2nd 8 weeks starting Tuesday August 30th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hi all
    Just to let you know that I am here! Although I really started last week

• posted by Indy
    on

Hello all!

My week 9 results for today’s weigh-in: down 1.2 lbs from last week which makes me happy because it’s a time of the month when it is difficult to lose any weight!

Walked 43 miles this past week (3 of those days in wretched thunderstorms and was soaked to the bone); saw my doctor for the first time since November. Triglycerides way down; cholesterol down; A1C down; everything better and dr very happy! Wasn’t diabetic before but def pre-diabetic and everything is now squarely in the “normal” range. Dr looked at the book for a bit, handed it back and said, “This is a good diet.” She’s Russian – very dramatic and uses few words. That was an effusive compliment for her!

My interim goal is 9 lbs because it will get me below a number I haven’t been below in probably 20 years! But the 1.2 lbs this week gets me just below 50 lbs to go to my goal so that’s a happy 1.2!!!

• posted by Langerhans
    on

Sorry I didn’t post yesterday – migrainey – but I did weigh:
    30/08 – 117kg

Goal for the next 8 weeks is 7kg. I’d like to get below 100kg by the end of the year as that would be the lowest weight for me since my accident in 2009, and take me into the “obese” category of BMI.

I started BSD on 15/08 and have lost an amazing 7.5kg so far, but I do have a long way to go. But I can see that this works and is sustainable.

Good luck everybody!

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

ok Day 2 over

AFTER DAY 2

WEIGHT NOW: 21 Stone 7 pounds

START WEIGHT: 21 stone 12 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 2: 5 Pounds !!

GOSH 5 pounds already

Yes been back on scales and still same !!!

Couldn’t face day 3 morning breakfast so good old trusty hard boiled eggs for me !!

Didn’t make it to the gym… so long walk for me and more lawn mowing !!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Day 1 – was 76.2 now 75.9 so I cracked my bête noir (French for black beast or my demon number). Blood glucose 5.7. I almost didn’t go swimming yesterday afternoon as I had left it a bit late (it is getting cooler here, only 31 degrees – sorry couldn’t resist but it was 37 last week) and was starting to feel a bit shaky. Then I remembered that on my lunch of jewelled pepper I didn’t have any jewels (pomegranates are out of season now) and I forgot the pistachio so I allowed myself some nuts and half an apple snack. So I had 25 mins in the pool, and I am sure that helped.

on

Hi Jooles, I was interested in your fasting bg so looked back at my daily record (yes I write everything down, exercise, weight, bg, insulin units and results every day) Started diet with bg of 10.5. Day 2 it was 8.7 and fell for 2 more days then went up to 9.8, 8.4, 7.9 and then by day 8 it was 6.9, and that is the highest it has been ever since. Normal readings now between 4.7 and 5.8. So don’t worry, it can take a couple of weeks for it to come right down and then stabilise.

Keep on keeping on we are all winners because we are all losers.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl …. Great! You’ve cracked another milestone.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Hi everyone. I am just starting my second eight weeks after a week off on holiday. I guess I will have to go through those cravings ahain

• posted by loopylou
    on

Oops pressed the wrong button
    As I was saying, I will have to go through those cravings again as I come off sugar. (What an idiot).
    Anyway I am back and ready.
    I am a Wednesday weigher too and as of today am a stone down on where I started.
    I do hope this 8 weeks will be easier as I had too much time away in the last 8 weeks.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

LOOPYLOU hopefully this time the craving will pass quickly or maybe you will hardly feel it at all! X

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Has anybody looked at the dietdoctor.com website? It’s an American website which promotes LCHF eating. In their latest email there’s a link to Dr Moseley’s ‘Beating Diabetes with Michael Mosely’s’ program which was broadcast in Australia. Very interesting, especially for anybody who hasn’t heard him speak before. There’s also a ling to a radio broadcast about the danger of sugar.

If you watch the TV recoding please read the comments below the link. Some of them are really fascinating … they obviously had no idea what he was talking about.!!!

It’s also a good site for recipe ideas etc.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Verano, I have checked out diet doctor before getting into BSD. (and I got an email from them yesterday about Micheal Mosley on the Jeremy Vine show this week talking about the dangers of sugar which I haven’t listened to yet) The only thing is it states that you should not be calorie counting and following a LCHF diet. I did try LCHF before this but you have to go into ketosis to lose weight and it is very inflexible. But i agree the recipes are good.

• posted by Verano
    on

I just thought it may be a good site for ideas etc. I like BSD and wouldn’t alter to another plan but thought it would be useful, especially to some of the new starters who may not have seen any of the TV programmes, as an additional resource .

on

I’ve just clicked into thedietdoctor.com and it came up with F6wellness.com. First page on diet advice, ‘never go below 1200 calories or you will ruin you metabolism…….blah blah blah.

Is the the same diet doctor i.e. Dr Ian Marber because I have his book, a few years old now (2008) so still the old advice but some of the recipes look good, will have another browse.

on

Now I have looked at the book and it is thefooddoctor.com from the book by Ian Marber but seems to have been taken over but a company selling food supplements, so not the food doctor.

• posted by Jooles
    on

I think it’s http://www.dietdoctor.com Sunshine Girl – it’s a pretty comprehensive website run by a Swedish Doctor. I’ve not had a good look around yet but initially it looks pretty interesting.

Thanks for your comments re blood sugars btw… Mine were down to 7.8 today and 8.4 yesterday so definitely going in the right direction 🙂 I had thought it would happen quicker but very happy to see the results so far.

It was an interesting video that Verano recommended which can be found here http://www.dietdoctor.com/insight-beating-diabetes-with-dr-michael-mosley

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl

No think you have a different site. It is http://www.dietdoctor.com and the doctor in question seems to be Dr Andreas Eenfeldt. He’s Swedish, sorry I thought it was an American site. I just found it an interesting site. As Loopylou says he does not advocate counting calories instead he says you should rely on your body to tell you when you’re hungry. Unfortunately, I think most of us have lost the knack of knowing when we are hungry!

Anyway, I think there are some useful ideas and graphics on the website

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jooles

Our posts seem to have crossed!

I watched the video this morning as I’d not seen any of the TV programmes. I quite enjoyed watching him but wasn’t that impressed with the interviewer. I think the program tried to get through too much in a short space of time and the two ‘guinea pigs’ who had been on the plan for 3 weeks didn’t seem that impressed. Maybe, Michael Mosely should have been more forceful in pointing people to these forums!!!

on

Thanks Verano, I have found it now. Nice site, if I hadn’t already found MM I would consider using this. I will browse anyway as I always hope to learn something new. Some of the recipes look good or can be easily adapted.

Just browsing through Ian Marber’s book, I did quite well on this diet (before that awful nutritionist put me on 300 g carb diet) and have just found my absolute favourite snack Spicy Mashed Lentils which I used to put on an oatcake or ryvita, maybe now use as a dip with raw veg. Will check out the carbs before I put the recipe on here.

Skip the lentil recipe just checked and red lentils have 60g carb to every 100g. Even if that is a complex carb it is too much. Anyone know about lentils as there is a recipe in MMs book but brown lentils.

• posted by Verano
    on

Soooo sad … On two counts

Love lentil soup and have a lovely recipe. Since seeing your post sunshine-girl I’m bemused! Yes I’ve seen red lentils at 60g of carbs in 100g then I’ve seen cooked values that when worked back to raw are much lower. I use 500g in my soup, 8 servings, but using Fatsecret sainsburys raw red lentils there are just 17.5g per 100g.

So who knows. Think I may just keep eating the soup occasionally and forget the carbs other than those in my recipe according to Fatsecret.

No 2 ….. tried on a top tonight that I was sure would fit ….. tried 4 skimpy tops on earlier this week and three out of the four were great! The one I tried tonight is still too tight !!! Never mind will just have to try harder!

• posted by Jooles
    on

Hey Verano

Sorry about the top … I can’t help with that 🙂 but I think you are probably alright with your lentils… According to Google net carbs on 100g of lentils is 12g per 100g (20g – 8g fibre) https://g.co/kgs/JOadtO

I’m not really counting carbs too much as I figure 800 cals is hard enough as it is but am just choosing to avoid anything starchy… In saying that I do have lentils and beans and neither seem to be hurting me too much so far. M&S has a lovely Spicy Lentil Soup which has 150cal with net carbs of 9.3g for 1/2 a pot.

Anyway, hope that helps.

on

I think part of the answer with lentils is the difference between cooked weight and dry weight. If I cooked 100g of dry lentils it would make a mountain of cooked so we would never eat that much. The recipe I have for my dip is 100g dried but I think as a small serving it would make about 10 servings, so only 6g of carb. All this science, think I need a lie down.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Verano

Waitrose’ website says 7.4g oer 100g on their dried red lentils
    It states “Typical values as prepared This pack provides 12 servings” – so from a dry weight pack of 500g, that is 7.4g of carb per 42g of dry weight – so equates back to around the 17g figure that you have from FatSecret
    Sounds like an occasional but not every day – although perfectly feasible to build into under 50g of carbs – I think that’s about the same as a gram flour pancake.

I remember a similar conversation on another thread, not about lentils, but another pulse, a few weeks ago.

Great news on the tops – you’ll get there withthe last one!
    In my BHS bonanza last week (7 plain T shirts at £1 each!) I had a range of sizes 1 18, several 16s and a coulple of 14s -they all fit, although the 14s are a bit ‘wear with loos-ish trousers and remember to hold my stomach in’ for now

• posted by Sandralea
    on

Can you keep going with 800 calories a day until you reach your goal? I didn’t notice him stating that in the book…is it healthy as well?
    Hi…I’m a newcomer on day one…and I know it’s going to take more than 8 weeks to reach it!
    Good for you for finishing 8 of them!

• posted by Sandralea
    on

Will you keep going with 800 calories a day till you reach your goal? Is it still healthy? Does your doctor know?
    I’m asking because this is day one for me and I have a long journey ahead…thanks

on

Sandralea, I have been diabetic for 11 years and have not taken the book title literally. To cure diabetes in 8 weeks would be almost a miracle. That is not to say that people who are pre-diabetic or have only been diagnosed for a couple of years have seen the condition reversed and been able to come off medication. Some diabetics are only controlled by diet so making a big change in their diet would possibly give them normal blood glucose results. I am now doing my second round of 800 calories and low carbs and I don’t think this will be my last. I have reduced my HBA1c from 8.2 to 6.6 and want to be down to 6.0 on my next test, still very much a diabetic. Maybe in a year I might see my numbers returned to normal and that is my goal.

As for my doctor, he is more than happy for me to continue, I have around 10 to 15 kgs still to lose and will continue until I get there. I don’t know if he believes my diabetes will be reversed but he has seen my health improve and knows me well enough to know I am a little terrier who has the determination and motivation to keep going.

• posted by Sandralea
    on

Thanks for getting back to me…I was just diagnosed with prediabetes and I know if I keep at the rate I’m going now I wind up a diabetic myself. But that’s good to hear that your doctor said to keep going very encouraging to me as well and that’s exactly what I’m going to do …just keep going and hope for better stats…

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for all your ‘lentil’ facts and figures. My soup recipe which also has carrots and a parsnip in works out at 122 cals and 21carbs for a hearty portion, in Fatsecret, so for the moment I will still have this as a warm, quick lunch when I need ‘hearty’!!

• posted by Medinstructor
    on

Starting our week 3 on Sunday. Go us!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi
    Yesterday wasn’t the best!

Had a couple of blips

Hi

Had a bit of a blip yesterday and am paying today with a gain of 1.2lbs!!!

Just had a couple of ginger oat biscuits yesterday but went out last night. Thought I was OK , had greek salad with feta and half a portion of chicken kebab ….. no pitta, potatoes or rice but still a gain! In some ways it’s good because its made me realise how very careful I’m going to have to be when I go away!

A little warning of things that could make me stumble!

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Hi Verano,
    It seems like you made all the right choices for your meal. Sometimes restaurant food can be a bit salty so maybe the weight increase is just water. See how it is tomorrow???

• posted by loopylou
    on

Ooh I love a red lentil dal. Haven’t had one since started BSD. Might be OK for an occasional treat. It is difficult working out uncooked to cooked weight. I had the same thing with mushrooms, the cooked weight was half the raw weight and I wasn’t sure which to count but then worked out they were both pretty low so I didn’t worry about it.
    I have people coming over tonight for a takeaway curry. I will be good and just have my chicken saag, no rice or naan, although there is a recipe for naan with garlic butter on the diet doctor.com website which claim 3g carb for two pieces. I may give them a go if I get time.
    This weeks goal: If I can lose 4 1/2 lbs by Wednesday I will have lost 10% of my body weight.

on

ok Day 4 over
    AFTER DAY 4
    WEIGHT NOW: 21 Stone 3 pounds
    LOSS AFTER DAY 4: 9 Pounds !!

Exercise. None

Not near a kitchen so have aimed at under 800 today

Good luck everyone

• posted by Verano
    on

You could just be right Little Dipper. I had a bottle of pelegrino and some bottled waters are particularly salty! So maybe that’s the cause….. just keeping fingers crossed!

Well done 54 … Keep going!

Hi I’m having Indian tonight as well but will steer clear of the chana masala that I love. Last time I had chickpeas and spinach it turned out to be full of carbs so tonight will just be chicken tikka and salad … I’ll be clucking soon !!

on

Lost 1 lb or 0.5kg since Tuesday, so I am on my way.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done sunshine-girl! Just shows if you get back on the wagon straight away you get results.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Verano
    Thank you for the info you posted re: Fat Secret. It is so easy to use and I have been adding my favourite meals today. I lost 1st 1lb quite easily doing the med diet – but have stalled with at least 7lbs to go before I am at goal. I suspect portion sizes crept up again – so Fat Secret is just what I need. Have been on holiday and have only eaten BSD friendly foods. The Chefs at every place we ate were quite happy to ditch the carbs and substitute a salad or vegetables instead. We had a 3 course meal every day and for desert I had strawberries and cream – so will weigh in tomorrow morning to see what the damage is. Previously I have managed to put on 10lb in a week but I don’t think I have this time as often I wasn’t able to finish my meal. I will be keeping to the 800 cals until I lose the 7lbs plus any holiday weight I put on over the last week or so.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hi all I had a dip too. Bottle of champagne in fridge had been there for months. People came and OH opened it, so of course…..I mean it would have gone flat would it not?

Still a new start today. Keep on keeping on boys and girls!
    Rxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Great news – hardly dared look at the scales this morning after my holiday and all the full English breakfasts (which were probably nearly 800 calories each), strawberries and cream every day and rather a lot of cream in my coffee but I have only gained three-quarters of a pound. How amazing is that! Was going to chicken out of the weigh in because usually I have put on several pounds – the worst time was when we had a cottage near a super bakery that did wonderful bread – I put on 10lb in just one week.
    It shows how addictive carbs and sugar are because usually after a holiday carb fest I struggle for weeks to get back to more healthy eating. Today I feel that I could only manage quite small amounts of BSD food. I spent some time yesterday inputting my favourite meals into fat secret and I am back on the fast 800. I read posts on this forum every day while on my hols – it really helped me to resist temptation, especially when a croissant started calling my name. It is so good to feel a part of such a supportive and knowledgeable group.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done KrysiaD!!!

I’m away tomorrow for three weeks and just hoping I can do the same as you. You did really well. Think if I keep reading these forums everyday then it might help to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I’ve had a real strange week this week. Since finishing my first 8 I seemed to have lost some impetuous. I was fine for the first few days and dropped down into the next stone but the last two days, although I’ve tried to be ‘good’ , I’m back up into the stone I’ve just left!!!!!!

Just seem to be in the doldrums at the moment. Hope it passes soon.

Hope you’re all doing well.

on

Another 3/4 lb since Friday, my weigh in is on Tuesday (as thread says) so will see what that brings. But very happy to be back on course.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I definitely think it was reading the forums that kept me on the straight and narrow. It is the first holiday that I have ever had where – although I did eat more calories – they were all legal. Before the holiday my portion sizes had crept up a bit and I had hit a plateau so I decided I would continue with this on holiday – but today I am re-energised and back on track and am doing the 800. I think that it is great that I can ease off a little sometimes and as long as I only eat the legal food – which I now really love – my weight either stays as it is or I have a tiny weight gain.
    In the past I have done WW, SW and Rosemary Conley. I was either on the diet or spectacularly failing. This time it is different – maybe because it is a lifestyle change and not really a diet, and I do really love the food. What was great also was there seems to be a much greater willingness by chefs and restaurant and pub staff these days to cater for low carb eating.
    Well done Sunshine girl on your weight loss – I hope to be able to report the same next week

on

ok Day54 over

AFTER DAY 5

WEIGHT NOW: 21 Stone 1 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 5: 11 Pounds !!

Exercise. None

INTERESTING FOOTNOTE:

I suffer from macular degeneration (Fluid on the macular) and my eye sight has been getting worse steadily for 3 years in one eye. This is measure by viewing letters on an special eye chart and having a scan to measure the fluid in the eye.

Every 4-6 weeks I am monitored and either have to have an injection to remove the fluid or am monitored.

Today my eyesight has IMPROVED

I can see more letters and have less fluid on the eye without an injection.

So is the diet causing this improvement !!!

Comments Please.

Have you experienced this diet bonus ?

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Hi there
    Keep me a seat on the bus! I have dabbled the odd day and did qiite well on 5.2 diet. I will be 40 in December. I have had 4 children and have the body to prove it. Have been walking load too which I intend to keep up ! I am not weekly weighing as I get despondent on poor results but would hope that in 8 weeks I will see some results!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Great news on the plateau front – this morning 1 lb down – so have lost the three-quarters of a pound holiday weight and taken a quarter pound step off the plateau.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done KrysiaD!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Thank you SunnyB – feels great to be back on track and looking forward to Tuesday’s weigh in.

on

ok Day 6 over

AFTER DAY 6

WEIGHT NOW: 20 Stone 13 pounds

LOSS AFTER DAY 6: 13 Pounds !!

Exercise. Long walk

(still not up to 10000 steps ! Must try harder !!)

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

well done 54andfatnomore
    Amazing weight loss!

on

Had a bit of a shock this morning. Weight up half a pound and b/g 131 (7.2) Not terrible but first time this has happened since I started the diet 9 / 10 weeks ago.
    Just so you might be able to spot something, yesterday I had –
    breakfast – 1 egg scrambled with one large mushroom – tiny bit of butter for cooking
    lunch – beetroot, apple and bean soup – as per MMs recipes (although I did discover this has 39 g carb but have had it before with no ill effect)
    dinner – 4 slices of skinless, fatless duck breast marinated in 5 spices spices and olive oil served on brown lentils, roasted red pepper and asparagus.
    Snacks – 20g chicken breast before my swim, 6 pistachio nuts and 4 almonds after swim, 1 slice of ham with 30g wensleydale cheese (before bed snack)
    Discovered I had only had about 630 calories so allowed myself 10g v v dark chocolate which I often have and 1 large vodka and slimline tonic.
    Total calories 805, total carbs 65 – though above the 50 it is probably what I normally have although I don’t usually count carbs, just avoid them.
    Exercise – 40 minutes swimming

Obviously the vodka and tonic are now gone but is there anything else that looks suspect.
    edit: just looked again and the calories were 805 before the drink – oops, was that it
    Bisous xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.