'Weigh in' thread

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi SunnyB
    Have a great holiday and don’t worry about weight while you’re away.
    Water retention from the hot climate and the flight will all affect you so just have a good time, eat all that beautiful fresh Turkish food, and if you manage to find a bar / cafe with internet, make us all jealous and check in πŸ˜€

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Newlife that happens to me all the time!! There are so many emails in my box from this site I try to read them quickly and get myself in a muddle!!! πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Glad it’s not just me!

SunnyB have a great trip πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Sunnyb have a wonderful trip and do as Bill said! x

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Bon voyage Sunnyb! You will feel the benefit of what you have lost so far. Have a lovely time and check in with us whenever you can!xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and encouraging words. Will check in when I can. Good luck to everyone for continued good progress. xx

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Hi SunnyB
    Hope you have the most amazing road trip out to Turkey. I’m sure now that you are aware of what you need to avoid, you will come back having lost not only the 2.5lb to make the stone, but a lot more besides. Have a good time and good luck.
    Janice

• posted by Allychat
    on

Bon voyage SunnyB. I find I walk alot more than usual when I travel so do enjoy yourself. Almost end week 9 – weigh in today – total loss 10.1kg (yay – half way mark) and 21cm off my waist. Down two sizes too. Taking the weekend off to celebrate 2 family occasions but back to lose the next 10 from Monday. I literally feel lighter on my feet. Have not made any changes to my usual amount of exercise yet but planning to do so for the next 10 after I finish reading Michael’s book on exercise. Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    Maybe I ll give it another try
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Judith
    I have terrible white coat syndrome. If I take my BP at home it’s much better. If I sit and think of calming things first, like imagining looking at the sea, it’s even lower
    Penny
    Which reminds me- is anyone doing any of the calming meditation stuff? Never gets mentioned!

• posted by Natalie
    on

pmshrink, I have the Headspace app and listen to it sometimes. Then either think about something else, or fall asleep! Every so often I get jolted back by the voice in my ear. I suck at meditation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Natalie, I’m the same. Penny, I use the mindfullness idea, but even that doesn’t last long before brain chatter happens. I had a newletter from foodforthebrain.com yesterday about mindfulness and eating. I’ll have to read it properly, it’s about effect rather than technique πŸ™‚

• posted by Beverley
    on

It is great reading about everyone’s weight loss. Here’s mine so far: I started 10 days ago and have lost 5kg! My starting weight was 110kg and my weight this morning was 104.4kg. I’d like to lose 40kg by the end of the year. I never thought that was doable (let alone safe) until I listened to Michael Mosely on the radio a fortnight ago and clicked on his website and started reading… I’m feeling really positive and confident. It’s a lot of weight but it will make a HUGE difference in my life. πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

Way to go Beverley! You can do it πŸ™‚

• posted by Lea71
    on

Well done Beverley – 5 kg in 10 days is amazing. Hearing Michael’s radio program inspired me too. I am Day 4 and don’t think there is much difference on my scales yet, but it’s early days!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,

Week 2 Day 1: 3 kgs down and 2cm off my waist. I’m quietly confident.

Hi pmshrink, I use Smiling Mind app (Australia). If you scroll down the forum heading page there’s a minfulness heading. I would love to hear what others are doing around the topic of mindfulness. There must be others out there that are curious.

Happy BSDing.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic Beverley, you will do it! Just look at captainlynne! I. Bet she thought she couldn’t lose the amount she has lost in just 14 weeks! You still have weeks to go to reach your goal and this diet just gets easier the longer you do it πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natalie
    I find headspace a bit annoying! I sometimes use The Calm app – but not very often! In fact I tend to forget about that aspect of MM s advice although the Calm app I do find very calming.
    Penny

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Switzerland

You had me fooled!
    Great stats. Got any good recipes for Joey burgers? As if!

Did tai chi once upon a time so mindful in that. Should do it again. I’ve found the whole thinking, planning , shopping , cooking , posting (I never did that before) BSD experience to be of itself mindful

Didn’t know I was ‘Sad’ before ( not depressed) can’t think of another description for it. But I’m happy now. Haven’t been for a long time. Been grieving my parents deaths. Know my mum would be so pleased I’m where I’m at now

They both were type 2 & I wish I could have shared this with them

Wow! Heavy ( auto came up Heaven) so yeh, Heaven for a Friday
    See what mindfulness does
    Ciao
    Eureka

• posted by ali2on
    on

πŸ˜€ 4 weeks in and one stone down, 1.5 stone to go til I’m around “ideal” weight for my height, so I think this is do-able, and I’ve a couple of plans for upping my exercise to help as well.

Really feeling much better without carby food, so think this is a lifestyle change, although I do have a rugby sevens tournament that I’m going to tomorrow that will potentially involve quite a bit of junk food… will be doing some food prep tonight to try and avoid that!

• posted by TWills63
    on

ali2on, I’m almost identical, 4 weeks in and a stone gone (15lbs actually) and I have another 1.5 stone to go to be at a weight I have been happy with in the past. I’m eating little in the way of carby food, just the odd bean thing and starchy veg, and finding it okay. I’m not really sticking to the 800 calories, in fact I’m not counting calories at all (it just brought back too many horrid memories of WW and the like), I’m sticking to the lowest carb I can. I might have another week of 800 when I get back from holiday next month but I intend to stick to low carb when I am away (self catering so it shouldn’t be difficult).

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am out for a family meal. I have (more or less) decided that I will go for the most sensible main I can find on the menu but I am going to allow myself pudding. Partly I feel that this is how my life should be, that things like pudding should be once a year treats, and partly I’m interested to know how I feel with a dose of sugar having had practically none for a month. I will report back!

Have a lovely weekend one and all.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

TWills have a lovely birthday tomorrow πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ali2on, well done on weightloss. I feel so much better without carby food. This is how I will live from now on πŸ™‚

• posted by Beverley
    on

Happy Birthday TWills63! Enjoy your pudding – as you say treats are okay it’s just the frequency we eat them that we’re changing. πŸ™‚

I’m down from 104.4kg yesterday to 104kg today. I think cutting back on my cups of cocoa (which I drink instead of tea or coffee because they hype me up too much) did the trick. I’m switching to fruit infusion teas. To help with drinking enough water each day I’ve placed a 1.5 litre jug on the kitchen bench and added some lemon juice and have a glass when I’m in the kitchen. I have been getting a few headaches, especially in the morning on waking and later in the day.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Happy Birthday TWills63, have a lovely day and enjoy your birthday meal πŸ™‚

I’m at the same stage as you, coming to the end of 4 wks and a stone down! It’s a good feeling, isn’t it?

• posted by NewLife
    on

Well done Ali2on πŸ™‚

I’m eating out today for the first time – a pub lunch. I’ve looked at the menu online and chosen the best option, burger (no bun) and salad. Avoiding the desserts will be my first real test of resolve and I don’t have the birthday excuse to use πŸ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Good choice newlife! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hurray! This morning I lost another pound putting me at a 2 stone 10lbs loss. For the first time in 22 years my weight starts with 8 stones! 8st 13 lbs to be precise! I got on the scales twice for the thrill of those numbers.

I’m meeting up with my cousin and her family for lunch today, but have absolutely no worries about what I eat as there is always something suitable on any menu. Not how I felt in the beginning! πŸ™‚

• posted by NewLife
    on

hash, that is brilliant πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Another 2 pounds off, making a total of 45 pounds.

Waves goodbye to the 13s and looks forward to seeing the 11s in the not too distant future.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone, Some great weight loss figures on this weigh in thread. Well done. It works! It works! It works!

Eureka, I’m so pleased you said ‘as if’ to the joey burger recipes……..I would never partake of the National Emblem!(lol) It’s nice to hear you feel happy these days…….life certainly throws us some curve balls.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Hashimoto – really well done – have a lovely lunch!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

It’s fantastic to find oneself in a lower stones figure isn’t it Lynne? I’m still so excited as you must be! πŸ™‚

Thanks Orchid and NewLife πŸ™‚

Right off to get showered and ready! πŸ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Pmshrink,
    I use Headspace and have been off and on since November. I find it useful and have been using it to get through a close family bereavement. I had a run of 4-5 weeks continuous daily use, but for no real reason other than bad planning, have not used it for about a week. Will try to get back to it today. Currently working through one of their programmes on ‘focus and concentration’ – I have a butterfly mind, fitting from one thing to another. One a good day it can be classified as multi-tasking – on a bad day just being very non-productive!
    I like the fact I can use it from my PC as opposed to being tied to the phone, but I can use it from the phone if I am travelling.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, just thinking that 16, 15, 14 and 13 must be lonely, I’ve been with them for do long😳 LOL

A hopefully short visit to 12, then on to re-visit 11, 10 and possibly 9.

Once the twins have gone home I’ll look for new clothes again. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by BobSmith
    on

Hi everyone, my dilemma is that I am type 2 diabetic, controlled by diet but…. I also have high cholesterol. My enquiry is, would something like the fast 800 diet do my type 2 the world of good but hinder the lowering of my high cholesterol? I am advised to have a high fibre diet to lower my cholesterol (along with 2 types of statin medication), but my concern is that the high fibre will be detrimental to me lowering my sugar count. Any thoughts would be welcomed…
    Bob

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.
    Many people have found that going low carb is the key to lower cholesterol. Michael has given examples in the book.
    My Mum was doing the fast 800 with me and her cholesterol is low enough now not to need statins. She had cardiac complications caused by the diabetes and was told that diet alone could only lower cholesterol by 10%. Well she certainly busted that myth!
    So the short answer is just do it, solve two problems with one diet.
    You will get lots of help from forum members, just ask πŸ™‚ because we have members across the globe there is nearly always someone around.

• posted by BobSmith
    on

That is great news Cherrianne, thank you for responding to me, I appreciate it. I will now search for the book and let you all know how I progress. I have already gone from 17 stone 4 pounds to (today) 15 stone 4- 3/4 pounds… the issue at the moment is I appear to be losing weight from my legs, arms and a couple of chins… but still maintain a too large a stomach. As I say I will keep in touch with the thread now I am committed to taking the diet forward.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bob and welcome

As Cherrianne says, there are folk on here who have reduced their cholesterol on the BSD. Go for it, it worksπŸ˜ƒ

• posted by BobSmith
    on

Hello captainlynne,
    thank you, very kind of you. I have just downloaded the 8 week blood sugar book for kindle… wish me luck, I’m going in!
    Bob

• posted by JustMe
    on

Hello – Newbie checking in.
    Been on the diet a week today and lost 3.2 kg so very happy with that. The forums are all very encouraging.
    Cheers

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Yay Bob, great decision to join the BSD family, you won’t regret it ( well not after the first two days anyway lol, you might be a bit hungry at first).
    Read CaptainLynne’s thread over the 16 week line for inspiration, and neohdiver has posted great cholesterol reduction in the DearDiary….. thread.
    Keep posting, ask for help if you need it and you’ll get lots of support and encouragement.
    Can’t wait to be reading about your progress soon, we celebrate your successes along with you πŸ™‚

• posted by Bruno
    on

Well done Hashimoto,
    You are a real lightweight compared to me.
    I’m looking forward to the 16st 13lb barrier, I’m currently 17st 4lb.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bruno you’ll do it!!! 5 lbs and you are at that weight beginning 16 st. I was lucky that this book appeared at the time I was piling weight on for no apparent reason, others were less fortunate. I’m pretty sure, the way my weight was going pre BSD diet, that I would have had an awful lot more to lose! πŸ™‚

Just Me – a brilliant start to your BSD way of life and you are over the toughest week! πŸ™‚

Hi BobSmith, good decision to get the book on your kindle! Don’t worry about your cholesterol as I think you will find, like others, that it comes down on this diet! the only thing which concerned my GP was the fact I was eating full fat. I get my cholesterol checked next Tuesday and I expect there to be an improvement πŸ™‚

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

Really pleased with another Inch off my waist (40inches to 37.5 inches in 3 weeks) and 6lb off in total though I have yoyo’d in last two weeks with holiday and work commitments making planning meals harder. I’m one of those who isn’t losing lbs in vast quantities but seeing a huge change in my shape, particularly waist measurements as above. So be encouraged!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow, funkydoo, two and a half inches of your waist in just 3 weeks is fabulous!! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne you will have fun buying new clothes now you are leaving blacks and navys behind! πŸ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Beverly
    Great start! Look forward to reading your progress.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Justme
    Welcome to the forums. Looks like you ve made a good start. Do shout for help if you need any. We really all here to help.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natalie and Judith
    It’s normal to not be able to do it. The Buddhists call it monkey- mind. It’s trying to do it that helps, it’s not really possible to ‘succeed’. I learnt this on a silent (!) meditation week about 30 years ago. The success is the trying.
    I just keep forgetting to try!
    Today though I did some. An app called Payse, which is quite fun and no annoying voices. I did it in the car ( not my turn to drive!!) today. It’s about 10 minutes. You put your finger on a blob and follow it slowly around. Then it follows you. Has to be slow. That’s it. But for some reason that is calming!
    The Calm app is more calming but more effort.
    I’m going to try to remember.
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.