Settings in MyFitness Pal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AlexX
    on

Hi, my first time posting here. I started the BSD 4 days ago and I am encouraged by my progress. I am using MyFitnessPal to keep me accountable (in a relaxed way).
    Can anyone help me with what % I set in ‘Goals’ for Carbs, Fat and protein, please?
    Thanks

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

NHS UK says this!!! http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/reference-intakes-RI-guideline-daily-amounts-GDA.aspx

They state one should eat 260 gm carbs!!! 90 gm sugars!!! and 70 gm of fat!!! with 20 gm saturated for an adult on 2000 kCal/day and they do not see how they are contributing to the problem of obesity. They list 496 gms of food and so % would be 52% carbs? 18% sugar?? and 14% fat. This does not sound right to me…

On BSD carbs are 30 mg/day and calories 800 so it depends in what you eat. Hopefully someone who uses fitness pal will give you some pointers. But we need to increase fats, oils and greens with a good fluid intake.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Hi AlexX, and welcome!

You could try the website above which takes your measurements and suggests to you a mix of carbs, protein and fat, which you can then type in to MyFitnessPal.

It’s the way I worked out how to adjust the balance. This website says that you are ketogenic (i.e. fat-burning) on 50g of carbs a day or under – depending on your personal stats – but you can also get Ketostix on the web which will let you test very easily if you are fat-burning or not.

Hope this works for you! The BSD doesn’t really restrict your carbs, so long as they are good ones, but trying to balance yourself out with fewer carbs, but making up the calories with fats (counter-intuitive to most of us) as well as protein, does seem to work well!

• posted by AlexX
    on

Thank you both for your replies. I thought that the BSD resticted carbs to 30g a day. I can’t work out how to apply that to MFP settings. I wish there was a BSD app/tracker.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi
    to reset the proportions on MFP, go to MY HOME, then GOALS, and then you can click on EDIT and change the proportions if you have new ones from the keto-calculator site I posted. This assumes you are on a laptop rather than iPhone.

In terms of BSD setting a carb goal of 30gm, I am not sure this is specifically stated – please point me to the page if you think I’m wrong, though – 30gm is quite low and you will see that the leto-calculator site says that most people are in ketosis if they eat less than 50gm of carb.

If you get the Ketostix I mentioned, you can test this out for yourself, very simply.

Hope this helps!

• posted by AlexX
    on

Thank you for your help Igorasusual
    I am new to this way of eating. I tried the Keto website and if I put in 37g carbs, the percentage values are calculated at 12% carbs, 23% protein and 65% fat.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi AlexX –

the calculator is of course personal to you, depends on all your stats, current exercise etc.

My mix was rather more protein at 20g carbs (I’m challenging myself I know) or 10%, 84g protein or 42%, and 43g fat or 48%, all the percentages being of course for my 800 target calories. I took the middle (recommended by the site) view for the protein.

It may well be that you try a little of this and see if it suits you, or doesn’t. To be honest, I am trying to keep the carbs low, but don’t get too upset if I am a little over, and then I do focus on ensuring I’ve got the fat right to keep me full.

I do hope this helps and very good luck to you – I’m feeling really chuffed with my progress, and hope you will be with yours

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

Hi AlexX,

These are the targets I loaded into MyFitnessPal:

Carbs 50g 25%
    Protein 80g 40%
    Fat 31g 35%

I’m vegetarian so it’s almost impossible for me to get so low with the carbs to be ketogenic (legumes have built in carbs as well as protein). I also hesitate with going too high with fat. I click on the little pie chart each day and I’m pretty happy if I’ve got rough thirds for the macros, even if the carbs are a bit over 50g. That’s still way lower for me than my pre-BSD days.

• posted by AlexX
    on

Hi OzVeggy, I am still new to this and only in my first week. A couple of days ago I adjusted my goals to
    Carbs 30g 15%
    Fat 53g 60%
    Protein 50g 25%

I am going to see how that goes and if it’s too difficult I will increase carbs/reduce fat. Looking at the last couple of days I haven’t always eaten the fat but today I am adding in some avocado.

Please log in or register to post a reply.