'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hm I will try this. I do drink quite a bit but will up it today – it is true that my last whoosh was after a LOT of water.
    Update tomorrow:[)

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Keep going Lucyjane, you will be one of those who reports a sudden loss one morning! πŸ™‚

• posted by Odette C
    on

Hello, I was feeling a bit frustrated, on Day 21, overall loss was 12lbs but only 1 lb was in the last week. So yesterday I thought, NO CARBS TODAY as i really wanted to hit the I stone milestone. And guess what , I got up this

i had gained two pounds! Does this story sound familiar? On the plus side, I experimented with stopping my BP medication and checked all day, and it seems I dont need it any more, amazeballs!
    So now, I shall follow suggestions and drink lots of water today. If these posts were not here Im sure Id have quit. Thank you all.

• posted by Kes
    on

Haven’t had the bravery to post my weight on this thread for the last few weeks as I’ve been so disappointed with myself. I’m like many of you who lost a lot of weight in the first 2 weeks (11lb) then just sat there. The difference between you guys and me is that I know it is all my fault. I know that I’m not sticking rigidly to 800 cals, I’m not drinking enough water, I’m still drinking too much alcohol and I’m not getting enough exercise. All these things are in my power to change but I just can’t seem to muster up enough willpower.

It is day 4 of week 7 today and this morning I hit the 1 st lost goal (a goal I aimed to have achieved at the end of week 4) so thought it was time to man up and post it here (hoping it might spur me on to do better). We’ve also got a holiday planned for the end May/beginning June and my next goal is another stone before then.

Although I’ve not been brave enough to put up my own weight I wanted to thank all of you for posting up your amazing results and also those of you who are struggling a bit like me. I read all your posts every day and gain such a lot of comfort, inspiration and encouragement (I just need to bottle it and not let life and my own weakness derail me so much).

Well done to all the losers! not just of weight but of the burdens of ill health and especially well done for sticking with it and giving us encouragement.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Kes, just ‘manning up’ will spur you on to achieve more. I think the alcohol might be your biggest stumbling block to more weight loss. Any chance of ditching it until your holiday? You could then look forward to it as a holiday treat you deserve. πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Odette, I hope the extra water sees a fall on your scales in the morning! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Kes don’t beat yourself up about it, you are human after all!
    We all have little slip ups, just try to take it 1 day at a time, eg I won’t have alcohol just for today.
    You have lost a stone so that is no cause for despondancy, celebrate the fact that you know how to do it and aim to shift the next stone a bit faster.

• posted by Kes
    on

Thanks guys and yes I think the alcohol is the main culprit and my hope is that the first stone will be a huge spur to push harder for the next stone.

I’m looking at it that I needed to lose 4 stone to be in the lower half of the ‘overweight’ section of the BMI chart, so I’m a quarter of the way there today. The next stone will take me to the cusb between ‘overweight’ and ‘obese’ and that will be a double goal.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

kes, that is a fantastic double goal!! πŸ™‚

• posted by georgiarose
    on

Re fainting.
    Everything good, Cherrianne. The local doctor was very thorough and checked out everything, since hubby has stents. Even rang his cardio surgeon in Sydney. Suggested he go off the caffeine and up the calories. He HAS lost enough weight, trying to be such a good support for my efforts. So we are blaming the bad influence of our German guest πŸ™‚ I will be making sure he eats a healthy lunch at the proper time and goes on to herbal teas!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

So glad hubby is ok georgiarose!! πŸ™‚

• posted by barby
    on

I succumbed to weighing this morning, and have lost 2 pounds in last 5 days. I didn’t weigh at beginning, but since I DID first weigh, have lost 5 and a half pounds.

I know you’ll say it’s still good, but it seems painfully slow. Not the Fast Diet for me!

I have always lost weight slowly and being an older woman doesn’t help, though I see others similar in age still having great loses. I will stick at it, for now anyway, sigh.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another 2 pounds bites the dustπŸ˜ƒ That’s 48 pounds in total!

Getting closer to no longer being obese, just overweight. YIPPEE !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne you are amazing! 48 lbs is phenomenal! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Barby, you’re right! I am going to say that is good. – because it IS good! 2lbs in 5 days is a lot! That would work out at 8lbs in 20 days – that is more than half a stone in less than 3 weeks!
    Keep going gal because you will have your choice of clothes faster than you think!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Monkeyescapade
    on

Hello there, landed back to earth with a bump but definitely not as heavy as a bump as it would have been six weeks ago, it’s good to be back in Blighty after three months travelling. Welcome to all new members and wow, so encouraging to read of everyone’s achievements, congrats to all. So, back on my own scales, and have been hopping on and off in the last week since getting back, allowing few days for the long haul flights water retention to dissipate, very pleased to report that my weight is now down to 60.6kg……I’ve taken great delight in trying on clothes that I haven’t worn for quite some time and looking good – very rare that I say that about myself and hope it doesn’t come across as cocky, not my intention at all but at the grand old age of 50+ I didn’t think I would comfortably fit into my size 12s again, I am so pleased. Still can’t comfortably fit into a pair of Size 12 shape and lift Conran jeans, which I have never worn so God knows what I was thinking when I bought them but at least I can do the zip up now, I just don’t like the little roll of flab showing over the top so they will have to be jeans in waiting until I tone up.
    I notice a few forum members expressing frustration about reaching that plateau – dont give up my friends – I too experienced that as did my partner but once you get over that week to two week hump, our experience is that the weight continues to go down.
    I am loving being able to have a more varied diet now and being able to accurately weigh/count the calories – finding myfitnesspal excellent for recording. I also recommend fitbit, I bought the basic one of these on return to UK and it is excellentfor encouraging me to do my 10,000 steps each day, love it when it vibrates to tell me I’ve done the 10,000.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome back to dear old Blighty monkeyescapade!

No you don’t sound cocky about trying on old clothes and looking good. I felt exactly the same when I did the same thing. – and not the sort of thing I have said about myself before either. But what a glorious feeling it is when the outgrown clothes fit again!

You have done well to lose all thst weight while traveling! Those conran jeans will fit well before too much longer πŸ™‚

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hi Everyone

Thought I’d just chip in to say I just hit the 2 stone loss mark and I’m at the end of week 6! I still have another 3 stone to go but feel it’s not only achievable but maintainable. I’m so pleased I finally found a diet which works. I have gone a little “off plan”, so to speak, and have adopted a more LCHF way of eating. i.e. not counting the calories but ensuring my carb level is below the 20g mark with plenty of healthy fats and proteins.

I have to say that since starting this transformative journey I have been doing lots of research and getting increasingly frustrated with the disinformation coming from UK Government (all governments?) regarding a so called “healthy diet”. All my life I’ve taught myself and, more recently, my children completely the wrong information when it comes to nutrition. That makes me angry because trying to re-educate an 18 year old and an 11 year old who are addicted to carbs and sugar is nigh on impossible (neither are overweight but we can’t see what’s going on inside!)

We are, during family meals, reducing their carbs slightly and to a greater extent sugars. Hopefully we’ll get there in the end so they can educate their children with an actual healthy diet from the outset.

Sorry about the rant.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi outrunner, great results from you!! Bill1954 has gone the not counting calories, just the carbs route and also been very successful.

I totally agree about frustration over the wrong information being pumped out by the authorities! Have you signed our petition asking the NHS to urge T2s to follow this diet?

It is almost impossible to teach an immortal 18 year old anything new because at that age they know everything and by my age I know nothing!!! πŸ™
    Hopefully sneaking lower carbs and sugars into their meals will have the health impact you want for them. πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Georgiarose, that’s a relief about your husband. So glad it was nothing serious. My guess is he’ll be very careful with his coffee intake from now on, bless him! Thanks for letting us know the outcome. πŸ™‚

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Thanks hashimoto πŸ™‚

I did sign the petition when it was launched and shared it on FB. I feel quite evangelical about the whole thing (I think my kids are getting a bit sick of it but their happy to see me shrinking!)

The 18 year old isn’t quite as bad as the 11 year old… now he is completely invincible and knows more than Google! LOL πŸ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh that is quite funny, outrunner, I really would have expected the 18 year old to be the invincible one!! Good that they both like to see you shrinking! πŸ™‚

I’m a bit of a zealot about this diet too πŸ™‚

• posted by Monkeyescapade
    on

Thank you Hashimoto and I’m sure I speak for many other members when I say how appreciated it is that you always make the time to encourage so many if not all members on this forum.
    Outrunner, rant away, totally share your views on wrong info for all these decades on diet and nutrition, it’s all so confusing but thankfully we are taking action and can spread the word to encourage others.
    x

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Just been on holiday, gained 5 lbs and was feeling deflated…. Then went and had my first dress fitting..the bloody thing only did up!

The zip just glided to the top with no encouragement, when I first tried it it wouldn’t go more than half way!! Woohoo!

Doing my next cycle with my parents starting Monday – might need the dress taking in!

Started a size 22, just got into a size 14 wedding dress, so anyone feeling abit down, keep going because it is having a fabulous affect on your skin and body xx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow Lesley, that is incredible!! You will be suffering from shock if you have to have that dress taken in after your worries about it not fitting!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

That’s fantastic Lesley. You’ll need it taking in at the rate you’re going. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Janet1973
    on

That’s four dress sizes so far Lesley. Truly inspirational! Your fiancΓ© won’t recognise you!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Outrunner, I can totally sympathise with that. Have you seen the bumper sticker about asking your teenager while they still know everything? I think the preteen years are worse!

Lesley that is wonderful for you. You must be on cloud nine achieving those results. You’ll truly be feeling like a princess on your wedding day. πŸ™‚

• posted by Beverley
    on

Thanks Lesley, that is awesome encouragement doubled with fantastic reassurance! I’m looking forward to sliding into a size 14 by the end of the year… some days it seems far-fetched and then I read posts such as yours and feel confident again. πŸ™‚

• posted by vjc2270
    on

Hello everybody!

Well, just finished week 6 and so far I’ve lost 7.6 kilos, which is just over the magic 10% of my starting weight and my BMI is down from 29.3 to 26.3. I’m pretty happy as I have to say I’Ve been a bit less strict with myself since the end of week 4 and the weight is still coming off! When I started this, I was aiming to lose about 8 kilos – now I’ve decided to go for 10-12 because I want to get my BMI safely in the ‘healthy’ range with a few kgs to spare. It’s odd – if I were to aim for the bottom of the BMI range for my height, I would look seriously emaciated. I should probably get a proper body fat percentage test.

Best wishes, all!

• posted by Lesley91
    on

They called the other girls down in the shop to look at me in the dress, they were definitely impressed by the weight loss!
    My mum was talking to them about the diet and how well it works – I was too busy swishing round the shop feeling like a princess…

Starting week 9 today, I can’t wait to see pictures of me a few months ago compared to on our wedding day in July, everyone is going to be shocked!

Beverley, I have days where I have plateaued and stuffed my face with carbs – but I always wake up with heart burn and feel like poo for the following day. I don’t drink because I feel rubbish the next day and I am thinking the same way about pizza, chips…etc now.

Keep going everyone!! πŸ˜€ xx

• posted by barby
    on

Oh Lesley hearing you were a size 22 (that’s me) and you’re now a size 14, is so encouraging. I always think I’ve got so much more to lose than many here, and it’s slow. Do you mind telling me how long it took you? (so far). Edit – Just read your latest post – 9 weeks from 22 to 14 – wow! Inspirational.

I’m pleased I lost another pound in last day, so it’s going (altho very slowly.) Well done, you must be feeling transformed. x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lesley, I bet you and your mum have a few converts to this diet!!
    I bet the shop girls were worrying about how they could let the dress out – until they saw you. No one other than those doing this diet could believe it could happen . . . . .until they see the evidence in front of them!

Brilliant πŸ™‚

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Barby – How long have you been on the diet so far?
    9 weeks – but technically 11 (I had a couple of falters along the way and kept restarting)

I just walk the dog for an hour or two each day instead of a 20 minute walk – so we get more peace and quiet from her too! This diet has helped everyone, I am much happier – less snappy and irritable and more motivated, I get out of bed early and go for a jog.
    The real thing that made me realise how far I have come is I did a long walk with Tilly (Dog) and it took me an hour to get to this park and an hour back before – and I had to stop half way up the hill out of breath. Took me 25 minutes…. that is incredible.

Hashimoto – my mum is telling everyone, lots of people have noticed it kind of melt off me, but we looked at pictures of my mum and dad last night and they have seriously dropped some weight. This diet has completed changed our lives, and those shop girls didn’t believe I could do it – I bet they get loads of brides saying they will loose weight and don’t, they had to work out the latest date they can take the dress IN before the big day in case I lose more ha ha. Fantastic feeling!
    (Until I brought a Β£200 veil as I got swept up in feeling beautiful ha ha)

I owe these forums as much as I owe my parents – you guys have kept me going on my rough days and I hope I have given people some motivation! xx

• posted by Brightspark
    on

Hi all,
    I’ve just had a WI after a week of plateau and have now lost 17lbs in 4 weeks. Went out for drinks with some of my girlfriends last night and they were amazed at my ‘skinny arse’! I only drank sparkling water and still had a great time!
    I’m trying to not become evangelical about this diet, but it really does work. My husband is eating what I cook and prepare but adding a bowl of cereal at night time and he’s lost 13lbs. So to all of you who are struggling I’d just like to say it is worth it. My blood sugar levels are in the 4.4 – 4.5 and I feel great, not just some of the time but all the time. I’m down a whole dress size and more importantly I’ve got more energy so my social life and sex life has improved too!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Brightspark great results!! I don’t care about being evangelical about this diet – especially to diabetics and hypothyroids like me! It’s a life saver!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lesley your story will be inspiring a lot of people!! You walking the dog in 25 minutes instead of 2 hours is a fantastic fitness result. You must be buzzing!!

See if you can get lots of them to sign out petition!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Fatty
    on

Your all so very inspiring.. Thank You… I had a good result 19 pound… or nine kilo for the first four weeks… then 5 days in Malta with Mates… still made good choices and tried to limit carbs… but HAD to drink Champagne (had not seen these folk for a few years…and probably wont again for a few more)… and well maybe a couple of pieces of chocolate…. any ways… back to reality last tuesday… have been hungry with out of control sugar levels… between 9 and 11 on rising and not dropping till after I eat at about 1.30pm but might be the stuff stored in the liver ??… not sure… am not going to weigh again for a couple of more weeks just in case it has gone up… I know myself and I don’t want to give up… focussing on the BSL is a much healthier approach for me….

Thanks to every one here for their terrific posts and human approach. You keep me sane…(nearly)

• posted by barby
    on

Lesley – I took a while to start properly too. I did the diet to some extent for a couple of weeks without weighing …couldn’t face knowing!!!)

I first weighed 12 days ago, and have lost 6 pounds in that time. I have been disappointed I didn’t get a drastic loss, I am still in same size clothes though they feel a bit looser. I do retain water generally and also am older, and must confess I have yet to do the exercise. On previous diets, 3 pounds a week would be good for me, so I am just plodding along.

I have been surprised how I seem able to stick with this, even being veggie, as normally I have no self control. I often don’t eat until about noon, and yesterday when out had goats cheese salad instead of usual something and chips, OH had them and I wasn’t bothered. Unheard of before.

I have really changed in that I hated cooking before, now I’m regularly cooking up soups etc, I have accepted I need to.

Next thing is to start walking, that will probably make all the difference, you are certainly a shining example!

I have felt so very unfit I couldn’t face a walk, I was tired just walking short distances and going up stairs. But now I will.

These forums help so very much. I think because many of us are doing this for really serious health reasons, not just vanity, we are all more determined to make it work, even if we stall at times. Love the way every one is so supportive.

PS Hash have signed petition πŸ™‚

• posted by Lesley91
    on

When I am doing well I weigh almost everyday.
    My parents have been the biggest help, mum cooks an extra portion of their evening meal for me to collect on my way home from work – I have since made my own curries etc and frozen them for when I work late shifts.

Honestly, having a dog gave me the motivation to walk, I don’t think I would have done it without her – especially her enthusiasm at 5:30 in the morning, gives me a kick up the backside.

I am 24 and dropped a lot of weight, my mum and dad are 46 and have noticed it is taking them longer than it is me, my mum really struggled at the beginning because she wasn’t seen much movement, so we started interval jogging in the mornings and that is where she started dropped a couple of lbs a week. We cannot sprint and then jog, so we have started walking then jogging then walking…etc to build ourselves up.

What petition is this? I think I saw on one of the other forums…I will have a nosey now. xx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

The petition for the NHS to encourage T2s to follow this diet. Just search for the thread ‘Please sign our petition’ πŸ™‚

Walking and jogging is more than I can do!! My damaged knee just puts up with walking! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks for signing Barby! Just start with going up and down the stairs during advert breaks on the TV or stuff like that. It’s amazing how much fitter you can get in a short time just doing simple things like that and you will build up to going up and down a few times without being completely out of puff. I found a pedometer helped. I kept checking to see what I had done through the day – a couple of trips up and down stairs, to the end of the garden and back, a walk to the corner shop for 1 item and back – it soon starts adding up. πŸ™‚

Your mum is so good to you Lesley! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Fatty, you will soon start feeling better and in control again now that you are back on the wagon!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by AliB
    on

Day 1 113.9kg 5’7 tall (down from 129kg on high doses of steroids)

I can’t believe I have just told you what I weigh!!! My husband doesn’t even know!!

My GP says I look a good 20kg lighter than that, but I’m HEAVY and want to get rid of the steroid-induced diabetes for good.

Fingers, toes and eyelashes crossed!!

Good luck everyone!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi AliB this diet will do it for you πŸ™‚

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi, I’ve just started – tried 5:2 diet previously but found carb craving too difficult in swapping between fast and regular days. Am doing well on 800 cal diet, so far! No carb cravings – despite a teenage son keeping a stock of very tasty treats in the house.
    Am I the only one who gets hungry on the diet? Most posts say that hunger not an issue… sure I will adjust if I keep at it though. Not weighed in as yet – trying to not obsess. Blood sugar levels still in 7.5 and up range. Have been doing some serious digging of vegetable and flower beds, and a few walks. Know that I need to increase my exercise levels some more! Hope that the feeling grotty stage passes soon.
    Great to read all the positive news on the posts…so inspiring.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Imogen, welcome to the forums πŸ™‚
    I felt hungry the first couple of weeks because I avoided eating fat. You really need to!
    I tend to not have breakfast ti 10 or 11 then lunch at 3ish and supper at 7ish. Depends what your routine is. I was going to bed early during the first two weeks πŸ™‚

You’ll soon feel really well and find this easy! πŸ™‚

• posted by Imogen
    on

Thanks hashimoto,
    Hard to break old habits, but will try increasing fat… may adjust eating times alsoπŸ˜ƒ

• posted by AliB
    on

Hi Imogen

I have felt hungry today but I posted what I ate in another thread and although the carbs were low, there wasn’t enough fat, so that is most likely why. Maybe you need to eat more fat too, as you say?

It’s only day 1 for me do no doubt I’ll find my rhythm eventually!! Good luck!!

Ali

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi georgiarose
    Another possibility is a blood pressure spike that can happen from a lot of coffee. That can certainly cause dizziness. I don’t know if it causes blacking out. Good luck at the doc.
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.