'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Monkey-mind! So simple yet so explanatory! I have that all the time. Its a great piece of wisdom, thank you Penny. Its now 2.15am, I’d really like my monkey-mind to bog off now!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Penny, I shall just keep on trying as trying seems to help, good to know it isn’t possible to succeed πŸ™‚

• posted by TWills63
    on

Thank you for the birthday wishes, I had a lovely meal with family. I was the only one at the table not to have a starter and do you know what, the sky didn’t cave in! I ended up having a less than sensible main course as there really was nothing that was even close. That said it wasn’t a huge portion and I really enjoyed it (I have been known, in the past to make a ‘good’ choice then feel deprived enough to make up for it later). I had a lovely pudding that felt like a proper treat. Today I’m back to my new normal, even visiting a food festival and having nothing other than black coffee and some tasters of cheese.

Just to make the weekend even sweeter I noticed that a pair of jeans I didn’t take on holiday a month ago because they were a bit snug are now hanging off me πŸ˜€

Enjoy what’s left of the weekend everyone xx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

You’ve had a really great birthday treat with the jeans!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by TWills63
    on

I meant also to say that as an experiment in eating lots of carbs after having restricted them that I actually didn’t feel that great later on and I don’t think it had anything to do with overeating as they weren’t huge portions! I wouldn’t go so far as to say I felt ill but I certainly didn’t feel up to opening the single malt my boss bought me as a birthday present which I was planning to.

• posted by Kingdoone
    on

Wow

• posted by hashimoto
    on

It’s amazing how grot people seem to feel after eating any starchy carbs. I’m keeping clear!! πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Agreed Judith. Carbs are definitely on the ‘poison’ list for me!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Week 10 weigh day and the long expected plateau has arrived !
    I suppose I’m lucky to have gone this far without having one, so, no panic, I’ll just keep on doing what I’m doing.
    On a brighter note, I stopped my last Metformin tablets on Saturday so at the moment I’m med free and over 2 days there have been no adverse effects on my blood sugar readings.
    Just a little silver lining πŸ˜€

• posted by Patsy
    on

I’ve lost another pound, despite a few days away which made it hard to avoid carbs. There just doesn’t seem to be a quick, warming carb free option when out and about. Maybe we could have gone to a restaurant and had soup, but some don’t like you just having what they consider a starter.

Week 1 – 4lb
    Week 2 – 1lb (it was my birthday thay week!)
    Week 3 – 3lb

• posted by Patsy
    on

Congratulations on being med free, Bill! That must feel great.

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Bill
    That is fantastic news about your meds. I am delighted for you.
    Janice πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news Bill. Meds free! Yipppeeee πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Purplepenguin
    on

So here begins week six and 10.3kg down. This is so exciting someone pinch meπŸ™ƒ

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yeah I’m happy about that, especially as I had a naughty Friday night when we went out for an Indian meal.
    I had a chicken tikka starter followed by tandoori king prawns with salad.
    Absolutely delicious and no appreciable effect on the sugar readings.
    Just goes to show, as long as you make the right choices, eating out doesn’t have to be avoided.
    Patsy, looking like you have this cracked πŸ™‚ Well done.
    BTW as far as I remember, once you have climbed all the way up to a plateau, all you have to do is cross it, then it’s all downhill again πŸ™‚

I just want to throw this in to show the power of low carb eating.
    My stepson and business partner has been creeping up in weight until he was at 17.5 stones. Last week he decided to cut out the bread, pasta, rice etc (I have to stress that he is NOT following the BSD) and he asked Mum and me to bring in the meals I’ve been having for lunch for him.
    In 5 days, He has lost 7 pounds. How’s that for not over thinking it ? πŸ˜€

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Don’t worry Bill.
    My Week 10 weigh day as well and have lost 4lb this week …at last!
    For the previous 10 days had been fighting to lose and gain the same elusive pound in weight.
    No significant difference in my eating patterns so goes to show how erratic weight loss can be over 3 weeks.
    Very well done to be off your meds. Hope to come off mine in the future.
    Hope my results this week are an encouragement to others if they hit a plateau or put on weight.
    In the long term it works.
    Stick in there. Good luck.

• posted by Fi
    on

Just completed the 8 weeks and here are my results:

Start weight 13st 4lbs
    Waist measurement: 42 1/2 ins
    Fasting BS: 9.2

Weight no: 11st 11lbs
    Waist measurement: 391/2 ins
    Fasting BS: Between 5.5 – 5.7

Still have a long way to go so will continue (last month I was travelling a lot so even though I kept to the basic diet rules I wasn’t able to count calories – found restaurants were very good offering a side salad or extra veggies instead of potatoes). It has been an incredible journey and shared with incredible people! I feel so much better – the bloating has gone and my mood has lifted. Great news from Bill about his meds – hopefully that will be me giving that news in the not too distant future! My annual hospital appointment is in October and I am confident that I will be back down to ‘normal’ weight for my height by then. I just want to thank my mum as well because she found out about this diet and I said “oh, I might give it a go after Easter and she said “why wait until then, why don’t you just do it now”, so I did and I am so glad.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Fi, you’ve done brilliantly!

Forgot to measure my waist. Another 1/2 gone! Yay.

Bill, I do feel as though I have it cracked as I’m not weighing stuff or counting calories, but am reading ingredient labels and thinking carefully about my choices and keeping portion sizes under control as well as walking a lot more. I’ve had a glass of wine some nights and a small amount of carbs when eating out – and I’m still losing weight! There’s no reason I can’t stick to this level of the diet permanently and just eat a tiny bit more once I’m at my ideal weight.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

A massive achievement for Bill and the meds! !
    I’ve just started week 6 and feel I’ve reached a plateau. Today’s weigh in is approx 12st 13lb, about the same as last week. No changes in my diet. Still walking 2.5 to 3 miles briskly 5 days a week. Hopefully as Bill said “the only way is down”!
    I’m still on my Metformin although my FBS levels are on their way down again after a little blip – today’s was 6.2 (on 2000mg Metformin daily).

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Well done Fi
    Your journey is going really well. Your stats sound similar to mine in some ways. Except before Christmas my stats were about the same as yours but I unexpectedly lost about half a stone before I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the end of January.
    Have now completed 10 weeks. Weight 11 stone. Waist 35″. Fasting BS 5.7 this morning.
    Unfortunately my HBA1c showed 7.2 at the end of March so I still have a way to go.
    Need to lose 1 and a half stone to get to a healthy BMI.
    Good luck.

• posted by Fi
    on

Thanks Caramba – it is helpful to see how others are doing who are in a similar situation. I enter my details into a spreadsheet called “New You” and I am still classed as Obese Class 1 (which sounds awful) so I will be really pleased once I am classified as Overweight which shouldn’t be too long now! Good-luck to you and everyone else (the first thing I do when I get into work in the morning is open up the forum on the website and then I minimize it and then just click on it throughout the day for all the encouraging news and banter – Bill always makes me have a giggle!

• posted by orchid
    on

Well done Bill – that is fantastic news!

• posted by NewLife
    on

Bill, med-free! Whoop πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Well done Fi, great results!

• posted by NewLife
    on

So, I’m 4 weeks in. I lost 4lb last week bringing my total to 16lbs so far. I’m over the moon πŸ™‚
    I haven’t been measuring but I’m in a smaller size clothes and my BMI is down from 31.6 to 29.1.

1st goal reached, sock shopping later on!

For those whose weight loss had slowed – keep going. Mine had been 2lb only for the last couple of weeks and now 4 πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, YYYAAAAAAYY, Meds free!!! You’ve done it Bill, I’m So thrilled for you :). :). :). :). :). πŸ™‚

I love the way your stepson is not doing the BSD – just eating the same lunches as you and no starchy carbs. Sshhhh don’t tell him anyone! πŸ˜‰

It’s amazing how, if you follow the principles of the diet, eating out is not a problem! I ate out 3 times with no consequences last week! I find if I say no chips, toast etc I am always offered some more salad, veg etc

Patsy, it’s brilliant that your mum started you on this and well done on what you have achieved so far!
    Good news from purple penguin, fi and ay caramba as well.

What a wonderful start to the week guys!!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Newlife, great results πŸ™‚

• posted by Lea71
    on

Well done to you all! It’s great to see people achieving their goals.
    I am on my last day of week one. I haven’t had significant weight loss (2lb) but I have not been doing a great job of counting carbs and calories. I see the program works and I want it to work for me. I think I need to follow Michael’s diet plan more closely and see if I can do better in week 2. Avoiding temptation in a house catering for carb- hungry teenagers has been tricky and a test of my willpower – not winning yet!
    Lea

• posted by Carolg
    on

End of week 9 down 3.25 lbs last week Total so far 2st 6.5lbs how good is that. BS creeping down gradually in the 6s mostly, with odd 5.something, and an odd 7.1 just to remind me I’m not there yet.

Grats on the coming off meds Bill, great news you must feel so good.
    I have an appointment with diabetic nurse tomorrow for blood results from last week

Lol had to edit as said as I was down 6 stone …sigh .. if only.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Thank you hashimoto!

Lea – stick with it. The fewer carbs you eat, the less you crave them.

Carol – wow!!!

• posted by Bruno
    on

Hi Lea,
    Keep at it. Have a look though the book and pick a few recipes you like.
    I’m starting week 10 and I’ve had great weight loss, but I’ve still a lot to lose. It’s true what NewLife says, the less carbs you eat the less you’ll crave them.
    I don’t have any kids in the house, but because I’ve changed my eating habits my other half has gone the opposite way and is eating more convenience food rather than cook a meal from scratch just for herself. She is pretty healthy despite being McDonalds best customer!
    This forum is a great motivator, always plenty of help and good advice.

• posted by CallMeDeb
    on

Hello All! I’ve finally caught up reading all of your posts and I am so pleased for all of you!

I am happy to announce that I am down another 3.4lbs, bringing my total to 7.8lbs in TWO WEEKS. Also, down a half inch on my waist (bringing that shrinkage to 1.5″)

I am ecstatic with these results! I am also happy that this diet has reduced my meds (no insulin, halved the Janumet*, and nixed the Forxiga** and statins).

But mostly I am happy that I reached my first reward level (5lbs) and have purchased NEW LUNCH CONTAINERS! With SCREW TOP LIDS. So now I can transport soup without fear πŸ˜‰

Bill – a thought about your plateau. It could be from coming off the metformin and your body adjusting to that. You have the right attitude though! ONWARDS!

Cheers,

Deb

* Janumet contains a combination of metformin and sitagliptin. Metformin works by decreasing glucose (sugar) production in the liver and decreasing absorption of glucose by the intestines. Sitagliptin works by regulating the levels of insulin your body produces after eating.

** Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) is a tablet medication which helps to reduce blood glucose levels by helping the kidneys to remove glucose from the blood.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Deb so pleased you have reached your new lunch box target!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Lea71
    on

Thanks for the support. Week 2 Day 1. Back on track. Re-reading Michael’s book and the forum posts and have renewed my motivation. I will try and use recipes from the book this week and see how I go. I think of food constantly and hope this passes. Day off today and I find it harder at home – much easier when I’m busy at work.
    I hope to report a bigger loss at the end of week 2 but -1.3kg in week 1 is a step in the right direction.
    Lea

• posted by NewLife
    on

Deb, you’re doing great!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lea
    When you say thinking of food do you mean wanting to eat or planning meals?
    I think we re all planning away all the time but if you’re wanting to eat I would suggest you have more fat in your diet.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by Fatty
    on

So weighed for the first time today.. beginning of week 5.. down 9kg (19.8 pound) from the day I decided to do this… happy with that…since I have cut back to one quarter of my diabetic meds as well…Thank you to everyone for their support… its half over!!!!!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Deb,
    Great results with the weight loss and the meds! To be able to reduce your meds so early is a pretty awesome achievement. That’s a fantastic start to your first few weeks on the BSD. Enjoy getting all your soups safely to work πŸ™‚

Hi Sharon,
    You too have had great results! Even your lovely endo couldn’t forsee you having such success. Would love to see her reaction when you next get back to Adelaide!! Well done. Can’t wait to hear about your next few weeks and finally ditching the nasty metformin. πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Carolg you’ve also had impressive weight loss, and you’re getting there with the blood sugars too. πŸ™‚ don’t forget to let us know the results of your blood test. I love hearing about the HbA1c results so I’m sure it inspires others too.

• posted by Fatty
    on

Hi Cherrianne, Thanks for the encouragement… I don’t have a problem with metformin…never had any negative side effects… and have to resign myself to the fact that I may have to take some of it forever… In you opinion, why is it considered so nasty ?.. because so many people have gut issues with it??

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lea,
    Don’t be discouraged. You are still 2 lb lighter after only a week.
    It is tough going when you are surrounded by temptation, especially in the early days of the diet.
    If you really stick with it during the first two weeks the carb cravings will disappear and it won’t bother you to have teenagers munching away πŸ™‚
    Prepare some snacks and keep them handy for when you feel hungry. I used to keep individual portions weighed out in zip lock bags in the fridge. That way you can grab one in a hurry or take it with you if you’re going out. Get a variety of snacks ready for when the urge strikes. Eg: hard boiled eggs, weigh out 20g cheese, 50g strawberries, 30g raw almonds or pecans, serve of hummus and some celery/ cucumber/ peppers to dip into it. If you have a variety of ‘safe’ snacks ready to go you’ll be less likely to stray.
    Another good idea is to delay your snack by telling yourself you can eat after drinking a full glass of water, or a cup of tea, or ten minutes of reading forum posts etc. sometimes you’ll find you were just thirsty or bored and not really hungry.
    Stick with it and stay in touch, you’ll get plenty of support and encouragement here.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Sharon,
    Yes it’s because of the gut issues. So many people have indigestion, diarrhoea or urgency and even just uncomfortable gut symptoms. I was really adamant I wasn’t going to go down that path! Personally I’m not entirely convinced by it’s effectiveness, even the manufacturers only claim it MAY help to lower blood sugars lol. If they don’t believe in it fully, why should I?
    At the moment you’re right in the middle of where Bill and I and a few others started to have some blood sugar spikes. It took about 3 weeks for me, and a bit longer for Bill, to come out the other side. Give yourself a few more weeks and you might find yourself med free like Bill. The big blood sugar changes seem to happen towards the end of the 8 weeks.

• posted by Fatty
    on

Yeah Cherrianne, in actual fact that is what Natalie Giles said… they don’t think it actually works in some people and they suspect it is those that have no side effects that also have no efficacy… so … that would be me… we shall see…. I have had a few spikes overnight late last week but it seems to have settled… so far… and I have halved my metformin because I want the glucagon dumping done with!!! Will see what happens over the next few days…. but so far I have not noticed any change…. except for more energy generally in myself… and staying below 50g carbs after reading your posts with Lachlan… working for me too… Cheers for that…

• posted by Kingdoone
    on

Wow . Well done.

• posted by Lea71
    on

Thanks Penny – food thoughts are mostly about planning but some are negative thoughts about what I can’t eat! I am not hungry so I think I am getting enough fat. I love to cook delicious food for my family and I am having to change this habit – or at least the usual offerings. I can’t resist home made cakes / slices / biscuits that are normally in the pantry for school lunches etc, so I have to stop baking. My family will benefit too. I just have to get my head around this change so that I don’t feel like I am depriving us. πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lea
    It’s difficult, but really your family is being deprived of the sugar habit, so a good thing. Maybe you could bake low carb stuff, almond flour, eggs, coconut flour and so on.
    Of course we ve all become addicted to sugar so it’s bound to be s bit of a wrench. Be good trick is when you find yourself thinking about the food you’re no longer eating, deliberately think about something else. It has to be something interesting- for me it’s planning the allotment!
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lea, tonight I had a friend round for dinner and she really enjoyed the food. All BSD – starter of courgette bhaji, followed by foil wrapped salmon with soy, ginger root, chilli, garlic, red onion and cherry tomatoes, served with courgettie and purple sprouting broccoli, followed by half a small pot of fage yoghurt with some ground flax and blueberries.

An entire days food in one sitting for me but we were both stuffed, (it’s no wonder I fell asleep on the sofa) and she said it topped any restaurant meal ???? and she can’t believe how delicious proper yoghurt is!!
    Guess what? She’s having a go at the diet. She only wants to lose about 5lbs so it won’t take her long.

You may not be able to bake your usual cakes etc but I bet you can still whip up a storm in the kitchen!! πŸ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

I agree with Hashimoto there Lea. If you love to cook and are creative you can still come up with delicious food. School snacks don’t have to be sweet. Home made hummus and dips in little pots, with a zip lock bag of cruditΓ©s or crackers. I make little cheese, carrot and zucchini muffins for my kids. Just eggs, milk, grated carrot, cheese and zucchini. Bake in cup size muffin tray and you can eat it yourself too. You do need to grease the tray well though. Some home made flap jacks using rolled oats, coconut and more butter, less golden syrup than traditional recipes are good too. Flour less cakes using almond meal. I also made the coconut flour flatbread recipe, added shredded coconut and some sultanas, baked in cake cases and they were popular with my kids too. Sometimes my attempts don’t turn out well, but my chickens eat the evidence lol πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrieanne I like what you did with the coconut flatbreads, I think I will try that. Thanks πŸ™‚

• posted by Kingdoone
    on

My first 7 days has gone very well .
    I am here because I am obese and am heading for diabetes if I don’t gain control over my large waist !
    Happily I have lost 7 pounds this week and reduced my waist by 1 and half inches .
    A way to go , but I feel very encouraged.
    I am very interested in your posts and progress .
    Keep em coming πŸ˜„

Please log in or register to post a reply.