What have you eaten today?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sparklyfairydreams
    on

thanks for your reply and kind words hashimoto,

i’m glad it looks ok because i literally decided today was the day at 6am, que me jumping out of bed to boil some eggs and then fly to morrisons on my way to work to grab lunch ha ha! ๐Ÿ™‚

i have just used my fitness pal to log everything, found it easier to do the whole day at once, so i know where i stand,

ooh i need to nip to aldi to get a cauliflower for tonights cauli rice to go with chilli so will get some, thanks for the tip

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by PeteSuffolk
    on

Love this thread – just what I need!

B – black coffee
    L – Split pea soup
    D – veg curry and cauli rice.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sparkly, sometimes just jumping in is the right thing to do! You obviously know how to do it and. You will quickly reap the benefits!
    I’m impressed that you are counting your carbs from day one!

Hi Pete, it is a really useful thread isn’t it? Are you counting carbs as well? It’s a help to others if they want to follow your menu.

I hold my hands up here because for a few weeks I hadn’t realised it was a good idea ๐Ÿ™
    I love split pea soup, especially with a glug of olive oil and chopped mild onion on top a la Rose Elliott style! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by PeteSuffolk
    on

I roughly check the carbs in what I eat, but I am in danger of becoming a diabetes bore. I can see it in my wife’s eyes! Luckily I am only prediabetes indicated, so just trying to get the reading down a bit rather than trying to undo actual diabetes. I don’t want to be an unsociable bore so being flexible when with friends etc. Going to France for two weeks in a fortnight and there is no way I shall be able to turn down all patisserie and baguettes, so will try and keep to a minimum but not too stalinist!

• posted by Fatty
    on

So today…

Good…. Nothing yet.. plan

Lunch cottage cheese and sardine and salad++

Dinner Ham and sweet potato wedges and other blanched veg….

Yesterday.. NOT GOOD…
    Lunch – Mushroom soup with low carb high protein bread…
    BUT… am wondering at the correct labelling (or not) of the bread as it says 6g of carbs per 100g… I had 80g… so not much carb , However, the drive to eat more carbs was PHENOMENAL… gave into it and ate Speculars and a snickers bar that I walked to the shop to get and bout… 2.5km… haha… so am wondering at the carb content of said bread!!

Dinner – lamb cutlets and salad..

Have decided that one day is not a HUGE fail in a 8 week journey… its just a day… and nothing compared to what I may have put away on a bad day previous to this diet…

My BSL are all over the place and it is not helping with motivation… think it may be the letting go that everyone predicts and some have experienced at this stage… However… I have realised that I am not moving as often… still walking more than 10Km a day… but… MM talks of BSL being up to 30% lower even in non diabetics who move every thirty minutes… I did this in the first four weeks… have set my alarm today to remind me again…. we shall see…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fatty, you’re right, yesterday WAS just one day. Now you are back on the wagon with a valuable lesson learned:
    starchy carbs are lethal for you!!!
    Hashimoto

• posted by Fatty
    on

You know what Hashimoto… they really do make me sick…. part of what happened is that, after the bread, I got – what I had aways identified as a sinus headache, or a low sugar headache… and then eating the rest of that rubbish made me feel WORSE…and I did not sleep well last night…

You and Bill are often saying how much your learning – we all are… Like some one else said the other day… I also don’t drink alcohol much because it makes me feel BLUGH.. and I am adding carbs to that list too…. (sorry I cannot remember who said the same thing) But whoever it was – thanks for making me make the connection too….

Onwards.. x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Pete, you don’t need to be a bore! Just a revolutionary!!

I had friends round for dinner last night – a variety of health problems and therefore some individualised foods BUT half of them were so ‘stuffed’ that couldn’t manage a dessert of berries and FF yoghurt!! Not a starchy carb in sight!!!
    This is what we had:
    1. broccoli and cauliflower soup with a dollop of cream cheese
    2. Peanut butter dip and hummus with a lot of cruditรฉ ( one friend can’t eat spices)
    3. onion bhajis ( the friend who thinks she can’t eat spice proceeded to eat 2 bhajis)
    4. Salmon parcels ( veg/spices according to needs of each individual)
    5. Mix of berries with FF yoghurt

All friends later said they had not even noticed that there were no starchy carbs with the meal!!!
    Just goes to show! I bet your friends would be the same!

I hope your holiday in France goes really well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fatty, it really is making me wonder how much bad health problems have been down to starchy carbs!!! It’s amazing how they make people feel ill again after trying some.

I’m a coward – I’m not even going to try.

I said to my friends last night that my idea of having a roast potato and a roast parsnip at Christmas as a treat is rapidly disappearing. Why make my self feel yuk? I don’t long for any of it so I just won’t have it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

Isn’t it weird that what a lot of us want as a treat is to be allowed to make ourselves feel sick with too much food or the wrong food. Like that bloated headachy feeling is a special treat for birthday or Christmas, we deserve it? No we don’t!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Too true Natalie!!!
    I prefer spinach to potatoes anyway!!!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Carommartin
    I weigh everything and count calories. I put it in Myfitnesspal which calculates carbs fat and protein as well as calories. I found that their info was not accurate sometimes so I made my own list on ‘my foods’ so I know it’s accurate. I get most info from Calorie King. Com. You have to deduct the fibre from the carbs on that site because it’s U.S. to get net carbs. Calorie King have their own MFP type system but I’ve never used it.
    Some people – Bill for example- don’t count calories. So whichever you prefer!
    Penny

• posted by PeteSuffolk
    on

Today (day 3)
    B – black coffee
    L – small bowl of veg curry with gram flatbread
    D – turkey steak, roast cauliflower, mushrooms and leeks.

I think I may be reaching my cauliflower cusp! What with cauli rice, cauli cous cous, roast cauliflower et al. I love it but my innards are starting to complain! What else can I have as the ‘filler’ accompaniment?

• posted by LizB
    on

Today (Day 11)
    B – greek yogurt, ground flaxseed, blueberries
    L – pan-fried salmon, sautรฉed spring onions, steamed broccoli
    D – cauliflower, broccoli and leek soup (and wish I’d have sprinkled some feta on it)

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Aubergine is pretty bulky. Portobello mushrooms. Courgetti?
    The latter is my favourite for bulk ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by PeteSuffolk
    on

Try the hairy bikers roasted cauli! 1tsp coriander seed, 1tsp cumin seed, 1 tsp mustard seed, 1tsp kolonji, few black pepper corns. Pinch of salt. Grind seeds in pestle and mortar and add to cauli florets together with a glug of oil. Roast on an oven sheet for 15 mins or so. It needs to look slightly caught. (Dont waste any of the greenery or stalk of the cauli. Just chop it up with the florets. It tastes just as good.)

• posted by Dearbecks
    on

L – salad with a lentil, quinoa & spelt mix (from morrisons) an apple & clementine
    D – venison meatballs in creamy garlic sauce on portobello mushrooms with greens

I put on 2lbs over the weekend (2 dinners out with wine ๐Ÿ˜ณ) but lost them this morning ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I’ll give it a try Pete, I do love cauli.
    I’ve always used the leaves and stalks, I’ve never understood why people would throw them away! ๐Ÿ™‚
    They’re good in cauliflower soup as well – more bang for your buck!

• posted by SunnyLife
    on

B: 4oz mushrooms sauteed with 2 cups chopped baby spinach seasoned with garlic, pepper and salt, two scrambled eggs

L: Two lettuce wraps filled with 2oz turkey breast, sliced tomatoes, and a TBLS of hummus split between the two, I also had 85g of baby carrot

Dinner: 4 oz grilled pork on 2 cups of spring mix, cucumber, tomato, blueberries, red/yellow peppers, shredded carrot, and a dressing made from greek yogurt, dijon mustard, granulated garlic, pepper and a bit of sweetener

Snack: 1 cup unsweetened almond milk made into a pudding using cocoa powder, vanilla extract, sweetener and glucomannan

My calories are around 800 each day, I track using MyFitnessPal, I don’t follow the recipes in the book but rather do it using my own recipes that suit my tastes

• posted by Jandz100
    on

Really struggling at the minute as I have no appetite, think I’m too tired from working 7 weeks of overtime.

Yesterday:

L – sausage & lentils
    D – chicken, asparagus, broccoli & courgetti stir fry (didn’t eat it all)

Today:

B – full fat yogurt & berries
    L – left over stir fry (again didn’t eat it all)
    D – last of stir fry, 3 slices pastrami, 2 slices ham
    S – full fat yogurt & seeds

According to myfitness pal I’ve had about 500 cals yesterday and about 600 today ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• posted by Zendo
    on

I have noticed also, that even though I eat very little at 800 calories a day, I sometimes are just not hungry. I live with it because of the benefits but I would like to understand what is happening.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

What is happening Zendo is that you are doing everything right.
    The full feeling is coming from the extra fat in your diet because it takes your body so much longer to process plus, a lot of what we have always called hunger was actuallyy carbohydrate cravings. Now you are in fat burning mode, you no longer need carbs so your body isn’t crying out for them.
    On an aside, had a meal out last night at an Italian restaurant. Had to be careful with choices as most of the scrummy food is sauce laden and we don’t know what goes into them.
    Settled for king prawn in garlic starter and a fillet steak with vegetables.
    Delicious and FBS today was 6.3 so a result.
    You can eat out if you just plan carefully.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Zendo, what Bill says! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Switzerland
    on

B – full fat natural yoghurt/berries/seeds
    L – poached egg on avocado slices
    D – cottage pie and cauliflower mash (yum)

• posted by Toni
    on

Low carb waffles with strawberries and dollop of yoghurt – I find the coconut flour in recipe makes them rather dry – I’ll use almond flour or half of each next time
    Prawn Pho from the 5:2 diet book – added extra mushrooms and snow peas and ‘Slendier’ or konjac noodles – virtually no cals in these.
    Roasted eggplant (aubergine) stuffed with ‘bolognaise’ sauce left over from the other day when I had it with spiralized zucchini –
    I always add some greens on the side.
    I have two coffees a day before lunch with a spoonful of real cream, and at about 5.00pm I often have a cup of decaf tea with unsweetened almond milk and a slice of the skinny brownie from the main book or hommous with celery and carrot sticks – keeps the wolf from the door while preparing dinner!

• posted by Leeanne
    on

B- 200g Fage Greek yog/strawberries
    L – 2 Heck sausages grilled/ small tin tomatoes
    D – poached egg /150g baked beans

Teas to drink
    (First time I’ve tried Heck sausages – found them very filling and tasty)

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hashimoto – would you please share your garlic frittata recipe? Sounds yummy!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi HappyLife,

In a 20cm cast iron frying pan:

Fry half an onion (chopped)
    1 clove garlic
    1 small chilli pepper (if you like it)
    Some sweet pepper,mushrooms (basically what veg you fancy)
    When it is all cooked add some rocket and let it wilt
    Add 4 eggs and quickly stir it through the veg, leave to cook through.

When almost cooked pop it under the grill to cook the top.

Sometimes I add left over bacon
    Sometimes I sprinkle cheese on top before putting under the grill

As a rough guide the frying pan is half full before I stir the eggs in

Courgetti
    Fry some garlic and chilli, add courgetti. Stir in some cream cheese or parmesan (or both!)

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thank you all! I started yesterday and was really lost but reading what you all are eating is a great guide!!!!
    Special thanks to Hashimoto for his frittata recipe! (I can’t find the post where I asked him for it – how do I do that?)
    Yesterday:
    B – Bircher – 245 cal total.
    1 tblspn raisins (35 = 50 cal)
    3.5 T apple juice(50 cal- 1.5oz
    2 T ground flaxseed (75 cal)
    2 T full Fat Greek yogurt (20cal)
    Pinch of ground cinnamon
    1 T walnut pieces (50 cal)

L- 3 oz salmon
    1 cup mixed vegies and 1 t butter

D- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
    1 apple
    25 raisins

S – 1 oz aged cheddar

I went over by 78 cal but lost 2 lbs as of today. One thing is I hurt everywhere starting last night and hadn’t been at all. Fingers, back, knees all got super inflamed for some reason. Wondering B if it was the tiny bit of red pepper for lunch (1/8 cup) as its a night shade.

Anyone else have inflammation when they first started?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Happylife it is in this thread!!! In fact just above your latest post on this thread!
    Judith ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thanks Judith, I see it now!!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Day 2 Today – 737 cal 37 carb

B – boiled egg
    L – 2 oz salmon, 2 boiled egg, 1/2c carrots, 1/2 mushrooms, 1 c strawberries
    D – 3 oz salmon, 1 c raw vegies, 1/2 berries, 1/2 Greek yogurt

Hugs and thanks to all in here for sharing and supporting!
    ๐Ÿ’—

• posted by Leeanne
    on

B – Fage yog/50g blueberries
    L – half tin tuna, tomatoe, cucumber, lettuce
    D- sirloin steak, tomatoe, cucumber, spring onion, half tbsp mayo

Tea to drink

• posted by Jandz100
    on

B – full fat yogurt & warm berries
    L – nothing
    D – lamb tagine with courgetti
    S – full fat yogurt with cinnamon on top

I need to use stuff up out of freezer, careful planning needed so don’t eat too many carbs, thankfully have a week off work so can miss lunch if needs be as never normally hungry when at home during day

• posted by Christine Denise
    on

B poached egg, 2 turkey rashers, tomato
    L veg soup, apple
    D ostrich steak, broad beans, green beans, mushrooms
    Will have sugar free jelly with raspberries later

• posted by Stewart
    on

2 poached eggs and spinach for breakfast, reddish and chopped carrot (raw) as a snack and olives and king prawns for dinner.

It is strange – I don’t seem to be hungry, so just had nibbles this evening… (the olives and king prawns)

Total today 770 calories

• posted by SunnyLife
    on

B: protein shake
    L: lettuce wraps stuffed with smoked turkey and topped with a mix of finely diced cucumber, tomato, and feta
    D: Grilled salmon, baby spinach sauteed with lots of garlic

I’m at 640 for the day, I’ll probably have another protein shake for 160cals, I’ve been eating a lot of grilled meat on spring mix greens or romaine, I’ve grown tired of them but I really don’t need them as filler anymore because 13 days in, my appetite has decreased considerably. I need to come up with some ideas for meals this coming week.

• posted by barby
    on

For yesterday

Love my veggie fryup!
    B 2 Linda McCartney frozen veggie sausages fried
    1 egg omlette with chives/black pepper
    2 tiinned tomatoes

L Salad with beetroot, celery, lettuce, 2 toms, cucumber, grated carrot, 3 thin slices Goats cheese (from Lidl was really nice)
    + table sp Hellmans Mayo F/F

D Stirfried cabbage and courgette with ginger and garlic, with little cream cheese stirred in + sprinkle parmesan

I think this was about 700 but I was full.

• posted by MooLoc
    on

B: mashed avocado, lemon water
    L: omelette with half a large mushroom, ham, onion & then nuts
    D: chicken & spinach curry with cauli planned
    Snack – I also made some light lentil & bean soup to keep me going.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi MooLoc,
    Would you mind sharing your light lentil and bean soup recipe? Thanks so much!!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Sunny,
    Would you mind sharing your protein shake recipe?
    Thanks!

• posted by Rachel75
    on

B – two hard boiled eggs and half an avocado (256 cal)
    L- Prawns and a bag of baby leaf and rocket salad (148 cal)
    D – haddock fillet, mushrooms, spiralised courgette (169 cal)
    snack – 250g cottage cheese (185 cal)
    Total: 765 cal.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

L – cauliflower & broccoli cheese
    D – spicy pork ribs & courgetti lightly fried in butter, garlic & chilli flakes
    S – full fat yogurt & berries

planning to make the cottage pie with cauliflower mash from recipe on here for tomorrow, will help use up more from freezer.

• posted by barby
    on

B – 2 hardboiled eggs
    L – Quorn burger + salal + half burger roll
    D – large bowl minestrone soup with parmesan

• posted by thepolly
    on

Lunch, Tiger Tiger – Whole Water Chestnuts in water, 140 gram
    Tiger Tiger – Sliced Bamboo Shoots In Water, 140 g
    Wakame – Instant Miso Soup, 2 Packet (18g)
    Generic – Garlic Clove, 1 clove (3 g)
    Carrot – Medium, 35 gram
    Egg – Organic Brown, 50 g
    Onion – (Red), 37 gram I used the miso as a base and chucked the rest in, it was really filling too. Egg added at the end as I was trying to go for the hot and sour soup texture but I’m not sure how to do it without scrambling the egg… was still nice though

Dinner, Iceland – Chicken Thighs Amended, 178 g ovenbaked
    Generic – Celeriac, Boiled Mashed, 235 g
    Goldessa – Cottage Cheese 4.5%, 100 g
    Was going to mash the celeriac with butter but just put the cottage cheese on top of it instead.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Day 3
    748 cal 48 carb. 50 protein
    B – 2 egg omelet w 1.5 oz cheddar and herbs
    L – 2 oz smoked salmon, 1/2 tomato, 1/4 avocado
    D – 1/2 can Amy’s Lentil Vegetable soup, 1 cup roasted Brussels sprouts

In the morning I was very weak and felt faint but by afternoon I was full of energy. Guess my body figured out its not getting lots of carbs finally.

• posted by SunnyLife
    on

HappyLife – Protein shakes

The shake I use is called Premiere Protein, I find them in Costco and Sams club, if you don’t have those, look around, you might find similar. They’re great for on the go.

When I”m home I make my own using recipes from the Trim Healthy Mama diet that are categorized as FP/Fuel Pull for both low in calories and fat

This is one of my favorites, it comes out to 165 calories, I also add a two TBLS of unsweetened cocoa powder to make a chocolate version for 185 calories
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/489414684478184734/

This is another favorite that is about 170 calories
    http://www.briana-thomas.com/mock-frosted-lemonade/my

• posted by Ingenue
    on

Just going to tuck into red pepper and chicken curry with toasted cauliflower rice with onion,,almond and ooconut nomnom!

• posted by Embob
    on

How do you toast your cauliflower rice please Ingenue? x

• posted by MooLoc
    on

Happylife – my recipe was
    1oz red lentils
    A tsp boullion
    100g cannellini beans
    1/4 onion
    Sweat this off in a pan, add one litre of water and simmer for 30 mins until lentils are softened.
    It’s a very thin soup but works for me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.