'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Hi, I have been on and off this diet since the beginning of March, but had problems due to a couple of family birthdays including my own, Easter, a couple of family lunches and a high tea.

I don’t usually have such a busy social life, just bad timing. I decided to put it all behind me and start over again a week ago.

My first week back on the diet and I’m down 800 grams. Which is really good for me, I’m short, not young and don’t exercise nearly enough. From the 1st March when I first began, to today, a week into my second beginning, I’ve lost a total of 4 kilos. I’m more than happy with that. Some days it’s a real struggle not to give in, but since I gain weight so quickly off the diet and take so long to re-lose it, I’ve managed to stick it out.

While I know the BMI doesn’t always give a true picture, I’m thrilled to be now in the overweight category instead of being classed as obese.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Well done TrishaDawn. It is great having progress markers like that. I too find the social events problematic, but don’t dwell on them. Progress still happens even with blips along the way.

• posted by KatieB
    on

Just weighed today at end of week 3, 8lbs off this week and 1 stone 31/2 pounds in three weeks.
    So happy πŸ˜€ Just hope it’s having similar positive results on my blood glucose and cholesterol!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Week 12 weighday and just 1.5 lbs off this week.
    I was TBH expecting a little more due to the increased activity in the garden and such but, if there is one thing I’ve learned over the last 3 months is the unpredictability of the human body.
    At least it’s another 3 packets of lard that I won’t have to carry around this week, and, I’ve had to make yet another hole in my belt.
    Great to see all the people having the same great early results as I had, keep going folks, come plateaux or high water, this way of life will definitely get you where you want to be.
    Starting weight 16 stones 9 pounds
    Current weight 14 stone 5.5 pounds.

• posted by Patsy
    on

No weight loss this week. On the plus side I haven’t actually gained any.

Must try a bit harder. I’ve been very good at avoiding the carbs, but not paying attention to portion sizes.

Well done to those who’ve lost weight.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi all, end of week 6 and another 2lb down making 19 in total πŸ™‚

Two colleagues at work have complimented me this morning πŸ™‚

Keep going everyone!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well done to everyone posting great results this morning. And an even bigger well done to those people who are determined to keep going regardless. As Bill says, there is sometimes no rhyme or reason to the results but people often report a welcome but unexpected drop after a plateau. So stick with it until it happens!

As for me, I can’t believe I am saying it but I am now only 9 pounds away from my goal of losing 2 stone. I would estimate that over the last three years I have made more than twenty attempts to lose weight and have never managed more than 4 or 5 pounds. I have now lost 19 pounds in 11 weeks and couldn’t be happier!

• posted by Patsy
    on

Excellent, Janet!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done NewLife and Janet πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill that 1.5 lbs is good – you’re almost at 2 and a half stones πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Katieb – amazing πŸ™‚

• posted by bob fox
    on

I carried on after the 8 weeks and have just finished week 13. I occasionally upped my cals to about 1000 over the last 5 weeks but generally kept to the 800cals. Once you get in the low carb hi fat groove it’s seems like second nature, as if we should have been doing this all the time. My bloods are constantly in the 4-5 range but my weight has just dropped off. My starting weight was 269lbs and now it is 215lbs. A weight loss of 54lbs.(Nearly 4 stone=24.5kg) Still a lot to lose, so won’t be stopping anytime soon. I don’t think I could go back to the old way of eating to be honest. Good luck to everyone else and congrats on your results. Onward and Downwards.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Well done, Bob.

• posted by Crazeyme
    on

Sugar free chewing gum always helps me when i am craving a sweet thing!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Quite a few of us agree with you Bob, no going back for me either πŸ™‚

• posted by Nicolaann
    on

Well done Bob fox

• posted by Juliet
    on

Hi

I’m just starting week 3. Lost 8lb week 1 and delighted, but nothing this week at all : ( Drinking loads, counting cals and being totally ‘on programme’ but NOTHING… Any tips please? Anyone else experienced this?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Lots of people have Juliet especially weeks 2 to 3, it’s just a plateau as your body adjusts to burning fat instead of carbs.
    Keep doing what you are doing and the weight loss will begin again. In fact, a lot of people experience a whoosh after a plateau and weight just vanishes overnight.

• posted by Juliet
    on

Cheers Bill. Just eaten 2 mini LIndt eggs as feeling so disappointed with having no loss. First sugar in 2 weeks and I probably would have carried on eating the rest of the bag (would have taken mere minutes) had you not replied! Thanks for the encouragement. Really appreciate you taking the time. Eggs now in cupboard and I’m going to have another glass os water. Watch this space ; )

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Good for you Juliet
    you have those cravings under control, if you didn’t the bag would be empty.
    You never know, there could be a whoosh just around the corner, lots of folk have one after a plateau.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m excited to join this thread πŸ™‚ just at the end of week one. I’ve lost 6 lbs and now I’m looking forwards to next week πŸ™‚

• posted by Patsy
    on

Well done, Izzy.

I’d only lost 1lb over the last two weeks, but I’m down another one this morning after giving myself a talking to about portion sizes, so feel happier and more motivated again.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic Izzy!

Juliet, the plateau is over and you can look forward to more weight coming off! πŸ™‚

• posted by Beverley
    on

I’ve lost the half kilo I put on after my 3 year old granddaughter’s birthday party on Monday, plus another 100g for good measure. The trick for me is to remember to drink 3 litres of clear liquid a day, which I do with cups of decaff, fruit infusion tea and water with a squeeze of lemon juice. I’m having trouble finding time to keep my blog up to date but I’m still weighing and recording what I’m eating. I think that calculating and counting the carbs and calories helps me to stay focused. My next mini-goal is 95kg by the end of May. I’d be super happy if I can lose 5kg a month until I reach my goal (42kg lost).

• posted by Whalleyrange
    on

Hi everyone, its great reading all the fantastic results people are achieving on the BDS and for me its been a revelation. GP said I was insulin resistant with BMI over 39 and 120.3 kg. At the end of week 6 I have lost 12.3 kg so down to 108 kg. As important I have lost 4in from belly and 2 from chest. I decided to start monitoring my BS levels this week and pre dinner levels around 5 and post dinner 5.5. I’ll keep monitoring for a while before going back to GP to have bloods tested formally.
    It must be more than 15 years since I was this weight and know that this is a total change in lifestyle and not a diet. It should be prescribed by GPs and promoted by the health services to show that diabetes is a symptom of our western diet and the consequence of poor advice based on poor science. Keep going everyone.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Whalleyrange, fantastic results!

I agree that Drs should be promoting this diet!

If you are a British Citizen have you signed our petition asking the NHS to encourage T2 s to follow this diet? You can find it on the ‘Please sign our petition ‘ thread πŸ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Whalleyrange
    Great stuff. Welcome to the new way of life.
    That is exactly what we are trying to change. Low carb Mediterranean diet for all Type 2 Diabetics, world wide would be great too!

• posted by LindaA
    on

I live in Sydney, Australia, I’m a post menopausal 56 year old female and started the BSD diet last week and today is week 2, day 2. I’ve read the book at least 3 times and I think I have read nearly every post over the last week to learn as much as I possibly could. I’d like to to thank all the regular posters – you know who you are – as the motivation has been wonderful!! I’ve been on diets before, but predominantly low fat and now I know why the weight has always piled back on. This diet is so easy!! I haven’t felt hungry, I only had a couple of headaches on days 2 & 3 and although I haven’t been counting calories (I’ve done this so often, I’m pretty good at judging) I’ve been following the delicious recipes. I’m drinking plenty of water and I’ve built up my walking over the week to at least 1 hour a day. The result????
    Starting weight 89.9 kilos, one week in…85.3kgs. A massive 4.6kgs (just over 10lbs) in the first weekπŸ˜„ Sugar hasn’t touched my lips, I’m only eating good carbs and I’ve stopped drinking alcohol. I’m lucky not to have T2 or be pre diabetic and I’ve no other medical issues to worry about. This is now my life and again I’d like to thank everyone who encourages us newbies. I understand that this sort of loss won’t continue every week, but it’s one hell of a startπŸ˜€

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Welcome to the forum LindaA – what a great result for you – losing weight quickly is so motivating, isn’t it?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Switzerland, it certainly is. I’ve been following your posts too. How are you doing this week?
    Linda

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Ah…LindaA…tomorrow is my weigh in day….keep tuned and I’ll report in.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi LindaA
    Welcome. Wave wave! Great results keep going. Maybe a Lucia challenge of walking over that bridge of yours by week 8?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Eureka
    I’m aiming for another 20kgs, so 8 weeks may be pushing it, but I’ll give it a shot! I’ve been reading Lucia’s posts and she’s certainly an inspiration πŸ™‚
    How are you going this week?

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi LindaA
    Ok. I let you off the bridge til later on!
    I’m good. Just thinking what to give my best friend (Linda) for her wedding anniversary meal Saturday? She has to eat very low CALCIUM diet! NO lovely leafy greens for her!!
    Decided anti pasti starter, Greek lemon chicken with rice for her & husband, with feta & tomato salad for me & my husband. He’s doing BSD with me. Pud, she likes melting chocolate & I like fresh fruit salad ( strawberries , blueberries, raspberries & cherries). The men love cheese! She low calcium water, but I’ll say cheers with a glass of Greek red wine. Nuts for nibbles. Think that will do. Ta for making me decide. Now I want my dinner!
    Cheers πŸ“πŸ’ 🍷

• posted by Natalie
    on

I moved to Sydney six months ago, I don’t actually know if you’re allowed to walk over the bridge except special occasions – but what you can do (for a fee) is walk/climb up and over the arch! Very steep and very high. You’re basically on maintenance ladders or something. And you’re clipped onto the railing at all times. But I am very scared of heights I so I don’t think I’ll be doing that.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Natalie
    My son did that climb some time ago ! Me ? No Thanks!! Was just giving LindaA some goals πŸ˜„ Perhaps a night at the Opera house would be best

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Eureka and Natalie
    Sorry Eureka, I misunderstood! I thought you meant the metaphorical ‘bridge’ to my weight goal!
    Yes, I’ve already walked the Sydney Harbour bridge a number of times, as recently as last weekend where I did a 2.5 hour walk with a girlfriend to catchup. It was either that or cake and coffee in a cafe and surprisingly, I thought this the better option. As coincidence would have it, she’s been doing the 5:2 diet, but hadn’t heard about the BSD.

I also did the bridge climb last year, a birthday present from my husband who can’t do heights and said I was on my own! It was absolutely fabulous and I would highly recommend it to anyone of any age. It’s very easy and there is no danger of falling as you are linked by a metal rope to a bar the entire way.

Eureka, that dinner sounds perfect!! I had to cook for visitors last week – 8 in total, and did the lamb meatballs, they went down a treatπŸ˜€ Let us know how yours goes.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi LindaA
    Cor you’re brave! I was jesting! Now that would stress me! I’d love the view but no head for heights. Love the fireworks New Year though. My Linda has watched them several times from across the bay. Lucky girl.
    Was cooking for 14 all last week so 4 is a doddle. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Keep spreading the BSD word. Walk away from the cake πŸ˜€

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone, Well it’s Week 5 Day 1 for me and I’m delighted to announce that I lost 2.1kg in the last week (that’s a total of 5.6kg over the 4 weeks, with no loss week 3). I’m so HAPPY that I stuck with the BSD and conquered my week 3 plateau. It’s really empowering to have stuck with it. The old me would have given up. It’s also with great pleasure that I announce my waist circumference is down 6 cm from Week 1 Day 1.
    I also want to mention that for me it’s the whole package. I’ve also been walking every day (varying distances because ‘life’ gets in the way), but I do aim for 10 000 steps now. Daily mindfulness meditation has been beneficial. I use the Smiling Mind App (Australia). Have a great day BSDers.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic start to the BSD LindaA! πŸ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Switzerland, woo hoo, that’s excellent, well done. Keep it upπŸ˜€

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Hashimoto
    I’ve been following your journey and you’ve been so inspirational, thank you so much for encouraging all us newbies.
    Hopefully you know how much it means to us.😊 I’m going to keep posting and encouraging too and hopefully we can all encourage more to follow this new lifestyle, as that is what it is!
    Linda

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thanks LindaA

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Switzerland
    Well done. The original you has come out to play again. Lots of new toys & stuff to do out here. Keep on doing it

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

It’s been inspirational reading all your posts. Thank you for sharing. I’m wondering whether to make Monday or Friday my weigh in day. I haven’t officially started yet – just read the book, cleared out my cupboards and have started com[piling shopping lists. I’m going away this Bank holiday weekend so thought I’d start in earnest on Tuesday after the holiday . Maybe I should make that my weigh in day !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi chocolate -ee, welcome to the forums:)

Some of us weigh every day so you could try that option to solve the ‘what day?’ problem πŸ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Chocolate_ee
    Welcome to the forum. I admit to weighing myself most days but I picked a Wednesday as my official start date, so use my weigh in on that day as the one I record to show how I’m tracking. It really doesn’t matter what day and you’ll work out for yourself if weighing in every day or just once a week suits you best.
    Just think, if you start before the bank holiday, your starting weight will be lower and you’ll have less to lose!
    Good luck and keep posting your losses.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Week 19 finished and another pound down – and I’ve been in a hotel most of this weekπŸ˜ƒ Total loss now 49 pounds!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Nowhere near you yet Lynne but another pound and a half gone.
    Thats a total loss of 33 pounds and 14 stone 4 lb
    Getting close to that milestone where my weight will start with number 13 and still on track for my holiday target.
    Even better, after the chapati debacle, my FBS today was 6.4 πŸ™‚

• posted by Chinagas
    on

. Time for a life style change! Found the 800 calorie sugar / blood diet, found a gym. Been on the diet for 8 weeks and lost10 kgs. Been in the gym since last October but now stepped it up in the last 8 weeks to 5 nights a week. So diet plus exercise =10kgs lost and blood pressure right down to normal. 800 BSD and gym best things ever…deffo recommended.

Please log in or register to post a reply.