'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Oh, congratulations, ay caramba! What fabulous news, you must be so excited and happy!

You are an inspiration to others, not only for the blood sugar results (surely you must be on the verge of coming off metformin totally, and will see this after your next test) but for the weight loss and your new healthy lifestyle which you’ve established after less than 6 months!

So great to hear these success stories! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Wow congrats everyone and to ay caramba for the great results!!
    ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒท๐Ÿ’™

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Ay Caramba that’s all I’ll say!!! :-)) Yes, you are a star patient – one who looks after themselves! Congratulations!! :-))

• posted by Boomer53
    on

Hi Bubblesdevere. Thanks! Great idea for a support group. It seems a lot of people here are from the UK. I guess that is where MM and the book originated. I am from Ohio in the US. Anyone else from Ohio? An in-person support group would be super. Everyone keep pushing onward!

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Igorasusual, Happylife, Epspecially and the rest of the BSD world,
    Thank you for your good wishes and encouragement.

Can’t really go around telling people my BS is now normal 5.5% and my Metformin prescription reduced……even though I am thrilled!
    Think I am still a bit embarrassed by the T2 diabetes diagnosis. It was a huge wake-up call.

This community allows people to communicate their highs and their lows with people who understand.
    Thank you to the forum. It has certainly helped me loads…..yuk sounds a bit schmaltzy….sorry!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

After all my concerns I have lost half a pound this morning. Hooray! Off to London on a stomach full of protein and fat-rich foods and a coffee in hand, with no plans to go wrong…. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Week 10 day 1
    Only lost .8 lbs in week 9 of BSD800 and no inches. Seems this was plateau week. Just will keep on moving down the path as I have still lost over 30 so far and lost many sizes in clothing.
    Happy days to all!

• posted by Bruno
    on

Hi HappyLife,
    Most of us went through that. You’ve got to congratulate yourself, you lost over 2 stones in 8 weeks….. well done.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Struggling a bit today, having gained 0.8lb yesterday. Trying not to let it phase me, as I was in ketosis this morning and am sticking to the regime today. I’m hoping it was a blip and that by the end of may week (Sunday) I will see an overall positive result. Still, bit difficult be really positive today, even though I know it will come right eventually.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Don’t be downhearted, it’s only a blip, you know you can do this and you are back on track today, so that’s what really matters.
    And the reality (for me, at least) is that these changes in the way I see food and eat food need to be permanent, even though I have increased my calories now I am in 5:2 maintenance phase. So life will intervene now and again and I need to take the long view! So be kind to yourself, you CAN do it.

Best wishes Bissell

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks Bissell, you are right of course, but sometimes the mind doesn’t co-operate the way you’d want it to. As long as I weigh in on Sunday at less than I was on Monday, I’ll take it as a win. I am determined to make this regime work for me and I have proved to my self before that BSD works and so know it will work again. Had a break for a ten week trip away – although I did eat more or less to the plan throughout – now I’m back to being serious and trying to drop the 2.8lb I gained while I was away plus several extra ones as well.
    Have a good w/e Bissell and well done for getting to the maintenance phase.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi sunnyB,
    I hope you are feeling better about yourself, and I’m sure you will start losing again soon.
    How much have you lost so far, and what is your target weight?
    I have been doing the diet since February, I lost two stone in two months, then since then I have yoyoed up and down! Been ill and struggled, had a few lapses, however I have stuck to the main principles and I hope my weight will start going down again soon.
    Like Bissell has said, you can do it, keep on keeping on!
    Christine

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Christine
    Since I started, overall I have lost a stone and my aim is to lose another stone and if I get that far, may be half a stone more. It’s been a slow process for me though. No startling losses, just the odd pound here and there. I did 7 weeks on the 800 before I went away for ten weeks and lost 13lb. I have just stated again this week having gained back 2.8lb while I was away. Even with todays blip, I am less than I was on Monday, but I’d really like to be at least 2lb down by Sunday weigh-in.
    You have done brilliantly to have made such a big change in such a short space of time. I’m sure you will be seeing positive results again soon.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi sunnyB,
    Thank you, I’m sure I will be back on track soon, I must say I had a bad start this morning, I had 100g fage yogurt and a passion fruit, then had the stomach cramps, however, since I had my lunch, (two egg omelet with 50g cheese) I have felt better! Tonight have had a simple salad. Again no after effects, so hope it’s the beginning of the end of this awful tummy upset!
    I hope you start to lose again soon.
    Christine

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Hi Boomer – yes Im in Andover UK not Andover Mass.! ๐Ÿ™‚ As word spreads about this life changing plan you will find local people who would benefit from support. In the meantime, this group of marvellous people are supportive, positive and motivated! Good luckx

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thanks everyone for all your continual inspiration!
    I thought I should share that although I was in a plateau week 9 I was just told by my doctor that my blood pressure is now so low I need to stop my two blood pressure meds right away!! I have been taking them for about 10 yrs and always said someday I would get off of them. And now I am!
    Lots of high fives and hugs from my doctor.
    Happy times!
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Frog
    on

congratulations Happylife – that’s brilliant news, you must be delighted (and Happy!)

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi BubbesDevere
    I went thru Andover yesterday on the train, I came down to see the Sophie Ryder exhibition in Salisbury, I love her work, and really enjoyed it. I’d been meaning to travel down for weeks – then realised the exhibition closes next week.
    Did you manage to see it?

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thanks Frog! I am! ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Bissell
    on

That’s such an achievement Happylife, congratulations!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Fantastic achievement HappyLife. ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Today’s weigh in shows another 3 pounds lost since last Saturday. Total to date now 71 pounds.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just wanted to share that I had what I might call a triumphant trying-on session last night. All the clothes i haven’t fitted in for 5 years now fit, and the things that fitted but didn’t look good – because I couldn’t “carry them off” (if you know what I mean) now work again. And it’s worked in 7 weeks!

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Went to hairdressers yesterday and was asked constantly about BSD so was able to share about the benefits – people particularly interested about the lifting of the “fog” in the mornings and the feelings of wellbeing.

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great day everyone

• posted by ay caramba
    on

HappyLife
    Amazing that you are off your BP medication. High Fives all round…..respect!!!!

Way to go Captainlynne …..the pounds just keep on dropping!!!!!

Igorasusual make sure you wear those beautifully fitting clothes to the max in that ‘infernal window’!!!!!!!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thank you all for the kind words about getting off my BP meds! It’s scary not to take it today but exciting as well!!

Lynne, you are just amazing!! Did you ever have a plateau week?? 71 lbs – just amazing!!!!!

Igorausual way to go!! So exciting to have “new” clothes isn’t it! Congratulations and enjoy them!!!

Hugs to all!
    ๐Ÿ’–

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi happyLife,

Congratulations on being able to drop your blood pressure meds!
    So this is a new day for you, not taking the meds? Good luck on the rest of your journey.
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi HappyLife

Just checked back through my notebooks for you.

No, I haven’t had a plateau week so far. I weigh daily and sometimes the weight stuck for several days but Inalways managed to lose at least a pound on my official weighing day Saturday)

But back in March I went to Prague for 4 nights and came home 3 pounds heavier. The next week, however, I lost 5 pounds.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Christine: yes it’s my first day without meds in 10 years! So exciting!

Lynne: who’s that’s so great re no real plateaus. You don’t eat fruit much do you judging by your comment once about strawberries being so sweet? We were having fruit everyday and still under 50 carbs but now we are only have it a couple times a week.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

HappyLife

No, I don’t eat fruit. Years ago when I was first diagnosed I was at Weightwatchers and eating fruit until the nurse told me to cut down on it.

I did find that all fruit spiked my blood sugars, so it’s better for me to not eat it.

Since starting on the BSD I did try very small portions of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries but didn’t find them worth the carbs. So it was interesting to realise how much my tastes have changed. I never thought I could find strawberries too sweet!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thanks Lynne, that’s great knowledge to have and I hope cutting down some helps my plateau as well.

• posted by Loren
    on

Good morning lovely BSDers! Weigh in day for me. End of week 7 and another 4lbs off for me. That’s 2 stone and 1lb altogether! Suddenly weight loss has become quite obvious as 6 inches has come off my waist. Absolutely relishing walking around in clothes that are too big for me (feeling like I did when I was a student! ). Reluctant to buy too many new ones yet as still have more weight to lose and I still have odd lumpy bits but a few key staples will be necessary. Hope you all have had a good week – look forward to hearing your stories!

• posted by PArra
    on

Good Day all

I have lost 8 Kg,s. I went for a blood test And Sugar has dropped from 51 to 44. SO I think I am doing well
    But now my cholesterol is higher I am on the Med Style Diet. And I am not sure what
    Diet To follow any suggestions. Thanks Lynne

• posted by bigP
    on

4th July 2016 – 85.8kg – 189lbs – 13st 7lbs – BMI 26.0

Weekly loss – 2.1kg – 4.6lbs – Though the weight is down overall, it has jumped up from a Sunday low of 85.1kg after a big dinner (though no carbs were involved) on Sunday evening.

Loss so far:
    Since June 2014 – 54.8kg – 121lbs – 8st 9lbs
    Since 1st March 2016 – 38kg – 84lbs – 6st
    Since 4th April 2016 (beginning of BSD800) – 24.7kg – 54lbs – 3st 12lbs

Current target โ€“ 82kg โ€“ 181lbs โ€“ 12st 13lbs โ€“ BMI 24.9 โ€“ This will take me into the healthy BMI range for the first time since i was a child.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done, well done, well done BigP! Magnificent results!
    And also wonderful news re the weight loss and blood sugar from PArra – congratulations Lynne. If you type Cholesterol in the search box at the top, you will get some useful threads about this. It seems that keeping the carbs low in terms of grams may help.

My OH went for a blood test this morning after showing me he had to fasten his belt yet another hole tighter, and apparently said to the nurse that he felt better than he had done for years (which is nice to hear, as I was the one to persuade him to start the BSD).

She asked what he was doing to achieve that effect, and he explained about low carb/no refined carbs, and she replied that this was strange as carbs were what gave you energy and were essential to one’s diet. ๐Ÿ™

For some reason he didn’t mention BSD – goodness knows why – you can obviously do your own research on low carb diets of which there are many, but I think Michael Mosley has set it out in a really simple and user-friendly way, giving people a simple plan to execute.

I shall give him a kick next time we’re at the doctors and actually MENTION THE BOOK! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi PArra
    In May ’15 I had all my bloods done and my glucose was 5.2 and my cholesterol was 5.3. (I’ve never been diagnosed with type 2 diabeties, but was overweight and decided to start the BSD on 19 April to lose weight and get healthy.)
    I was the low fat queen before the BSD and now I don’t cut any fat off my meat, I eat full fat diary every day and I eat eggs every day, sometimes up to three.

I was very curious to see what these changes would have to my cholesterol levels and was pleasantly surprised at the results.

At week 8, I got my bloods done again, so just over 12 months later and my glucose is now 4.8 and my cholesterol is 4.5.

I’m now at week 11 and I’ve lost 17.2kg as of this morning.

The research I have done also said to expect a reduction in the cholesterol levels as it’s the fructose that everyone is consuming that is the main offender in the rise in cholesterol levels and I’ve cut that from my diet as much as I can (much to my husband’s disgust as I tossed his beloved tomato sauce when I saw how much sugar was in it – table sugar contains 50% glucose and 50% fructose and it’s the fructose that is causing all the problems)

I’m not a doctor and only know what I’ve read, so I can’t explain your increase, but I’ve noticed others on the BSD that have posted on this have also noted a decrease. Maybe look at what sugars that contain fructose that you are consuming?
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by gettingthere
    on

It has been 12 weeks since I started and I lost 17kg in 9 weeks. 17cm from my waist and I have 13kg to go. I am starting on the supported program in Australia so I can learn more. I have to redo my bloods and get my dexsa scan done to finish off my weight loss and reassess my blood sugar. Off to doctors this week for repeat bloods. Fingers crossed my hba1c is down. I am reading labels differently but don’t miss the carbs, just had some occasionally.

• posted by gettingthere
    on

That’s awesome, you must feel very proud of yourself. A new you. Way to go!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see so any brilliant results being posted here. Mine are not so spectacular, but I have dropped 1.4lb since this time last week. I have to admit, I was over cals most days and only registering a low reading on the ketosticks, so I am grateful for ending up with a loss of any sort. Today, I am more focused and back properly tracking cals and carbs.
    Good luck to everyone for great results this week.

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

End of week 4 for me and I only lost 1lb last week. Bit of a disappointment after the initial big loss in the first week (8lb) followed by two 3lb loss weeks. Still it is in the right direction. I was careful other than one evening when I had a few people over to supper and I ate a normal sized portion. Still it was not a huge meal. There we are. I have to be careful not to get despondent and think well it doesn’t matter how hard I try, so I may as well have a Twirl or three…

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Great results everyone! The health stats are seriously impressive. Why doesn’t every one know about this way of eating!!

I’m focussing on the superficial weight stuff tho hopefully healthier on the inside too. Week 7 just over and another 1.4kg gone yaaaayyyy!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ another stone to go until goal weight though sneaking into the healthy weight bracket in half a stone, v exciting!!! Feeling happier in my self and less preoccupied with food – picking good options is still sometimes a battle but a more automatic battle now๐Ÿ˜

It’s definitely gotten bit easier in the last week or so, and I credit cauliflower rice and curry for lots of it! It’s just so much nicer than normal rice.

• posted by MARG38
    on

Hi everyone Just starting week five and am down 13 lbs – not as high amount as others on the forum but I am so happy with the result. The loss has slowed down a bit but as long as I keep losing something I am happy. Exercise has been hard as I have arthritis in the knees (and almost everywhere else I think) but I am doing my best. Not all that easy when you are 77 I find. Lots more energy just the same and feeling great.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Those are great results MARG38, over 2lbs a week on average and still going down! I have found my arthritis has benefited from my weight loss, at least it is easier to go up the stairs anyway! Enjoy the extra energy!

• posted by Timmy
    on

OK, so my climb back onto the wagon was slightly slower than expected, but even though I was having the odd (not so odd!) drink my eating was impeccable. And because of that my weight was completely static for the whole time I was off the wagon! Result.

Anyhow, I’ve been like a saint since Saturday and I’ve shifted another 0.7kg so my weight is now tantalizingly close to under 90kg! I’m currently 91.7kg. This is monumental for me. I haven’t been sub 90kg since I was in my 20s and I can’t wait to get there! My aim is to get well below the 90kg mark before I go on holiday in August, and to either maintain or lose weight when I’m away.

I’m one of those annoying people who normally loses weight on holiday, as I’m either skiing all day or in the pool/sea swimming or playing with my kids (depending on which holiday it is!). This is despite the copious amounts of brie, pate, beer, wine and cognac that I consume!

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Igorasusual, well that nurse is completely wrong I’m afraid!! The only things that are essential are essential fatty acids (good fats), essential amino acids (usable protein) and essential vitamins and minerals. The rest of it the body can produce on it’s own if needs be!

Whilst it’s true that the brain only uses carbs/glucose for it’s energy, this can be produced within the body from fat and protein if it’s deprived of carbs. Saying that, the brain would probably be more efficient with a diet with some complex carbs (like what we are all doing) rather than absolutely no carbs at all. However it is possible to live without them, or with hardly any. The Chukchi for instance live most of the year off nothing but reindeer meat, with the occasional snack of partially digested vegetation from the reindeer’s gut. I don’t like the sound of that diet!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

What great results from everyone! I don’t think the actual size of the weight loss is what matters – it does vary so much from person to person and indeed day to day – I found that my shape altered considerably whilst weight stayed the same, and therefore it’s good not to get attached to the actual poundage. Feeling great is the best measure. And getting the hang of how what you do may affect your body, which is definitely trial and error.

Timmy – yes, I absolutely know that carbs aren’t the thing which give you energy. I think I’ve read much of the same stuff as you have, and the hormones within the body are very capable of using stored fat within our cells to run our bodies very efficiently, so long as we don’t give them lots of refined carbs to use first. It’s just that health professionals seem not to have been brought up to date, and if we can’t depend on their expert knowledge, it casts most people (who don’t research the subject) into the outer darkness of what they should do.

And it takes courage to go against medical advice, as many people have found over the years.

I’m wondering if we are on the verge of a complete breakthrough in thinking, which will turn the ‘low fat’ conversation on its head. And then all the things we’ve been told over the years will suddenly be ‘wrong’…..

• posted by shopgirl0423
    on

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post and I am starting the program tomorrow morning. I must say reading about everyone’s amazing results is very encouraging and I am looking forward hopefully improving my post cancer surgery lymphedema as well as dropping some 20 kilos. I’ve got the book on my bedside table and healthy food in my fridge so I should be good to go!

• posted by Timmy
    on

Quite right Igorasusual! Health “experts” are nothing of the sort in a lot of instances!

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Shopgirl wishing you great success on your journey! Regarding the lymphodema, I have regular reflexology treatments for it and it is by far the best treatment for it that I have found but you need a really good practitioner. There is a lot of info on line on the benefit of reflexology for post operative cancer patients. I live in Hampshire UK and have a wonderful reflexologist.

This is a brilliant forum with so much encouragement and support. Lots of tips and good info as well. It certainly helps if you are not alone on this journey.

Warmest regards and welcome,
    xx

• posted by shopgirl0423
    on

Thank you Bubblesdevere for the warm welcome! I have got a physio who specialises in lymphedema who I see on a regular basis and she has helped a lot.

Day 2 and down 1.2 kilos! I realise most of it is fluid but hey it sure boosts my confidence in the program. I’d better get that tape measure out as well :).

Have a great day everyone!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Welcome to all the newbies and great first couple of days loss shopgirl! Even water weight loss is great as it takes pressure off our joints and makes our hearts not work as hard for sure!

Wishing you all the best!

• posted by Timmy
    on

91.2kg today. Down from 99.5kg on 6th June which was my start date. Want to get into the 80s soon! Can’t wait.

Please log in or register to post a reply.