8 week Fast 800 'reboot' starting 2 January 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see some good results being posted. I’m determined not to ‘count my chickens’ and post any results before the weekly weigh-in, but so far, things seem to be going okay and in the right direction. Unless I majorly screw up between now and Tuesday morning, I should be able to report a loss though.

WilLuck – don’t panic about being over on cals, as long as it doesn’t become a habit. We’re in this for the long haul, so there will be days when you go over – especially in the early days – and these will be balanced by the days when you are under. It may not seem likely that you will ever have any of those, but they are likely to happen as you progress. I wonder if you perhaps need to include a bit more fat in your meals, so that you feel full quicker and stay feeling that way longer. I don’t know whethr you have previously been a low fat eater, but if so, it can be really hard to get into the new mindset that fat is no longer the enemy and actually, can really help in making you feel sated when eating this way. Obviously, you need to be cautious as fats are high in cals, but they are low to zero on carbs, so in that respect can be a bonus.

LTC – great results so far, keep on keeping on!

Will look forward to reading everyone’s weekly weigh-in results – sure they will be good ones.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Argh, what a week, have seen such weird movement on the scales. I had a couple of carb encounters over the last few days, tiny compared to my past way of eating, an icecream cone, one small slice of italian pizza and a few chips from the packet that my husband insists on eating if we watch tv at night! I find one carb leads to another with horrifying speed but sometimes on holiday it’s so easy to go down the path of least resistance. I usually pull my head in quickly but just that amount will lead to the scales registering a 2.5 kilo gain overnight!! Obviously hanging onto water like a demon but it takes at least 3 days to get back to my previous weight, which then stalls!
    Am cutting out alcohol this week as that’s the one thing I haven’t managed to completely step away from after Christmas 😔
    So gained 2.5kg, lost 2.5 this week!
    Luckily with renewed enthusiasm for trying out new recipes I’m feeling like I’m getting back on track! must start weighing and measuring though as I have always been hopeless at that!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Monday morning here in Sydney, which is my official weigh in day. 74.0 kg, that’s a 1.4 kg loss this week. Very happy with that. Now just 5 more kg to get down to my wedding weight. I wonder if I would fit into my dress then? I’m probably a different shape. I’m more an apple now than an hourglass!

• posted by Muffle
    on

Hi I’m new to this forum but have been reading all the comments as I’m finding most days I need some encouragement!
    I started the 800 cal blood sugar diet on Jan 1st. Got to say first week was a challenge as I have two teens who are always snacking but I proudly avoided my vices: hot salty chips (drool).
    Thinking I need to buy some scales but at the moment just going on how my clothes feel. Wore some pants yesterday that I’ve been avoiding lately coz they’d got to tight so pretty happy with that.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I didn’t step foot on a scale until week 4. I had dedicated too many years to avoiding all attempts at weighing myself to turn on a dime and start. I wish I’d just bit the bullet so I’d have accurate total loss figures instead of an estimate, but we have to do what we have to do in the moment to propel us forward.

Family support is an important element in success. Any chance you get the teens to go snack somewhere where you aren’t? My OH took his Friday night burgers and fries to the porch and ate outside, the dear. I’m sure they don’t mean anything by it, but it would be good for them to pay a little attention to your needs. It’s basic politeness, really, as well as showing a modicum of respect for a loving parent trying to reclaim her health.

Good luck!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, hope you are all feeling as good as I am. Another small loss this morning, just 100g (better than saying 1 10th of a kilo but a loss all the same). Planned a menu for the week again which I find keeps me well on track and I know accurately how many calories I have had and have left, I always plan for around 650 to 700 and then I can throw in some extra veg and have a small, 50g snack in the evening without even having to think about it. Not much exercise over the weekend as we have had gales and flooding but managed a 35 min brisk walk to look at the river yesterday. BG is still a little high for my liking around 6.0 but I know that will come down soon, early days yet.

Have a good week everyone and see you at the weigh in tomorrow.

• posted by toby101
    on

This is my second round, first time was entirely successful – lost 15kg in six weeks and blood sugar went from pre-diabetic to middle of normal range. So some reassurance to newbies

1. Hunger pangs tend to fade after the first week or two
    2. Don’t beat yourself up too much over cheating – I tended to get quite slack over the weekend, particularly with wine, but didn’t have too big an impact overall.
    3. 800 calories can only ever be a guide, it cannot be the same for large active men as small non-active women for example. I found 800 calories pretty much undoable but 1000 was fine.

Still seemed to work.

• posted by topcac
    on

Well, the last day of our first week rebooting. Looks like everyone is having some sort of success even it is just recognising the situations to avoid and the triggers to overeating! This is all important stuff and is so valuable when it comes to the maintenance stage of this plan.

I SOOOO need to practice what I preach (not that I’m preaching – far from it). Yesterday I had to drive 120 miles to attend a ‘tea party’ for my cousin’s 60th birthday. I knew it would be a cream tea so I said to myself ‘just have a cup of tea’. So I prepared, I had a late, large-ish brunch, got all dolled up and off I went with my OH. Hmm – best laid plans and all that – the sandwiches came out, then the cakes, then the scones and jam, sitting…right in front of me…with all my family watching. THE PRESSURE!!!! I caved. I won’t tell you what I ate, but I did learn two things. 1) it really doesn’t taste as good as you think it will and 2) never underestimate the power of peer pressure. I’m a wimp – I know it – but the good thing is that I ate a very light supper, went to bed and refuse to feel guilty. Back on it 100% with effect from the last naughty morsel at 4pm yesterday.

So weigh in tomorrow everyone – well done to Natalie who has already had that pleasure – let’s hope it’s a pleasure for us all. See you all then!

TC x

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi S-g great to hear you are in such a good place. I’m only dipping in and out of the threads at the moment but trying to keep in touch, sorry if I miss your posts.

on

Dont worry V, I will hunt you down!!!!!!

• posted by Clare07866
    on

I survived the weekend!!! No alcohol and low carb and a parkrun. A little over my 800 calories (just under 1000) on Saturday but I’m counting it as a win. 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to read that everyone seems to be sticking with it and making progress. I confess I haven’t counted cals/carbs over the w/e, but the scales haven’t shown any ill effect of that. Did have a cocktail on Saturday night and a very tiny piece of cake my Mum brought us back from Madeira. Other than that, I have been low carb for sure, but the cals have probably been more like 1000 that 800.

Back with it today and hoping to be able to report an overall loss tomorrow at the first weekly weigh-in. Generally feeling good, apart from being tired from sleeping badly last night, but I’m quite comfortable with how things are going.

Really looking forward to reading everyone’s results tomorrow.

• posted by Laska
    on

So the weekend was survived! no alcohol and ate only meat veggies cheese and eggs until last night when i had some frozen cherries.. Scales havent moved but that’s fine ..i think i was more like1000 cals both days rather than 800.

Today they held a ‘Bring your Christmas leftovers’ lunch at work.. so carb city! .. I contributed some spicy chicken wings (shop bought so they will have had some sugars) and ate some of those plus a couple of pieces of cheese and some ham. was pretty pleased with myself at that ..

This evening i have had some crudites (pepper, carrot, celery cucumber ) and a dip i made with some cream cheese , mayo and pesto ..I also had eggs for breakfast..I may have just scraped 800..but dont expect to see a further loss tomorrow..

Good to see everyone doing well

• posted by Linso1000
    on

Hi Everyone

I started the BSD for the first time on 2nd January and the first week went ok. I am focussed, I weighed 15 stone 8 1/2 lbs at the beginning. I lost a lot of weight about 7 years ago, and kept it off for about 3, then it began to creep back on. Here I am now having put on half of the 8 stone I lost, and knowing I have to do something about it. So, in order to reach my real goal weight, I have about 5 stone to lose, but feel much more optimistic about this diet than any of the others. I just don’t lose weight on the “eat as much as you like of these foods” etc.

Plus I’m falling back in love with veggies – spinach is my saviour and I’d forgotten just how could a chargrilled courgette, some mackerel and halloumi could taste.

I lost 6lbs in the first week, but have had massive sugar cravings today all day (for the first time) so I although I haven’t succumbed to carbs, I think I’m way over today’s cal limit. The scales will tell all tomorrow.

Would love to hear top tips on combatting these sugar cravings. No alcohol doesn’t bother me – but the cravings were driving me mad today!!

Thanks in advance and good luck everyone!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly Linso 1000, welcome along – good to have another new face on the forum. Well done on taking the decision to get rid of the excess pounds and improve you health and wellbeing. Like you, I really appreciate veggies much more these days and don’t miss the carby elements no longer featuring in my meals.

Don’t worry about being a bit over on cals, as long as you have still kept the carbs down, you’ll probably find little or no impact on the scales results tomorrow. Have you tried feeding cravings with more hydration? Or using something to distract yourself? Or if you can identify real hunger, how about a small cube of cheese or a coffee/tea with a tsp of double cream? Fats help with feeling sated. Or you could have a small square of very dark chocolate. Lastly, cleaning your teeth can help too, as nothing much tastes good immediately after teeth cleaning, so this can give you the space to do something to take your mind of the craving.

The good news is that the carb cravings will die down in the next week or so and become much less marked. I rarely feel hungry these days. It’s chiefly the carbs that drive hunger pangs and cravings and once your body adjusts to no longer having high carbs, it won’t cry out for them in the same way.

Best of luck to you and hope to be reading positive results from you soon.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi Linso, and welcome. What have you eaten in the past two days? I’m wondering if there might be some fruit or vegetable or legume that’s triggering carb cravings. Onions, tomatoes, beans, beets anyting in that arena, perhaps? You never how your body might respond to different inputs. Some people swear by bowls of oatmeal for breakfast, I couldn’t be in the same room with it without gaining a pound a minute.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Feeling chuffed this morning with nearly a kilo gone overnight, possibly the last of the water weight from my modest carb intake though?!
    Went to the movies last night and as everyone munched their way through popcorn and ice cream I sat there happily with my little bag of nuts! Dinner at Italian afterwards had me worried and although I did have some wine, I avoided all the pizza and pasta options and really enjoyed a chicken parmigiana and veggies so feel pretty happy with my newly emerging self control!
    Laska,well done, you sound like you are doing so well you on your restart, I love the sound of that dip too, may have to try it!
    All the best for today everyone!

• posted by Nick C
    on

Hello all.
    In a reflective mood this evening, just pondering over my thoughts and taking the time to note how this first week has gone. My sub week weigh in on Saturday morning showed a 1.3kg drop, good good I thought and carried on with my day.

I haven’t experienced any carb flu symptoms, eaten twice a day except today when I had a cup of miso soup for lunch and skinny chilli over a grilled aubergine this evening.
    No sugar or white carb foods, (small pat on the back for me). No cravings either, surrounded by the stuff but not bothered.
    Yesterday’s roast was just slices of beef and veg while the rest of the family had all the trimmings. Again satisfied with my plate of food and happy the family enjoyed their Sunday roast.

So right now I’m in control of my eating, my calorie shift must be upwards 1500/1750 if not more depending on alcohol consumed so I really chuffed about that.
    Mood and energy is up but no improvement in my skin condition either in the look or irritation of it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s first weeks weigh in posts.

Thanks Nick.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all. Just a quick one to say beware the cream tea!!! Total loss for the week is 2.5lbs but it was much higher before Sunday! When will I learn 🙁

Good luck with weigh in everyone. I’m on a course today but will catch up later or tomorrow xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi less than half a pound gain for me and I’m happy. If I can stay the same for the next two weeks that will count as a success. Hope you have all had a good first week and that week two gets you further towards your goal.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Good morning everyone. Yippee my weigh-in takes me back to my pre
    Christmas party/Christmas/New Year weight. So it took me 3 weeks to put it on, and a week to take it off, but that’s dangerously close to yo-yo and I hope that by next time this WOL is embedded in my brain. !

So today 13st 6lbs
    Target for this challenge 12 st 4lbs
    Overall Target 12st. (Right in the middle of the “normal” weight for my height)

• posted by Clare07866
    on

woohoo, week 1 and 9lb down. I know it will slow down now but those sort of numbers really spur me on 🙂

• posted by Tillybud
    on

Morning all! My weight today is 10st 3 and a quarter. 2 and a half lbs down. I’m really disappointed in my head but realistically I should be pleased as oh and I had a bottle of red and a whole tube of pringles between us. I could kick myself but …… I’m still down and I’m back on it now. Good luck everyone on your weigh ins x

• posted by Angela06
    on

Well done everyone…it’s so inspiring to read about your successes.

Victoria…losing all Christmas weight so quickly, what a victory! And Nick, inka, Linso and Verano.

Topcac and Tillybud..I sympathise same thing for me just not cream tea or wine but a handful of Christmas chocs I found in the bottom of a bag. I was angry and stressed and they were in my mouth so fast. It was the absolute opposite of mindful eating!

So for me a 600g loss. The house is now officially a carb free zone and I’ve started walking again so lots of positives.

Verano, I love jigsaws too. I had one for Christmas that has defeated me wish I could send it to you☺

• posted by toby101
    on

Well done to those through to end of week 1.

I am down from 101.6kg to 98.2 kg after 1st week. Very happy with that – especially with a bottle of wine last Friday and Saturday night! I think doing the C25k challenge at the same time helps.

• posted by Cameron2337
    on

Hi all,
    Loss of 1.6 kg at end of week 1 which is ok given I haven’t been as diligent as usual due to being on holidays so not as controlled as I would have normally been. I return to work next week so am not going to stress too much as any loss is good.
    I have no doubt that I will be better prepared from next week on.
    Congratulations to everyone on their efforts to date

Regards

Cameron

• posted by JGwen
    on

Loss this week 2.1kg, which takes me up to a total loss of 21.9kg since starting 800/aim for 20g in mid October.

I probably could have done better if I hadn’t come across a book that interested me. – So I did my usual trick of just essential chores and keeping my head buried in the book until I finished it, and then heading to the computer to research options that occurred to me as a result of all the trains of thought the book inspired. Meaning minimal steps for 48 hours.

Still have another 13.1kg to go to my target weight. But I don’t know if that will be enough to get rid of the spare tyre, as I seem to have lost a shoe size but surprisingly with that amount of weight, not yet a dress size. 🙂 – The treat myself to new clothes are on hold for a little while longer, but maybe I could join the shoe fetish group. :-)))))

• posted by caronl
    on

Wow Congratulations JGwen! That’s a real achievement since October!

Starting objective: “My start weight for this reboot is 83.1 kilos (down 7.4 from my start under the 4 week October 2017 challenge and a wobble at Christmas). My goal is a healthy BMI (79 kilos) by end Feb. A bit of wriggle room would be nice, but probably not realistic!”

This week I have lost 2.2kgs (5lbs) – so I am now 80.9kilos. I haven’t been in the 80’s for four years, so happy. The top end of my BMI is now only 2 kilos away. And the Christmas wobble (in more ways than one!) has gone. It has generally been an easy week, apart from a thumping headache on day 3. And I have really enjoyed trying some new ideas like cabbage noodles! I think I need to prepare for a bit of a slow-down next week, but with all the support, humour and good ideas on this website I feel in the right place. Wishing everyone a good second week.

• posted by Mrs getting there
    on

Weighed in today at 147.8.
    Start weight was 152.6 so just a smidgen under 5lbs gone!!! Looking forward to another week of lovely food and a healthier me. My ultimate goal is 126lbs so I’ll keep chipping away towards that and keep a close eye on my fasting blood sugars. Well done everyone, amazing results! X

• posted by zolou
    on

Wow everyone, well done – some great results and some real determination! I posted my first week results on the restart thread, but I’m pleased to say that much to my surprise the weight loss is continuing in week 2 and I’m melting like the wicked witch of the west. I did put a lot on recently, so it’s all new weight that’s coming off again and will be for a few weeks yet. Don’t think it can have got a proper foothold (she said scientifically).

The diet is getting easier as I find what works and I really like the 10,000 steps target as it’s so adaptable. It’s inspired me to go for some lovely frosty morning walks which I would have missed out on otherwise, and motivated me to tidy up the house more! But sometimes I’ve just gone shopping to get my steps up 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi folks, Could those of you who use a blood sugar tester give me some advice please on what model you use and how well you get on with it?

I am not a type 2, but having read about the research which suggests that the mixture of gut bacteria effects the blood sugar impact of different foods I would like to use a blood sugar tester. There seems to be a wide range of machines, some of which also test if you are in keto.

on

Hi everyone, just got back from the chiropodists and feeling lighter of foot. Not only that, I am 4lbs lighter than last week. Started at 78.4kgs so I have met several goals on the way, said goodbye to 78kg, said goodbye to 77kgs and only 1lb to 12 stone. So many mixed measurements.

JGwen, why do you want to do blood tests. The machines – even the good ones – are like scales, quite inaccurate. When are you going to measure, what time, what food will you have had, will you be fasting, are you going to do it every day, before meals, after meals, beteen meals. Why do you want to stab yourself in order to get an average idea of – what – if you are not diabetic your blood sugar readings will mean nothing. As an example, just to support me, my husband let me test him pre breakfast after 10 hour fast, my BG was 5.2 his was 7.8 – does that mean he is diabetic, no, it means nothing. Tested 2 hours after breakfast mine was 5.2 his was 8.4, does this mean he is diabetic. Seriously, the readings only mean anything if you are diabetic. Also, pricking your fingertips is painful, squeezing the blood out is painful (especially if you have cold hands), pricking the finger cause the tips to lose sensation so eventually you will have no feeling in your fingertips. Pricking my fingers twice a day is worse than the injections in my stomach every night, more painful. Can I also say, if you are going to do this, do not prick the exact tip of your fingers, prick the sides, also use a different finger every time so as not to cause too much nerve damage. Sorry cant help with a brand name as mine is prescribed by my French doctor and is called One-Touch. The machine will cost between £50 and £90, the finger prickers are around £30 for a box of 100 and the measuring bands that go into the machine are around £30 for 60 – 2 months if doing daily.

That is just my opinion, anyone else feel free to disagree, agree or give your own opinions. All welcome.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done S-g you are obviously in the best frame of mind for BSD. Keep on keeping on …….

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi All

4lbs down from last week although the caveat that I am using a hotel’s unnecessarily complicated gym scales.

My pennyworth (which probably doesn’t have that value) is that isolating the impact of gut bacteria on a single food, unless you carried on the experiment for a period exceeding the natural bio-viability of a particular range of gut bacteria, would be extremely difficult and I’m not sure would tell you that much. Isolating a particular variable in a massively complex environment would just be too difficult. Obviously, your choice but it seems a real pain, if you’re not seriously diabetic.

NSV – I’m currently in Qingdao, China (famous for its breweries – Tsingtao) and have just come back from a restaurant meal, where I had squid and veggies and a lovely simmered fish in spinach, washed down with sparkling water and all with not a hint of noodles or rice to be seen. – all very BSD – a big win in a diet usually rich in refined carbs and sugars. I did avoid the intriguingly translated “Duck’s blood in red sauce”, as they couldn’t confirm the duck had been following a BSD compliant diet.

• posted by Nick C
    on

Weighed in at 16st 2lbs, so 6lb / 2.7kg lost this week.
    How long till i break into the 15st / under 100kg mark??? Next mini step is on!

Well done everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, huge congrats to all those posting any kind of loss. Very impressed by the amount of some of the losses being reported, but any loss is a loss, so embrace any shift in the right direction.

My personal result for this week is fairly modest compared to some at 2.6lb, but actually that’s a good loss for me, both because I’m a slow loser and because I’m pretty much at the end of my weight loss journey, so the loses tend to be harder won. However, this lose means I have three pounds left to shift to get to my new goal weight of a flat 8st, which I’m very happy about.

Tomorrow we go to my parents for a few days, so I will be without kitchen and bathroom scales. I will be taking the ketosticks and endeavouring to eat mindfully, modestly and within the BSD principles. With luck I will maintain, if not lose a little. As we are not sure how long we are going to be away, I will probably be reporting my weight status for the end of week two late. Just hoping it won’t have to be a gain!

Keep on keeping on folks.

• posted by Laska
    on

Sadly my scales were up a little this morning 12.8.. . it means a 2.5lb loss from my official start weight , but a 4.5lb loss from the weight I recorded 2 days before I ‘officially’ started back on BSD.

So quite good…. But today hasn’t been so good. – or it was until about half an hour a go ….Why have i just eaten about 100 cals worth of dark chocolate I wonder ? 🙁

• posted by Laska
    on

Sunny…. 8st!!! .. That’s amazing.. Well done! .. if only I could ever get below 10st id be really happy. I’m one of those people with a v slender partner who eats like a horse and never gains ..Id love to weigh less than him .. ( but I never have since I’ve known him though- and that’s 25 years!)

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi all
    I weighed in down 3lbs for the week. I am happy with that. Now 11st 3lbs. No alcohol at all. Sneaked in a few peanuts last night but no scale change (yet)….
    Thanks all.

• posted by Sandy47
    on

Well done all, some great weight losses. For those not losing, hang on in there it will happen!

I’m down 2lbs since last week, which is 2lbs under my pre-Christmas weight. Now weigh10st 11lb, so saying goodbye to 11s and heading for 9s. Would like to get to 10st by end of this challenge.

I have an appointment tomorrow to get my BP checked (currently take Ramipril) and going to ask if I can get bloods checked to see if I’ve lost enough weight to reverse pre-diabetes diagnosis (24 lb). Even if I have, I’ll still continue as it’s working well and hope to stick to this way of eating for life now. Don’t find time to post very often due to busy job but enjoy reading all your posts, it really is motivating. Thanks to all x

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I’ve found it surprisingly quite difficult this week to get back into the groove of BSD!!! I have felt hungry most days. I have lost 2lb and am back at goal weight post Christmas but I could quite easily have eaten a lot more. I think post Christmas it has been difficult to re-focus to getting back in control again. once you get into this way of eating your hunger goes I think. Because I’ve relaxed over Christmas I think my hunger mechanism has kicked back in! Also it’s been so cold and I’ve not been able to get warm. I am determined to stay in the zone because I know only too well that once you take your eye off the prize then you’re back to square one. Hoping to feel back in better control again soon and hoping that my hunger pangs soon go away.

There has been some great re-booting done this week and I have been impressed by the great weight losses so well done to everyone. Have another great week everyone.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I had a visit from the Whoosh Goblin – 12 hour gastro. I don’t recommend it as a weight loss tool.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

No loss for me this week, no gain either despite a visit from TOTM, so I am reasonably happy with that, remembering how the hormone related water retention used to often end with a couple of pounds gain. I have had a little bit of a realisation that I am actually happier not being able to count my ribs anymore, so may not struggle to get all the way back to my target weight any time soon. I do have a few pounds to shift post Christmas but will probably not push below my target for some wiggle room as originally planned. I plan to get back down to my new ‘happy weight’ of just over 11 stone by the end of this reboot but will be happy with that, and I am increasing my ‘trigger’ weight to 12 stone before drastic intervention is needed. Good losses people, and just keep on keeping on for all of us.

• posted by Jax51
    on

Delighted with 4.6 lb loss this week 💪🤓🏆but aware of a couple of slip ups, ice cream & 5 chips were down my throat before I had time to recognise them…. I am learning to be more mindful & vigilant this time.
    Everyone’s posts are inspiring and helpful as I know I’m not alone in my quest. Keep strong everyone, nite x

• posted by WilLuck
    on

A day late with the weigh in this week. But pleased I’ve lost 2.9kg in the first week.

Had a really tough evening yesterday though. I didn’t stay in top of drinking water as I was in an all day meeting. By 5 I clock I had a headache and back ache for some reason. Actually felt. Like I was getting properly sick. I suppose I still might be but I feel better this morning so I’m not sure.

Anyone else had something similar?

Thanks again to everyone for sharing and staying positive.

• posted by zolou
    on

Hi Mixnmatch, I’m also having “a visit from Aunt Irma”, as my daughter says, and had a gnawing hunger all yesterday – craving bread. Didn’t succumb except to eat a few more spoonfuls of the chilli, which actually I think with hindsight was a good plan as it was then enough to get rid of the miserable hunger and I’d had a walk so it wasn’t really going to blow anything. No gain or loss, which like you, feels like a real victory. I like your idea of a “trigger weight”. Sounds like you’re finding a healthy balance.

sunshine-girl, well done, lovely to see those milestones go by. Interesting (and motivating) to hear your experience with the blood tests. I’m curious to know what makes you say the readings mean nothing if you are not diabetic. Noticed there are some ranges here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html. I did do a home cholesterol test once and the results were ridiculously low for both so I was convinced it hadn’t really worked.

Jules-Maigret, sounds like you are really making good use of the local opportunities 🙂 Great cooking inspiration!

SunnyB, that sounds like an amazing loss for the end of the journey and very inspiring for those of us at the beginning! I’d love to know whether the goals people are setting turn out to be about right for MM’s suggestion of waist being half your height.

Laska, you knew how many calories were in that dark chocolate you ate, that’s impressive in itself – and your loss is major (thinking of the packs of butter) so well done! Sometimes they say all you have to do to achieve great things is keeping turning up.

ClarinetCathy, I feel you. It’s interesting what toby101 said about finding the right calorie count for you. I think MM suggests a 2-week review, so that might be an idea – hope you’re feeling better by then.

Natalie, hope you are feeling better!

Nick C, I like your thinking with the mini-steps. I’m shooting for the healthy weight range, which you’ve just made me realise is only 1lb away! Then it will be another 2lb to under 11 stone, then another 4lb to the 150lb mark, which was a previous stable weight. Great motivation for me just as I need it.

Congratulations DoodleDooToo, Sandy, Jax and everyone – not just for the losses, but for all the spadework in changing habits x

We’re still doing this!

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all

Further to my very short post yesterday I haven’t weighed myself today and probably won’t until the weekend now – I just can’t face it.
    There are a HELL of a lot of losses being reported this week – it’s so amazing – you are all amazing. whether you are a slow or fast loser or just planning on maintaining it’s so encouraging that so many of us are having successes.

Putting my modest 2.5lbs loss into perspective, if I did that every week I’d be at my goal in no time – well 8 weeks but that has a nice ring to it!. I also know that’s probably not realistic and one of my ‘resolutions’ for this year was to try and set realistic goals so I’m just setting it at a pound a week. If I could just get under 10st soonish I would be delighted. 3.5lbs to go!

My course yesterday was, very luckily, extremely interesting and time-consuming. I avoided all the sweets, cakes, biscuits and white carbs at break and lunch and just had my spinach and pea omlette (that I brought with) and some salad bits – few slices of pepper, some green beans and some shredded cabbage. The only thing was, and I’d be interested if anyone else has done this, I was actually so embarrassed that I’d brought my own lunch that I felt the need to eat it in the toilets!!!! I know!!! What the hell!!! Has anyone else found this – you don’t want to start having the conversation with people about why you are eating differently so you’d rather just hide it? I used to be really evangelical about this plan but I’ve had too many people say it’s rubbish so I don’t bother having the argument anymore – their loss.

Anyway – I’ve ranted enough – have a good day all KOKO
    TC x

on

Morning all, weight the same today but I know why – I didn’t have a visit from the poo fairy yesterday – too much information. BG is around 5.9 with a 1 unit reduction in insulin, so I am pleased with that.

Regarding my comments about the results of testing using a home method meaning nothing can I qualify it by saying it means nothing because it is random, uncontrolled and the results are so variable as to be a waste of time as you dont know what you are measuring. I know that there are parameters to guide as to what numbers mean you are pre- or diabetic but unless these results are come to using either glucose tolerance test or HbA1c (or there are a couple of others doctors do) then you do not know what you are seeing. For example, if you take a test every morning without eating for say 10 hours you might get a consistent reading for that time but it will also depend on so many other things. What did you eat the day before, sometimes a late night snack can lower blood glucose, sometimes and alcoholic drink can either lower or higher BG. It is so complicated that it is hardly worth the time, the cost and the pain. None of these home kits are accurate be it blood pressure monitor, blood glucose or cholesterol testing. In fact, we have a blood pressure monitor and it had to be taken into the doctors to be calibrated so it was giving the same readings as his professional sphygmo. My concern is that people can get panicked by spurious results and might also be doing more damage i.e. nerve damage to fingers. I do it twice a day because I am on insulin and it has to be carefully monitored but even my machine can have its glitches. Always open for discussion.

I have just done 30 mins aerobic exercise and hoping for some other movements and sticking to the plan with portobellow mushroom meal for breakfast, ploughmans for lunch and clear out the fridge frittata for dinner with a slice left over for supper. Have a good day everyone.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi JGwen
    I have 2 blood glucose monitors – an SD Codefree and an Accu-Chek Performa Nano. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at the beginning of August and got the meters at the end of August so have been using them for between 4 & 5 months.
    The SD Codefree is the one I use on a daily basis to test before and 2 hours after my meals (so 4 times a day right now). The SD Codefree was recommended by a lot of people on the forum at diabetes.co.uk. There is some general information about the SD Codefree here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/sd-codefree-blood-glucose-meter.html .
    One of the reasons people suggest it (probably the main one) is that the test strips are cheap compared to those for some of the other monitors. The starter pack, (which includes the monitor, the lancing device, a few lancets and test strips, is £15.50 (slightly cheaper if you are diabetic).
    On-going costs include the lancets (£5 per 100) and test strips (£9.23 – 50, £46 – 250). There is also a discount code which is in a number of posts in the diabetes.co.uk forum – easy to find – which will reduce cost of testing strips slightly.
    I’ve also got an Accu-Chek Performa Nano which I bought just after the Codefree. I bought it because it was the bg monitor recommended to GP practices in my area (to provide to Type 1 diabetics, so not me sadly) and I found it on offer (rare) in a local pharmacy!
    I’ve used this to record and show my data to clinicians, so e.g. I used it for 2 weeks before my last meeting with the practice nurse and used these numbers rather than the Codefree numbers. I’ve also used it at times to compare with Codefree readings. The Performa Nano starter pack is £24.95 from Boots, (more expensive on Amazon), the test strips are £20 for 50 (Boots, again – didn’t check Amazon).
    There is a question about the accuracy of the monitors generally – as sunshine-girl says. In my experience, the Codefree readings are consistently higher than the readings from the Performa Nano, (I don’t know, of course, which is more accurate) and I get the odd anomalous reading, more than with the Performa Nano.
    All things being equal, I’d prefer the Performa Nano. But the Codefree is much cheaper to run and it does a ‘good enough’ job for me. I’ve found it helpful in seeing the trend in my readings over time (downwards, yeah). It’s also been good at identifying any before and after meal spikes – equally as good at this as the Performa Nano, and I guess this is what you’d be using it for.

Is the experiment to do with testing the impact of the introduction of coconut into the diet which you mentioned in another post? I thought that was a really interesting discussion. Will be interested to hear what your next steps are once you’ve weighed up the costs/benefits, etc. I know you talked about more research into the impact of coconut on blood sugar– it’d be great to have the links to this at some point.
    Cheers
    Marie
    n.b. – I haven’t had many post-meal spikes but from the ones I’ve had they can be related to content, but also to portion size – so if you do go ahead make sure you use the same portion-sizes.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Please don’t be disheartened topcac, you’re doing great. Okay, a cream tea might not have been such a good move, but you’re still showing progress and have learnt a lesson. Take the time out from weigh if you need to, but be sure to stick with the 800 and I’m confident the scales will give you a boost when you next step on them.

Cant’ say I’ve eaten in the toilets, but I know what you mean about having to explain eating differently. Have to say that these days though, I’m comfortable with just speaking up about it and hang what they think. Think have the results ‘under your belt’ helps to give you the confidence to stand your ground.

Take care of yourself and hope you’ll be posting a good result next week.

Please log in or register to post a reply.