'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well done Lynne and Bill, the losses just keep on coming. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

To my great surprise a pound dropped of this morning making a total of 3 stones! Well chuffed! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I wish my brain would speak to my bloated stomach as I feel like I’ve put weight on!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill I’m pleased your bs is settling down and you’re close to that beginning with 13 number!:)

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Well done you ! That’s a brilliant achievement.

• posted by Jean
    on

Hi there. I don’t have diagnosed diabetes 2, but do have high blood pressure. Started BSD on 10th April 2016. Had a hiccup initially due to celebration with friends, but still lost 2.8 kg in the first week and blood pressure has dropped.
    2nd week lost 1.3 kg and 3rd week 700 grams. That’s 4.8 kg in 3 weeks. Amazing. I have also dropped 6cm off my waist. So happy with this plan and don’t feel hungry at all now. I lacked energy in the first couple of weeks, but now full of energy. Would highly recommend.

• posted by LMS
    on

That’s great! Keep up the good work Jean. Are you following the 800 calorie diet or 2 days fasting at 800 calories (5:2 BSD)? Thank you, Linda

• posted by Jean
    on

Hi Linda. I’m following the 800 calorie mediterranean diet, keeping the carbs to 50 grams or less. Also, making sure I do at least 10,000 steps a day. I bought myself a fitness tracker to make sure I was doing the steps. How are you going?

• posted by Fionafleming
    on

Hi everyone i started on 23 April and so far lost 5.7kg. I have been drinking over 3 litres of water a day. I weigh everything i put on my plate and calculate calories and carbs using a great app snd the internet. Freezer is full of homemade foods for the coming weeks.
    I will weigh myself twice a week, but still in shock at amount of loss. Constantly checking the scales and move them to different rooms to see if they are defective! But no… they are right.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Fiona
    Welcome to the forum and well done!!
    Yes, it really does work, doesn’t it!
    I’m on Week 2 , day 6 and lost 4.6kg in my first week! It’s a lovely feeling to see the weight go down quickly.
    Keep it up.
    Linda

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great results fiona ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Well done Jean and Fiona.

3 lb loss for me this week. I’m losing more slowly than a lot of people (average 2 lb a week) but it’s going down and I feel fine and will be happy to continue with this eating plan until I reach my ideal weight, so I’m not worried.

• posted by Christine Denise
    on

Hit 4 week mark today. 15 1/4 pounds off now. Nearly 60 so happy with this speed of weight loss, walking more now. Cruise in 5 weeks looking forward to trying on my evening clothes. Devising a plan to minimise weight gain on holiday. Probably won’t keep to it every day but will do my best.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done ChristineDenise, in another 4 weeks you are going to love your new self in your evening dress! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Christine Denise
    on

Thanks Hashimoto you are a great support to everyone

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christine i was delighted when I could fit into some posh frocks I hadn’t worn for years so I know how you wi,l feel!
    And thanks for the compliment ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Napangardi
    on

Well after three days of remaining the same weight and feeling somewhat frustrated my body decided to release 0.9 kilos. Lesson is to relax and to keep committed. I did up my water but not as much as I intended. I shalll try to do so today!

• posted by LMS
    on

Hello Jean, I am just getting started and trying to decide which plan to follow. 800 calories seems like it will take some “discipline” to follow. I am using My Fitness Pal (MFP) to help keep track of my dietary intake and exercise. When I enter exercise in MFP, the app adjusts the daily caloric intake. For today, with 30 minutes of exercise on the treadmill/elliptical and 1 hour of yoga, the adjustment was ~ 400 calories. Is it okay to take in more calories with exercise? Please let me know what you think. Thanks for motivating me! Sincerely Linda

• posted by Chongololo
    on

adding my numbers, I am stunned. Started tuesday, but plan to weigh in on Mondays (thus avoid potential weekend blowouts, I won’t have a few days on plan to undo damage!)

yesterday (Mon) down 3kg. I jumped on this am (Tues) and another 0.6… down! wow. 3.6kg in a week. I AM fat, but not a stonking great huge person, and I’m also an hourglass shape not an apple. (Think it just indicates different hormonal profiles and stuff. i thought it may be less dramatic for non-apples… PROVEN WRONG!) anyway, it should slow up now. but still. I’m a bit stunned. NEVER done a diet before where people have asked me if I’m losing weight in the first week….

• posted by neohdiver
    on

LMS,

If you are really following the 8-week, 800 calorie diet for purposes of mimicking Dr. Taylor’s studies to inducing diabetic remission you don’t get to increase calories with exercise. Calories are gross calories (not net, the way MFP calculates them).

There are lots of people here doing their own thing, though. If you’re counting carbs – for example – you’re doing your own thing. The research on which this was based did not include counting carbs (except incidentally based on the shake that happened to be provided without cost and the advice to eat 200 calories additional non-starchy veggies).

I have added a daily fast to my routine (from 10 PM-ish to 3 PM -ish the next day). That’s not part of the plan, but it fits with my routine and my research suggests that fasting 14-16 hours is long enough to clear the glycogen stores from my liver so I’m starting from scratch daily, not continually topping off my glycogen (so this is a complement to the very low calorie diet).

So whether it is OK is a very different question from whether you are following the BSD. OK – yes. Following the 8-week BSD – no.

• posted by Hawks
    on

UP 3kg.
    Well, it was a bad week. Back to being more careful and conscious of eating.
    Could be interesting with the weekend I have planned – staying with family and celebrating with friends…
    Still, only 8 kg to go before I am allowed to get on a horse. That is my shortish term goal.

• posted by Jean
    on

Hi Linda. I am eating 800 calories only and the exercise calories burned are a bonus. I have found that after the first few days eating 800 calories was quite easy and I don’t feel hungry at all now.

• posted by Izzy
    on

my weight hasn’t dropped since my mid-week weigh in, but that’s still 2 lb’s for my week two so I’m happy with that ๐Ÿ™‚

congrats to you all for your losses!

• posted by Beverley
    on

Keep at it folks! I reached my under 100kg first goal this morning – 99.9kg and that’s good enough for me to celebrate! Feels great to be this side of 100kg again. Now to head for 95kg by the end of May… I’m feeling very confident I’ll reach it.

The BSD 800 diet is awesome! I’m not following the recipes or menu plan in the book and am doing my own thing – over the next couple of days I’m going to construct my own menu plan following the principles so that it’s as nutritional as the one in the book. I haven’t been hungry on this diet and I haven’t had cravings.

I have been counting carbs and do notice that when I keep the carbs around the 50g per day mark AND drink at least 3 litres of clear fluid (water, tea, decaff coffee) a day I lose weight. I am sure that drinking all that water is the key. When I don’t drink it I get the headache again.

I have consistently heard on health programs on the radio over the past few months that exercising doesn’t contribute much at all to weight loss – it keeps us toned and builds muscle, which is heavier than body fat. There is a lot more in this diet that simply restricting our calorific: understand how the mechanisms of how the body processes and uses the food which we eat is key. It’s what we eat and when we eat it. The BSD 800 has been carefully put together to ensure that we don’t get hungry or cravings past those first few days, provided we remember to drink lots of water too. And it works. So many people in this forum can attest to that.

It can be disheartening to go through those plateaus every other week. That’s the time to pick up the pace with exercise, walk a few more steps, etc. Exercising helps to boost our mental state and confidence as well as tone the body: it builds and improves our immune system too (much more than all the super foods and supplements can!) I think the magic in the BSD 800 is the fact that we’re eating as much as our bodies need (for normal daily living) and the 10-14 hour fasting that is built in to it and the 5:2 diet do the rest of the work. Michael points out in the book that the diet has three aspects to it: calorie restriction, increase in exercise and mindfulness practice.

My husband has lost 2kg on the diet so far, compared to my 10kg that’s not a lot but then he doesn’t have as much to lose. I love how this diet works for us as individuals. That aspect alone has sold me on it. It works with our individual bodies, helping us to gain health, whatever that means for each of us.

• posted by Beverley
    on

Keep at it folks! I reached my under 100kg first goal this morning – 99.9kg and that’s good enough for me to celebrate! Feels great to be this side of 100kg again. Now to head for 95kg by the end of May… I’m feeling very confident I’ll reach it.

The BSD 800 diet is awesome! I’m not following the recipes or menu plan in the book and am doing my own thing – over the next couple of days I’m going to construct my own menu plan following the principles so that it’s as nutritional as the one in the book. I haven’t been hungry on this diet and I haven’t had cravings.

I have been counting carbs and do notice that when I keep the carbs around the 50g per day mark AND drink at least 3 litres of clear fluid (water, tea, decaff coffee) a day I lose weight. I am sure that drinking all that water is the key. When I don’t drink it I get the headache again.

I have consistently heard on health programs on the radio over the past few months that exercising doesn’t contribute much at all to weight loss – it keeps us toned and builds muscle, which is heavier than body fat. There is a lot more in this diet that simply restricting our calorific: understand how the mechanisms of how the body processes and uses the food which we eat is key. It’s what we eat and when we eat it. The BSD 800 has been carefully put together to ensure that we don’t get hungry or cravings past those first few days, provided we remember to drink lots of water too. And it works. So many people in this forum can attest to that.

It can be disheartening to go through those plateaus every other week. That’s the time to pick up the pace with exercise, walk a few more steps, etc. Exercising helps to boost our mental state and confidence as well as tone the body: it builds and improves our immune system too (much more than all the super foods and supplements can!) I think the magic in the BSD 800 is the fact that we’re eating as much as our bodies need (for normal daily living) and the 10-14 hour fasting that is built in to it and the 5:2 diet do the rest of the work. Michael points out in the book that the diet has three aspects to it: calorie restriction, increase in exercise and mindfulness practice.

My husband has lost 2kg on the diet so far, compared to my 10kg that’s not a lot but then he doesn’t have as much to lose. I love how this diet works for us as individuals. That aspect alone has sold me on it. It works with our individual bodies, helping us to gain health, whatever that means for each of us.

• posted by barby
    on

I have lost 9.5 pounds in last month – of which 3.5 in last week. I keep hoping for some dramatic loss, but it is very slow but hopefully steady with me.

Admittedly I’m not exercising yet. Also I had half a white burger bun at weekend, ? presumably that would have messed up my loss for a few days? First “bad” carbs all month.

I have been keeping carbs mainly under 50, sometimes 60, and 800 cals most days, sometimes 700.

I have now bought some ketostix but not used them yet, is there a best time to do this?

I am happy my trousers are finally looking rather loose (they were straining at seams when I started, ๐Ÿ™‚

I will keep plodding along – the tortoise and the hare comes to mind.

Enjoy this lovely Spring day everyone (apart from those from distant shores)

• posted by Switzerland
    on

….reporting from distant shores – lovely Autumn day, slight breeze, sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Congratulations on the looser trou, barby! Wow 3.5 pounds in a week sounds lots. Isn’t that over 2 kg? I’d be very happy with that!
    I haven’t lost weight this week yet as have a weekend of indulgence to catch up on, but there were two more holes punched in my belt today, so things are changing.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Switzerland, glad it’s lovely there too, makes you feel good.

• posted by Izzy
    on

9.5 lbs in a month isn’t slow Barby, most other diets would take off less than that. if I can lost 8/month I’ll be happy! well done for losing that!

congrats to Beverley for the epic milestone, and yay for Hawks and smaller waist ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks Hawks, no not quite 2 kgs sadly – but it IS going the right way, and that hasn’t happened for a lot of years. I can’t usually stick to a diet for more than a few weeks. I’m looking at this as my way of life now, better than having to take pills or worse. Just got to psych myself up to a bit of exercise. I’m wondering about buying a treadmill.

Well done on the tighter belt, really good sign.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi barby, if you have stairs do what I suggested to lucia and walk up and down them til you’re out of puff. You will find you can increase the number of climbs each day. It increases your daily steps tally as wellas being a cardio work out ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry I won’t be around much for a day or two as I have a lot on at the moment.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Rico61 – you are doing so well!! Re sugar free gum – I think you do what you can to help you through if you find difficult moments. Sugar free gum has to be better than most things but I have heard someone say that the action of chewing stimulates your brain into eating mode and might encourage you to eat more. Hey – if it makes you feel better/distracts you/stops you from eating something you’d regret – chew away I say!

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Beverley
    Liked your post very much.
    Think we need to be mindful of our own bodies. I echo some of your sentiments here.
    Needed to lose weight when I started this diet ,at least 3 stone, to counteract the effect of Type 2 diabetes diagnosis and to be kind to my liver and pancreas. However as I was fairly active I still needed to do a range of activities.
    Being active did not stop me being obese.
    But my diet was obviously wrong and although I was going to classes I was probably not moving enough at other times.
    Hopefully being conscious of all aspects of our health will help everyone.
    Good luck everyone.
    Make everyday count.

• posted by Stacey
    on

Does anyone else weight daily? I am to impatient to weight weekly!

Day 1 – 77.6kgs
    Day 2 – 76.8kgs

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I weigh daily ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Brazil_nut
    on

I decided to weigh daily. Started yesterday and it seems I am a lb down today. 12st4 to 12st 3. I am really struggling today. I had the pea and spinach omelette for breakfast, then a quinoa/avocado salad for lunch (230 calories) and chicken for dinner later, but I just had 8 strawberries as I was so hungry I couldn’t even concentrate on work. Please reassure me that it gets easier!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It does get easier – much easier but looking at your food intake for today their doesn’t seem to be an awful lot of fat in there.
    You must eat healthy fats to replace the carbs and get into fat burning mode without the hunger.
    The 2 – 3 litres of fluid per day is also very important.

• posted by Tibetan
    on

Hi
    What an inspiring thread am really enjoying reading your posts. Not yet started the plan. But need to as have about 26kg to shed.
    May I ask a few questions?
    Do you need to count carbs?
    I’m on holiday in 3 1/2 weeks for 7 days. Is it ok to make a start then resume on my return? Or better to have a full stretch at it?
    Many thanks from a very nervous and apprehensive newbie

• posted by Brazil_nut
    on

Thanks Bill1954. There was a dash of olive oil to cook the omelette and then avocado in the salad, which I thought would fill me up. But it was a pre-prepared salad and they were very stingy with the avocado! I should have made my own or had half an avocado with egg or something instead. Will try eat more fat tomorrow and see if that helps.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi tibetan, I would suggest start now and if you need to, on your holiday, eat healthily but miss out starchy foods like bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. That way you will lose some weight before you go and find it easier to continue the diet when you get back ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Beverley
    on

Counting carbs isn’t essential but many of us have found that the weight shifts faster if we aim for no more than 50g carbs a day. It also helps us gravitate towards choosing low GI foods.

• posted by Stacey
    on

Day 3 – 75.8kg Thats 2kgs in 3 days!! I know its mostly water and next week it will slow down but it feels great to loose ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

This morning (day 6) I have lost 10
    lbs already and feel great! BS went from 116 to 80 after 3 days and is still there!
    This diet is amazing!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

hello everyone, I have not posted in this thread before as I was “doing my own thing” given that I counted calories and sugar but nothing else. I cut out my staples; bread, cereals, potatoes and most of the milks and cheeses. I carried it on for 10 weeks and changed my eating style permanently. 2 weeks ago I stopped counting calories and 1 week ago I stopped weighing daily. Today near the end of the 12th week I am still losing slowly – down 17.6 kg / 38.6 pounds. I hope you all have great success too – most will. I still need to do more exercise and muscle toning but at least it is nearly summer and not winter. For the purists on here who argue about replicating Prof Taylor’s work and so on, it is just a case of spreading the common sense principles of healthy eating which we knew most of already. As somebody on these forums succinctly put it – if you don’t want to get fat then don’t eat white food. I didn’t, I’m not any more and should never be again, because with a bit of intermittent fasting I can dissolve away excess fat. My BMI is now 25.7 so it appears that I may get to 25 after all without much more effort. Perhaps “common sense” as we like to call it is not so common after all?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great advice Skywalker (can I just call you Luke ๐Ÿ™‚ )
    As you say common sense is not so common but is that down to all the bad nutritional info that we have been fed all our lives?

• posted by Tibetan
    on

Morning thank you for all your help.
    Big gulp weighed in today 1st day 89.6kg
    Have a great day everyone โ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ

• posted by Whalleyrange
    on

Hi all, well its the end of week 7 following the BSD 800 fairly strictly and keeping daily carbs to below 40g. I started at 120.2 kg and weighed in this morning at 106.2 kg, a loss of 14kg (or about 2 and 1/2 stone). After a rapid loss start I’ve settled down to an average of 1.5 kg a week. Some of the issues that I continue to experience include cold fingers and toes and peeing often. I have read that this could be the effects of Ketosis and a rapid change from very high to relatively low carb intake. But these downsides are more than off set by the feelings of more energy, clearer mind and confidence.
    The only other issue I have on this calorie restricted lifestyle is that I am finding it difficult to get enough fats into my meals and trying to keep to 800 cals a day. From all the research now available its clear how important natural fats are for the good health and weight loss. If any of you read the Diet Doctor site and the principles of the low carb high fat (LCHF) way of eating will have seen the impact this has on health and weight loss. And as I love all things buttery and creamy it seems like the diet from heaven.
    I’m going to keep going on the BSD until I reach a 20% loss of starting weight and then look to the LCHF and intermittent fating as a way forward.
    Keep up the great work everyone, your all inspiring.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Great news whalleyrange
    And things will soon look much better Tibetan ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Bill, you can call me anything now I am an incredible shrinking man. When I was looking for a name for my business of aerial photography I found most of the names taken. I adopted Lancashire as my favourite county after North and East Yorkshire of course. Being a Walker by name and also by nature that was the easy bit. So pardoning the pronunciation; if you wanted an aerial photo there are the four stages, 1 Look! 2 Sky and 3 Walker 4 Photo. Of course I was a bit of a Star Wars fan in the 80’s and have been known to use “The Force” of willpower to achieve things, like the Fast800 for example. So, I still answer to anything and have been called all sorts of things over the years!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,
    It’s the end of Week 5 on my BSD journey. 400 gm down from last week (total 6 kg) and 1 cm off my waist ( total 7 cm).I’m feeling more confident with eating low carb mediterranean. Some days the 800 calories become a bit more, but I’m happy with my progress.This is the first diet that I have EVER lost this much in 5 weeks and it’s comforting and empowering not to feel hungry all of the time (I soooo thought I had no willpower, never realising I have a carb addiction!)
    It’s also reassuring to have the wonderful online global BSD community – everyone is so supportive. Oh, not to forget MM and his game changing book. Thanks everyone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.