenjanet. 1.3kg definitely something to be pleased about. These 4week challenges started with Tuesday weigh-ins, but feel free to adapt.

Sad for you KrysiaD, and for your sister.

Not looking forward to weigh-in tomorrow…….

• posted by Eileen27
    on

My word Verano! That’s the best news ever. Many congratulations on your extreme perseverance. You are an inspiration to us all.
    Week 1 weigh in tomorrow. Hope everyone has good news. X

• posted by Mariet
    on

Verano what wonderful news! Congratulations on seeing your hard work pay off. Your result is better than mine and I don’t have diabetes!

One week of this challenge done and I’ve met my goals of 10000 steps a day for 6 out of 7. Also kept fluids up and stuck to 800:30 and have lost half a kilo which is very good for me. So I am happy.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Congratulations Verano, great news and I am sure that you will be drug free soon. Krysia, sorry to hear about your sister’s dog.

I had a terrible weekend myself when a friend died suddenly of a massive heart attack just feet away from us. Trained people were on the scene in seconds giving CPR, and the emergency services arrived very quickly but there was nothing anyone could do. Then hearing the news from Manchester Arena this morning was a further blow.

Weigh-in at 10 stone 10.2 pounds, during TOTM which is good, well within my 6 pound band, and an almost successful fast day yesterday, probably went to 1000 calories, but better than it has been. Did almost 15,000 steps yesterday as well, just feeling restless so went for a long walk when I got home from work.

• posted by Falldown7times
    on

Mixnmatch, I’m so sorry about your friend. That would have been really awful. As you said, there was nothing anyone could have done. Look after yourself.

Verano, fantastic results!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Mix match

Thoughts for you all and your friend ๐Ÿ™ Try to hold onto a peaceful mind.

Jan

• posted by Marsie
    on

Mixnmatch, so much sadness, my heart goes out to you.๐Ÿ’œ Well done at keeping control of your eating in such circumstances.

Doing very well, Mariet, at keeping to your goals๐Ÿ‘

At 62.5kg this morning I’ve had an increase of .3kg this week and it could have been much worse. I was 63.2kg a couple of days ago. Dodged a bullet, wasted the first week of this challenge, so is been necessary to get a grip AGAIN.
    Have had 380 cals/27g carbs so far, with afternoon tea (if wanted) and chicken and veg dinner to come.

Good luck to everyone with your weigh-in, and to our UK friends on the forum, comforting hugs to you on yet another traumatic event, perpetrated on your people by others whose minds I am unable to fathom. Stay strong๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Busybee
    on

Lots of sad news here this morning.
    On a lighter note, I have lost lost 7 1/4 lbs this week!!! My new regime must be working though I have found in the past that I can retain up to 7lbs if I go completely off piste and consume lots of white carbs which I did the week before.
    Now I must try to lose a little more before our holiday in three weeks.
    Keeping on keeping on one day at a time.
    X B

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all
    Weighed in today day 1 of week 2 with a loss of 2.1 kilos just over 4 lbs ish, pleased with that but not as good as my first week last summer lost 10lbs, but I’m not as precise as I was last year , finding it a challenge to get that control back, but I will get there.
    I’m also working physically very hard so I am building muscle which weighs heavier than fat, I’m aware my body is beginning to tone up, well as much as a 59 year old body can ๐Ÿ˜… I’m ever hopeful ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ™‹

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – how awful – but really good that you kept control of your food. I was interested to read that you did loads of walking because you felt restless. Would you – in pre-BSD days – have gone on a carb fest?

I ask because yesterday I felt sad because of my sister’s dog and instead of a carb fest to block out the sadness I talked about it, felt sad and shed a few tears but didn’t want to eat. I know that my sadness isn’t as bad as what you went through at the weekend – nor what has happened at Manchester – but it does signal a different way of dealing with sadness.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Forgot to add that I also did heaps of walking – 16K+ steps because it made me feel better.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello

What a difference a day makes. There it so much sadness around today. So sorry to hear about your friend Mixnmatch just another example of the frailty of life. With the terrible events in Manchester, and all the other terror attacks in recent years, I guess life needs to be put into perspective.

So a small loss for me this week, thankfully, my life goes on. Well done to all the losers this week especially those with big losses. But hey it’s only weight! It can be dealt with this week or next.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Congrats on the bloodwork Verano! Great result. And drug free is a great goal to aim for.

Very disturbing news out of Manchester. I have a 13 year old daughter who loves Ariana Grande so I can easily imagine her being at that concert. Who the f*ck targets teenage girls with a nail bomb?

I haven’t weighed myself because I’ve been ‘carb loading’ for three days, I should weigh myself tomorrow to see the damage! My GTT is tomorrow so I’m fasting from now. Eating more carbs has been interesting, the only thing I really thought worth the blood sugar elevation was when I squeezed myself some fresh orange juice – that was delicious!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Natalie hope the GTT goes well tomorrow.

Forgot to log in with my weight. Month 6 on maintenance going well – 9stone 4.50lbs this morning. Husband has ‘man flu’. He wanted toast, butter and marmalade as he lay on the sofa. Homebaked bread thick with butter used to be one of the things I loved. I got a bit of the marmalade on my finger – but was good. I was tempted to lick my finger but didn’t. Made him a healthy salad for lunch and am now on my way to work.

on

Terrible news from Manchester this morning – heartfelt hugs to everyone concerned.

My new is good in my own little world. Lost 3.5 lbs so now 11 st 9lbs. Bad news, friends have invited us out tonight to a fish and chip dinner organised by a British chip van. I am going to ask for fish without batter and see if there is any salad or coleslaw or mushy peas. Must not have any alcohol as that is my downfall.

BG 5.6, higher than usual for me but not surprising after the damage done on holiday. On that note, we have booked our next cruise, April 2018. Sails the day before our 25th anniversary and this gala night is on our date. I will also be around the time of my 65th birthday so we are going all out and deluxe. Just booked a night in a spa with dinner bed and breakfast with and parking with taxi service to the port. Medical and travel ins organised so we now just have to be patient. What have we turned into, but new goals for 4 new evening dresses. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

Sorry earlier I forgot to say a big thank you for all your supportive messages! Thank you for keeping me keeping on…

Sounds lovely s-g where are you cruising to? We had a Med cruise booked for September but I’ve cancelled it in favour of a new hip!!! There will always be another time.

• posted by topcac
    on

What a terrible day ๐Ÿ™

Feeling very humbled by all the amazing stories coming out of Manchester about taxi drivers giving free lifts home and hotels opening their doors for those that needed somewhere to sleep.

Puts my 2lb gain into perspective and made me eat chocolate! I’m hopeless. One step forward and two steps back at the moment. 25 days till I say ‘I do’ and 7lbs heavier than I need to be to get into my outfit comfortably! Managed a brilliant day yesterday but that was only 1 of 7. Need to do better!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Just heard the news — my thoughts and prayers are with all of you and Manchester. โค๏ธ

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Some good losses here for end of 1st week of 4. This has helped me. The first time I’ve joined a challenge. Weigh in this morning showed a 2lb loss which is fantastic for me as I could never achieve this with WW or SW. So I’m delighted. A good start towards my goal of losing 6lbs in 4 weeks.
    The news from Manchester does put all this into context though doesn’t it. We can only make life as safe and peaceful for those around us in our circle and hope the circle spreads everywhere. Take care everyone x

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Has been a shocking day here in Manchester- I was at the arena on Friday night seeing Take That as some of you know as I posted about it. I was in the very place on Friday where this bomb exploded last night and I have felt very sad and shaken today at work. My youngest son lives very close to the Arena with his girlfriend who works in Manchester City Centre. I have just come in from work and am catching up with the BBC news. A truly shocking event in Manchester.

I did get weighed this morning prior to being aware of what happened last night in Manchester. I only saw the news when I checked my iPad before leaving for work. I am reporting a loss of 1.5 lb this week. Feel a little awkward posting about it today in view of the events so close to home. Good luck to everyone for week ahead.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Krysia, I think I probably would in times past have reached for carbs/alcohol to alleviate sadness, so yes it appears something fairly fundamental has changed for me. I walked a lot, thought a lot, cried a little and kept control of what I ate. Today was a little more tricky with a stray small size Curly Wurly making its way into my mouth, but more than one was available and I did resist. I may have a couple of drinks later, but not more. Thankfully we have a reflection garden at work, with a small metal tree hung with crystals by any recently bereaved and we can visit the garden when we need to. This has been very helpful over the last couple of days when it gets too much for me. I can think about my friend and the good times we shared, in peace and the beauty of nature.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve put on 700g this week, blame it on the extra carbs for my GTT this morning. I’m only allowed water now until lunchtime, I don’t mind no breakfast so much but no tea! No caffeine! Oh my poor head.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Natalie I too have put on 700g over the past week, although don’t have the same excuse as you! I’m feeling a bit frustrated as at one point last week I was only a mere 100g away from my mini goal, and now it’s 1.5kg away again!
    I do have a lot of inflammation at the moment – swollen knees, ankles, wrists, and once again have had to up my prednisone dose so that has something to do with it I’m sure. Food wise I have been sticking to between 900 & 1000 calories a day, the only “cheat” food I’ve had is a bread roll on Monday.
    I’m going to try and stick to 800 cals this week and see if I can reverse the gain.

ClarinetCathy I can only imagine how you feel ๐Ÿ™ I was so upset yesterday as the news started to unfold here (was early morning our time). Although thousands of miles away, I have 2 young daughters who regularly go to concerts, I kept imagining how I would fee if they were caught up in a similar situation. It’s absolutely heartbreaking.

Well done to all of the “losers” this week ๐Ÿ™‚ hopefully I’ll be joining you next week.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Much too close for comfort, ClarinetCathy, it’s understandable you are feeling shaken. It is ok, positive for you, I think, to be able to think of something other than the frightening news, so I’m pleased for you that you achieved a 1.5lb loss. Sending thoughts and virtual hugs your way ๐Ÿ’œ

Mixnmatch, what a beautiful, healing, place for you to retreat to at work. Such a wonderful idea to have a reflection garden, to which all can contribute. A very embracing workplace by the sound of it.

topcac, come on! Sounds like nerves kicking in, and you can kick them aside! And stop calling yourself names, you are not hopeless!
    Take the time to plan what you are going to eat today AND tomorrow or as many days forward as you wish to. Most importantly, commit to the plan by posting it here, then post on your results. This worked well for some of us on week 4 of last challenge and I’m about to do it again for the rest of this week and/or challenge, having wasted week 1.

Yesterday Tues 23 May: 965 cals/64g carbs, v small loss this morning, but won’t say until next weighin day
    Wed 24 May:
    Breakfast+ snack+ lunch 370 cals/30g carbs (mostly snack ie corn thin, butter, peanut butter)
    D. stir fry vegetables, home made Thai style sauce, with smoked trout. (Rice for OH) = 268 cals/24 carbs
    Total. 638 cals/54 carbs. May need to add more vegetables, will not nibble …

Thurs 25 May:
    B. Sheep’s milk yoghurt, small serve apple & rhubarb cooked without added sugar, slivered almonds
    L. Large salad Incl greens, undressed slaw, tomato, cucumber, avocado, balsamic dressing, finely grated sharp cheddar, ?slice of ham
    D. 2x eggs, vegetables, Haloumie cheese
    S. If needed. Quinoa crackers, cheddar
    Total under 900/60
    So there it is, resuming my one day at a time mantra and I will not nibble ….I will not nibble …..

Stay strong, everyone xx Marilyn

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – well done for stopping at one small stray size curly wurly. How brilliant that you have a reflection garden at work and what a lovely place to think of all the good times you shared with your friend. Yesterday I did something similar – I talked with my sister about her dog who had waited 5 years to be re-homed in a dog sanctuary. She had five wonderful years with my sister and reflecting on the happy times made us feel better

So not reaching for the carbs to alleviate sadness bodes well for our continuing success over the coming months and years. So I do agree that something fundamental has changed for us.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Well week 2 of 4 has started quite well for me but saying nothing as it’s early days!

ClarinetCathy very upsetting but you can only be thankful you weren’t there on Monday. It’s bound to have had a terrible effect on you. Mad, senseless act but we have to go on with our lives and not give in to the madness. Hope you feel better soon.

Marsie I have started adding a couple of teaspoons of grated ginger to my rhubarb and apple and it certainly gives it a bit of a lift. In fact I enjoy it so much I’ve ditched my strawberries for rhubarb, which is a bit silly as we are just coming into the English strawberry season!

Krysia I agree with you that we undergo a fundamental change. Yesterday my OH brought me a Fry’s chocolate cream bar, not sure if anybody else remembers them, but I used to love them. Anyway I just said ‘I don’t eat those anymore’ Bless him, he keeps forgetting! The point is that I had no desire whatsoever to eat it.

Krysia it’s so good that you can dwell on the good life your sister’s dog had. I think during very difficult times, and we all have our share of them, we can only try and take solace from good memories we have.

on

Hi everyone. Cathy – so close to home, I bet your mind is full of what if’s. I remember taking my daughter to concerts (she is 39 now) to see Vanilla Ice, New Kids on the Block and the big guy who sang ‘ye cant touch me’ with the baggy trousers. We used to go and have a drink and a bite to eat nearby to wait for her and we never imagined anything terrible happening, how things have changed.

I survived my fish a chip supper last night. When we got to the venue I had I planned to asked for my fish without batter then I thought about all that fat sloshing around (and not good fat) but when I got there they had chicken curry, just a small bowl leaving me a bit hungry but I had a snack prepared for when I got home. Had two very small glasses of wine and kept the weight off.

BG this morning is back to my usual very low at 4.3 so I might be reducing the insulin AGAIN…. Will be doing my weigh in on Sunday morning before I pick the family up from the airport. At least I am in charge of the food when they are here.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I do remember Fry’s Chocolate Cream Bar. I used to love them also. Isn’t it great that we can say that ‘we don’t eat them anymore’.

Sunshine-girl – I remember taking my children to New Kids on the block and Janet Jackson and I also used to go and have a drink and a bite to eat nearby to wait for them and I also never imagined anything terrible happening.

• posted by topcac
    on

MC Hammer…Sunshine Girl ๐Ÿ™‚

Better day food wise today – trying the one day at a time approach – can’t seem to get into the ‘just do it for a week and see what happens’ frame of mind

Two boiled eggs for breakfast and medi platter from the book for lunch – dinner will be pork steaks with mustard sauce and some green veg. Peppermint and licorice tea after that – then nothing…

• posted by Mariet
    on

I went to a fund raiser last night, the food on offer was either deep fried, served on sourdough or seafood chowder. I had the chowder and it was yummy but I think it had potatoes. And thickened with flour. Oh well.

Back on it today!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I feel in a weird limbo while waiting to hear my blood test results – do I now have diabetes? Not knowing shouldn’t affect my behaviour because whether it’s diabetes or still pre-diabetes I need to take action (or continue taking action I guess). But I almost feel paralysed, I can’t do anything until I know. Silly. My addiction is grasping at any excuse. Get on with it.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yea happy day

This old body has remembered how to loose weight like last summer๐Ÿ˜€All of a sudden my weight loss has gone up a big notch, I loose weight fast usually on this plan, but for the last 5 weeks have struggled with very small losses.
    The difference I think is drinking 2 litres of peroni water and lemon, and my lovely low carb lunch pickles gherkins with polish sausage wrapped around.
    I must admit for the last couple of months I have been working as a site labourer on our restoration project, and I think I am closer to my last year target than the scales show as my muscles are improving and that weighs heavier than fat, so that has confused things I think.
    So if you are like me on your umpteenth attempt to get back to were you were, don’t despair your body will click in, I think it just takes time for the science of this plan to get to work again.
    Keep happy, don’t give up we mustn’t waste our precious life, in respect of those who lost theirs on Monday . Hope you all have a cool place to be sweltering here and it’s only 8.30 ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž

on

Hi everyone, topcac, thank you for that, of course it was MCH, by the way we also had pork with mustard sauce for dinner last night.

Hi greenjanet I agree that this plan works. I sometimes despair when I have stayed around the same 21 lbs loss now for about 4 months. Then I think back to conversations with my doctor about the fact that insulin makes it nearly impossible, although not quite, but very difficult to lose weight. I remember all those times I would make a pact with my daughter to lose say 7lbs by the next time we meet up (usually around 3 months) and neither of us would have lost anything or just a couple of pounds all to go back on during our holiday together. So I just have to slap my legs and tell myself how great I have done. Okay I gained 6 lbs on 2 back to back holidlays but have lost half of that in 1.5 weeks. So stop I must stop being so down on myself. Also the gains for me are BG related and I am doing great.

Natalie, cant wait for your results, sure it will be good news.

Weight the same today, BG 5.0. All’s well and family arrive on Sunday.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi all – second day of being good in a row. Have been starving all day but have stuck fast like glue to the plan. Feeling very icky which is unusual for me but then I realised that I’ve done so much cheating over the last 6-8 weeks that I’m actually withdrawing from carbs again!! Shame on me. Hoping to feel a lot better and in control by the weekend as will need to be super strong with my nieces staying, out for lunch, BBQ, birthday – AAARRRGGHH

Good news is I dropped 2.5lbs since Tuesday!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well I got my results back and it’s not great. My blood glucose is worse, 10.7 mmol/L which is very close to a diagnosis of diabetes. I can’t blame this diet, I’m sure if I’d stuck to it the result would be much better.

Not particularly impressed with the new doctor, just like the old one the response was “You don’t have diabetes, just lose some weight, you’ll be fine.” As if I haven’t been trying to lose weight for 20 years! And 10.7 is not ‘fine.’ It is damaging my body every day. At least I know it is still reversible.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Janet glad everything is back in place and you are losing again!

Natalie I’m a bit confused. Didn’t you carb load for three days? We know that carbs bump up your blood sugars. Maybe you just need to follow the plan in ‘real life’ and, unlike when you have to bump up the carbs, you’ll probably be fine. You don’t have diabetes according to your doctor so chin up and just keep on keeping on and you’ll be fine and the weight will drop.

Hope everyone is enjoying this weather … I am ! Barbecue tonight but will stay BSD friendly but won’t count today.

Have a good day.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Morning all

Just hopped on the scales, as I weigh daily and have changed a stone figure woo hoo ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜and gone down another half kilo, ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜loving this plan again, and feeling the old motivation, energy, and excitement. Ooh but it’s hot here in Norfolk, and I’m of gun up brickwork now in the blazing barnyard. Ooh roll on 5 o’clock when it’s over, mind you in desperation I went and brought some shorts yesterday, the first time in 30 years, got the old knees out, they don’t know what’s hit them the knees that is.
    Keep up the good work all of you, its so quite on here I hope you are all okay.

๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™‹jan

Please log in or register to post a reply.