'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Whalleyrange
    on

Well its the end of week 9 and this week I lost another 1.5 kg and now weigh 103.8 kg. That’s down from 120.3 kg and a total loss of 16.5 kg ( 2 stone 8 pounds). Over the last 4 weeks the weight loss has stabilised at around 1 to 1.5 kg a week and so should hit my initial target of 20 kg loss by week 12. Reading all the positive posts on the Over 8 and 16 threads really encourages me to continue with the BSD 800 just to see how far I can go.
    The only problem I experienced for the first time this week was severe constipation. And it was very bad. Needed suppository laxative and caused a lot of discomfort. Realised that I had not been following the water guidelines and advise from the forums. I drink lots of tea during the day but not water and feel that this contributed to the problem. I now have a bottle of chilled water ready in the fridge to dip into and this has, hopefully, resolved the problem. So lesson learnt, listen to the wise members and avoid a weekend of pain and discomfort.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Whalleyrange,

You’ve had such great results on the BSD. Sorry to read about your saga over the week-end – ah yes, “listen to the wise ones” (said in the voice of Yoda or Obi-Wan Kanobi).
    One thing’s for sure, you’ll definitely be keeping up your water intake from now on.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Wow, Whalleyrange you’re doing so well!

I find Magnesium in a powder really good for constipation, might be worth a try?

Am drinking loads of sparkling water (I hope no one tells me there’s something bad about it!!:-))) with lime or lemon – really nice and easy to drink a lot.

I’m on day 4 YAYY ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

Stacey how exciting that your husband gets to see a big change all at once! Almost worth him being away for a while.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi, I’ve also upped the water and am on sparkling with sliced lemon/limes.
    I’ve recently, first time in my life, been suffering with constipation so thought the extra fluids might help. (I’m not complaining tho ‘cos for me for the last 5 years I’ve been “going” up to 6 times a day all due to Metformin, so once a day now for me is a dream!). Week 11 for me and still at it!

• posted by Patsy
    on

There was no change at the end of last week. That’s because, for a variety of reasons, I didn’t avoid carbs. I’m back on track again now and hopefully will start losing again soon.

• posted by smith
    on

Hi !
    I am about to start the 800 diet has anybody got any tips/advice etc they wish they had known at the start?

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Smith………How exciting for you just starting! I’ve just graduated to week 16 and still think it’s brilliant! Have lost 44 lbs I think it is now. My advice – follow the recipes as much as you can and discover ones you love. I spent hours writing down the ingredients I would need for a whole week and buying all that food so I knew I had everything at my finger tips and no reason to stray from the straight and narrow. Now I still use a lot of the recipes and truly see this as a new way of life not a diet any more. Had a major blip over Easter but went straight back on and dealt with it! Have had a few plateaus which is hugely frustrating when it happens but you just have to persevere.

Good luck with it!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,
    End of Week 7 weigh in: down 1.1 kgs this week, total loss 7.9 kgs. Waist down a total of 8 cms.
    Still learning heaps about low carb meditteranean style eating and tweaking my lifestyle to incorporate regular exercise and mindfulness meditation.

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Hi Switzerland,
    Well done ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
    I am also at the end of week 7 and have lost 7.1 kgs in total ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I am feeling so much healthier and so many of my clothes are too big!!
    I have heaps of energy which is just as well because I have just had a really rough couple of weeks with the death of my adored sister in law at the age of 64yrs. She had Lupus and was in renal failure for the past few years needing twice weekly dialysis. My home has been the gathering place for family members who flew in from interstate. Still with all that I only weakened my resolve a few times especially after the funeral when a couple of gin and tonics were consumed.
    The moral of this story everyone? Live every minute that we have! Look after the body we have been given so that we can enjoy our lives and not be trapped in negative thoughts and past bad habits. I think of sugar as poison now and I am in control. It does not control me! Happy Friday to you all. After another night shift tonight my husband and I are heading to a Bluesfest at the Gold Coast to find some joy in music and try and lift ourselves out of the sadness of the past couple of weeks. What are all of you up to?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Smith
    the biggest lesson I have learned is not to get hung up on Fasting sugar readings.
    They can drive you insane and are frequently high because of the dawn effect.
    I now test before and after my main meal of the day, the FBS readings can go fly.
    Ignore the odd plateau, it’s natural and the weight loss will start again.
    Also ignore the naysayers. You won’t starve or die or anything else, done properly this way of eating can give tremendous results.
    I’m 35 pounds down with a waist reduction of 8 inches on week 14 ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi mid week weigh in week 3 10 LB’s down unbelievable. Feeling very carb hungry today , have been drinking my water , for me the diet seems to phase through feeling alert ,buzzing and not hungry, to hungry and tired.i guess my body is adapting, the best thing is that I am more aware as before it woulS have been stuff in the food! Anyone else feel this ? Well done all

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi MerryMary,
    ….and well done you, especially with the sad time you’ve had. Lupus is a dreadful disease – it just lingers for so long and lulls people into a false sense of ‘she/he’s’ doing so well and then a fairly rapid downhill spiral.
    I’m sorry for your loss.
    Do enjoy the Bluesfest – if nothing else it will be a welcome distraction.
    You’re so right with living every minute….who’d have thought that watching a documentary and reading a book would put so many of us on a life-enhancing trajectory….BSDers making every minute count.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Can I add to the ‘make every minute count’ brigade? Off to a funeral shortly. Man in his 50s had massive heart attack, hit his head as he fell. Was in ICU in an induced coma but was brain dead. His wife and parents are absolutely devastated.

We owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to be as healthy as we can for as long as we can. We’re on the BSD for a variety of reasons, but ultimately it’s to get healthier, fitter and slimmer๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Amen to that Lynne and sorry for the loss of your friend! A friend I know lost someone dear at 57 who went to bed and was passed away when they tried to wake her on Mother’s Day recently.
    You just never know so cherish those you love and be a kind soul on earth while you are here I say.
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Week 22 weigh in. Lost three pounds this week, making total of 58 pounds so far๐Ÿ˜ƒ Another two pounds and I’ll be officially ‘overweight’!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Can’t remember if I’m on week 14 or 15 but the big new is……….. (Drum roll please)
    My weight now starts with the number 13 ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    3 pounds lost this week for a total of 38 pounds lost and 13 stones 13 pounds.
    I may just get to that 13.5 stones target by June 9th after all ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by orchid
    on

Congratulations – well done! Looks like another shopping trip will be needed soon Bill ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

This is so inspirational. Congratulations and very very well done to all who are re-educating themselves into a healthy way of life and enjoying their journey (most of the time!) to getting fitter and slimmer. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Congratulations Bill. Hope you reach that target for June 9th!

• posted by feltwicked
    on

Hi all, here’s my details taken from my Profile too.

Residing in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, male, age 54, Type 2 Diabetic for 10 years, on 2x tablets of Galvumet (Diaformin won’t dissolve in my innards for some obscure reason), High Blood Pressure on 1x tablet Exforge.
    Abbreviations: Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS); Blood Pressure (BP); Weight (W)
    Started BSD 28 April 2016 – W 98.4kg; FBS 4.8 mmol; BP 130/75.
    Week 1: W 96.1kg (-2.3 kg to date); FBS 4.9; BP 126/70
    All medication ran out on 20160506 so stopped using it.
    Week 2: W 95.1kg (-1kg (-3.3kg to date)); FBS 4.6; BP 142/76
    Week 3: W 94.1kg (-1kg (-4.3kg to date)); FBS 5.6; BP 131/82

Now in Week 4 … my partner, Jeanette, is also on this diet and has lost more weight than I – our girths are trimming down too. Thank goodness … Okay … thank Michael!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Huge congrats to you Bill – you give
    Us all hope if we keep doing this we will also get to our goals and be healthier!
    Round of applause for you!!
    ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Feltwicked……………..have you told your doc you’ve dropped your meds? Makes me nervous……………..! I’ve lost 45 lbs now which is 20.4 kilos I think, in 16 weeks. My bs has pretty much halved and I have just dropped half of my metformin – will see doc next week after having had hb1ac tests so we’ll see what he says. It is amazing though isn’t it! I’m just too scared to drop all meds without being told – generally a sadly obedient perso!!

We lived in Oz for 10 years – had a house in Eumundi and also in Auchenflower so know Brisbane quite well, kids went to UQ and lived in St Lucia – returned home to the UK in 2013.

• posted by feltwicked
    on

Hi Tallyhoo,

I love Eumundi, and I used to work near Auchenflower. I’m in Woodridge (it’s a lot better now than back in the ’90s).

As for the doctor, no I haven’t told him yet. He is one of those “If it isn’t recommended by the Diabetic association (NDSS) then don’t do fad diets” types. I am visiting him for the full blood test very soon as I am interested in the results. I am carefully monitoring my BS and BP. I am amazed that the readings have barely increased without the medications. I am not a person who likes to take pills without good cause – admittedly I would not advise anyone to do what I did, this is my body and health and I, alone, am responsible for it, every one else must do what they feel is the right way for them.

Keep in touch,

FeltWicked.

• posted by Marcus B
    on

Hi Weigh In Thread people ๐Ÿ™‚

Pleased to report that half way through week 6 I’ve joined Bill in the 13 club… feels very different from the weigh in on day one when I realised I’d joined the being in the 16 club!

Congrats on all those losses lovely people ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by BabsG
    on

At the end of week 2 I have lost another 3.5lbs bringing my total for the two weeks to 10lbs. My blood sugar has dropped in two weeks from 127mg/dl to 112. Really motivated for the next week.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

One week done yipppeeee! And 2kg lost! Doesn’t sound like much but I’m delighted๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ˜‚! Guess if I think about it in bags of sugar it’s pretty good to have gotten rid of it. Also finally started feeling more normal yesterday morning and all headaches gone this morning. Looking forward to all the healthy and tasty food I’ll eat again this week.๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey Marcus, isn’t it a brilliant feeling ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’ve smiled my way through the weekend despite being struck by a really nasty coldy / fluey type virus that’s doing the rounds up here at the moment.
    Congratulations to everyone this week and, if you hit plateaux etc, just keep doing what you’re doing.
    There are enough long timers around now who have proved that the weight loss just starts again ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by bigP
    on

23rd May 2016 โ€“ 94.3kg โ€“ 208lbs โ€“ 14st 12lbs โ€“ BMI 29.1 โ€“ 7th week of BSD800 done
    Weekly loss 2kg โ€“ 4.4lbs

Loss so far:
    Since June 2014 – 46.3kg – 102lbs – 7st 4lbs
    Since 1st March 2016 – 29.5kg – 65lbs – 4st 9lbs
    Since 4th April 2016 (beginning of BSD800) – 16.2kg – 36lbs – 2st 8lbs

Current Target – 93.8kg – 207lbs – 14st 11lbs – BMI 29 – when I reach this I will have lost 30kg since 1st March 2016

• posted by keeptrying
    on

wow bigP your weightloss achievements are awesome
    what a great example you are setting

• posted by Patsy
    on

1 lb loss this week – making a total loss of a stone!

This is taking me longer than for most people, but I am getting there. I feel fine, am sure I’m eating healthily and am not hungry until just before dinner, so don’t think there’s a problem with continuing as I am until I reach the weight I want to be.

Especially when I first joined, someone here (Bill perhaps) said to think of the weight loss as 1/2 lb blocks of lard. When I try to picture 28 of them, I can see I must be much healthier without them.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Well done BigP. That’s really impressive. Congratulations to everyone else who’s sticking with it too.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Too true Patsy (and Bill) – blocks of lard disappearing! :-)) I’m really happy that the scale has finally gone down, for the last few months I was getting really worried as no matter what I did it seemed to go up, slowly and steadily. It’s great that this works for so many people – I love hearing about the health improvements too!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Epspecially
    It’s good to envisage your weight lost as bags of sugar or blocks of lard. It gives you a mental image of just how much fat has gone.
    Look at some of the big hitters like CaptainLynne et al
    Bags of sugar don’t quite cut it for them, now it’s sacks of potatoes ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by barby
    on

Yes Bill, great idea – I have only lost about 18 pounds, but if I got 8 packs of sugar at 2 kilos each, and carried them around, I’m pretty sure I’d really notice it, and be struggling with carrying that weight of sugar. Looking forward to qualifying for a sack of potatoes ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Me too Barby ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Only 18 pounds to go ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    How many chips in a sack of spuds?

• posted by Epspecially
    on

hee hee sooo many chips! :-))) But who’d want them ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wow go Barby and Bill! That’s seriously impressive

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just weighed a tin of cat food – the gross weight is nearly 1/2 kilo
    So I’ve nearly lost a tray of six cans (newly arrived delivery stacked in the hall waiting to be put away, os its an easy reference point!)

So the the 8 trays just delivered (heavy to lift in) is 24 kilos
    Overall, I want to loose 18 trays of catfood – there is NO way I could carry that around all the time, it was hard work enough moving the box of 8 trays!

• posted by Frog
    on

The chips – only with mayonnaise – and I weighed some of that yesterday and 100* calories for a teeny amount (three chips worth!)

• posted by Epspecially
    on

a tray of six cans of catfood loss is pretty brilliant – good on you Frog!

• posted by Patsy
    on

When you think in terms of losing more weight than we could lift, it shows what strain we’ve put on our bodies by carrying that around all the time. I don’t want to visulise what’s still there – will concentrate on adding to the lost pile. That’s the important one as it’s staying off, whereas the extra I / we’re still carrying is a temporary situation which is getting better every day.

• posted by Frog
    on

Thanks Especially!

Patsy – scary, isn’t it! I was chatting to a friend who is pregnant when we had that warm spell a couple of weeks ago (I so hope that that wasn’t Summer in its entirety!), and she was saying that she’s pleased she’ll be giving birth before it got to summer because of carrying the extra weight.

I know there’s fluid, and other gunk aside from the actual baby, but now thinking about the excess weight I’m carrying in relation to that!
    If I loose all the weight I want to, it will be the equivalent of giving birth to an adult! (albeit a non-overweight one!)
    SO – the eight weeks will be up mid July – if I’ve managed to loose the claimed average of 14 kilos – that’s 31lb – several babies

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Patsy thanks so much for posting this as I don’t think consciously I really thought about how hard the weight was for my body albeit of course I know if I stop to think about it.
    Agree re adding to the lost pile is a great way to think about it!
    Your post was a great nugget for me, thanks so much!

• posted by Slimchance
    on

Hi everyone,
    I would just like to say how motivational this thread is and your achievements are an inspiration to me and, I’m sure, so many others. I hope this is the right place to post my first weeks results, so here goes.
    Starting date 16/05/16: Weight: 15 st 3 lbs BS 5.9
    Week 1: 23/05/16: Weight: 14 st 9 lbs BS 3.9

I have lost a fabulous 8 lbs and feel great. I must admit some of the withdrawal was horrid – I had really bad aching legs, but thankfully that’s all gone now and I’m truly loving this new way of life!
    Thank you for reading, and I hope to learn so much more about myself, the diet and you on our exciting BSD journeys.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Morning fellow life changers ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s weigh day for me and I’m down 2.5 lbs this week, just short of a stone in total so getting there at my own pace ๐Ÿ™‚

bring on week 6, and well done to you all

• posted by pkd2004
    on

I’m new to the diet, and this is my first post. I’ve spent the last week on the diet on 800 calories and low carbs (give or take!) and have gone from 10stone 4oz to 9 stone 11oz a loss of 7 lbs in 8 days. I’m very pleased and surprisingly not too hungry. However, I am struggling to run like I used to. I want to be running 3 miles 4 times a week, but find it difficult to find the energy so far. I will be building up to longer distances (running another half marathon in October) but want to lose more weight before introducing more carbs to help me run. Difficult situation really. But weightloss is great so far! I didn’t know how much I loved spinach ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

well done for your first week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi pkd2004, welcome to the forums.
    Amazing achievement in your first week, you must be so happy.
    Prof Taylor says exercise is not necessary in the 8 weeks so perhaps you could run shorter distances for a while?
    Your body is still learning how to burn fat instead of carbs for energy so you will feel a bit weak doing anything so strenuous at first. I found I was getting a bit lightheaded on longish hill walks in the first 3 or 4 weeks. Once your body has adjusted you may well find you don’t need carbs for energy. A lot of us who have followed the diet for 3 or 4 months (or longer) find we don’t want simple starchy carbs anymore because we feel so much more energetic without them.

Good luck for the rest of your 8 weeks. : )

• posted by Stacey
    on

I agree. Pkd124 when eating 800 I dont think heavy cardio like running is advised. Weight training is much better if you want to do the 800bsd and keep exercising, also look at walking, 10000 steps is 6km and 500cals burned.

Or if you want to keep running purhaps look at the 5:2 diet and dont run on fast days.

• posted by pkd2004
    on

Thanks Stacey and Hashimoto for your advice and thoughts on the running, and Izzy for kind thoughts. Will have a rethink and after this week maybe have days where I up the carbs before a run. I did yoga last night and that was absolutely fine so maybe I’m adjusting!
    Thanks very much

Please log in or register to post a reply.