Starting Tomorrow

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Dear All and welcome Abi and Ange1ine, I am a real Luddite but have managed to get the tablet WiFi able (not really sure how?!)Hope that you are feeling a bit better Claire0310.
    We are enjoying Wales, (in Llangrannog Avila, do you know it?) This is the fourth year we have been here and I am always on some kind of diet?! Butt it really feels different. The constant obsessional carving for food has really reduced for me and that’s in itself feels amazingly liberating.
    I wished that I had brought my scales,as that really helps me to keep focussed, but I will enjoy reading your posts on Monday. Now going to see if I can log on to my fitness pal πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi, I don’t know Llangrannog itself but being on Cardigan Bay is good thing. I went to Aberystwyth Uni back in early 90s.

Feeling hopeful for Monday weigh in.

• posted by EdCel
    on

Just thought I’d check in on Day 7. I’ve lost 4kg which I’m really pleased with, down to 94kg. I have lost this weight before though quite recently in a more active healthier month and I think like the book says a lot of it is probably water. Haven’t been below this weight in a long time though so hoping it continues. Things I’ve found so far are
    – I’m definitely better with higher volume meals so I’d rather eat a massive plate of courgetti that a tiny amount of bean mash
    – sounds really annoying but a walk definitely improves hunger pains
    – I am shocked by my absolutely immediate craving for sugar after evening meal. I gave up smoking 5 years ago and it’s every bit as strong
    – a Coke Zero really gets me through the tricky late afternoon bit. Maybe not ideal but I’m not going to worry about it
    – I couldn’t really do the diet on Friday as eating out lunch and dinner so just went no carb/small portion and seemed OK though definitely way over 800
    – still definitely not exercising enough but have started getting off the tube two stops early
    – I think I drink 2l water at least but am still a bit dehydrated?

Hope everyone else doing ok

• posted by Avila
    on

I am going for the monday morning weigh in – but are in the same range. I started from my general hovering between 99 and 100kg nd looking at 97 now, hint at 96. something but that is in the various ebb and flows of a day.

• posted by TiggerB
    on

It’s my weigh in tomorrow – mine will be in lbs though.

• posted by Magpie
    on

Hi All,
    Well it’s the start of week 2 for many who started here at the same time. I found the weekend really hard. I’m fine being busy at work but with more time on my hands I found I was hungry and our habits of getting a take away pizza for dinner on Saturday night and drinks and nibblies with friends on Sunday evening, didn’t help! We didn’t get the pizza, I resisted the nibblies..I had a handful of nuts but I did have a scotch and coke zero. I’m sure I went over my calorie limit but all in all it wasn’t too bad. Our old dodgy scales have been showing a downward trend. I have lost 2 inches from my waist and my clothes are sitting more comfortably. I do feel a bit more energetic…perhaps not quite as ‘foggy’. A good result I feel!! I am reading some amazing stories on here and facebook. Lots of motivation about. Well done everyone!

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Morning all. Just weighed in and have lost an entire 1lb. Frankly disappointed given the indication in the book that I could expect a lot more.

• posted by Izzy
    on

everyone is different, and every week is different. All of us have slower weeks, faster weeks and stay the same weeks.

I lose slowly, but any other diet I also lose slowly – if at all.

BSD gave me back control, I’ve consistently lost weight over the last 4 months albeit slower than most, I don’t remember ever being able to stick to any diet for this long it’s truly become a lifetime change for me. It isn’t just about the weight loss although I’m not trivialising that at all, but there is much to be gained from this way of eating. Most of us feel better, most of us feel more control. I’ll take it!

I hope you have a better week next week.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Claire0310 , I would be disappointed, but personally I think that you have done brilliantly, by simply keeping to it this week. You managed despite the oven breaking down on the first day and then feeling rough with your cough. For me, that would have been my excuse to turn to cake (brought obviously as there would be no working oven?!)

• posted by ChrissieW1953
    on

Claire I would be disappointed too. In fact I expect to be tomorrow am when I formally weigh in! I see no sign of my skinny gene being turned on lol. I was following the Mediterranean diet the week before so would not have expected a massive loss but still.
    Have there been any positives? Oh and really well done re the pizza etc
    A major plus for me has been breaking my addiction to carbs. Maybe some increase in energy levels but not dramatic.
    Personally at this point my plan is to do the second week as per plan and if I still only lose 1-2 pound I will try the 5:2 plan as the massive effort and extreme hunger are not worth it. I lost 2lb the week before just following lo carb on 1200 cals per day.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Oh Claire I feel your pain! How many weeks have you bean on BSD now? I know some people on here had a lull in weight loss on weeks 2-3? On any other ‘diet’ one pound would be terrific wouldn’t it. How do you monitor your cals/carbs? Hope you get a better result next week!

I lost 2 and a half pounds this week too. I’m also a lot slower than so many of you on here -but for me this sort of loss in a week is amazing!! So in just 5 weeks I lost 9 pounds. I feel so much better too! It seems we’ve stumbled across the magic way of eating – and it feels great doesn’t it?!!!

Bean πŸ™‚

• posted by Minxie48
    on

Ahh Claire, I can understand your disappointment but it has to come off eventually, you’ll probably have a big loss next week, stay strong x

My first week results are in and I’ve lost 5.5lbs this week, really happy with that. Now to focus on this week ahead. Good luck everyone x

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Wow! Wow! and again I say Wow! Well DONE MINXIE48! What a super start. (I’ve never lost that amount in a week – doh!!)

Bean xx

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

It can be so disappointing re the weight.

But

Are you measuring and trying yourself against target clothes? It seemed to take forever for me to see the weight go, but my jeans felt looser, I could see I looked thinner in the face, and my shape seemed to change. It is true that the fat goes from around the internal organs first rather than some of the more obvious bits

So PLEASE see if you can persist a bit longer as the hunger DOES go down. After such a great effort it would be a pity to stop too early before your body gets the hang of it – after all we are changing the whole way our hormones work and that does take time.

I have been really successful, losing eventually more than 15% of my starting body weight and changing my shape completely. It was difficult at many times but I am so proud of myself for persisting.

I wish you all good luck – you are doing wonderful things for yourself. If you falter, remember that 8 weeks is hardly anything in a lifetime. You can do it- give it a good chance. πŸ™‚

• posted by Minxie48
    on

Thank you Bean, I’m really please. I don’t think I’ve ever lost that much either, I think I’ve finally found an eating plan that suits me πŸ‘πŸΌ

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Its exciting isn’t it! Well done MINXIE!!

• posted by Magpie
    on

Keep at it Claire. Don’t focus too much on numbers. Do you feel any better? Are your clothes feeling bigger? I’m finding not focusing on numbers this time is much easier to live with. xx

• posted by karenv
    on

Good luck Claire I understand your disappointment, but as others have said some have slow weeks others have weeks where more comes off, it could be just a slow week hopefully…and you made a huge lifestyle change and kept to it, be proud of what you achieved πŸ™‚

And you lost ONE POUND of fat…do you know what that looks like…when you see it it looks like a huge amount…hard to think of all that clogging up our system!!
    http://dietdatabase.com/1-pound-body-fat-facts-pictures/

I’m having a slow week too. If you look at the forums there’s lots of people who have slow weeks, weeks where they didn’t lose, and then after a week or two things started moving again…it’s a common thing I think.

For me I remind myself of the positive changes this diet is bringing, my liver is gradually losing fat (less chance health complications), my blood sugar levels are coming down, I’m eating better and more nutritious foods, I’m not as tired (finally!!) and my skin is clearer. And the hunger has passed for me – I am getting much much less cravings than before when I was just a sugar craving monster. So look at everything, not just the weight πŸ™‚ This thread details some of the changes people have experienced that aren’t just weight on the BSD:

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/what-are-your-non-weight-changes-that-you-have-noticed-on-the-bsd/

Best of luck to everyone this week, and congrats to everyone, for all the losses, WELL DONE ALL ROUND x

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Claire,
    A pound lost is one less pound that you are dragging around with you. Be wary of comparing yourself to the examples given in the book – all diet books give lots of inspirational examples to reel you in/spur you on. But the reality is that we human beings are all different and for all the spectacular results we hear about there will be many (such as myself) who have lost weight a lot slower – but we have still lost weight. I’ve been doing the BSD for most of this year – my weekly average weight loss is slightly over 1 pound. In total I have lost just over 30 pounds – for me that is brilliant, it may not be as much as others have achieved but I’m not bothered, I’m just concentrating on doing the necessary to get me into the Healthy part of the BMI.
    Don’t despair, stick with it!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi RozyDozy
    your comment about quoting the best comments reminded me of a book I picked up a few weeks ago – ploughed my way through the forward, and they (three authors) were writing about ‘star patient’ who’d lost 25lb in EIGHTEEN months.
    OK, so losing 25lb is better than not losing 25lb – but compared to most of the results of people using this site, I wasn’t hugely wowed! I should go back and read a bit more though – I think it was focusing on the emotional side of eating patterns.
    I’ll find it and have another go!

• posted by Avila
    on

Oh Claire – but could the cough and feeling ill have done strange things to the metabolism to ‘protect’ you from losing weight ?? ?? Hang on in and see what this week brings.

I am working in kgs to get rid of the psychological baggage of certain stone numbers.

I started when fluctuating between 98 and 99. Now in range 96-97kgs

I have been preparing and eating in regular meals – that was one of my aims, to get a healthier rhythm than my ‘not bothered then binge’ pattern.

• posted by lovetocook
    on

Hoping there’s room for one more! Today is my first ‘official’ day doing the diet, although I started to ease myself into it last week when I got back from my holidays. I’m an Aussie living in Edinburgh, been here for a bit over a year now, and that’s after a year in Singapore. I weighed myself last week and I’ve gained almost 6kg’s in the last year, and I’m really not happy with that. When I lived in Melbourne, I did quite well with a low carb diet, then, in Singapore, rice and noodles really crept back into my diet. Since being in the UK I’ve succumbed to trying all the new treats and snacks that are different here – I’m an absolute sucker for a crisp. As a result, my sugar control is no longer as good as it used to be (I’m type 2, diagnosed about 10 years ago).

So, Day 1. Doing ok so far, but it’s only lunch time. I’ve cut out my usual large triple shot latte and I’m drinking black coffee and heaps of water. Dinner is planned (made it yesterday). Lunch was homemade veggie soup. Hoping work keeps me busy enough this afternoon that I don’t think about food!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi LoveToCook
    hope that BSD goes well for you – these forums are a life saver if motivation starts flagging!

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi guys! Thanks so much for the welcome and encouragement πŸ™‚ Monday weigh-in and I have lost just over 1kg. Really happy! Although I know it gets harder, and there is water weight etc..

I am going out for dinner tonight so trying to eat small to save calories, but I have just had an extra banana…not terrible but another 100 calories gone! I won’t make target today so just trying to make the best of it today then back on it properly tomorrow.

Claire, do keep going through the disappointment, you are doing good things for your body!! But it is rubbish to work hard and have what feels like a tiny result. (It’s not though, it’s great!!!)

lovetocook, good luck this week!

Hope we all make some good progress this week, well done so far everyone πŸ™‚

• posted by allyj48
    on

Hello All,
    I started doing my interpretation of this diet about 4 weeks ago, I’ve been doing 4 or 5 days very low calorie , very limited carbs and then eating ‘normally’ the other 2 -3 days.
    According to my scales I have lost 10lbs in 4 weeks whish is by far the quickest I have ever lost that sort of weight!
    I had a health check at the doctors 3 weeks ago and had to go back last week for a fasting blood test and had a phone call earlier today to say my glucose is slightly raised and I have to go back again this week for another blood test! I’m hoping that with another week under my belt that it will be just within limits.
    I don’t find the diet too difficult whilst I’m at work, which covers me for 4 days, I do find it really difficult on the 3 days I’m off though!.
    Omn a work day I have fruit and yoghut for breakfast and then either a salad with meat or fish for lunch and then I’ve been eating meat or fish for tea, minus any carbs. So no potatoes, pasta or rice, just plenty of vegetables-you can’t beat steak, mushrooms a bit of blue cheese and lots of vegetables. I’ve even been eating broccoli!!

I like reading these forums and seeing how other people are doing and getting some inspiration from them. I dont’ like cooking or exercising and have a very sedentary job. The most exercise I’m getting at the moment is going to the loo at lot with all the water I’m drinking.
    Although I’ve lost some weight and fairly quickly, the inches don’t seem to be disappearing and I defnitely don’t feel any different and haven’t suddenly developed a craving for aerobics or any other form of exercis come to that. I’m going to stick with this and hopefully lose 4 stones in total.
    πŸ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome allyj48, glad what you are doing seems to work for you.

Can I ask what you are eating on your non BSD 2-3 days? Are you still avoiding refined carbs, the bread, pasta etc?

• posted by allyj48
    on

Hello Igorasusual,
    On my ‘off days’ I’m not avoiding refined carbs as such, but trying to keep calories below 2000. I haven’t eaten bread or pasta since I started doing this which I’m not finding too difficult but I am really really struggling to give up the piece of cake I have once a week when I have lunch with my mum!!!
    I’m very concious of what I’m eating and think twice before eating anything ‘bad’ but my thinking is if I can be really good 4 or 5 days of the week then I can relax on the weekends as long as I get back to it on the Monday!
    I’ve always struggled to stick to any diet but am really hopeful that this way of eating can be something that I can stick to.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi LOVE TO COOK & ALLYJ48 xx ! Wishing you luck on yr new path!
    ABISAYSYES well done on yr loss and enjoy your dinner out tonight x!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Ally

Well, I think you are doing really well – it makes sense to have the scheme work for you (try reading Lucia’s thread, she is totally inspirational about doing what you can, and then adding in more when you feel like it both in terms of (good) food and exercise.)

A lot of people have reported having an increased feeling of ‘aliveness’ after giving up all refined carbs. From my own point of view (and OH) we suddenly feel much more lively and energetic, and – for instance – we are getting up in the morning not feeling at all tired or foggy, very different especially for OH. Coffee at 7am on a Sunday in the garden is one of the results πŸ™‚

A number of people also report feeling odd whilst they are kicking their carb addiction (because that is what it is), but this lasts only a few days, and afterwards they feel great and the hunger lessens.

So if you did feel you could gradually cut out the refined carbs on your non BSD days and have perhaps increased calories, but BSD principles, you might see additional results.

But you are very very good to get back on the wagon promptly on Monday! πŸ™‚

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Igor is so right that people feel ALIVENESS! This is because eating that burger on whole grain hamburger bun is the same as shooting a needle in your arm of HEROIN! Thank 5 SUPER BIG Agri chemical companies for that:

MONSANTO
    DOW CHEMICAL
    MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL
    DUPONT
    BAYER

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_peptide

I have eliminated wheat, barley, and Rye 3 years ago. Yep: Designated driver when there is a beer party!

read up on this mumbo jumbo science stuff! It will creep you out seeing the truth!

Congrads on feeling ALIVE from your 3-5 days withdrawal from KILLER DRUGS!

KEEP IT UP! STAY ON THE WAGON WITH US!

Live Long And Prosper!

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Hi everyone! Thanks for your supportive and knowledgeable posts. I’ve been reading them all day in between meetings but didn’t get the chance to post before now. I was also walking between meetings, took a 20 minute walk at lunchtime and went around the park with my son when I got home. Small effort really which equalled 11,000 steps. My goal this week is to hit my minimum 10,000 daily step goal.

New oven was installed today so that is going to make cooking a lot easier and the super strength antibiotics appear to be working. When completely better I want to re-do/re-run the Zombies Run 5K training app. I don’t know if anyone has done it but it’s really good. Excellent for complete beginners.

Diet wise: 817 calories. What made a massive difference this morning was having full fat Greek yogurt rather than low fat (100g). Much tastier and it kept hunger at bay until lunchtime whereas the low fat version last week did not.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Morning all. Just weighed myself and the scales are showing another 1lb loss. Well chuffed!

• posted by ChrissieW1953
    on

Well despite my gloom and doom yesterday my weigh-in shows I’ve lost 1.6kg which I’m really chuffed with.
    …and thanks to Igor and others for re-focussing me on what matters which is to lose fat from my middle.
    My blood sugar results have always been fine but I have slightly abnormal liver blood test results and have been diagnosed with a fatty liver.
    Hopefully onwards and downwards.

And good news Claire re the weight and oven.
    Hope everyones week 2 goes well!

I’ve now done what I should have done at start! Measured my waist.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Brilliant news Claire0310 πŸ˜ƒ Welcome Ally48 and lovetocook , Day four on holiday and struggling to keep to 800 Cal’s.Should he easy as we are self catering. I wrote the post on Sunday morning about feeling liberated from my cravings ….went and did the weekly shop without breakfast and have struggled ever since! I could at times ate a small child! Admittedly not helped by the fact that my youngest who is 6 behaviour was fairly awful! Determined to get back on track today and if I post anything top confident about how I’m feeling about my ability to resist sugar ….. shoot me!

• posted by Leasko
    on

Wow ChrissieW1968 that is fantastic news!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Leasko
    A small child, while tasty, undeniably more than 800 cals
    get back to having a satisfying breakfast and lots of water through the day and you#ll get back on track

have a great holiday

• posted by Bissell
    on

Quite low in carbs though, I would have thought? πŸ˜€

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Hi Leasko. Would a bit of holiday walking help? There’s some fantastic walks around where you are staying. We take our boys on long walks: plenty of stops, plenty of water and treats (minstrels) for them. They’ve got wooden swords and play Lord of the Rings or Lego Ninjago the whole way!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

MFP says, when I type in ‘a small child’ that it’s really good for protein and fat, but you have to watch the sugar content, depending on how many Minstrels you’ve recently fed them on a long walk…….;)

But generally more than 800 calories, as Frog says. Perhaps better avoided, for more than one reason πŸ™‚

• posted by Leasko
    on

Yes Claire0310, the walks are stunning. We did a coastal walk yesterday to a secluded beach, which was fantastic. The last bit was fairly frightening, involving rock climbing…got back just before Italian Ice cream parlour closed ,so managed to convince myself that I was meant/deserved one?!
    Today took advice and had a good breakfast, an egg on advacado and have drank a large pot of herbal tea. Bissel, probably right re small child low on carbs…both sons don’t even have an inch of fat. Going crabbing in Abereon, hoping that I won’t be looking at them just for their calorific valueπŸ˜‚

• posted by Leasko
    on

Igorasusual …never considered referring to MFP,may try and show boys as a new behavioural method!

• posted by Frog
    on

so was that a steamed small child Igor, or sauted?
    could always have part and save the rest in portions in the freezer!

Maybe with fava beans and a small chianti.

• posted by Jake100
    on

Hi, I have been trying to start the diet. Got off to a false start as we went on vacation and all hell broke loose, eating wise. I’m 55 and a mother of two young boys, ages 9 and 11. I need to lose about 30 pounds as I am currently 170 pounds. I never had a problem with my weight until I had the two boys later in life and that totally messed up my metabolism. Now at 55 menopause is adding to the issue. My weight is all around the middle and I’m sick to death of looking 3 months pregnant all the time. The worst part of it is that I find I’m miserable all the time and that is reflected back at my husband and two boys which isn’t fair. All because of how bad I feel about myself. I’ve watched all of Michael Mosley’s docs and feel that I have reached the point where I really, really need to buckle down and change my lifestyle if not just for myself then for my family as well. Having such young kids at my age I need to get and stay healthy for their sake. I’m starting the diet today and am vowing to stick with it for the initial eight weeks an then move to the 5:2 plan and follow the med style of eating as a way of life. I’m sure there will be some bumps along the road, after all, if it was easy we wouldn’t be here. Good luck to us as we venture on this journey.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome, Jake!

You can do it – I lost more than 20 lbs, from 168 lbs to (currently) 124 lbs. This is over a 12 week period. My figure has completely changed, and I am still astonished when I catch sight of myself. All my clothes, even the smallest, now fit. Just bought a jacket which I needed in an XS !!!

Do use the forum for tips – I would recommend

– using MyFitnessPal or your choice of app to log in what you eat and check the nutrients/calories. Can be a surprise!
    – measure yourself as well as weigh, and have some target garments. Weight plateaus, whilst measurements reduce
    – if you can, keep your carbs to below 50g per day. I was doing 20g per day, which is do-able, but might be tricky with a family. But it did work.
    – if you do focus on low carbs, have a very good look at what the carb content of food is…..avoid fruit, eat plenty of spinach, courgette, cauliflower as veg accompaniments, enjoy cheese (full fat is good for you), and I think trying to extend your fasting period by eating dinner early and delaying breakfast is also good.

You might want to look at this site –

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

which tells you what your calorie requirement to maintain weight is – surprisingly low for me, I thought – and will give you an idea of how to break down your calories into carbs, fat, protein for MFP. But don’t worry if you just want to stick to BSD – it’s worked for lots of people as I’m sure you’ve seen on this forum.

I was also very fed up with myself, couldn’t see how to get myself out from under – but if this worked for me, it can do for you! Keep us posted and ask any questions you need πŸ™‚

on

Welcome Jake!!!!

This Igor is one of the many that have treasure chests full of wisdom! I started my 4th week today! There is an old saying on this lifestyle (not a Diet):

If you build it, it will come!

Oh yeh, Igor is an interesting person. Why? For a guy, he loves Chick Flicks like this classic one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bsf2x-aeE

you need to go see some RAMBO, ROCKY, Planet Of The Apes, Star Trek, or Terminator movies! πŸ˜€

Live Long and Prosper!

PrincetonianStud

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Very sorry to disillusion you, Princetonian Stud, but despite my forum name……I am of the female persuasion.
    I use Igor in some of my other online personas, but couldn’t use exactly the same here, so I am Igor As Usual…..

Think Young Frankenstein…..

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

on

WHAT! I have been duped by a woman! OMG! Igor is really a lady?

Well, then if you are a woman in disguise, then I guess you do like them Chick Flicks! πŸ™‚

I guess you did not like me sharing WHEN HARRY MET SALLY flick at Katz’s Deli in NYC’s lower East Side. Look at those Monster Dagwood Sandwiches! The best in NYC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHrI0FGOOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dia5-bBHo

The Classic Meg Ryan Stunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dia5-bBHo

• posted by Red-Riding
    on

The sight of that sandwich is killing me. Day two and I am really feeling the hunger pangs this afternoon. I’m planning on a swim after work before dinner of thai curry with broccoli. I also need to do a quick shop which is never easy when hungry. I’m determined to just go down the healthy aisles for the bits I need.

It’s great to hear everyone’s challenges and coping mechanisms. I’m hoping this gets easier in time and reading through the forum is a good distraction when I would normally be eating an afternoon snack.

Plenty of water today as i felt i needed it, lots of trips to the loo and extra steps as a result. I’m taking every little win i can. I was considering jumping on the scales tomorrow to see if there is any difference, but scared in case there isnt. What are your thoughts on weighing? The book seemed to encourage it?

Please log in or register to post a reply.