Starting Tomorrow

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

I thought I’d better post as I haven’t for a while. My week has been a bit patchy. Generally OK but really poor yesterday. Eating a low fat blueberry muffin at 10am (as a treat) left me literally shaking two hours later and I succumbed to chocolate mid-afternoon. When will I learn?! Also not tracked this week which is pretty fatal for my dieting efforts.
    Away for the Bank Holiday weekend and we’re planning a big walk today. Breakfast imminently at the hotel but if I stick to low carb, I think it should be OK.
    Hope everybody else is doing OK

• posted by LibbyWick
    on

Wow, 32lb in 7 weeks! That’s fantastic. I’m just getting started and have 40lb to lose. I tried the Dukan diet but ended up worse than before. I’m so encouraged to hear about your loss.

• posted by Avila
    on

Two days ahead of my end of week 4 weigh in and the scales this morning said 93.1 kg – that is just over 6 kgs down, which is a whole stone!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Yesterday tested my blood pressure and too low – so means that the dose for my ‘high blood pressure’ meds is too high, so time to book a GP appt to get a med review. And sooner than I thought. I had been discouraged when it felt that I was getting breathless again walking the dog on the hills despite being lighter – then decided to check my blood pressure instead.

I am 41 and been on BP meds for over 2 years. Triggered by side effects of other meds but despite coming off those meds at the time I was stuck with the high BP, and a year ago was put up to a higher dose… Well it looks like that will be coming down! I am going to take the tablets on alt days until get appt. (checked with a friend who is a Dr).

Really pleased to have reached such landmarks end of week 4 even with my ‘moments’ off the wagon.

• posted by Avila
    on

How are other August starters doing at the half way mark?

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi all! I just got back from holiday last night and…I lost 0.5kg on holiday!! I ate bread most days but managed to be in france and italy for 12 days and not have a single croissant, or chocolate, and only one ball of ice cream, so i’m pretty pleased with that. (We also did an awful lot of walking, and some cycling and swimming too!!) Back on it seriously now though, aiming to lose 8 kgs in the next 5 weeks (end of September). Bring it on!!! Thanks to you all for the encouragement and motivation. Happy bank holiday!

PS not read all posts while I’ve been away but Avila, well done!!! Amazing work. Claire, I know how you feel, isn’t it crazy how all of a sudden sugar makes you ill?! Must have been happening all the time but we just didn’t feel it. Enjoy your time away, you’re doing great xx

• posted by Bissell
    on

Wow abisaysyes, brilliant work! It just shows it CAN be done.
    Good luck with getting back on board, I’m sure those kg will fly off by September. πŸ‘

• posted by Avila
    on

A lovely long dog walk in bank holiday sun – 3 hours and about 8 miles based on steps…. And didn’t feel as hard work as would expect, though still having a nice sit down now!

Week 5 day one – raw weigh in first thing was 92.3 kg

• posted by Frog
    on

sounds lovely Avila
    No dog, and not much sun here!

• posted by EdCel
    on

Hello,
    I havent posted much but have enjoyed reading everyone’s updates. I’ve lost 11kg so far in total so am 4kg off a normal BMI. Obviously I’m really delighted with that. I would disagree with the things in the book which say the hunger goes away because sometimes I feel sick of being hungry all the time but it’s worth pressing on. My sugar cravings haven’t really gone away either and am worried about indulging them on the other side but am staying firm for now. Got a few meals out coming up so need to keep focussed. Hope others are doing ok.
    Ed

• posted by PrincetonianStud
    on

Hello; I’m Mr. Ed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU

Just love making a wise crack when sitting all day at Armstrong and Arthur Ashe Stadiums. Maybe cutting all that sugar out gives you a high as if you smoked weed. LOL More like an energy burst. Well, a month later I am getting less shin splints. I guess Charlie’s Horse is not Mr. Princetonian!

2 hours to watch rapahael nadal win. He is a master of Paris’ dirt court. Isner did an ass whipping this afternoon! YAY! I have to root for an american, eh?

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Morning all. I was thinking of starting a new thread called HELP!! But as you are all already here…

Well it’s happened: I start off full of resolve but after, say, 3 weeks, I begin the slow slide downwards. Nothing dramatic, more slow motion failure. It starts with not tracking food intake and then graduates to chocolate and biscuits.

So, pretty much failed over the last 10 days and need a bit of help to re-focus and re-energise. The big difference this time is that I’m not now searching around for something new (maybe I’ll do Slimming World…) as I absolutely know that the BSD works and make sense for me.

I’m 50 on 3 October and have two parties to go to with old friends. I really don’t want to be the fat one sitting in the corner but how on earth do I remember this when (literally) completely absent mindedly eating an entire bag of Minstrels?!

HELP!!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning Claire. It’s not easy is it? But the great thing is that you keep posting and searching for solutions, rather than thinking “sod it, I might as well give in”. Everyone is an individual, but here is what has worked for me. (A serial up and downer)

I don’t have anything in the house I might gravitate to in weak moments. This is easy for me as I live alone, not so easy if living with family.
    I actually feel so much better and just looking at the ‘wrong’ food makes me feel queasy. I know, who would have thought it?!
    I plan my food for the week and shop accordingly. Then I don’t have to think and there is no wriggle room.
    I drink about 8 pints water a day. When I’m hungry, I sink another pint. Or have a cuppa.
    I use quite a lot of salt.
    I’ve chucked my old big clothes away (so if I regain weight I will have to go naked, not a good thought) and I revel in buying the odd new thing.

You will need to find the things that motivate you, only you know what they are. But you can do it.
    Best of luck.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Claire I am struggling too x (and have thought the same about you renaming the threadπŸ˜‚) I have read Bissels wise words of encouragement and it’s made me rethink the Frosties that were calling to me from the cupboard! (I know people will be shocked that we even have Frosties in the house but my slim partner brought them for a sleepover party the boys had on Wednesday night). Bissel, I have meant to say, too am a nurse πŸ˜ƒ

I’d got to the point that I was thinking that I might start again on Monday, (boy’s back at school) but you have spurred me on NOT to give up x I have avoided the scales during the past week…. but plan to go and stand on them. (I feel like this post is a bit like Scot’s last letter?! If I never post again it’s because I have put all the weight I have lost on!)

• posted by karenv
    on

Hiya Claire, Leasko and all who are struggling this week πŸ™‚

Add me to the list…I have been very patchy the last few weeks, had a bit of bad news and diet just went off the rails completely. Chocolate, traybakes, gin, crisps, pizza – you name it I ate it πŸ™ At the start of the last two weeks I kept saying, Right, time to get back on track, but I fell back into old bad habits…chocolate from the vending machine at work, something sweet when I had coffee, etc…not big things but they all added up.

So, I need to get back on track too – let’s encourage each other πŸ™‚ What helped me last time a lot was posting here regularly and also keeping a food diary, so I’m going to get back to doing that.

I read a great book a while ago on willpower and self control – written by a psychologist – it’s excellent and she has lots of great tips for maximising your self control. Not your average airy fairy self help book, this one is practical and is backed by proper science πŸ™‚

It’s called The Willpower Instinct, you can buy it in paperback here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Willpower-Instinct-Kelly-McGonigal/dp/1583335080/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This particular edition doesn’t have a Kindle version, but an earlier edition (exact same book, but it had a slightly different title) has a Kindle version if you prefer that :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maximum-Willpower-master-science-self-control/dp/0230761550/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Anyway, my tips for getting back on track (which I must now start adhering to myself!!) are:
    – reread the BSD book (especially the inspirational stories of people who’ve done so well
    – read the forums for inspiration too
    – post regularly about my progress to keep me focused
    – put everything I eat in my food tracker (Myfitnesspal for me)
    – keep temptation out of the house (or hide it if it belongs to someone else – my boyfriend has bread so I put it away so I’m not tempted)
    – drink lots of water
    – give myself a weekly treat as a reward for good compliance that week (nails done, a book, some makeup etc)
    – I keep a few cals a day to have a small treat like yoghurt and berries in the evening so I don’t feel deprived

They are different for everyone of course but that’s what helps me!

Good luck everyone, let’s encourage each other to get back on the horse

kxx

• posted by karenv
    on

oh and I forgot! I tend to graze mindlessly when I have nothing to do/watching television etc…so next week I’m going to get back to yoga classes…there’s classes I can go to every day (I have a monthly pass), and if I go straight after work, then I have less time to eat crap at home (and I’m less inclined to as I feel all healthy and good)

Not everyone has the time funds or inclination to go to classes all the time of course…there’s a very good online streaming service called Ekhart Yoga, you can sign up and try it for 1 Euro for a month, after that it’s 12 euro 50 a month but you can cancel whenever. It has hundreds of online yoga classes from very good teachers and also beginner courses if that’s your thing. They work on computer, tablet or phone. Well worth a go if you like (or would like to try) yoga πŸ™‚ and as I say less time to eat things haha!

https://www.ekhartyoga.com

• posted by karenv
    on

starting again this week, half stone on but that’s what I expected…here’s to a better week this week for all of us

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hey everyone! How’s it going? I…errr…. am not doing so great, and putting the weight back on!!! ARgh. So going to be on it again from tomorrow. Anyone want to join me for a second bout? Or are you all doing great and lost all you need to lose already, and it’s just me floundering?! Hope you’re all well xxx

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just to say, abisaysyes, welcome to the club of all of us who fall off the wagon and feel bad about it.

CONGRATULATIONS on wanting to climb back on, and the good news is that you can and you’ve not been bad and wrong you’ve been human. πŸ™‚

Everyone has a fail or indeed more than one, and instead of deciding that you’ve completely messed it up, you can start again at any point – and in fact the weight you gained will probably fall off again quite quickly.

If you can learn from what went wrong – did you have temptation lying round, did you have some stress, did you not plan in advance and have the right food – whatever went wrong, if you can understand it then maybe next time you won’t do it, or you will manage to do less.

This isn’t easy if you have a CARB MONSTER on your shoulder whispering in your ear…..but we’ve been taught to eat the wrong way, and you need to KICK THE MONSTER not KICK YOURSELF.

So welcome back on to the wagon, I don’t think you will have missed too much and you come back wiser, which is a WIN whichever way you look at it.

Well done, and WELCOME BACK again πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by Avila
    on

Hi Abisaysyes,

As an Aug 1st starter this should be week 8 but 3 and bit weeks of walking behind the wagon instead of riding on it. I am still down from my start point and climbed back on the wagon this week.

You can get it going again, as yes wiser too…

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Hi. I’ve been meaning to post for ages but I’ve been really busy at work. I too have pretty much fallen off the wagon but luckily not put on any weight. .I’ve been ‘BSDy’ for the meals but failing on the crisp, chocolate and wine front.

I’m 50 on Monday (totally distraught and in denial) and am going to various parties and going on holiday next week. I’m going to start again properly after that although I’ll continue to avoid bread which gives me stomach ache. I’ve also got a friend doing BSD now which is good.

So I suppose the next goal would be Xmas. A stone off by then? Possibly going to Rome between Xmas and New Year so that would be a good incentive.

• posted by karenv
    on

I’ve started again in earnest too. Hopefully this eight week block will go well. Need to watch my evenings and cravings for bread, choc etc – days are fine. Good luck, everyone who’s starting again or continuing on – I’m here to cheer you on πŸ™‚

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your encouragement, it means a lot and really works!! I am now losing again, hooray, and back on low carb. Not quite back to 800 cals but I think if i can stick to very low carbs I will be ok as my hunger is much reduced. Just need to watch my nut intake!! How are you all doing this week? X

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Just wondering if anyone is still out there? My progress has been patchy to say the least and I’m planning a re-launch tomorrow. Pretty good at eliminating carbohydrates but less good at sticking to strict calorie targets. My working day has been 10 – 11 hours over the last few weeks (clearly unsustainable) and this has resulted in over-eating. Be good to hear from anybody who is struggling like me! Also be good to hear from anybody with a ‘thinner by Xmas’ target!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Claire0310 …. HUGS …

I’ve had my ups and downs. I am aiming for Dec. 10 for a half way point of under 200 pounds. Then i aim to go 5:2 for a while and start up again in 2017.

I’m more active in other threads … Starting 10th October ; It works for older women too ; and Positive thoughts.

While being sick with sinus/cold problem ,,, and now a shoulder injury from a fall … didn’t really prevent me from sticking to BSD … i found myself depressed and unable to do aquabics which is my favorite and main exercise until now.

I am hoping in can raise my right arm enough to wash my hair … and get on my bathing suit without to much pain … i am dying to get into the pool again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.